Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #51
Vince
Pro Starter

Sigh. If we lose game one in double OT by giving up a two-goal lead in the third period, I think things aren't looking so hot
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #52
kingfc22
Head Coach

Man, what a sorry power play there.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #53
Vince
Pro Starter

Anyone know of a place outside of Yahoo that has an updated box score? I can't watch right now, and their page sucks for letting me know how much time is left, etc.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #54
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Sharks win!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #55
kingfc22
Head Coach

What a way to make up for that mistake in the 3rd. Woooooo!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #56
Vince
Pro Starter

HELL YEAH!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #57
Pyser
Pro Rookie

2 ot games already, and it sure looks like anaheim-minn could go to ot too

how could you not love this?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #58
bhlloy
Coordinator

Backstrom is the real deal - the Wild are going to be a very tough team throughout this series. I think it goes to at least six and I have no idea who comes out the winner.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #59
kingfc22
Head Coach

Stars have a great chance here with a 5 on 3 in the second OT period.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #60
kingfc22
Head Coach

And we are now in 3OT
Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #61
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

This game will just not end.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #62
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Uh, where did the game go? My VS station is now showing an informercial.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 04-12-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:21 AM   #63
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Looking at the Versus message boards...

Way to fuck this up Versus.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:35 AM   #64
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

In case anyone's still up, the Canucks just won it 5-4 by scoring with 2 minutes left in the 4th OT. I think it registered as the 5th or 6th longest game in NHL history. Good result for them after blowing a 4-2 lead with 12 minutes left in the 3rd period. For Luongo's first career playoff game, he faced about 76 shots.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 AM   #65
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 AM   #66
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

You also gotta love this from the pregame injury report in the Canucks' game:

"Vancouver D Brent Sopel won't play after hurting his back trying to pick up a cracker from the floor Tuesday."
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #67
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens just got roughed up

Disallowed goal, while not a difference maker, was a terrible call. I truly believe that any other player in the league that is allowed--not because of some conspiracy against Crosby, but because the thinking of he was trying to make that play.

And typical Bryan Murray coached team end of game crap--high sticks and trips all over, but nobody to drop the gloves.

Thank God it's only one game.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
For the record, I'm watching the Sharks and Predators (second overtime coming up!) on NHL Center Ice right now.

Thanks for this info, Pumpy.

I checked the "guide" on my digitial cable and no games showed up, so I didn't even try those channels. I will not make the same mistake again.

I am glad I decided to go to bed after the first period of the Dallas-Vancouver game. There's no way in hell I could have stayed up for all 4 OTs.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #69
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Thanks for this info, Pumpy.

I checked the "guide" on my digitial cable and no games showed up, so I didn't even try those channels. I will not make the same mistake again.

I am glad I decided to go to bed after the first period of the Dallas-Vancouver game. There's no way in hell I could have stayed up for all 4 OTs.

Just tune to one of the Center Ice channels when the games aren't on (e.g. now) and on the screen (with the stupid background music playing) it will list the schedule of today's games.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Just tune to one of the Center Ice channels when the games aren't on (e.g. now) and on the screen (with the stupid background music playing) it will list the schedule of today's games.

Excellent! I avoid those channels like the plague exactly because of that stupid background music. I hate it so... very... much...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #71
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Got to watch the Pens/Sens game live... holy smokes, this one might be done in four.

Pittsburgh just looked outclassed in every possible way. They're a skill and speed team but they couldn't keep up with Ottawa. The Pens looked overwhelmed by the whole playoff experience, the Sens looked like "been there done that". The Penguins really looked like kids playing with grownups. Not to mention Fleury having the yips all night.

And on top of that, when the game was decided it was Ottawa that started the physical stuff. Pittsburgh should have been in "send a message" mode in the third, but instead the Sens were pounding away at them. That's not good. If it's the playoffs, and Ottawa is playing tougher than you are, then you're pretty much done as a contender.

It's only one game, but I didn't see anything at all that would give me any optimism as a Pens fan.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #72
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

As I was about to go to bed at 1am, I thought about checking out the games to see if there were any still going. I'm glad I didn't. I never would've gotten to sleep if I had watched a game go to four overtimes. My goodness, what a start to this year's playoffs.

As for the games I did watch, the Penguins just looked terrible. I missed the first period, but they apparently only got 4 shots on goal in the first, so I didn't miss much from them. I agree with Suburban Rhythm that the disallowed goal against Crosby was a horrible call. I can't see any defense for the video goal judge's decision. The Penguins were finally getting some momentum, and it got sucked away on something like that. The Senators didn't even try to hide that they were out there to physically hurt the Penguins once the score hit 6-1. The high sticks and tripping got way out of hand, and two Pens were left with bloody jerseys by the time the game was over. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sens are good little boys in Game 2 when the refs will really be watching them.

I only caught the final 10 minutes of regulation and the overtimes in Nashville. The Predators made a hell of a comeback. Radulov's goal to make it 4-3 was one of the prettiest goals I've seen in a while. It was one of those plays that just couldn't be stopped. It doesn't matter who's defending him or who's in the net. He's just going to make that play. The Preds showed a ton of energy at the end of regulation, and they carried it over into the first overtime. The Sharks just seemed to be more composed than the Preds in the second overtime, though, and that's how they won the game. They relied on Nabokov to keep them in it, and when an opportunity came for a game-winner, they took advantage of it. It's probably not the best way to win a multi-overtime game -- you'd probably want to be more aggressive -- but it worked.

What kind of excitement do the playoffs have for us tonight?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #73
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
And on top of that, when the game was decided it was Ottawa that started the physical stuff. Pittsburgh should have been in "send a message" mode in the third, but instead the Sens were pounding away at them. That's not good. If it's the playoffs, and Ottawa is playing tougher than you are, then you're pretty much done as a contender.

Quote:
The high sticks and tripping got way out of hand, and two Pens were left with bloody jerseys by the time the game was over. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sens are good little boys in Game 2 when the refs will really be watching them.

Where were Schubert and Neil when Laraque was on the ice? He was out there pretty often in the final 10 minutes. Schubert had to problem trying to run people the first 50 minutes of the game, but like I said, it became all sticks.

When the Pens started to hit back, the sticks come up. Orpik steps up on Alfredsson in the neutral zone, Alfie 'defends' himself with a stick to the chops.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #74
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Pens, for a lack of a better term, looked like chickens with the heads cut off. Especially in the first period. I think Fluery kept them in the game as long as humanly possible. Without him that game could've been easily 5-0 after the first period. I also noticed that anytime Malkin got near the puck he was checked. I think the word around the league is to hit him because by doing that it is easy to take him out of the game that way. The one time it was pretty close to being knee on knee and nothing was called, it was a trip at least.

They have a few days to regroup and settle down. There was a stat on TV last night that the Sens have never gone up 2-0 in a series. They now know what it is like to be in a playoff game, and no matter if they lost 8-0 or 2-1, they are still only down 1 game to none. Hopefully they will step up the physical play, they cannot go through a series and expect to win if they get beat around like they did in the first two periods.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #75
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
The one time it was pretty close to being knee on knee and nothing was called, it was a trip at least.

Schubert...again.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #76
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Where were Schubert and Neil when Laraque was on the ice? He was out there pretty often in the final 10 minutes. Schubert had to problem trying to run people the first 50 minutes of the game, but like I said, it became all sticks.
I really doubt Neil goes anywhere near Laraque. Neil likes to think of himself as a tough guy, but during the playoffs he switches to "agitator" mode. Remember his turtle act against Dingman last year? Expect more of the same this year if Laraque gets a hold of him.

That said, it's pretty clear that Laraque isn't a good enough player to be on the ice in a close game, so I can't see him having much impact unless a game turns into a total goon show.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #77
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Stayed up till 4 watching the Canucks/Stars. The fact each team hit 4 goals amazed me more then the four OT.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #78
Pyser
Pro Rookie

hey, DeTox, when did you shorten your name?

i styaed up for the whole game too. gotta live living on the west coast.

wearing my devils jersey to work today. it is on!!!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #79
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
hey, DeTox, when did you shorten your name?

Switched it a few weeks ago when it kept bothering me because it was so long.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #80
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
wearing my devils jersey to work today. it is on!!!
My wife is wearing a Flames jersey today. I know when I was in college, I never saw a professor wearing a hockey jersey. If I had, that person would be my friend for life.

I'm not wearing a jersey at work today, but I'll be wearing one when I go bowling tonight. It's going to be a New Orleans VooDoo jersey, though. What is wrong with me?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #81
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
My wife is wearing a Flames jersey today. I know when I was in college, I never saw a professor wearing a hockey jersey. If I had, that person would be my friend for life.
Dola

Now that I think about it, some college student is probably going to try to become my wife's friend. Oh, shit.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #82
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola

Now that I think about it, some college student is probably going to try to become my wife's friend. Oh, shit.

Actually at Seton Hill I'd be more worried about a girl becoming your wife's "friend" if you catch my drift..
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #83
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Actually at Seton Hill I'd be more worried about a girl becoming your wife's "friend" if you catch my drift..
I'm putting fresh batteries in the camera right now.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
My wife is wearing a Flames jersey today.

No. Me. Gusta.

If sent her a Wings jersey would she wear it? Would you wear it and post a picture?

I have spares.

She could have her choice of Keith Primeau, Rick Zombo, Sergei Fedorov, or Petr Klima.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #85
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

No. Me. Gusta.

If sent her a Wings jersey would she wear it? Would you wear it and post a picture?

I have spares.

She could have her choice of Keith Primeau, Rick Zombo, Sergei Fedorov, or Petr Klima.
She might wear it if you convinced her that it was an Aerosmith jersey. I would absolutely not wear it under any circumstances. Petr Klima is overrated.

OK, MY WORK HERE IS DONE!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #86
st.cronin
General Manager

otoh, Sergei Fedorov is very underrated

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #87
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
otoh, Sergei Fedorov is very underrated
GO BLUE JACKETS!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #88
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There are still tickets available for tonight's game. Quite a few. Not just single seats either, rows of seats.

It's official, the Wings have become the Atlanta Braves of the NHL.

I think the lack of interest in the Wings is multi-fold.

1. One main reason is Yzerman retiring. When Yzerman retired, that severed the deep connection between many fans and the team. Yzerman was an amazing talent and force of personality (in his own quiet, humble way) that is rare in sports, in any era, but particularly so today with free agency being what it is. Despite the fact that holdovers like Lidstrom, Draper, Maltby, etc. are still around they are not and never will be Yzerman. The team has changed and fans haven’t really kept up. I think Zetterberg has a chance to capture some that magic and Datsyuk may, but not until he gets over that “ice-dancer who crumbles in the playoffs” image.

They Tigers have had a slogan the last two years: “Who’s your Tiger?” I love it. (Mine’s Sean Casey, by the way). How many Wings' fans could honestly answer “Who’s your Red Wing?” I guess I would say Zetterberg, but that’s more by default than anything else.

2. The next big reason is the combination of the Wings' past playoff successes and the Wings' recent history of early round playoff collapses. First round of playoffs? So what? It’s quite an emotional and financial investment to go to a first round hockey game. People aren’t willing to pay that price after getting burned three years in a row. It’s going to take the Wings getting into the second or third round before people start realizing that this team may be on the verge of something. There's also the "been there, done that" mentality.

3. The other reasons are a conglemeration of the poor Michigan economy, ridiculously expensive ticket prices, and the success of the Tigers/Pistons. Sure, all these things play some role in the lack of interest in the Wings, but not as much as people are giving them credit for. Though, $68 for "standing room" tickets is ridiculously high. I don't know what playoff ticket prices are like in other cities, but feels VERY expensive to me.

I listen to a lot of sports talk radio on my to and from work. The most sustained Red Wing talk I heard all year was during the “10th Anniversay of the March 26, 1997 Colorado/Detroit ‘Bloodbath’ Game”. Now, that is clearly the greatest regular season game of all time (of any sport), but it’s odd to see a 10 year old event generate far more excitement and energy than anything that happened during a 110 point season, which included one of the Wings’ biggest acquisitions (pun not intended) (Bertuzzi) since the Shanahan trade.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There are still tickets available for tonight's game. Quite a few. Not just single seats either, rows of seats.

FWIW, I just tried to find 2 in both the upper & lower sections & got the "no tickets available" message for tonight.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #90
bronconick
College Starter

H-B, over on one of the Red Wings' sites, the issue is that a lot of season ticket holders (like 3 or 4 thousand) turned down their playoff tickets, as one guy mentioned his season tickets were something like $4,500, and they wanted $6,000 for the playoffs alone.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #91
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
H-B, over on one of the Red Wings' sites, the issue is that a lot of season ticket holders (like 3 or 4 thousand) turned down their playoff tickets, as one guy mentioned his season tickets were something like $4,500, and they wanted $6,000 for the playoffs alone.

Yeah, the number I heard was 2,500. 2,500 season ticket holders decided not to purchase playoffs tickets. Apparently the Wings have more season ticket holders than the typical franchise, but that's still quite a few.

I head something similar about the price for playoff tickets. I don't know the exact math, but I think prices double for the first two rounds and then keep going up after that.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #92
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
FWIW, I just tried to find 2 in both the upper & lower sections & got the "no tickets available" message for tonight.

That would be quite a commute, Jon. Private jet?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
That would be quite a commute, Jon. Private jet?

Hey, it's playoff hockey
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #94
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Red Wings ticket prices will only keep rising too especially once they build this new stadium that's rumored. It's not going to be good.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #95
bhlloy
Coordinator

FWIW, I wouldn't be caught dead watching a Red Wings game because of the style they play and the fact that Andreas Lilja is the toughest guy on the ice.

I have no idea if that has anything to do with Detroit fans reasoning (I figure at least some of the hardcore must have been weaned on Probert and Kocur) but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #96
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
FWIW, I wouldn't be caught dead watching a Red Wings game because of the style they play and the fact that Andreas Lilja is the toughest guy on the ice.

Wings do play a rather boring style of play but as a Ducks fan you can't really split hairs (minus the fighting they do).
Old 04-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #97
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Wings do play a rather boring style of play but as a Ducks fan you can't really split hairs (minus the fighting they do).

Fighting, hitting, standing up for each other and generally playing hockey like I want to see it played is actually what I was getting at. I hated the Wings with Yzerman, McCarty & Lapointe but they played old school hockey & I respected them.

And with McDonald & Selanne the Ducks aren't that boring I don't think
Old 04-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #98
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I have no idea if that has anything to do with Detroit fans reasoning (I figure at least some of the hardcore must have been weaned on Probert and Kocur) but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Style they play? Too much puck possession? Too much skill? Too much finese? It's not dump and chase hockey and certainly not rough and tumble, furthest thing from it, but when it's clicking, it's a great style of hoceky to watch. It's not like watching the Devils in the mid-to-late 90's.

That said, there is something to it. Between the end of the Brad Norton Era (all 6 games of it) and the begining of the Todd Bertuzzi Era (all 8 games of it), Andrea Lilja was the "toughest" player on the ice. We all feel much shame for that.

There are a ton of Wings fans out there, the vast majority, that would love for the team to get a tough guy. I mean, fans on one Wings' board were going crazy when the Wings decided not to pick up Ktystof Oliwa when he was waived last year. They are that desperate for some team toughness. I miss the Bruise Brothers days. They were a lot of fun, but that era's past.

There's no doubt that the Wings would be more popular if they had a little more grit to their game and toughness, a little more "blue collar" if you will. Even back in the day I remember sitting next to fan in the Joe was constantly complaining about how the Wings had "too many Russians" and needed to trade them all for Keith Tkachuk. The stars of this team are the "Euro Twins" (Datsyuk and Zetterberg) and Lidstrom, an insanely good defensemen, but his game has no physical aspect to it at all. It's a tough pill for a lot of fans to swallow.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #99
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Flippula scores his first career playoff goal 5 minutes in to give the Wings a 1-0 lead.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #100
DeToxRox
Head Coach

2-0 Wings as Lidstrom scores a PPG off a shot that went wide and deflected off Stuarts stick into his own net.