Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2003, 01:02 PM   #51
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade
I am interested in participating, but I must confess, I did not follow the old Group Think threads. How does this work? Do you need FOF4 to do this?

Well, if we do it right and post enough printouts, you may not need FOF4 for some jobs. However, having it, playing it, and knowing its nuances is good though. Basically, a group think takes a team, and uses several people's input in making decisions for that team. Someone puts all this into the game and we sim, and see how everything comes out.

Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:13 PM   #52
Mike47
n00b

Blade, I would recommend having the game. It would just make things easier on everyone. There is a post in this thread that sort of describes what a RBs coach would be responsible for. That should give you an idea of what to expect for any position group. A scout...I'm sure you can figure it out :-)

Let me know what you think.
Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:23 PM   #53
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

My choices for expansion Draft

My picks for the expansion draft
here are my choices for the expansion draft. I have noted the costs beside each ball player. The overall costs will be lower because FOFC4 will strip the bonus from them when we select them. Houston had to pickup these charges in the NFL.
The advantage is we can drop these guys without penalty if they do not pan out or even before camp if better FA are found.
They are listed by position and there are really ony 19 viable choices
QB None
RB-None
FB- Bryan Johnson $450K
TE Brody heffner-Liddard- 380K
TE-John Jones- 400K
WR Derius Thompson-400K
WR Nate Turner-300K
WR Bryan Gilmore-300K
C-david Infante-Diaz-550K
T-Flozell Adams 4.920K
DE-John Hilliard 380K
DT Ryan Picket-550K
MLB-jeff kelly 530K
MLB Keith Burns- 750K
SLB Ted Johnston-3800K
SLB- Don Davis-850K
CB-None
S-john dale Carty-450K
S-Chris Atkins-530K
S-Anthoy Dorsett-720K

Total cost of this group of has beens and never will be's is 16.3 million.

Your scout
Strait8
strait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:40 PM   #54
Mike47
n00b

Opps, I didnt see Tasan's response to Blade. Sorry 'bout that.

As I've said before, I like to let my coordinators dictate what type of team we should build. After all, they are the ones working directly with the players, they should have what they work best with.

With that said, I do think we need to put emphasis on the OL first and foremost on offense and on defense, the front 7 (I would say DL but I'm still not sure what Tasan wants to use (4-3, 3-4)).

I think you guys nailed right on the head when discussing bringing in an elite RB to build around. I agree we need this type of player to fit our offense, but I am not sure he needs to be brought in right away. I've always been a believer that RB is probably the easiest position to just get "thrown in to" unlike a young QB for instance. I don't think we should jump the gun and force ourselves to find our franchise RB, especially with the draft class that we know awaits. I doubt Willie Green or TJ Duckett are the answer here.

As far as the expansion draft goes, I have to select 20 players. I will not be taking a player who makes a significant amount of money (over 8 or 900K) unless they are going to be a starter (or close to it). I also will try to stay away from taking players who have long contracts. Idealy, I would like to use the expansion draft to get players that will be low on the depth chart; fillers. A 3rd string QB (not Ty Detmer), a backup FB, our dimeback, a #4 DE or OLB etc. The only exception may be Amani Toomer.

Toomer is scheduled to make 3.8M this season and 4M the next. The FOF scout has him rated as a 44 for both current and potential. He may be the one player we can land and use as a starter from the expansion draft. I don't see why we wouldn't want to take him. He may be overpaid slightly, but it's one less hole we'd have to fill and he has a short contract.

Well that's it for now, I'm going to start looking at some players. I'll let you guys know my specific plan of attack for the expansion draft once I have a chance to look at it more carefully. But in order to do that I need one thing from the coordinators:

Now that I know what kind of systems we want to use I need to know what kind of players, specifically, will fit this system. Possesion WRs? Big bulky building moving OL? Fast DEs? Cover CBs? Let me know what you guys are looking for. I'll wait to make a selection until I have your guys' blueprints.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:46 PM   #55
Mike47
n00b

To sum up that last post:

We've established our approach. Now I, as general manager, need to know what kind of players are going to work for the systems our coordinators are going to use.

Once that is done, I'll make the 20 selections on paper, I'll post them here and get feedback. If you guys approve I'll upload a new league file.

Stay tuned...
Old 02-13-2003, 03:49 PM   #56
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike47
Toomer is scheduled to make 3.8M this season and 4M the next. The FOF scout has him rated as a 44 for both current and potential. He may be the one player we can land and use as a starter from the expansion draft. I don't see why we wouldn't want to take him. He may be overpaid slightly, but it's one less hole we'd have to fill and he has a short contract.

Now that I know what kind of systems we want to use I need to know what kind of players, specifically, will fit this system. Possesion WRs? Big bulky building moving OL? Fast DEs? Cover CBs? Let me know what you guys are looking for. I'll wait to make a selection until I have your guys' blueprints.

We should grab toomer if he is available. That 2 year contract will be gone by the time we need the money. We will go with a 4-3 this year. I want run stopping DLs for now, and pass rushing LBs. I like my CBs high on man-to-man, and my FS needs good cover skills, and the SS needs to be a big hitter. This being said, we may just fill in with whatever we have this year. I eventually want us in a 3-4, but its usually easier to fill in a 4-3 early.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #57
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

delete message

Deleted messages

Last edited by strait8 : 02-13-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #58
Mike47
n00b

Tasan, it may be better for the team to use a 3-4 right off the bat. With team cohesion taken into account and all, why don't we just start fresh with a 3-4? If that's what you want to use I don't see any benefit in waiting. No use getting some players used to 4-3 and then switching, it will only set us back.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:02 PM   #59
SaintAnselm
n00b

I agree with Mike on the defensive alignment. We might as well start out with what we evetually plan to go with. As far as picking up a RB, I agree that it can wait, and that there will not be one in this draft most likely.
SaintAnselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:15 PM   #60
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Are we still pre expansion draft file?

I was just wondering as i do not have Armani toomer as FA in my WR's.

In regard to FA's. I can llok at the potential FA group and see some spectacular guys who will be available inexpensively.

I used the two followig settings to filter:
Future potential Up to 6 years Max salary 2.3 mill
Current value up to 9 Years Max salary 3.23 Mill

On the Oline look at
Jeff Smith Under 2.3Mill. This guy looks like the type of guy who will get 35-45 KRB and only allow 4-5 sacks per season.

Kevin long C-is also available at around 970K per season.

Kerry jenkins NJ Jets 6years<3.2 mil/yr. This guy would also be a great additon.

Three FA prospects that cone up under Future potential filter are:
All of these guys are available for minimum salary. They usually can be signed to two years for a 20K bonus. At least one of the three sHould develop into a starter.
Darryl Allen -T. Patrick vickers-G Robert Benson T

Another area of Strength in the draft is Safety.

Look at Tony Parrish SS and Kieth Lyle are asking for 1.8 and Eric Brown is 2.3. We should be able to sign any 2 of them and have two great ball hawkig safeties.

Other potential bargins are Ricky Dudley and Cam Cleeland at TE and Earl holmes at SLB.

At receiver Bill schroeder looks like the best and should be signed.

The biggest question I see is Drew Bledsole his asking price is under 1.84. I would think he could be ours for 4 years 10 million.
Or do we go after David carr aka Robert ingersoll at 20 Mill+ in the draft.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:24 PM   #61
Blade
College Prospect

Well, I don't have FOF4 yet, so I am out.

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:11 PM   #62
Mike47
n00b

Allright here it is. My Mock Expansion Draft. I haven't actually selected this players as of yet, but plan on doing so if you guys approve.

FB Bryan Johnson
A blocking FB who might catch a ball or two out of the backfield. However, no promises on whether or not he'll hold on to it for very long.
Projected Roster Spot: FB2 of 2

TE Brody Heffner-Liddiard
A potential pass blocking TE with good hands who seems to be a shoe in for some easy third downs conversions.
Projected Roster Spot: TE2 of 3

TE Ryan Prince
This guy was picked on his potential. Not much to say about someone who will be your 3rd string TE, but he does seem to have a nack for getting open.
Project Roster Spot: TE3 of 3

WR Amani Toomer
I can't wait to see what this guys Yards per catch will end up being. Toomer will be one of the only significant cap hits we take out of this expansion draft at $3.0M this year and $3.2M the next. Regardless, pulling a starter out of an FOF expansion draft is too hard to pass up. Especially since he'll be our featured punt returner as well.
Projected Roster Spot: WR2 of 6

WR Brian Gilmore
I'm not sure what all the hype is about this guy (40 potential) but I'd rather take a chance on him than some of the other scrubs available. He's cheap and is a hometown boy from Lufkin, TX. There's my excuse.
Projected Roster Spot: WR6 of 6

WR Isaac Byrd
Nothing special about Isaac, just your average filler WR. Welcome to Houston!
Projected Roster Spot: WR5 of 6

WR Tai Streets
Another WR out of U of M, Streets is basically a more finely tuned version of our very own Isaac Byrd. However, Tai is 3 years younger and has just enough talent, in just the right places, which should allow him to make an impact on this team.
Projected Roster Spot: WR4 of 6

C David Diaz-Infante
Just about the only C available who can actually run block. Here's our first OL guys, he should make for a nice backup at the center position.
Projected Roster Spot: C2 of 2

C Lonnie Paxton
Lonnie was originally overlooked, but being that the expansion draft does not offer one respectable G who can actually run-block, Lonnie Paxton gets the nod. We'll fit him in somewhere.
Projected Roster Spot: G4 of 4

T Melvin Tuten
Melvin is a rare run-blocking T who will fit our offense nicely. Granteed, he's a career reserve at best but Mr. Tuten just might pop open a few holes from the depths of his roster slot.
Projected Roster Spot: T4 of 4

T Flozell Adams
Flozell was the last pick I made. Having passed on him originally, it came down to a combination of him being the best available player, by far and him fitting a team need. He is certainly overpaid for what his role will be, a #3 T (2 at best) but he only had one year remaining on his contract and can always be released.

DEFENSE

DE Joe Tafoya
What do you know!? A 4th string run stopping DE.
Projected Roster Spot: DE4 of 4

DT Leif Larsen
This Texas-El Paso grad could hold his own on run support and should supply an added incentive with his pass rushing potential...If he gets on the field.
Projected Roster Spot: DT3 of 3

ILB Tommy Hendricks
Hendricks was selected because he's a role player. Simply put; this guy is a blitzer. As long as he's not left hung out to dry in pass coverage Houston, Texas' own Tommy Hendricks should add a spark to our pass rush when he comes in on 3rd and longs.
Projected Roster Spot: ILB3 of 4

ILB Dhani Jones
Dhani Jones is a more well-rounded ILB than his former Michigan Wolverine teammate Hendricks, and will add solid depth to the inside of our LB corps. Look for Jones to be a solid contributer on special teams in the near future as well.
Projected Roster Spot: ILB4 of 4

OLB Brant Boyer
A well rounded reserve, Boyer will be best served giving the starters a quick breather and contributing to special teams.
Projected Roster Spot: OLB3 of 4

OLB Don Davis
Davis was one of the last picks I made. It was between him and Atlanta's Arlie Ulmer. Davis can't play run defense at all and he's not much of a cover LB. His strengths lie in blitzing and his role on special teams.
Projected Roster Spot: OLB4 of 4

CB Ken Lucas
Lucas isn't exactly what we're looking for in a corner but he will work as a #5 guy. He is pretty well rounded and may chip in occasionally on kick returns.
Projected Roster Spot: CB5 of 5

S David Gibson
Gibson could be a solid SS on guaranteed passing downs, but I'd look for this big hitter to make a name for himself on special teams.
Projected Roster Spot: S3 of 4

S John Dale Carty
Carty is listed as a SS but he gets selected, along-side Gibson, for his ability to (hopefully) handle both safety positions within our defense. One dimensional in his pass coverages, Carty, if anything else, will knock a few heads on special teams.
Projected Roster Spot: S4 of 4

Well that's my take guys. Let me know what you think!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:20 PM   #63
Mike47
n00b

These 20 players would count $16,350,000 against the cap. A bit more than what I wanted to spend, but Flozell and Amani definetly contributed to the inflation.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:27 PM   #64
SaintAnselm
n00b

I think you did a fine job, I can accept 16 mil of the cap being taken up especially because we can always release Flozell. Taking Toomer is alright with me. Getting a starter out of the draft is a big plus.
SaintAnselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:35 PM   #65
Tasan
College Starter

Thats not a bad cast of characters there. I have no problems with them. I think I'm getting a little different view of the players though, must be associated with our other problem.

And for the 3-4, we can go ahead and start with it this year I guess. I'll need 4-5 DEs, 3 DTs, and 8 OLB/ILBs. CBs and Ss as we can fit them.

Anyway, I think we can just go ahead and run this draft with these players listed here, anyone concur?
Old 02-13-2003, 10:37 PM   #66
Tasan
College Starter

The 16.3 mil figure is about 23% of our total cap. The players total to about 38% of our roster, so we are doing good with that figure.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:01 PM   #67
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Do we not sign Unrestricted free agents first?

Do we not sign UFRA"s before the draft?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:15 PM   #68
Mike47
n00b

Yeah, Straight8, that should be the next thing to do. Well, aside from setting ticket prices etc. I'll post the new file shortly. Hopefully it will work.

BTW, here is a quick run down of how I will distribute roster space (off the top of my head).

3 QBs
3 HBs
2 FBs
3 TEs
6 WRs
2 Cs
4 Gs
4 Ts
K
P
4 DEs
3 DTs
4 OLBs
4 ILBs
5 CBs
4 S
Old 02-13-2003, 11:42 PM   #69
Mike47
n00b

The new file is up. Get it here.

Quick FYI, the latest file will always be at the very beginning of this thread as well. Where the positions are posted.

Last edited by Mike47 : 02-13-2003 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:51 PM   #70
Tasan
College Starter

Alright folks, here we are after the Expansion draft.

Code:
Front Office Football: The Fourth Edition Houston Texans Roster, Standard View Player # Pos HT WT Exp Birthdate College Johnson, Bryan 33 FB 6-1 234 2 01/18/1978 Boise State Prince, Ryan 87 TE 6-4 254 2 05/16/1978 Weber State Heffner-Liddiard, Brody 88 TE 6-4 234 3 06/12/1977 Colorado Byrd, Isaac 81 SE 6-1 188 6 11/16/1974 Kansas Streets, Tai 85 SE 6-2 206 3 04/20/1977 Michigan Gilmore, Bryan 86 SE 5-11 196 2 09/21/1978 Midwestern State Toomer, Amani 89 SE 6-3 202 7 09/08/1974 Michigan Adams, Flozell 66 LT 6-7 335 5 05/18/1975 Michigan State Tuten, Melvin 72 LT 6-7 320 6 11/11/1971 Syracuse Diaz-Infante, David 50 C 6-3 295 7 03/31/1964 San Jose State Paxton, Lonie 57 C 6-2 260 3 03/13/1978 Cal. - Sacramento Larsen, Leif 71 LDT 6-4 295 3 04/03/1975 Texas - El Paso Tafoya, Joe 98 RDE 6-3 270 2 09/06/1978 Arizona Davis, Don 54 SLB 6-1 234 7 12/17/1972 Kansas Hendricks, Tommy 52 MLB 6-1 223 3 10/23/1978 Michigan Jones, Dhani 58 MLB 6-1 237 2 02/22/1978 Michigan Boyer, Brant 91 WLB 6-1 230 8 06/27/1971 Arizona Lucas, Ken 29 RCB 6-0 203 2 01/23/1979 Mississippi Gibson, David 43 SS 6-1 210 3 11/05/1977 Southern California Carty, Johndale 45 SS 6-0 202 4 08/27/1977 Utah State $$ - player is in starting lineup, ## - player is inactive. Players Under Contract: 20 On Active Roster: 20 Salary Cap: $71,100,000 Cap Room: $54,760,000 Maximum for New Player: $49,240,000 Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $0 Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $0 Cap Room Required Next Year: $9,150,000

Next up is ticket pricing, then Free Agency. Before you go running off looking at the upcoming FA market, bear in mind it might change. When you hit the Continue to FA button, it can randomize a bit, and since that hasn't been done yet to the main files, some guys might not make it to FA for whatever reasons. Just a heads up, you can prolly look now and get a real good feel for them at least.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:53 PM   #71
Tasan
College Starter

And here's what our scout things of this rag tag bunch:

Code:
Front Office Football: The Fourth Edition Houston Texans Roster, Scout Overview Player # Pos Exp Current Estimate Future Estimate Cntrct Johnson, Bryan 33 FB 2 21 29 2 yrs. Heffner-Liddiard, Brody 88 TE 3 22 37 2 yrs. Prince, Ryan 87 TE 2 14 25 1 yr. Byrd, Isaac 81 SE 6 23 23 2 yrs. Gilmore, Bryan 86 SE 2 16 20 1 yr. Streets, Tai 85 SE 3 23 27 4 yrs. Toomer, Amani 89 SE 7 41 41 2 yrs. Adams, Flozell 66 LT 5 33 33 1 yr. Tuten, Melvin 72 LT 6 9 14 2 yrs. Diaz-Infante, David 50 C 7 19 26 1 yr. Paxton, Lonie 57 C 3 6 15 1 yr. Larsen, Leif 71 LDT 3 9 16 1 yr. Tafoya, Joe 98 RDE 2 9 16 2 yrs. Davis, Don 54 SLB 7 20 22 1 yr. Hendricks, Tommy 52 MLB 3 16 23 2 yrs. Jones, Dhani 58 MLB 2 15 28 2 yrs. Boyer, Brant 91 WLB 8 21 23 2 yrs. Lucas, Ken 29 RCB 2 12 20 3 yrs. Carty, Johndale 45 SS 4 17 25 1 yr. Gibson, David 43 SS 3 15 26 2 yrs. $$ - player is in starting lineup, ## - player is inactive. Players Under Contract: 20 On Active Roster: 20 Salary Cap: $71,100,000 Cap Room: $54,760,000 Maximum for New Player: $49,240,000 Cap Room Lost (to old contracts): $0 Cap Room Lost Next Year (to old contracts): $0 Cap Room Required Next Year: $9,150,000
Old 02-13-2003, 11:57 PM   #72
Tasan
College Starter

My initial thoughts.....Whats up with the state of Michigan???
Old 02-14-2003, 12:33 AM   #73
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Dom Capers and Chuck Casserly had much more too choose from!

Boy compared to the NFL Texans we got crumbs indeed. The only silver lining is wwe won't have to go throuugh restrucuring Boselli's contract like Houston did.

We probably will weed out some of these guys during the next 20 week process. There are a lot of good 1st year free agents with way more potential who can fill roster poositions 4-6 at lower cost with more upside.

There are also a lot of excellent high value vets waiting to be signed.
Lets get at it.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:22 AM   #74
Mike47
n00b

How strange, I have Toomer as a 44/44 instead of a 41/41 like you have posted. What about the rest of you? What is our scouts name on your game? Mine is Will Stratico. They should match, but who knows. Should this be happening?
Old 02-14-2003, 01:33 AM   #75
Mike47
n00b

Let's get these ticket prices out of the way. What approach are we thinking?
Old 02-14-2003, 01:42 AM   #76
Mike47
n00b

Bad bad bad news guys. For whatever reason, when I reinstalled the game before we started this I apparently did not install the patch correctly. I didn't notice the problem until I looked at the free agents. There are a ton of 1st year free agents with great potential.

This probably explains why I was getting a different read than the rest of you (Toomer etc).

We're going to have to restart. Good news is, nothing will really change for you. The bad news is I will have to reselect our 20 players from the expansion draft.

I'll repost everything sometime tomorrow. I'm sorry guys! Don't let it get you down, we're just set back one day. No big whoop. Although, with it being V-Day I'm not sure how much I'll actually get accomplished tomorrow (gotta work my REAL job too).

Stay tuned.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:48 AM   #77
Mike47
n00b

Flase alarm. The patch fixed all of the problems. I'm going to re-upload the files just in case something changed etc etc so that we're all on the same page. Sorry, it's late I'm losing my mind.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:57 AM   #78
Tasan
College Starter

glad to see we have it all cleared up now. My thoughts on ticket prices are that we should be competitive with our in-state rivals the Cowboys, and possibly with New Orleans.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:01 AM   #79
Swaggs
Coordinator

What are our goals in FA? Best available players? Build up the lines? Skill players?

I might suggest we find a good punter and a good kicker and go after them early.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:28 AM   #80
Neel
n00b

In FA I think we should never overspend and strap our future goals, but look hard at OL and a good pass rusher, look hard at getting at least 1 good cover cornerback, and hopefully a service QB to help support our development of a franchise rookie QB.
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:29 AM   #81
Neel
n00b

And yes...a good Kicker is a must. We will rely on him to keep us alive in the early going.

Mike, let me know if you need someone to take on QB coach...I can do the QB's and RB's if needed.

Last edited by Neel : 02-14-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #82
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Free Agents to look at:

A closer look at the FA market shows a good crop of guys.
Some Criteria I had in mind were:
Try to only sign players with 9 yrs or less experience. Preferably 6 0r less.
Try to find high value players with salaries to 2.3 million.
So here are a few players to take a close at.

Christian Fauria TE
Stalin Colinet DE
Eric Brown SS
Duane Starks CB
Jeff Smith C
Jamie Duncan MLB
Kevin Long C
Donnell Bennett FB
Matt Turk P

Rookies
These guys are very big potential, and cheap 260K. With a 20k bonus they will sign for two years.

I think a lot of these rookies are better than w hat we got in the expansion draft

Search future Potential exp 0-1 Salary under 460K

you can sign all ten below for a total oulay of 2.8 Mill only 200K will count against the Cap. Good roster fillers to take to camp.
Some of these gusys will bust some will be back ups. In a couple of years 1-2 may start.

Darnell Fortenberry RB This guys rated ahead Jamal Anderson-7th overall in RB's

Darryl Allen T
Robert Benson T
Patrick Vickers G
Turner Lewis DT
Eugene Perez Fl
Chad fenderson CB
Bobbi Wallen DE
KC Franks LT
Earl roberts LG

These guys will provide depth and allow us tosign other starters at higher prices. i think many of these rookies are better than players on the roster now.

Last edited by strait8 : 02-14-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:09 PM   #83
Tasan
College Starter

I've got to lobby for 2 FAs, SS Tony Parrish and FS Eric Brown. These guys could be the glue that holds our defense together this year. I would really like to have one/both of them if possible. They both come up within the search criteria above.

Last edited by Tasan : 02-14-2003 at 11:10 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:48 PM   #84
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'd like to be Qb Coach if possible.. if not just slot me in as a Wr coach
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:43 AM   #85
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Parrish and Brown-Yes

Definitely sign those two. They are Ball Hawks and run stoppers.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:01 AM   #86
Mike47
n00b

I'll take a look at some things tomorrow. It's 5am. Im going to bed.

Ragone, you can be QB coach.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:24 AM   #87
Mike47
n00b

Ok guys, I am setting our ticket prices, based on our rival Cowboys and the Lions (identical fan support/new stadium). I'd rather have the place fill up with lower ticket prices than to be like 80-90% with higher ticket prices. So here they are:

Upper Deck: $20
End Zone: $25
Mezzaine: $35
Sidelines: $50
Club Seats: $150
Luxury Boxes: $75,000

I'm going to advance to the free agency period...well, unless we want to tag one of our highly talented roster players.

Let me know what you guys think, I'll post the file in a few minutes.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:31 AM   #88
Mike47
n00b

While this is uploading:

I'm looking at the draft class and finding it pretty obvious as to who our selection should be. We have the #1 pick. We're going to be dropping some major cash on whomever we pick so I'd hate for us to give this kind of a contract to like a C, or a S or something. I think QB David Carr is the obvious choice for us here. Get him in the system early, maybe let him sit out year #1 etc. but I think he may be the only player/position worth taking and shelling out that kind of a contract to.

It's either that or trade down in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:40 AM   #89
Mike47
n00b

The file's up. Take a look, I should be on a bit more this afternoon and then not again until tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:15 AM   #90
dread
n00b

I guess I could be the NFC scout as well as helping with the amateur scouting if still needed
Old 02-16-2003, 02:57 PM   #91
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Carr vs. Bledsoe and Possibly Trade down

Food for thought. Can we sign Bledsoe and trade down from the No.1 to say 3-5 and pick up an extra #1 0r #2 and #3.

What are your thoughts.

We need help in a lot of places.

Last edited by strait8 : 02-16-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:40 PM   #92
Tasan
College Starter

thats an interesting thought, although I really don't know if there are too many great players in this draft, you know ones that you would want with the 3-5 picks.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:32 PM   #93
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

To Clarify My thought

I am not sure you understand what I mean. Trading with Detroit San Diego or Buffalo would give us one these ball players.

Joey Harrington
Julius Peppers
Marc Columbo
Jeremy Shockey
Rohan Davey
Lukey staley
Albert Haynsworth

It would give us two first rounders next year Or a 2nd and 3rd this year. or possibly more.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:41 PM   #94
Tasan
College Starter

No, I'm just not sure if those guys warrent a #3, 4 or 5 pick in the first round. I don't like the top end talent in this draft. But, I guess I should leave that to the scouts. No hard feelings or anything, just the way I see it.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:51 PM   #95
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

There is lots fo Talent

There is lots of talent, but looking up the cost on Bledsoe makes me believe he would not sign under 50/Mil/5yrs. Thats just way to much for him.

It was a thought.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:55 PM   #96
Mike47
n00b

Yeah, I have no interest in signing Bledsoe. He is a great player, but by the time our team is ready to compete he'll be in the twilight of his career. He wants way too much money. Especially since we'll be running the ball so much.

I have no problems with trading down. Hell, we could probably trade down and still land a QB. I was just saying that if we did pick #1 it would be, with the talent available, David Carr.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:02 PM   #97
Mike47
n00b

Dread, I added you to the team.

Ok, I'm starting to breakdown FA. I guess we'll just start brainstorming in order.

Quarterback:

Ok, we have a number of options here:

1. Don't bother signing a UFA QB. We could draft a rookie and throw him to the wolves (Couch/Manning etc)

2. We could sign an UFA as our starter etc.

3. We could sign an UFA and draft a rookie.
     a) The rookie could start, meaning we'd sign a dependable backup.
     b) The vet would start, letting the rookie learn the system etc.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'm sure we'll be plucking a QB out of the draft somewhere, I'm just not sure how high he will be on our priority list.

Let's get some QB brainstorming going!
Old 02-16-2003, 10:10 PM   #98
Mike47
n00b

I think we should sign one of these two QBs:

1. Byron Newman
2. Bubba Manning

With one of these guys we may have our QB of the future without having to spend a draft pick.
PROJECTED ROSTER SPOT: QB2 of 3

I also think we should sign one of these QBs:

1. Charlie Batch
2. Rob Johnson
3. Gus Frerotte
PROJECTED ROSTER SPOT: QB1 of 3

Whomever we decide on, would make a servicable starting QB at a very moderate price. Once our "franchise guy" is ready this UFA would still be a valuable commodity to the team and still be at an affordable price.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:47 PM   #99
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

My thoughts on throwing a rookie in the fire

I have found in my own FOF careers it is netter to start a maxed out rookie than leave him on the bench. They develop much quicker and the their potential expands rather than shrinks.

If we like D. Carr which we do then play him right away. One of my rookie QB's Cedric cullen went into the 70"s in his second year and maxed out at 98 in year 4. If he is going to hand the ball off anyway, he might as well be in the game.

I would not sign a mediocre QB to play in front of Carr that will only impede his development. Sign them to come in when he is having a tough game or to start when Carr is injured,

For 3rd string we should sign both Bubba and Byron and keep the best one after training camp. They are cheap and can be signed for 2 yrs with a 20K bonus.

Last edited by strait8 : 02-16-2003 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:01 PM   #100
Mike47
n00b

So, we shouldn't even think of starting either Manning or Newman? If that's the case then I think we are left with no other choice but to draft a QB in the first round. Bledsoe costs too much and Chandler is old and also has a hefty price tag. I guess we are left with signing one of the three backups and drafting Carr/Harrington? And of course signing Newman and Manning and letting them battle the 3rd spot out in camp.