Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #51
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Mogilny had (or has) a huge contract. Some guys just aren't "C" material.
Patrik Elias is "C" material, though. I didn't mean to suggest that the huge contract is all the evidence of that. It's just that the Devils put themselves over the salary cap to get him signed to a 7-year contract because they know they need him. Heck, the second half of last season proves how much they need him. Of all the Devils who don't wear goalie gear, Patrik Elias is the franchise now. He deserves to be a captain as much as Niedermayer did, and Niedermayer wore the "C" when Stevens was out injured a couple of years ago.

If the Devils ever get around to naming another captain, I could accept it going to Madden or Gionta or even Rafalski, but Elias is the one who should have it, in my opinion. I just don't understand why it hasn't happened yet.

Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #52
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I think Madden would be the obvious choice, but I don't know enough about them. I just haven't heard alot about Elias being a leader.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #53
bbor
Pro Starter

Mickey mouse should be NJ's captain

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #54
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Mickey mouse should be NJ's captain

shut it, Wayne
Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #55
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just because Elias is a great player doesn't mean he should be a captain. No one ever 'deserves' to be captain based on their play either. And regardless of what a player might appear to be like, in terms of personality, via the media, the only ones who know if he is 'captain material' are the coaches and players.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Lets...Go...Blues!!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #57
caspanky
Mascot

Blues scored quick, but less then 2 minutes later, the Sharks tie it right back up!!! Great tip in!
caspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #58
caspanky
Mascot

K, so 3 goals in just under 4 minutes, this could be high scoring game.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #59
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

We won a blowout in the regular season! We'll be Stanley Cup champions for sure! Running up the score when the opponent is having a bad night is the sign of a true champion!

(Sorry, just wanted to see what it was like to think like a Sens fan.)

Good game tonight. Let's hope they don't give it right back against the Habs on Saturday.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #60
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspanky View Post
K, so 3 goals in just under 4 minutes, this could be high scoring game.

No penalties yet either? Wow.. interesting.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #61
caspanky
Mascot

1st Penalty, Hooking 8:37 in. Sharks on the power play!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #62
caspanky
Mascot

K, no goal on the power play, but that was some of the best puck movement I've seen from the sharks ever on a power play. some great quality scoring chances, just need to finish it off.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #63
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I think this will be the season that Maple Leafs finally snaps and goes on a killing spree.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #64
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
I think this will be the season that Maple Leafs finally snaps and goes on a killing spree.
That's just ridiculous. What do you think I do, just sneak around engaging in random acts of violence?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 10-05-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #65
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post

Too late?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #66
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
That's just ridiculous. What do you think I do, just sneak around engaging in random acts of violence?

That was hardly random. Kerry has a picture of you along with a letter that says "if anything happens to him, this picture is of the guy that probably did it."

but then, so do I.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #67
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

You are my hero
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #68
caspanky
Mascot

"I fell. I broke my toe in three spots but the TV survived."

Well, at least he saved the TV.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #69
caspanky
Mascot

As much as I would have liked to have seen them overturn that goal, I agree with the call. Nice deflection. Tied up 3-3.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #70
caspanky
Mascot

Woohoo!! Sharks Win!! 5-4 in OT

Couple thoughts about the game:

-I hope that the ref that took the puck to the face is alright.
-As exciting as that game was, i really don't wanna see 81 more games like that for the Sharks. Games like this make you really appreaciate those "boring" 2-0 games.
-3 hours for a hockey game? Interesting night, lots of delays. Ref injury, broken boards, couple replays.
-I need to find some money to get to a couple games this season.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #71
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

At their current pace, Sid Crosby, Michel Oullet and Jarkko Ruutu will all score 82 goals, tally 82 assists, for a total of 164 points. That is PROBABLY good enough for a 3-way tie for the Art Ross. I don't believe Petr Sykora and Steve Reinprecht can keep up their pace.

And MA Fleury will be 82-0, with an 0.00 GAA and 82 shutouts.

I love making predictions based on first games!

On a slightly more serious note...as the Pens were trying to preserve the shutout, with about 40 seconds to go, who should Michel Therrien put out at center? Jordan Staal! That speaks volumes about an 18 year old.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 10-06-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #72
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Just because Elias is a great player doesn't mean he should be a captain. No one ever 'deserves' to be captain based on their play either. And regardless of what a player might appear to be like, in terms of personality, via the media, the only ones who know if he is 'captain material' are the coaches and players.
Obviously, I can only give my opinion based on what I do know. I'm not in the dressing room, and I've never met any of the players, so I don't know. My point about Elias is that he seems to be captain material, and the Devils must think so, too, as they just named him the captain last night.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #73
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

-As exciting as that game was, i really don't wanna see 81 more games like that for the Sharks. Games like this make you really appreaciate those "boring" 2-0 games.
-3 hours for a hockey game? Interesting night, lots of delays. Ref injury, broken boards, couple replays.

Gorges is brutal. Either Davison or Murray needs to take his spot because a bunch of St. Louis' actual scoring chances came from simply muscling him off the puck and going to the net. He needs to add about 15 pounds of muscle to be effective at all.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, in Atlanta, the new Thrashers reminded me a lot of the old Thrashers.

Led Tampa 2-0 after the 1st period, then managed only 2 SOG in the next 35 minutes, blowing the lead & eventually losing the SO.

Meanwhile, this quote from newcomer Steve Rucchin looks like something from recycled from many nights last season
"You get out of it pretty much what you put into it. It wasn't a very good 5-on-5 effort from our part. Maybe there was a lack of composure. We never had the puck to do anything. We chased all night and played a little sloppy."

Sigh. Don Waddell, your time is almost up.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #75
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Obviously, I can only give my opinion based on what I do know. I'm not in the dressing room, and I've never met any of the players, so I don't know. My point about Elias is that he seems to be captain material, and the Devils must think so, too, as they just named him the captain last night.

Congrats!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I fell asleep, but I'll take the point.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #77
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm just pointing out that it doesn't make sense for people to say things like "so and so deserves to be captain". I'm all for arm-chair quarterbacking most things about pro sports, but it just doesn't fit when it comes to something like team captain.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #78
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that it doesn't make sense for people to say things like "so and so deserves to be captain". I'm all for arm-chair quarterbacking most things about pro sports, but it just doesn't fit when it comes to something like team captain.
OK, then.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #79
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Except in this case, it appears he was pretty much on the mark. So i'll listen to armchair pumpy from now on.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #80
caspanky
Mascot

Quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2615680

Some good news there. Sounds like the ref's okay, nothing serious. Gonna get a week off from work, but sounds like he'll be alright.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #81
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

speaking of, Mick McGeough, he actually looks even more ridiculous with a real helmet on his helmet-head
Old 10-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #82
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

After 1 game, the Blackhawks lead the Central and are in a playoff spot and tied for tops in the league in scoring

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:09 AM   #83
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
speaking of, Mick McGeough, he actually looks even more ridiculous with a real helmet on his helmet-head

He had a helmet head? Are you thinking of Kerry Fraser?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #84
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
He had a helmet head? Are you thinking of Kerry Fraser?

nah. Fraser was king, but McGeough had a pretty good funky coiff going on as well
Old 10-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #85
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The Devils absolutely destroyed the Candy Canes on Friday night. It's a great start to the season, and the new captain scored a goal. Brodeur was especially sharp late in the second period when the Canes were trying to get back into the game. Zach Parise is also looking strong, and I'm expecting a big season out of him. I hope he doesn't disappoint me!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #86
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
After 1 game, the Blackhawks lead the Central and are in a playoff spot and tied for tops in the league in scoring

SI
See told u.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #87
Logan
Head Coach

Rangers have now scored in the first minute of both games this season. Nylander puts one on the board.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #88
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
The Devils absolutely destroyed the Candy Canes on Friday night. It's a great start to the season, and the new captain scored a goal. Brodeur was especially sharp late in the second period when the Canes were trying to get back into the game. Zach Parise is also looking strong, and I'm expecting a big season out of him. I hope he doesn't disappoint me!

Devils left a lot of pucks sitting around in the slot tonight.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #89
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Devils left a lot of pucks sitting around in the slot tonight.
Very true. A lot of things went wrong for the Devils in Dallas last night. Having to play in Raleigh one night and Dallas the next may be a little taxing, but there's no excuse for not playing good defense. The Devils were moving in the wrong direction all night, and I guess it's good for them to get this out of their system now and regroup before Thursday's game with Toronto.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #90
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Very true. A lot of things went wrong for the Devils in Dallas last night. Having to play in Raleigh one night and Dallas the next may be a little taxing, but there's no excuse for not playing good defense. The Devils were moving in the wrong direction all night, and I guess it's good for them to get this out of their system now and regroup before Thursday's game with Toronto.

I thought they played well, overall, but was surpsied by the defensive lapses and lack of a sustained rush off of turnovers. Brodeur made some huge saves, though. He's friggin' amazing...still.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:17 AM   #91
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens are brought back to earth Saturday night vs. DET.

They only put up 13 shots against the Wings...it was a whole different game, as opposed to Philly, since the Wings actually had D that could skate!

Still, compared to seasons past, when the Pens would have lost that game 8-0, this is an upgrade. They were in this game until the final 2 minutes or so.

Is this what they call a moral victory?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #92
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Pens are brought back to earth Saturday night vs. DET.

They only put up 13 shots against the Wings...it was a whole different game, as opposed to Philly, since the Wings actually had D that could skate!

Still, compared to seasons past, when the Pens would have lost that game 8-0, this is an upgrade. They were in this game until the final 2 minutes or so.

Is this what they call a moral victory?

It was a solid defensive effort by the Wings on Saturday. They looked very organized in their own end and backchecked well.

Hrmmm... A good defensive effort and Lilja was a healthy scratch... Coencidence? Oh, I think not.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #93
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Is it me, or are they calling TONS and TONS of penalties this year. I've only watched two games, but it's to the point where it makes me want to turn the channel.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #94
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Is it me, or are they calling TONS and TONS of penalties this year. I've only watched two games, but it's to the point where it makes me want to turn the channel.

Same as last October.

Last year was players adjusting to the new rules--or, really, the old rules finally being called.

This year, I guess it is the players testing the officials to see if they'll call the new rules, er...old rules applied in the new method...the same way they did last year.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #95
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Edmonton looked pretty good against Calgary in the home and home. All the doomsayers predicting them for 12th in the West (Hello Hockey News) are going to be eating crow.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #96
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Edmonton looked pretty good against Calgary in the home and home. All the doomsayers predicting them for 12th in the West (Hello Hockey News) are going to be eating crow.

I went to Calgary's home opener. Edmonton has among the deepest corps of skilled forwards in the league and their "no name" defence seem to be able to do the job. Smid impressed me in terms of his composure for a 20 year old. I still don't particularly like Bergeron except on the offensive side of things. Smith and Staios can play on any team. There's no doubt in my mind that Edmonton makes the playoffs.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #97
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think Edmonton wins the NW. It's going to be a dogfight, though - there's potential to be 4 really good teams (plus Vancouver) out there.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #98
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The penalties seem down compared to this point last year. I don't see it affecting the enjoyment of the game for me. I blame the players for the penalties most of the time. I only blame the officials when the calls aren't consistent.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 PM   #99
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Hurricanes C Kevyn Adams suffered a cut over his left eye in a fight with teammate Bret Hedican midway through an hour-long skating session as the tension of a winless season overflowed on the RecZone ice. - Raleigh News Observer

sweet
Old 10-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Hurricanes C Kevyn Adams suffered a cut over his left eye in a fight with teammate Bret Hedican midway through an hour-long skating session as the tension of a winless season overflowed on the RecZone ice. - Raleigh News Observer

sweet

Way to kick some ass, Mr. Yamaguchi!

Wow. They've only lost, what, two games? And they are already resulting to fistacuffs?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote