Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #51
Bee
Pro Starter

In 1986, I once answered my dorm phone with broken English and invited the girl at the other end over to wrestle. I think I'll sue Cohen too.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:09 AM   #52
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I was mildly disappointed. Yes, it is still very funny, and there are a lot of laughs, but the Borat segments were my favorite on the Ali G Show, and I guess I expected a little more from the movie. Probably set my expectations a bit too high. That said, it's still worth seeing and there are some scenes that are unforgettable.

Ditto. I consider myself a huge Borat fan, and I'm curious as to how this has gotten such rave reviews. It was definitely funny, but it didn't quite live up to the HBO segments.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #53
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Ditto. I consider myself a huge Borat fan, and I'm curious as to how this has gotten such rave reviews. It was definitely funny, but it didn't quite live up to the HBO segments.

I didn't see any of his normal segments as Borat before. Just the trailer and the movie. Had I seen most of the "type" of stuff he does, I probably wouldn't have found it as funny (looking down on women, the Jew thing, etc.).
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #54
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Funniest movie I've seen in a long long time. Laugh out loud hysterical.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #55
molson
General Manager

Here's an example of what I was taking about earlier in the thread. Who knows what story is true, but if a couple of drunk frat boys were really told that the movie was going to be shown only outside the United States, they play along with the gimmick, and then become recognizable on the street as racists, then I can see why they're pissed off:

hxxp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_en_mo/film_borat_lawsuit

SANTA MONICA, Calif. - Two fraternity boys want to make lawsuit against "Borat" over their drunken appearance in the hit movie.
ADVERTISEMENT

The legal action filed Thursday on their behalf claims they were duped into appearing in the spoof documentary "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," in which they made racist and sexist comments on camera.

The young men "engaged in behavior that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.

"Borat" follows the adventures of comedian
Sacha Baron Cohen's Kazakh journalist character in a blend of fiction and improvised comic encounters as he travels across the United States and mocks Americans.

The plaintiffs were not named in the lawsuit "to protect themselves from any additional and unnecessary embarrassment." They were identified in the movie as fraternity members from a South Carolina university, and appeared drunk as they made insulting comments about women and minorities to Cohen's character.

The lawsuit claims that in October 2005, a production crew took the students to a bar to drink and "loosen up" before participating in what they were told would be a documentary to be shown outside of the United States.

"They were induced to agree to participate and were told the name of the fraternity and the name of their school wouldn't be used," said the plaintiffs' attorney, Olivier Taillieu. "They were put into an RV and were made to believe they were picking up Borat the hitchhiker."

After a bout of heavy drinking, the plaintiffs signed a release form they were told "had something to do with reliability issues with being in the RV," Taillieu said.

The film "made plaintiffs the object of ridicule, humiliation, mental anguish and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community," the lawsuit said.

It names 20th Century Fox, a unit of News Corp., and three production companies as defendants.

Studio spokesman Gregg Brilliant said the lawsuit "has no merit."

The plaintiffs were seeking an injunction to stop the studio from displaying their image and likeness, along with unspecified monetary damages.

"Borat" debuted as the top movie last weekend with $26.5 million.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #56
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

I seriously doubt that the producers would have them sign their waivers while they were drunk, and don't for a second believe that they took them out to a bar to "loosen them up" and then had them sign the waivers.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #57
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Ditto. I consider myself a huge Borat fan, and I'm curious as to how this has gotten such rave reviews.

My educated guess is that all the very best reviews are coming from those who are totally unfamiliar with the Borat character.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #58
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Haven't seen it yet, but figured you guys may want to see this.

What's real in "Borat"?
Everything you wanted to know about the Kazakh road trip -- what was staged, who was an actor, and who was just hapless comedy roadkill.

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/200...rat/print.html
(You may need to view an ad to access the article.)
Old 11-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #59
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

I enjoyed Borat the first time I saw him, as twins played by Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd on SNL. They should be the ones suing for copyright infringement.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #60
Galaxy
Coordinator

Is Borat a product of a British comedy show (along the lines of a SNL/MAD TV)?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:55 PM   #61
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels View Post
I enjoyed Borat the first time I saw him, as twins played by Steve Martin and Dan Akroyd on SNL. They should be the ones suing for copyright infringement.

Is there anything you aren't wrong about? Politics, Maximum Football, and now Borat. You sir are on a roll.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #62
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Is Borat a product of a British comedy show (along the lines of a SNL/MAD TV)?

Kind of. He was one of the characters on the Ali G show (which is shown here on HBO as well.) Same guy plays all the characters.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #63
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Is there anything you aren't wrong about? Politics, Maximum Football, and now Borat. You sir are on a roll.

Sarcasm, Borat reminds me of the two 'wild and crazy' Eastern European guys Martin and Ackroyd played. But keep your head where its at JG, saves money on buying hats for ya.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #64
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Sarcasm, Borat reminds me of the two 'wild and crazy' Eastern European guys Martin and Ackroyd played. But keep your head where its at JG, saves money on buying hats for ya.

I agree. One of the most unfunny things I've seen in awhile.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #65
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You really think Borat is anything like the characters on SNL other than maybe the accent? Wow, you have no perception of comedy at all do you?

Ooooops. Apparently sarcasm but it wasn't very obvious.

Last edited by Oilers9911 : 11-10-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #66
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
I agree. One of the most unfunny things I've seen in awhile.

No being a smartass, but what DO you find funny?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #67
WVUFAN
College Starter

The last movie I found funny was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #68
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
You really think Borat is anything like the characters on SNL other than maybe the accent? Wow, you have no perception of comedy at all do you?

Ooooops. Apparently sarcasm but it wasn't very obvious.

The SNL guys from Checkoslovakia (sp?) came to NY to 'find chicks and party." They were very 'backwards' hence the comedy. Borat comes to America to 'find chicks and party.' He is very 'backwards.' Both have accents. The SNL guys were in 5 minute sketches. Borat is a 2 hr movie. Borat also has pretentions of representing his country as some kind of 'official'.

Your right, there are some differences (but length of the feature is the biggest one.) And Borat gets put in some real situations. With and accent.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #69
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I never liked Eddie Murphy because he looked so much like Flip Wilson.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just saw it this afternoon. I DIED laughing. My Lord, that was the funniest thing I've seen in many years. The "Running of the Jew" was absolutely brilliant, as was the naked wrestling. Though those poor people at the upper class dinner party (though hilarious stuff).
Old 11-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #71
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Borat comes to America to 'find chicks and party.' He is very 'backwards.'

Did I miss this when I watched? I thought he was there to find out about the United States? Only after he saw Baywatch did he have another purpose. And I wouldn't summarize it by saying "finding chicks and partying." More like "finding a chick."
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #72
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, he was supposed to do a documentary about the US for Kazakstan. As the title says, it was for the benefit of Kazakstan.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #73
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It's amazing how well BW knows these movies without seeing them. He also said that the only reason 'Brokeback Mountain' was made was to advance the homosexual agenda. He didn't see that one either.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #74
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It's amazing how well BW knows these movies without seeing them. He also said that the only reason 'Brokeback Mountain' was made was to advance the homosexual agenda. He didn't see that one either.

Please, these days so much of the movie is shown in the advertising the only parts not shown are the raunch. That's what you get to pay to see.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #75
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Did I miss this when I watched? I thought he was there to find out about the United States? Only after he saw Baywatch did he have another purpose. And I wouldn't summarize it by saying "finding chicks and partying." More like "finding a chick."

You split hairs. To the secular world, 'finding out about the U.S.' comes down to 'finding chicks and partying.' Or 'a chick', singular.

Actually, the closer movie than the SNL guys was the one on last night. The one with Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall. Borat seems to be an offshoot of these.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #76
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sorry, BW. No one that has actually seen the movie has agreed with your mistaken oversimplification. This movie is in no way about Borat simply 'finding chicks and partying'. I could break down step by step why your assumptions are wrong, but it won't serve any purpose.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #77
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sorry, BW. No one that has actually seen the movie has agreed with your mistaken oversimplification. This movie is in no way about Borat simply 'finding chicks and partying'. I could break down step by step why your assumptions are wrong, but it won't serve any purpose.

I'll take your word for it. And if the movie is different than the sum of all the advertising for it I've seen, it would be the first movie in a long time that was.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #78
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I haven't seen one ad for Borat that would imply it is about partying and finding chicks.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #79
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Bubba, let me guess...you also seek to ban books from your local library that you haven't read.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 11-12-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #80
timmynausea
College Starter

I can see why someone would think it is a little bit similar to the wild and crazy guys. An element of the character is rooted in the same place as them (innocent, naive foreigner with bad taste).

That was a pretty one dimensional skit, though, and Borat has a lot more going on. On top of going in a lot of different directions comedically and pushing social boundaries left and right, the fact that Borat is out in real life interacting with people who have no idea he is a comedian playing a character adds multiple layers of irony.

It's sort of like comparing dog food to filet mignon cause they're both meat.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #81
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Bubba, let me guess...you also seek to ban books from your local library that you haven't read.

Ha! Funny you say that, I'm not about banning anything (regulating is a different matter!) News Flash!!!

Taylor, MI...After reading out loud the book Tom Sawyer in a middle school class a minority student became offended at the use of the n-word within the book...hence it was...ready liberals, cause this in on you...banned!!!

Now I don't have a problem with banning a book using the n-word from being read out loud in a classroom setting, especially one in which a black student might be seated. But what I do object to (and laugh at) is the typical liberal stereotype that its the conservatives that ban the books!! WE DON'T, LIBERALS DO!!! Check out the story for yourself...google it.

Oh yeah, I went thru all that cause...I don't know where this Eightball ever gets the idea that I want to ban this movie or anything else in the first place!!?? Where or when did I say that??? Talk about projection.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 11-12-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #82
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Comedy is subjective.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #83
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, is there anybody in this film not named Cohen who isn't pissed off?

I'll skip the cut & paste, in a nutshell the Romanian Gypsy's who played Borat's family/hometown in the opening scenes say they thought it was for a documentary & that they were only paid $3.50 to $5.50 for their parts.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061114/D8LD0N500.html
Old 11-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #84
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Well how bout this guy?

http://entertainment.iafrica.com/news/413967.htm

Edit: Well Okay, while not in the movie, I probably would've had the same reaction.

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 11-14-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #85
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Well how bout this guy?

http://entertainment.iafrica.com/news/413967.htm

Edit: Well Okay, while not in the movie, I probably would've had the same reaction.

Me too. It's a shocker ... people generally don't like being made fun of.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #86
JMO
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Kind of. He was one of the characters on the Ali G show (which is shown here on HBO as well.) Same guy plays all the characters.

Sacha Baron Cohen was on the 11 o clock show at first as far im aware as Ali G. Ricky Gervais also had a very funny spot on that show.

Ali G and Borat only really work when there are some ppl who dont know its a joke. I found the first ali g interviews on the 11 o clock show hilarious and then less and less so. Im sure the same will happen in America.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:38 AM   #87
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Yeah. The driving instructor, humor coach, and the 'high society' didn't seem to be mad. The humor coach actually liked it.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So, I'm likely the last person to finally watch this movie. The naked fight in the hotel room/ballroom had me laughing out loud. The ride with the fraternity guys was solid as well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote