Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #51
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
While I wish that the game had more elements of a studio management game, I will be happy with just making movies, I think. The game isn't going to be everything I'd hoped for, but it'll be enough to keep me entertained.

As much as I loved Hollywood Mogul 2, I got most of my fun from just making really crappy movies just to see how many people would go see them. I found that I ultimately didn't care very much about how much money I had, nor did I really care about trying to fit my films within my budget. I just liked writing descriptions, hiring actors and crew, and then seeing what happened. If HM3 ever gets done, I'll certainly get it, but I think The Movies is going to give me the same kind of movie-making joy that HM2 did, and I'll get to actually see my movies this time.

I intend to enjoy The Movies for what it is. I'm just glad that I didn't spring for the Premiere Edition because, now that I've read that Gamespy review, I can't see putting out $60 for it.

I think that they realized early in the development that the "making movies" part had more people excited than the "studio simulation" part, and shifted the focus to that.

Sucks for you kcchief, but I still think it will be a game worth trying out.

Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #52
WrongWay
Banned

My greatest fear is that this is nothing more than a "The Sims" expansion pack.

Very pretty, but definately not a simulation.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #53
Icy
Pro Starter

After reading the review i'm not going to buy it by now. I'm more interested on managing the company than on creating virtual movies. I expected an updated HM2, even more deep, not a simple game where the fun is creating movies to watch myself. It could be fun once, but not for a long time. Anyway will wait for your reviews.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #54
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
After reading the review i'm not going to buy it by now. I'm more interested on managing the company than on creating virtual movies. I expected an updated HM2, even more deep, not a simple game where the fun is creating movies to watch myself. It could be fun once, but not for a long time. Anyway will wait for your reviews.

Guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I could care less about the managing portions of the game and just want to make movies...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #55
hukarez
College Starter

I don't mean to get too terribly off topic, but does anyone remember an old school PC game back in the early 90s (?) that was about you being in charge of a Television Network in an attempt to score the highest ratings?

You essentially pitched a show, gave it a title, a genre, and hoped to score high in sweeps month, etc...? There wasn't too much detail in the actors, but you were allowed a small space to type up a synopsis, and were allowed to place it in time slots to compete against 2 other rival network stations and what not.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:19 AM   #56
WrongWay
Banned

Oh god, does that review scare the hell out of me.

Yes, those laugh out loud moments are funny and enjoyable the first couple of times you see them on the screen. But, they become almost mind numbing the 100th time it happens.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #57
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Oh god, does that review scare the hell out of me.

Yes, those laugh out loud moments are funny and enjoyable the first couple of times you see them on the screen. But, they become almost mind numbing the 100th time it happens.

Yeah, I fear that if folks are already tampering their enthusiasm and the game hasn't even come out yet, then this can't bode well. Still even if it is only an online movie maker at heart I look forward to some folks here posting their work.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #58
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
I don't mean to get too terribly off topic, but does anyone remember an old school PC game back in the early 90s (?) that was about you being in charge of a Television Network in an attempt to score the highest ratings?

You essentially pitched a show, gave it a title, a genre, and hoped to score high in sweeps month, etc...? There wasn't too much detail in the actors, but you were allowed a small space to type up a synopsis, and were allowed to place it in time slots to compete against 2 other rival network stations and what not.

Your description sounds a lot like a game called "MAD TV." I believe that was a German game, but I'm not positive. Anyway, maybe you're not thinking of MAD TV, but that's what you reminded me of.

As for The Movies, I watched a couple of the films on the community website, and they were amusing enough, but I don't think I'll even really watch other people's stuff. I'll just keep doing my own movies and see how they turn out.

It's nice to know that I'm not alone on this forum in possibly enjoying this game for what it is. I sometimes like a good business sim, too, but I realize that there are a lot of hardcore sim people here, and I occasionally feel like a dummy for being interested in a game like this. That's certainly not a shot at any of you guys. It's a shot at myself. Still, even if I am a dummy, at least I'm not the only one.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 AM   #59
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Your description sounds a lot like a game called "MAD TV." I believe that was a German game, but I'm not positive. Anyway, maybe you're not thinking of MAD TV, but that's what you reminded me of.
I just looked that particular game up, and that's undoubtedly a lot more flashier than the one I was referring to. That one game that I remember playing was EGA colored graphics (pretty old school). It was simple, though, I thought it always had designs to be something great in this day and age if it were to be revived.

I just really wish I could remember the name of that game -- countless hours of fun for me back in the day. Arg! I'll do some more researching, and see if I can figure out what that game was called..

EDIT:

Aha! Found it! The game was called 'Prime Time'. I got a glimpse of the box on "Home of the Underdogs", and instantly recognize it. I guess not many people found it too interesting, but it kept me entertained back in the day on my old 286. Good thing you mentioned 'MAD TV', as that allowed me to link to 'similar games' under the strategy genre!
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 11-08-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #60
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ahhh, Prime Time. They announced a Commodore 64 version of that game, and I constantly called the place I mail ordered games from about it. I don't think they ever released it for the C64. I wanted that game sooo badly. Oh, well.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #61
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Yeah, I fear that if folks are already tampering their enthusiasm and the game hasn't even come out yet, then this can't bode well. Still even if it is only an online movie maker at heart I look forward to some folks here posting their work.
As has been typical of Lionheart games and Peter Molyneaux, I think the hype has never been good because they games have simply failed to live up to them. Tempering hype for the game is probably a good thing for ultimate consumer satisfaction and long-term success of the product. I know it's a topic we debate here from time to time, but hype is a double-edge sword -- if you match the hype it's great, but if not then you've set yourself up for utter failure.

I have no doubt there are people who will enjoy the game greatly for the movie-making portions of the game -- assuming the final product is less buggy than indicated in the review. But I would think most people here are more hardcore management simmers and really wanted a more sophisticated version of Hollywood Mogul. This really sounds like The Sims Movie Magic Expansion Pack.

The part of the review where the writer was complaining about having to drag his director out of the bar 20 times to finish the movie was funny, but if that is anywhere as close to commonplace in the game as the review suggests, I think it could be trouble.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #62
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Ahhh, Prime Time. They announced a Commodore 64 version of that game, and I constantly called the place I mail ordered games from about it. I don't think they ever released it for the C64. I wanted that game sooo badly. Oh, well.

I think I played it to the point where the 5.25" disk I had the game on simply failed on me. It was a pretty fun game for me, even though I was probably 12 or 13 at the time. You can only have so many variations of 'The A-Team' before ratings started to plummet. I wish they'd do some kind of re-make of that game..

Still, so what's the official head count of folks picking the Movies? I'm still on the fence with this one (there's some PS2 games coming out this month that might cost me in the range of almost $100 if I plan on going "all out")
tweet tweet twitter
Old 11-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #63
Bee
Pro Starter

There was also a TV management game discussed here a couple years ago. Don't remember the name of it though.

As far as this game goes, put me in with those somewhat disappointed by that review. I was looking forward to a management game that allowed me to watch the movies, not a moviemaking game that had some management stuff thrown in as an option.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #64
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I think I played it to the point where the 5.25" disk I had the game on simply failed on me. It was a pretty fun game for me, even though I was probably 12 or 13 at the time. You can only have so many variations of 'The A-Team' before ratings started to plummet. I wish they'd do some kind of re-make of that game..

Still, so what's the official head count of folks picking the Movies? I'm still on the fence with this one (there's some PS2 games coming out this month that might cost me in the range of almost $100 if I plan on going "all out")

Wit Civ 4 being so good, this is a wait and see purchase.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #65
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
There was also a TV management game discussed here a couple years ago. Don't remember the name of it though.

As far as this game goes, put me in with those somewhat disappointed by that review. I was looking forward to a management game that allowed me to watch the movies, not a moviemaking game that had some management stuff thrown in as an option.

just wait for the nudity mod. you'll love the game.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #66
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
just wait for the nudity mod. you'll love the game.

ok, I'll probably still get the game...
Old 11-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #67
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Still, so what's the official head count of folks picking the Movies?

I paid in full last night. I guess I'll be the FOFC guinea pig for this game.

I'll be glad to give my impressions of the game, but what could I possibly tell people that would get them any more or less interested in this game? We now know what it is and what it isn't. If anyone has any specific questions about the game, feel free to ask and I'll make sure to look for the answers as soon as I start playing. Otherwise, I'll let everyone know what I think of the game overall. I haven't followed the hype or the previews or anything else up to this point, so I'll be coming into it with an almost fresh mind. Just remember that when I give impressions.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #68
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I intend to enjoy The Movies for what it is.

So will I, but I'll probably get the Premiere Edition. I've been following the game very closely for awhile, and after seeing the many videos of gameplay, I knew what the game was going to be like before I read that review.

I know Peter Molyneaux's hype has bit him before, but I think in this case it was others hyping this to what it wasn't. At no time did I ever get the impression they were making a movie making business sim. I'm pretty sure Molyneaux even said it was part The Sims kind of early in the developement, so I'm not sure where people got the idea that this was going to be a "sim" and not a "game".

The only thing I haven't really found anything on, and the review doesn't say anything either, is how moddable the game is. But, I guess I'll find out soon enough.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #69
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I know Peter Molyneaux's hype has bit him before, but I think in this case it was others hyping this to what it wasn't. At no time did I ever get the impression they were making a movie making business sim. I'm pretty sure Molyneaux even said it was part The Sims kind of early in the developement, so I'm not sure where people got the idea that this was going to be a "sim" and not a "game".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game's Official Web Site
What is The Movies all about?
The game is beautifully simple to play, yet hugely engrossing and entertaining too. Based on a highly original idea from gaming legend Peter Molyneux OBE, you'll find yourself in charge of running your very own Hollywood movie studio and leading it to greatness. The game plays through from the birth of cinema to the present day and features technological advancements, major historical events, movie-making fads, and a whole lot more…
The elipses are there's not mine -- I didn't truncate the answer. That's what they say about the game. There is nothing in there about making your own Internet movies -- all though they do hopen Peter Molyneuz as a "gaming legend." They don't use the word "simulation," but I infer from this description that you'll be charge of running your very own Hollywood movie studio and leading it to greatness. If people have misinterpreted what the game will be, I don't think it's their fault I think it's the developer for positioning the game as something at first glance it doesn't appear to be.

I'm sure this is exactly what a lot of people would like to see. I'm not saying one way is right and another way is wrong. I'll wait and see, but I think that people who are simulation fans and were looking for the next step in the evolution process of Hollywood Mogul will be disappointed.

Right now, I keep thinking of SimGolf. That was another game from a "gaming legend" that while entertaining in its own right was not what people expected.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #70
hukarez
College Starter

I went ahead to the official website, but can't seem to find any kind of mention of a 'demo' whatsoever... I have an idea of how the game might be, judging from the previous posts and the review, but I'd like to see first hand how it really plays out from my own eyes. Any idea if they plan on releasing a demo down the line?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #71
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
The elipses are there's not mine -- I didn't truncate the answer. That's what they say about the game. There is nothing in there about making your own Internet movies -- all though they do hopen Peter Molyneuz as a "gaming legend." They don't use the word "simulation," but I infer from this description that you'll be charge of running your very own Hollywood movie studio and leading it to greatness. If people have misinterpreted what the game will be, I don't think it's their fault I think it's the developer for positioning the game as something at first glance it doesn't appear to be.

I'm sure this is exactly what a lot of people would like to see. I'm not saying one way is right and another way is wrong. I'll wait and see, but I think that people who are simulation fans and were looking for the next step in the evolution process of Hollywood Mogul will be disappointed.

Right now, I keep thinking of SimGolf. That was another game from a "gaming legend" that while entertaining in its own right was not what people expected.

Guys, read the review again. It IS a simulation, just one that reviewer finds repetitive, with lots of micromanagement required.

I for one swapped this with Civ IV on the buy now/Christmas lists.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #72
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
If people have misinterpreted what the game will be, I don't think it's their fault I think it's the developer for positioning the game as something at first glance it doesn't appear to be.

And what is that, exactly? From that short description, you can't base any kind of thought onto how the game will play. All it says is run a stuido from the beginning of cimema history to present day. It doesn't say anything about how the game will play, what the details of the game are going to be. It doesn't position the game as something it isn't, it hardly positions the game into anything at all.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #73
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Judging from the Lionhead forums (which appear to be full of fanboys), the screenshots in the Gamespy review suggest that the reviewer had way too many actors, so he had to do a ton of micromanagement to keep up with them all. It may also explain why he couldn't get any new talent. He was hoarding most of it! Anyway, I think I'll make some kind of movie with Shorty and SkyDog in it.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #74
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Judging from the Lionhead forums (which appear to be full of fanboys), the screenshots in the Gamespy review suggest that the reviewer had way too many actors, so he had to do a ton of micromanagement to keep up with them all. It may also explain why he couldn't get any new talent. He was hoarding most of it! Anyway, I think I'll make some kind of movie with Shorty and SkyDog in it.

Have it feature SkyDog explaining the birds and the bees to Shorty and Shorty's subsequent first date.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #75
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Have it feature SkyDog explaining the birds and the bees to Shorty and Shorty's subsequent first date.

And who the hell is Shorty going to date? Me?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #76
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Someone has to hire Ant to lay down a soundtrack for you.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #77
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

er, if that is your fancy, sure.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:48 PM   #78
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

ok forget the date. fire up the editor and work in a sock and ants.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #79
MikeVic
Head Coach

I was looking forward to just making a ton of movie shorts, so I'll most likely be getting this game around Christmas.

Anyone know if there is some sort of tutorial mode?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #80
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Anyone know if there is some sort of tutorial mode?

I'll let you know after I get my copy, which'll probably be tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #81
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Few more reviews.

http://gamingtrend.com/Reviews/revie...p?ReviewID=490 90%

http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/article...ew.php?id=9751 9/10

http://www.ic-games.co.uk/index.php?...articleid=3342 92%

The last review mentions a tutorial.

They mention that there is a shortage of new talent showing up, which should be easily fixed with a patch.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #82
Coop
High School JV

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3145563&did=1
Old 11-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #83
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

IGN has its review up, an 8. http://pc.ign.com/articles/665/665338p1.html
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #84
Airhog
Captain Obvious

From what i have read, the game has some problems out of the box management wise. However, it looks like with a few patches, this could be a good game. I just hope the simulation part can be improved on...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #85
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm getting anxious for this game already. My copy is probably waiting for me at GameStop right now. I'll pick it up after work and get going on it tonight. The Shorty/SkyDog birds-and-bees movie will happen! I need to find my microphone or buy a new one, though. I want to record this dialogue myself.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #86
hukarez
College Starter

I actually got a chance to see a commercial for this on Spike TV. Looks pretty good; I'll be eagerly awaiting for your guys' impressions throughout the week!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 11-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #87
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
The Shorty/SkyDog birds-and-bees movie will happen!

I think a nice touch would be using SkyDog's music as background.

Also, you cannot use your voice for Shorty's. You need to put up a flier in your neighborhood - "young girl needed for home movie making"
Old 11-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #88
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
You need to put up a flier in your neighborhood - "young girl needed for home movie making"

Old 11-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #89
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm getting anxious for this game already. My copy is probably waiting for me at GameStop right now. I'll pick it up after work and get going on it tonight. The Shorty/SkyDog birds-and-bees movie will happen! I need to find my microphone or buy a new one, though. I want to record this dialogue myself.

I smell Oscar.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #90
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I smell Oscar.

That's probably just his feet.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #91
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I will be home with my copy of the game within the next 3 hours. I intend to play for at least one hour tonight, probably closer to two. Yay!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #92
sabotai
General Manager

I just got home with the game. Installed fine.

About to eat dinner and will post thoughts later. How much later depends on how good the game is.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #93
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

My buying this game depends on your guys' review. Seems like something I could be interested in.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #94
MikeVic
Head Coach

I trust gamespot's reviews the most, since they seem to have scores closer to what I think of the games. IGN lost all respect from me with a few games getting 9.0 that didn't even come close to deserving the score..

Anyway, 8.2 from gamespot:

hxxp://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/movies/review.html
Old 11-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #95
Izulde
Head Coach

Reading these reviews is making me more and more disinclined to buy this game. Congratulations, Molyneux, you have an overhyped, semi-decent game once again.

Nope, I won't be buying. Bring on HM3.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #96
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I trust gamespot's reviews the most, since they seem to have scores closer to what I think of the games. IGN lost all respect from me with a few games getting 9.0 that didn't even come close to deserving the score..

Anyway, 8.2 from gamespot:

hxxp://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/movies/review.html
Sorry, but your GameSpot failed my Pirates test. 9.2 for Pirates

Pirates was awesome for the first 48 hours I owned it, but after that I quickly realized it was all flash and had Zero replay value. 9.2 my ass!

A great weekend killer at $19, but not $49.

Last edited by WrongWay : 11-09-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #97
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Pirates was awesome for the first 48 hours I owned it, but after that I quickly realized it was all flash and had Zero replay value. 9.2 my ass!

Maybe all review sites suck.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #98
WrongWay
Banned

Sometimes I wonder who is paying to keep those game review Sites open?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #99
sabotai
General Manager

So far I like the game fine. I just started a normal game and what you can do (ie number of sets) is limited. Will probably get far better once I start unlocking things. The management part of the game seems to be half The Sims (taking care of your people) and half Roller Coaster Tycoon (taking care of your studio). I didn't really play The Sims that much, but I loved the RCT games, and it's pretty similar to that.

Haven't really dove into the actual movie making part yet. Just been using standard scripts. I messed with it a bit when I got the custom script upgrade, and there definately seems to be a learning curve there. But I was able to make some changes very easily (due to sliders for actions, lighting, etc.). SO far, so good. Might try and make a short movie on my own in the Sandbox mode to see how that goes in a bit.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #100
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

They write the review after playing it for that long. What would your score have been had you judged it in those 48 hours.