Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #51
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
So Jim makes a new, awesome game and HA gets crabs.

Interesting.

The planets align.

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #52
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
I am NOT concerned about the uneducated consumer. I care about a game like this. I care about getting something cool like this from Jim. I could care less about Jim's business plan, target market, etc.

Uneducated consumer? Well, isn't that where marketing comes into play? Oh yeah, we had that discussion before as well.

Marketing makes people aware of product's existence. Still, there is no way for the consumer to know that a game made by Solecismic is more likely to be a solid product (based on track record). You listed that as the reason why a consumer would buy a higher priced Solecismic product. It's not a valid argument for a new customer.

Cost is a huge factor in any new purchase for a consumer buying from something/someone that has no track record with them.

And then again, bottom line I think Jim would be losing sales. I'm positive that there are more sales of FOFX + TCY then there would be for a combined sim. I think you might end up alienating more consumers with either 1) price 2) features they aren't interested in (pro or college) than you add by putting out what would (apparently) be the first combined game of it's type.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #53
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
You listed that as the reason why a consumer would buy a higher priced Solecismic product. It's not a valid argument for a new customer.

Again, I don't care about new customers. I care about myself. And again, I see your point.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #54
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd buy that for a dollar.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #55
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Again, I don't care about new customers. I care about myself. And again, I see your point.

Sorry, i didn't really get that out of your first response. What I found confusing was your "isn't this what marketing is for?" comment. "No, it isn't" is my response.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #56
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Sorry, i didn't really get that out of your first response. What I found confusing was your "isn't this what marketing is for?" comment. "No, it isn't" is my response.

I don't love you any less.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #57
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't get the business model argument. Right now Jim releases a game roughly every year. If he went to this model it would still be one game a year... no more, no less. You might lose some people who wouldn't want to pay for a "roster update" every year, but you'd also gain some people who would buy every pro game but pass on every college game and vice versa. If anything I think he'd sell more games that way. *shurg*
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #58
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'd hit it
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #59
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
I don't get the business model argument. Right now Jim releases a game roughly every year. If he went to this model it would still be one game a year... no more, no less. You might lose some people who wouldn't want to pay for a "roster update" every year, but you'd also gain some people who would buy every pro game but pass on every college game and vice versa. If anything I think he'd sell more games that way. *shurg*

I agree with Daimyo. If Jim released a new version of each game every year and sold them separately he might be cannibalizing his sales if he combined them. But I'd find it hard to believe he was still selling that many copies of TCY to make a big difference, and the potential increase in sales (from a big release) would make up for any loss in separate FOF/TCY sales I would think.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #60
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I read this entire thread confusing Wallace Stevens and Wallace Shawn.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #61
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

TCY2 - $35
FOF6 - $35

Combo game (using code from both games in one executable) - $60

Since I assume that FOF and TCY do not use the same data formats, I would think that the code to produce such an effort would be tedious, but I dont think marketing or a sales plan would be an issue. IF Jim were to upgrade both games to use compatible data, a link between the two could be a straightforward undertaking...and in that event I don't think it would be much of a stretch to see the games offered separately or in a combo program. But that's a big IF.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #62
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Aw heck, it took me so dang long to write the page is past now.. this was a reply to NoMyths..

Sorry that I don't know who you are. My attention span isn't what it used to be, as the WCW mix up shows.. I used to know a lot of things. Where did it all go?

I think that line should be "let be be the finale of seem" but I can't trust my memory so I'll look it up:
Call the roller of big cigars,
The muscular one, and bid him whip
In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
As they are used to wear, and let the boys
Bring flowers in last month's newspapers.
Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal.
Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
On which she embroidered fantails once
And spread it so as to cover her face.
If her horny feet protrude, they come
To show how cold she is, and dumb.
Let the lamp affix its beam.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.
I wouldn't call that poem one of Stevens' best, but it does get its share of anthologizing. I think he's too petulently reflexive here, and his point too plain. He was always good with the alliteration, but he's self-consciously overdoing it here for effect -- he's making fun of a tendency in Modernism (and all poetry too) to revel in the sounds, to sound "poetic". This is one of his main gigs -- he can make fun of poetry itself and sound great doing it.

Don't miss the irony of the juxtaposition of the line you quote with the next line: "let be be the finale of seem \ The only emporer is the emporer of ice-cream"

In plain langage he is saying, "The rules of poetry are silly. Like an emporer of ice-cream."

He's making pretty much the same point in a poem I like better, "Disillusionment of Ten O'Clock," which comes four places later in Harmonium:
The houses are haunted
By white night-gowns.
None are green,
Or purple with green rings,
Or green with yellow rings,
Or yellow with blue rings.
None of them are strange,
With socks of lace
And beaded ceintures.
People are not going
To dream of baboons and periwinkles.
Only, here and there, an old sailor,
Drunk and asleep in his boots,
Catches Tigers
In red weather.
I think he's saying something about how rules and customs rob us of our creativity and individuality. His opinion here comes in a context -- Ezra Pound and the other High Modernists had created rules for modern poetry (I think it's called "the manifesto" but can't be sure my brain isn't fizzing on that..) The double irony is that Pound wanted to get out from under the rules of the previous generation of poets. But Stevens was very much his own man. He wasn't going to hew to anyone's rules.

That mistake of mine re: the Williams poem is sort of on point. Stevens detested Williams and the others of his ilk -- that is to say he detested their writing, and their assumptions; I don't know that he disliked them personally. He didn't shrink from making it plain, either, and a couple of them took issue with it. One famous exchange between Stevens and Frost went like this:

Stevens: "The trouble with you is that you write about things"
Frost: "The trouble with you is that you write about bric-a-brac!"

Frost believed that a true poem is wedded to the land and the people in a real way. If you read him long you'll see his poems are full of people and places that are at least ostensibly real. You won't see this so much with Stevens. He prefers titles, like "the philosopher," or "ephebe" to names. Where he does have people and places, they are "blued" -- tinged with an unreality, as in "The Idea of Order at Key West," where a ghostly "singer" along a beach is "the single artificer of the world \ In which she sang." Well, there is a reality there, but it is *her* reality -- subjective. And listening, the speaker and "Pale Ramon," at first glance, at least, two people we can suppose to be real, have their own realities colored too. The way our own minds work as "the artificer of the world" in which we live is Stevens' whole gig, in a nutshell. And that's what I was saying when I said what I said. With Stevens, things don't exist without a mind to perceive, and color them.

Here's a good example from section v of Notes Toward a Supreme Fiction: "The lion roars at the enraging desert, \ Reddens the sand with his red-colored noise".

The sand wasn't red, the lion's rage colored it. The reality of that "red sand" isn't being disputed -- it's real to the lion, but the point is being made that *all* perceptions are colored in this way.

I think I'll make myself stop here, only a dozen or so paragraphs too late..

Last edited by Sidhe : 10-04-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #63
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
My thinking as well. If he were releasing a college and pro game every year and we were talking about combining them then what's being said about lost sales would make sense, but that's not the case. I'm guessing a combination game would sell slightly better than either FOF or TCY. He could probably even up the product price a little and increase his yearly profits to offset the additional work. I also agree with HA to a certain point that I don't think Jim is the type to do this. He's happy being a small developer and doesn't often change his approach. (Not saying that's good or bad, just that's the vibe I get from him).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #64
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
TCY2 - $35
FOF6 - $35

Combo game (using code from both games in one executable) - $60

Since I assume that FOF and TCY do not use the same data formats, I would think that the code to produce such an effort would be tedious, but I dont think marketing or a sales plan would be an issue. IF Jim were to upgrade both games to use compatible data, a link between the two could be a straightforward undertaking...and in that event I don't think it would be much of a stretch to see the games offered separately or in a combo program. But that's a big IF.

Part of making it cool, though, would be to have it as one seemless universe. If it just felt like TCY and FOF patched together, then it would lose something, IMO. They would really have to feel like one gaming experience designed from the ground up.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #65
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe
[as above]
I'd disagree that Stevens is only writing about writing. We're on the same page about Stevens' interest in perception and imagination, though.

It's good to know that there are still some folks around here who care about poetry.

Last edited by NoMyths : 10-04-2005 at 01:28 PM.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #66
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
Couldn't you also, not sure how easy it is to actually implement, but not only package them both into one game, but have the ability to Play only the College side (For TCY fans), and Play only Pro side( For FOF fans), and play both. And even if you select play one side, the other continues to run as well but all AI simulations. For instance, if you select, play college only, you can see how players from your school did in the pro's as well, and in only pro, you can get a feel for the upcoming draft classes?

this would work, i would accept that. i would want to be able to switch on and off every season. like i would want the option to take over a college if i selected "pro only", and play that for as many season as i want, once i got bored of it i would still have my continuing pro career. what might be very cool is the ability to get fired in the pro side, and then you head over to a college, build them up (and your reputation along with it) and get hired in the pro game (like Spurrier, Erickson). now that, my friends, i would gladly pay $60+ for.

EDIT: oops, didn't realize this is basically what Bucc had envisioned. someone make this game happen, i want to play it now.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-04-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #67
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
this would work, i would accept that. i would want to be able to switch on and off every season. like i would want the option to take over a college if i selected "pro only", and play that for as many season as i want, once i got bored of it i would still have my continuing pro career. what might be very cool is the ability to get fired in the pro side, and then you head over to a college, build them up (and your reputation along with it) and get hired in the pro game (like Spurrier, Erickson). now that, my friends, i would gladly pay $60+ for.

EDIT: oops, didn't realize this is basically what Bucc had envisioned. someone make this game happen, i want to play it now.

Which brings me back to my earlier post. I was assuming that all things being as they are, how easy would it be to be a GM and switch to an AD (or similar role) for college. The game would have to be changed to concentrate more on the coaching aspects of the game.

Screw it! Jim should concentrate his efforts on a college/pro game based on the ITP model. I'm sure THAT's been discussed as well around here.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #68
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
You're thinking very small here, as is Hell Atlantic. What about the uneducated consumer? A cheaper college game that has prettier graphics (Bowl Bound), or a more expensive college game that also a pro portion you have no interest in?

BTW, I am not trying to knock Bowl Bound. I'm extremely interested in the game personally, and i think it's appearance (from the screen shots i've seen) looks great, and will be more immediately accessible to the average (non-educated) buyer.

since when is someone who's into text sim sports games, and not, say, Madden button mashing, considered "uneducated"? you've cleary misjudged the market here, i think. by and large, i think you'll find the people who are into this genre of games would welcome the huge "universe" you get by combining both games. imagine having one mega MP league, with 30 something pro owners, and however many college coaches. you could make it so that if an owner leave the league, someone from the college ranks would get "promoted". imagine the coach bidding process - bidding on actual fucking human coaches! if you get fired as a coach, imagine having your pro coaching history still intact as you build up a college, make a it powerhouse as you bide your time till you get to go back to the pro league? this is just insane.

i think ultimately, ct, you're the one who's thinking small here. you fail to see two steps down the road, at the possibilities.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #69
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Part of making it cool, though, would be to have it as one seemless universe. If it just felt like TCY and FOF patched together, then it would lose something, IMO. They would really have to feel like one gaming experience designed from the ground up.
Then I tend to agree with Corey...I think that would be too much work to go into something that would command less of a market than having the two games available separately.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM   #70
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
if you get fired as a coach, imagine having your pro coaching history still intact as you build up a college, make a it powerhouse as you bide your time till you get to go back to the pro league?

Pete Caroll?!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:46 PM   #71
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Pete Caroll?!

him too.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #72
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #73
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Seneca Wallace!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #74
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Inconcievable!
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #75
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
since when is someone who's into text sim sports games, and not, say, Madden button mashing, considered "uneducated"? you've cleary misjudged the market here, i think. by and large, i think you'll find the people who are into this genre of games would welcome the huge "universe" you get by combining both games. imagine having one mega MP league, with 30 something pro owners, and however many college coaches. you could make it so that if an owner leave the league, someone from the college ranks would get "promoted". imagine the coach bidding process - bidding on actual fucking human coaches! if you get fired as a coach, imagine having your pro coaching history still intact as you build up a college, make a it powerhouse as you bide your time till you get to go back to the pro league? this is just insane.

i think ultimately, ct, you're the one who's thinking small here. you fail to see two steps down the road, at the possibilities.

I don't need to be convinced about the game. Yes, it could be cool for someone like me. Someone who is very interested in both pro and college football. Personally, I don't think many people are very into both sports. Usually people really like one and kind of dabble in the other, or simply aren't even interested in one of them.

I was responding to a very specific point that Hurst made. Something to the effect that "they would buy FOF/TCY (instead of a rival game) because Jim made it."

Of the people who are into football text-sims, I'm guessing Jim probably has collected money from 90% of them. The obvious market are not "the regulars" (since they're likely already on board) but the casual person who might just now be venturing into text-sims. My very specific point there was that the consumer is "uneducated" because they don't automatically know that Solecismic makes outstanding games. They can listen to the hype from the companies, but without going way out their way to check message boards and the like, they're simply guessing as to which will be the better game.

So let's imagine the college fan who barely cares about pro football. He sees Bowl Bound college football for $35 (I'm guessing at price here), and he sees TCY+FOF for $60. I think it's very likely he's purchasing Bowl Bound College Football.

Now the major X-factor here are the demos for both games. This is a major marketing tool, because you can basically put (a part of) the product in their hands and let them make the judgement.

I'd be curious to know the % of people who:

1) Buy without playing the demo
2) downalod the demo, then buy
3) download the demo, then don't buy
Old 10-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #76
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
So let's imagine the college fan who barely cares about pro football. He sees Bowl Bound college football for $35 (I'm guessing at price here), and he sees TCY+FOF for $60. I think it's very likely he's purchasing Bowl Bound College Football.

Now the major X-factor here are the demos for both games. This is a major marketing tool, because you can basically put (a part of) the product in their hands and let them make the judgement.

I'd be curious to know the % of people who:

1) Buy without playing the demo
2) downalod the demo, then buy
3) download the demo, then don't buy
I am probably talking out of my ass since I am not sure of the marketing or programming parts of creating this, but in addition to offering all sides of the game (college only, Pro Only, both), and to fit the price gap, couldn't licenses be distributed based on what you want? That way everyone gets to have their cake and eat it too? Have 3 tiers of licensing, one that unlocks the Pro, one for College only, and one for both (Gold/silver licenses??) For the lower level licenses, its basically the same price as buying the game individually, for the "total package", it costs lets say $60. And the licenses are upgradable at any time? That way, in terms of marketing, you can capture all of your market as it was for the game, and even gain some more by having the "TCY or Die" or "FOF or die" get a chance to see both games in one.

For instance, myself, I only play FOF, but that maybe because I have never seen TCY or played it once. If I bought the FOF version and was able to see the TCY (only view it), I may become more interested in that aspect of the game and upgrade my license to be able to play both, not just view one and play the other.

So if Joe College student as $30 to spend and really wants the TCY portion, he buys that license of the game. After just being able to read and view how his team is doing or maybe he has conquered the TCY version and he gets a look at what the pro version could be like, he feels like he wants to go to the Pro Level now, so for an additional $25 (or whatever amount), he can upgrade his license and play both.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 10-04-2005 at 02:04 PM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #77
Anthony
Banned

ct: that's like saying "which would you rather buy from SI - a MLS game for $20 or an entire universe of soccer leagues for $40 (or however much it costs)?"

i love the pro game, don't care about the college game - but it's about spending a little more to have more at my fingertips. more options. more possibilities. it's not realistic for an unknown to take over a pro team, as we do in FOF. gotta pay your dues in the college level. even though i don't like the college game, i would play it, build my coach up so that he gets an offer from a pro team. then more scenarios pop up - are you Dennis Erickson who jumps at the chance to take over a shitty rebuilding team like the 49ers or do you play it cool and hold out like Nick Saban or Spurrier for an offer from a much better franchise?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #78
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I just wanna know if he's going to come out with a game later this year period. If he is, then I'll hold off on the Xbox 360.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #79
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I am probably talking out of my ass since I am not sure of the marketing or programming parts of creating this, but in addition to offering all sides of the game (college only, Pro Only, both), and to fit the price gap, couldn't licenses be distributed based on what you want? That way everyone gets to have their cake and eat it too? Have 3 tiers of licensing, one that unlocks the Pro, one for College only, and one for both (Gold/silver licenses??) For the lower level licenses, its basically the same price as buying the game individually, for the "total package", it costs lets say $60. And the licenses are upgradable at any time? That way, in terms of marketing, you can capture all of your market as it was for the game, and even gain some more by having the "TCY or Die" or "FOF or die" get a chance to see both games in one.

For instance, myself, I only play FOF, but that maybe because I have never seen TCY or played it once. If I bought the FOF version and was able to see the TCY (only view it), I may become more interested in that aspect of the game and upgrade my license to be able to play both, not just view one and play the other.

So if Joe College student as $30 to spend and really wants the TCY portion, he buys that license of the game. After just being able to read and view how his team is doing or maybe he has conquered the TCY version and he gets a look at what the pro version could be like, he feels like he wants to go to the Pro Level now, so for an additional $25 (or whatever amount), he can upgrade his license and play both.

Jim: "I'm programmer not a magician dammit!"

Last edited by rkmsuf : 10-04-2005 at 02:06 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #80
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

ninny.

Last edited by gottimd : 10-04-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #81
rkmsuf
Head Coach

(tm)

thank you.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #82
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The fair price point of a combined game is too high for the market. There's just no niche for it right now.

Someone could come along and offer a combined product at $30. However, it would still mostly compete against the NFL and college games, strangely enough. Customers would not look at it like $30 for 2 versus $30 for 1 product. They buy what they're in the mood for.

There would be a value-add in creating more tie-ins between the college and pro games. However, this can be done through more exports.

I don't see a tremendous value as a gamer in having both simulating at the same time. For me, college is Saturdays, NFL is Sundays. Two different universes connected by the draft.

I run a business. Any CEO, from small to multi-national, has to have some sort of vision. Otherwise, why not just take a paycheck from someone else and sit in a cubicle all day reading Sportsline and ESPN.com? It's a lot easier, and probably a lot more profitable.

If people want to describe that vision as stubbornness, I can't control that. Of course I'm somewhat stubborn. Companies are not democracies. If they were, you could guarantee bankruptcy sooner or later. I do listen to my customers, however. That's why I'm here. And I also take a lot of time to analyze my sales records. Customers speak with their wallets, too.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #83
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
The fair price point of a combined game is too high for the market. There's just no niche for it right now.

Someone could come along and offer a combined product at $30. However, it would still mostly compete against the NFL and college games, strangely enough. Customers would not look at it like $30 for 2 versus $30 for 1 product. They buy what they're in the mood for.

There would be a value-add in creating more tie-ins between the college and pro games. However, this can be done through more exports.

I don't see a tremendous value as a gamer in having both simulating at the same time. For me, college is Saturdays, NFL is Sundays. Two different universes connected by the draft.

Uhh, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Buccaneer is a false prophet.

Last edited by moriarty : 10-04-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #84
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Classic rope a dope? Tomorrow morning, poof, fof/tcy combined flaming orgasm edition?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #85
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Classic rope a dope? Tomorrow morning, poof, fof/tcy combined flaming orgasm edition?

Read Jims post vertically.

(hopin it doesn't say 'fuck off' to all who oppose me')

Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #86
Anthony
Banned

i got the point long ago that Jim will go at it as he feels best - not that there's anything wrong w/ that, which was why i had stated *a* company should make such a game. perhaps a company with more resources would do it, perhaps by another small developer looking to aggressively take a big share of jim's consumer base. but i do think there is a big market out there for people who want these huge universes with hundreds of leagues running in the background.

why else would so many people, not liking soccer, continue to purchase CM/FM?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #87
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Of course I'm somewhat stubborn.

Hmm, I did not see that in the FAQ at Solecismic.com.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #88
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
why else would so many people, not liking soccer, continue to purchase CM/FM?

Because someone triple dog dared them?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #89
sabotai
General Manager

So Jim's not working on a combined game........*rubs hands together doing best Mr. Burns impression* Excellent.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #90
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Customers speak with their wallets, too.
Some wallets are nasty because they've been sweat on, farted on, and sat on for most of the day.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #91
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
So Jim's not working on a combined game........*rubs hands together doing best Mr. Burns impression* Excellent.

Yeah, but he also didn't say he was "working" on any game. Just that he has a vision....
Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #92
Daimyo
College Starter

From a business standpoint what is the difference between releasing TCY2 in 2005 for $30 and FOF6 in 2006 for $30 or relasing "Super Football 1" in 2005 for $30 and "Super Football 2" in 2006 for $30? Still two releases in two years... *shurg*

If anything, I don't think the business side is the drawback... most likely to do a combined game and do it right (on the level of say CM2) you'd need more than just one guy doing all the work.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #93
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
From a business standpoint what is the difference between releasing TCY2 in 2005 for $30 and FOF6 in 2006 for $30 or relasing "Super Football 1" in 2005 for $30 and "Super Football 2" in 2006 for $30? Still two releases in two years... *shurg*

If anything, I don't think the business side is the drawback... most likely to do a combined game and do it right (on the level of say CM2) you'd need more than just one guy doing all the work.

Because to create Super Football 1, it would probably take two years to create. Therefore you end up with TCY2 for $30 in 2005 and FOF6 in 2006 for $30 or Super Football 1 in 2006 for $60.

However, your second paragraph touches on it. Resources. The increased price would come from the increased amount of work to produce it.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #94
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Because to create Super Football 1, it would probably take two years to create. Therefore you end up with TCY2 for $30 in 2005 and FOF6 in 2006 for $30 or Super Football 1 in 2006 for $60.

However, your second paragraph touches on it. Resources. The increased price would come from the increased amount of work to produce it.

...and then you also have more people saying "Meh, the list of updates in Super Football 2 isn't wowing me. I'll just wait for Super Football 3, i don't need the newest version, since i'm not in a multiplayer league."

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 10-04-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #95
Buzzbee
College Starter

I'm not really sure I would want a concurrent pro and college game. Part of the fun of playing TCY or FOF, or even CM or TDCB is that you get to follow your team or follow your players. You enjoy watching your players develop and grow, and sometimes bust. Having both at once might divide your attention.

Having a college sim and pro sim rolled up in one nice, neat little package seems like it might cause one to detract from the other, in a practical sense. Think about it. Wouldn't you want to control both a college team and a pro team? If not, then all you are really asking for is coach movement from TCY to FOF and vice versa. Right? I mean you can certainly have both games open and sim one week at a time for each, right? Granted it isn't 'seamless', but it is do-able. Then at the end of the season export your TCY draft class and 'voila' the two games are integrated. Add coaches to that export and you've got your universe.

Back to my original point, if you want to manage a college and pro team it seems like the two could/would interfere. After you've recruited your incoming freshman, you want to hurry up and get them on the field to see how they do. The last thing you want to do is negotiate contracts with a bunch of pro players. Likewise, after maneuvering to get those top draft picks, the last thing you want to do is change gears and go to study hall.

I think the system now isn't too bad. It allows me to focus on one aspect at a time and develop a connection with a team and its players. Then, when I've made it through the season, I can shift focus and catch up with my pro team. Add coach movement with the draft class export and I'd be happy.

Others may have different play styles that might suit a 'super combo' game, but as is suits me pretty well.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #96
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think the one benefit (and to me it is a big one) is the idea of career advancement. FM captures this better than any game (and I don't really like FM). You start out as a crappy coach for a low division team and can move on to bigger and better things. In FOF, you really don't have any feel of career advancement. Usually, the only reason you coach a new team is because you want a new challenge. In TCY, you have a degree of advancement, but it is still limited. For me, I'd like to do what football coaches do in the real world: start out small, may be catch on with a bigger college program, and if I'm really, really, really successful, get a chance to be an NFL coach.

I understand all of your arguments. I just wanted to point out one large benefit, IMO, to combining the games.

Last edited by John Galt : 10-04-2005 at 04:07 PM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #97
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
I think the one benefit (and to me it is a big one) is the idea of career advancement. FM captures this better than any game (and I don't really like FM). You start out as a crappy coach for a low division team and can move on to bigger and better things. In FOF, you really don't have any feel of career advancement. Usually, the only reason you coach a new team is because you want a new challenge. In TCY, you have a degree of advancement, but it is still limited. For me, I'd like to do what football coaches do in the real world: start out small, may be catch on with a bigger college program, and if I'm really, really, really successful, get a chance to be an NFL coach.

I understand all of your arguments. I just wanted to point out one large benefit, IMO, to combining the games.

that's what i'm talking about.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:10 PM   #98
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
In TCY, you have a degree of advancement, but it is still limited. For me, I'd like to do what football coaches do in the real world: start out small, may be catch on with a bigger college program, and if I'm really, really, really successful, get a chance to be an NFL coach.
For me, that could be accomplished by having TCY encapsulate Div I-A, Div I-AA, Div II, Div III and NAIA schools more than it would be just having the ability to move to the NFL.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #99
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Hmm, I did not see that in the FAQ at Solecismic.com.
Hmm, someone actually read the FAQ at Solecismic.com...alert the media!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:12 PM   #100
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
For me, that could be accomplished by having TCY encapsulate Div I-A, Div I-AA, Div II, Div III and NAIA schools more than it would be just having the ability to move to the NFL.

True enough. But like the real world, I want to be able to coach the big boys and/or return to the college ranks.