Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2004, 12:03 AM   #51
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Arles,

You are absolutely correct. I would much rather send a man who did cocaine in his youth to office than a guy who was freaked out by the horrors he experienced in war.

Clinton proved again that he is the best modern day speaker we have out there. I think the quote "Strength and wisdom aren't opposing forces" will live on for quite some time.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:04 AM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
It's amazing. I've always voted Republican, but I would have likely voted for Leiberman or some other of the potentials this time around. Instead they trot out this douchebag.

Right with you dude. Like in my opinion on who I would have voted for instead of Bush it was......Leiberman, yes, Gephardt, I guess(reluctantly), Dean(probably not), but Edwards or Kerry....hell no. I can stand Edwards as a person, i appreciate some of the adversity he has gone through to get to where he is now, but hes not in line with my politics at all. And who the hell is this Lurch character named John Kerry. Why the hell cant there be some sort of reasonable moderate Democrat to vote against Bush with.

Last edited by stevew : 07-27-2004 at 12:05 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:19 AM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow Clinton's still got it. Looking forward to Kerry. I'm one Republican who is voting for the Democrat for President.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:26 AM   #54
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Right with you dude. Like in my opinion on who I would have voted for instead of Bush it was......Leiberman, yes, Gephardt, I guess(reluctantly), Dean(probably not), but Edwards or Kerry....hell no. I can stand Edwards as a person, i appreciate some of the adversity he has gone through to get to where he is now, but hes not in line with my politics at all. And who the hell is this Lurch character named John Kerry. Why the hell cant there be some sort of reasonable moderate Democrat to vote against Bush with.
Policywise, why would you go for Leiberman, Gephardt and possibly Dean but not Edwards or Kerry? I personally don't like John Kerry all that well, and I've never quite been clear how his policies differed from Gep's and particularly Dean's (since he basically stole Dean's platform.) The main distinction I recall between Kerry and Dean in terms of policy was Dean being anti-NAFTA and Kerry not really against it.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:01 AM   #55
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Wow. When some people want to dislike someone, they really go out of their way. I think there are much easier ways to be the "hero" than taking the protester route. So being a dispicable human being, as I would describe what you think Kerrys motives are, doesn't even make rational sense to me.

But hey, if making him out to be a bastard makes you feel better, screw rationality. Not to say it doesnt happen to both sides though, some do the same to Bush. Doesn't make sense to me in either case though, just wasted negative emotions IMO.
I guess this has more of a meaning to me because I saw what the whole experience did to my best friend's dad, and my friend himself. Hearing about how this man, who did absolutely nothing wrong in Vietnam, didn't even really agree with the war and lost part of a his leg, talk about the sheer disdain from the protestors when he got back was just chilling. Getting spit at in the face, told he was a "Nazi murderer" and rapist in many ways because people like John Kerry went up and told flat out lies about US soldiers to help justify the opposition to the war.

And then, when Kerry never mentions any specifics and later recants half the stories stating he was an "overzealous youth" on his testimony makes me a little sick. Perhaps if Kerry and other like him would have stuck to what they witnessed and not embelished to take shots at those in power or endear themselves to a certain political movement, the masses might not have been spitting and hurling insults at my friend's father.

How someone could say what Kerry said and then recant nearly all of it in a story in 2002, essentially saying he lied, is truly cowardly. If Kerry did indeed witness it, then provide the names of those who did it to the authorities and mention that it was only a select few. But, if he didn't witness it (as it now appears), stating what he did made ogres out of thousands of good and decent people.

If that's "making him out to be a bastard" then so be it. But there are a lot of good and decent human beings that have been made out to feel a lot worse than that in part because of Kerry's comments in his "overzealous youth".
Old 07-27-2004, 02:36 AM   #56
robbgmaier
College Prospect

Al.
Sharpton.

v.

Alan.
Keyes.

now, THERE would be an election
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:14 AM   #57
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Anyone see the "prison" that the protesters in Boston were put in? Sheesh, if that happens to the wacko lefty groups in New York we'll see nothing but outcries for weeks.

I'm sure many of these protesters ARE "wacko lefty groups" as you like to call them. Many of the groups that have been targeted and harrassed by the feds and security leading up to this are Anarchist groups....some which have been labeled domestic terrorists. Nothing like breaking out the "terrorist" word to automatically get most americans against them without ever hearing what their views are and what they may be protesting.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #58
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

>Wow Clinton's still got it.

Just saw the speech. He IS good isn't he? I don't think he believes a word of what he said, but he is good
Old 07-27-2004, 09:35 AM   #59
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
It's amazing. I've always voted Republican, but I would have likely voted for Leiberman or some other of the potentials this time around. Instead they trot out this douchebag.

Agreed completely. The one time when the Republican nominee has moved away from the very reason I typically vote Republican (financial policies), the Democrats nominate Kerry? The most liberal Senator? A guy who is more likely to tax us into the 18th century than to balance a budget through fiscal responsibility?

I would have boarded the Lieberman train so fast that monkeys in South America would have heard the sonic boom. But Kerry?

I feel as retched about Kerry/Bush Jr as I did four year ago when my party essentially abondoned our best presidential candidate since Reagan (in McCain) in because they had already decided to support GWB. Stupid, stupid, stupid move, and they are still paying for it, with a guy (and a Congress, to be honest) who spends like a Democrat (not a compliment) and has the Presidential integrity and character of a mule.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 07-27-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #60
rkmsuf
Head Coach

How do they get 4 nights out of this crap?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:47 AM   #61
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
This guy couldn't get the party to jump at him back in 1992, what's changed since then?

I think you are confusing John Kerry with Bob Kerrey. This is the first time John Kerry has run for president. Bob Kerrey was the one who sought the Democratic nomination in 1992.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:56 AM   #62
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

All you guys who want Liberman....we'll nominate him when you guys nominate Lincoln Chaffee. :-)
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:05 AM   #63
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I'm sure many of these protesters ARE "wacko lefty groups" as you like to call them. Many of the groups that have been targeted and harrassed by the feds and security leading up to this are Anarchist groups....some which have been labeled domestic terrorists. Nothing like breaking out the "terrorist" word to automatically get most americans against them without ever hearing what their views are and what they may be protesting.
Those people were protesting the DNC? I didn't see many in the shots they showed on the news (most are relgious and/or conservative groups).

Go check out those "Anarcist" websites and see how many advocate horid tactics against the RNC in New York and how many do same against Boston. I did a quick check and found out of the main 4 sites, not one says a cross word about the DNC convention. Two, however, recommend that people place bomb particles in the subway, cover themselves with rifle and gun residue, try to distract bomb sniffing dogs, get the RNC location shut down due to a bomb threat and advocate people sign up to volunteer for the republican convention and never show up.

Why should these people be labeled domestic terrorists when their sites advocate making bomb threats and distracting authorities with bomb parts? This is all in good fun, right?

Last edited by Arles : 07-27-2004 at 10:07 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:05 AM   #64
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
I think you are confusing John Kerry with Bob Kerrey. This is the first time John Kerry has run for president. Bob Kerrey was the one who sought the Democratic nomination in 1992.

I stand corrected.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:17 AM   #65
Bee
Pro Starter

Don't feel bad Anxiety...Politicians all look the same to me too.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #66
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think he believes a word of what he said, but he is good

He's a politician . Hell, I don't believe Bush believes a word of his "Compassionate Conservatism" crap, but it was great politics by Rove .
Old 07-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #67
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
I stand corrected.

-Anxiety

FWIW, I think that Bob Kerrey would have run if not for the potential war crimes controversy of a couple years ago, and that he would have been a great candidate for the Democrats. Until that question came along, he was my #1 choice of anyone in the country to be president.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #68
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Wow Clinton's still got it. Looking forward to Kerry. I'm one Republican who is voting for the Democrat for President.

Damn.

Monday - Beginning of DNC.

Issiddiqui - "Hmmmm....I love my happy Repbulican Life. What's on TV?"

PBS - "...Down with Bush! We hate him! Screw Bush!..."

CNN - "...Bush! We hate hime! Screw Bush! Bush suc..."

ABC - "...sucks ass! Liar! Baby Killer!...."

NBC - "...Killer! Racist! Clan Member!!!.....Down with Bush!!!...."

Issiddiqui - "OMG! Republicans are EVIL NAZI's! I'm voting for the America feller, Kerry!!!!"

----I guess they can wrap up the Convention a couple of days early.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:21 PM   #69
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I've talked with a number of people who served with John Kerry and above him (including retired Rear Admiral Roy Hoffman) who despise John Kerry, not for any of his political leanings, but because of his comments 30 years ago. Can those guys at least criticize the Senator, even if the rest of us cannot?

By the way, as far as funding for veterans goes, (and yes, I realize this is completely partisan) 21 Medal of Honor recepients have signed a letter to West Virginia vets in support of Bush over Kerry.

Quote:
We have listened to Senator Kerry falsely attack President Bush for months over funding for veterans, and it's time to set the record straight. The truth is President Bush has led the way on improving veterans' benefits, supporting our troops and restoring honor and dignity to the White House.

Since 2001, President Bush has increased veterans funding by over $20 billion, and funding for veterans' health care has increased by 40 percent since he took office. Funding for veterans has gone up twice as fast under President Bush as it did under President Clinton, and those who accuse the President of cutting funding are simply not being honest with veterans.

Meanwhile, John Kerry voted against a $1.3 billion increase in veterans health care, skipped votes on concurrent receipt and voted against funding for our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. And while he talks a good game, Kerry's record shows he is out of the mainstream. The American Flag symbolizes our ideals, our history and our values. President Bush shares this belief and supports a Constitutional Amendment banning desecration of the Flag. John Kerry believes this is "an attack on free speech."

We are disturbed that John Kerry would try to scare veterans with his false accusations, and we are disappointed in his lack of support for today's troops. Please join us in setting the record straight and showing your support for President Bush - a leader who has proven his support for those who have served, backs our troops defending our nation and shares our values.
In the interest of fairness, I also know a few veterans (including my own father) who'll be voting for John Kerry come November. It should be also noted that the only thing my father and I agree on is that we love one another despite our differences.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:00 PM   #70
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not sure what I missed of Al Gore's speach but from what I saw he is still a condescending asshole that talks to everyone as if he's talking to a 3 year old. Go re-invent the internet bitch!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #71
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
Not sure what I missed of Al Gore's speach but from what I saw he is still a condescending asshole that talks to everyone as if he's talking to a 3 year old. Go re-invent the internet bitch!!!

Sorry. He does that so that George can follow along.

I thought he gave a good speech, myself.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:12 PM   #72
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Those people were protesting the DNC? I didn't see many in the shots they showed on the news (most are relgious and/or conservative groups).

Go check out those "Anarcist" websites and see how many advocate horid tactics against the RNC in New York and how many do same against Boston. I did a quick check and found out of the main 4 sites, not one says a cross word about the DNC convention. Two, however, recommend that people place bomb particles in the subway, cover themselves with rifle and gun residue, try to distract bomb sniffing dogs, get the RNC location shut down due to a bomb threat and advocate people sign up to volunteer for the republican convention and never show up.

Why should these people be labeled domestic terrorists when their sites advocate making bomb threats and distracting authorities with bomb parts? This is all in good fun, right?

I would be interested in what sites you found these on. And this is not a "prove it" request, I am seriously interested in seeing it. I have not seen this, maybe we are talking of different "anarchists."

But yes there are anarchist groups who are protesting the DNC. Any decent anarchist hates the Dems as much as the Reps I would say.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 PM   #73
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

So, it is liberal dinosaur night. First Teddy Kennedy and now Dickie Gephardt. They both sounded like they are just reading notes from DNC lingoism booklet. I love Teddy slamming Bush using his family-line to gain power. Teddy would be working at a gas station if his name was Smith.

The points that have worked best have been pointing out how divide the country and the world has become, and then saying how Kerry will be a "real uniter not a divider."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #74
SFL Cat
College Starter

Since this is the anniversary of Teddy pleading innocent to manslaughter charges for the accident at Chappaquiddick, did anyone push a fish aquarium with a submerged model of a 1967 Oldsmobile Delta 88 in front of their TV while he spoke?
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #75
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Since this is the anniversary of Teddy pleading innocent to manslaughter charges for the accident at Chappaquiddick, did anyone push a fish aquarium with a submerged model of a 1967 Oldsmobile Delta 88 in front of their TV while he spoke?

Missed my chance.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:16 PM   #76
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Hey three of the man's brothers were killed! I think the guy is entitled to at least one in return. What? That's not how it works? Never mind.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #77
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Agreed completely. The one time when the Republican nominee has moved away from the very reason I typically vote Republican (financial policies), the Democrats nominate Kerry? The most liberal Senator? A guy who is more likely to tax us into the 18th century than to balance a budget through fiscal responsibility?

I would have boarded the Lieberman train so fast that monkeys in South America would have heard the sonic boom. But Kerry?

I feel as retched about Kerry/Bush Jr as I did four year ago when my party essentially abondoned our best presidential candidate since Reagan (in McCain) in because they had already decided to support GWB. Stupid, stupid, stupid move, and they are still paying for it, with a guy (and a Congress, to be honest) who spends like a Democrat (not a compliment) and has the Presidential integrity and character of a mule.

-Anxiety

Well said- Bush has failed me in every trait I hold valuable in Republicans, The only conservative thing he does is the social policies, some of which I find repulsive (amending the constitution to condemn a class of Americans as secondary ? - wtf ? )
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:22 PM   #78
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I would be interested in what sites you found these on. And this is not a "prove it" request, I am seriously interested in seeing it. I have not seen this, maybe we are talking of different "anarchists."

But yes there are anarchist groups who are protesting the DNC. Any decent anarchist hates the Dems as much as the Reps I would say.
Doing a quick search, here's a story on it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-182089c.html
Old 07-27-2004, 08:22 PM   #79
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
Hey three of the man's brothers were killed! I think the guy is entitled to at least one in return. What? That's not how it works? Never mind.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:24 PM   #80
duckman
Pro Starter

I think someone at the convention should crack open a cold beer and walk around ole Teddy and tell him how good it tastes.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #81
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman
I think someone at the convention should crack open a cold beer and walk around ole Teddy and tell him how good it tastes.

Not before putting the Coast Guard on alert. Boston has a pretty fair-sized harbor, you know.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:28 PM   #82
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Not before putting the Coast Guard on alert. Boston has a pretty fair-sized harbor, you know.

I swear the man stays half lit most of the time. You could use his blood to clean open wounds.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #83
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Hot damn.

This Obama guy is good.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #84
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Obama,

He can be president someday. He's got the goods.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #85
GrantDawg

He was an impressive speaker.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #86
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

He showed why Ryan was going to get waxed even without the swinger stuff and why Ditka wanted no part of a fight against him. I doubt Obama will ever be President, but he'll be a political force for at least the next two decades.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:24 PM   #87
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
then saying how Kerry will be a "real uniter not a divider."

One of the funniest things I have ever heard in all of my years of following politics. Right up there with Clinton talking about strength and wisdom. It may have been a good sound bite but in his 8 years of presidency, he didn't exhibit either. So how can he talk like he knows what was written on the teleprompter?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:00 PM   #88
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
One of the funniest things I have ever heard in all of my years of following politics. Right up there with Clinton talking about strength and wisdom. It may have been a good sound bite but in his 8 years of presidency, he didn't exhibit either. So how can he talk like he knows what was written on the teleprompter?

Almost as funny as Bush criticizing Clinton for using the military for nation building during the 2000 election.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #89
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Almost, but not quite as funny.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:55 AM   #90
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Damn, I really wanted to see Obama speak tonight. Caught a small interview with him on one of the news channels a couple days ago and he was quite impressive. I think that name is a little to close to Osama for him to ever get near the presidency though.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:12 PM   #91
GrantDawg

A little early (mainly because I have a speaking engagement tonight) but...

Isn't it funny that Edwards is talking about the "Two Americas" tonight? The last two nights, over and over again speakers have condemned the Reuplicans for "winning only by dividing us." Yet tonight Edwards is going to try to win people over by what is classic class warfare. Silly politicians.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:51 PM   #92
sabotai
General Manager

Wouldn't it be funny if...

John Edwards gets to the podium. The crowd is going nuts. Everyone is cheering him on and he's got a big smile on his face. The crowd quiets down gradually. The camera focuses on him as he looks out into the crowd. He looks down. A weird look comes over his face. Kind of like someone farted. Then his head snaps up with an angry look on his face and all he says is "Forget the commercials. I take it back. This guy fucking SUCKS!" And then walks off as every stands in shock.

....I'd laugh.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #93
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'd then vote for Edwards for telling the truth.

"Finally, a politico with stones!!!", I'd say.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-28-2004 at 08:23 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #94
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bump.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #95
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Obama,

He can be president someday. He's got the goods.

Ding ding ding!