Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sterling Silvers will go normal.

Ok, I'm curious- so did the scoring work? I went -3 and -4 in my 2 parts.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:01 PM   #52
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

Sterling, you actually scored -1 in the back nine, thus adding up to -4 for round 1. Took me a moment to gather this as well.
FargoFreez aka fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:04 PM   #53
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by FargoFreez aka fof playa
Sterling, you actually scored -1 in the back nine, thus adding up to -4 for round 1. Took me a moment to gather this as well.

Ah, so that number after the second round is the total for the entire day. Got it! Thx.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:17 PM   #54
TLK
Pro Starter

Kevin Boroniec (+1) - Aggressive
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:19 PM   #55
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kyle Kappe will stay aggressive
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #56
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Don't need to say a style, as I only have one, but wanted to say this is lots of fun, Breeze. Keep it up.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:22 PM   #57
kingfc22
Head Coach

David Gonzalez will go normal
Old 12-21-2003, 08:43 PM   #58
Travis
Pro Rookie

Rolin has to go aggressive just to *hopefully* make the cut. Sheesh, +6, what a way to start.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:37 PM   #59
Blade6119
Coordinator

i gotta go agressive since im behind
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 09:41 PM   #60
Blade
College Prospect

Mike Tokunaga will go aggressive...

Do or die!!!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:09 PM   #61
Craptacular
College Starter

It's Craptacular will play normal again. Just gotta put the ball a little closer and let my putting take over.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:17 PM   #62
tucker342
Pro Starter

well at least I'm not in last....

AJ Tucker will go Aggressive hoping to some how make the cut.....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:35 AM   #63
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Opps. Sorry Fargo...I must have gone crosseyed when I was trying to read the scoresheet.

It's fixed
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:25 AM   #64
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Tucker - I only have you as able to play Neutral - let me know if I have that entered wrong.

Please remember to post your golfer name and preferred style - it saves me time looking it up and allows others on the thread to make the association of player name and poster name.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:30 AM   #65
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Waiting on style of play from:

Jeff Nights
Alan Kelmay
Kevin Wayne
Bradley Nowell
Mike Tokunaga
Old 12-22-2003, 07:30 AM   #66
dolfin
High School JV

Kevin Wayne should always be aggressive.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:32 AM   #67
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I got you listed as Neutral or Aggressive, Maybe I copied it down wrong.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:56 AM   #68
Blade
College Prospect

Hey Breeze...I posted for Mike Tokunaga above your post...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 09:00 AM   #69
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

That's why I post what I got....I always seem to miss something.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:26 AM   #70
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

PEBBLE BEACH - ROUND 2 - FRONT 9

Note: Here is how to read the information:

Player Name - Rd 1 score: Rd 2 score (at this point its just the front 9) - (total score compared to par)

Here are some front 9 results

Michael Weideman - 69: 36 (-3)
Dispite the fact he isn't particularly long off the tee, Michael reaches number 2 par 5 in 2, two putts later and he has an easy birdie. Number 3 also proves to be an easy birdie. Things go well until the 9th hole. On the 9th hole, Weidman leaves the ball right and it ends up in the huge waste bunker. Weideman is one of the better players on the tour out of the sand, but he tried to be too aggressive with the difficult shot and the ball ended up hitting the bank by the green and rolling back into the bunker. The 3rd shot out of the bunker was long and ended up in the rough on the far side of the green. He had a bad lie, but his ability to scramble gave him a 10 foot putt for bogey. The putt lipped out and Michael settled for double.

A J Tucker - 75: 37 (+4)
Tucker was hoping to start off fast today, but it took a 9 foot putt on number 1 to save par, and another 10 to 12 foot putt on 2 to save par. 3 was played perfectly, and finally he was able to make a putt for birdie. Number 9 reared its ugly head again. Waste bunker to short of the green, bad chip leaving him 40+ feet with alot of break, 3 putts later and you've got a double bogey.

Sterling Silvers - 68: 34 ( - 6)
Silvers, who was already on the leaderboard, established that he will be a factor on the weekend, by going birdie, birdie out of the gate. Both times he sunk a 18+ foot putt. The par 5 - 6th was also birdied. The 8th hole proved a little too much for Silvers. He ended up in one of the bunkers and failed to get up and down.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-22-2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:42 AM   #71
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Fad Braxton - 72: 35 (- 1)
Braxton started the 2nd round by bogeying the first hole when he hit a terrible chip on his 3rd shot and failed to make a 22 foot putt for par. The 3rd hole was an easy birdie, and the 5th hole was a laser sighted iron to about 6 feet for birdie.

T. E. Almighty - 67: 32 ( - 9)
A Co-leader going into round 2, he showed his tremendous focus early. He birdied 2, hit a bad sand shot on 3 - but managed to sink the 16 footer for par, birdied 4 with a 24 foot putt, birdied 6 and 7 by hitting great iron shots into the green.

It's Craptacular - 71: 36 ( - 1)
His 3rd set of 9 holes proved a little more exciting than his first two. He reached the par 5 second hole in two and two putted for birdie. However, a bad drive on the 3rd hole gave him no shot at the green. His layup was fine, but the 75 yard pitch was caught heavy and the ball didn't get to the green. The chip was ok at best and 2 putts later Craptacular had a double bogey. On number 6 he didn't reach the green in two, and his 100+ yard pitch on the 3rd shot wasn't good, but his dynamic putting ability showed through when he sank a 30 footer for birdie.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-22-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:02 AM   #72
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Marshall Herd - 69: 31 (- 8)
Herd started off red hot in round two going birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie - his irons were consistantly within 15 feet and his putts were hammered home. Another birdie was added on the 8th for good measure. Bogey was never a fear - because not one bad shot was hit.

Rolin Bywater - 78: 38 (+8)
It was obvious from the first hole and Rolin was going out shooting for pens. On hole number 1 a good tee shot followed by a great 9 iron to within 8 feet led to a birdie. A good legth straight drive on 2 and a quality 3 wood reached the green in 2. An aggressive putt was nearly sunk for eagle, but insted a testy 7 footer was made for birdie. It appeared this aggressive style was going to pay off, but it finally bit Rolin on hole 6 where he blew a 26 foot, down hill, birdie putt 14 feet by the hole. Then missed it coming back and took a bogey. On 8 he hit the ball in the fronting bunker, was terrible out of the sand and was a bit lucky to get bogey. Number 9 was hit in the waste bunker off the tee, and again he was lucky to only loose one stroke on the hole.

Rob Nielsen - 74: 33 ( - 1)
Looking to post a good score so he can make the cut, Rob came out firing - birdie, birdie, birdie. A super up and down on 4 saved par, and from there he played solid golf for the rest of the front 9.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-22-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:27 AM   #73
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Fad Braxton's a little disappointed with his play thus far. He knows he can make anything he looks at, but his poor driving has left him looking at long, long putts.

He'll be at the driving range after this round, trying out some new drivers and looking for a few extra yards.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:46 AM   #74
The_herd
College Starter

Can't stop me now. Although this T.E. Almighty guy is a bit of an annoyance.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:58 AM   #75
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Breeze? Can you kindly call me Rob instead of Ron?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #76
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

CW...sorry, I knew I sucked at remembering names...I just didn't know I sucked at writing them too.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 AM   #77
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Colton Mayes - 73: 37 (+2)
Mayes needing most likely to finish at least a couple of stroke under par to make the cut got a birdie on 2, but gave the stroke back on number 5 when he selected the wrong club to the par 3, came up short and didn't get up and down. He also bogeyed number 9 on a 3 putt.

Kyle Smith - 69: 37 ( - 2)
Smith, who is on the leaderboard, came out very conservative. He birdied number 1 in textbook fassion, then settled for pars until number 7, when he failed to get up and down . His streakyness showed on number 8, where he seemed to still be thinking about the chip on 7, and ended up with bogey.

David Gonzalez - 73: 33 (-2)
Gonzalez another golfer needing a good day to make the cut, did a bunch on the first two holes. He birdies number 1 after a huge drive left him with a lob wedge which he hit within 6 feet, and his monsterous length allowed him to hit a 5 iron into the green on number 2. His shot landed 11 feet away and he made the putt for eagle. The rest of the 9 was parred out.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:55 AM   #78
Sublime
High School JV

Not sure if it matters now, but Bradley Nowell...conservative
Old 12-22-2003, 12:22 PM   #79
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Jimmy Fuijita - 73: 33 (- 2)
Looking to make a move and get to Saturday's round, Fuijita was aggressive. A chip in from the fringe on 2 gave him a birdie, a bad drive on 3 cost him a stroke. However, he rebounded at 4 to get it back. A decent drive at 6 followed by a decent layup iron, decent approach and great putt gives him a bird at 6. Then amazingly he hits the best drive of the day to that point on 9, follows it up with an iron to within 8 feet, and makes the putt for birdie.

Kevin Boroniec - 73: 38 (+3)
Bornoniec is another golfer hoping to make the cut by firing at the pen. Worked on number 1, but the aggressiveness got him a bogey at number 2 and 6. Both par fives he went for too much from the tee, missed the fairway and it was downhill from there. On 8 he hit the ball in the trap and didn't get up and down.

Ron Juckett - 70: 32 (-6)
Juckett played a smart front 9, as he took what the course gave him. No bogeys on the front, but plenty of birdies, on 4 it was textbook, on 5 it was the iron from the tee, on good iron to the green and good putt, on 8 it was textbook once again.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:32 PM   #80
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wow, you all wait until the next tournament! No way I can suck as bad then!

HAHAHA!
Old 12-22-2003, 02:57 PM   #81
tucker342
Pro Starter

ummmm ouch.... not doing too hot....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:58 PM   #82
JeffNights
College Prospect

jeff nights should be agressive
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:46 PM   #83
vtbub
College Starter

There is no such thing as a textbook birdie on 8 at Pebble

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:20 PM   #84
kingfc22
Head Coach

Gonzalez looks like he is trying to mount a mini-charge to make the cut. Hopefully, my distance doesn't put me into a bad situation on the back 9.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:56 AM   #85
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Brian Babson - 67: 33 (-8)
Babson, one of the leaders after the first round, kept pace on the front side with some of the hot golfers. His driver, as is usually the case was extremely long, but it was also rather straight early. He birdied 1, easily reached 2 in 2 and made the eagle putt from 11 feet, birdied 3 without much effort. His achillies heal, putting, showed up on 7 when he 3 putted from about 18 feet for bogey.

Stan Gunner - 68: 34 (-6)
Gunner started off pretty slow, grabbing pars (some of them tough ones) on the first 5 holes. In fact, he was so inconsistent early, it looked like he might end up backing up to the field. However, his resourcefulness started to show on 6, where his huge drive, and incredible 2 iron placed him only 8 feet from eagle, which he made. He followed that up by hitting a birdie on the par 3 7th. 8 and 9 were a bit inconsistant but both were pars. Despite not playing particularly well in the front Gunner was 3 under.

Alan Kelmay - 67: 38 (-3)
Kelmay, co-leader after the first round, started off this round hot, going birdie birdie. However a terrible drive on the 3rd put Alan in deep rough with no shot at the green. He attempted it anyway, hit a tree and dropped straight down into more thick grass. At the end of the hole he had a give back the two stroke he earned at the first two holes. Pars continued until number 8, where a drive in the bunker led to a very poor approach and a bogey, and number 9 was a carbon copy of 8.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:10 AM   #86
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Kyle Kappe III - 69: 34 (-5)
Realizing players on the leaderboard had already gone low, Kappe decided to be aggressive on the day, a strategy that had already doomed a few earlier golfers. The first hole was a disappointing par, when an 8 foot putt lipped out. 2 and 3 were both birdied, but one stroke was returned at 4 when the drive missed the fairway and the approach was missed on the shortside. The long par 5 6th was birdied with a great 3rd shot approach, and Kappe's unbelievable scrambling ability earned him a tough par on number 9.

Duncan Baxter - 68: 34 (-6}
Baxter, who never seems to feel any urgency, continued to take what the course gave him, and early it was giving him a lot. Great iron play on the first 3 holes led to birdies, but a careless drive on number 4 found a fairway bunker, and while not terrible out of the sand, this is truly one of Baxter's weaknesses. His next shot hit the lip of the bunker, kicked almost straight up and went less than 50 yards down the fairway. The 3rd shot ended up in a greenside bunker. He blasted out and 2 putted for double. The tough Euro battled back to birdie number 6 and 7 with great putts. Number 8 the tee ball again found sand and another bogey was added to the card.

Jeff Nights 74: 37 (+3)
Jeff at 2 over after the first 9 figured he needed to post a good number to make the cut, so he went all out. The straight driving helped on number 2 as a long drive landed exactly where it was aimed and set up a perfect angle to attack the pen in 2. Nights hit his eagle putt to firm and it didn't take the break, but he did make the birdie coming back. Number 4 was bogeyed, and so was number 9 when he hit a chip too hard and it ran 14 feet by the hole, and the ensuing putt was missed.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:23 AM   #87
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Holy cow, go Butcher! Barring a huge disaster, looks like he'll be making the cut. I did have to laugh at the 3-putt from 18 feet though. It's nice to be known for something on the tour.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:27 AM   #88
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Shane Kormelink - 70: 33 (-5)
Kormellink played extremely well on the front, the only bad shot it was a chip on number 5, but he managed to make the 13 foot putt for par. He also birdied 2, 3, and 6 with solid play.

Mike Tokunaga - 71: 34 (-3)
Mike didn't bogey a hole on the front, and was never really in any danger of doing so. He did birdie 3 and 6.

Kevin Wayne - 71: 36 (-1)
Wayne in need of some birdies to assure he makes the cut, started off ok by getting a birdie on the easy 3rd hole, then birdied the par 3 5th hole when the iron approach was within 10 feet. However, number 8 drive found a bunker, and Wayne was lucky to bogey the hole. Number 9 drive didn't end up in a bunker, but on a bank, where the ball was way below Wayne's feet and there was no possible way to get a solid stance - result Bogey.

Bradley Nowell - 75: 37 (+4)
Bradley started off by getting a birdie on number 2, when he nearly reached it in two and got up and down. Number 7 he let a stroke get away by 3 putting from 22 feet. On number 8 his drive found a bunker, since Nowell isn't a great bunker player - people were amazed when his shot landed within 6 feet and rolled to stop only 12 feet from the pen. The putt was made for birdie....BUT WAIT - Bradley, thought that his ball had landed in a waste bunker off the tee, when in fact it wasn't a waste bunker after all. Before hitting the ball, Nowell took a practice swing and grouded his club - that is a two stroke penalty and takes his score on the 8th hole from a 3 to a 5 and probably cost him a shot at making the cut

Last edited by Breeze : 12-23-2003 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:30 AM   #89
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Tournament Update - Projected Cut

It appears that the cut line will be around 3 under par. Numerous golfers are in a position to affect that number, and the back nine will be big for those looking the make some money this weekend.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:05 AM   #90
StanGunner
Mascot

Nice job. You have a lot of interest and participation on this one.
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:10 AM   #91
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

ROUND 2 - BACK 9

With the cut projected at -3 numerous golfers are safely into the second round (barring a huge meltdown). However, there are a bunch of golfers jockeying for position on the leaderboard.

Brian Babson 67: 67 (-10)
Brian's 3 under front side was nearly matched on the back. He survived the 10th, then capitalized on the breather 11th hole. The rest of the 9 was pretty dull - reach the green in two and two putt. Until number 18, where his huge tee shots once again pay off. He attempted to go for the green in two, didn't reach it because he bailed out, but managed to get up and down for birdie.

Duncan Baxter 68:71 (-5)
Baxter's conservative play paid off on the front. In fact, if not for a bad 4th hole he would have had an excellent side. The back 9 proved a little more difficult for Baxter. The lack of length off the tee hurt him on 10 where he was forced to hit a 5 iron into the wind to reach the green. The ball hit the green but didn't hold and he was unable to get up and down. The lack of length also hurt on the par 5, 14th. His drive found the rough making it very short off the tee and making it difficult to get the club head to the ball. The second shot was short, the 3 came up just short of the green, chip up and 2 putt for bogey. On the good side a great approach on 11 gave Baxter his only bird on the side.

Kyle Kappe III 69: 67 (-8)
Kappe's hot play on the front was exceeded on the back. He birdies the extremely tough 10th, then gets another on 14, scrambles around to save par on 16, birdies 17 when the iron off the stops within 9 feet, and then scrambles again on 18 to save par.

Kyle Smith 69:68 (-7)
It appeared that Smith's front nine was going to knock him out of contention. However, he rebounded incredibly on the back. This streaky golfer his a hot streak to beat the band. To start there were no bogeys, add in birdies at 11, 12, 13, 15, 18 and he's right back in contention.

Marshall Herd 69:65 (-10)
The hottest player in the front side, shooting a 31, didn't match his production on the back, but he also didn't miss by much. The only blemish on his card for all 18 holes was the par 4 15th. His tee ball when out of bounds, but amazingly he managed to only get a bogey on the hole. Herd birdied 11 and 13 with great approaches and 17 with a long putt.

Ron Juckett 70: 66 (-8)
Juckett's first round was good, not great but good, his second round allows him to play on the weekend. What a round for Juckett, going 32:34. Juckett bogeyed the par 3 12th, when his ball missed the green short side and there was very little green to work with on the chip. He did birdie the tough 10th, got another at 13, got one at 15 and survived a bad chip at 18 by making an 11 foot putt.

Shane Kormelink 70:68 (-6)
Shane was hoping to keep pace with the leaders. The front side was a 33 the back didn't quite measure up. He played textbook golf, but was unable to sink some difficult birdie putts and was forced to settle for pars. His lone bird came on 17, a combination of a good iron off the tee and sinking a 12 foot putt.

Stan Gunner 68:65 (-11)
Another golfer that was redhot on the front, only this one even played better on the back. No bogeys. 3 consecutive birdies on 13-15 and another at 18. The birds at 13 and 15 were set up by the iron into the green leaving Gunner with short putts. Drives on 14 and 18 set Gunner up in a position to be aggressive and get a birdie.

Sterling Silvers 68:69 (-7)
Silvers continued his solid play, he didn't get greedy and force the issue. In fact he kept taking his par and moving on. On the 17th green a 20 foot putt gave silvers his only birdie for the side.

TE Almighty 67:67 (-10)
Almighty's back nine was very similar to Silvers'. The birdie for TE came on the par 5 14th. The 3rd shot from exactly 100 yards landed within 6 feet and the putt was made.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-23-2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #92
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

As with the players who had safely made the cut and were jockeying for position, there are a few golfers playing out the string and looking to move to next weeks tournament

Rolin Bywater 78:76 (+10)
After the 78 on the first day and a 37 on the front side it appeared Bywater lost interest. He bogeyed 10, 14, and 15 while not getting a single par on the back.

Kevin Boroniec 73: 77 (+6)
Kevin was borderline to making it coming into the second day, a 2 over front caused him to press on the back and a 3 over back ended his week on the links.

Jeff Nights 74: 71 (+1)
Nights needed a good 9 to make the cut, the front side was one over, meaning the back would have to be especially low. Nights did score 3 birdies and took only 1 bogey for a 34, but too little to late.

Bradley Nowell 75: 74 (+5)
He rebouded about as well as could be expected from the suprise 2 stroke penalty. The back 9 was all pars.

AJ Tucker 75: 75 (+6)
Tucker was never really in it after a 75 on day 1 and a 37 on the front. The back was 2 over with bogeys coming on 10 and 14.

Colton Mayes 73:75 (+4)
Mayes neve got it going. In fact this streaky player his a cold streak on the back. He bogeyed 10, 12, and 13, finally broke the streak with a bird on 14.

Last edited by Breeze : 12-23-2003 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:45 AM   #93
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Tourament Update - Projected Cut

Because only half the field and ties make the cut and 10 players are 5 under are better there are 9 players vying for basically 2 spots. New projected cut line - 4 under.

These are the scores at the turn

Alan Kelmay (-3) - Great first day, but bad front 9, can he hang on?

Mike Tokunaga (-3) - Played solid on Thursday, front side was 2 under, can he get to 4 under and hold on?

Michael Weideman (-3) - nice first day, parred out on the front, may have to do a little better than par on the back.

Jimmy Fuijita (-2) - Ok first day, hot front side, if he matches the play on the front he'll make the cut.

David Gonzalez (-2) - See Jimmy Fuijita

Rob Nielsen (-1) - Trying to rebound from an erratic first day. Had a great front side.

It's Craptacular (-1) - He's been solid, but he might need to be specatular to get to the weekend.

Fad Braxton (-1) - Even day 1, 1 under on the front, needs to do better on the back.

Kevin Wayne (-1) - 1 under on day 1, even on the front, needs to do better on the back.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:59 AM   #94
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Alright, Fad. Time to sack up and play some goff.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 10:25 AM   #95
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Players on the bubble

Alan Kelmay - 67:73 (-4)
Kelmay rebounded from a 2 over front side to a 1 under back. He birdied 12 and 13, but threw a stroke back on 18. Right now he's on the cut line, that lost stroke at 18 could come back to haunt him depending on what the other players shoot.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:32 AM   #96
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Good suspense Breeze.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #97
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Mike Tokunaga - 71:71 (-2)
Mike's 34 on the front put him in a good position to make the cut, but he bogeyed number 10 when he 3 putted and he was never able to get his stroke back. At 2 under Tokunaga is going to need some help to make the cut. He trails Kelmay, so he'll need each of the other players on the bubble to finish no better than 2 under.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:58 AM   #98
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Michael Weideman - 69:74 (-1)
Weideman's great first day was almost equaled by his poor play on Friday. The front side was even par mostly because of a meltdown on number 9. The back side started off bad with a bogey at 10, and then Michael forced the issue on 14, trying to go for it in 2. He came up well short and was in trouble. Eventually he bogeyed the hole. The rest of the 9 was played to par. A poor showing on day 2 has eliminated any chance of Weideman making the cut. He literally went from the leaderboard to out of the money in one day. He certainly didn't play well, but the fact that he missed the cut has more to do with the play of his opponents than his poor play. Too many players shot in the 65 to 68 range for him to shoot 3 over.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #99
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Woot! If that's how I play when I'm "Conservative" (Kyle Smith), I'd hate to see what kind of number I can throw out there as "Aggressive"!
Old 12-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #100
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

David Gonzalez - 73: 65 (-6)
Gonzalez shot a 33 on the front which positioned him nicely to fight for one the spots left to compete on the weekend. On the back, he slammed the door on any possibility he wouldn't make it. Birdies at 11, 13, 14, and 17 coupled with no bogeys gave him an astounding 32 on the back and 65 for the round. Gonzalez not only made the cut he has gotten within striking distance of the leaders.

This makes Kelmay's 4 under that much more perilous. If anyone gets to 5 under Kelmay misses the cut. Of course the players coming up have to shoot lower numbers to get to 5 under.