Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #51
StrangeWay
n00b

I love Tim O. and think he's amazing in this, and it's in my top 5 shows right now. LOVE Boyd.

StrangeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #52
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Well, there's a power vacuum and one man seems in a good spot to fill it up. I imagine that's where we head, and I like where its going.

Gotcha!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #53
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I enjoyed the penultimate episode more than the finale, which was a bit predictable, but very good. Too much of the cavalry arriving deus ex machina at the end for me.

My wife said, "Is this coming back? Everyone is dead."

Boyd Crowder is the best character on TV right now. Very complex, many facets, but true to himself. His actions are believable, not at all contrived. I look forward to he and Ava next season as we see who comes in to take over Harlan County. The Jere Burns character and Winona's ex-husband are likely there.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #54
BYU 14
Coordinator

I agree with your summary Giants, I knew what Mags was going to do at the end as soon as it focused on the Mason Jar she was grabbing, no way she would have killed Raylen at that point. Still season 2 was outstanding and remember, there is still one Bennett left, albeit in custody.

Walton Coggins is one of the best character actors in the business IMO, his work in this series and The Shield is nothing short of spectacular and they could do a lot with him as the primary villian now. Timothy Olyphant is great as Raylen and there are still some places they can take this, though it may make sense to expand the geographical area they are covering, with maybe Boyd getting involved in some dabauchery in Lexington.

Definitely hope it comes back, right up there with The Shield and Rescue Me as the FX networks top series.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #55
Saul Goode
Banned

Is it just me or did something not seem right about the end of the season finale.

Spoiler

It ends right there, my gut says she is faking it. Why kill off arguably the best character?
Saul Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #56
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Certainly was no accident. She had nothing left. The two boys she loved gone, the girl tries to kill her, she's admitted to murder in front of federal marshals.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-10-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #57
samifan24
Pro Starter

I know I'm in the minority but I liked the show better when it split time between the Boyd/Harlan crooks story line and the "more marshal" like cases every few weeks. Mags was a great character but I grew tired of some of the other characters every week.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #58
Saul Goode
Banned

Quote:
Certainly was no accident. She had nothing left. The two boys she loved gone, the girl tries to kill her, she's admitted to murder in front of federal marshals.

Oh yea, forgot about the whole murder thing, that puts a slight damper on my theory. Kudos, to you sir.
Saul Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #59
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
I enjoyed the penultimate episode more than the finale, which was a bit predictable, but very good. Too much of the cavalry arriving deus ex machina at the end for me.

My wife said, "Is this coming back? Everyone is dead."

Boyd Crowder is the best character on TV right now. Very complex, many facets, but true to himself. His actions are believable, not at all contrived. I look forward to he and Ava next season as we see who comes in to take over Harlan County. The Jere Burns character and Winona's ex-husband are likely there.

Just got caught up a couple days ago - this post sums up my feelings. Liked season two a lot, last episode was necessary but unrewarding, but there are quite a number of characters there that they could do things with. I can't get enough of Win Duffy (Jere Burns).
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #60
Bad-example
College Starter

I liked the season but felt they tried to stretch things out with the lame storyline involving the cash from the evidence locker. I liked the symmetry between the first and last episodes with the poison but agree that it was ultimately unsatisfying.

I wonder if she had two poisoned mugs and chose to use just the one...

I don't expect they will have much trouble coming up with new bad guys for next season. The writers seem to have a clue what they're doing.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #61
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Excellent start to the season.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #62
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Excellent start to the season.

Agreed. I've been a Neal McDonough fan for a long time and I'm excited to see what he adds to the show.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #63
BYU 14
Coordinator

Very interesting start, Nicks is one creepy dude.

I wondered what the hell Boyd was up to attacking Raylen in the Marshalls office........That became pretty clear at the end of the episode
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #64
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

this has been a great season so far.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #65
BYU 14
Coordinator

I like the way they are interwining the main storyline with the minor ones. They are getting better at this every season.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #66
Bad-example
College Starter

I don't like seeing a good guy from Band of Brothers portray a villain. Besides that I give a big thumbs up for the start of season 3.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #67
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I don't like seeing a good guy from Band of Brothers portray a villain. Besides that I give a big thumbs up for the start of season 3.

I like how they utilize actors from other series that way. I had to do a bit of Googling to figure out the nurse this episode was played by Maggie Lawson from Psych.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #68
BYU 14
Coordinator

This is turning out to be the best season yet IMO, really like the chess match going on between Quarles, Boyd Crowder and Raylen Givens.

Not to mention last nights return of the 'old friend'
Old 04-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #69
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I loved the season, but I have to say I was a little disappointed by the finale - just seemed like there were all these showdowns building that never really materialized
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #70
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Where I felt last season was excellent, I felt this season was merely pretty good. On the otherhand, I felt that the ending was excellent. I felt that it paid off a lot of what had come before in deep resonant ways, whether with Limehouse or with Arlo or with Boyd & Ava.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #71
Bad-example
College Starter

Meh. I thought Quarles was an unconvincing, uncompelling villain. The season dragged. I get the feeling that writers are being pressured to make more episodes than they really have story to fill. Whatever the reason, season three was muddled and uneven.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #72
BYU 14
Coordinator

I was a little disappointed in the finale as well. I thought earlier in the season that there was potential for a huge blowoff in the finale and they kind of dropped the ball.

I actually liked Quarles, but felt they just didn't have a clear plan on how to deal with him the last couple of episodes, just felt flat.

On the other hand, I liked where they went with Arlo and like that Boyd and Raylen are set up for a potentially good storyline next season. Limehouse could be utilized next season as well, but hopefully they don't bring in any more major villians. I would like to see the show return more to the season 2 formula that did a really good job of weaving one offs with the main storyline IMO.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-13-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #73
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I got the chance to watch the last episode and have to say I really enjoyed it. I paid attention to all the little clues they sprinkled in this season that Arlo was going all Pat Summit. His calling Boyd 'Raylon' during the penultimate episode rally setup the finale plot resolution. Raylon explaining to Winona who the man in the hat was that Arlo thought he was protecting Boyd from was excellent.

Jere Burns was a mediocre comic actor but has become an excellent bad guy on this show and on BURN NOTICE. His acting in the trailer with Raylon was top notch.

Qualres was over-the-top, and prolonged during the season, but his demise was one of the season's biggest laughs for me.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #74
Radii
Head Coach

From: FX sets January premieres for Justified, Archer, Anger Management & more

Season 4 of "Justified" will debut on Tuesday, January 8 at 10 p.m. Stories this season will include Raylan Givens investigating a cold case that ties back to his childhood and his father's criminal past, and Boyd Crowder dealing with the arrival of a charismatic Pentecostal preacher.

I caught up on this show a few months ago, looking forward to a new season!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #75
QuikSand
lolzcat

w00+
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #76
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Did this show ever find like...direction?

I dropped it awhile back, but if it's got some sense of like...what kinda show it wants to be I could pick it back up again.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #77
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Did this show ever find like...direction?

I dropped it awhile back, but if it's got some sense of like...what kinda show it wants to be I could pick it back up again.

How early along did you drop it?

The questions about the direction of the show ended about 4 or 5 episodes into the first season IIRC. There are still frequently "crimes of the week" to be solved, but there is a very, very heavily serialized element to the show. Seasons 2 and 3 each had major guest characters involved in a storyline that dominated that season in addition to Raylan vs Boyd.

I rate Justified behind Breaking Bad and Mad Men as far as best dramas on TV, ahead of anything else I can think of from the last 3-4 years (I don't get any pay channels so exclude Homeland, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, etc, from my judgement).

Last edited by Radii : 11-28-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #78
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
How early along did you drop it?

The questions about the direction of the show ended about 4 or 5 episodes into the first season IIRC. There are still frequently "crimes of the week" to be solved, but there is a very, very heavily serialized element to the show. Seasons 2 and 3 each had major guest characters involved in a storyline that dominated that season in addition to Raylan vs Boyd.

I rate Justified behind Breaking Bad and Mad Men as far as best dramas on TV, ahead of anything else I can think of from the last 3-4 years (I don't get any pay channels so exclude Homeland, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, etc, from my judgement).

I probably dropped it...5-6 episodes in I guess. Maybe right after it started to go in the serialized direction - wasn't sure if that was just a flirtation of theirs or what.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #79
BYU 14
Coordinator

I would give it another shot DT, it is definitely another in a long line of solid shows on FX. Not quite up there with The Shield, but still damn good.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #80
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cool. I'll put it on the list of things to catch up on. Always enjoyed Olyphant, so I ought to like it just fine.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #81
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think the second season of Justified belongs up there in discussion for all time greatest seasons of a show. Not top 10, but I'd probably place it somewhere in the top 25.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #82
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I agree, definitely in the discussion
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #83
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I think the second season of Justified belongs up there in discussion for all time greatest seasons of a show. Not top 10, but I'd probably place it somewhere in the top 25.

Easily top 25. The only reason it might not be top 10 is because I might just have to put 4 seasons of the Wire and 4 seasons of Breaking Bad at the top. I do think I'd rate it as better than most seasons of the Sopranos and... well its so hard to compare Mad Men to other shows, but probably better than most seasons of Mad Men, and those are my go to top 4 shows of all time. I think Justified Season 2 could stand up to anything else on any other show that I've ever seen. And Mags Bennett may be my second favorite villain of all time behind Gus Fring on Breaking Bad.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #84
Bad-example
College Starter

Anyone else really enjoy the season 4 debut?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #85
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I thought it was just kinda okay. Of course I bought and watched the first three seasons over the holidays so maybe there was a little burnout.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #86
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
I thought it was just kinda okay.

+1

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 01-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #87
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I loved it. I am feeling a bit tired of Boyd; great character but he's becoming a bit repetitive. still love the show though
Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #88
BYU 14
Coordinator

I liked it too, they have really got the formula dialed in now of running one offs through the seasons main plotline.

Alway a lot of little tidbits of dark comedy which I like as well, such as..

"I meant untie him, not shoot him"
Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #89
Radii
Head Coach

Loved tonight's episode. Walton Goggins is simply amazing, I'll take all the screen time I can get from him, and the first interaction between him and the new preacher was quite enjoyable. I also love Jere Burns (Wynn Duffy) and was quite happy to see him tonight.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #90
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Loved tonight's episode. Walton Goggins is simply amazing, I'll take all the screen time I can get from him, and the first interaction between him and the new preacher was quite enjoyable. I also love Jere Burns (Wynn Duffy) and was quite happy to see him tonight.

Agreed, definitely set up some interesting possibilities tonight. Coggins and Burns are both very solid in their roles, love the way Duffy is so passive / aggressive.

Cool cameo by Donald Cerrone in that backyard fight too.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #91
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I liked it too, they have really got the formula dialed in now of running one offs through the seasons main plotline.

Alway a lot of little tidbits of dark comedy which I like as well, such as..

"I meant untie him, not shoot him"

I though that part was hilarious
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #92
Radii
Head Coach

absolutely spectacular episode tonight. Gerald McRaney will be back a lot more hopefully.

I'm really interested in all of the storylines they have going now, I wonder if they have enough going on that there won't be a crime of the week to solve for awhile.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #93
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
absolutely spectacular episode tonight. Gerald McRaney will be back a lot more hopefully.

I'm really interested in all of the storylines they have going now, I wonder if they have enough going on that there won't be a crime of the week to solve for awhile.

As someone who lives in Clover Hill, VA, I'm delighted a place by that name has made it into Justified. That and the return of the General from Chuck as the leader of the Hill People.

Also, having Raylon tell Colt "You're gonna need a saw" just before he found the foot and tracker had me laughing even before he said "My goodness" when he spotted the foot.

Constable Bob was terrific in his small way. I though he had Ella May before she turned up with the Sheriff. That will end badly, I'm certain.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #94
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Constable Bob was terrific in his small way. I though he had Ella May before she turned up with the Sheriff.

I thought so too. I expected her to drop into Raylan's lap (figuratively, I swear) by the end of the episode after Constable Bob bragged about the awesome police work he was doing in a conversation with Raylan.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #95
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Question on the last episode
Spoiler

Also, Tim continues to kill it with his one line per episode. As much as I love Raylan, Boyd, Wynn Duffy et al, I'd love to get more Tim/Rachel/Art.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-22-2013 at 09:04 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #96
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Question on the last episode
Spoiler

Also, Tim continues to kill it with his one line per episode. As much as I love Raylan, Boyd, Wynn Duffy et al, I'd love to get more Tim/Rachel/Art.

Spoiler
Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #97
Bad-example
College Starter

My guess is the poker player girl either enters law enforcement or becomes a criminal.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:18 AM   #98
Radii
Head Coach

A few spoilers here after tonight's episode:

Spoiler

What a great episode.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #99
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
A few spoilers here after tonight's episode:

Spoiler

What a great episode.

Agree with all of that, solid episode! And in regards to #1, me too, didn't think anything could do that tough SOB in.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-27-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #100
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Anybody watching The Americans on FX? Really great show so far.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote