Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #51
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The home game makes it fundamentally unequal, it's not broadcast at night and it's in a TV market that will ensure it gets little to no pub unless they game was electrifying. If they'd gone neutral site, that'd be better. But to do it in Boise? No way. Let the Broncos go to a BCS game and let Ball State go to the International Bowl and try for an undefeated year.

I see your point about being behind the 8-ball with it being a home game for Boise but I just see it as an opportunity for Ball State.

When Hawaii played in the Sugar Bowl last year, I am sure they were outnumbered to the place where it was almost a home game for Georgia.

Let me ask you this...what would be better for Ball State's national perception...beating Boise State in Boise...or beating some 7-5 Big East team?

The Broncos are most likely not going to a BCS game because of Utah.

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #52
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Obviously beating Boise State would be better for their perception, but I'm sure they are playing with the odd's here.

And beating a 7-5 Big East team to go undefeated for the season is a big enough satisfaction for Ball State.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #53
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Obviously beating Boise State would be better for their perception, but I'm sure they are playing with the odd's here.

And beating a 7-5 Big East team to go undefeated for the season is a big enough satisfaction for Ball State.

I understand your point and DC's point. But it is when the Non-BCS schools say that "no one will play them" or "they don't get their chance to prove how good they are"...well here is their chance. If they are fine with where they are perceived, so be it.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #54
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea. I have never gotten that vibe from Ball State though. At least not like Hawaii last season.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #55
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

The headliners right now are QB Richard Brehaut (#11 QB), OT Stan Hasiak (#17 OT), DE Devon Kennard (#5 DE) and MLB Todd Golper (#5 MLB).

Did I miss something? Is Kennard a silent to UCLA or something? Or did I just fall off the face of the planet...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Did I miss something? Is Kennard a silent to UCLA or something? Or did I just fall off the face of the planet...

I missed that the first time reading through. From what I've read as recently as earlier this week, everything points to Kennard going to USC, Texas, or ASU with Cal having a slight outside chance.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #57
bhlloy
Coordinator

I've read the same through ESPN and Scout. I guess CR has heard something on BRO... either way I'm very interested.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #58
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I can understand it used to be a tradition, nearly 20 years ago, and probably a great tradition. The rule is very outdated and doesn't need to be in place. That doesn't mean it should be broken or changed this very week because, by golly, Pete wants it.

Unless Pete just stumbled upon the rule or tradition this past week, I still have to resort to "Rules are rules".

Again, I don't like the rule. I despise the rule, but I don't like it when people take matters into their own hands, either.

Babblefish.com translates this as: "Ardent hates Batman." Weird.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #59
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You were able to translate what Poli said? Amazing.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #60
miked
College Starter

Go RU, defense looks crappy, but that's the game.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #61
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Yeah. And JiMG's translated roughly to: "HA ain't here to spew profanity and personal attacks, so I'm stepping in."

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #62
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Go RU, defense looks crappy, but that's the game.

Hopefully RU knocks UL out, so ND doesn't steal any of our bowl money.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #63
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Yeah. And JiMG's translated roughly to: "HA ain't here to spew profanity and personal attacks, so I'm stepping in."

The only reason you see this post is because I saw you were the last to post, so I opened the thread.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #64
General Mike
Pro Starter

Ball State wouldn't be able to stop Rutgers' offense
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #65
General Mike
Pro Starter

Get the forks out, this one is over.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

I said nothing that could have possibly been any more offensive than I found the unwarranted personal attack on another member that I was responding to.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 PM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Sorry, I typed in the wrong top DE. You probably could have figured that out if you noticed the Scout ranking was the #5 DE, not the #1.

I meant Keenan Graham (still an awesome get).

As far as I know, we're still on Kennard's list, but we are rather distantly behind the schools he is seriously considering.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-04-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #68
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #69
miked
College Starter

After going to last year's game in Louisville, I hope RU doesn't stop until they hit 100. UL sucks.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #70
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
After going to last year's game in Louisville, I hope RU doesn't stop until they hit 100. UL sucks.

What an ass-raping that was.

Rutgers deserves to be in the Sun Bowl, but my gut is we get shipped to Detroit for a rematch with Ball State.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #71
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Rutgers deserves to be in the Sun Bowl, but my gut is we get shipped to Detroit for a rematch with Ball State.

I keep reading how they love PIT because they have a Sun Bowl history. Load of crap...they played once or twice in the Sun Bowl. PIT hasn't been good for a while and we destroyed them this year. I think Teal completed like 10 passes for 350 yards or some shit against them. Best we can do it hope UConn stuns PIT and WVU takes it in the ass from USF. Even then, we'll get snubbed and end up playing Buffalo or UL-Lafayette or some bozo.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even then, we'll get snubbed and end up playing Buffalo or UL-Lafayette or some bozo.

You're 7-5, exactly how much should you be expecting?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #73
Logan
Head Coach

Outside of their sudden sweating of Notre Dame's nuts, the Sun Bowl has really been about taking the best team, and to them it means the highest ranked team. Pitt would fit...for now.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #74
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The 2nd Big East tie-in to match the 2nd place Big East finish.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #75
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Well, not that much. However, considering we were 1-5 and rattled off 6 straight wins, including monster wins over USF and PIT (putting up 50+ each time) and our losses to CIN and WVU were by 3 and 7, I'd hope to get the second place Big East game. I'd like for RU to have a bowl shot against an ACC or SEC team. We finished 2nd (depending on the WVU game, but no worse than 3rd) and it would be cool if we got a better game than PIT. They're schedule includes a loss to Bowling Green and slim victories over Iowa, Buffalo, and Notre Dame.

Of course, we fucking lost to Navy.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 2nd Big East tie-in to match the 2nd place Big East finish.

I don't think there any connection to standing, just bowl picking order.
From the conference website
In addition to the Bowl Championship Series, the BIG EAST Conference also has agreements with a number of other postseason bowl games.

The BIG EAST and Big 12 Conferences — along with Notre Dame — forged a bowl partnership beginning in 2006. This agreement assures both BCS Conferences’ and Notre Dame’s participation in the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl and Brut Sun Bowl over a four-year period. The Konica Minolta Gator Bowl or Brut Sun Bowl will pick a BIG EAST team after the league’s representative to the Bowl Championship Series has been determined. The Atlantic Coast Conference will provide the opposition in the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl and the Pac-10 Conference will participate in the Brut Sun Bowl.

The Gator Bowl has the first selection at the conclusion of each season. During the four years of the deal, the BIG EAST (or Notre Dame) will send a team to both the Gator Bowl and the Sun Bowl twice.

The Meineke Car Care Bowl is now in its sixth year with the BIG EAST Conference. The Meineke Car Care Bowl, which is played in Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C., picks after the Toyota Gator Bowl or Brut Sun Bowl.

The BIG EAST aligned itself with two additional bowls beginning in the 2006 season. The International Bowl, played at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, pairs the BIG EAST representative against an opponent from the Mid-America Conference, while the PapaJohns.com Bowl in Birmingham, Ala., matches the BIG EAST selection against a school from the Southeastern Conference.

The 2008 season sees the addition of a new bowl to the BIG EAST landscape as the conference partnered with Conference USA to provide the matchup for the St. Petersburg Bowl at Tropicana Field.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #77
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like Mike Leach is going to be the new Auburn coach.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #78
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
In another strange quirk, Colt McCoy was named AP Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, but was named second team All Big-12 QB. Go figure.

ESPN - AP Voters: Colt McCoy is Big 12's offensive player of the year, second team all-conference
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-05-2008 at 12:37 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #79
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Doesn't surprise me since they can't pick the right team to send to the Championship even though they played each other
Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #80
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Doesn't surprise me since they can't pick the right team to send to the Championship even though they played each other

Actually, these are the AP voters, the same ones we expect to be smart enough to help decide the national champion...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #81
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Actually, these are the AP voters, the same ones we expect to be smart enough to help decide the national champion...

They aren't in the BCS equation, and only teams like USC care about the AP when they don't get their way.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #82
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's putting it mildly.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #83
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think there any connection to standing, just bowl picking order.

Unfortunately Jon, I'm all too familiar with the bowl selection rules. WVU getting the Sun Bowl bid would absolutely be understandable considering they're one of the best traveling programs in the country. But I would consider the Sun Bowl taking Pitt, a team that has done a shitty job getting fans to bowls in recent years where they've made it, over us a "snub" considering how we destroyed them in their stadium and are definitely playing better football than them right now.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #84
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

A Texas Tech - Florida national championship game would have been fun to watch. Such a pity.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #85
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw that Sooners QB Bradford will have surgery on his non-throwing hand on Sunday morning after the B12 championship. He's planning to wear a cast on it for the game on Saturday.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #86
henry296
College Starter

One thing about the Sun Bowl is that they are not reliant on the team's fans to sell out the game. Therefore, they are less concerned about Pitt from the perspective and aren't as interested in WVU as Charlotte which needs team fans to sell out
Old 12-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #87
Buccaneer
Head Coach

All this talk about a football game in El Paso is absurd.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #88
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
One thing about the Sun Bowl is that they are not reliant on the team's fans to sell out the game. Therefore, they are less concerned about Pitt from the perspective and aren't as interested in WVU as Charlotte which needs team fans to sell out

The Meineke is going to take UNC, which takes away the need for a traveling crowd, which is why they would be okay with taking Pitt. It also hurts Rutgers since they've played already this year and bowl committees try to avoid rematches (although I'd argue this is definitely not the same Rutgers team).

You're right about the Sun not needing visiting fans to sell out the game, but I guess I can't conceptually grasp why El Paso would rather have an extra 20,000 locals spending money on tickets when those extra seats could be in the hands of more traveling fans who also would be spending money at hotels and bars/restaurants.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #89
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
All this talk about a football game in El Paso is absurd.

We get it man, it's not a top-tier game so you don't care.

Some of us do.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #90
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
We get it man, it's not a top-tier game so you don't care.

Some of us do.

That's not it. I don't care where Rutgers go, it's that I can think of 32 other bowl locations (ok, 31, not counting Detroit) that are better than El Paso.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #91
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
That's not it. I don't care where Rutgers go, it's that I can think of 32 other bowl locations (ok, 31, not counting Detroit) that are better than El Paso.

But can you see Mexico from any other stadiums?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #92
timmynausea
College Starter

Actually based on what I've seen on the boards, most WVU fans would prefer to just go to Charlotte for the Car Care Bowl. Playing a Pac 10 team would be cool, but short of the BCS game (and maybe the Gator Bowl though we've been there a lot in the past few years) I think most WVU fans would just prefer the shorter trip to NC.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #93
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're right about the Sun not needing visiting fans to sell out the game, but I guess I can't conceptually grasp why El Paso would rather have an extra 20,000 locals spending money on tickets when those extra seats could be in the hands of more traveling fans who also would be spending money at hotels and bars/restaurants.

I suspect you'll see quite a few bowls trying to work out deals for closer teams or even home teams where possible as the economy seems likely to at least cut into the number of fans willing to travel cross country for bowls this year.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #94
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wow, Ball State is getting killed on long fumble returns. The first one was a 99 yard return, after a review denied them a TD an put the ball inside the 1 yard line. Now, they just had a bad snap, and the defender scooped it up and took it back 70 yards. They are now down 28-17 to Buffalo.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #95
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

It looks like Ball State's mirage is coming to an end. 35-17, Buffalo in the 4th quarter.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #96
sooner333
College Starter

Humanitarian Bowl probably pretty glad Ball State declined.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #97
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
It looks like Ball State's mirage is coming to an end. 35-17, Buffalo in the 4th quarter.

I wouldn't necessarily call two long fumble returns a mirage. How often does one happen in a game, much less two?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #98
Galaxy
Coordinator

Go UB!
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #99
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Those schools with vacancies better be taking a long, hard look at Turner Gill. Very impressed.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #100
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Those schools with vacancies better be taking a long, hard look at Turner Gill. Very impressed.

Was a finalist for the Nebraska job last year. I hope he stays around at least one more season.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote