Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should I have my son circumcised?
Cut 'em good! 54 75.00%
No, you barbarian! 18 25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2003, 09:23 AM   #51
KWhit
Coordinator

I just read a few more articles. This time they seem a bit less biased and list some possible benefits to the procedure:

"Studies about the benefits of circumcision have provided conflicting results. Some studies show certain benefits, while other studies do not. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says the benefits of circumcision are not significant enough to recommend circumcision as a routine procedure and that circumcision is not medically necessary. The American Academy of Family Physicians believes parents should discuss with their son's doctor the potential benefits and the risks involved when making their decision.

A recent AAP report stated that circumcision does offer some benefit in preventing urinary tract infections in infants. Circumcision also offers some benefit in preventing penile cancer in adult men. However, this disease is very rare in all men, whether or not they have been circumcised. Circumcision may reduce the risk of sexually transmitted diseases. A man's sexual practices (e.g., if he uses condoms, if he has more than one partner, etc.) has more to do with STD prevention than whether or not he is circumcised.

Study results are mixed about whether circumcision may help reduce the risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners, and whether it helps prevent certain problems with the penis, such as infections and unwanted swelling. Some studies show that keeping the penis clean can help prevent these problems just as well as circumcision. Infections and unwanted swelling are not serious and can usually be easily treated if they do occur."

However, it occurs to me: Would you cut off your baby's ears to keep him from having ear infections? GD, when you asked this question, I was pretty much on the fence about the issue. In fact, I probably was leaning toward circumcising my son if I have one. But after doing some reading, I am definitely leaning the other direction. I haven't found enough thoroughly unbiased opinions on the subject yet to make up my mind about the issue, but I will certainly give it a ton of thought if I ever need to.

Another note: Take what your doctor says with a grain of salt and get other opinions and information. According to some of what I have read, many dr.'s (especially on the east coast of the US where circumcision is more prevalent than anywhere else in the WORLD), see circumcision as simply part of the routine - simply because that's what they've always done. Things are changing regarding views on this issue and if you have an older doctor your views may differ from him. Do your own research!

Last edited by KWhit : 06-12-2003 at 09:24 AM.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:01 AM   #52
cuervo72
Head Coach

Um, KWhit.....I don't think most of us circumcised guys have any problem with finding gratification
Old 06-12-2003, 10:05 AM   #53
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Um, KWhit.....I don't think most of us circumcised guys have any problem with finding gratification

I'm cut myself, but how do you know what you might be missing?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:10 PM   #54
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Many sites compare circumcision to the process of female genital mutilation (surgically removing the clitoris) that is done in some African countries to decrease female pleasure and curtail masturbation. I don't know if this is a valid comparison or not.

I am sure you know this, KWhit, but for those who do not... The process known as "female circumcision" is illegal here in the US.

Most of the data I have seen says the chance of these so-called infections that circumcision prevents change by only half a percentage point at the most. So, these things are still extremely rare in any of the tests conducted. It seems odd that cutting off a part of the body for the possibility of an extremely insignificant health change is a worthwhile thing to do. You'd eliminate far more health risks by sealing the ears, nose, and mouth when it comes to preventing infections.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #55
Samdari
Roster Filler

I'd like to point out one obvious difference between male and female circumcision:

Male circumcision in no way curtails masturbation. I'd give data, but don't want to shock you all.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:26 PM   #56
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

There is a record that indicates a major push behind male circumcision to reduce masturbation. Whether it worked or not, it *was* a motivation. I don't think that can reasonably be disputed at this point.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:35 PM   #57
Samdari
Roster Filler

Wow, I had never heard that.

It never occured to me not to masturbate because I was circumcised.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:42 PM   #58
MIJB#19
Coordinator

It's normal in the USA?
I thought it was just part of Jewish religion...

And you think cultural differences are so small...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 05:46 PM   #59
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by MIJB#19
It's normal in the USA?
I thought it was just part of Jewish religion...

And you think cultural differences are so small...

Yeah, the perception in the US is that you are doing something wrong if you don't have it done (at least society in general presents that point of view).