Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2003, 02:03 PM   #51
DolaBump
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
And with the 4th pick in the 1990 Draft the [Name to be decided] choose LDE K.C. Brackens of Oregon St.

My thoughts exactly (fingers crossed he's still there)

DolaBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:06 PM   #52
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
And with the 4th pick in the 1990 Draft the [Name to be decided] choose LDE K.C. Brackens of Oregon St.

I would be very worried about picking him, if we do decide to get him we will not be able to change him to RDE, since he is only 248...that might not be that bad of a thing though.

Personally I would not mind seeing RJ Little John in a [Name to be decided] uniform
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #53
wade moore
lolzcat

Meh, i wish i could have FOF4 at work ..

Someone push for an offensive guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:17 PM   #54
Bee
Pro Starter

What does the WR group in the draft look like? That seems to be one of our biggest need positions.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #55
DolaBump
Mascot

Two studs:

RJ Littlejohn: 47/85
Kelvin Chance: 54/83

After that, Kenny McAlister stands out: 40/68
and then there's a dropoff
Old 02-10-2003, 02:24 PM   #56
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
What does the WR group in the draft look like? That seems to be one of our biggest need positions.

The 2 top WRs are both STUDS, across the boards 90's. After that it is quite a drop off to the next set of guys. There are quite a few WRs who would make good late 2nd, early 3rd round picks. Overall its a pretty good group of guys, but the first 2 are really great.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #57
wade moore
lolzcat

What does the dropoff for D-Line look like? I'm generally inclined to have a run oriented offense, but if we could get a stud receiver I could style my offense a little differently..

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-10-2003, 02:37 PM   #58
TredWel
High School Varsity

Just downloaded the new files, and am looking through it right now.

One observation, before we forget. Could you turn off the Coach resets depth chart/game plan and the Scout hire options under global options? Wouldn't want to get to the end of the draft with those on.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #59
DolaBump
Mascot

DE:
KC Brackens: 43/84 8.1
Jermaine Kennicott: 21/71 6.3
Darrell Warren: 20/66 5.8
Earnest James: 20/64 5.6

Brackens is obviously a stud, though only 6-6 248

DT:
Karl Sinard: 40/79 7.6
Adam BArrett: 33/76 7.3
Robbie Avalos: 23/73 6.5
Kent Campbell: 20/65 5.7
Gabe Blow: 17/62 5.5
Terrell Blackledge: 25/58 5.2
Courtney Perez: 23/55 7.8
Old 02-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #60
Bee
Pro Starter

What about free agent WR's? Does it look like we could address the receivers in free agency and the hope we get the stud DE at #4?

If we go WR in round 1, what do you guys think about the possibility of one of the big 2 being available if we were to trade down? Where would be a reasonable place to still expect to get 1 of the 2 stud receivers (pick 8, pick 10, etc?). Is McAlister worth an early 2nd rounder?

Without seeing what's available, I'd be a little concerned the DE will go before #4, since they are highly valued.

Now the interesting discussions start happening.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #61
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by wade moore
What does the dropoff for D-Line look like? I'm generally inclined to have a run oriented offense, but if we could get a stud receiver I could style my offense a little differently..

Jermaine Kennicott is the #2 DE in the draft. Not quite as good as Brackens, but pretty good in his own right. After that there are a couple solid looking players but they are the top guys.

There are also some solid looking DT's in the draft. I of course would prefer we go with a Dlineman with our first pick since the draft doesn't feature a marquee QB or RB, but if we decide to go with one of the WR's I think there will be a solid guy at the Dline position for our next pick.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 02:44 PM   #62
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
What about free agent WR's? Does it look like we could address the receivers in free agency and the hope we get the stud DE at #4?

If we go WR in round 1, what do you guys think about the possibility of one of the big 2 being available if we were to trade down? Where would be a reasonable place to still expect to get 1 of the 2 stud receivers (pick 8, pick 10, etc?). Is McAlister worth an early 2nd rounder?

Without seeing what's available, I'd be a little concerned the DE will go before #4, since they are highly valued.

Now the interesting discussions start happening.

Where do I honestly see the top 2 WRs going? If we trade down probably both will go in the top 5. I would be very suprised if the DE lasted to # 4.

Edit: The # 4 DE Ernest James looks like he would be a solid pick early in the 2nd round, but will he last that long.

The # 1 player in the draft the ILB is a very very good player and might be around at # 4, but the problem with him is his 2 biggest weeknesses are pass coverage.

The WRs in FA- there seem to be a few very good guys, and then a bunch of decent ones, but as always they are all asking for a lot of money, we might be able to find a few young ones with potential who arn't asking for very much.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 02-10-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:51 PM   #63
Bee
Pro Starter

Maybe the scouts should make a top 10 draft board to give us an idea of where we could expect some of the top players to go? That might be a big help in deciding what to do in free agency and evaluating trading down in the draft.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #64
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug5984
The # 1 player in the draft the ILB is a very very good player and might be around at # 4, but the problem with him is his 2 biggest weeknesses are pass coverage.

Yea as impressive as his red and green bars are. I don't think he is ideal for our system. It wouldn't be bad to have him. But if it were between him and one of the WR's I think we would be better suited to use that pick on a WR.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 03:06 PM   #65
DolaBump
Mascot

Just to get us started, here's a quick view of what I see as the 10 best guys in the draft:

KC Brackens DE 43/84 8.1
RJ Littlejohn WR 47/85 8.3
Kelvin Chance WR 54/83 8.3
Roy Pearson ILB 44/86 8.4
Winston Shulz CB 32/81 7.6
Karl Sinard DT 40/79 7.6
Jorge Blades T 29/78 7.3
Adam Barrett DT 33/76 7.3
Jerald Hadley OLB 40/75 7.3
Norm Hughes ILB 34/78 7.4

If Brackens doesn't go #1, I'll be shocked. Denver's got the pick and they've got one big time DE already, with two mediocre guys filling out the RDE spot. They're weak at WR, but I don't see any team passing up Brackens.

Last edited by DolaBump : 02-10-2003 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:14 PM   #66
Bee
Pro Starter

What's the best QB look like Dola? Sometimes a team will reach for a QB early even if they stink.

Brackens looks like a consensus #1 to me.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:17 PM   #67
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

The # 1 QB is Ernest Dillion, 21/71, 6.4, I would see him as a mid-late first round pick...but some team may pick him earlier.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #68
DolaBump
Mascot

QBs are thin, though the best is cleary
Ernest Dillon: 21/71 6.4
Old 02-10-2003, 03:29 PM   #69
Bee
Pro Starter

The tackle Blades may go high because of the weak draft class. Tackles are always at a premium and someone may grab him early.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #70
Bee
Pro Starter

As far as the QB, you never know. I've seen some wild reaches for QB's that made absolutely no sense to me (In game and IRL) .
Old 02-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #71
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

What are the rules on trading down in the draft?
My thinking is this:
We trade the # 4 pick in the draft and possibly a late round pick for:
ILB Edwin Hill- New Orleans, & their # 20 pick...?

I know we have a rule if we try to trade a player we can only make 1 offer, but what about a draft pick?
Old 02-10-2003, 03:59 PM   #72
DolaBump
Mascot

Well, the way that I believe it's set up right now is that we can only trade away our draft picks during the draft, possibly only for other draft picks (I could be wrong here, I think Bee had the final version)
Old 02-10-2003, 04:15 PM   #73
primelord
Pro Rookie

Keep in mind also given our house rules if we traded for a guy like Hill (who is perfect for our defense) we would have to change him from WILB to either MLB or SLB/WLB. I would assume it won't make much of a difference, but it could have some affect on his abilities.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #74
FBPro
College Starter

Do both the original file and the updates go in the "universe" folder?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 04:54 PM   #75
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FBPro
Do both the original file and the updates go in the "universe" folder?

yes
Old 02-10-2003, 04:57 PM   #76
FBPro
College Starter

thanks
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:33 PM   #77
QuikSand
lolzcat

Since we're talking rookies here (fine by me) - I have a guy I like for a later-round pick.

QB Marty Causey, Syracuse

The first thing you notice is that he has two conspicuous "voids" - areas where his otherwise normal ratings have been arbitrarily adjusted to zero. Short passes and sense rush. Tough break.

However, he does have a pretty good set of skills - including legitimately strong potential in 3rd down passing, avoid interceptions, timing, and two-minute offense. For these reasons (and more) I like this guy - I think he could develop into a starter-quality guy, probably the second best QB in this draft.

I also think we could get him with a mid-round pick, maybe 4th or 5th if we're lucky. At that point, I'd seriously consider taking him, particularly with our QB situation not looking too hot.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #78
Booj
High School JV

As D-Line coach, I certainly like the options... Brackens would be amazing if he were to drop, but I also like Karl Sinard, DT. He is a 3 down DT, whose Green bars are making him look like a good run defender and a great pass rusher.

Of course, this is quite a biased opinion
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #79
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

SO have we decided on a location yet? I gotta start making my signs about the team.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #80
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Since we're talking rookies here (fine by me) - I have a guy I like for a later-round pick.

QB Marty Causey, Syracuse

The first thing you notice is that he has two conspicuous "voids" - areas where his otherwise normal ratings have been arbitrarily adjusted to zero. Short passes and sense rush. Tough break.

However, he does have a pretty good set of skills - including legitimately strong potential in 3rd down passing, avoid interceptions, timing, and two-minute offense. For these reasons (and more) I like this guy - I think he could develop into a starter-quality guy, probably the second best QB in this draft.

I also think we could get him with a mid-round pick, maybe 4th or 5th if we're lucky. At that point, I'd seriously consider taking him, particularly with our QB situation not looking too hot.

He definitely has the looks of a potential breakout QB. If he's available at the 4th round, I think it would be a mistake to pass on him.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:50 PM   #81
Bee
Pro Starter

Speaking of interesting players in the draft. Check out RBs Ty Peters with the 0 for avoid fumbles.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #82
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'd like to have some discussion about the team location and name. I have no desire, personally, to play in Houston. We have to be able to do better than that.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-10-2003, 06:23 PM   #83
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

For the team names I think it would be a cool idea if we got team names that correlated with helmets from http://www.bigcronk.com/helmetdepot/depot.html
that way when discussing trades and game reports and the such we could post pictures in the thread...give it a little flavor...just an idea.

Edit: I have always liked the name Cyclones for a team, maybe since we are located in Texas we can have something similar...and also can someone tell me if this picture shows up?

Last edited by Doug5984 : 02-10-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:38 PM   #84
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

Though he is not in the same league as Roy Pearson, Russel Von hagel gives you a solid MLB at a great price. I would prefer to spend the money on one of the two WR or a top rated CB like Sgt Schultz.
strait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:39 PM   #85
Bee
Pro Starter

nice helmet.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:07 PM   #86
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

As the team's head hooligan I would like to point out my top 5 team names (with a helmet to go along with) (The xxxx is the team's loaction):

xxxx Shock

xxxx Tsunami

xxxx Arowheads

xxxx Raptors

xxxx Ghouls

These are my favorite helmets and names to go along with them. Feel free to add critique! My favorites of those are Shock, Tsunami, and Raptors. I like Tsunami is we are on the wes coast. If we aren't then Arrowheads replaces them.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:09 PM   #87
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Dola

My top 5 choices for the team's location are:

In no particular order:

Chicago
San Jose
Los Angeles
Miami
Las Vegas
Old 02-11-2003, 03:31 AM   #88
wade moore
lolzcat

Las Vegas shock? Hmmm...

We definately seem to be straying around on priorities some here.. I know that who we look at in FA has a lot to do with who we draft, so both need to be talked about. However, it seems that we need to really solidify who we are going for in FA (maybe i need to check the FA/Current player threads, going there in a minute). It sounds like the DE's may go before our pick. If they did, then I think we definately need to go with a stud WR. Otherwise, I think taking a DE in the first round is generally a wise choice...

Quote:
Old 02-11-2003, 06:26 AM   #89
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well... since there hasn't been a major push toward any particular location or team name, I'm going to interpret that as a little bit of flexibility. I'm in the midst of changing team locations and names... the next file release will have a new name for our own team, and we can go from there.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:32 AM   #90
wade moore
lolzcat

Sounds good -- other teams also, or just ours?

Quote:
Old 02-11-2003, 07:49 AM   #91
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm hoping it's all the teams.