Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2005, 11:03 PM   #51
Travis
Pro Rookie

On a tech note, when you buy writing, it also opens up Water Clock which would give your workers an additional +1 food and +1 gold (to bump them up to 5 at that point).

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:57 PM   #52
hukarez
College Starter

Good grief. Sounds like you guys are all well advanced in the game already. I've finally researched Mysticism, and would probably end up waiting half a week to get that damn chapel up and running.

I've just been sending out support points to various people in the Guild, using them all up and what not. It's going to take me awhile, I think. Haven't bothered hiring any more soldiers, even though I seem to be stockpiling quite a bit of food. Think I should train 3-4 more soldiers to accompany my lone 1 soldier?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:04 AM   #53
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Good grief. Sounds like you guys are all well advanced in the game already. I've finally researched Mysticism, and would probably end up waiting half a week to get that damn chapel up and running.

I've just been sending out support points to various people in the Guild, using them all up and what not. It's going to take me awhile, I think. Haven't bothered hiring any more soldiers, even though I seem to be stockpiling quite a bit of food. Think I should train 3-4 more soldiers to accompany my lone 1 soldier?

Yeah, I didn't realize early enough that it's smarter to stay in that 40-50 point range so that you can pretty much feed off the low end for a longer period of time. So now I'm trying to get as much researched as fast as possible so that I'm not a sitting duck for these guys with massive armies. There seem to be quite a few technologies that help out your defense, so I'm hoping that bails me out.

As far as your army goes, if you're not ever carrying a huge amount of gold, it doesn't hurt you to only have one soldier, but that will affect how good your attacks are. If you're making enough money, might not be a bad idea to just make soldiers for when you're attacking, then revert them back to workers while you're stockpiling some resources. Just be ready to lose some gold if people attack you as your defensive rating won't be overly high with just one soldier.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:58 AM   #54
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Here are the choices as they came up to me as I made the upgrades:

Upgrade: Crop Rotation;
Choices: Trade, Watchtower, Horse Shoes

Upgrade: Horse Shoes;
Choices: Trade, Watchtower, Water Mill, Saddles and Stirrups

Upgrade: Trade;
Choices: Watchtower, Writing, Water mill, Saddles and Stirrups

Upgrade: Writing;
Choices: Watchtower, Water Mill, Saddles and Stirrups

Upgrade: Saddles and Stirrups;
Choices: Watchtower, Water Mill, Espionage

Upgrade: Water Mill;
Choices: Watchtower, Water Clock, Mysticism, Espionage

I owe HersheySquirt and naslund19 support points. They'll be on their way tomorrow. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by daedalus : 03-21-2005 at 03:00 AM.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:59 AM   #55
KevinNU7
College Starter

I've taken the stradegy of large work forces for teh time being. I convert some for the attacks I do in the morning and then covert them back when I log out for teh day.

I now have over 4k in food, wow

Hopefully some crazy thing comes along that needs alot of food or I can get a technolgiy that allows me to sell them.

Last edited by KevinNU7 : 03-21-2005 at 08:59 AM.
KevinNU7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #56
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Yeah, I didn't realize early enough that it's smarter to stay in that 40-50 point range so that you can pretty much feed off the low end for a longer period of time. So now I'm trying to get as much researched as fast as possible so that I'm not a sitting duck for these guys with massive armies. There seem to be quite a few technologies that help out your defense, so I'm hoping that bails me out.

As far as your army goes, if you're not ever carrying a huge amount of gold, it doesn't hurt you to only have one soldier, but that will affect how good your attacks are. If you're making enough money, might not be a bad idea to just make soldiers for when you're attacking, then revert them back to workers while you're stockpiling some resources. Just be ready to lose some gold if people attack you as your defensive rating won't be overly high with just one soldier.

Well, considering that I now need to stockpile 2k worth of gold for research, I think I might as well go ahead and grab a few soldiers worth. These soldiers don't subtract from your workers, correct? If that's the case, I think I can hire a few more soldiers I suppose...

All my stuff has been production related so far. Might pick up that Diplomacy thing to increase my support points to 6, though, I'm thinking of just saving to 7k to get that wooden chapel built up..
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #57
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, considering that I now need to stockpile 2k worth of gold for research, I think I might as well go ahead and grab a few soldiers worth. These soldiers don't subtract from your workers, correct? If that's the case, I think I can hire a few more soldiers I suppose...

All my stuff has been production related so far. Might pick up that Diplomacy thing to increase my support points to 6, though, I'm thinking of just saving to 7k to get that wooden chapel built up..

Creating soldiers converts them from workers to soldiers. When you are figuring the effects on your food production, remember to subtract the production of the worker you are losing as well as the consumption of the soldier. I screwed that up the first time I did a major military build.

The only way to save up 7k for a chapel is to get yourself to 100 attack points and steal that much in one attack run, or to stick money into trade goods through the trade technology. Trade goods act like a bank.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 AM   #58
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Creating soldiers converts them from workers to soldiers. When you are figuring the effects on your food production, remember to subtract the production of the worker you are losing as well as the consumption of the soldier. I screwed that up the first time I did a major military build.

The only way to save up 7k for a chapel is to get yourself to 100 attack points and steal that much in one attack run, or to stick money into trade goods through the trade technology. Trade goods act like a bank.
Ahh, good info. I didn't want to splurge on soldiers at the risk of the few workers that I've got, so I'll keep that in mind. As for trade goods...I probably should research Trade so I can actually stockpile without risk of getting raped with a vengeance.

EDIT: Ack! Got attacked by el_nene from the La-Plata guild. No soldiers lost, but he managed to rob me of 457 gold. Sonuva!
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 03-21-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #59
Travis
Pro Rookie

Looks like the tech tree isn't necessarily based on a set order of buying one tech to get to another, or that some techs aren't unlocked until you buy 2 or more required techs, as it seems we're coming across technologies in different orders.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #60
KevinNU7
College Starter

Correct, I haven't gotten to those techs yet. I just pruchased the ability to build fenches, which I think is interesting.

Last edited by KevinNU7 : 03-21-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #61
Travis
Pro Rookie

Fences are great, until last night I hadn't been successfully attacked after I had built my fences (and had faced guys that had 83 units and over 400 points). Then I lost 2 knights in a battle early this AM, so I want Chain Mail now to double up my D (and so I can strike back).
Old 03-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #62
SunDevil
College Prospect

Travis,

How are you affording all these techs? I will not be able to buy another tech (right now at 2,000 gold) for a while. Between people attacking me if I get close to 1300, do you just save up attack points? And I currently do not have knights, fences or chain mail for techs. Thanks for any tips.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #63
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ahh, good info. I didn't want to splurge on soldiers at the risk of the few workers that I've got, so I'll keep that in mind. As for trade goods...I probably should research Trade so I can actually stockpile without risk of getting raped with a vengeance.

EDIT: Ack! Got attacked by el_nene from the La-Plata guild. No soldiers lost, but he managed to rob me of 457 gold. Sonuva!

I didn't research Trade until just recently. I think that should probably be recommemded as an early tech to research. The cheapest goods can be bought for around 2.5k, so I would suggest researching Trade before the cost of the technology goes above 2.5k.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #64
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I didn't research Trade until just recently. I think that should probably be recommemded as an early tech to research. The cheapest goods can be bought for around 2.5k, so I would suggest researching Trade before the cost of the technology goes above 2.5k.
I guess I'm a bit too late in that aspect. Up to 3k for each upgrade right now -- decided to grab the Watchtower to help defend my village from being plundered, which worked for the first 2 attacks that happened to me. Of course, I think I lost 2 soldiers, however. At least, no gold taken since then.

EDIT: Right now, I have 3 technologies I can research: Trade, Saddle and Stirrupts, and Diplomacy all at 3K a piece. I was thinking of Diplomacy, so I can send off more support points to folks (need to remember to send marcy2 a support point when it resets for me), but if Trade's pretty important, I might just go for that instead...
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 03-21-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #65
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Travis,

How are you affording all these techs? I will not be able to buy another tech (right now at 2,000 gold) for a while. Between people attacking me if I get close to 1300, do you just save up attack points? And I currently do not have knights, fences or chain mail for techs. Thanks for any tips.
Here's what I do. I login in the morning and use all my accrued attack points to raise enough money to buy a technology. Then I do not attack again until the next day, when I have accrued another 48 or so attacks. I repeat this process for a few days. Fortunetly I was getting to the point where with 8 turns I could steal about $1k in gold each time so now I can typically get 2 technologies a day. Now the price for me is up to $8k a technology so I am back to 1 a day.

I bought the trade tech when it first came up but I have yet to use it. I'm sure without it I would not be getting some other stuff so I am not too concerned.

Here is my Tech Tree right now:

What I have, in the order it was purchased
Farming
Crop Rotation
Trade
Watchtower
Horse Shoes
Writing
Chain Mail
Saddle and Stirrups
Fence

Technoligies currently waiting to be bought
Water Mill
Espionage
Siege Defense Strategy

I'm not all that excited about my 3 technologies right now. I think I am leaning towards the Water Mill, but as I have discussed in this thread before I do not have a production issue right now with food so this will provide little benefit. I have a feeling adding the Water Mill will however unlock something much cooler.

Last edited by KevinNU7 : 03-21-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #66
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Mysticism
What's Mysticism?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #67
Travis
Pro Rookie

The best investments to make (imho) is trade and espionage.

Use espionage to attack people that only have 0 or 1 army unit protecting their gold, and (especially with 0) you'll either get 1/3 of their gold, or nearly all of it by using 1 attack turn. Basically I save up enough turns so that if I average 500 gold per attack turn, I can afford what I want with 5 turns left over (in case of a string of bad luck).

So worst case situation is that you steal 2,500 gold or so at a time and buy a cloth units, wait and do that again until you have enough to buy your tech (I'm up to 16,000 for my next tech now).

Once your worker size is up higher, then you'll wait to have all of those upgrades as well (I'm at +4, just got an available tech that would make it +5). After that I'd look at watchtower/fences/knights (not sure how effective the attacking is with just soldiers, I had knights by the time I started doing that). As long as you don't have over 80 points, not many people will be attacking you to up their military experience, and if you keep under 800 gold on hand, you won't get attacked for that either, so you should fly under the radar.

Oh, best thing I've found for attacking is to use Firefox, click each person I want to attack into a new tab, then just attack them all within a span of 30 seconds or so instead of attacking one guy, then looking for a new target, attacking, searching, attacking, etc. This way you make your money fast, know what you're spending it on, and have a surplus of gold in your hands for a very minimal amount of time.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #68
Travis
Pro Rookie

Mysticism allows you to have a birth rate (1 worker per day in addition to your log in worker and any workers that you get through support points).

As far as what you might unlock Kevin, if it's close to what I've figured out, looks like you could get Ballista (Espionage), Water Clock and/or Mysticism (Water Mill) or Theology (Seige Defense).

My suggestion would be to get Espionage as it's a great help in deciding who to attack, and is probably the most useful for where you're at, and your options the other way lean more towards birth rate techs (Mysticism and Theology) though Seige Defense is nice because you can manually decide whether or not to defend your gold after an attacker kills one of your troops (instead of them automatically not defending for an hour against that attacker after he makes a kill).
Old 03-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #69
Whar
Mascot

If you are looking to preserve units you can also reduce your defenders to one unit. The game will not allow your last defender to be eliminated. While it can cost money to start your campaigns it can be useful if you keep lossing a guy or two a day to the higher level enemies.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:53 PM   #70
KevinNU7
College Starter

IMO Seige Defense is a bit of a waste. If I have success against someone I will typically attack them right away. Seige Defense only lowers the threshold to 15 minutes which doesn't seem low enough.

Thanks for the insight on what I might get. Want to tell me what Water Clock and Theology are?

I really want Mysticism so I will probably buy the Water Mill next
Old 03-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #71
Travis
Pro Rookie

Water Clock is another worker bonus, and Theology is another birthrate increasing tech (though it costs $35,000 to build the actual place, and is an upgrade to the Mysticism building).

As for the seige defense, you can set it so that you have no break, just uncheck both boxes, and your defenders will always defend your gold.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #72
KevinNU7
College Starter

That makes the Seige Defense more desirable, thanks!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #73
Blade
College Prospect

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in this thread yet, though I have been playing for a while. I just want to echo Travis' statement about Trade and Espionage. Being able to find people with 0 defenders is a godsend...just use 1 turn attacks, and when you get enough gold, put it into trade so you can protect your money. This is key when your technologies become very expensive...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:35 PM   #74
hukarez
College Starter

I've never noticed this before, but at the top of my screen it'll say: "Next Human Validation: X minutes". What exactly is that? I swear today's the first time I've ever seen such a thing.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-22-2005, 12:11 AM   #75
Travis
Pro Rookie

That's as long as you can be in the game without having to log in again. Just noticed that tonight myself.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:13 AM   #76
hukarez
College Starter

Ahh, sweet.

Apparently, I'm going to have a rough time getting gold to invest in Trading -- some guy from another guild just swiped 1500 from me the other night. Ugh. This is going to take some time -- or I'm going to have to start succeeding even more so than the pitiful 150-300 gains I get from picking on fresh meat.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #77
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody have any thoughts about the strategy of hoarding money and hoping to be attacked? Early in the game I had a number of people attack me and I got experience for killing their soldiers. I don't think I've yet lost any soldiers to attack. Is this a decent way to raise experience, or would I eventually lose more than I'd gain?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:19 AM   #78
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

What I'm doing is simply archiving attack turns until I've enough to ensure that I can purchase some trading stuff, then I go mad attacking indisciminately (normally 1-2 turn attacks against anyone with 1 or less army and 1k+ gold) ...

Once I'm worries I won't get enough Gold from attacking to archive off on trading I stop my attacks and sit back and wait for more attack rounds to build up.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #79
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Anybody have any thoughts about the strategy of hoarding money and hoping to be attacked? Early in the game I had a number of people attack me and I got experience for killing their soldiers. I don't think I've yet lost any soldiers to attack. Is this a decent way to raise experience, or would I eventually lose more than I'd gain?
Sounds a reasonable premise - however at the moment I'm avoiding this simply because I want to get as high in the tech tree as possible as quickly as possible and that means gaining gold from attacks (for which you need soldiers).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #80
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Sounds a reasonable premise - however at the moment I'm avoiding this simply because I want to get as high in the tech tree as possible as quickly as possible and that means gaining gold from attacks (for which you need soldiers).

I was going to follow the same tech-grab plan, but I now need $6000 to research espionage. Since I always have to attack with 8 turns, it will take a little bit to save up that much money.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #81
Whar
Mascot

"The not so ethical way to get Espionage"

The states you can have up to 2 extra accounts. (See their FAQ). Using a hotmail account set up a new player. Using the 80 attacks you get to start go get espoinage very early. Then using two windows you can check the troop levels with your second account and attack with your first.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #82
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whar
"The not so ethical way to get Espionage"

The states you can have up to 2 extra accounts. (See their FAQ). Using a hotmail account set up a new player. Using the 80 attacks you get to start go get espoinage very early. Then using two windows you can check the troop levels with your second account and attack with your first.

That is crazy. You are right about getting up to 3 accounts, and that really surprises me. Why doesn't everybody create a total of 3 accounts and just feed Support Points to their main account? I think I may have to do this.

I just got hit twice since I am holding a little bit too much money. I took out 2 attacking units, and gained 4 experience points.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #83
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
That is crazy. You are right about getting up to 3 accounts, and that really surprises me. Why doesn't everybody create a total of 3 accounts and just feed Support Points to their main account? I think I may have to do this.
I think most people do. I'm going to avoid it for now but I was tempted for sure.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #84
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
I think most people do. I'm going to avoid it for now but I was tempted for sure.

Lost to temptation, eh?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #85
KevinNU7
College Starter

Yep, after that post I realized I could form a pretty good system.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #86
SunDevil
College Prospect

Yea, I got a little to greedy and was actually feeding four accounts support points into my main. I read the FAQ yesterday and saw that Human Checking message and decided that I should delete all my accounts and start over, which I did. I know have a total of 3 accounts which is allowed.

Besides now I know what techs to get first.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:34 PM   #87
Travis
Pro Rookie

On the idea of letting people to attack you to get experience. You only get military experience for killing units (whether attacking or defending) against people that have the same or higher point level than yourself. The game is geared to give the defender an advantage (as your defensive values are higher for each unit than their offensive power). That said, your points equal your technologies researched multiplied by your military experience, so you have to decide whether you want to stay lower in points to give yourself easier victims for your gold attacks, or to rise faster (through military experience) and have a harder time attacking for gold, while then being targetted by stronger enemies (same point level, but larger army size).

If I could start over (considering doing this with one of my backup accounts), you are not allowed to be attacked unit you have attacked somebody else. So if you are really patient and have all workers (aside from one soldier), you could just leave that account go, buy the farming technologies as you come across them, and just build gold up that can't be stolen until you finally initiate an attack. I don't know if there is a time frame limit on this, but I tried attacking people that had 80 or so points and couldn't because of this loophole. I should have written down their names so I could keep tabs on them, but didn't think of it at the time.

Another idea or two to ponder anyways.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #88
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
That's as long as you can be in the game without having to log in again. Just noticed that tonight myself.

Before you log into the game, you can click on the News menu item and see what upgrades have been made to the game...that was just implemented yesterday...

Old 03-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #89
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
If I could start over (considering doing this with one of my backup accounts), you are not allowed to be attacked unit you have attacked somebody else. So if you are really patient and have all workers (aside from one soldier), you could just leave that account go, buy the farming technologies as you come across them, and just build gold up that can't be stolen until you finally initiate an attack. I don't know if there is a time frame limit on this, but I tried attacking people that had 80 or so points and couldn't because of this loophole. I should have written down their names so I could keep tabs on them, but didn't think of it at the time.
I'm trying this with my two other accounts, I'll let you know if some sort of grace period ends and they get attacked eventually.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #90
Whar
Mascot

I assume there must be a grace period since how did the first guy attack anyone? I imagine you can be attacked following the first tech purchase or a period of time elapses.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #91
KevinNU7
College Starter

FYI - in my other two accounts I decided to pick all the worker production increases first. I now have 4 of the 5 and now Mysticism has come up! Can get the technology for only $1k, not bad.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #92
Travis
Pro Rookie

Congrats guys, we just cracked the top 100 guilds in the game (currently at #97). A few of us are starting to get close to cracking the top 1,000 in individual rankings too, keep it up!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #93
hukarez
College Starter

Woohoo! Being part of a Guild cracking the Top 100.

Too bad I can't save up funds to buy 'Trades' since I keep getting pillaged! Even with 10 soldiers on defense. Bastards!

Still, I'll send out support points to help y'all out. I figure I'll stockpile what I can, and try to save up more Attack Turns. Hopefully...*hopefully* I'll be able to succeed in attacks later on with 10 spear wielding dudes.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 AM   #94
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Woohoo! Being part of a Guild cracking the Top 100.

Too bad I can't save up funds to buy 'Trades' since I keep getting pillaged! Even with 10 soldiers on defense. Bastards!

Still, I'll send out support points to help y'all out. I figure I'll stockpile what I can, and try to save up more Attack Turns. Hopefully...*hopefully* I'll be able to succeed in attacks later on with 10 spear wielding dudes.
I can't emphasise this enough. You need to let your attac turns build up so that you can get all the needed funds for a Tech purchase in a matter of minutes.

If you collect $2k and then need to wait a couple of hours to collect some more money to by a Tech that money will get taken away.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:58 AM   #95
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I can't emphasise this enough. You need to let your attac turns build up so that you can get all the needed funds for a Tech purchase in a matter of minutes.

If you collect $2k and then need to wait a couple of hours to collect some more money to by a Tech that money will get taken away.

I don't think I've even gotten to $2k by workers. Heck, the moment I break into the $900 range, I get attacked by it. Of course, nothing I can do while I sleep.

My attack turns were initially 120ish or so, which I used on the lesser folks to build up some funds. Unfortunately, I had a bad run at attacks with some folks with lesser units, and ended up getting nothing. I did lose 2 soldiers, however.

I think I need some more workers to convert to soldiers in time. I figure, a bum rush would help me out, and I'll use one of the tactics listed earlier in the page to do so. What's your average attack power, if you don't mind me asking?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #96
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
I don't think I've even gotten to $2k by workers. Heck, the moment I break into the $900 range, I get attacked by it. Of course, nothing I can do while I sleep.

My attack turns were initially 120ish or so, which I used on the lesser folks to build up some funds. Unfortunately, I had a bad run at attacks with some folks with lesser units, and ended up getting nothing. I did lose 2 soldiers, however.

I think I need some more workers to convert to soldiers in time. I figure, a bum rush would help me out, and I'll use one of the tactics listed earlier in the page to do so. What's your average attack power, if you don't mind me asking?

Trade is huge...if you can save up enough turns to attack outright and get trade, you can then stockpile your money in goods that are protected from any attacks...

Old 03-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #97
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
reread what I wrote. I am not telling you to use farmers to get $2k. I am telling you to save up your attack turns until you have enough to attack over and over again to get to $2k. If you only have $2k in the bank for a minute chances are you won't get attack. Get it?

What is your team name?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:25 PM   #98
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
reread what I wrote. I am not telling you to use farmers to get $2k. I am telling you to save up your attack turns until you have enough to attack over and over again to get to $2k. If you only have $2k in the bank for a minute chances are you won't get attack. Get it?

What is your team name?
I see what you're saying, and I've been stockpiling my attack turns (up to 50 something, I think). That's exactly what I've been trying to do (attempted to do so my first run around by picking on people on page 800 or so), but my attacks weren't exactly successful. Usually I ended up getting 0 gold, out of a possible 300-500 or so from a lesser point player, and/or losing a soldier in the process.

I know I need 3k to get Trades to act as my bank, which I've been trying to do this far, though having already used my 120 or so attack turns down to 0, I figure I'd save my attack turns to get to that stage where I can unleash 8 turn attacks or so.

I know I won't be able to stockpile $2k by workers alone, due to folks robbing me -- that's not a problem. My question is, the attack power of your forces for successful attacks. What attack power is a good number to get a viable success here and there? I'd rather not stockpile 100+ attack turns, only to find out some of my 8 turn attacks will fail, and could possibly result in the loss of some soldiers -- probably more so to just luck or what not, and I'd like to get a reasonable number down before I re-attempt to do so.

Right now, I have 10 soldiers on hand, and 4 workers. Presently, I think I'm around $900 on hand, but of course, I can't do anything with it since I don't have trades yet. I managed to defend successfully on occasion, and on others, lost some gold and a couple of soldiers. Naturally, this'll keep on happening until I get Trades, and like you said and have mentioned before, the only way I can really reach my goal is by a non-stop attack.

So again, what's the average attack power that you guys have when conducting raids on other folks? Is there a certain number of soldiers you'd suggest? I spent all day on Monday going through 120 attack turns attacking people I see over $1000 worth on hand. Granted, they were of lesser points (I'm sure I'll get more money's worth if I go for someone in my point area), but I had figured it'd still be some kind of moderate success. Sadly, it wasn't the case, and I think out of 80 of those turns, I had failed miserably.

I figure, if I couldn't do it to lesser folks, then I probably wouldn't stand a chance attacking other folks of supposedly equal power. I had went for folks with 6 units or so (what I can tell from the list) -- just failing in my attacks is a bit disconcerting for me.

Oh, and I'm on the Colossal Might team, under RendeR.

EDIT: Presently, I have 4 workers, 10 soldiers. Would 10 soldiers be a reasonable number for me to attack other folks with? Or should I convert the remaining 4 into soldiers as well, and launch my attacks this way? I'm not planning on attacking yet -- not until I crack into the 100s on attack turns, but I figure accumulating workers or something for soldiers would undoubtedly increase my chances of success. Oh! I'm at 81 attack turns right now too. Not too far away from 100!
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 03-23-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #99
Blade
College Prospect

I would say that 10 soldiers is not a bad number to attack with...the key is finding people who do not have a lot of units and looking for some luck. If you are only concerned about money, I would only attack using 1 turn, as you should only use more turns if you are looking for kills. I would agree that a good strategy is to use Firefox if you have it, open up your targets on seperate tabs, and attack them all in a short span, so you can spend your money quickly and make yourself less of a target while you are stockpiling...

Old 03-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #100
Whar
Mascot

The 1 shot attacks are wonderful once you have espionage, however prior to that they can be extremely hit or miss. Hopefully your victory point score is not terribly high yet. If it is not scan the 10 pointers for those with 6 units. That generally means a person that logged in once but never again. These people usually have a 1 soldier 5 worker setup. Your 10 warriors will easily overwhlem them.

Generally you should recieve about 300 gold for an 8 turn attack on a 10 pointer with ~1300 gold. I would get espoinage before trade if you can. Once you have that tech it is easy to scan the lists for people with 0 soldiers. Generally in such a situation you get 1/2 to all the gold that person possess's for a single attack turn. Often I get 400+ gold per (1) attack. At that point trade becomes required since after 10 to 12 attacks you have 3K in gold.

I do not believe there is any difference from 8 1 shot attacks or 1 8 turn attack except how often you click the attack button. Therefore I would stick to multi-turn attacks until espoinage.