Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2003, 11:38 PM   #51
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The following conversation was held after the Cardinals opening week loss to the Detroit Lions, 17-13.

Abe Sargent: Coach, have a seat. I though we had discussed starting Jamie Martin, not Danny Wuerffel. Jamie outplayed Danny in the preseason and in camp as well.

Dave McGinnis: We had, but my gut said go with Danny.

Abe: My gut says go with Jamie. And I'm the owner. Jamie will start next week and he will continue to do so throughout the year unless something happens to cause us to reevaluate the situation, understood?

Dave: Yessir.

Abe: I would have liked to win my first game, but it was close. I have a feeling that not too many more are going to be.

Dave: This team has a lot of fire.

Abe: Are you positive on everybody?

Dave: Why go through life being so negative? All it gets you is wrinkles.

Abe: But you have a lot of wrinkles.

Dave: Those aren't wrinkles, they're love lines.

Abe: I don't even want to know..... Anyways, I am coaching the team next week, taking her out fo a spin. Any suggestions?

Dave: Buckle your seat belt.

Abe: Thanks Dave. Have a good one.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:45 PM   #52
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Hey Dad, how ya doin'? We hosted the Seahawks in our home opening debut this week."

"Yep, like I said. I coached the team this week."

"Well, we lost. Pretty badly. The Seahawks scored 52, we scored 10. It was close in the second quarter when we were down 17-10 but then they broke the game open. They returned two fumbles for touchdowns and returned two punts for TDs as well. Nothing we can do when we spot the opposing team 28 points."

"Yeah, Qadry Ismail, one of my two starting receivers had over 150 yards receiving. That was probably our highlight of the day."

"On yeah, WR Scottie Montgomery has a broken ankle. He's supposed to be out for 8 weeks. He was deep on our depth chart, though. Not much of an impact on us."

"No, I don't think I'll pick up anybody else for now."

"Huh?"

"It's called Injured Reserve, but it doesn't work the way you think it does. We lose the player for the season if we toss them on IR."

"No, I'm not going to touch concession prices, parking fees, and so forth. I lowered ticket prices a bit before hte season began. I'll take a look at the stuff later, when I have time."

"Nope, not much left."

"Alright, have a good one."

"Bye-bye"

Old 09-01-2003, 11:55 PM   #53
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

To: [email protected]
Re: Week 3's Victory

Coach MicGinnis really proved himself this past week with our victory over the Packers in Green Bay. We stole that game, the Packers were looking past us to next week.

Never have the numbers 38-24 held such meaning for me.

Injuries to the team are minor. Coach McGinnis has won himself another start or two, then we'll take another look at the situation and make some decisions.

However, I intend to coach the next game to get my feet wet.

-Abe Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-01-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:01 AM   #54
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals Suffer Major Week 4 Loss

Stephen Hernandez
Sports Editor
Arizona Sun

The 1-3 Cardinals were devastated in St. Louis yesterday. The Rams piled a season high 66 points against the Cardinals while the team in red managed only 10 points.

This loss is the most lopsided in the first four weeks of the season. The Cardinals play was weak all day. Gary Anderson missed a 47 yard FG, Jamie Martin tossed two picks, and the offense fumbled twice.

Meanwhile, the defense couldn't stop the Rams. St. Louis only punted twice in the game, scoring on almost every possession.

And there is no real highlight for the Cardinals at this point. However, you've got to hope that the team will gel together quickly soon.

It's not like Arizona fans went into this season with high hopes, and we have won a game already. But you have to hope for more than what was showed yesterday. You just have to hope.

Coach Dave McGinnis is supposed to call the game next week. We'll see how he does.

Old 09-02-2003, 12:17 AM   #55
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Post-Game Press Conference, Week 5, from Sun Devil Stadium

Abe Sargent: Well folks, we are sitting at 2-3 after five games and we are alreaady doing better than most pundits thought. Our shutout today of the Dallas Cowboys has got to show something important about football.

Fred Sanders, Arizona Weekly: Abe, you defeated an 0-5 Cowboys today, what does that say about Arizona?

Abe: It says that we are better than Dallas. We also beat the Packers in Green Bay, both quality wins.

Sam Somerville, Arizona Sun: Who is calling the game next week?

Abe: I'm on the rotation for next week, of course.

Astra Horvaling, ESPN Correspondant: Are you concerned that both of your loses were blowouts while McGinnis is 2-1 with the squad?

Abe: I don't believe that we have a sufficently large sample size to start drawing conclusions, Astra.

Jamar Jenkins, Freelance Sportswriter: Do you have any intention to place Scottie Montgomery on IR or to sign another receiver.

Abe: No plans at this time. Scottie should be back in 6 weeks or so. If that estimate changes, then I will, of course, reassess the situation.

Shalonda Harlest, Sports Illustrated: Both of your wins were on the road. What does that tell you?

Abe: It tells me nothing more and nothing less than two of the four away games we've played have been victories. We've only played one home game so far, and I think that's a bit too small a number to start drawing assumptions from.

Harvey Weistein, Channel 4 Sports: What does the tendancy for Jamie Martin to throw picks in away games coached by yourself say?

Abe: Okay folks, let's get one basic thing straight. Sabermetrics has no place in football. I'm trained in stats folks, so listen to this. You cannot draw statistically valid conclusions from only 16 games. In Baseball, you play enough games that observable patterns emerge. Not so in football. Everything here is an anomaly.

Ever wonder why football seems rife with so many one-year wonders? Basketball and baseball have so many less, after all. It's because you can easily hit a hot spot for a majority of a 16 game season. It's much harder to sustain a streak for 80, 100, 120 games.

And sitting after the fifth game of the season, you can't even make small assumptions, conclusions or extrapolations. It's just five games, folks. Just five games.

I have to go, you guys have fun now....

Old 09-02-2003, 01:34 AM   #56
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wuerffel..........

Wuerffel..........

Wuerffel..........

And the chant has begun.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:34 AM   #57
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Conversation with the dog:

"Hy buddy. We hosted the Ravens in week 6.

Deion Sanders picks off their first possession. ISmail drops a 3rd and 8 that would have been 10 yards for a first down and Anderson misses a 49 yarder.

Deion picks off another Ravens balls and returns it 40 yards to the 12. First down Ismail drops a 9 yard curl. Second down Emmitt drops a 3 yard hitch when he was wide open. Third and ten and ball is tipped and intercepted by Peter Boulware who runs it back for a TD (how come Deion gets tackled but not Boulware?)

7-0 Ravens when it should be 10-0 Cardinals if not for dropped passes by my receivers.

3rd and 15 on our next possession after a sack and a run for nothing and I roll right under pressure from the Ravens defense. Jamie Martin fires a pass to Antonio - complete! 31 yards!

Two runs by Smith and we're in FG range! Then Martin is sacked after a run is brought down behind the line bringing up another 3rd and 15 on the 34. Martin overthrows Ismail for a 18 yard completion that may have gotten knocked down by a D-Back anyways.

To FG or not to FG? Obviously, we punt. I suck at kicking FGs.

Touchback. End of first Quarter, 7-0 Ravens.

CB Blitz hits the Ravens QB and forces him to throw away on third down. We get the ball back.

Ismail catches a crucial 3rd down completion on a rollout after pressure came up the middle.

On the next play, I make a bad read and toss the ball to what appeared to be an open Damon Jones in the endzone only to have the safety grab the ball and pick it off. The saftety was next to a receiver ina crossing route, so I thought he was man'd up, not in zone. I read the defense wrong and suffered for it.

Score is still 7-0.

We force the Ravens to punt after their second consecutive three and out.

I run it up the middle with Centers on a 3rd and 1. Freeman drops a 10 yard pass completion on a curl route the next play. Then Damon Jones (my #2 TE) nabs a streak up the middle for 17 yards and gives us 1st down at the 2.

1st and goal from the 2 should be a TD every time. Emmitt up the gut, good blocking, TD!!!!

7-7.

The Ravens answer with a 13 play drive and their first offensive score of the game to go up 14-7 with 1:26 left in the half.

We get a 1st down and call TO after Smith plunges it up the middle on 3rd and 2 after also cathing the first down pass for 8 yards and out of bounds.

Two incompletetions bring up 3rd and 10. I have Pete Mitchell wide open three yards short of the 1st but easy to run after the catch but Martin overthrows Mitchell.

Baltimore break a good run for 20 yards or so then play pass ball until they get in FG range at the half. Stover kicks a 47 FG as time expires.

Half time, 17-7 Baltimore.

We hold Baltimore who punts with a Touchback. Centers drops a 3rd and 4 pass for 5 yards and we go three and out.

Jamal Lewis breaks a 66 yard run for a TD on the first play. Ravens 24-7.

We kick an Anderson FG after 3 first downs to cut the score to 24-10 in the middle of the third quarter.

But that's the last score of the game. Emmitt fumbles. So does the Ravens. They miss a FG.

Game ends 24-10."

Old 09-02-2003, 02:43 AM   #58
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Interview with Quarterbacks Weekly, 1090 AM

Dave Attel: And we welcome owner of the Cardinals Abe Sargent via phone. Welcome to the program.

Abe Sargent: Thanks Dave, nice to be on the show.

Dave: So tell us about the loss to the Ravens last week. Martin threw two picks. Do you bench him?

Abe: Jamie is 2-3 with a brand new team. Danny Wuerffel is 0-1 with a new team. Martin was sharp last week. He threw one pick. But he was rolling around the pocket, making good reads, it was pretty good.

Dave: He had a really low completion percentage.

Abe: Because so many of his teammates dropped passes. He overthrew Pete Mitchell and Qadry Ismail on two third downs. That was not good. But Freeman, Ismail, Jones, Smith and Centers all dropped crucial Martin passes. He was finding open receivers, they just weren't making plays.

Dave: So what do you think the solution is?

Abe: Players. We need better players. Right now, we lack guys who can make the curcial catch, and what does Jamie look for when they don't?

Dave: Jamie Martin does spread the ball out pretty well.

Abe: Sure does. Emmitt Smith, Larry Centers and Delvin Joyce all caught balls from the backfield. Damon Jones and Pete Mitchell both caught passes as tight ends. Antonio Freeman, Qadry Ismail and Mac Cody all caught balls out of receiver positions. Considering our team and its lack of quality depth, that's pretty good I think.

Dave: How long does Martin start?

Abe: As long as he plays games, doesn't get injured, an ddoesn't play so stupidly that no one would want to start him.

Dave: That's a pretty faithul answer. You have a lot of faith in Jamie.

Abe: I have more faith in Jamie than in Danny or Jim to get things done. In coachspeak, "Jamie is the player that's most likely to help us win ballgames right now."

Dave: That's very clever. Thanks a bunch for joining us from your office, I know you must be very busy.

Abe: Anytime

Old 09-02-2003, 02:48 AM   #59
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals Cannot Fly

Steven Hernandez
Sports Editor
Arizona Sun

New Cardinals owner Abe Sargent must be depressed with the way that the Cardinals played Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers.

The Cardinals lost 28-10 after Coach McGinnis made a poor call in the fourth quarter going for it on 4th and 8 while down by eleven with 7:12 on the clock. The 49ers stopped the Cardinals and scored on the ensuing drive.

The controversy did not stop there as center Bubba Miller was injured on a special teams play after an illegal blobk in the back, which apperently, the officials did not see.

Bubba Miller has been placed on injured reserve for the season.

Apparently the team did not improve after its bye week last week.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:13 AM   #60
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Various posts from a Fan's Chatroom:

"We host the 2-5 Bengals. Good luck to us.

"Bengals start with the ball on their own 28. Their first play from scrimmage is a 19 yard run up off tackle with Dillon. After a lot more running and just one pass play, they score a TD on a Dillon 5 yard sweep right."

"Curtis looks ill"

"7-0 and we haven't even gotten the ball yet. Might be a long day. "

"Martin tosses a pick on the first passing down, 2nd and 12. He lost the LB in the defense and tossed the ball right to him. Ick."

"Bengals score a second rushing TD to go up 14-0 with 3:24 left in the first."

"He's going, going, going...."

"On the kickoff, Delvin Joyce runs it back to the Bengals' 26. Excellent starting field position for our offense."

"I'd call a run here"

"Smith gets a yard."

"Martin is sacked for a loss of 7, and we are facing 3rd and 16."

"Pass to Freeman but he is double covered. Ismail is in tight man coverage but it's forced into his hands. The D-Back knocks him hard and he can't hold on. Another crucial 3rd down drop that would have been a conversion."

"Anderson tries the FG for 50 yards. And Anderson just makes it!!!"

"14-3 Bengals."

"The Bengals ensuing drive to start the second quarter is ended when Deion picks off Kitna after Kitna was hit as he threw."

"Our chance for momentum is here. But we'll need some first downs."

"Four consecutive runs brings up 2nd and 8 from the 19. I run a pass pattern out of the Singleback Big. Martin sees TE Pete Mitchell in one-on-one with a LB and launches it over the LB into Mitchell's hands. He stumbles across the goalline. TOUCHDOWN!!!!"

"14-10."

"Then we force the Bengals to go three and out! Momentum baby!"

"After a first down, Martin gears back and tosses a simple pass to Ismail on a 7 yard curl. Ismail is hit, the ball is popped up into the air, and the defense comes down with it."

"The Bengals ruin our momentum."

"On a crucial 3rd and 6, Sanders allows himself to be caught way out of position and Warrick catches the ball and runs it to the 1 where Sanders tackles him."

"A run later the Bengals score. 21-10."

"We go three and out and punt after the Two Minute Warning blows for the half. "

"Bengals spread the field, Warrick breaks a Deion tackle and scores a TD. We have to start doubling Warrick."

"28-10 Bengals."

"In the second half, Freeman catches on fire grabbing three first down conversions on our way to a FG in the third quarter. 28-13 Bengals, with the only score in the quarter being our FG."

"Another heavy defensive quarter results in the final score being 28-16 Bengals."

"We are now at 2-6."

"Fun season though."

Old 09-04-2003, 11:58 PM   #61
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Radio Excerpt

...and the Arizona Cardinals lose again today, this time in Pittsburgh as the Steelers defeat the Cardinals 27-10. The Cardinals just can't seem to catch a break, and a team that was once 2-3 is now 2-7 and in a tailspin.

In other news...

Old 09-05-2003, 01:20 AM   #62
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Coach Dave McGinnis to his friends over a beer

"We play at the 6-3 Browns. Arizona begins with the ball. On third and 6 Martin scrambles for 5 second or so before hitting Freeman as he returns to the QB. Freeman is hit and fumbles the ball.

We challenge.

The call stands, and the Browns have the ball at my 30.

The Browns score a rushing TD 6 plays later after being helped by a 15 yard facemask penalty on the defense.

7-0 barely into the game.

On our first play of the second possession, Martin hits Larry Centers for a 9 yard completetion but he gets 16 yards after the catch and breaks two tackles doing it.

We start pounding it. Smith. Centers. Smith. Martin. Smith. Arizona sets up an ACE Streaks play out of the Singleback formation. We get single coverage on Pete Mitchell 20 yards downfield and Martin tosses it. The Cleveland back makes a good move and picks off the ball.

We force Cleveland to go three and out and start again. Smith. Dump to Smith. Centers. 1st Down. Smith. Incomplete. Ismail drops pass. Punt. Ball Bounces out at the 6.

Cleveland has 94 yards to go. We hold them to three and out again.

We also go three and out and punt back. End of first quarter.

After Cleveland gets a pair of conversions, our secondary strips the ball and recovers. We get the ball on our 38. But wait, the Browns challenge!!!

And they win. Browns run, run, run more, then pass for the TD as Deion Sanders gambles on a pick and misses.

14-0 Cleveland with 7:01 in the half.

We convert on 3rd and 12 with a pass over the middle to TE Damon Jones. 9 yard pass to Freeman on a Play Action, then a Smith run up the gut and we get conversion #2 for this drive.

Dump off to Smith when the rush is on but he runs it for 8 yards after the catch. Smith off tackle for conversion #3.

Incomplete pass as 3rd WR Cody drops the ball. We open our bag of tricks and run a HB toss - Emmitt Smith to Freeman. Pass is poor and defense breaks it up. 3rd and 10. We run a TE Streak off the Singleback formation and flip sides. Mitchell gets 1:1 coverage and Martin hits him for 12 yards and the 1st down Conversion #4.

Smith run off a 4 WR set. Centers drops a pass for the first. 3rd and 8. Ismail catches a 10 yard curl out of the Singleback Big Formation. Conversion #5.

Two Minute Warning.

Smith end run on weak side. Centers up middle. 3rd and 6 on the 9. Pro Form formation switched, pump and go. 3rd down halfback Delvin Joyce is unmarked. Martin hits him four yards downfield and he runs it in. Touchdown!!! 16 plays and 70 yards.

14-7 Browns with 0:38 to go in the half.

Kickoff is out of bounds. Three pass plays later Cleveland is in the endzone.

21-7 Browns. 0:16 left.

With three seconds left in the half, Martin launches up a deep ball with a prayer. Cleveland picks it off, returns it for 20 yards, then fumbles. Ismail recovers the fumble.

Cleveland gets the ball to start the second half. Sanders is beaten by Kevin Johnson on the second play from Scrimmage of the half and its a TD. 28-7 Browns.

After two conversions, we turn it over on downs when Martin's pass is off target while he scrambled away from the defense. Cleveland ball on the 37.

Cleveland moves the ball but ultimately punts.

We go three and out after a sack of 7 yards. Poor punt from the endzone gives the Browns the ball with good position. Browns score TD through air on first play of fourth quarter.

Deion was injured and left but short return shortly. Great.

We move down the field quickly but Martin tosses a pick which was really a good read to an open receiver but a defensive player made a tremedous flying leap to grab out of the air. Cleveland marches down field and look unstoppable. Until we stop them on the 1 yardline and they get a field goal.

38-7 Cleveland.

The game ends with Cleveland up 45-7."

Old 09-05-2003, 01:27 AM   #63
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Interviews locals gave to Channel 7 News

".....I mean, really, is losing to the Rams that much of a surprise? 34-13 here at Sun Devil. Heard Desmond is out for 3 weeks and Marcus Robinson is questionable. Yeah, they suck. Same ol' Cardinals. But there's a lot of hope for next year...."

"Ticket prices are down and we get to see some of the biggest names in football play. We may not win much, but its still enjoyable."

"I don't care who the owner is, these are the same Cardinals."

"Dave McGinnis is simply not the kind of coach that owner Abe Sargent needs."

"They should try and build for the future next year. We've always had next year wistfully, but now, we have greater reason to hope."

"I ain't ever gone to no Cardinals games, and I don't expect to do so now."

"We've torn off the bandage, so there's a little blood. But Abe Sargent wants to heal this team."

"Emmitt Smith is the man. So is Deion. We need more like 'em."

Old 09-05-2003, 01:35 AM   #64
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Phone Call in Abe Sargent's Office

"Coach McGinnis? Hello. I have some news for you. First of all, I have signed WR R. Jay Soward for our team to help us in the return game and receiving.

Why? Well, since Desmond Howard is out for a few weeks, and Scottie is questionable, I decided to sign some help for you. R. Jay is signed for the rest of the year, and that's it.

I don't think that we'll have any behavorial troubles with him. He knows that he needs to prove himself if he wants anyone to sign him for a larger contract.

Oh yeah, the bigger news. I am turning over the reigns for the remainder of the season to you to coach as you see fit. No interference.

Your welcome.

Good luck. And may God have mercy on your soul."

Old 09-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #65
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oh where for art thou Danny?
Old 09-05-2003, 01:42 AM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Poster on a dorm wall at Arizona State:

Cardinals Schedule.....

Week 13 at Bears L 15-14
Week 14 at 49ers L 34-16
Week 15 PANTHERS W 26-24
Week 16 at Seahawks L 56-6
Week 17 VIKINGS W 24-6

Old 09-05-2003, 01:49 AM   #67
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Playoffs:

Dolphins at Steelers 16-24
49ers at Vikings 17-27
Patriots at Bills 26-34
Packers at Giants 3-17

Bills at Raiders 7-50
Giants at Seahawks 17-31
Steelers at Jaguars 14-27
Vikings at Buccaneers 17-41

AFC Championship:

Jacksonville Jaguars at Oakland Raiders

NFC Championship:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Seattle Seahawks

Raiders over Jags 24-14

Seahawks over Bucs 34-7

Your Super Bowl Matchup:

AFC Champs Oakland

versus

NFC Champs Seattle

Raiders 19
Seattle 10

Oakland Raiders are your Super Bowl Champs.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:52 AM   #68
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Awards:

Pro Bowl NFC Fullback #2 Larry Centers.

That's it

Old 09-05-2003, 01:54 AM   #69
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals Balance Sheet:

Income:

Tickets - 22.4 mill
Concessions - 2.5 mill
Parking - 1.1 mill
Merchandise - 2.2 mill
NFL Shared Revenue - 62.2 mill

Total Income - 90.4 million

Expenses:

Player Salaries - 57.2 mill
Staff Salaries - 2.7 mill
Stadium Maintenance - 16.1 mill

Total Expenses - 76 mill

2003 Net Income - 14.4 million

Old 09-05-2003, 01:58 AM   #70
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Stats:

QB Jamie Martin tossed 23 picks and 12 TDs. And 2900 yards.

WR Freeman and Ismail both had over 1000 yards receiving.

DT Chester McGlockton with 8 sacks, DE Chidi Ahanotu with 7.

CB Deion with 5 picks, CB Lyght with 4.

Other stats are poor for the year with our holdover team. Next year, we care again.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:16 PM   #71
General Mike
Pro Starter

Are you going to import draft classes from NCAA?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 12:36 PM   #72
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by General Mike
Are you going to import draft classes from NCAA?

Nope.

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Oh where for art thou Danny?

Danny Wuerffel is not an answer. When you see Jamie's stats at the end of the season (almost 3k yards, 1:2 TD:Int ratio) you realize that Wuerffel is not a solution. Wuerffel has a lot of starting experience and he is almost at where Jamie currently is with Jamie only having like 3 or 4 games of strating experience prior to this year.

-Anxiety

Old 09-05-2003, 12:58 PM   #73
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Closing Press Conference, 2003 NFL Year, Sun Devil Stadium

Abe Sargent: Today's press conference is mainly a Q&A time for you guys, so I'll open up the floor for questions.

Shalonda Harlest, Sports Illustrated: What was your best memory this past year?

Abe: Buying a football team.

Shalonda: On the field?

Abe: Larry Centers going to the Pro Bowl.

Harvey Weistein, Channel 4 Sports: Why didn't you start other players as the season went along?

Abe: Why? For development? We have nobody to develop. We started our best players, including Jamie Martin. There was never any sense in benching anybody. Remember, regular football logic did not apply to this season.

Fred Sanders, Arizona Weekly: What did this season teach you?

Abe: A lot about running a ball club. I learned a lot of valuable skills that will be useful as we head into the post-season and beyond.

Jamar Jenkins, Freelance Sportswriter: A team with all new players went 4-12. What are your goals for next season?

Abe: Good question. We'll have a lot of turnover after this season. Remember that we will have a lot of dead cap room for next season. And you won't see much high profile action during the off season for us as a result. With a large young corps coming in and a lot of our current players leaving, this team will have just as much inexperience working together as a team. As such, 4 wins next year may also be reasonable.

Astra Horvaling, ESPN Correspondant: What are you looking for in the draft?

Abe: Way too early to tell, but our number one off-season goal is to acquire a franchise quarterback using whatever methods are available to us.

Astra: Any ideas who?

Abe: None. Maybe through trade, maybe free agency, maybe draft.

Sam Somerville, Arizona Sun: Will Emmitt Smith be the feature back nextyear despite only getting 539 yards rushing this year getting only 2.29 yards per carry?

Abe: Remember that Smith's stats were hampered by our lack of an offensive line. We may also acquire a major running back through some method or another. Other than maybe Larry Centers, no player on our roster is guaranteed to start next year. And most of our free agents will be allowed to leave with our thanks for a fun year.

Sandy Alderman, Channel 7 News: Will Coach McGinnis remain on the team?

Abe: Sandy, everybody is up for review.

Nesmit McCall, 1080 AM Sports Talk Radio: Do you intend to restructure the office any?

Abe: Not right now, but we may look at that in the future.

Elizabeth Satterly, Flagstaff Daily Mail: You've tried to sever ties with the old Cardinals by firing all of the players, letting Rod Graves go, changing the uniforms, and lowering ticket prices. Are you going to look at changing the logo or mascot as well?

Abe: I have yet to start doing research in that area yet, but it is a distinct possibility that the Cardinals will be no more, instead replaced by a better mascot and logo. If we keep the Cardinals mascot, we'll probably modernize the logo.

Sy Rosenberg, The Sporting News: What is the liklihood of the Cardinals leaving Arizona altogether?

Abe: No one wants to leave Arizona. We need to get a stadium deal done, that's true, and it's a bit contentious. But no one here wants to up and go.

Alright folks, that's it for today, have a good one!

Old 09-05-2003, 06:47 PM   #74
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
Danny Wuerffel is not an answer. When you see Jamie's stats at the end of the season (almost 3k yards, 1:2 TD:Int ratio) you realize that Wuerffel is not a solution. Wuerffel has a lot of starting experience and he is almost at where Jamie currently is with Jamie only having like 3 or 4 games of strating experience prior to this year.

-Anxiety

Heh, doesn't mean that the fans don't want to see Wiffle on the field, throwing the ball like only he can. I've always had a soft spot for the guy is all.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:47 PM   #75
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dave McGinnis Fired

Rod Sewell
Associated Press

In a move that surprised hardly nobody, Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Dave McGinnis was fired from his position. The Cardinals were purchased late last summer by Abe Sargent.

Dave McGinnis was in the last year of his contract, and would have been entering a lame duck year. In his three seasons with the Cardinals, Dave has coached records of 7-9, 5-11, an now 4-12.

It's highly common when an owner takes over that he put his own people in charge. Holdover coaches and general managers are often let go. Vice President of Football Operations Rod Graves resigned a little over a week after Abe purchased the team in late summer.

Abe Sargent has stated that his interview process will be very open, "I have no clue who to hire, so I'll want to intervew a lot of candidates."

Changing coaches is merely the most recent attempt by the new management to sever all ties to a woefull Cardinals history. In July, the owner fired all players except one, and brought in a brand new slate of players.

Old 09-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #76
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Press Conference from Sun Devils Stadium, 4:09 pm

Abe Sargent: I have interviewed eight candidates for the head coach position of the Cardinals and I am pleased to introduce our new Head Coach - Monte Kiffin!

I have here a signed contract for 3 years and 4.06 million for Monte, who has been one of the most well known assistant coaches for ages around the league.

Our next coach is Defensive Coordinator Pepper Johnson. Pepper has been the Linebacker Coach for the Patriots for the Belichick era. He will get his chance to shine for us here. We signed him for 630k annually for two years.

Our last coach is Offensive Coordinator Charlie Weis. Charlie joins us from several years as the Patriots Offensive Coordinator, and was the Offensive Coordinator for the Jets before that. He signed a 2 year, 800k annually contract with us.

You can ask questions of any of us.

Sy Rosenberg, The Sporting News: This question is for Monte. Why leave behind a Super Bowl winning organization for the uncertainty of the Cardinals?

Monte Kiffin: I'm 64 years old and I've never been a head coach in the NFL. Before I die, I'd like to know what kind of head coach I'd make.

Astra Horvaling, ESPN Correspondant: This is for Charlie. Charlie, the Patriots choose not to renew your contract after winning a Super Bowl with them. What was is about Arizona that brought you here, and why did the Patriots let you go?

Charlie Weis: The Patriots were looking to head in other directions. As for Arizona, I wanted to continue as an Offensive Coordinator, and Abe Sargent was willing to offer me the big chair. He wanted a keen offensive mind to go along with Monte.

Jamar Jenkins, Freelance Sportswriter: This question is for Pepper. You were ony a coach for three years. Two as linebacker coach and one as inside linebacker assisant coach. Now you've been announced as the Defensive Coordinator of the Cardinals. What do you think of the meteoric rise through the coaching ranks?

Pepper Johnson: I never thought that I'd be this far this fast, you know? I knew I could do it, but when Abe Sargent contacted me to ask for an interview, I didn't know what to think. I mean, there is this league-wide rule to interview minority candidates, so I was wondering if my candicacy was a token...

Abe: It wasn't. All of our defensive coordinator candidates happened to be black.

Pepper: Yeah, I saw that Abe was interested in me and my credentials, which got me really pumped. And here I am.

Jamar: And what now?

Pepper: Now I prove that the trust Abe placed in me was worth it.

Harvey Weistein, Channel 4 Sports: This question is for Abe Sargent. You have hired both of your coordinator positions from the Patriots. Was there any plan to raid a team?

Abe: There wasn't any plan, no. But the Patriots are known across the league as possibly the most well-coached team out there. As such, it's no stretch to hire their ex-Offensive Coordinator and promote one of their posiiton coaches.

Shalonda Harlest, Sports Illustrated: Also for Abe, you must have had a lot of coaches interested in this position because the coaching carosel seems to rehire a lot of head coaches every year, and you were looking for a new face. Why Monte?

Abe: That's true, the people we interviewed were very excitied. If being a Head Coach in the NFL is your dream job, then it must disappoint to realize that there are only 32 dream jobs available in the world. And when half of all coaching vacanies hire a previous head coach, you realize just how hard it is to break into the team. So we had a lot of good candidates interview.

I chose Monte Kiffin despite the age factor. Other owners shy away from head coaches that are older because they fear the head coach retiring. But if any coordinator in the league, anywhere, has the pedigree and resume of Monte Kiffin, well, then I don't know that person. Monte was simply our best choice, despite his age. In fact, I like him because of his age. He had more coaching experience than any other candidate.

Nesmit McCall, 1080 AM Sports Talk Radio: This is for Monte. What are your top priorities during the off-season?

Monte: I'll take the players that Abe gets for us and coach 'em up. This is a team in transition. We need to stabilize the players and fashion them into a team. That is our highest goal.

Elizabeth Satterly, Flagstaff Daily Mail: How about a logo or mascot change?

Abe: I assume that question is for me? Well, we are looking at new mascot names right now, actually. A list of names has been compiled and we are shortening it.

Sam Somerville, Arizona Sun: This is for Pepper. How do you translate 13 years of playing linebacker into coaching?

Pepper: I learned how to play, and I played. I simply teach my players how to play, and they play. Coaching is much simpler than many folks realize. You know, then you teach, then they do.

Monte: A causal chain of events.

Pepper: Yeah.

Sandy Alderman, Channel 7 News: Who will call the offensive and defensive plays?

Monte: Charlie and Pepper both call the plays when I call plays, except I can and will override them both or make "suggestions." Like last year, Abe Sargent may also insert himself into the playcalling for a game here and there.

Abe: We're going to start like last year on a rotational basis with Monte and me.

Alright folks, thanks for your questions, and welcome agains to our three new coaches.

Old 09-06-2003, 06:58 PM   #77
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

To: Abe Sargent
Re: Retired Players

As expected, many of our players retired after this season. They include:

K Gary Anderson
FB Larry Centers
CB Todd Lyght
CB Deion Sanders
HB Emmitt Smith
CB Eric Davis
HB Terry Kirby
RG Kipp Vickers
WR/KR Desmond Howard
CB Emmanuel McDaniel
HB Terrell Fletcher
RT Earl Dotson
LOLB O.J. Brigance

-Admin

Old 09-06-2003, 07:44 PM   #78
General Mike
Pro Starter

Emmitt
Old 09-06-2003, 08:18 PM   #79
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Large Number of High Profile Retirements

John Clayton
ESPN.com

As the NFL continues to pass on the torch from age and experience to youth and energy, this season's retirement list boasts what may be the highest profile list of retirees ever for one year.

Need NFL records? How about Shannon Sharpe, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith or Gary Anderson? Each of these players leads the NFL all time in important categories. Anderson is the all time points leader, Smith the leading rusher, Sharpe the leading catcher for tight ends, and Rice has, well, just about every possible receiving record.

In five years, we may see each of these players in the Hall of Fame.

And how about Deion Sanders? Won't he be a virtual automatic Hall of Fame player as well? A player with as many dominating performances would probably also have a good chance for Canton.

Rod Woodson? As good a player in the secondary as you would want. A man wise enough to extend his career by switching positions. Is there a possible shrine for Rod in the Hall as well?

Rich Gannon, two years removed from an MVP season has also retired. And although there probably won't be a spot for the man in the Hall of Fame, the league has still lost another element.

For another cornerback, Aeneas Williams is also calling it quits. Aeneas has suffered for a long time on a poor team. Will that overcome his absolutely dominating performances as a corner when it comes time to vote for Canton?

Sean Landeta has been one of the best punters of all time. Kickers never get the credibility they deserve. Will Landeta wbe looked over because he graduated with so many big names?

How about Tim Brown? Often overshadowed by newcomer Jerry Rice, now that Timmy B. has a Super Bowl ring, will Canton ecome his home? Few receivers have been as consistent over their career as he has.

Bill Romanowski's exodus will leave a hole in the personality department of the NFL. Like Shannon Sharpe, his on the field and locker room presense were amazing, but his career has been highlighted all too often by incidents of a less pleasant nature.

Morten Anderson, the other Anderson, is number two all time in points scored in the NFL. Will either Anderson be the most recent kickers to enter the Hall of Fame? And will Morten be remembered or lost behind the more well known Gary?

Bruce Smith was a fixture in four Super Bowl teams with the Bills. The last star of that dynasty, will he join teammate Jim Kelly in the Hall of Fame?

Vinny Testaverde. Ed McCaffrey. Roman Phifer. Larry Centers. William Henderson. Chris Chandler. Doug Flutie. Sam Gash. Desmond Howard.

So many people have left a wide rift of talent in the sport. Oh yes, the youth movement continues. But our sky has lost a lot of stars this year.

Old 09-06-2003, 08:31 PM   #80
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Memo From Mike Ackerly

According to our reports, the following players became better or worse during the season:

QB Jamie Martin, +1% overall
Danny Wuerffel, -2% overall
Jim Druckenmiller, -5% overall
WR Antonio Freeman, +1% overall
Qadry Ismail, +1% overall
Scottie Montgomery, -7% overall
Mac Cody, -2% overall
TE Pete Mitchell, -3% overall
Damon Jones, -4% overall
Mike Lucky, -4%
LT Richmond Webb, +1%
Jeremy McK9inney, +1%
LG Wally Williams, -1
C Bubba Miller, -3
John Romero, +2
RT Waverly Jackson, +2

LE Chidi Ahanotu, +2
Stalin Colinet, -5
RE Kendrick Office, +5
Grant Irons, +2
DT Chester McGlockton, +2
James Lee, +5
Nate Hobgood-Chitt, -7
LOLB Canute Curtis, +4
MLB Bryan Cox, +2
Tony Gilbert, +5
ROLB John Thierry, +3
Corey Moore, +4
D.D. Lewis, +6
CB Ray Green, +4
Davis Sanchez, -6
FS Marcus Robertson, +2
Kevin Williams, -4
SS Blaine Bishop, +3
Anthony Dorsett, +3

P Matt Turk, +2

Old 09-06-2003, 09:43 PM   #81
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The phone rings. Abe Sargent sets down his book, moves over to the right side of the couch, and picks it up.

Abe Sargent: (To phone) Talk to me.

(Through the phone can be heard the voice of Mike Ackerly, Director of Scouting)

Mike Ackerly: We may have a problem.

Abe: What would that be?

Mike: I just heard that Marcus Robertson is holding out for a better contract.

Abe: You cannot be serious.

Mike: I am.

Abe: How did you hear this? I want to know how good the information is.

Mike: I have a note that was handed to one of our staff. The note says, "I'm holding out for a better contract. Love, Marcus."

Abe: Succinct.

Mike: Indeed.

Abe: Alright, get our General Counsel Celeval on the phone. We will need to do a little analysis early.

Mike: Consider it done.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:44 PM   #82
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Accounting Memo:

We have 20.65 million is cap penalties from last year. Our current salries are at 39.86 million. That leaves us with 42.64 million in cap room.

Old 09-06-2003, 10:06 PM   #83
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Conversation with Mike Ackerly

"After a grueling session, we have decided to sign Marcus to a brand new contract. 3 years for a total of 5.75 mill and 1 mill signing bonus.

"Now, I'd like an assessment of our positions, please.

'This is our position memo? Excellent.

Memo About Current Status

Quarterback - We have both Jamie Martin and Danny Wuerffel on the roster for this year. Both make a good amount of money. We could save a lot against the cap by waiving one or the other or both. Recommendation - Keep Jamie, release Danny, find two quarterbacks.

Running Backs - A slew of retirements have decimated our running back situation. We have no running backs on our roster, and only halfback Delvin Joyce is available as a free agent. Joyce was never a great player. Recommendation - Find abrand new slate of halfbacks and fullbacks.

Receivers - We have no receivers on the roster for this year, although practically all are available as free agents. Freeman and Ismail each had 1000 yard seasons last year. It might be worth it to keep one or both around for this year. Recommendation - Try to sign Ismail and Freeman.

Tight Ends - Only Damon Jones is on the roster, and he is costing us 1.5 million total. A cheaper backup would be nice. Recommendation - Release Damon and find three new Tight Ends.

Offensive Tackle - Richmond Webb is older but very good. We have both Webb and Jeremy McKinney for the roster this year. Waverly Jackson is acceptable on the right side, but a better player would be nice. Recommendation - Resign Jackson if cheap enough, find a permanent RT and backup.

Guard - Wally Williams is currently on our roster and has starting level ability. Leon Searcy acquitted himself well last year and is a free agent. Both are acceptable starters but not impressive. Recommendation - Resign Searcy, find good future projects or backups.

Center - Bubba Miller was injured and lost a step. Although he is on our roster, the almost 2 million he is due to recieve is not worth his effort on the field. Recommendation - Release Bubba and find all new centers.

Defensive End - Chidi Ahanotu and Kendrick Office, both starters from last year, are on our roster. Although neither will knock you over, both are acceptable. Recommendation - Find future starters or backups.

Defensive Tackle - No players are currently under contract. Steve Martin is good enough to start in this league. McGlockton overachieved last year and may be worth bringing back as well. D Line needs youth, though. Recommendation - Resign Martin, maybe McGlockton, find young players

Linebackers - LOLB Canute Curtis is arguably our best backer and under contract. Bryan Cox is also under contract and arguably our best backer. John Thierry is a good solid ROLB and under contarct as well. Recommendation - Find backups and future starters.

Cornerback - With deficiencies created by retirement, corner is critical becuase there are no players under contract. Brand new corners need to be found, and found now. Recommendation - Find a load of corners including two starters.

Safeties - With Marcus Robertson under contract for three years, that position can be considered set. Blaine Bishop is also under contract and is a good player. Recommendation - Find backups, maybe future starter at SS.

Kickers - We need a kicker to replace Gary Anderson. Matt Turk is good and we should resign him. Recommendation - Resign Turk, find starting caliber kicker.

Old 09-06-2003, 10:18 PM   #84
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

ARIZONA CARDINALS PRESS RELEASE

Five players resigned.

Five of Arizona's free agents were resigned today after a week of deliberation with agents from all five players. The players were signed simultaneously in order to make sure that enough cap room was available to fill the roster.

These five players all excelled on the field last year after being picked off the proverbial free agency scrapheap. These five players will continue as Cardinals.

"We needed some experience and continuity on the team and I'm proud to sign each of their names to paper," beamed Abe Sargent, the team owner.

The returning players and their contract numbers are:

Punter Matt Turk, 3 years, total of 2.8 million inc. 250k signing bonus.

Wide Receiver Antonio Freeman, 3 years total of 7.75 million inc. 990k signing bonus.

Wide Receiver Qadry Ismail, 2 years for 3.2 million inc. 800k signing bonus.

Offensive Guard Leon Searcy, 3 years, 3.5 million inc 570k bonus.

Defensive Tackle Steve Martin, 4 years, 8.1 million inc 1.20 bonus

Old 09-07-2003, 02:43 AM   #85
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

ARIZONA CARDINALS PRESS RELEASE

Cardinals Hire Ketchman

Today the Arizona Cardinals announced the hiring of Vic Ketchman as the new Vice President of Public Relations.

Vic has been with the Jacksonville Jaguars since their inception, providing Internet and radio analysis of the team. Before that he was a beat reporter with the Steelers.

In addition to his duties as the new VP of Public Relations, Vic Ketchman will also have a voice in the war room. "His views in 'Ask Vic' are standard reading material for GM wannabes across the league," owner Abe Sargent was quoted as saying.

Vic Ketchman has been hired just as the Jaguars prepare for scouting the NFL Combine.

Old 09-07-2003, 03:19 AM   #86
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The War Room, Pre-Combine Strategy Meeting

Abe Sargent: So then, we are agreed that the positions of greatest need are quarterback followed by corner followed by halfback?

Mike Ackerly: Agreed. Although, personally, I'd order them corner, halfback, quarterback, 1, 2, 3.

Monte Kiffin: You said we have the staff to scout out 15 rookies initially?

Mike: Yes. Then we can get the stats from the Combine and scout out either 15 more rookies or further investigate some of the previous rookies we looked at. Then we can do that one more round. So, basically, we can scout 45 rookies once, 15 rookies three times, and anything in between.

Abe: And we'll know what scores players get only after we scout out the first 15.

Mike: Right.

Vic Ketchman: Since we hold the second and third overall picks, we can look at getting two high impact guys right from the start. Problem is, Carolina picks before us.

Monte: Which means that we can pick the top three players in the draft and get two of them.

Abe: It also means that a QB may be gone.

Vic: Exactly. And Mike, how many first round caliber quarterbacks are there in this year's draft?

Mike: One. Maybe two.

Monte: So we may not get a QB.

Abe: Should we try and trade the 3rd overall for a QB?

Vic: Rams let Bulger go into free agency. We could sign him.

Mike: I prefer that we pick a QB instead of sign one off free agency.

Monte: Why? To go through painful periods of growth? To get an unproven commodity? To pay just as much off a 2nd overall pick contract as a free agent?

Abe: Good points Monte.

Mike: But Bulger, or another free agency QB should be our backup plan. What if Bulger signs for less money to go to a winner? What if another team outbids us for his services? I say take what you can get and be satisfied with it.

Vic: So Bulger is our backup plan in case either the Panthers draft a QB, which would be Phil Nelson, or in case we don't like Phil after scouting him?

Mike: Exactly.

Monte: Fair enough. So the first person we scout is Phil?

Mike: Absolutely. Probably want to scout out Lyle Wallace too. Currently has a 1-2 draft grade, so he could go in eiher round, probably one, but you never know.

Abe: Ok, so we are scouting the two QBs. I want us to scout Mr. Shawn Johnson, the undisputed best halfback in the draft this year according to the hype.

Vic: Seems like a good idea. What abut corner? Doug Bronson?

Mike: He's supposedly the best of the bunch.

Abe: Okay, Doug then. That's four players at the top of the list to scout out. Do we want to scout out any others for our top two picks?

Mike: I can think of three more players at the top of the draft that fit into our needs, DEs Lorenzo Nelson and Neal Freeburg, and WR Dave Wiley.

Monte: Not pressing needs, although I'd like as many good receivers as I can get.

Abe: Agreed, let's look for depth. Vic, what were you saying about that corner?

Vic: CB Tamarick Grant out of UCLA. Guy is an amazing returner and could be a good late round pickup.

Mike: He has a late round grade 4th - 7th. Doesn't seem to have any deficiencies heading into the combine.

Abe: Great, let's scout him out then.

Monte: Probably want to scout some more runningbacks.

Mike: Looking at running backs, I like Josh Elliott. Looks to go 3rd-4th. Has good skills. Also like Jayson Justice and Carlton Sherry. Both have second round grades and similar stats.

Abe: Which do you like best of Jayson and Carlton?

Mike: Hmmm... Carlton.

Abe: Then scout out Carlton plus Josh. Can't focus too much on the same round. Any deep players you guys like?

Monte: Who was that Tight End we saw play in the Tangerine Bowl?

Mike: Herman Miller, from California.

Monte: Yeah, that's him. I liked him.

Mike: Has a 3rd-4th grade. Best hands of any Tight End in the draft.

Vic: Definitely should scout him then.

Abe: After looking over your reports last week, I liked Offensive Tackler Mike Myers from Baylor.

Mike: The guy with the really good technical skills?

Abe: Yep

Mike: He's graded at a 4th-7th, so it's a nice place to scout.

Monte: How many do we have set so far?

Vic: Nine by my count.

Monte: How about more corners?

Mike: Okay, for depth I like Mark Wyun from Wake Forest. Graded in 4th-7th but with good skills. For an earlier and more likely impactful selection, how about Jabari Newberry from Florida State? 1st or 2nd round pick with great skills.

Abe: Scout 'em both.

Vic: That's 11. How many halfbacks? Three right?

Monte: Right.

Vic: Fullback?

Mike: Most of the Fullbacks in this year's draft have serious deficiencies at one of the four major skill areas for a fullback. The only one who doesn't also doesn't excel in any area. How about Center? We need a starting one. Dedric Arrington from Virginia has a 1-2 grade and appears to tbe the best center in the draft.

Abe: That's good thinking. Let's revisit WR Dave Wiley at the top spot.

Vic: Scout him out as a backup plan?

Abe: Exactly.

Monte: D-Line?

Mike: RE Terrell Moore from Colorado State with a grade of 1st-2nd.

Abe: Deal. One more. Go with your other 2nd round back?

Mike: Jayson? Okay then, that's our first fifteen.

Abe: We'll meet at the combine to discover what we've learned and who to look at next.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:12 AM   #87
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Combine Meeting #1

Abe Sargent: He ran a 4.29? You have got to be kidding.

Mike: Not at all.

Abe: Wow. Everybody see the grin on my face?

Monte: Who ran that?

Abe: Oh sorry, gotta catch you guys up. Shawn Johnson, the supposedly best running back in the draft registered a 4.29 in the 40.

Vic: Now that's special.

Mike: Ready for this? Seven players were faster here at the combine. We'll look into that in a bit though. Shawn Johnson also had 23 bench reps, the second highest total for a halfback. Fifth best Shuttle time.

Monte: I want him.

Abe: We'll continue to scout him out. I want to find possible flaws, but he definately lies at the top of our draft board now.

Vic: Uh oh, what happened with Phil?

Abe: Fumbles a lot. We'll keep scouting him, though. Nothing really impressive about his physical stats, though. Lyle Wallace may have done just as well today.

Monte: I was at the QB throwing. Lyle showed really nice touch.

Mike: Carlton and Jayson, our two halfback prospects graded in the second round, had similar days.

Abe: Carlton had a 38" vertical though. That was a nice bonus.

Vic: Josh Elliott?

Mike: Nothing really special about him.

Monte: What about our first round receiver, consensus top receiver Dave Wiley?

Abe: 4.38 speed, par for the course. 40" vertical, nice. Let me see, above average interview. Seems like the real deal.

Vic: How about Monte's Tight End, Miller?

Mike: Slow with a 4.84 time. Also had a bad interview. Not that bright and TEs need smarts more than many offensive players.

Abe: Mike Myers was our last offensive player, right?

Mike: Nope, we have Dedric too. Mike is weaker than I thought - 25 bench reps for an O-Lineman. And a bad interview to boot. Dedric is even weaker with only 22 reps. Above average interview to make up for it, though.

Monte: What about that end?

Abe: I went to see Terrell. Nothing of any note there.

Vic: And we had four corners.

Mike: Doug is the highly touted one. 4.34 40 time. 38" vertical. 14 reps, good for a corner. Tamarick was Vic's late round special teams guy. Slow for a special teams man - 4.68 in the 40. 36" vertical, average interview and nothing really there.

Jabari Newberry may have been the best review of the four. 4.38 40 time. 41" vertical and an aboe average interview plus he really wrapped up people well in tackle drills. 18 bench reps makes him the strongest corner in the draft. The next highest score was 14, which Bronson had.

So, while Jabari came out mice, Mark Wynn, not Wyun, didn't. 4.56 speed is a bit slow. Combined with a below average interview - ick.

Abe: Who do we want to continue to scout?

Mike: In corners, we've got to keep looking at Jabari and Doug.

Abe: And Shawn Johnson.

Monte: The two quarterbacks?

Abe: Yep. Let's go with Dedric.

Mike: That it? Alright, here are some suggestions based on today's information. I prepared a printout:

Balanced Quarterback Rashard Cenci, Miami (Fl), 4th-7th round, Good Pass Strength, Great Pass Accuracy, 4.82 40, 6'1", Great interview

Balanced HB Ronnie Walker, Middle Tennessee State, 3rd-4th round, Good Run Power, Below Average Hands, 5'11", 4.28 40, above average interview

Balanced WR Jerry Harper, Clemson, 3rd, Above Average Hands, Amazing Kick Return, 6'1", 4.28 speed, Average interview

Balanced WR Jeff Young, N.C. State, 2nd, Good Hands, Above Average Kick Return, 6'1", 4.31 40, Below Average interview

Balanced LG Jamie Bryant, Oklahoma, 6'2", 2nd-3rd, Average Run Blocking, Above Average Pass Blocking, 35 reps (highest at the combine), Great interview

Run Blocking C Cris Forrest, Florida State, 6'6", 4th-7th, Good Run Blocking, Average Pass Blocking, 32 reps (best for a center), great interview

Pass Rushing RE Brad Moss, Boston College, 6'2", 2nd-3rd, average tackling, 4.58 40 (best for any DE), 3.92 shuttle run (2nd best for any DE), average interview

Balanced DT Taj Lankford, Ohio State, 6'7", 4th-7th, good tckling, 4.9 40, 4.2 shuttle, above average interview

Balanced CB Chuck Carter, Ole Miss, 6'0", 4th-7th, average tackling, below average hands, 4.32 40, 38" vertical, average interview.

Abe: You've listed nine players here?

Mike: Yep, sure have.

Vic: We have nine spots left, right?

Mike: Yep, I had my computer print out our top 9 by position.

Monte: I like it. A good, rounded mix.

Abe: Alright - let's do it.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:32 AM   #88
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Combine Meeting #2

Abe: So what did we learn?

Mike: Name me a position.

Vic: Quarterback.

Mike: Lyle proved he was good scrambler. Phil has great huddle presence in teh huddle. A true leader. Rashard reads defenses very well and does checkdowns much better than most rookie qbs.

Monte: Interesting.

Mike: Halfback we looked at Shawn some more and Ronnie. Shawn showed amazing shifty moves. Didn't learn much about Ronnie.

Abe; Receiver?

Mike: Jeff Young proved his speed. Jerry Harper is a straight line runner, not much of a guy who jukes around and the like.

Abe: Interesting. We want a guy like that returning kicks?

Vic: As opposed to a guy who runs a 4.86, sure.

Abe: Fair enough.

Monte: The trenches?

Mike: Guard Bryant needs to work on some blocking skills. Dedric takes good angles but will need to work on power.

Vic: Which we already knew...

Mike: Right. C Cris Forrest was recommended as a great leader and role model. RE Brad Moss is a finesse type end. And DT Taj seems as likely to injure as a rock.

Abe: Descriptive. That's why I like you as a Director of Scouting.

Mike: Thanks. As for corners, Chuck Carter lets mistakes eat at him and can't let them go. Doug seems very comitted to the job and works diligently to improve. He also planted and drove very well. And Jabari diagnoses reads well.

Abe: Excellent, thanks. Who to scout for the last group?

Monte: The three quarterbacks.

Mike: Fair Enough. And Shawn Johnson and Doug Bronson I presume?

Vic: Ronnie, since we didn't get much last time. Jerry and Jeff as well, probably.

Mike: Cris was good, I'd like to get more on him and Moss and Lankford.

Abe: Mike, you can pick the last five for us. Thanks. We'll welcome your final report tomorrow.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:41 AM   #89
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Final Scouting Report:

QB Lyle Wallace - Not rattled by pressure, Plummer-esque speed
QB Phil Nelson - Fit right in as a third string QB for now.
QB Rashard Cenci - Tough and durable, Mobile in pocket
HB Shawn Johnson - Makes defenders miss, protects ball well
HB Ronnie Walker - Good agility, two sport athelete who ran track
FB Tiki Mann - Doesn't have great field vision
WR Jeff Young - Straight Line Runner, Solid with room for growth
WR Jerry Harper - Productive downfield, Bobbles too much.
TE Cornell Carter - Does not have natural hands
C Cris Forrest - Engages with force
RE Brad Moss - Marginal in run defense.
DT Taj Lankford - Marginal speed, Lacks proper arm technique
CB Chuck Carter - Good Timing, Healthy
CB Doug Bronson - Jumps perfectly
CB Jabari Newberry - Abilites to compete with top receivers

- Mike Ackerly

Old 09-07-2003, 02:57 PM   #90
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Chris Berman: And we are back. Who is Carolina lookin at for their top overall pick here?

Mel: Well, Chris, you never know. Carolina has been silent about their top choice. Delhomme is a decent enough quarterback, but they may go for Phil Nelson here. They could also use Ofensive Tackler help and cornerback help. So one of the many top tackles in this year's draft could go here, or a corner, which you'd have to think is Doug Bronson.

Jimmy: I really like Shawn Johnson. That kid can play football.

Mel: He's the top choice of the Cardinals, so if Carolina passes on Shawn, then Arizona gets a certified stud.

Chris: And the Commissioner steps up to the podium The first pick of the 2004 draft is coming up.

Paul Tags: With the first overall selection in the 2004 draft, the Carolina Panthers select Wide Receiver from Nebraska Leslie McPherson. The Cardinals are on the clock.

Chris: Wow.

Mel: Leslie was believed by many to be the second best receiver in this draft. He did have a good combine, but apparently, much better than we thought.

Jimmy: Does Carolina need receiver?

Chris: They have Smith and Muhammad, both older guys.

Mel: But this pick is so odd. This was a bad selection. Leslie was moving up draft boards, but probably would have been available around 8 or 10.

Chris: The Cardinals are up next. They have the #2 selection from their 4-12 record and the #3 selection with a trade to Detroit. Picks #2 and #3 overall, and they weren't even considering McPherson, so they essentially get their top two choices of all rookies.

Jimmy: They should be able to pick up some impact players here.

Chris: Now Arizona doesn't have to draft eithr player for a half hour. They have fifteen minutes for each pick, but if they pass on their first pick, they'll still be on the clock for their second.

Mel: True, but this was a dream scenario for the Cardinals, and I should think that they are ready to pounce.

Jimmy: They'll go for Shawn Johnson?

Mel: I think they will.

Chris: Doug Bronson, a corner, or Phil Nelson, a quarterback.

Mel: During the combine, they believe that they unearthed other really good quarterbacks, but few good corners. I think they'll go with Doug Bronson here.

Jimmy: Quarterback is a seductive position, however.

Chris: Here comes Tags

Tags: With the second overall selection in the 2004 draft, the Cardinals select Running Back from Florida State, Shawn Johnson.

With the third overall selection in the 2004 draft, the Cardinals select Defensive Back from Mississippi State, Doug Bronson.

The Cowboys are on the clock.

Jimmy: Hit on both players.

Chris: It's always easist to predict the top of the draft. Mel?

Mel: Shawn Johnson is one of the best backs we've seen come out in a while, and Arizona is lucky to have gotten him. Doug Bronson seems to have everything taken care of. Let's look a little more deeply into each player with a videon montage....

Old 09-07-2003, 03:00 PM   #91
General Mike
Pro Starter

Kiper didn't say "Upside Potential" enough
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 09-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #92
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Chris And welcome back to the all-receiver draft....

Jimmy: I've never seen so many receivers go so early!

Chris: We had 14 receivers go in the first round when it was offensive tackle depth that was supposed to prevail

Mel: Big story on the quarterbacks. Phil Nelson didn't get picked until 18, Lyle Wallace at pick 28.

Jimmy: So who has fallen into the second round?

Mel: Well, because of the large number of receivers selected, three offensive tackles with first round grades are still available. We also have Fullback Tiki Mann and SS Jordan - both with first round grades.

Chris: Who does Arizona need?

Jimmy: Doesn't Arizona need just about every position?

Mel: They could use it, so they may go with a best available approach. Of they may stick with their plan. They need starting center, fullback, tight end, defensive tackle, and cornerback. Maybe a starting quarterback. That's a lot of need.

Jimmy: They're not going to go with Tiki Mann are they?

Mel: It's the only position where the players who have fallen match the Cardinals need, but no, I don't think that they'll take Mann.

Chris: Here comes the assistant commissioner

Asst. Commish: With the 34th overall selection of the 2004 draft, the Cardinals select the tackle from the University of Southern California Jon Johnson.

Chris: There you go.

Mel: They chose to go with best available here, which was a good pickup. Jon can start for them right away. He has great blocking skills, both pass and run. Not the strongest tackle ever, but he is bright and reads plays well.

Jimmy: You get a good RB, now you need a good line to run behind.

Mel: I'm surprised. They didn't scout Johnson at the combine, so it's sort of a surprise pick, but he's a good player.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:07 PM   #93
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Chris Berman: Let's recap the Cardinals draft, shall we?

Mel: The Cardinals had those twin picks at the top of the draft. With them, they picked up HB Shawn Johnson and CB Doug Bronson, both projected starters.

In the second they went with best available and snatched up Jon Johnson who fell only because receiver was such a feeding frenzy. In the third they pulled the trigger on Dedric Arrington, the center out of Virginia.

4th round was another best available selection with Defensive Tackle Reggie Fryar from Eastern Kentucky. Reggie also wasn't even scouted by the Cardinals at the combine.

The 5th round saw corner Chuck Carter get his name called. 6th was Tight End Herman Miller and Center Cris Forrest rounded out the draft in round 7.

Chris: So how would you say the Cardinals did?

Mel: B+/A- They were definately one of the better teams to make out this weekend. They got some quality players, some immediate starters, but they failed to address their need ast quarterback. Unless they feel that Jamie Martin can actually start in this league, they have to go to free agency looking for a quarterback. However, they made some good picks in the middle rounds where quality was still on the board.

Chris: Thanks Mel, now how about the Lions?

Mel: Their first rounder, of course, went to Arizona. But in the second round.....

Old 09-07-2003, 04:12 PM   #94
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by General Mike
Kiper didn't say "Upside Potential" enough

True. True.

-Anxiety

Old 09-07-2003, 06:55 PM   #95
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

From the Cardinals Website:

Meet the new Cardinals in draft order:

1st - HB Shawn Johnson, Florida State, 16.75 mill for 4 years inc 3 million bonus.

1st - CB Doug Bronson, Mississippi State, 8.5 million for 4 years inc 1.6 million bonus

2nd - RT Jon Johnson, USC, 3.5 mill for 3 years inc 570k bonus

3rd - C Dedric Arrington, Virginia, 1.75 million for 3 years inc 250k bonus

4th - DT Reggie Fryar, Eastern Kentucky, 1.85 million for 3 years inc 300k bonus

5th - CB Chuck Carter, Ole Miss, 1.10 mill for 3 years inc 160k bonus

6th - TE Herman Miller, California, 730k for 3 years inc 60k bonus

7th - C Cris Forrest, Florida State, 730k for 3 years inc 60k bonus

Old 09-07-2003, 09:33 PM   #96
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Excerpt from Rookie 2004 Draft Review from Football.com

...so that's why we wait to rate the draft until a month or so later. We want to get a chance to see the rookies in pads action during mini-camps. So, let's begin.

Arizona - Halfback Shawn Johnson is the exact player Arizona needed after putting up less than 800 total yards in rushing all last year. They ranked 32nd in the league and Shawn appears to be the answer. Corner Doug Bronson also has looked pretty good in drills. He's still a bit young, but Doug appears to have all of the upside that a player needs. Jon Johnson, their Offensive Tackle, also looks to start long term at the position. If he can work on his run blocking, this guy will be great. Center Dedric Arrington is also the likely starter for the Cardinals for the next few years.

But, after those four starters through the first three rounds, Arizona merely appears to have unearthed nothing more than backups through the other rounds, at least for now. Maybe DT Fryar or somebody will be starting caliber after a few years of growth.

The problem is that Arizona leaves the draft with a lot of holes. Quarterback, kicker, corner, fullback, tight end, receiver, and halfback. They didn't fill that crucial franchise quarterback role, which is pretty vital. But Jamie wasn't as bad of a quarterback as some people thought. He only had five starts before last season. And in his first season as a starter he threw almost 3000 yards and had two receivers with 1000 seasons. With a poor offensive line, an anemic rushing game, and poor tight end play, is it any wonder that Martin did so poorly? So, if no franchise quarterback comes from free agency, it's not as big of a loss a some people think.

The Cardinals did not fill a lot of their holes, but they had so many from last year's infamous roster purge that you can't blame them. They did well enough. B+

Old 09-07-2003, 11:45 PM   #97
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Free Agnecy Prep Memo

We need the following positions:

1 QB
2 or 3 HB
1 or 2 FB
1 TE
3 or 4 WR
1 or 2 OG
2 DE
2 DT
1 LOLB
1 MLB
1 ROLB
3 or 4 CB
1 FS
1 SS
1 K

Total of 18-20 players. 28.56 in cap room, although we can make some moves to clear up a bit if we need to.

-Mike Ackerly

Old 09-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #98
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Free Agency Diary:

Day 1:

On the first day of Free Agency we contact our top three players:

QB Marc Bulger
FB James Hodgins
TE Cam Cleeland

We offer contracts to each and have just enough time to offer a contract to CB Ike Charlton.

Day 2:

Our bids for Bulger and Cleeland are outbid by others. We jack up our bids on both. We also make offers to some of our priorities:

Rookie Free Agent K Dexter Krause
WR/KR Michael Lewis
DT Monsanto Pope

Day 3:

We get work that Marc Bulger, Cam Cleeland, Ike Charlton and Monsanto Pope have agreed to our deals and signed with us.

We make an offer to CB Terry Fair.

Day 4:

James Hodgins and Dexter Krause signed with us.

We make an offer to RB Terrell Davis and rookie MLB Colby Solomon.

Day 5:

Terry Fair and Michael Lewis agree to our contracts and sign.

We make three offers to rookie free agents:

SS William Kinney
FS Drew Copeland
ROLB Darnay Hill

Day 6:

No action, we've made all of the offers we intend to.

Day 7:

Kinney, Copeland, Davis and Solomon sign.

Day 8:

Hill signs and is our last signing during the auction period.

-Mike Ackerly

Old 09-08-2003, 12:52 AM   #99
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Top Sheet off a Discarded Pad of Paper in Abe Sargent's Handwriting:

Roster Moves:

Release C Bubba Miller

Sign rookie free agents:

LOLB Eddie Shakur
DT Sean Nelson
RE Dre Fisk
LE Joey Williams

Sign experienced free agents:

CB Tyrone Carter
HB Doug Chapman
WR Dedric Ward
WR Andre King
LG Floyd Wedderburn
RG Victor Allotey
RT John St. Claire

Old 09-08-2003, 12:35 PM   #100
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Youth Movement in Arizona

John Clayton
ESPN.com

After last year's retirment home status of the team, this year a young, vibrant club is expected to play on the field. Gone are savvy vets like Emmitt Smith, Deion Sanders and Larry Centers.

Although a few old men remain - Tackle Richmond Webb, HB Terrell Davis was recently signed, CB Terry Fair was also signed, and MLB Bryan Cox, the trend is definately youth, youthm and more youth.

Arizona had eight draft picks and four appear to be starting. All eight made the roster. Also making the roster were nine undrafted rookie free agents, the largest number this year by far, and the largest ever for an Cardinals team. 17 rookies are on the team in all, the largest in the league.

Owner Abe Sargent promised a significant youth movement this year and he delivered. However, this team is still largely old. Or young. There are very few players in between. In their prime.

When asked what his expectations were for this year he claimed, "To compete." New Head Coach Monte Kiffin echoed his comments, "We have to play hard every week, every down. If we lose, fine, but we have to play hard and play with heart."

The young Cardinals will determine this season's fortunes. They will decide whether the team will compete or not.