Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #51
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
He's not going to fit well in a big media market, but I think a school such as Clemson might work.

Quote:
But, at the same time, Leach won't go anywhere if he isn't given freedom to do whatever the hell he wants as far as football goes. He's pretty quirky and wouldn't put up with people not wanting to do things his way.

Unfortunately these 2 are mutually exclusive.
In Rich Rod's last season as OC Clemson won 9 games, was ranked as high as #4 in the nation and fans were griping because they threw the ball too much.

Also despite its apparent size, I'd say the media scrutiny is much higher in Clemson than one would think.

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #52
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Jim Mora has declared himself as not a candidate for the UW job.

Of course, given the examples set by Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino and others, that doesn't necessarily mean he won't take the job...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #53
timmynausea
College Starter

Fulmer out at the end of the year.

ESPN - Sources: Tennessee Volunteers coach Phillip Fulmer agrees to step down
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #54
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone want to take bets on where Muschamp ends up? There's obviously a lot of speculation he'd prefer an SEC job given his background, and he'll have Tennessee and probably Auburn to choose from along with Clemson.

There are a few up in these parts that think due to the relationship school president Mark Emmert had with him when both were at LSU that he could be a candidate for Washington, but I have a hard time believing he'd choose the Huskies over Tennessee or Auburn (or even Clemson) given his roots in the South.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #55
Butter
Coordinator

I would say Tennessee.

At this point, I would be surprised if Clemson does not retain Swinney. I know, not the big name that you would expect Clemson to go after... and you have to be wary of mid-season wonders fizzling out the next year.

But Clemson had about 4 days of prep with Swinney and almost took down a team that is likely the class of the conference this year (Ga. Tech), and won a road game against a team they had yet to beat in ACC play in 4 seasons (Boston College), even while committing 4 turnovers in the process.

I think Clemson will finish really strong, and Swinney will get the reins for a couple of years.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #56
JHandley
High School Varsity

I was talking this over with a friend of mine last week and we both came to pretty much the same conclusion. UW needs another stepping stone coach and Pat Hill would be perfect for it if he takes it.

Ty was brought in to do one thing and he did it very well. He cleaned up the image of UW. Right or wrong, following Neuheisel the NCAA had camped out in Seattle and was watching the program very closely. Ty did not win games, and absolutely deserved to be fired, but the NCAA has left town. Now they need to move on to the second step.

I see Pat Hill as a guy that could bring the UW back to relevance in the Pac-10 but not as a coach that could bring them to national relevance. I think he could get them to bowl games, and run what amounts to a .500 program there. After 4 years of him, I think the fans will want a coach who can get them into Rose bowls. I agree that it could be an upper echelon job, but at present, it's got poor facilities and a worse stadium. That combined with the only winless team in the NCAA makes it real hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. They can't get a big time coach, there's too many things missing.

Pinkel isn't going to leave the soft Big 12 north for UW. We found out that Mora Jr. isn't a complete moron, he just doesn't know to watch his mouth on the radio. Tedford didn't want the job 4 years ago and UW has done nothing to improve itself in his eyes.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #57
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Here are the pros and cons of the UW job as I see it:

Cons:
- The program is in the dumps, working on 5 straight losing seasons and 6 seasons without a bowl game. National perception of the program is at an all-time low, which means less TV, less positive exposure to recruits, and overcoming a losing culture around the program.
- The fan base has predictably become fractured and apathetic. Where the Huskies used to regularly lead the Pac-10 in attendance by usually selling out the 72,000 seat stadium, now they struggle to bring in 50,000, and season ticket sales continue to plummet (a far cry from the days of season ticket waiting lists). The fans that remain are bitter about the free fall of the program and argue with each other about who's to blame, how to fix things and how long it should take to fix it.
- Husky Stadium is not aging gracefully - the lower bowl, first built in 1920, is in serious need of remodeling/rebuilding, and the track around the field needs to go and the field lowered to bring the stands closer to the field, as well as to create more high-priced seating to help the UW football program stay in the upper echelon of programs in terms of revenue. The weight-room facilities are also well behind the curve.
- The Pac-10 has gotten tougher in the last decade, with Cal and Oregon State joining Oregon as consistent winners, as well as USC emerging as one of the top programs in the country. Stanford is on the rise under Harbaugh, and Arizona may be finally turning the corner with Stoops. ASU is still a sleeping giant, and with Erickson there should be a consistent winner. UCLA will always be a threat given their ability to recruit LA. Only WSU is a question mark right now besides Washington.
- The team itself is imbalanced in terms of position groups and classes. The upper-classes are short on developed talent, and the new coach will have his hands full just trying to salvage this year's recruiting class. It will probably require at least 4 seasons to really address the quality of depth on this roster and start to assemble greater balance.

Pros:
- Seattle is one of the more attractive places to recruit to on the West Coast, and even in down cycles the UW usually has a big edge in recruiting in-state. With greater success and better recruiting, the UW should be able to re-establish successful recruiting pipelines in Hawai'i and compete again with Cal, Oregon and ASU for the California kids that USC and UCLA don't take.
- With the lack of depth in the program, a coach can sell early playing time to recruits pretty effectively.
- The program has a history of success, and as recently as the 2000 season won the Rose Bowl and finished #3 in the country. They are #19 overall in wins and #20 in win percentage in Division 1-A, and have played in Rose Bowls in each decade since the 1920's. They are the 2nd most successful Pac-10 program behind USC. That history is something that can be sold to recruits, and it can help them in national perception when it comes to TV exposure, rankings and bowls.
- Related to above, it's a BCS school with all the advantages that confers.
- The team has a lot of talent in the lower classes, especially the freshman class. With better schemes, better development and more time in the program, there's enough raw talent that a good coach could get to 6 wins and a bowl in his 2nd year.
- The in-state recruiting crop for the 2010 class is outstanding, and could help provide a very strong base to build off of, similar to the outstanding 2008 class
Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #58
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good points, but i think you over estimate the UW job a bit in the scheme of the PAC-10. UW doesn't have any staying power in California anymore since UW hasn't been good since before most of these kids were in Junior High
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #59
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Good points, but i think you over estimate the UW job a bit in the scheme of the PAC-10. UW doesn't have any staying power in California anymore since UW hasn't been good since before most of these kids were in Junior High
Nope, not at the moment. But if the new coach can get things going in a positive direction again, they can again start competing with Oregon, Cal & ASU for the guys USC and UCLA pass on.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #60
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think Cutcliffe is going to go to the Vols, but I could be wrong. I love that guy. I hear MSU's Mark Dantonio's name come up with Auburn but it's doubtful he'll leave MSU. Seems to love it there.

As far as UW, that job is such a wildcard. After Mora, no names stick out to me as perfect fits.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #61
sooner333
College Starter

What about a guy like Harbaugh to Washington?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #62
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do you think Peterson (Boise) will move at all?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #63
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
What about a guy like Harbaugh to Washington?

I doubt it. Harbaugh has a top 15 recruiting class right now and Stanford is the more desirable of the two jobs in my opinion. I think he will stick it out there for a while to see what he's building through.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #64
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

If not this year, then next. I think an SEC school will take a chance on him, with good reason. He can flat out coach.

I was thinking ... a guy I think UW should go after is Brian Kelly from Cinncy. I wanted him at Michigan. Great offensive mind. Wins wherever he goes. A great, great coach and he wants to coach at a big university.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #65
Galaxy
Coordinator

Just curious, how is Michigan recruiting this year?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #66
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Just curious, how is Michigan recruiting this year?

Very good. It'll end up being a top 10 class. 2010 though is looking like it could be the best class in Michigan history (ranking wise). Two commits already, and another coming from some elite talent.

So at least recruiting wise things aren't awful.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #67
Celeval
Pro Starter

There are a lot of reasons why Cutcliffe to the Vols would make sense, but I think the timing is bad - he's made a real point here about wanting to be at Duke for some time, and if it was even a season later, I think it'd be viable. Not that Tennessee wouldn't throw a ton of money at him, but I think it's more likely that Cutcliffe will end up following whoever follows Fulmer.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #68
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
There are a lot of reasons why Cutcliffe to the Vols would make sense, but I think the timing is bad - he's made a real point here about wanting to be at Duke for some time, and if it was even a season later, I think it'd be viable. Not that Tennessee wouldn't throw a ton of money at him, but I think it's more likely that Cutcliffe will end up following whoever follows Fulmer.

I do agree here and I think you're probably dead on. I could see Muschamp at Tennessee as well. Not sure though how that'll play out.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #69
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Nope, not at the moment. But if the new coach can get things going in a positive direction again, they can again start competing with Oregon, Cal & ASU for the guys USC and UCLA pass on.

UCLA isnt passing on many guys these days. They had a hell of a class last year, the best overall class in the PAC-10, but they have been struggling this year
Old 11-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #70
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
UCLA isnt passing on many guys these days. They had a hell of a class last year, the best overall class in the PAC-10, but they have been struggling this year
It's rare when the top guys in SoCal get away from either USC or UCLA. There were rare cases when the Huskies were really rolling under Don James where the UW plucked some 5-star guys out of California, but usually the Huskies were going after the lesser rated guys there and trying to find under the radar gems.

And the UW usually did better in the Bay Area than SoCal - Seattle is a closer match to that environment than SoCal, so it's easier to sell those guys on coming up to Seattle. Most of the LA kids aren't as in to Seattle, unless they really want to leave home for whatever reason.

USC and UCLA are always going to have a big advantage on the vast majority of SoCal recruits, so the UW can only realistically hope to get back to trying to beat out Oregon, Cal and ASU for the best of the leftovers.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #71
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I would say Tennessee.

At this point, I would be surprised if Clemson does not retain Swinney. I know, not the big name that you would expect Clemson to go after... and you have to be wary of mid-season wonders fizzling out the next year.

But Clemson had about 4 days of prep with Swinney and almost took down a team that is likely the class of the conference this year (Ga. Tech), and won a road game against a team they had yet to beat in ACC play in 4 seasons (Boston College), even while committing 4 turnovers in the process.

I think Clemson will finish really strong, and Swinney will get the reins for a couple of years.

We will see.
I am told that President Barker is going to demand a big name with prior head coaching experience and he LOVES Bobby Johnson [*shudder*] who looks an awful lot like Tommy West at this point (now in all fairness I love coach west he gave me my scholarship) but thats not the right direction for this program.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #72
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
If not this year, then next. I think an SEC school will take a chance on him, with good reason. He can flat out coach.

I was thinking ... a guy I think UW should go after is Brian Kelly from Cinncy. I wanted him at Michigan. Great offensive mind. Wins wherever he goes. A great, great coach and he wants to coach at a big university.
I've been pimping Brian Kelly for the UW job for a while.

One thing he may have working against him is a preference by the UW to get someone that has some recruiting ties on the West Coast. Personally, I think that's a bit over rated - if you get the right assistants on your staff you can get some ins, and then it's up to the staff to work the recruiting trail hard and build those relationships. Don James adapted pretty quickly at the UW coming over from Kent State, and he had no prior personal recruiting connections on the West Coast (but he did hire assistants who did).

Kelly and Gary Patterson are guys I really like if the UW can't get Mora or Tedford. Tedford is a major longshot, though reportedly he's expressed interest in the job through back channels. I'm having a hard time seeing it, but maybe he thinks the UW ultimately gives him a better shot of competing with USC. If he has expressed some interest in the UW job, I'd bet it's more likely just a way for him to put more pressure on the Cal administration to get the facilities projects rolling and to bump his pay.

Mora has said "I'm not a candidate", but that statement leaves wiggle room and there's reports that he's not off the table yet - that if the UW steps up with a better offer, he could be had. I think he'd actually have better job security with the UW than with the Seahawks which would theoretically overcome a lower salary, and he's far more in demand by Husky fans (who mostly love him) than Seahawks fans (who are far less enthusiastic about him). But maybe Mora really doesn't want to pass up another shot as a head coach in the NFL. Or maybe there are other factors with the UW that give him pause (booster interference?)
Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #73
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I doubt it. Harbaugh has a top 15 recruiting class right now and Stanford is the more desirable of the two jobs in my opinion. I think he will stick it out there for a while to see what he's building through.
Stanford is a very different job from most other schools. Given the academic requirements to get in and the academic reputation of Stanford, recruiting there is in some ways harder and some ways easier than at most other schools, and is very different.

Because of the academic requirements to get in, Stanford has a much smaller pool of potential recruits. But within that pool, Stanford has a high success rate - kids that can get into Stanford are more often than not ones that really value a Stanford education. They can recruit nationally because of their reputation.

I have no idea if this difference in recruiting and the kinds of kids Stanford attracts is something Harbaugh likes or not. Ultimately, I don't think Stanford has as much chance of success in football as Washington does, but obviously right now Stanford is a better program and any coach taking over the Huskies is facing a serious rebuilding project - it will probably take several years for the UW to get back to where it was under Neuheisel and Lambright.

It really just depends on what Harbaugh's goals are.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #74
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
From what I've read, he's a bit of a different personality, not necessarily looking to jump into a bigger pond with greater scrutiny. He and his family really like Boise, and he can't help but have noticed that his predecessors (Koetter, Hawkins) haven't exactly set the world on fire at their new jobs.

There's also some speculation that if he were going to jump, Oregon holds some appeal for him due to his stint there as an assistant under Bellotti.

My only question with Peterson is that he's kept a strong program rolling - can he build up a struggling program?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #75
timmynausea
College Starter

Nightmare scenario for Michigan fans: a big name school picks off Mark Dantonio and Sparty goes back to the Cincy well for Brian Kelly. I could be wrong, but I really think Kelly could turn MSU into a power.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #76
molson
General Manager

Syracuse finally pulls the plug on Greg Robinson:

ESPN - Syracuse Orange fire Greg Robinson with 2 games to go

Robinson was 9-35, 3-23 in the big east. Bringing him back this year was a huge waste of time.

If Randy Edsall is interested (and reports say that he is), I can't imagine they go anywhere else.

Last edited by molson : 11-16-2008 at 02:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #77
Logan
Head Coach

And the rest of the Big East is now sad.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #78
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Who gets to fire AD Gross?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #79
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

ESPN - Syracuse Orange fire Greg Robinson with 2 games to go

Robinson was 9-35, 3-23 in the big east. Bringing him back this year was a huge waste of time.

If Randy Edsall is interested (and reports say that he is), I can't imagine they go anywhere else.

Agreed on every count. It cannot possibly get worse than this crap.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #80
Buccaneer
Head Coach

There's that frown again (as in every time they catch someone doing something bad or having something bad happen to them, they always show the "remorseful frown face").
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #81
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Thank god they finally pulled the plug. I thought they should have went with Chow (whether he would have done better with P-brain's recruits is unknown but I doubt he could have recruited worse than Robinson).

They need someone who can recruit the NE then expand outwards when they get to the point that they are actually keeping the homegrown talent from leaving. Sound fundamental football is all we ask (hoping someone takes advantage of the Dome is too much at this point).
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #82
SFL Cat
College Starter

I guess Dave Wann-stash has saved his job at Pitt for another season.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #83
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

If he isn't, Chip Kelly is an interesting name. UNH background, OC at Oregon right now.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #84
MrBug708
Head Coach

Most people think Kelly is waiting for the Oregon job...well by most people I mean Oregon fans...

Rocky Long resigns from the New Mexico?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #85
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Stanford is a very different job from most other schools. Given the academic requirements to get in and the academic reputation of Stanford, recruiting there is in some ways harder and some ways easier than at most other schools, and is very different.

Because of the academic requirements to get in, Stanford has a much smaller pool of potential recruits. But within that pool, Stanford has a high success rate - kids that can get into Stanford are more often than not ones that really value a Stanford education. They can recruit nationally because of their reputation.

I have no idea if this difference in recruiting and the kinds of kids Stanford attracts is something Harbaugh likes or not. Ultimately, I don't think Stanford has as much chance of success in football as Washington does, but obviously right now Stanford is a better program and any coach taking over the Huskies is facing a serious rebuilding project - it will probably take several years for the UW to get back to where it was under Neuheisel and Lambright.

It really just depends on what Harbaugh's goals are.

Pretty spot on explanation. Unless Harbaugh has some secret formula for consistently finding admissible talent (we'll see starting with 2010 recruiting), Washington will have a higher ceiling than Stanford. The odds of Stanford winning 9 games in a season before Washington are high, but the odds to winning a national title at some point in time are higher in Seattle.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #86
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm hearing a rumor that Hal Mumme has/is about to get canned at NMSU as well, but I can't find anything to confirm this...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #87
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola- I guess the rumor is stemming from this article plus the fact that he said he would quit if they lost to Fresno (and they did). And apparently one of the El Paso TV stations is reporting it as going down...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ion-last-year/

Last edited by JeeberD : 11-18-2008 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #88
Butter
Coordinator

That, and Hal Mumme is kerrrrraaaaaaaazy.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #89
JeeberD
General Manager

Well, duh.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #90
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Muschamp is removed from everyone's list
Old 11-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #91
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Mack Brown is 57 years old, has he said that he might be retiring in a few years? He has a contract that nets him $3m+ per year through 2016, the team obviously has performed well in recent years, I mean he seems to have a pretty good thing going...

Last edited by Big Fo : 11-18-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #92
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Mack Brown is 57 years old, has he said that he might be retiring in a few years? He has a contract that nets him $3m+ per year through 2016, the team obviously has performed well in recent years, I mean he seems to have a pretty good thing going...

I think he'll coach another 8 years, until he's 65, the end of the current contract. But that's just my guess. He might end up coaching as long as Paterno or Bowden.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #93
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Bobby Johnson and Brian Kelly switch teams this off season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #94
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Despite Jim Mora's statement a couple weeks ago that he was "...not a candidate" for the UW job, there has remained a lot of buzz around him and now growing talk behind the scenes that he is the UW's top target and that the interest is mutual.

If it's not Mora, I suspect the next guy in line would by Kyle Whittingham. Jeff Tedford and Chris Peterson may get contacted at some point, but from what I've heard, it hasn't happened yet. Of course, it's highly doubtful Tedford would want to leave (though there does seem to be some growing discontentment with him by Bears fans). And there's a lot of buzz that Peterson, if he were to leave Boise, would prefer to go to Oregon. Bellotti may be getting closer to considering hanging them up, and if it's true that Peterson is in play for the Oregon job, perhaps Phil Knight will ratchet up the pressure on Bellotti and push him out the door to ensure that Peterson becomes the next Duck coach.

There's growing expectation that an announcement will come soon on the UW job, maybe in the next week. My money is on Mora.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #95
JHandley
High School Varsity

Quote:

There's growing expectation that an announcement will come soon on the UW job, maybe in the next week. My money is on Mora.

How much of your money?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #96
JHandley
High School Varsity

I'll up the ante here. I'm going to Casa D's in Bellevue for lunch. There's gotta be a way we can bet a super on this.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #97
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm basing this speculation on Mora on info from people I trust that are close to the UW program. There's obviously no guarantee Mora will take the job, but I have no doubts that the UW has him on the top of their wish list.

We don't know if or how much of a buyout clause exists in his Seahawks contract, and we don't know how pissed Paul Allen would be at the UW if Mora were to bolt (and after Allen has paid him handsomely this year as a head coach-in waiting). Allen has been a big-time contributor financially to the UW, so his feelings have to be considered, and it's assumed he'd have to be OK with Mora leaving the Seahawks before it could happen.

Further info from those close to Mora are that he's very definitely interested - it seems to be a case of whether the details can be worked out. Will the UW pay enough? Will they give Mora enough of a budget to hire the quality of assistants he'd want? Will they need to provide some assurances to Mora about Husky Stadium renovations and other facilities upgrades? Will Paul Allen give Mora's defection his blessing?

If it's not Mora, I'd suspect Kyle Whittingham is next on the list. UW AD Scott Woodward has talked about how Husky fans prefer great defense to great offense, and it seems likely that he's taking that into account in prioritizing his coaching targets.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #98
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
IWe don't know if or how much of a buyout clause exists in his Seahawks contract

Pro coaches don't generally have buyouts for them wanting to leave.

Their contracts only bind them to their NFL team - they cannot leave for another NFL job. They would not have to pay to leave and coach elsewhere.

Thus no need for buyouts written that way, only how much an NFL coach will get paid when they inevitably get fired.

Heavy rumors in the east that Edsall to SU is a done deal.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #99
JHandley
High School Varsity

That's a shame. The new crew at Casa D's is definitely better than the last.

I just can't see any way that a head coach quits an NFL gig to take a college one. I mean, sure, you've got your douchebags like Petrino, but they are few and far between.

The most likely scenerio that I see is UW hires someone like Pat Hill or Kyle Whittingham. That coach brings back the toughness that has been sorely missing. The program becomes relevant in the Pac 10 again, but in a short while the fans will want more.

About that time, Mora will be fired from the Seahawks after leading them to 9-12 wins in 3 years. UW will be in a much better place and ready for Mora to come back.

I think the love affair between Mora and the school is too big to ignore. Before it's all said and done, he will coach UW. It just won't be this year.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #100
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Rocky Long resigns from the New Mexico?

This is very surprising to me. I don't really have any inside info, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around as defensive coordinator. Its a program with some potential - they're in a big city with not much competition for entertainment, and play in a decent conference - but Long was the lowest paid coach in the Mountain West, so its hard to imagine they'd be able to afford anybody real good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm hearing a rumor that Hal Mumme has/is about to get canned at NMSU as well, but I can't find anything to confirm this...

He should be fired, he's been a disaster.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote