Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wha?

Since when do you know people who like their greatest rivals?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #52
Jas_lov
College Starter

I'm so glad to see that Brett Favre is somebody else's problem now. A year from now Favre was on top of the world and now word is out that nobody in the Jets locker room likes him. Thomas Jones wanted Favre benched for Kellen Clemens. Another Jets player called Favre "distant" which is what they called him in Green Bay too.

And now the Jets are going to lose out on Bill Cowher because Cowher doesn't want Favre on his team, and who can blame him? When Jets players support Mangini over Favre, Brett should probably just get the point and go away. Nobody wants this guy anymore.

Quote:
While the Jets hoped to woo Cowher with a boatload of money, the marriage appeared to be unlikely from the outset. Sources close to Cowher said he did not want to have Favre as his quarterback

Quote:
A source familiar with Cowher's thinking said before last night's decision came down that the former Steeler boss would have to receive assurances from the Jets that the 39-year-old Favre no longer was in the picture before agreeing to take control.

"There's no way he's taking Brett Favre as his quarterback," said one person close to Cowher.

BILL TELLS JETS LOOK ELSEWHERE; FAVRE TO BLAME? - New York Post
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #53
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cowher always hated There's Something About Mary.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #54
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

So if the Raiders end up with Gilbride as coach, think there is any chance Davis keeps Ryan in charge of the defense... and we all wait for a left hook to flatten Gilbride at some point? (Like father, like son!)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #55
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Boston College message boards are going nuts because apparently Chris Mortenson reported that Coach Jagodzinski would be fired if he interviews for the Jets job, which he is scheduled to do tomorrow.

Pretty crazy move from the BC brass, if true. Should be pretty hard to get a coach, with any kind of ambition whatsoever, if he is punished for interviewing for an NFL job.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #56
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

ooops wrong thread...

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-04-2009 at 09:08 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #57
Thomkal
Head Coach

One name I've not heard mentioned for any of the openings this season is Brian Billick. A bit surprising given his success in Baltimore over the years. I thought he'd be a fit for the Raiders actually. Didn't like him much as a coach, but kinda liked him as a play-by-play guy on Fox this season. Really explained things from a coaches point of view.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #58
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Oh chit. Marinelli is in Seattle as we speak interviewing for the Hawks D Coordinator position. Not sure how I feel about this, although he'd most likely be an upgrade over John Marshall. I'd rather he became the DLine coach...
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

Good news Packers fans-they have fired their defensive coordinator and 5 other coaches, 4 on the defensive side.

Bad news Vikings fans-the owners are not firing Childress or his staff.

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-05-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #60
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Oh chit. Marinelli is in Seattle as we speak interviewing for the Hawks D Coordinator position. Not sure how I feel about this, although he'd most likely be an upgrade over John Marshall. I'd rather he became the DLine coach...

he also interviewed with the Bears so maybe Seattle will be spared
Old 01-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #61
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The Packers also fired Rock Gullickson, a guy voted the NFL's 2007 strength and conditioning coach of the year, and a guy McCarthy brought in just to have his guy in that spot. Someone had to be the fall guy for the injuries I guess.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #62
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post

Marinelli has never been a DC and is married to the Tampa 2. He is a great DL coach, but as a DC, I question how good he'll be.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #63
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Lions are in a bind .. They would be a great job with a new GM, but the fact is this is not nearly ideal now with Mayhew and co in, so now the question is do you make a run at Vikes DC Leslie Frazier now, and not wait for the Titans to lose before seeing if you can get Schwartz, or do you risk getting Frazier (or Mularky or Bowels, as they seem to be the 3 big names besides Frazier) by waiting for Schwartz.

I'd rather have Schwartz, but I like Frazier, but if we wait, we may nto get either.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #64
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

As for the Packers DC spot, I guess it could be a worse time to need one...

Among the defensive coordinators available are former San Francisco coach Mike Nolan, former New York Jets coach Eric Mangini, former Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel and former Jacksonville defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, plus probably Jim Haslett, who likely won’t be retained as coach by the St. Louis Rams.

They may not have been great head coaches, but were some pretty good DCs.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #65
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
As for the Packers DC spot, I guess it could be a worse time to need one...

Among the defensive coordinators available are former San Francisco coach Mike Nolan, former New York Jets coach Eric Mangini, former Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel and former Jacksonville defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, plus probably Jim Haslett, who likely won’t be retained as coach by the St. Louis Rams.

They may not have been great head coaches, but were some pretty good DCs.

I assumed Moss would get the gig unless he gets the Rams job?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #66
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Eh, who knows right now I guess. He seems to do fine with the LBs. I just wonder if McCarthy rests half of his fate with a guy who has never been a DC since the Packer DC pretty much gets full control of that side of the ball. Hopefully Moss gets the Rams job before he gets tarnished by being the DC in GB.

Last edited by Cringer : 01-05-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #67
Travis
Pro Rookie

Marinelli being named DC in Seattle wouldn't be the end of the world. Sounds like Mora will either call plays or be heavily involved in that aspect of things. Either way, it'll be an upgrade over their last couple of DC's (can't get any worse anyway). I just really hope they go out and get a quality WR coach this offseason to work with all the young guys they have there. A couple of those guys have really high ceilings but nobody to show them how to get there.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #68
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Marinelli being named DC in Seattle wouldn't be the end of the world. Sounds like Mora will either call plays or be heavily involved in that aspect of things. Either way, it'll be an upgrade over their last couple of DC's (can't get any worse anyway). I just really hope they go out and get a quality WR coach this offseason to work with all the young guys they have there. A couple of those guys have really high ceilings but nobody to show them how to get there.

I think Marinelli can be a good DC if he's put on a leash. He is a great teacher and his players love him, I just am not sure how he'd call a game.

As far as WR coach, the one coach who currently is being retained by the Lions I hope we keep is Shawn Jefferson. He has worked wonders with Calvin.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #69
Travis
Pro Rookie

For good or ill I'm expecting Marinelli to Seattle given his front office ties. From what I've read it sounds like a good situation given that Mora will essentially be the true DC so Marinelli will be around more as a teacher and have input as to the game planning. With the talent Seattle has on D, they should be a top 15 D, top 10 if the offense is performing at a top 15 level to help keep them off the field. I still have some hope that Tubbs makes a comeback this year and gives them some more depth at DT (that'd give them 3 bonafide big body run stuffing DT's types) which should help counter act how quickly they wear down and keep linemen off of the line backers. They just really need somebody to come in and really coach up their young DE's (Tapp and Jackson) so that if Kerney goes down again they'll still have an outside pass rush. Sounds like that could be right up Marinelli's alley.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #70
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
For good or ill I'm expecting Marinelli to Seattle given his front office ties. From what I've read it sounds like a good situation given that Mora will essentially be the true DC so Marinelli will be around more as a teacher and have input as to the game planning. With the talent Seattle has on D, they should be a top 15 D, top 10 if the offense is performing at a top 15 level to help keep them off the field. I still have some hope that Tubbs makes a comeback this year and gives them some more depth at DT (that'd give them 3 bonafide big body run stuffing DT's types) which should help counter act how quickly they wear down and keep linemen off of the line backers. They just really need somebody to come in and really coach up their young DE's (Tapp and Jackson) so that if Kerney goes down again they'll still have an outside pass rush. Sounds like that could be right up Marinelli's alley.

I agree there. He did wonders with Cliff Avril this year, who became a monster once he got in the lineup.

He just needs Mora to facilitate what he wants because Marinelli's biggest flaw is as a HC he was too set in his ways. He is a great guy though and is hard not to respect.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #71
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

From what I've read, sounds like Nolan is probably going to be the pick. I don't think Moss was fired because it would not look good to be fired while interviewing.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #72
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
As far as WR coach, the one coach who currently is being retained by the Lions I hope we keep is Shawn Jefferson. He has worked wonders with Calvin.

Nothing against Jefferson, but I think that Chuck Hughes could probably coach Calvin & he would be a Pro Bowl caliber WR.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

ESPN is reporting Eric Mangini has signed a four year contract with the Browns.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #74
Travis
Pro Rookie

Seahawks hire Greg Knapp as OC. Funny part is on the Seahawk forums I frequent, the move seems to be receiving mostly negative reviews. The reason I say funny is because these are the same forums that were calling for first Holmgren, then whoever the new regime would be to institute a more smashmouth style offense that relies on the running game, one that most voices on those forums feel would be better suited to win in bad weather, on the road, etc.

So now they get an OC who consistantly has a top 10 running game and when he also working with a good QB (Garcia) had his overall offense in the top 10. With Atlanta (Vick) and Oakland (Russell) he maintained the rushing rank but the passing rank was pretty brutal and pulled the overall ranking down as well.

I see this as a pretty positive move given how involved with the D Mora will be, keeping things very similar to their time in Atlanta and San Fran. If Hasselbeck can be healthy by the start of next season I think he is at least on par and likely better than Garcia was when Knapp was in SF assuming they retain the WCO which seems to be Knapp's preference.

Now they just need a new DC, WR and ST coach. The more I think about it the more I hope they ink Marinelli as DC/DL Coach. With all the youth they have along the dline it'd be really nice to get somebody who can give them quality instruction.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #75
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
ESPN is reporting Eric Mangini has signed a four year contract with the Browns.

Good for him, and I think a good deal for both sides.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That the same Shawn Jefferson that played with the Chargers, I dunno, 10-20 years ago?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #77
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That the same Shawn Jefferson that played with the Chargers, I dunno, 10-20 years ago?

Yeah. The ex player of the 90's.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #78
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Per ESPN

Josh McDaniels has been hired as the Broncos Head Coach
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #79
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Not sure what happens with the other openings now but my guess:

Raiders - Cable

He wants to stay there. Not sure many want to go there.

Jets - Ryan

It's him or Spags it looks like. It just seems like Ryan is gaining steam, but the fact he's still in the playoffs and Spags is out could hurt his best chance ever as a candidate.

Lions - Schwartz

Meeting with Ford tomorrow for his second interview. It's him or Spags. Spags may get his second interview this week, but there could be other interest.

Rams - Frazier

I think he's emerging as the man there. Really become a hot candidate the last few weeks.

Chiefs - Ferentz

I think Pioli does end up getting the gig and hires the guy most rumored to be tied to him.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #80
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola

McDaniels is bringing Mike Nolan in as the DC. Great hire.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #81
JeeberD
General Manager

I was hoping this was bumped to say that Wade was gone...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #82
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wow. McDaniels is like 5 years old. That's surprising. I hope for the sake of Broncos fans that he isn't overrated (tons of success with a very talented QB and skill position players the past few years). I'd assume he isn't actually, just raising the possibility.

Like the guy though. Best of luck to him.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #83
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Tony Dungy is done?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #84
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Wow. McDaniels is like 5 years old. That's surprising. I hope for the sake of Broncos fans that he isn't overrated (tons of success with a very talented QB and skill position players the past few years). I'd assume he isn't actually, just raising the possibility.

Like the guy though. Best of luck to him.

What will be interesting is that none of Bill's proteges has done all that well since leaving. Will be interesting to see if Notre Dame picks up as Weiss hits the groove, and if Mangini can turn around Cleveland, but so far most of his assistants should have just stayed put...

Pioli is the one I'll REALLY miss if he goes to Kansas City.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #85
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sounds like Rex Ryans interview with the Jets has made him being HC a formality. The Jets will wait for him, even if it's after the SB.

It's very possible that the main target for many going into this year, Spags, is going to wind up back as the Giants DC.

Talk about luck for the Giants if true.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #86
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds like Rex Ryans interview with the Jets has made him being HC a formality. The Jets will wait for him, even if it's after the SB.

Well deserved opportunity for Rex Ryan
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #87
Travis
Pro Rookie

Seahawks sign a new DC and the name is a bit of a surprise. It's 42 year old Casey Bradley who was the LB coach with Tampa. Apparently Kiffin called Mora and lobbied for the guy who came in and had an absolutely fantastic interview. Seems like quite the youth movement on the coaching front as we now have Mora (47) at HC, Greg Knapp (45) as OC with Mike Solari (53) working with the offensive line (rest of the offensive coaching positions are still up in the air as far as I know). On D there is Bradley (42) as DC, Dan Quinn (38) as the defensive line coach/assistant head coach and Joe Barry (38) who'll coach the linebackers.

It is a bit unfortunate that they weren't able to lure Rathman in to be the RB coach but so far so good.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #88
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola

McDaniels is bringing Mike Nolan in as the DC. Great hire.

I missed this hire yesterday and just saw it checking Packer news. Packer top DC choice gone, very surprising, I guess Nolan and McCarthy aren't best buddies after all.

Now the Packer's #2 choice seems to be waiting to see if the Titans DC job opens up so he can go back to be their DC, that would be Gregg Williams.

The Packers haven't even interviewed anyone else yet besides those two guys according to reports. Moss isn't really a candidate, more like a guy who was kept around because he was being interviewed for HC jobs. I guess he could get a shot now though, even though reports say McCarthy wants someone with DC experience.

I hope this ends well, I am sure there are some good possible DCs out there. Hope McCarthy finds one though, his first pick didn't work out so well.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

Scott Pioli to KC and Herm Edwards is fired.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #90
Kodos
Resident Alien

Awesome. Glad to see Pioli leave the Patriots.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #91
gstelmack
Pro Starter

New England will miss Scott Pioli...
Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #92
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So what is his title, I guess it has to be a promotion in some way right? Or is it just going to be a bunch of $$ and a new challenge without B.B. that makes it a must make move from New England?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #93
Travis
Pro Rookie

Interesting as the Seahawks tried to throw a big pile of money at him to lure him away from NE a couple years ago. I'm guessing he's looking to really try and put his stamp on a rebuilding process that'll have him remembered separately from the NE championship runs.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #94
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Marinelli to the Bears as DL coach.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #95
rkmsuf
Head Coach

let's see this pioli guy operate without all the assistance
Old 01-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #96
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yikes! RKSmurf sighting!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #97
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yikes! RKSmurf sighting!

enjoying the dolphin playoff loss motivated me to resurface
Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #98
Kodos
Resident Alien

Enjoying the Dolphins winning the AFC East instead of the Patriots motivated me to stay.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #99
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Enjoying the Dolphins winning the AFC East instead of the Patriots motivated me to stay.

AND NOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED

AHAHAHHAAHAHAAHHAHAAHA
Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #100
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm still on a bit of a high from the Pat's Super Bowl choke.