Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I'm seriously debating as well.

Same here.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025

FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #52
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Last year, this game is the only reason I purchased a PS3. I'm an X-Box guy. Since buying it, I've discovered a couple great games, but I do still ultimately turn to my 360. I know that doesn't help you guys, but I will say the combination of The Show and Uncharted 1/2 for me have been worth it.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #53
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Last year, this game is the only reason I purchased a PS3. I'm an X-Box guy. Since buying it, I've discovered a couple great games, but I do still ultimately turn to my 360. I know that doesn't help you guys, but I will say the combination of The Show and Uncharted 1/2 for me have been worth it.

I'm pretty much sports only. I'd be baseball, football, maybe a golf.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #54
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post

Those are essentially the only games I've played as well but there are some nice PS3 games coming out in the next three months. I think the PS3 does a fantastic job of upscaling DVDs and Blu-Rays are excellent. I think people will get their money's worth if they want it bad enough.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #55
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm also in the boat of buying a PS3 last year just for The Show. I don't regret it, even though my 360 gets the most of my playing time, I've gotten many hours of fun out of The Show.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #56
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm also in the boat of buying a PS3 last year just for The Show. I don't regret it, even though my 360 gets the most of my playing time, I've gotten many hours of fun out of The Show.

+1
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #57
cougarfreak
College Starter

Alright, that does it, I'm all in as soon as I know for sure on my tax return (tonight). Wife says I should do it, so I'll return the favor, and surprise her with an ipod touch.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #58
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I bought the PS3 for this game last year and it was worth every penny. It is that good. There are some good PS3 exclusive games out there like Uncharted 2 and Infamous (which you can get real cheap on Ebay now).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #59
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I bought it two years ago for the 08 version. Since then, I do the majority of my gaming on the PS3 only so I won't have to deal with an RROD.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #60
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Wow...a lot of people here picked up a PS3 in 2009 (or '08 in one case) for this game alone.

I'm in the same boat. I also needed a Blu-ray player and I've been quite happy with the quality of the one that's built into the system. Since all I play is Baseball/Football/CoD, I decided that it was unnecessary to have a 360 (plus Live which is $50/year) and a PS3 at the same time. I wound up selling my 360 to some college kid and bundled in a bunch of controllers for $250 total. Since then I haven't even thought of my old 360.

The immersion factor for this game is unparalleled IMO. I've logged god knows how many hours into my RTTS careers, and I still play it almost every day.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-02-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #61
markprior22
High School Varsity

I just picked up a PS3 yesterday. I have a 360 that I'm happy with for the most part. The PS3 will be used mostly for The Show right now. Maybe things change down the road.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #62
Icy
Pro Starter

I purchased a PS3 in 2007 just for The Show, NCAA football and College hoops, as those games were either PS3 exclusive not available in Europe for Xbox360 that is not region free unlike the PS3.

After some time i ended selling the 360 as i only played with the PS3.

Btw, if you guys like online shooters with an strong tactical side, try MAG for the PS3, i'm really really hooked to it compared with how quick i got bored of the run&shoot l33t kids in COD:MW2.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #63
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I had thought of selling the 360 but I like their Live system a lot and for some reason their controller just feels much more natural in shooters. Does PS3 have a controller like that available?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #64
cougarfreak
College Starter

I bought a PS 3 last night, preordered MLB through amazon, and picked up Madden at Target today for $44.99, haven't played any Maddens in about 4 years.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #65
CraigSca
Pro Starter

This has been up for a couple days now...

MLB10 Gameplay Video

MLB 10: The Show Exclusive Gameplay Video from GameVideos
how do you know?

Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #66
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I had thought of selling the 360 but I like their Live system a lot and for some reason their controller just feels much more natural in shooters. Does PS3 have a controller like that available?

Not really. What you tend to see is that third party controllers hew closely to the model of the first party, so as to poach off a certain number of price-conscious consumers. Controllers that take a different design will tend to be much more niche in their market.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #67
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
This has been up for a couple days now...

MLB10 Gameplay Video

MLB 10: The Show Exclusive Gameplay Video from GameVideos

Wow. Just wow.

The lighting and dugout involvement looks like a big improvement over last year. Hard to tell much else off that short video.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #68
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I think it's safe to say I'm as excited about this years release as I have been for a video game in a long, long, LONG time.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #69
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

dola

One thing I do hope they fixed is the mispronunciation of any CPU created players by the announcers. It's not like they'd say "Brett Favre" instead of "Brett Farve"...it's more like they would say "Emilio Williamson" instead of "Brett Farve". It was kind of annoying.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #70
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
dola

One thing I do hope they fixed is the mispronunciation of any CPU created players by the announcers. It's not like they'd say "Brett Favre" instead of "Brett Farve"...it's more like they would say "Emilio Williamson" instead of "Brett Farve". It was kind of annoying.

Agreed. That was the biggest factor in killing my immersion in my RTTS career. Considering that was my biggest gripe, I'm excited to see what other improvements are in this year's version.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #71
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Another bug I hope they fix is the "in 45 games last year" stat overlay they have on some players throughout their entire careers, even though it should never be there after the first year.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-09-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #72
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait for this game either. Really looking forward to playing some exhibition games at the Polo Grounds. I'm a sucker for baseball history and playing at some of these parks with the graphics they offer is one of the features I'm really looking forward to.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #73
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think it's safe to say I'm as excited about this years release as I have been for a video game in a long, long, LONG time.

I'm just curious but did you buy MLB 09 last year? I did and while I enjoyed it a lot I'm on the fence about buying MLB 10 because it just doesn't seem that much better than the game I already own.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #74
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I'm just curious but did you buy MLB 09 last year? I did and while I enjoyed it a lot I'm on the fence about buying MLB 10 because it just doesn't seem that much better than the game I already own.

I did, and to this day I spend what is probably an unhealthy amount of time playing it. I'm excited about the RTTS logic tweaks as I'd like to see what it's like to be a closer. I'm also excited about the real-time presentation, as the cut scenes although they are nice they are a bit abundant now that I'm looking for it, which in turn takes away from the "at the park" feeling. The gameplay videos I've seen so far are IMO a vast improvement in that regard. Lets not forget the option to be able to watch your team finish out the game after you've been pulled. The list of improvements is more than enough for me.

The 1 month and 3 day wait between the March release date of The Show and Opening Day are going to absolutely fly by thanks to this game.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-09-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #75
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

Personally, I think the tweaks they make in this game are the "right" way to do it. EA typically sells some kind of "new fangled feature" and they concentrate on that while the gameplay continues to suffer (see NCAA for an example). MLB The Show does 99% of it right - so they can add subtle things like transitional lighting for day games, real time presentation and the ability to change the difficulty levels for pitching and hitting and I'm all over it.

I used to have two video game holidays a year - the Show (the first week in March) and NCAA (July). NCAA lost me this year, but the Show I continue to pre-order and it's never let me down.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 02-09-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #76
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did, and to this day I spend what is probably an unhealthy amount of time playing it. I'm excited about the RTTS logic tweaks as I'd like to see what it's like to be a closer. I'm also excited about the real-time presentation, as the cut scenes although they are nice they are a bit abundant now that I'm looking for it, which in turn takes away from the "at the park" feeling. The gameplay videos I've seen so far are IMO a vast improvement in that regard. Lets not forget the option to be able to watch your team finish out the game after you've been pulled. The list of improvements is more than enough for me.

The 1 month and 3 day wait between the March release date of The Show and Opening Day are going to absolutely fly by thanks to this game.

Have they come out and said the RTTS logic would be fixed for closers? I really wanted to be one last year but it just didn't allow you to be succesful with how it was setup. Would be the first career I'd do.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #77
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Have they come out and said the RTTS logic would be fixed for closers? I really wanted to be one last year but it just didn't allow you to be succesful with how it was setup. Would be the first career I'd do.

Yep...sure have
Old 02-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #78
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Personally, I think the tweaks they make in this game are the "right" way to do it. EA typically sells some kind of "new fangled feature" and they concentrate on that while the gameplay continues to suffer (see NCAA for an example). MLB The Show does 99% of it right - so they can add subtle things like transitional lighting for day games, real time presentation and the ability to change the difficulty levels for pitching and hitting and I'm all over it.

Fair enough. I agree that MLB 09 does "99% of it right" and so I guess the little tweaks to an already great game are good enough if the base product is that good to begin with. I'd rather have this be the case than a mediocre game with a "new fangled feature" which is nice but exists instead of fixes to problems which emerged in the previous game.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #79
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

New trailer tonight at 12:30 on SpikeTV.

Also, this was released last night showing off the new "Real-Time Presentation." Looks amazing!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #80
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just a weird thing about that video: On one of the scenes where the announcer says that will retire the side the catcher remains behind the plate and the players look like they are going back to their position...

Sorry, it just looked odd to me.

Probably a case of using the wrong announcer's clip.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #81
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Just a weird thing about that video: On one of the scenes where the announcer says that will retire the side the catcher remains behind the plate and the players look like they are going back to their position...

Sorry, it just looked odd to me.

Probably a case of using the wrong announcer's clip.

Yea, on OS of course everyone is riled up about it. If it is a glitch, I think it's the audio and not the players. More likely, it's just an artifact of different audio and video sources going into the video.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #82
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Yea, on OS of course everyone is riled up about it. If it is a glitch, I think it's the audio and not the players. More likely, it's just an artifact of different audio and video sources going into the video.

My guess is it's just related to how the video was put together. It just looked odd tome more than anything else but definitely nothing to get up in arms about. Unless we start seeing real gameplay and audio which start to look off. (not saying that wasn't real gameplay and audio, just that I suspect the audio was not taken from that video clip but rather they had a bunch of audio and video clips for use when they made that video and they didn't mix it properly on that occasion)
Old 02-12-2010, 11:43 PM   #83
MrDNA
High School Varsity

So I'm a little confused what the video is showing. Is it like the "Highlights" will be done in real time? If so, why is that a good thing? I feel like a sudden shift of perspective would screw me up.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #84
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Watched the show on Spike last night, didn't really get much from it about the game. Did, however, love the Splinter Cell stuff. Have preordered that game.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:42 AM   #85
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
So I'm a little confused what the video is showing. Is it like the "Highlights" will be done in real time? If so, why is that a good thing? I feel like a sudden shift of perspective would screw me up.

It has nothing to do with what happens while your playing. While there is a new fielding camera, "Broadcast Camera", the real-time presentation is basically eliminating cut scenes. Now, everything happens in real-time, with camera cuts to different parts of what's going on in-between plays.

The big view you see in the video is just there to show you that everything actually is happening in real-time. The PIP is what you'll see in-game, cutting to different players/views.

It will be fantastic.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #86
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

After watching that video I don't quite have a hardon...but I'm very close.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #87
sooner333
College Starter

I feel close to buying a PS3 and this game as a late birthday present to myself (partially from my parents). But, I feel like if I buy one, I let MBBF win.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #88
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I feel close to buying a PS3 and this game as a late birthday present to myself (partially from my parents). But, I feel like if I buy one, I let MBBF win.

As sick as this sounds, when I was in line waiting to pay for my PS3 a year or so ago, I was thinking the same exact thing. I'm not thrilled that during what should be a glorious moment for me, I'm slightly less happy because of some guy on FOFC.

MBBF, you're a real bastard.

In other news, does anybody remember the name of that Wild West game that came out a year or two ago? I remember it had a lot of cursing in it, and it got great reviews. Was that a 360 only title?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #89
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
As sick as this sounds, when I was in line waiting to pay for my PS3 a year or so ago, I was thinking the same exact thing. I'm not thrilled that during what should be a glorious moment for me, I'm slightly less happy because of some guy on FOFC.

MBBF, you're a real bastard.

In other news, does anybody remember the name of that Wild West game that came out a year or two ago? I remember it had a lot of cursing in it, and it got great reviews. Was that a 360 only title?

What did MBBF say?

The game is Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood and it's available for around $20 now. At least that's how much I paid a couple of months ago.

Last edited by samifan24 : 02-17-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #90
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
What did MBBF say?

The game is Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood and it's available for around $20 now. At least that's how much I paid a couple of months ago.

Bound in Blood is the sequel.

The original Call of Juarez was, I believe, 360-only.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #91
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Bound in Blood is the sequel.

The original Call of Juarez was, I believe, 360-only.

Bound in Blood came out last year so I guess he was referring to the original game.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post

It's not about winning. It's about having the ability to play what is probably the best sports game on ANY console up to this point.

Article about the new catcher mode being implemented this year. Looks like a lot of fun. Glad to see the catcher getting his due.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/...ling-the-game/
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #93
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Team ratings are out:

Indians are ranked dead last`

Overall, Defense, Pitching, Batting

Yankees--------1st, 6th, 1st, 1st
Red Sox--------2nd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
Phillies---------3rd, 5th, 7th, 3rd
Dodgers-------4th, 4th, 2nd, 10th
Rays----------5th, 8th, 12th, 5th
Braves--------6th, 22nd, 4th, 9th
Angels-------7th, 16th, 10th, 7th
Rockies------8th, 24th, 16th, 6th
Cubs----------9th, 26th, 9th, 8th
Rangers-----10th, 11th, 23rd, 4th
D’Backs-----11th, 27th, 5th, 13th
Twins------12th, 23rd, 11th, 11th
W.Sox--------13th, 7th, 6th, 18th
Giants-----14th, 21st, 13th, 16th
B.Jays-----15th, 10th, 25th, 12th
Cardinals--16th, 13th, 15th, 20th
Mets--------17th, 2nd, 22nd, 15th
Brewers----18th, 28th, 17th, 19th
Reds-------19th, 19th, 21st, 17th
Orioles----20th, 12th, 29th, 14th
Mariners----21st, 3rd, 19th, 22nd
Astros------22nd, 9th, 24th, 24th
Athletics---23rd, 17th, 8th, 30th
Tigers-----24th, 14th, 14th, 29th
Padres-----25th, 30th, 18th, 26th
Marlins----26th, 29th, 30th, 21st
Royals-----27th, 15th, 20th, 27th
Nationals--28th, 18th, 26th, 23rd
Pirates----29th, 20th, 27th, 25th
Indians----30th, 25th, 28th, 28th

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 02-19-2010 at 05:06 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #94
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

From the "Team ratings" thread I found this comment from Russel_SECA interesting...

Quote:
2. Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

Maybe others were aware of this but I assumed they used a program to get a base and then they were tweaked by human stat gurus.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #95
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Team ratings are out:

Indians are ranked dead last`

Overall, Defense, Pitching, Batting

Yankees--------1st, 6th, 1st, 1st
Red Sox--------2nd, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
Phillies---------3rd, 5th, 7th, 3rd
Dodgers-------4th, 4th, 2nd, 10th
Rays----------5th, 8th, 12th, 5th
Braves--------6th, 22nd, 4th, 9th
Angels-------7th, 16th, 10th, 7th
Rockies------8th, 24th, 16th, 6th
Cubs----------9th, 26th, 9th, 8th
Rangers-----10th, 11th, 23rd, 4th
D’Backs-----11th, 27th, 5th, 13th
Twins------12th, 23rd, 11th, 11th
W.Sox--------13th, 7th, 6th, 18th
Giants-----14th, 21st, 13th, 16th
B.Jays-----15th, 10th, 25th, 12th
Cardinals--16th, 13th, 15th, 20th
Mets--------17th, 2nd, 22nd, 15th
Brewers----18th, 28th, 17th, 19th
Reds-------19th, 19th, 21st, 17th
Orioles----20th, 12th, 29th, 14th
Mariners----21st, 3rd, 19th, 22nd
Astros------22nd, 9th, 24th, 24th
Athletics---23rd, 17th, 8th, 30th
Tigers-----24th, 14th, 14th, 29th
Padres-----25th, 30th, 18th, 26th
Marlins----26th, 29th, 30th, 21st
Royals-----27th, 15th, 20th, 27th
Nationals--28th, 18th, 26th, 23rd
Pirates----29th, 20th, 27th, 25th
Indians----30th, 25th, 28th, 28th

Yes I'm a Tribe fan but sorry, how can they be ranked behind the likes of Washington, San Diego and Kansas City? The Indians don't have any pitching but their offense should easily be above average in the AL.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #96
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Braves in 9th for hitting, man I wish that were near the truth irl. Of course I'll be downloading rosters for the franchise mode anyway, gotta have the minor league guys like Heyward (and maybe a tweak or two by me to make sure he's as uber as he should be).
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #97
cougarfreak
College Starter

That's kind of goofy, for example, the Blue Jays pitching is 10th, but w/l Halladay, they'd be a lot lower.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #98
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Braves in 9th for hitting, man I wish that were near the truth irl. Of course I'll be downloading rosters for the franchise mode anyway, gotta have the minor league guys like Heyward (and maybe a tweak or two by me to make sure he's as uber as he should be).

You think he'll be starting the year on the minor league roster? IMO, he shouldn't be, but we'll see.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #99
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
You think he'll be starting the year on the minor league roster? IMO, he shouldn't be, but we'll see.

If he's never had an MLB appearance, can he be on the game? I thought only MLB guys were part of the MLBPA and that's who makes it on. Scabs during the strike or guys that aren't part of the MLBPA are never on video games. But I'm not sure what the case will be with Heyward re: his playing time irl or whether he'll be on the game.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #100
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
If he's never had an MLB appearance, can he be on the game? I thought only MLB guys were part of the MLBPA and that's who makes it on. Scabs during the strike or guys that aren't part of the MLBPA are never on video games. But I'm not sure what the case will be with Heyward re: his playing time irl or whether he'll be on the game.
If he's on the 40-man roster, doesn't he get included as well?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote