Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #51
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Odds are, the PS3 won't have a GOTY candidate in the top 5.

Lair and ....

Top 5? Try Top 10.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
He's proclaimed that it has a chance to be game of the year. MJ4H is not dramatic enough to make bold predictions. Eagles is making a prediction, nothing more, nothing less.

Odds are, the PS3 won't have a GOTY candidate in the top 5.

I'm not totally sure about that, but after the Lair debacle, it certainly puts that much more pressure on the 9 PS3 exclusives that are upcoming this fall to perform well. I do think top 5 is much more important than picking one specific game.

With that said, I think this fall will be embarassing if the 360 doesn't get at least 4 of the 5 best fall games. With their head start, there's no reason that they shouldn't put up that kind of a performance over the other two consoles. They're going to have much stiffer competition with the franchise titles coming for the PS3 next year. They don't have nearly the competition this fall.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-17-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
With that said, I think this fall will be embarassing if the 360 doesn't get at least 4 of the 5 best fall games. With their head start, there's no reason that they shouldn't put up that kind of a performance over the other two consoles. They're going to have much stiffer competition with the franchise titles coming for the PS3 next year. They don't have nearly the competition this fall.

I love how you cover yourself with that first sentence of this paragraph..

Also, I was just making a prediction. One that I feel is a very safe prediction because Bioware has enough pull in the industry to not be rushed and to dictate their release schedule. They delivered with KOTOR 1, and it looks like this is going to be a huge hit. But yes, that is just a prediction

Edit: One more "bold" prediction: With the influx of great exclusives to the 360, and the lack of quality exclusives for the PS3 that are going to be out this year, I think the 360 extends its lead over the PS3 by at least another million in the USA over this holiday season (counting the 130-140k that it gained this month.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-17-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #54
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not totally sure about that, but after the Lair debacle, it certainly puts that much more pressure on the 9 PS3 exclusives that are upcoming this fall to perform well. I do think top 5 is much more important than picking one specific game.

Huh? That's like the ramblings of a lunatic.

1) the 360 does have competition this year. It's from the Wii. Mario Galaxy and Metroid are both candidates for top five. Any other surprise hit could sneak in there, especially with the base.

2) The 360 has one A+++ title in Bioshock. They have another on the way next week with Halo. They'll have another in Mass Effect. All will be better than anything the PS3 releases this year. (yes, that's a prediction)

3) The PS3 may have some big exclusives coming out next year, but the 360 will too. MS didn't rush all the big hits out this holiday season, they just happened to hit at the same time. Rest assured, neither the 360 or the Wii are going to give up next year just cause big, bad Sony has an FF game coming out. At this time last year had you heard of Bioshock? If you had, did you think it would hbe a GOTY candidate?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #55
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Extended preview of Mass Effect from IGN (there are potentially some minor plot spoilers from early in the game)

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/820/820296p1.html

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-17-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #56
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
While I realize you're just fanning the flames with your last comment, there are a lot of games yet to come this year. Probably a bit premature to annoint a game that hasn't even come out yet. Heck, MattJones4Heisman has already proclaimed Mario Galaxy as the GOTY. Mass Effect has to get in line evidently.......

what?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #57
MikeVic
Head Coach

I played Warhawk on the PS3 over the weekend at a friend's house, and it was alright. Fighting in the warhawks was cool. But I suck at console FPS, so I wasn't having too much fun. The only other games he has right now are Resistance and Rainbow Six... so yeah, I don't play it much.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #58
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I love how you cover yourself with that first sentence of this paragraph..

Also, I was just making a prediction. One that I feel is a very safe prediction because Bioware has enough pull in the industry to not be rushed and to dictate their release schedule. They delivered with KOTOR 1, and it looks like this is going to be a huge hit. But yes, that is just a prediction

Edit: One more "bold" prediction: With the influx of great exclusives to the 360, and the lack of quality exclusives for the PS3 that are going to be out this year, I think the 360 extends its lead over the PS3 by at least another million in the USA over this holiday season (counting the 130-140k that it gained this month.)

Difficult to argue against anything you said here. Certainly makes sense. Sony has to prove something before you can expect something. While MGS4, FF13, GT5 and KH3 will all score major points next year, Sony is hoping on the sleeper hits this fall. Singstar (feel free to laugh as most of us will not buy it) is the only guaranteed hit. It sells like crazy in the EU and Japan. They're hoping that it will take off in North America in this iteration, but I doubt it will.

Also, I'm assuming your prediction on sales is predicated on the PS3 price remaining at $499. If so, then I agree.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-17-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #59
astrosfan64
College Prospect

The Wii is over-rated.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #60
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
The Wii is over-rated.

Too easy.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Former Sega PR man selected as new PR man for Sony......

Quote:
If you've been a fan of Sega's for a while, you'll have heard the name of Scott Steinberg. He was the former Marketing VP of Sega in its heyday and will now replace Dave Karraker as head of Sony PR. He'll report to Peter Dille and be responsible for all PlayStation hardware, software, and channel marketing as of October 1st. Steinberg, in addition to Sega, has worked for multiple different companies including Roxio/Napster, Liquid Audio, Eidos Interactive and Crystal Dynamics. He worked with Sega during the Genesis days, evaluating development and licensed properties.

Peter Dille released his thoughts on the new hire, saying "We are thrilled to have Scott join our team as he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the PlayStation marketing staff and the management group here at SCEA. Scott has an ideal blend of experience in digital entertainment and content delivery as well as a proven track record for strategic innovation and implementation within this industry. He will be a critical component for the success of our marketing efforts across the PlayStation brand moving forward."
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #62
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Too easy.

astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #63
Groundhog
Coordinator

Scott Steinburg just took the gaming world's version of the Oakland Raiders head coaching position.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #64
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Scott Steinburg just took the gaming world's version of the Oakland Raiders head coaching position.
Sony PR lookin' good Pre-Release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #65
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I find this monthly debating to be extremely hilarious.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #66
MJ4H
Coordinator

I find your wardrobe to be extremely hilarious.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #67
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Not my fault you do not like mesh shirts.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #68
MJ4H
Coordinator

Actually, I think it is kinda your fault.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #69
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

ok, that was a good come back.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #70
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Tell me how MHF2 plays without the multiplayer option. I was under the impression that its replayability relied on the fact that the console version had the multiplayer.

MHF2 does have multiplayer. It is up to 4 players over local wifi.

I actually don't like the multiplayer game play in Monster Hunter for the PS2, and haven't attempted a multiplayer mission in probably over 2 years. At least for me, the PS2 version of Monster Hunter is fun using just single player missions. And, MHF2 looks to have quite a bit more single player content than MH did.

Now, while I enjoy playing the Monster Hunter games, I definitely would not recommend it to someone that wants to play a hack and slash game. Most Monster Hunter missions require more strategy than going up to a monster and hitting your attack button over and over. Also, the camera controls and player controls, at least in Monster Hunter, required a bit of practice before I felt comfortable using them. The controls in MHF2 seem a bit easier; however, I still think some people won't like the camera controls.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #71
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like more specific info released concerning Square Enix and their upcoming releases has been leaked. Couple of intriguing titles. Not sure if the FFVII game will be a remake or a sequel. Also, a KH game for the DS. Here's the list.......

Quote:
- Endless Crisis: Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation 3)
- Final Fantasy XIII (PlayStation 3)
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PlayStation 3)
- Kingdom Hearts (temporary title) (PlayStation 3)
- Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories 2 (Nintendo DS)
- Kingdom Hearts 0 (PSP)
- Star Ocean 4 (PlayStation 3)
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #72
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Today Super Smash Bros. Brawl 4-player online was confirmed, awesome. Despite the Gamecube's rather dismal performance sales-wise last generation SSB: Melee was the second highest selling console game in the US behind Halo 2, this one ought to do even better even if it won't top Halo 3.

I don't have enough gaming time to support both handhelds (in addition to console and PC games) but when Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 comes out next year with 12 courses and what looks like 16 player online it could be hard to stop myself from buying one of the new PSPs. I want play Jeanne d'Arc as well.

There's so many good games coming out/already released in the second half of this year, it's awesome but there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day for them all.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #73
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Today Super Smash Bros. Brawl 4-player online was confirmed, awesome. Despite the Gamecube's rather dismal performance sales-wise last generation SSB: Melee was the second highest selling console game in the US behind Halo 2, this one ought to do even better even if it won't top Halo 3.

Excellent!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #74
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looks like more specific info released concerning Square Enix and their upcoming releases has been leaked. Couple of intriguing titles. Not sure if the FFVII game will be a remake or a sequel. Also, a KH game for the DS. Here's the list.......

Endless Crisis: FFVII? Probably a sequel. FFVII: Crisis Core is coming out on the PSP (already out in Japan), and it's a prequel to FFVII all the way up to the scene in midgard.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #75
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Today Super Smash Bros. Brawl 4-player online was confirmed, awesome.

Major league booya.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #76
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You forgot to list the 360 announcements they made including "Infininte Undiscovery" coming exclusively to the 360 soon. There are also supposed to be other square projects announced on the 360 in the near future.

http://www.square-enix.com/na/company/press/2007/0912/
Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #77
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
You forgot to list the 360 announcements they made including "Infininte Undiscovery" coming exclusively to the 360 soon. There are also supposed to be other square projects announced on the 360 in the near future.

http://www.square-enix.com/na/company/press/2007/0912/

I just cut and pasted what I received from someone. Didn't realize the information was incomplete. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #78
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just cut and pasted what I received from my boss at Sony. Didn't realize the information was incomplete. Thanks for the link.

Fixed that for ya.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #79
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bill Harris post concerning possible PS3 price cut announcements.........

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...tal-tokyo.html
Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just announced that Wipeout HD is now a fall 2007 release instead of 2008 release. Nice to see a PS3 game release date actually get moved up for once.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #81
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Seriously, do we have to get notified of every single rinky-dink PS3 reference that pops up on the Internet?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #82
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Seriously, do we have to get notified of every single rinky-dink PS3 reference that pops up on the Internet?

Yes.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

These threads are more worthless to the board than Werewolf ever was. I could give a shit about every small ps3 detail, they always pop up here like it's important.

Here is a memo...."Nobody gives a fuck."
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

according to someone's blog, the new version of the PS3 is rumored to run on 110w power.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

rumor has it that the 40 gig ps3 will also be black in color.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #86
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
rumor has it that the 40 gig ps3 will also be black in color.
Will it come with a controller? Or just a power cable. Do your sources know?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #87
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Will it come with a controller? Or just a power cable. Do your sources know?

I can't verify it yet, but according to some other blog, it will indeed.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #88
spleen1015
Coordinator

I read something interesting on Heaven's BLOG today.

God gave man free will. If they don't like what is in a thread, they can choose not to click on it.

How about that shit! I can start ignoring all of these threads now. I mean, damn, there are a lot of threads to read, but now I don't have to anymore.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The rumored 54 gig version of the ps3 will feature a built in hard drive.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #90
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It was one thing when these threads were actually about games, but now they just delve more and more into inane details about a PS3 that very few people give a fuck about. Almost like people are paid to post that garbage here....
Old 09-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #91
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

This week is likely going to be a bad week for that request. There's going to be a ton of news coming out of the Tokyo Game Show, mostly on Sony and Nintendo news. MS will have its day next week with the Halo release.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #92
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It was one thing when these threads were actually about games, but now they just delve more and more into inane details about a PS3 that very few people give a fuck about. Almost like people are paid to post that garbage here....

It seems just as silly that most people would rather post lengthy complaints that add little to the discussion rather than post more info about the 360 and Wii. It's nice when people like SackAttack and EF27 put up news about some of the new stuff coming out. MJ4H does a good job pointing out Wii stuff as well. Wish other people would do that more often.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #93
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It seems just as silly that most people would rather post lengthy complaints that add little to the discussion rather than post more info about the 360 and Wii. It's nice when people like SackAttack and EF27 put up news about some of the new stuff coming out. MJ4H does a good job pointing out Wii stuff as well. Wish other people would do that more often.

When someone only posts updates about 1 console or 1 game, you get labled a fanboy and in the world of message boards, that means everything posted by that person is taken with a grain of salt (at best).

If this message board became:

Sack/EF27 - 360
Mizzou - PS3
MJ4H - Wii

Then people would more than likely continue to rely out their own info or wait for someone else to post about it because when you cram info down people's throats that is obviously one-sided, its as good as posting nothing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #94
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
This week is likely going to be a bad week for that request. There's going to be a ton of news coming out of the Tokyo Game Show, mostly on Sony and Nintendo news. MS will have its day next week with the Halo release.

Especially when you blatantly post half the news like you did with the Square stuff, completely ignoring their 360 announcements and waiting for someone else to post them instead. It's not like that news was hiding somewhere.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #95
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
It seems just as silly that most people would rather post lengthy complaints that add little to the discussion rather than post more info about the 360 and Wii.

No one else wants to hear every single piece of news in the gaming industry. We all read the web, too. If there is something big, fine, but we don't need a blow-by-blow recap of every press release coming out of TGS.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #96
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Some suggestions:

1) Mizzou, start a blog for PS3 news and post to it. Throw the link in here and let those who want to read it add it to their feeds.
2) Start a seperate thread called "PS3 Information" or perhaps "Alrighty Boyz Here It Is The Official Video Game Console News Update Thread!!!!" and post these kinds of things in there, leaving this thread (and it's successors) to talk more about the sales numbers and what they mean.

That said, you guys are a little over the top in your hatred for his posts. I mean, I like to poke fun at the guy for his blinders, but he's not breaking any rules or even out-and-out trolling as far as I can tell.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #97
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

You have people in the same thread that only post 360 crap, and the only thing they post about the PS3 are fuckups - so nobody can rag on just one guy.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #98
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I'm glad all this console talk is compressed in one thread, though. It wouldn't do to clutter the board with discussions about either console, specially when only a minority of board members actually care about them.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #99
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Just announced that Wipeout HD is now a fall 2007 release instead of 2008 release. Nice to see a PS3 game release date actually get moved up for once.

Eh, I'm more concerned when a release date moves up than when one moves back.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #100
MJ4H
Coordinator

i admit im a ninty fanboy at least