Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #51
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

How the hell do you forget water on a water ride? Plus, at 2:30 in the afternoon.. was it shut down for maintenance and then reopened? (I'd imagine this was the first family down...)

That or a really really fat person went down and displaced all the water out of the basin...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #52
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
This has great potential to become an ongoing forum quest for rkmsuf. May I be the first to suggest a dedicated thread in the Dynasty section? "My Crusade Against Thrill Ride Injuries" has a nice ring to it, though I suspect he could work in a movie quote and make it even wittier.

It is my density.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #53
Drake
assmaster

Wow. When I got up this morning, I said to myself "Self, I'll bet there is a zero percent chance you will read a message board today where someone makes an obscure Back to the Future reference."

Now I owe myself $20. Thanks a lot, rkmsuf!
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #54
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Old 06-29-2005, 08:36 AM   #55
rkmsuf
Head Coach

This is like an onion. The more you peel, the more it stinks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Popular Six Flags ride shut down
Chuck Squatriglia, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A popular ride at Six Flags Marine World in Vallejo remains closed today as park officials and state regulators try to determine why it left a 7-old-girl feeling nauseated and numb.
Investigators with Cal OSHA spent Monday testing and inspecting the park's Hammerhead Shark ride, which swings like a pendulum before sending riders on a 360-degree whirl, after shutting it down first thing Sunday morning.

Park spokesman Paul Garcia said park officials received a call from authorities at San Francisco General Hospital who said they were treating a girl who said she had a headache, nausea and numbness. The girl told doctors she'd spent Saturday at Six Flags, Garcia said, and the attraction she described riding matched the Hammerhead Shark.

"We voluntarily suspended operation of the ride and notified Cal OSHA," Garcia said.

Park officials inspected and tested the ride Sunday and found nothing wrong with it, but notified Cal OSHA -- as is standard procedure, Garcia said. The ride will remain closed until Cal OSHA approves reopening it, Garcia said.

Cal OSHA has not released its findings, and agency officials could not be reached for comment this morning.

The Hammerhead Shark was installed in 1996 and has had no history of problems, Garcia said.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 06-29-2005 at 08:37 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let me get this straight ... a 7 y/o rode something that "swings like a pendulum before ... a 360 degree whirl" ... and there's curiosity about why she was experiencing nausea?

Damn, only in California.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:58 AM   #57
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No kidding. It would think that itdoesn't take too much to get nauseous on a ride like that...for instance, if you've either just eaten or not eaten at all, or factoring in heat, it wouldn't be a surprise for anyone, regardless of age, to experience nausea. Next thing you know, they're going to report that this kind of ride gives people an "unknown dizzy feeling."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #58
DanGarion
Coordinator

I get sick feeling before the ride, does that mean I can get them to shut it down before I ride it?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #59
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
This is like an onion. The more you peel, the more it stinks.

O, for a rolleyes smiley. Oh wait, we have one:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 PM   #60
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Believe me now and hear me later.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:43 PM   #61
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Investigators with Cal OSHA spent Monday testing and inspecting the park's Hammerhead Shark ride, which swings like a pendulum before sending riders on a 360-degree whirl, after shutting it down first thing Sunday morning.

There are like a thousand of these rides on the Jersey Shore alone...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #62
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...home-headlines
An autopsy this afternoon did not reveal any obvious cause of death, such as trauma. The office now will do more tests on the boy to determine exactly what caused the death -- a process that could take four to 12 weeks.

Sounds eerily normal. A friend of mine who died entering his sophomore year of high school, passed away in his sleep from unknown causes. It was later found in that 4-12 week period that he had a very rare heart condition where fat was growing where it wasn't supposed to.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #63
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Is the ride still closed or is it operational now?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #64
Dutch
"Dutch"

Speaking of dying at DisneyWorld. I almost died while experiencing "Alien Encounter". Jesus, that was the scariest damn thing I think I ever experienced. And when it sounded like the Alien was ripping apart somebody on the other side of the chamber and the teen-age girls started screaming. Talk about freaking out, I thought I was going to have heart-failure.

It was so bad for me that I simply had to wait in line and do it all over again.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:15 AM   #65
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Yes folks, they got another one. I'm organizing a march or something.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disneyland ride closed after woman becomes ill
Wed Jun 29, 2005 04:03 PM ET
Printer Friendly | Email Article | Reprints | RSS

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Disneyland closed the roller-coaster-style Matterhorn Bobsleds ride at its Anaheim, California theme park for about a day to investigate a 62-year-old Peruvian woman's complaints that she became ill while riding, authorities said on Wednesday.
The woman, whose name and condition were not made public, was taken to a hospital after experiencing dizziness and nausea at about 6 p.m. on Monday, Anaheim police spokesman Rick Martinez said. The ride was reopened at about 4 p.m. on Tuesday, a Disneyland spokesman said.

The incident came about two weeks after a young boy died after going on a space ride at Walt Disney World in Florida.

In an unrelated case, the California Supreme Court ruled earlier this month that the Walt Disney Co and other theme park owners have a heightened duty to ensure the safety of guests on rides.

That ruling clearing the way for the family of a 23-year-old woman to sue Disney over a fatal brain injury that came after she rode the Indian Jones ride during her 2000 honeymoon.

On Monday, the Peruvian woman rested for about an hour at the park's medical station but was taken by paramedics to a nearby hospital when her condition did not improve, Maria Sabol, Anaheim Fire Department spokeswoman said. The woman's condition was not immediately available on Wednesday.

Disney officials said in a statement that the ride was closed for about 24-hours so that it could be inspected by state health and safety officials.

"We are concerned for the health of this guest and our first priority is to ensure that she gets the care she needs," the statement said.

hxxp://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=8931889
Old 06-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #66
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes folks, they got another one. I'm organizing a march or something.

My girlfriend got clausterphobic/sick feeling when we took a tour in a cave at Sequoia National Park this weekend. I think they should close it down now.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-30-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Once again, a serious example of "WTF did you expect to experience on this ride"?

Maybe it's time for Disney, et al to start screening the rank idiots at the gate.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #68
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Once again, a serious example of "WTF did you expect to experience on this ride"?

Maybe it's time for Disney, et al to start screening the rank idiots at the gate.
Come on man it's Disney's fault. Just like I'm going to sue the National Parks Service because my gf got sick feeling, oh and Mother Nature!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #69
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Let's see.. articles on a 7 year old, 62 year old and the original was what.. a 5 year old?

Umm.. aren't there signs about dangers for the young and old??

Ohh.. wait a minute. I'm feeling kinda sick right now.. Skydog, please close this forum down for 24 hours.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #70
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the recent death and increased visibility and possiblity of liability. Everyone's just being super cautious because it's a lightning rod right now.

SI

Old 07-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #71
rkmsuf
Head Coach

the truth must be told
Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #72
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
the truth must be told
I'm waiting.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #73
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
I'm waiting.

Come on, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #74
Ksyrup

Autopsy shows boy died at Disney from heart condition

Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. - The death of a 4-year-old boy after he went on a rocket-ship ride at Walt Disney World was caused by abnormal cardiac rhythms from a heart condition that he apparently had since birth, according to an autopsy released Tuesday.

Daudi Bamuwamye died after riding "Mission: Space" in June. He had an abnormality of the heart muscle called idiopathic myocardial hypertrophy, with fibroelastosis of the left ventricle, the Orange County Medical Examiner's Office said.

"People with this condition are at risk for sudden death throughout their life due to abnormal electrical heart rhythms," the medical examiner's office said. "This risk could be increased under physical or emotional stressful situations. This condition may also eventually lead to heart failure."

The $100 million Epcot ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death but reopened after company engineers concluded it was operating normally.

"Mission: Space" spins riders in a giant centrifuge that subjects them to twice the normal force of gravity, and it is so intense that some riders have been taken to the hospital with chest pain.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #75
Ksyrup

Quote:
the truth must be told

You can't handle the truth.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:47 AM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
I predict it will turn out this kid had a not-yet diagnosed heart issue.

Got any lottery numbers I should consider?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #77
Ksyrup

Should have asked him back in June.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 AM   #78
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Is rkmsuf for real?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #79
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Is rkmsuf for real?

massive coverup.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #80
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
massive coverup.
I think that's your best hope.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #81
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I think that's your best hope.

They've got the water parks now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teen drowns at Gillian's water park
(Friday, September 2, 2005) - At Gillian's Wonderland Pier and Island Water Park in Ocean City, New Jersey, a 14-year-old girl drowned in a ten-foot-deep pool at the end of a water slide called Shot Gun Falls. She was unconscious when lifeguards pulled her from the water. Attempts to revive the girl were unsuccessful. The victim went into cardiac arrest and was rushed to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The edge of the slide is raised six feet above the surface of the pool. The park's website says that the ride is "for the more adventurous."

Police are investigating.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #82
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Got any lottery numbers I should consider?

Only if it's a one-number lottery with one ball (which is how obvious I considered my prediction to be).
Old 11-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #83
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Someone drowned in the Atlantic ocean a few weeks ago... I think we should shut that down. Actually if I think about it the should have shut it down after the sinking of the Titanic... heads should roll for this!!!!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:35 AM   #84
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Ah - ha! They got Canada now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy drowns in theme park wave pool
(Sunday, August 7, 2005) - A 12-year-old boy drowned in a wave pool at the Magic Mountain water park in New Brunswick, Canada. He was found floating in the park's wave pool. Lifeguards pulled his body from the water, but were unable to revive him. He was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead several hours later.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #85
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:

And I'm part of it!!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #86
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
And I'm part of it!!

Stay out of the wave pool dude.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:31 PM   #87
Ksyrup

Quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy drowns in theme park wave pool
(Sunday, August 7, 2005) - A 12-year-old boy drowned in a wave pool at the Magic Mountain water park in New Brunswick, Canada. He was found floating in the park's wave pool. Lifeguards pulled his body from the water, but were unable to revive him. He was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead several hours later.

Canada in August...hmmm....I'm going on record as predicting he got bumped on the head by an iceberg.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #88
Ksyrup

They need a study to figure this shit out? No one made this link before, they just threw it on the warning signs for shits and giggles?

Roller coasters raise risk in heart patients: study
1 hour, 25 minutes ago

Keep your hands inside the cars may not be enough warning for people with heart disease who want to ride roller coasters, a new study presented on Wednesday found.

"The rising heart rate in riders with pre-existing heart disease could result in heart attack, irregular heart rhythms and possibly sudden cardiac death," said Dr Jurgen Kuschyk, who presented the findings of his study at the American Heart Association's annual scientific sessions.

The German study of 37 men and 18 women volunteers with no heart disease and average age of 28 found heart rates increased dramatically both during and after the ride to an extent that could cause arrhythmias, or a dangerous irregular heart beat, in some people.

Forty-four percent of the participants had marked heart rhythm irregularities that lasted up to five minutes after their ride on the Expedition GeForce roller coaster at Holiday Park in Hassioch, Germany, researchers said.

People with high blood pressure, a previous heart attack, an implanted pacemaker or defibrillator and those with heart disease should not ride roller coasters, the researchers said.

Kuschyk, a cardiologist from University Hospital in Mannheim, Germany, suggested that roller coaster operators keep a defibrillator on hand.

"A lot of people don't know they have heart disease, yet they are riding roller coasters," he said.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #89
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The Germans know what the f*ck they are doing.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:06 PM   #90
Ksyrup

Yeah, they know what everyone else knew decades ago, it seems.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #91
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Uh, I'm pretty sure that every roller coast I've ridden has a "people with heart conditions should not be within a mile of this aparatus" type sign.

SI

Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #92
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Uh, I'm pretty sure that every roller coast I've ridden has a "people with heart conditions should not be within a mile of this aparatus" type sign.

SI

Shhh! Don't tell the Germans!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #93
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Shhh! Don't tell the Germans!

Ah, but now they have proof!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #94
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Horst: {threatingly} We Germans aren't all smiles und sunshine.
Burns: {recoils in mock horror} Oooh, the Germans are mad at me. I'm so scared! Oooh, the Germans! {hiding behind Smithers} Uh oh, the Germans are going to get me!
Horst: Stop it!
Man 2: Stop, sir.
Burns: Don't let the Germans come after me. Oh no, the Germans are coming after me.
Man 2: Please stop the `pretending you are scared' game, please.
Horst: Stop it! Stop it!
Burns: {brief pause, then resumes} No! They're so big and strong!
Man 2: Stop it.
Horst: Stop it, Mr. Burns.
Man 2: Please stop pretending you are scared of us, please, now.
Burns: Oh, protect me from the Germans! The Germans...
Horst: Burns, STOP IT!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-16-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #95
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Turkish: Well the rabbit gets fucked.
Tommy: [pauses] Proper fucked?
Turkish: Yes, before "Zee Germans" get there.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #96
Ksyrup

Quote:
Ah, but now they have proof!

If Hasselhoff had a heart condition, the Germans would've been all over this shit much earlier.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #97
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
If Hasselhoff had a heart condition, the Germans would've been all over this shit much earlier.

True. Just the mere distraction of Hasseloff has set the German research back decades. He commands a tremedous amount of resources over there.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #98
wade moore
lolzcat

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/29/coa...ath/index.html

Quote:
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 12-year-old boy died on a roller coaster at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.
Disney could not be reached for comment, and few details were available.
The boy was unresponsive in his seat at the end of the Rock 'N' Roller coaster ride, said Terry McElroy of the Florida Department of Agriculture, which regulates the industry.
The boy was given CPR and taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Authorities don't know at this time if he was riding by himself or with family members.
The incident occurred at 11:30 a.m. Disney reported the accident to Florida police at 1 p.m.
Disney shut down the ride and an inspector was on site to observe the Disney investigation. The Orange County Sheriff's Office is conducting an investigation as well.
Disney boasts of the ride on its Web site, "Zoom from 0-60 mph with the force of a supersonic F-14, take in high-speed loops and turns synchronized to a specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack and zip through Tinseltown in the biggest, loudest limo you've ever seen."
One month ago, another child died on the Disney ride "Mission Space" at the Epcot Center.

I hadn't seen the one on "Mission Space" from a month ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #99
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/29/coa...ath/index.html

I hadn't seen the one on "Mission Space" from a month ago...

preach on brotha. Yeah, everyone is cut out for the experience of an F-14.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #100
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
I predict it will turn out this kid had a not-yet diagnosed heart issue.

First thing I thought after I read the article.