Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #901
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I watched the Messier ceremony for about 20 minutes. I didn't even know that it was happening tonight. When I first turned it on, I thought I was watching a commercial. By the time I figured out what was up, I was hooked. I missed the first 6 minutes of the third period between the Devils and Penguins because of it. It was really cool.

They brought out all of the other five Oilers who'd had their numbers retired, and as the PA announcer was naming them, I thought to myself, "There's no way Gretzky's gonna be there." Stupid me. I was so caught up in the ceremony that I'd forgotten that Gretzky had to be in the building, since the Coyotes were there. Durr.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #902
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Corrected. Ya, it wasnt a deadline deal, but I don't really think Anaheim needs to change anything.

Don't forget the immortal third defensive pairing now of Ric Jackman and Kent Huskins.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a good team. But the three things we didn't need when we are clearly one of the challengers for the cup were a) another slow power forward (and a very injury prone one at that) b) a fourth string goalie who is probably way too inconsistent to ever be a starter and c) a mid first round pick. And to get those three things we gave up a very consistent NHL ready 23 year old defenseman when we had screw all depth behind him. And every other challenger in the conference got better... our nearest division rivals significantly so.

If the Ducks don't win it this year (and now I don't see anyway they get out of the West) then they fucked up big time, because there is never going to be a season where all five of Giguere, McDonald, Selanne, Niedermayer and Pronger are playing as well as they are right now.

If Pronger or Niedermayer gets hurt, the Ducks will lose in the first round of the playoffs.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #903
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Apparently various GMs are upset because the Oilers traded Smyth without making it known he was on the trade block. Some are saying they would have given up more.

What is this, the RWBL?

FWIW, TSN originally said this, and has since retracted this comment about a number of NHL GMs came out and said it was common knowledge that Smyth was available.

TSN just didn't know because they were too wrapped up in potential block buster moves by the Maple Leafs.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:03 AM   #904
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I watched the Messier ceremony for about 20 minutes. I didn't even know that it was happening tonight. When I first turned it on, I thought I was watching a commercial. By the time I figured out what was up, I was hooked. I missed the first 6 minutes of the third period between the Devils and Penguins because of it. It was really cool.

They brought out all of the other five Oilers who'd had their numbers retired, and as the PA announcer was naming them, I thought to myself, "There's no way Gretzky's gonna be there." Stupid me. I was so caught up in the ceremony that I'd forgotten that Gretzky had to be in the building, since the Coyotes were there. Durr.

Actually, several of Messier's former teammates are involved with both the Oilers and Coyotes and oddly enough...they are both going to miss the playoffs this year...hmmmm.

As much as I wanted to be in the building for the Messier stuff...I can't help but think that at least half of the fans were thinking of leaving after the second intermission.

So, just a recap...the Islanders picked up a first line winger and a top 4 defenseman for what?? A first round pick...a Russian who reportedly doesn't want to leave Russia...Kent Nilsson's kid who was drafted in the first round 4 years ago and still hasn't panned out but does have the same birthday as me...and O'Marra, another first round pick who is still playing in the OHL and averaging a point a game...good stuff. Again, two guys who play 20 minutes a game for 3 guys and a pick who won't play a single minute this season in the NHL and probably not next year either...if ever. Heck, we don't even have an affiliated minor team of our own to groom these guys...we've got guys on several different teams...nice.

I sure hope Lowe has something up his sleeve other than his elbow because I just don't get it.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #905
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Smyth will more than likely resign in EDM after the season.

How do you see it that way? If Kevin Lowe says he really couldn't afford him, why would he really be able to afford him suddenly in July? And why would Ryan Smyth give them even more of a discount than he was already offering them after getting a chance to play the open market? Now that the mystique of being an Oiler forever has been broken, there's no reason he won't take offers from everyone on July 1, unless the Islanders offer him big money (but even then I bet he waits for UFA now). Maybe Lowe was right and Smyth isn't worth what he thinks he is, but most GMs have lost this bet in recent years.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:26 AM   #906
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
So, just a recap...the Islanders picked up a first line winger and a top 4 defenseman for what?? A first round pick...a Russian who reportedly doesn't want to leave Russia...Kent Nilsson's kid who was drafted in the first round 4 years ago and still hasn't panned out but does have the same birthday as me...and O'Marra, another first round pick who is still playing in the OHL and averaging a point a game...good stuff. Again, two guys who play 20 minutes a game for 3 guys and a pick who won't play a single minute this season in the NHL and probably not next year either...if ever. Heck, we don't even have an affiliated minor team of our own to groom these guys...we've got guys on several different teams...nice.

It had seemed that Snow was in over his head, but he came out good when dealing with Lowe. He actually made it look like Lowe was paying him to take Bergeron, who despite his problems is more of an NHL player than the scrub they sent to Edmonton. Given what went down with Smyth, the Bergeron deal makes me feel even worse. He never made the team better in any trades after the season started this year, did he? I feel like we've gone back fifteen years in the development of the franchise in the span of a few weeks.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #907
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'd prefer Toby on the point to Sykora (Stoll is the best choice of course!) solely because he can do something defensively if the situation arises. Sykora has a hard enough time skating forwards let alone backwards. And, 8 goals in his last 40 games...yikes...he's not the answer.

As for chemistry with Hemsky...just don't get caught watching the show and expect a pass when you least expect it...there, that's how you play with Hemsky. Smyth had his stick on the ice and has a nose for the puck...that's they why they worked well together.

Well, for the rest of the season, I'd like to see Schremp called up...put on a line with Pouliot and maybe Sykora or Nedved and leave Horcoff with Hemsky and plugin in any of our plugger type wingers...heck, maybe even dress Winchester...he can usually mix it up enough to create a turnover or two...a la Ryan Smyth. MacT is going to have to let some of the young guys play and let them make mistakes before they learn how to get any better instead of watching from the pressbox or the end of the bench.

We miss Toby in Pittsburgh! Never forget his one career HT playing alongside Lemieux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Don't forget the immortal third defensive pairing now of Ric Jackman and Kent Huskins.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a good team. But the three things we didn't need when we are clearly one of the challengers for the cup were a) another slow power forward (and a very injury prone one at that) b) a fourth string goalie who is probably way too inconsistent to ever be a starter and c) a mid first round pick. And to get those three things we gave up a very consistent NHL ready 23 year old defenseman when we had screw all depth behind him. And every other challenger in the conference got better... our nearest division rivals significantly so.

If the Ducks don't win it this year (and now I don't see anyway they get out of the West) then they fucked up big time, because there is never going to be a season where all five of Giguere, McDonald, Selanne, Niedermayer and Pronger are playing as well as they are right now.

If Pronger or Niedermayer gets hurt, the Ducks will lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Is Ian Moran still in Anaheim? As a Pens fan, I wondered if they toyed with the idea of Jackman-Moran pairing, to be the total inverse of a Pronger-Niedermayer pairing?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #908
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola,

Overall happy with what Pittsburgh did. But there is a logjam up front now:

Roberts Crosby Recchi
Staal Malkin Ouellett
Christiansen Talbot Armstong
Malone Thorburn Ruutu
Laraque X Petrovicky

Plus Nils Ekman returning from injury in about a week.
Could have moved a forward for a D, rather than picking up Joel Kwiatkowski for a draft pick. He's no better/worse than what we already have on the 3rd pairing.

But, they didn't give up very much. Pick for Kwiatkowski. Pick and marginal prospect in Carcillo for Laraque. Good, but, in the team's eyes, not great prospect in Noah Welch for Roberts.
And pick up a 3rd rounder for Dom Moore, whose ice time had been down to about 8 mins a game.

Would have been nice to see them in the Norstrom sweepstakes...but even with all those guys, still can't score on Marty F*$&ing Brodeur!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #909
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
...even with all those guys, still can't score on Marty F*$&ing Brodeur!
Now that the Devils are kinda running away with the division, I think maybe they ought to rest Marty more often. He had started 32 straight games, and then he got Sunday off at Washington. He returned with a brilliant performance in Pittsburgh last night. Go Marty!!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #910
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Now that the Devils are kinda running away with the division, I think maybe they ought to rest Marty more often. He had started 32 straight games, and then he got Sunday off at Washington. He returned with a brilliant performance in Pittsburgh last night. Go Marty!!

Good article in the most recent THN about Clemmensen and his busy schedule.

Bought my playoff tickets this morning, I waited until the last minute. Now just don't draw NJ in the first round!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #911
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
Kyle Calder, 5 seconds into his first shift as a Wing, scores a goal.

That was a nice way to kick things off. He made another good play on the Franzen goal. He won a battle for the puck in the corner, brought it out, made a nice pass off the boards to spring Franzen. Good to see.

One more thing. Fuck you, Andreas Lilja. Way to stick up for your team mate there.

Little Brett Ledba gets completely run over by Mikael Holmqvist. A legal hit, but a high one to the head that flattens Lebda. Lilja (6'4, 230 lbs.) skates over and ineffectualy pokes at Holmqvist, making the most pathetic showing of all time as he reluctantly bumps into the guy, but does nothing else. The big fella just sort of stands there looking confused, until Brett Lebda, all 5'11 194 lbs. of him, peels himself off the ice, skates over to Holmqvist, drops the gloves and goes after the 6'3 forward. Way to stand up for your defensive partner Andreas.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #912
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I did think it was a little unfortunate that, halfway through the speech, they traded Messier for two draft picks and a ceremony to be named later.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #913
MikeVic
Head Coach

With names like Moose and Duce, it takes me awhile to decide if the fans are calling out "Moooooose" and "Duuuuuce," or if they're booing.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #914
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I did think it was a little unfortunate that, halfway through the speech, they traded Messier for two draft picks and a ceremony to be named later.

You gotta believe that's why Lowe was no where to be found...he was on the phone with Snow to see if he could deal any of the suits on the ice during the ceremony...fortunately for us, Snow showed some restraint.

I have to say, the deal doesn't feel any better after sleeping on it. Thought it might...but, no...it doesn't. I could almost compare the sinking feeling I've got now to the one I got when the Eagles signed T.O....that was an awful couple of days.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #915
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
That was a nice way to kick things off. He made another good play on the Franzen goal. He won a battle for the puck in the corner, brought it out, made a nice pass off the boards to spring Franzen. Good to see.

One more thing. Fuck you, Andreas Lilja. Way to stick up for your team mate there.

Little Brett Ledba gets completely run over by Mikael Holmqvist. A legal hit, but a high one to the head that flattens Lebda. Lilja (6'4, 230 lbs.) skates over and ineffectualy pokes at Holmqvist, making the most pathetic showing of all time as he reluctantly bumps into the guy, but does nothing else. The big fella just sort of stands there looking confused, until Brett Lebda, all 5'11 194 lbs. of him, peels himself off the ice, skates over to Holmqvist, drops the gloves and goes after the 6'3 forward. Way to stand up for your defensive partner Andreas.

Yes, that was absurd. I would love to see Bertuzzi just for the simple fact that he will more then likely go after Homqvist in that situation. Lilja is everything Grapes stereotypes as a Euro player (Not Sundin)
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #916
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Little Brett Ledba gets completely run over by Mikael Holmqvist. A legal hit, but a high one to the head that flattens Lebda. Lilja (6'4, 230 lbs.) skates over and ineffectualy pokes at Holmqvist, making the most pathetic showing of all time as he reluctantly bumps into the guy, but does nothing else.
Sounds like a future Senator. Captain material, even.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #917
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Seriously, I want to perform oral sex on whoever writes your material.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #918
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Seriously, I want to perform oral sex on whoever writes your material.

I agree wholeheartedly, whoever writes Maple Leafs' matieral definitely deserves oral sex from Pumpy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #919
Pyser
Pro Rookie

regarding the ducks inactivity, from tsn:

On deadline day, Burke offers first-and fourth-round draft picks for Guerin, but the Blues prefer the Sharks' offer.

He offers the Kings first-, second-and third-round picks for Norstrom. No go.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #920
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
regarding the ducks inactivity, from tsn:

On deadline day, Burke offers first-and fourth-round draft picks for Guerin, but the Blues prefer the Sharks' offer.

He offers the Kings first-, second-and third-round picks for Norstrom. No go.

I'm a big fan of Matty, but I'm glad the Kings didn't accept that one. We got Sean O'Donnell for much cheaper last year, and I regard the two as having very similar skill sets.

That's too bad about the Guerin deal. It was well known the Blues wanted a player and a pick. We have players that can be moved. Not sure why that wouldn't have been offered. Although we still don't know the player to be named is from the Sharks. I mean, if it's Nabakov or one of their younger rising players, that would be hard to compete with.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #921
Karim
College Starter

I don't blame Burke one bit. It's the same reason Sutter didn't make a deal last trade deadline - everyone wanted the team's best young players. He wasn't about to trade Getzlaf, Perry or Penner or prospects like Ryan. I still think Anaheim is in a good position to make a lengthy run.

Last edited by Karim : 03-01-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #922
Karim
College Starter

Things just keep getting better in Edmonton...
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...1/3681802.html

An Oilers fan who protested the Ryan Smyth trade by taping an anti-Kevin Lowe slogan to his team jersey claims he was forced by team officials to remove it.

Robert Vaughan used orange duct tape to spell out “Trade Lowe” on the back of his jersey when he attended the Oilers-Phoenix Coyotes game Tuesday night at Rexall Place.

He says he was stopped and taken to a small room in the bowels of the arena where two men, identifying themselves as representatives of the Oilers, told him the sign was offensive to management. “They want all the fans to be like rabbits and sheep,” said Vaughan, who’s owned season tickets for six years and is considering whether to renew them. “I feel violated.”

Moments after he and his nephew walked into the main concourse, he says he was tapped on the shoulder by two men in suits. They identified themselves as representatives of the Oilers and asked Vaughan and his nephew to accompany them.

Vaughan says they were taken to a room where the men told him to rip off the duct tape. He said he refused and tried walking to the door, when one of the broad-shouldered men blocked it. “He bluntly said I was not going to leave with that written on my back,” said Vaughan. “I said, ‘Are you threatening me?’ ”

The two parties argued for the better part of 25 minutes before Vaughan agreed to rip the lettering off his jersey.

“I’m choked,” Vaughan said. “I’m extremely disappointed and I want a letter of apology from the Oilers. I bleed copper and blue. They took away my freedom of speech.”

While he didn’t disagree with the decision to trade Smyth, Vaughan said he was disappointed with what the team received in return for the heart-and-soul winger. “I was venting,” he said.

The Oilers did not return repeated phone calls yesterday.

Last edited by Karim : 03-01-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #923
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim View Post
Things just keep getting better in Edmonton...
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...1/3681802.html

An Oilers fan who protested the Ryan Smyth trade by taping an anti-Kevin Lowe slogan to his team jersey claims he was forced by team officials to remove it.

Robert Vaughan used orange duct tape to spell out “Trade Lowe” on the back of his jersey when he attended the Oilers-Phoenix Coyotes game Tuesday night at Rexall Place.

He says he was stopped and taken to a small room in the bowels of the arena where two men, identifying themselves as representatives of the Oilers, told him the sign was offensive to management. “They want all the fans to be like rabbits and sheep,” said Vaughan, who’s owned season tickets for six years and is considering whether to renew them. “I feel violated.”

Moments after he and his nephew walked into the main concourse, he says he was tapped on the shoulder by two men in suits. They identified themselves as representatives of the Oilers and asked Vaughan and his nephew to accompany them.

Vaughan says they were taken to a room where the men told him to rip off the duct tape. He said he refused and tried walking to the door, when one of the broad-shouldered men blocked it. “He bluntly said I was not going to leave with that written on my back,” said Vaughan. “I said, ‘Are you threatening me?’ ”

The two parties argued for the better part of 25 minutes before Vaughan agreed to rip the lettering off his jersey.

“I’m choked,” Vaughan said. “I’m extremely disappointed and I want a letter of apology from the Oilers. I bleed copper and blue. They took away my freedom of speech.”

While he didn’t disagree with the decision to trade Smyth, Vaughan said he was disappointed with what the team received in return for the heart-and-soul winger. “I was venting,” he said.

The Oilers did not return repeated phone calls yesterday.

This is so Detroit Lions circa 2005. . .
Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #924
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:

- The Russian prospect had no problems leaving Russia, he just didn't want to sign a two way contract. Who can blame him - why take a huge pay cut to play in the AHL when you can make decent money in Russia?

- Kent Nilsson's kid, who at 22 leads his team in the AHL in scoring, and had 20 points in 50 games as a 21 year old (not bad, considering it does take time for a guy to adjust to the pro level).

- O'Marra, who is still playing in the OHL like most 19 year olds are, and averaging a point per game much like Jordan Staal did last year in the OHL (not saying he will be as good as him, just pointing out that averaging a point per game at that level means nothing - Jordan Staal did last year, while Robbie Schremp averaged 3 - and I think we both know who we'd prefer).

I liked MAB, but he was going no where no this team. Not because he has no talent, but because the team/fans put pressure on him to replace Pronger, and you just don't do that. So every little mistake he made was jumped on by the fans/media, which probably just knocked his confidence down to nothing. A chance was needed for him.

For Smyth, what would you have said about Lowe when he left for nothing in July? If we weren't going to be able to sign him, it is best we got something than nothing.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #925
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't blame Burke one bit. It's the same reason Sutter didn't make a deal last trade deadline - everyone wanted the team's best young players. He wasn't about to trade Getzlaf, Perry or Penner or prospects like Ryan. I still think Anaheim is in a good position to make a lengthy run.

He did trade O'Brien though who I would much rather have kept than Penner given the organizational depth chart. At least it sounds like he was trying to turn the pick into a player, but I would have hoped he would at least have picked up a better defenseman than Kent Huskins at the death when the decent players on the market had gone elsewhere.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:23 AM   #926
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

People handle these situations so poorly. I would call their bluff.

The cellphone would be out and an emergency number would be called and I would immediately start yelling that I've been taken hostage inside Rexall Place, being held against my will, and start giving a description of the men. See what happens next... They have a right to deny you entry to the arena. They have a right to ask you to leave. They don't have a right to detain you in a room while demanding that you remove items before they let you out.

Instead of worrying about "Trade Lowe" tape on people's backs, Kevin Lowe should be worried about where the team's next goal is going to come from. Bunch of jackasses.

Last edited by Tekneek : 03-02-2007 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #927
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Brian Burke's trade deadline diary:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ke-diary_x.htm
Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #928
MikeVic
Head Coach

So what was with Bernie Nichols? I remember having a card of his as a kid when I first started following the stats of hockey, and being perplexed by his 150-point season. When I'd do "drafts" of my hockey cards, he'd always be an underrated guy that was in the top 10 in scoring each season.

What's Bernie's history? Was he a good player? Or was he lucky?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #929
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Random Bernie Nichols story: he was once traded for Zdeno Ciger. On the day of the deal, one announcer commented that it was nice to know there were some places where you could still get a decent Ciger for a Nichols.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #930
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So what was with Bernie Nichols? I remember having a card of his as a kid when I first started following the stats of hockey, and being perplexed by his 150-point season. When I'd do "drafts" of my hockey cards, he'd always be an underrated guy that was in the top 10 in scoring each season.

He was a decent player, a flashy winger, who happened to have the good fortune of playing along side Wayne Gretzky in 1988-89 (his 150 point) season.

To illustrate: Nichols averaged 1.78 points per game while playing with Gretzky (126 games/225 points) and only (though still respectable) 0.983 points per game (1,001 games/984 points) without him.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-02-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #931
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

What made you bring up Bernie Nicholls?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #932
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Brian Burke's trade deadline diary:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ke-diary_x.htm

Very interesting read, and not just for a Ducks fan.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #933
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Tomas Kaberle suffers a serious injury thanks to a late hit to the head by Cam Janssen.

In other news, "the code" says I'm now duty-bound to fight Pumpy.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #934
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Tomas Kaberle suffers a serious injury thanks to a late hit to the head by Cam Janssen.

Come on, we both had to suffer through Alex Mogilny. Let's just put this one incident behind us.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #935
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

Just a really dirty play. Janssen said he was just finishing his check after the game. Jeff O'neal is right, guy is just an idiot. Didnt play another shift the entire game. Darcy(who wasnt playing, watching on tv at the arena), probably the only leaf who saw the hit, because it was that late, got as close to the Devils bench as he could and was screaming at Janssen.

Oh ya, NO PENALTY!!!!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #936
bhlloy
Coordinator

When the toughest guy you dress is Bryan McCabe, teams are going to take liberties with your players. If Belak is dressed, maybe it still happens, but I bet there is way less chance it does.

I don't have any sympathy for the Leafs at all. I wouldn't have any sympathy with the Ducks either if they didn't dress Parros and Janssen did the same thing.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #937
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Just a really dirty play. Janssen said he was just finishing his check after the game. Jeff O'neal is right, guy is just an idiot. Didnt play another shift the entire game. Darcy(who wasnt playing, watching on tv at the arena), probably the only leaf who saw the hit, because it was that late, got as close to the Devils bench as he could and was screaming at Janssen.

Oh ya, NO PENALTY!!!!!!

That was a text book example of interference. Hitting a player who doesn't have the puck.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #938
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
What made you bring up Bernie Nicholls?

I was reading through the Messier and Oiler posts, and it got me thinking of the old Oilers when I first started watching hockey. And then that somehow led to Bernie Nicholls.

Didn't he have an Upper Deck hockey card where he was in a suit, and skating towards the camera or something?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #939
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
When the toughest guy you dress is Bryan McCabe, teams are going to take liberties with your players. If Belak is dressed, maybe it still happens, but I bet there is way less chance it does.

I don't have any sympathy for the Leafs at all. I wouldn't have any sympathy with the Ducks either if they didn't dress Parros and Janssen did the same thing.

I don't think they want your sympathy.

There is absolutly no reason something like this should happen. Have you seen the play? Did you see how late it was.? The hit was late, Janssen left his feet, and elbowed Kabs in the head. You may not like the Leafs, but you can atleast admit how dirty, and uncalled for it was.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #940
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ok, the hit was late, but he didnt elbow anyone in the head. i was watching the game, and kaberle was slightly bent over, and unfortunately took the hit from cams shoulder right in the head...then slid into the boards, and hit the other side of his head.

an unquestionably bad play by cam, but pretty unlucky, too, in terms of catching both sides of the head.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #941
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

No doubt the hit was late... not sure about elbow/jumping, although when it's that late it really doesn't matter.

Pretty embarassing that the Leafs didn't do a thing about it. I know, I know, the hit was so late that nobody saw it. Doesn't matter, though. When you turn around and you see your best player knocked out and the other team's goon standing over him, you do something. If it turns out he tripped over the blue line and the other guy's trying to help him up, so be it.

I can see the argument for Maurice not pulling a Ruff -- they needed the two points, and they didn't have the ammo to do it anyways. But there's no excuse for somebody not doing something immediately after the hit. That's just Senator-ish.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #942
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Janssen gets three games. That seems like a perfect amount if you're looking for a suspension that will make absolutely everybody involved angry.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #943
Karim
College Starter

Colin Campbell is such an idiot so if Janssen gets suspended it likely won't be much. Maybe he'll get pressure because it's the Leafs. Still, he's such an idiot he'll probably say Kaberle brought it on himself.

Did I forget to mention that Colin Campbell is an idiot?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #944
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe he'll get pressure because it's the Leafs.
Doubtful. The next time the Bettman adminstration does something to help the Leafs will be the first. Toronto isn't a struggling small market and they're not American, so what does the NHL care?

The only time Bettman has any interest at all in Toronto is when it's time to hand out the revenue sharing welfare checks. Then he remembers them.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #945
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

THN Future Watch is out. Anyone interested in their teams prospects, grades, etc, just post here, I'll try to get to them all.

Top 10 prospects

1) Erik Johnson (STL) - Univ of Minn
2) Jonathan Toews (CHI) - UND
3) Nick Backstrom (WSH) - Sweden
4) Jack Johnson (LA) - U Michigan
5) Carey Price (MTL) - Tri-City (WHL)
6) Marc Staal (NYR) - Sudbury (OHL)
7) Peter Mueller (PHO) - Everett (WHL)
8) Kyle Okposo (NYI) - Univ of Minn
9) Luc Bourdon (VAN) - Cape Breton (QMJHL)
10) Kris Letang (PIT) - Val d'Or (QMJHL)

As a Pens fan, that is huge to see Letang (the drink of the French-Canadian astronaut) crack the top 10.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #946
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'd be interested in hearing where Bobby Ryan is
Old 03-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #947
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Doubtful. The next time the Bettman adminstration does something to help the Leafs will be the first. Toronto isn't a struggling small market and they're not American, so what does the NHL care?

The only time Bettman has any interest at all in Toronto is when it's time to hand out the revenue sharing welfare checks. Then he remembers them.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Just because "you" (as in Leafs fans) can't go watch the Leafs in Buffalo anymore now you're all crabby
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #948
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Isles rolled tonight, good to get into a solid playoff position as our schedule really roughens up.

Marc-Andre Bergeron has been very, very good so far. He was sick on the powerplay tonight. I'm expecting the defensive lapses to start at some point and I will be prepared for him. I'd much rather have a guy who is weak defensively (but can be good when hot) and is a difference-maker on offense than a guy like Grebs (who is Ok at everything but good at nothing).

And Ryan Smyth has been as good as advertised so far. Hope we can get him locked up.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #949
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing where Bobby Ryan is

Ryan is still Anaheim's #1 prospect. However, he dropped from #3 overall to #11 from last years issue.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #950
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
THN Future Watch is out. Anyone interested in their teams prospects, grades, etc, just post here, I'll try to get to them all.

Top 10 prospects

1) Erik Johnson (STL) - Univ of Minn
2) Jonathan Toews (CHI) - UND
3) Nick Backstrom (WSH) - Sweden
4) Jack Johnson (LA) - U Michigan
5) Carey Price (MTL) - Tri-City (WHL)
6) Marc Staal (NYR) - Sudbury (OHL)
7) Peter Mueller (PHO) - Everett (WHL)
8) Kyle Okposo (NYI) - Univ of Minn
9) Luc Bourdon (VAN) - Cape Breton (QMJHL)
10) Kris Letang (PIT) - Val d'Or (QMJHL)

As a Pens fan, that is huge to see Letang (the drink of the French-Canadian astronaut) crack the top 10.

I'd be interested in hearing any info about the Isles' prospects.

Why is Marc Staal so high on that list??? I thought he had regressed a good amount since he was drafted. Doesn't Bourdon's stock have to be dropping fast also?