Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #901
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
A healthy penn state woudl of beat them.

You're on crack.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #902
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
You're on crack.

PSU would have gotten smashed by either team.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #903
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Congrats dude. Have a beer for me.

And a first kid on the way in June. I think I have used up all my good fortune in just a few months.

That was a game I think all of us who watched it will remember for the rest of our lives.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #904
SnDvls
Pro Starter

as a Pac-10 fan I wanted SC to win, but after the coments by crybaby Matt I'm glad Texas won. Congrats on a great game and win.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #905
vtbub
College Starter

I dunno if it was the best game ever, but it sure will be in the top 5.

A hearty congrats to the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #906
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Young just seems like a bit of an ass, tho, I gotta say.

SI

Lienart seems like a real prick - lose the game and still say theyre the better team - while the opposing coach is naming your accolades before his own teams.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #907
Galaxy
Coordinator

Just curious, who will start at QB next year for USC?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #908
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
Lienart seems like a real prick - lose the game and still say theyre the better team - while the opposing coach is naming your accolades before his own teams.

He was probably just pissed that his defense couldn't make a tackle to save their life. Meanwhile he is leading his team up and down the field with ease.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #909
PineTar
High School JV

Leinart's head was still squarely up his ass (as evidenced on the last play of the game) when he did his post game interview.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #910
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, Leinart came off as a giant prick, too.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #911
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
And a first kid on the way in June. I think I have used up all my good fortune in just a few months.

That was a game I think all of us who watched it will remember for the rest of our lives.

Congratulations Senator. I hope to one day have one of my teams win a championship (no, IHOF doesn't count).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #912
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy

Booty, Josh David
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #913
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Congratulations Senator. I hope to one day have one of my teams win a championship (no, IHOF doesn't count).

Hopefully my kid won't have to wait 35 years.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #914
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub
I dunno if it was the best game ever, but it sure will be in the top 5.

A hearty congrats to the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns

These 2 teams were involved in the 3 best games I watched this year. OSU-Texas, Notre Dame-USC, and obviously this game.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 PM   #915
kingfc22
Head Coach

Another key play was that 2nd down incomplete pass prior to getting stopped on 4th down. That would have taken off another 30-40 seconds.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-04-2006 at 11:50 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #916
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1
Well, he was put on the spot with a question.. All he said was..

Hey, it was a hard-fought battle, I felt we were the better team but they came up big at the end.

It wasn't like he said..

"Man, we were so much better than them, we shoulda won, wah wah wah.."

Thanks for putting that in perspective. Not nearly as bad as it's sounding.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #917
Celeval
Pro Starter

This was one hell of a year for good games... ND-USC was incredible, all the BCS games were close, great games to watch.. one of the best Nat. Chmp games, too. As much as I don't like the BCS, this year was a dream scenario for them.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #918
Tasan
College Starter

Hey people, remember we are talking about 21-22 year old guys that have just battled through a nasty game. Sure, Mack will sound great, but how many 18-22 year olds are going to give props to a team that just beat them in the biggest game of the year? Not many I'd imagine, and I wouldn't really fault them either.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #919
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy

Booty
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #920
sooner333
College Starter

Congrats to cartman, Senator, and the other Horn posters...35 years is a long time to wait, and I hope it takes longer until next time. But, the better team won today, and as much as I hate to admit, the best team this year. Can't wait till we get to knock off the defending champs next year and start another five game winning streak against you.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #921
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It must also be that much sweeter for Texas to take down the evil empire of college football. I mean people were seriously talking about "greatest team ever" and "dynasty" - and all of that talk was actually justified because USC has been unstoppable. To pull that win off like that is just awesome, it was just an outstanding game from start-to-finish. Congratulations, Texas.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #922
kingfc22
Head Coach

Heck of a run for the kids at SC. 34 straight games (including 16 vs. top 25 teams) and 2 titles. Huge props to them.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-04-2006 at 11:56 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #923
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
It must also be that much sweeter for Texas to take down the evil empire of college football.

I don't think Notre Dame has any competition for the title of evil empire of college football.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #924
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Booty, Josh David

That's not a given. Sanchez is extremely talented, and he might win the job.

Senator, Huckleberry, Cartman, and all of you other Longhorn fans -- congratulations on a hard earned championship.

Man, what a game. Both teams left it all on the field tonight.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:03 AM   #925
GabeRivers
n00b

Quote:
You can't "recover" an incomplete pass. It should have been a penalty from the spot of the illegal pass, and USC would have retained posession.

It was not an incomplete pass by any definition. He was running with the ball well beyond the line of scrimmage and attempted a lateral. If it was in fact a forward lateral, it was still a free ball. If USC had recovered, and IF it was indeed ruled a forward lateral, UT would have been awarded a penalty. However, after reviewing the play, it was not forward anyway.
GabeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #926
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeRivers
It was not an incomplete pass by any definition. He was running with the ball well beyond the line of scrimmage and attempted a lateral. If it was in fact a forward lateral, it was still a free ball. If USC had recovered, and IF it was indeed ruled a forward lateral, UT would have been awarded a penalty. However, after reviewing the play, it was not forward anyway.

I'm pretty sure the ball clearly lands forward of the spot he released it.

Now what is the college rule on an illegal forward pass? In the NFL that would have been an illegal pass, USC would have been peanlized, but would have retained posession. Does it differe in college? Anyone?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #927
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Classy move by Mack Brown, congratulating USC before he said anything else.

Mack Brown has always demonstrated a lot of class.

I was also impressed with Pete Carroll's post-game comments. He was very gracious in defeat.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #928
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still in awe. I watched that whole game smiling, and giggling like a little kid all the while saying, "wow every other minute". I will not be sleeping anytime soon as I'll be juking in my thoughts.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #929
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
A healthy penn state woudl of beat them.

Your talking about Penn State who needed 3 overtimes to beat a badly coached offensive team? Sorry but Vince Young the way he played tonight would have beaten any college team in America. He put up video game numbers on USC I have only seen those stats when I turn the difficulty down and rack up stats.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #930
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
Your talking about Penn State who needed 3 overtimes to beat a badly coached offensive team? Sorry but Vince Young the way he played tonight would have beaten any college team in America. He put up video game numbers on USC I have only seen those stats when I turn the difficulty down and rack up stats.
Hell, and USC would have beat any other team in college football. Both of these teams showed how great they were.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #931
GabeRivers
n00b

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the ball clearly lands forward of the spot he released it.

Now what is the college rule on an illegal forward pass? In the NFL that would have been an illegal pass, USC would have been peanlized, but would have retained posession. Does it differe in college? Anyone?

It would not have been an illegal forward pass even in the NFL. Had it been forward at that point it would have been an illegal forward lateral.
GabeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #932
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So, how much longer is sooner333 gonna keep his 2 year old sig?

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:12 AM   #933
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Sorry but Vince Young the way he played tonight would have beaten any college team in America. He put up video game numbers on USC I have only seen those stats when I turn the difficulty down and rack up stats.
Yep...I was talking with my wife about how Young would do against a FSU, Miami or VT defense since those teams have more experience in handling mobile quarterbacks, but by the end of the night I strongly believe that no defense could have done anything to slow him down.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:15 AM   #934
biological warrior
High School Varsity

Quote:
Im savoring the look on his face when he has to wait until the 7th round in April.
biological warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:17 AM   #935
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeRivers
It would not have been an illegal forward pass even in the NFL. Had it been forward at that point it would have been an illegal forward lateral.

As far as I'm aware a "forward lateral" does not actually exist in the nfl (the term itself makes zero sense).

A pass is when the ball is thrown forward. A lateral is when the ball is thrown sideways (laterally) or backwards.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:17 AM   #936
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Yep...I was talking with my wife about how Young would do against a FSU, Miami or VT defense since those teams have more experience in handling mobile quarterbacks, but by the end of the night I strongly believe that no defense could have done anything to slow him down.

Pretty much. That guy is on a whole other level. I mentioned to my brother that he reminds me of Micheal Vick except he is a bit of a better passer. I can think of maybe one defense maybe two who can slow him down LSU and Florida State(Not a homer pick we have shut down all running QBs except Haggins) but we might have been able to stop him to the tune of oh I dunno five yards less then what he got in total. In other words we still would have gotten beaten badly.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:19 AM   #937
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Ok, after digging a littler further I've at least found the NFL rule. The defensive team would have the option of declining the penalty and going with the result of the play (in this case, a Texas recovery).

I'm going to assume it's the same in college, and therefore my original point was moot.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #938
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. Just got home from watching the game (not at the stadium..I wish I were there, though!). UN-FRICKIN-BELIEVEABLE. While I was definitely rooting for USC to bring the PAC-10 another title, Texas definitely earned this victory. Even if Pete Carroll had not gone for it on 4th down, I am totally convinced Vince Young would have found a way to score. He was just a machine tonight. The whole game I would say "here comes a QB draw", and VY still made magic happen on every one.

I'd say this puts USC alongside the Miami team of a few years back. It was basically the same situation, except people thought this year's Texas team was better than the 2002 Ohio State team. Both teams played an absolute beast of a game, and USC didn't lose (okay, they lost, but...), they just ran out of time. Whoever had the ball last with any amount of time would have won this game.

The Vince Young lateral was a bad call, but Reggie Bush's lateral was a bad play that didn't have to happen, so let's call it even.

Congratulations, Texas, and Texas fans. You guys party hard tonight, because this is a special moment.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:29 AM   #939
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
So, how much longer is sooner333 gonna keep his 2 year old sig?

fixed it for ya.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #940
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Pretty much. That guy is on a whole other level. I mentioned to my brother that he reminds me of Micheal Vick except he is a bit of a better passer. I can think of maybe one defense maybe two who can slow him down LSU and Florida State(Not a homer pick we have shut down all running QBs except Haggins) but we might have been able to stop him to the tune of oh I dunno five yards less then what he got in total. In other words we still would have gotten beaten badly.

Wouldn't you put him in front of Vick, as a college player, at this point? I think Vick somehow looked faster and a little shiftier, maybe because he has/had a leaner body, but VY made a lot of great athletes look like they were moving in slow motion today. Vick had an awesome career and was one of the most exciting players I have ever seen, but VY now has two BCS wins and a title, with a year left to play.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #941
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

If stats in bowl games now count as regular season stats then why is the Heisman awarded before the bowls?

Last edited by TazFTW : 01-05-2006 at 12:34 AM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #942
aran
High School Varsity

Speaking of pricks... Brian Kushing (i don't really even know how to spell his name ) comes from my hometown. He was a prick when i used to play schoolyard pick-up football with him. I smiled when USC lost the game thinking of what a sore loser he used to be.

Heh. First kid from my town to be even remotely successful at college football.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #943
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
If stats in bowl games now count as regular season stats then why is the Heisman awarded before the bowls?

Probably tradition, but I think the Heisman is an award that isn't and shouldn't be all about stats. There are no qualifications of the award except "most outstanding college football player". Young probably would have won after tonight...but I don't think you could argue against Reggie Bush either...even after tonight.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:39 AM   #944
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

If Young really wants the Heisman that bad, he can always come back next year.....
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 AM   #945
sooner333
College Starter

Texas probably faced the third best defense they have all season tonight. I'd take Ohio State's and OU's over the way USC played. Maybe even Kansas'. I know USC wasn't in the top 25 in defense before the game, and they certainly won't be after tonight. They were exposed today on the national spotlight...and in a big way. Texas did face the best offense they have faced all season though (though Texas certainly is better than them at that too).
Old 01-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #946
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Exactly. Young is very good, but I can't believe NFL scouts will be so wowed by this performance - as opposed to evaluating everything he's done up until now - that they'll upgrade him for singlehandledly beating a bad defense. I don't care how dominant USC has been, they still have a Pac-10 defense. And that's what lost them the game.
A bad defense? Are you high?

USC ranked #35 in the NCAA this year in overall defense (out of 117 teams) giving up 344.7 YPG. They were #23 in rush defense at 117.3 YPG and #38 in pass efficiency defense at 117.7 rating. You can say that this wasn't an outstanding defense, but to say it was bad? Major hyperbole.

Here are some more numbers to chew on:
USC offense this year - 50.0 PPG (#2), 580.3 YPG (#1)
Texas offense this year - 50.9 PPG (#1), 508.4 YPG (#3)
USC defense this year - 21.3 PPG (#27), 344.7 YPG (#35)
Texas defense this year - 14.6 PPG (#5), 280.3 YPG (#5)

Now tell me this - was the Texas defense that much better than the USC defense tonight? The numbers suggest it's a lot closer than you seem to imply, unless you also think the Longhorn's defense is "bad".

And maybe, just maybe, the difference in defensive numbers between teams in the Pac-10 and Big-12 has as much to do with the potency of the offenses in the Pac-10 as compared to Big-12 offenses...?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #947
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Heh.

Quote:
Welcome to vDeck
This is the default page for a vDeck hosting server. If you were expecting to see your website, come back tomorrow. If you still see this message then, send an email to support.

This is what you get now when you go to www.firemackbrown.com

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 01-05-2006 at 12:52 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #948
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
Texas probably faced the third best defense they have all season tonight. I'd take Ohio State's and OU's over the way USC played. Maybe even Kansas'. I know USC wasn't in the top 25 in defense before the game, and they certainly won't be after tonight. They were exposed today on the national spotlight...and in a big way. Texas did face the best offense they have faced all season though (though Texas certainly is better than them at that too).
Woo! We (Kansas) got a mention

We really did have a stud defense. Too bad our offense couldn't do a thing the first half of the season so the defense was out there 40 minutes and more for some of those games. Seven seniors, tho, so we're going to take quite a step back next year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #949
korme
Go Reds

Got to this thread late. But here's my thought on Texas' final play on offense. You know when a great scrambling QB has it on 4th and goal and you just know he's going to scramble for the score, but instead he makes a quick throw incomplete and like that the game's over? I had a feeling it'd happen, but out of nowhere like "I cant believe hes actually running", Young runs in for the game winner. For 5 minutes straight I just kept saying "I can't believe SC actually lost... holy shit."
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 AM   #950
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
We finally did it. I lived to see it.
Congrats Sen. I still remember in Jan '03 when OSU did the unthinkable. Enjoy it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote