Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 PM   #851
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Best game in the eastern conference playoffs. And while that is akin to being the tallest guy in a midget conference, it was still a great game to watch. Both teams (err, Detroit and Lebron) each hit tough shots down the stretch. From the Billups 3 to Sheed to Lebron's magic, that was great basketball.

For the first time all postseason, I'm actually looking forward to an eastern conference game (game 6 in Clev). Kudos to Lebron for a "Jordan-esque" performance.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #852
cmp
Pro Rookie

I don't see the Pistons losing Game 6. When they have their backs to the wall they always pull through. But, I don't know if they can take Game 7.

Last edited by cmp : 05-31-2007 at 11:21 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #853
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101 View Post
I don't see the Pistons losing Game 6. When they have their backs to the wall they always pull through. But, I don't know if they can take Game 7.

Yeah, if they can find a way to win that game the ball is back in their court. The Pistons are by far the better team, but Lebron is the equalizer as displayed tonight. All of the games have come down to the last minute so they'll have their chance. And I imagine Flip will change up his defense and double Lebron more often. I would think he'd have to at this point.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #854
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Contrary to gold101, I don't see the Pistons winning Game 6, but if they do, I don't see them losing Game 7.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #855
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Contrary to gold101, I don't see the Pistons winning Game 6, but if they do, I don't see them losing Game 7.

Ditto.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #856
cmp
Pro Rookie

For the last 5 years the Pistons do this at least one series every year it seems. They go down 3-2 and come back to win it. Maybe it won't happen again but it would definitely not be the first time they've made this same comeback.

Last edited by cmp : 05-31-2007 at 11:31 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:40 AM   #857
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post
Unfucking real. First Lebron choking on the FT's and then Gooden misses a give me

Looks like another long Friday of listening to talk radio bitch about how the refs stole the game from the Cavs...

Ummmmmm.......
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #858
amdaily
College Prospect

Going into the 4th quarter, gonna stick the amdaily guarantee lock on this one - the Cavs don't have a chance in hell.

Not only the game, but of the series. '06 repeating itself. Quote for posterity all you want!
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #859
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Going into the 4th quarter, gonna stick the amdaily guarantee lock on this one - the Cavs don't have a chance in hell.

Not only the game, but of the series. '06 repeating itself. Quote for posterity all you want!

This should scare the crap out of Pistons fans.

Sportsguy and a bunch of other people were ripping this series after 2 games, but regardless of what happens from here it goes down as one of the more memorable playoff series of my lifetime.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #860
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Yikes.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #861
st.cronin
General Manager

Is there some medication that Rasheed Wallace should be on?

knives out
Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #862
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Yikes.

Just came to delete that too Damn!
Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #863
Atocep
Coordinator

Reason #1 why I wouldn't want Rasheed on my team. Complete lack of respect for his teammates there.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #864
wade moore
lolzcat

I guess someone other than LeBron can score now and then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #865
st.cronin
General Manager

This is actually very funny to watch.

knives out
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #866
st.cronin
General Manager

Flip Saunders looks like he's going to cry.

knives out
Old 06-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #867
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Good call
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #868
st.cronin
General Manager

You really have to "admire" the way Detroit has just totally given up.

knives out
Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #869
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Another great game by LeBron. I think it is easy to underestimate the confidence he is helping instill in Gibson, but we shouldn't. Also, I love how he is rebounding and setting up guys. Very fun game to watch tonight.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-02-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #870
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Amdaily's predictions looking good in the postseason.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #871
Schmidty
Coordinator

Cleveland deserved to win, and Detroit made me embarrassed to be a Pistons fan (although that will NEVER change). I hope that Joe lets Chauncey walk unless he asks for a fair deal, and that the team also goes through a sem-retooling of the frontline. I love Rasheed, but he needs to go.

Having said that, I hope the Spurs blow the Cavs out, and Lebron averages 10 points a game.

I am tired of the one "Star" NBA. It sucks. Yeah, yeah, Duncan is great, but the Cavs wouldn't even be in the playoffs without Lebron.

Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-02-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #872
Jas_lov
College Starter

So does anyone think Cleveland has a good chance to beat San Antonio? The Spurs certainly won't implode like the Pistons did. Bruce Bowen and the rest of the team won't let Lebron go off like he did in game 5. I'd like to see Cleveland and Lebron win, but I just don't think they can beat the Spurs more than twice.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #873
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
So does anyone think Cleveland has a good chance to beat San Antonio? The Spurs certainly won't implode like the Pistons did. Bruce Bowen and the rest of the team won't let Lebron go off like he did in game 5. I'd like to see Cleveland and Lebron win, but I just don't think they can beat the Spurs more than twice.

Spurs in 5. Shouldn't even be close.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #875
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

With Gibson's emergence, I can see the Cavs making it a series, but I expect the Spurs to win in 6. I just hope all of the games are entertaining.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #876
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The Cavs remind me alittle of the Iverson lead sixers... they may steal one but I am not sure they can win the series. However it does seem like they are having a charmed season.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #877
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The whole clock thing after the 1st quarter was pretty embarrassing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:19 AM   #878
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I likes the Boobie. We played the Spurs well this season, I tentitively think it will be a good series. Bowen should have troubles dealing with Bron, just cause of his size. Bowen is a great cheapshot defensive player, but he's also not used to pushing bigger guys around. That Larry Hughes injury is looking good in postseason.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #879
Logan
Head Coach

I'm pretty disappointed that this isn't starting up again until Thursday. Of course, it's a miracle that I have even the slightest bit of interest in the finals.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #880
Jas_lov
College Starter

Does anyone's prediction for the Spurs in a quick 5 game series change if I told you the format would be 2-3-2 instead of 2-2-1-1-1? Will the format change really matter and does it help the weaker team that has 3 home games in a row?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #881
miami_fan
Coordinator

So who is the next head coach of the Pistons going to be? Congrats to the Cavs, they did win the game and proved to be the better team IMO. However there is no excuse for the play of the Pistons in the 4th quarter of last night's game. Blame Rasheed all you want but that team came out of the huddle in the 4th quarter prepared to lose the game. Flip needs to be fired.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #882
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Does anyone's prediction for the Spurs in a quick 5 game series change if I told you the format would be 2-3-2 instead of 2-2-1-1-1? Will the format change really matter and does it help the weaker team that has 3 home games in a row?

Yeah, I'm hoping the Cavs can win one of the road games, and then hold serve at home.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #883
Groundhog
Coordinator

I declare that it should be compulsory for amdaily to come in to this thread and post his predictions prior to tip-off for the remainder of the finals.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #884
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm definately more confident of the Cavs going in against SA than I was against Detroit.

I think we matchup a lot better with the Spurs. Duncan will get his, but I like the rest of the matchups, especially for LeBron.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #885
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So who is the next head coach of the Pistons going to be? Congrats to the Cavs, they did win the game and proved to be the better team IMO. However there is no excuse for the play of the Pistons in the 4th quarter of last night's game. Blame Rasheed all you want but that team came out of the huddle in the 4th quarter prepared to lose the game. Flip needs to be fired.

Tom Izzo
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #886
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I am tired of the one "Star" NBA. It sucks. Yeah, yeah, Duncan is great, but the Cavs wouldn't even be in the playoffs without Lebron.

Which makes the Cavs' achievement all the more remarkable. I don't think the fact that LeBron's supporting cast being so weak makes the Cavs getting to the finals ridiculous... I think it makes it quite an amazing feat. You say it's dragging down the NBA... I would argue that more people will watch the finals now than would have watched another Pistons/Spurs yawnfest.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #887
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Which makes the Cavs' achievement all the more remarkable. I don't think the fact that LeBron's supporting cast being so weak makes the Cavs getting to the finals ridiculous... I think it makes it quite an amazing feat. You say it's dragging down the NBA... I would argue that more people will watch the finals now than would have watched another Pistons/Spurs yawnfest.

Completely agree. I had zero interest in watching the Pistons/Spurs and I like Tim Duncan. I know plenty of people who had no interest in watching that series. Now, I plan on watching and it seems like there is a buzz among friends of mine who don't even usually watch the NBA who plan on watching it now. I expect ratings to be among the highest in several years.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #888
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Completely agree. I had zero interest in watching the Pistons/Spurs and I like Tim Duncan. I know plenty of people who had no interest in watching that series. Now, I plan on watching and it seems like there is a buzz among friends of mine who don't even usually watch the NBA who plan on watching it now. I expect ratings to be among the highest in several years.

Which is all the more amazing since the NBA is roundly criticized by for its lack of team oriented play.

{shrug}
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #889
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Which is all the more amazing since the NBA is roundly criticized by for its lack of team oriented play.

{shrug}

It seems the NBA is in a no win situation. If the fans get the high flying, athletic and individualistic playmakers, then the cries of 'what happened to fundamentals' rain down. If the fans get a team that plays consummate team basketball with hard nosed defense and well-executed offense, then the game is 'boring.'

Sometimes I wonder how the Spurs would be perceived if they were in LA or NY as opposed to San Antonio. Would they still be 'boring'?

Spurs in 6. Lebron will save the Cavs in two games, but I can't see Cleveland having any answer for Tony Parker. Neither Hughes or Gibson will be able to keep him out of the lane and that spells trouble. I also can't see Z, Varejao or Rearbeard (as my wife calls Gooden) having any hope of stopping Duncan either. Z has the best shot, but he's so immensely slow. Bowen can do just enough to manage Lebron even if no one can stop him. It will take 4 Eastern Conference Game 5s from Lebron for the Cavs to win and I can't see any player that's ever lived doing that 4 times in one series.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #890
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

More people will watch it, but the quality of the games will be lower than if the Pistons had been playing well and made it. The no-ball movement none of the time Pistons that we saw against Cleveland wouldn't have been much of an improvement though. A Golden State-Washington final would have been highly entertaining(to most, I'd rather eat broken glass myself). Which explains why the league is going pell-mell with the pro-offense rule changes.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #891
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm hoping it's a close one today. I can't watch it all because I'm stuck at work, but I'm hoping to catch the 4th Q during lunch.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #892
Groundhog
Coordinator

More Onion goodness...
hxxp://www.theonion.com/content/news/tim_duncan_rooting_for_cavaliers
Quote:
Tim Duncan Rooting For Cavaliers For Good Of NBA

SAN ANTONIO—San Antonio Spurs All-Star center Tim Duncan told reporters yesterday that he is rooting for the Cleveland Cavaliers to win this year's NBA Finals, stating that a Cavaliers victory is "exactly what the NBA needs right now."

"They're an exciting team, a breath of fresh air, and with the way this year's playoffs have gone, something interesting definitely needs to happen," said Duncan, adding that with the Cavaliers in the Finals people will "finally have a reason to watch [the NBA]." "Since the Western Conference immediately became dull when the Phoenix Suns were eliminated, the league has been gasping for a team that transcends basketball and appeals to the casual fan."

"Quite frankly, if the Cavs win, I really don't know who loses," Duncan added.

According to Duncan, one of the main reasons he wants the Cavaliers to win the championship is so that Cleveland small forward LeBron James has a chance to flourish in the national spotlight.

"LeBron has a certain magnetism a lot of other players don't have," Duncan said. "Not only is he the best player on his team, but he is also charismatic, which is rare. He's the only player I can think of that the league can market on a global scale, but the only way the NBA can do that is if Cleveland wins the title. Fingers crossed that they do."

Though Duncan said it would be optimal for James to hit a game-winning jumper in the closing seconds of Game 7 to win the championship, he stated it would be equally beneficial for the league if James simply dominates from the outset of Game 1, is given the opportunity to show off his tremendous athletic ability, and sends his opponents home early.

"No matter what, an NBA Finals that ends in a Cavaliers victory will be fun to watch," Duncan said. "Much more fun than a bunch of guys with no real personality playing good, fundamental basketball, which is basically the type of thing you can expect from mind-numbing teams like the Pistons and the Jazz."

"Most important," Duncan said, "the league needs a team that inspires kids to get out on the court, run up and down and take the ball to the basket—not a team that dumps it into their big man and lets him do all the work. That's why I didn't root for the Miami Heat last year."

"Go Cavs!" added Duncan, who then put on a LeBron James jersey and a Cavaliers cap.

Duncan isn't the only one in the Spurs organization openly rooting for the Cavaliers. Coach Greg Popovich, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and team owner Peter Holt all agreed that a Cavaliers victory would be an excellent story for the league.

"The NBA has been looking for a premier team since Michael Jordan led the Bulls to six NBA championships," Popovich said. "Truthfully, I couldn't even tell you what teams have won NBA titles since."

In addition to current players and league officials, former players such as Dennis Rodman, Sean Elliot, and David Robinson have come out backing the Cavaliers. Even fans from cities other than Cleveland have voiced their support.

"To be honest, in the past couple of years I have watched more college basketball than the NBA," said San Antonio resident Derek Hill. "But there's something about the Cavaliers that gives me a reason to keep watching them, something that really draws me in. They're really a lot of, you know, what's the word… Fun."

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-07-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #893
Groundhog
Coordinator

Only watching the boxscore and NBA.com pbp right now, but at least it's still close after a pretty brutal 1st Q. I really can't think of a single reason that Larry Hughes would be starting over Gibson at this point.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #894
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

LeBron ain't playing too good so far... the fact that the Cavs aren't getting blown out is quite amazing.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #895
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

if someone woulda told me that LeBron would be without a fg in the first half, I definitely would of thought blowout.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #896
Groundhog
Coordinator

I ducked away from my desk and watched the last 6 minutes or so of the 2nd, but maybe I shouldn't have... the Spurs went on a tear straight away.

LeBron is forcing the issue and is getting swamped... still, like you say, it's amazing that they aren't getting blown out and that they are still in this game.

Once again, great performance by Gibson, while Hughes flounders and does jack shit.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #897
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

and the route is on...

Drew Gooden is the only reason they are even in it anymore. Hughes shouldn't even be playing.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #898
Groundhog
Coordinator

I guess the good news is that I don't think they can play much worse than this.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #899
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Barring a 4th quarter = to game 5 in the eastern finals, LeBron flat out sucks tonight.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #900
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
LeBron flat out sucks tonight.

How fast the fair weather fans take flight...