Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #851
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I guess the Devils have decided to take it easy. I did just receive a call from Lou Lamoriello's office, and they're on the verge of offering me a free agent contract, but that's only because I'm the only person they can fit under their salary cap.

I believe the new NHL Affirmative Action policy might be behind this
Old 02-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #852
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I believe the new NHL Affirmative Action policy might be behind this
It was either me or Todd Bridges. He's a better skater, but I'm tougher.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #853
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Norstrom to the Stars

Now what the hell with Smyth?!

Robert Nilson, O'Marra and a future 1st per TSN
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #854
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Robert Nilson, O'Marra and a future 1st per TSN

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #855
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I honestly feel like Holland made the best deal of any of these teams. These are some absurd deals.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #856
Pyser
Pro Rookie

how the hell did the islanders change their mind last minute and go from sellers to buyers like that?

oh yeah. 43 bosses.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #857
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
I honestly feel like Holland made the best deal of any of these teams. These are some absurd deals.

I have no complaints. I like the Williams for Calder deal. The Bertuzzi deal is a big risk, but the Wings didn't give up too much to take it. The moves address exactly what the Wings needed size, strength, and grit.

Holland took a very careful, measured approach to these deals. It's been his M.O. ever since the new CBA. I've been impressed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #858
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Holland is an excellent GM
Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #859
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I have no complaints. I like the Williams for Calder deal. The Bertuzzi deal is a big risk, but the Wings didn't give up too much to take it. The moves address exactly what the Wings needed size, strength, and grit.

Holland took a very careful, measured approach to these deals. It's been his M.O. ever since the new CBA. I've been impressed.

Yup. Hopefully this is the spark Lang needs, otherwise he's a total lost cause and needs to be shipped to New York to play with Jagr.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #860
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Where is the Pens defensemen!??!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #861
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

What is Atlanta doing?

Alex Bourret, last years #1, and a pick for Pascal Dupuis?
Rangers hose them on that deal!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #862
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, I'm glad to see the Panthers have acknowledged what an unbelievably stupid trade the Bertuzzi for Luongo deal was. The franchise should have been shut down for making that deal alone.

The whole Luongo thing, from the failed contract negotations to pissing him off unnecessarily with the 1 year deal to this trade, might be the biggest series of missteps and fuckups by one team in the history of professional sports.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #863
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Odd one I just saw in the tsn.ca real-time tracker
Atlanta gets Pascal Dupuis from NYR for Alex Bourret & a 3rd round pick.

Surprising deal to me, Dupuis coming off a banged up knee while Bourret was being touted pretty highly as recently as preseason.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #864
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Dola

What is Atlanta doing?

Alex Bourret, last years #1, and a pick for Pascal Dupuis?
Rangers hose them on that deal!

Atlanta is definetly looking like they think they can take the East (Which they could if Lethonen gets hot) but .. to trade Bourret for Dupuis? Oof.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #865
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Boyes to the Blues for Wideman
Old 02-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #866
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Odd one I just saw in the tsn.ca real-time tracker
Atlanta gets Pascal Dupuis from NYR for Alex Bourret & a 3rd round pick.

Surprising deal to me, Dupuis coming off a banged up knee while Bourret was being touted pretty highly as recently as preseason.

Bourret almost made the team out of Juniors, I think that Atlanta definetly dropped the ball on that deal.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #867
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Apparently various GMs are upset because the Oilers traded Smyth without making it known he was on the trade block. Some are saying they would have given up more.

What is this, the RWBL?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #868
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
Bourret almost made the team out of Juniors, I think that Atlanta definetly dropped the ball on that deal.

I'm really just sort of mindboggled over this deal. Then again, we've known the AI in Atlanta was pretty messed up for a while now.

Meanwhile text sim programmers are rejoicing at the news since it gives them something to point to the next time users say "that's just a ridiculous trade that would never happen in real life"
Old 02-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #869
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Boyes to the Blues for Wideman

I like that deal for the Blues.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #870
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Apparently various GMs are upset because the Oilers traded Smyth without making it known he was on the trade block. Some are saying they would have given up more.

What? Everyone knew Smyth might be on the block if they couldn't get a deal signed. It had been rumored for weeks and weeks on TSN and HNIC, not to mention all over the Internet. I guess these GMs somehow slept through it all or don't pick up on the same rumors that all the peasants do?

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-27-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #871
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm really just sort of mindboggled over this deal. Then again, we've known the AI in Atlanta was pretty messed up for a while now.

Meanwhile text sim programmers are rejoicing at the news since it gives them something to point to the next time users say "that's just a ridiculous trade that would never happen in real life"

Haha, yes, I agree.

Like I said earlier, Waddell must feel like Atlanta can win the East (and after today, the West is just so fucking good, while the East didn't do much to get better) with Buffalo all banged up so they needed bodies up with the big club now.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #872
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

What is this, the RWBL?

heh.
I'd like to see some names attached to that. if I'm an owner, I fire my GM if he doesn't know Smyth was available
Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #873
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

What is this, the RWBL?

I was watching that Sportsnet show with Bob McCown (the guy with the sungalsses on all the time... might have gotten the name wrong) last night, and they were talking like Smyth was available. GMs had to have known?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #874
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

As far as Bourret goes, I had begun to hear rumblings about him being perceived as a bust. I think he was also being scratched a bit in Chicago (AHL).
Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #875
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I like that deal for the Blues.

a heck of a deal. they've done very well this year
Old 02-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #876
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
As far as Bourret goes, I had begun to hear rumblings about him being perceived as a bust. I think he was also being scratched a bit in Chicago (AHL).

While it could be true, I think it's hard to say considering he's 20 and is in his first year in the AHL coming right from Juniors. That is always a hard jump, so to label him a bust is absurd at this point.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #877
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola: Bourett has 32 points in 45 games for the AHL Wolves. While its not great, it's hard to consider that a bust in his rookie year.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:18 PM   #878
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
But oh well, no one is happy with the Leafs unless they bring the 1983 all-stars back to play with them.

Was'nt Perreault on that team?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #879
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Not saying I came up with it, just saying that was what I had been hearing.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-27-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #880
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Nashville == Forsberg
Dallas == Nagy
San Jose == Guerin
Detroit == Bertuzzi

ANAHEIM == BRAD FREAKIN' MAY

---

WTF? Nuff said.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-27-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #881
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Not saying I came up with it, just saying that was what I had been hearing.

But even as a bust, I can't see his performance dropping his value to the level of a guy who is showing signs of having peaked 4 years ago.

If this were the Braves instead of the Thrashers, I'd be pretty well convinced that there's something other than on-ice involved in giving up on him. However, this is Waddell, so absent anything solid along those lines, I'm inclined to think it's just a really bad trade.

edit to add: If the ajc.com story is accurate, the deal makes at least a little more sense to me now. They're reporting it's Dupuis + a 3rd round pick for Bourret, whereas tsn.ca had it as Dupuis for Bourret+a 3rd round pick.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-27-2007 at 03:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #882
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I think the issue with Smyth is that the Oilers weren't interested in making a deal until they finished contract negotiations with him, so despite the rumors he wasn't really on the market. Negotiations fell through and the Oilers made a trade...

To me this lies on Kevin Lowe for leaving this to the last minute... he could have got so much more and he should have known Smyth wouldn't budget on his contract demands.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #883
bbor
Pro Starter

Smyth will more than likely resign in EDM after the season.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #884
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

So now the Oilers are saying they had this deal in place prior to the deadline just in case the negotiations fell through.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #885
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

So we trade Modry for Norstrom? don't know much about either prospect, but it seems like a wash here.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #886
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Smyth will more than likely resign in EDM after the season.

I don't get people saying this. From all appearances it seems that Edmonton isn't willing to pay him the $5.5 Million he wants... unless that changes he's not coming back.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #887
Travis
Pro Rookie

I heavily doubt we ever see Smyth in an Oilers uniform again. If he wanted to be here, he could have been, but if the numbers (5 years at 5.25 per) are accurate as to what Smyth wanted to stay here, I wish him luck wherever he ends up after free agency, as there is simply no way he'll be worth that. For 3, maybe even 4 years of it, but definitely not 5. We're already burdened with overpaying Horcoff, Pisani and Roloson because of their seasons/playoffs last year, we couldn't afford to do another.

If Smyth really wanted to play out his career here, he could have had 5.25-5.5 per on a 3 year deal, probably 5 per on a 4 year and 4.75ish on a 5 year with a reduction in pay during the final season, but he choose to look at a number, and good on Lowe for putting the team first and not taking the easy route and giving in (especially with all the fan sentiment).

I don't doubt he'll get 5.25-6 per (as crazy as that might sound) on the open market as all it takes is 1 GM to go nuts for him. We got what we could, whether that was as much as some others may have given can be up for debate, but as an Oilers fan, I can do nothing but support this trade based on the information we've got so far.

Now I just hope it means we can resign Sykora to a 2-3 year deal, maybe go after a certain RFA or do up a package to move into the top 7 in this years draft and get (hopefully) an impact player in that manner. Smyth was a very valuable member of this team, but while he was the best at what he does, we have a lot of guys with similar skill sets, while we're woefully short of open ice skill players. If this means we can get somebody to play Hemsky's role on another line (puck carrier/setup man), then the benefit is even more.

Last edited by Travis : 02-27-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #888
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
*a bunch of stuff*

I have to say, I was going to post something like "Smyth is worth a gajillion dollars, or whatever. I have to admit, though, I was a bit surprised to see his career stats - he's never had more than 70 points. Does he just score all his points against the Avs? Because he is always light's out when he plays us
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #889
Pyser
Pro Rookie

devils trade hale and a 5th for a 3rd

not a big fan of this trade. i always liked hale, and thought he was never really given a truly fair shake. i would *guess* this clears enough salary to activate matvichuk, which is all well and good, as long as he stays healthy. if he doesnt, then it falls on andy greene or someone else from the AHL.

very odd to see all the rumors about the devils saying we are looking to add a D-man, and instead send one away.

also, not terribly interesting to note, but the devs got a 3rd rounder in the deal...the same round their Korolyuk trade was supposed to net before it was cancelled. guess they have their eye on someone in the 3rd??
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #890
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I have to say, I was going to post something like "Smyth is worth a gajillion dollars, or whatever. I have to admit, though, I was a bit surprised to see his career stats - he's never had more than 70 points. Does he just score all his points against the Avs? Because he is always light's out when he plays us

Smyth does tend to play well against them, but in the end, he's not a focal point. He does a great job of getting in tight, screening the goalie and getting goals from tips/rebounds/etc, but he's not a guy who is a threat anywhere else on the ice, offensively anyways. He's a fantastic penalty killer (got lots of those), but even his ability to hop past a defenseman along the boards on the rush has gone downhill a lot in the last couple years. He's benefitted a lot (as has Horcoff) from getting a lot of ice time with Hemsky and on the first powerplay unit. When Hemsky was taken off that line, both of them suffered from slumps, Smyth not quite as badly as he was still getting the power play/shovel goals that he's famous for.

A leader to be sure, responsible at both ends, but again, both areas the Oilers are well stocked in. His biggest asset to the team is his downlow play, and that's just not worth 5+ a year.

I just hope this means that MacT leaves a true shooter on Hemsky's line going forward as that should help spike our offense. But the true value of this trade will be measured in the offseason when we see how they decide to use those resources instead of signing Smyth.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #891
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Nashville == Forsberg
Dallas == Nagy
San Jose == Guerin
Detroit == Bertuzzi

ANAHEIM == CHRIS PRONGER

---

WTF? Nuff said.

Corrected. Ya, it wasnt a deadline deal, but I don't really think Anaheim needs to change anything.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #892
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I heavily doubt we ever see Smyth in an Oilers uniform again. If he wanted to be here, he could have been, but if the numbers (5 years at 5.25 per) are accurate as to what Smyth wanted to stay here, I wish him luck wherever he ends up after free agency, as there is simply no way he'll be worth that. For 3, maybe even 4 years of it, but definitely not 5. We're already burdened with overpaying Horcoff, Pisani and Roloson because of their seasons/playoffs last year, we couldn't afford to do another.

If Smyth really wanted to play out his career here, he could have had 5.25-5.5 per on a 3 year deal, probably 5 per on a 4 year and 4.75ish on a 5 year with a reduction in pay during the final season, but he choose to look at a number, and good on Lowe for putting the team first and not taking the easy route and giving in (especially with all the fan sentiment).

I don't doubt he'll get 5.25-6 per (as crazy as that might sound) on the open market as all it takes is 1 GM to go nuts for him. We got what we could, whether that was as much as some others may have given can be up for debate, but as an Oilers fan, I can do nothing but support this trade based on the information we've got so far.

Now I just hope it means we can resign Sykora to a 2-3 year deal, maybe go after a certain RFA or do up a package to move into the top 7 in this years draft and get (hopefully) an impact player in that manner. Smyth was a very valuable member of this team, but while he was the best at what he does, we have a lot of guys with similar skill sets, while we're woefully short of open ice skill players. If this means we can get somebody to play Hemsky's role on another line (puck carrier/setup man), then the benefit is even more.

First off...don't like to see Smyth go...especially under these circumstances. A lot of die hard Oiler fans are going to be at Northlands tonight and I bet you that 90% of them hate this deal with a passion and if Kevin Lowe so much as shows his face on the Jumbotron, the place is going to erupt...and not in a good way. Definitely bad timing as Messier deserves better...much, much better.

With that said, I understand that the deal had to be done but you have got to be kidding me...a lot of teams would've paid MUCH more than what the Islanders did and that is what I have a problem with. Lowe waited too long or underestimated what he was up against when it came time to try to sign Smyth and he has paid dearly for that oversight. How do you not know where you stand with your best player come contract time? Terrible job by Kevin Lowe.

What's done is done. Obviously this season is in the books and that isn't a result of this trade but I don't see how next year is any better except that we've got some money to play with in the free agency market this summer. Neither of the players we picked up are of any use next year and unless they use this oppurtunity to call up Schremp to get him seasoning in the Bigs...next season will be an even longer one.

Oh...and I don't want Sykora back...heck, I wanted him gone today. The guy can't skate for crying out loud!!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #893
Galaxy
Coordinator

Can anyone tell me much about Zubrus? Does he have the speed?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #894
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I just hope this means that MacT leaves a true shooter on Hemsky's line going forward as that should help spike our offense.

Yay! More Ice time for Toby!
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #895
Travis
Pro Rookie

Heh, all this does (re: Smyth) is open up funds. Sykora is a good shooter, works well on the point on the PP and has shown chemistry with Hemsky. Personally, I hope we see Lupul make strides next year and move to the left side on a line with Hemmer. Drop Sykora down to the second line with hopefully our second puck carrier/setup guy and you have two balanced scoring lines along with a relatively potent powerplay.

Also, in a season or two (haven't looked up the specifics), Stoll will be due for a big raise, you'll get one more relatively cheap contract out of Pouliot, then price raises for Smid, Greene, etc on the back end. I can only hope Horcoff is dealt in his contract year and that we spend goaltending money wisely after Roloson is off the books, but tying up money in Smyth at the level he wanted would have blocked moves in the future.

Could we have gotten more for Smyth? Maybe, but I'd be very surprised that there were very many GM's that really didn't know he was out there to be had. Lowe has shown himself to be pretty good at this at least until now. Sure there've been a couple blunders, but with his track record thus far, I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

Heck, I might even put him on the Christmas card list if he pulls the rug out on MacT and trades Toby during the offseason.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #896
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I'd prefer Toby on the point to Sykora (Stoll is the best choice of course!) solely because he can do something defensively if the situation arises. Sykora has a hard enough time skating forwards let alone backwards. And, 8 goals in his last 40 games...yikes...he's not the answer.

As for chemistry with Hemsky...just don't get caught watching the show and expect a pass when you least expect it...there, that's how you play with Hemsky. Smyth had his stick on the ice and has a nose for the puck...that's they why they worked well together.

Well, for the rest of the season, I'd like to see Schremp called up...put on a line with Pouliot and maybe Sykora or Nedved and leave Horcoff with Hemsky and plugin in any of our plugger type wingers...heck, maybe even dress Winchester...he can usually mix it up enough to create a turnover or two...a la Ryan Smyth. MacT is going to have to let some of the young guys play and let them make mistakes before they learn how to get any better instead of watching from the pressbox or the end of the bench.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #897
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I'd prefer Toby on the point to Sykora (Stoll is the best choice of course!) solely because he can do something defensively if the situation arises. Sykora has a hard enough time skating forwards let alone backwards. And, 8 goals in his last 40 games...yikes...he's not the answer.

This is exactly what is wrong with the coaching staff in Edmonton. They should be trying to maximize the goal scoring opportunities instead of worrying who can and can't cover defensively on the power play. This the reason Schremp won't see ice time under MacT. He's too concerned with how many scoring opportunities Schremp gives up because of poor defensive play, then how many scoring opportunities Schremp creates. Whatever the question is Toby Peterson certainly isn't the answer, unless you're asking MacT.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #898
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
This is exactly what is wrong with the coaching staff in Edmonton. They should be trying to maximize the goal scoring opportunities instead of worrying who can and can't cover defensively on the power play. This the reason Schremp won't see ice time under MacT. He's too concerned with how many scoring opportunities Schremp gives up because of poor defensive play, then how many scoring opportunities Schremp creates. Whatever the question is Toby Peterson certainly isn't the answer, unless you're asking MacT.

I'm not a MacT fan, either, believe me...but, when you don't have a defenseman who has the skill to play the PP, then you probably shouldn't be leaving yourself with Sykora as your last man back...IF and WHEN Hemsky coughs up the puck.

I love watching Hemsky...he's just sick when he dangles like he can. But, I've played enough hockey to not join the choruses yelling "SHOOT!!" when he's trying to create the best oppurtunity to score...and, with that comes turnovers and the rest of the NHL has figured that out...heck, they figured it out last season...pressure the puck on our PP and you'll more than likely kill off the penalty not to mention end up with a decent scoring chance of your own. The problem on our PP is not who's on defense but how they are approaching the situation. Without Ryan Smyth to plunk in front of the net that is going to have to change...or at least it better!!! Yes, Craig Simpson, I'm talking to YOU!!!!

With that said, I'm looking forward to watching the Messier stuff but I'll probably turn off the TV after it's done and head to the mall a little early...I've got a game of my own tonight and can't wait to hear what the boys have to say about the deal.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #899
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kyle Calder, 5 seconds into his first shift as a Wing, scores a goal.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #900
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

The Messier affair was very well done...I was choking back the tears...lots of great memories.

Noticebly absent from the festivities...Kevin Lowe. Shocker. It's really too bad, too...he and Messier were teammates for a long time, both here and in NY. I'm sure he would've been a big part of the night if it were not for the Smyth trade...and that's a shame.