Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #851
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I've been avoiding the news the past few days...what did he do/say?

Claimed that after watching tape, he felt that the better team lost.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #852
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Claimed that after watching tape, he felt that the better team lost.

Must have been watching tape from the first regular season Giants / Dallas game.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #853
sabotai
General Manager

The full quote is "After looking at the tape, I feel like the best team lost the game. I thought we outplayed them."
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #854
JeeberD
General Manager

Wade needs to shut the hell up and work on teaching his players how to tackle, catch the ball, and pass block. If we had done those three things, we probably would have won easily.

Sucks how slacking on the basics comes back to bite you in the ass.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #855
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The full quote is "After looking at the tape, I feel like the best team lost the game. I thought we outplayed them."

So he's basically admitting the coaching sucked?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #856
Loren
High School JV

Soooo the man refuses to post and help a girl out.. does ANYONE know where I could find a Ryan Grant jersey I've looked online everywhere and can't find one except ebay which will take too long to buy and get mailed out..doesnt anyone live in WISCONSIN, im DESPERATE
and I hope a ginormous stampede of cows runs over Wade he's an idiot
Loren
Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #857
st.cronin
General Manager

Does anybody have good knowledge of Rivers, LDT, and Gates health? What exactly is wrong with them, and how limited are they likely to be?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #858
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Soooo the man refuses to post and help a girl out.. does ANYONE know where I could find a Ryan Grant jersey I've looked online everywhere and can't find one except ebay which will take too long to buy and get mailed out..doesnt anyone live in WISCONSIN, im DESPERATE
and I hope a ginormous stampede of cows runs over Wade he's an idiot
Loren

If you can't find one anywhere, you can try out nflshop.com and choose a customizable jersey. I believe it lets you pick which player on the team you want and it will let you buy a jersey with that name and number.

Hope that helps!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #859
Groundhog
Coordinator

Earlier today I read:

Rivers - Knee injury, and is Questionable, though closer to doubtful than probable.
LDT - Knee as well, is Probable.
Gates - Toe injury, almost certainly.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #860
st.cronin
General Manager

So LDT and Gates will play at <100% and Rivers likely will not? Is that the consensus?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #861
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

welcome back Loren
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #862
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
So LDT and Gates will play at <100% and Rivers likely will not? Is that the consensus?

Yeah, looked at a couple of sites and that's the consensus today at least.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #863
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I'm guessing Rivers will play. He may not stay in the game long, but I bet he plays.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #864
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

Terrible coaching right there. That's classic on how not to motivate your team. So next season, what does he say to them "oh you're so good, it was just unlucky we didn't win?"

No, instead you talk about how your team screwed up and if guys come out at the start of the season like they did in the Giants game, he'll cut their ass in a second. He can't do that now because he's already said in essence that the team played well.

Jerry Jones deserved exactly what he got.

Anyways, judging from the tape I saw, it was clear to me that the Giants outplayed the Cowboys in the second half. Unfortunately, Wade decided to look at just the first half tape. Seriously though, what upper tier coach would ever be caught saying something like that.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 01-16-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #865
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Big surprise Wade is a lousy coach. What exactly does he do besides get Jerry Jones coffee? Loved how Jones was standing right next to him in the closing minutes of the game.

Going to be hurricane force winds at gillette sunday. Two wind games this year for the Pats were horrible. Could be a concern.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #866
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Big surprise Wade is a lousy coach. What exactly does he do besides get Jerry Jones coffee? Loved how Jones was standing right next to him in the closing minutes of the game.

WTF was up with that? I can't say that I have never seen anything like that. Owners on the sidelines? I can't say I like it but hey I can deal with it. Owners standing right next to eh head coach in the last two minutes of a game? Hell no!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #867
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
WTF was up with that? I can't say that I have never seen anything like that. Owners on the sidelines? I can't say I like it but hey I can deal with it. Owners standing right next to eh head coach in the last two minutes of a game? Hell no!

Maybe I am wrong about this, but I could swear I remember Jerry Jones doing this for years, or at least I thought I remembered the local talk radio making a huge deal about it when I lived in Dallas back in the late 90s...

Maybe I am just getting senile though, but I could have sworn that this isn't anything new..
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #868
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Maybe I am wrong about this, but I could swear I remember Jerry Jones doing this for years, or at least I thought I remembered the local talk radio making a huge deal about it when I lived in Dallas back in the late 90s...

Maybe I am just getting senile though, but I could have sworn that this isn't anything new..

Well I am pretty sure he was not standing next to Bill Parcells at the end of the game last year in Seattle.

I know he is on the sidelines a lot. But everytime I have ever seen him he has been sort of away from the team until the game was well in hand in favor of the Cowboys. Sunday, he could have hand signaled the plays in to Romo.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #869
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Terrible coaching right there. That's classic on how not to motivate your team. So next season, what does he say to them "oh you're so good, it was just unlucky we didn't win?"

Jerry Jones deserved exactly what he got.

Anyways, judging from the tape I saw, it was clear to me that the Giants outplayed the Cowboys in the second half. Unfortunately, Wade decided to look at just the first half tape. Seriously though, what upper tier coach would ever be caught saying something like that.

That is what you get for hiring Wade Phillips. He is a poor coach who was 0 and 3 in the playoffs. 0 and 4 should not be a surprise. I think Jones picked him up because Wade has as history of being a wuss and at 60 he is only getting more wussified. Jones knows Wade will do whatever Jones wants without putting up a fight.

I think Jones was looking for a scenario like he had with Barry Switzer. Someone who would come in and take a team that a better man built and steer it across the finish line on his knees in front of JJ.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #870
JeeberD
General Manager

Jerry's almost ALWAYS on the sideline by the fourth quarter. Nothing new at all...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #871
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Jerry's almost ALWAYS on the sideline by the fourth quarter. Nothing new at all...

Not standing right next to the head coach. How embarassing.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #872
JeeberD
General Manager

He's done that plenty of times...

Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #873
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
He's done that plenty of times...

don't you find it a little demeaning to the coach?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #874
JeeberD
General Manager

Meh. He owns the team. He owns the stadium. He can stand wherever he wants to.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #875
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

I've probably just become desensitized to Jerry's meddling. it used to piss me off, not so much anymore...

Old 01-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #876
molson
General Manager

Tony Dungy is hugely overrated. He got fired in Tampa Bay primarily because of his performance in the playoffs, and in Indianapolis, he has arguably been worse in that regard, considering the talent there.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #877
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Tony Dungy is hugely overrated. He got fired in Tampa Bay primarily because of his performance in the playoffs, and in Indianapolis, he has arguably been worse in that regard, considering the talent there.

Corpse of Lombardi could win 12 or 13 games with that team.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #878
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Overrated when compared to which current coach?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #879
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Overrated when compared to which current coach?

I don't think "overrated" implies a comparison with any other coach, but since you asked, I'd say he's the most overrated coach in the entire NFL. Not the worst coach, but definitely the most overrated.

The media is absolutely in love with him, I'm guessing because he's so nice to them.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #880
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I hate Dungy, preachy high horsed asshole he is. Not sure I'd call him overrated though. He was told to win with all his money in Manning and co. Easier said than done.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #881
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I can only hope the PA system started playing "Don't Stand so Close to Me"
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #882
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think "overrated" implies a comparison with any other coach, but since you asked, I'd say he's the most overrated coach in the entire NFL. Not the worst coach, but definitely the most overrated.

I'm guessing this is Patriots bias talking .

I really don't consider Dungy to be overrated at all. Now Gruden, he's incredibly overrated. I mean Dungy is bring Tampa Bay along, but the GM doesn't really give him any QB's that can throw worth a crap. Then Gruden comes in and suddenly, they get Brad Johnson cheap, and a slightly above average QB can take the team to a SuperBowl win. Yet, people think Chucky just was a better coach... BS.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #883
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

The media is absolutely in love with him, I'm guessing because he's so nice to them.

I disagree. In order for him to be overrated, he has to first be rated, no? For example, if I rate Dungy higher then Belichek, then yes he is overrated. If I rated him lower than Tony Sparano, then he is underrated. Here are the coaches I believe are rated higher than Dungy no particular order by the media and the general football public.

Bill Belichek

Jeff Fisher

Mike Shanahan

Andy Reid

John Fox- though he has slipped this year but I don't think he is viewed as being below Dungy

Jon Gruden

Mike Holmgren

I think most people would put Dungy next after that group.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #884
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I disagree. In order for him to be overrated, he has to first be rated, no? For example, if I rate Dungy higher then Belichek, then yes he is overrated. If I rated him lower than Tony Sparano, then he is underrated. Here are the coaches I believe are rated higher than Dungy no particular order by the media and the general football public.

Bill Belichek

Jeff Fisher

Mike Shanahan

Andy Reid

John Fox- though he has slipped this year but I don't think he is viewed as being below Dungy

Jon Gruden

Mike Holmgren

I think most people would put Dungy next after that group.

OK, I see your point.

I perceived Dungy to be ranked overall (by media and fans from my experience) as the #2 coach in the NFL. Part of that is my anti-Colt bias, (and that I get annoyed when I hear about him, so I notice it more)

I hope he stays, because overall, the Pats have handled Dungy's Colts. I do feel the momentum could shift with a better coach.

Last edited by molson : 01-17-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #885
Kodos
Resident Alien

What coach that is available is better than Dungy?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #886
miami_fan
Coordinator

The more I look at the current crop of head coaches, the more I wonder about the super genius assistant coach getting their first head coaching job.

Remember how brilliant some of these guys were when they were assistants?

Marvin Lewis
Gary Kubiak
Scott Linehan
Mike Nolan
Ken Wisenhunt
John Fox

All have time to get better, All, except Lewis and Fox, probably have not been head coaches long enough to be given a fair judgement. But based on the hype when they were hired, you would have believed that one of them would have won a SB by now.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #887
bhlloy
Coordinator

Different league, but don't forget Charlie Weis in there as well. Also Norv Turner (although I guess he's redeemed himself this year somewhat) and Gregg Williams spring to mind. HC is definitely a completely different kettle of fish to being a great co-ordinator.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #888
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

John Fox hasn't been that bad though. He did get his team to a SuperBowl. And unlike some of the hot shot coordinators, his team's strength is on what he was a coordinator for (defense) .

And Hell, Whisenhunt went 8-8 with the Cardinals. That's their best record SINCE 1998! Yeah, they've been that bad. So he's actually been very successful so far.

And, of course, everyone knows the Bengals were an absolute mess before Marvin Lewis got there. I mean his teams are usually around .500, but that's actually very good compared to the late 90s, early 00s.