Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #801
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Raiders don't look that bad. McFadden actually looks pretty solid and Bush is a good power back. Couple things that don't make sense:

Why don't they use Russell more on scrambles and rollouts where he can use his mobility?

Why don't they run more screens and flat passes instead of going downfield all the time?

Russell isn't *that* mobile, from what I've heard/remember....
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #802
TroyF
Coordinator

Bishop,

277 sounds good. The reality is it was far worse.

1) The Bills offense sucks. And they were missing a huge weapon on top of that.
2) Edwards had a QB rating of 114.1.
3) The Bills averaged 4.7 yards a carry.
4) Two Bills drives ended essentially because of penalties. Not penalties the Patriots forced. Two illegal formation penalties took away 31 total yards and two huge first downs that killed drives.

The reality is that defense is pretty brutal. If Mayo is out for any length of time, it's really brutal. The Patriots are going to have to win a lot of games 42-38 this year. Don't get me wrong, they'll do it. But this team doesn't look a lot different than some of those Colts teams of yesteryear. Brady will lock this team into 11-12 wins himself (as Manning did for the Colts)

If I don't see a big improvement out of the defense, it'll end just like those Manning teams. With an exit in the playoffs after someone contains their offense and exposes the defense.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #803
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think they're probably suffering from exposure too. The first couple of years I watched them fairly frequently in the mornings, at least for a segment or two. Now? Good grief, I can't remember the last time I bothered. Somewhere along the way the show jumped the shark for me, specifically with regard to how silly they can get with their promotions.

Yeah - I've said on her many times that when they started they were pretty good. They've become BIG time caricatures now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #804
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Bishop,

277 sounds good. The reality is it was far worse.

2) Edwards had a QB rating of 114.1.
3) The Bills averaged 4.7 yards a carry.
4) Two Bills drives ended essentially because of penalties. Not penalties the Patriots forced. Two illegal formation penalties took away 31 total yards and two huge first downs that killed drives.

The reality is that defense is pretty brutal. If Mayo is out for any length of time, it's really brutal. The Patriots are going to have to win a lot of games 42-38 this year. Don't get me wrong, they'll do it. But this team doesn't look a lot different than some of those Colts teams of yesteryear. Brady will lock this team into 11-12 wins himself (as Manning did for the Colts)

If I don't see a big improvement out of the defense, it'll end just like those Manning teams. With an exit in the playoffs after someone contains their offense and exposes the defense.

I agree with Troy. I think we just have to hope that Mayo is okay and that the (very young) defense "gels" as the season goes on and improves to the point where it makes them a danger in the playoffs. They don't have to be a shutdown D, they just need to be a "bend but don't break" D - like they have been in past years.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #805
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That Murphy call was right by the way. One angle showed it much better, but they never went back to it. Just another poor job by the whole broadcast.
I hope you're talking about the reversed touchdown call (which I saw) and not something from the second half (which I didn't see). So if it's the former, here's my response:

Good, I wasn't just seeing things. Apparently, the "bad call" is spreading like a virus, though. I heard some radio guys in Pittsburgh complaining about it this morning. Unless it's the most blatant bad call in the history of history, why in the world would Pittsburgh guys be complaining about something that happened in an AFC West game? Why would they care? They made it sound like these were the worst officials ever. If people are going to pick on the officials that much, at least do it over a call that is clearly, indisputably, 100% wrong. Don't do it over a call that is merely questionable. Now I remember why I don't listen to the radio much anymore.

If you're talking about something from the second half, I have nothing to add except that my feet are itching.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #806
Logan
Head Coach

You got it, Pumpy Brewster.

Last edited by Logan : 09-15-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #807
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

I won't dispute sucks - their OL is going to take some lumps this year, but what weapon were they missing? Lynch? Jackson is a better back, and Buffalo will be better the sooner they realize it.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #808
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I agree with Troy. I think we just have to hope that Mayo is okay and that the (very young) defense "gels" as the season goes on and improves to the point where it makes them a danger in the playoffs. They don't have to be a shutdown D, they just need to be a "bend but don't break" D - like they have been in past years.

Agreed on this and with Troy. The defense the last few years has been getting worse if anything, especially the secondary.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #809
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
And Pats fans wonder why they grate on people...

Quote:
Only the Pats...

Yes.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #810
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Those announcers for the second game made me turn off the TV and go to bed before the end of the first quarter. I hope they are never on my TV again. Terrible. The PBP Mike (Greenberg?) was actually worse than Bryant Gumbel, which I did not think was possible.

It has nothing to do with his quality. ESPN knows he is terrible.

It is about giving them a 3 hour commercial for their morning show.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #811
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wish there were 2 monday night games every week.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #812
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wish there were 2 monday night games every week.

I thought the same thing.

Especially being on the west coast. It was nice to watch a game the whole night.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #813
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Shawn Andrews is out for the year...looks like Runyan will be back with the Eagles soon.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #814
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Andrews Out for Season With Injured Back
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #815
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It has nothing to do with his quality. ESPN knows he is terrible.

It is about giving them a 3 hour commercial for their morning show.

But when it instigates people to turn off their televisions, is that really a good plug?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #816
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Especially being on the west coast. It was nice to watch a game the whole night.

And as an East-Coaster I appreciated the 7PM kickoff that let me watch the entire Patriots game without killing my sleep.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #817
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
What awful playcalling at the end of the game. Not the player's fault. I am so disappointed. They played so hard and I haven't been this into a Raiders game in 6 years. I woke my wife up several times throughout the game with my yelling and other than watching sports I never yell.

The only time I can remember waking up my wife with yelling was a MNF game 4-5 seasons back where Dallas had shut out Washington for three and a half quarters until they inexplicably allowed Santana Moss to catch two long TD bombs (partially by involving Roy Williams the safety in the coverage) and blow the game (the waking her up was me yelling "Shit!" after the second one).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #818
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
So I set up the DVR to record the game tonight because I knew I'd be about 30 minutes late and would have a few interruptions throughout the evening. I'm slowly catching up and, despite the completely bullshit Illegal Contact call against Harris, thoroughly enjoying the game.

So imagine my horror when, just after the 2:00 warning, the video stops and I get a message on the screen asking if I wish to delete the recording. That's right, the DVR only allotted 3hrs and 15 minutes for the game, and it stopped recording RIGHT FREAKING THERE.

Rookie mistake, dude. Extend the end time!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #819
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I kind dig the new Old Spice commercial. I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone who actually uses Old Spice, but I like most of their commercials.

I've used Old Spice deodorant and aftershave since I was old enough to use deodorant and aftershave. I also shaved out of a mug until I was 21....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You guys like Gruden on MNF? Not too bad, IMO. He's a lot better then many of the guys they've had for a long time.

First time in ages I've watched MNF and not seriously considered turning the sound off, so Gruden++.

Quote:
What is also incredible is how they take advantage of it every single time. You get stupid, you get burned when you play the Patriots. Every single time.

I can't believe I haven't noticed this before, but I particularly enjoyed the shots of Belichick making little notes on his piece of paper after every boneheaded play one of his players' made. It's easy to picture him, the day after, going "OK, so we won. Let's review this list I made of all the stupid shit you all did."

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #820
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Watching a great QB work is one of the more awesome sights in sports. That you can have a game with 22 guys on the field and such complex schemes being run--and still have one guy just take it over like that--there really is nothing like it.

Watching a goalie or a starting pitcher who is in the zone is sort of like it. But, even then, those sports are designed to highlight individual greatness in those positions. Football differs. The quarterback is the most important guy on the field, certainly, but he still needs to manage the other guys on the field, while taking over the game, while making all of throws that he needs to make, while serving as the emotional leader of the offense.

Nothing like it, IMHO.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #821
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Watching a great QB work is one of the more awesome sights in sports. That you can have a game with 22 guys on the field and such complex schemes being run--and still have one guy just take it over like that--there really is nothing like it.

Watching a goalie or a starting pitcher who is in the zone is sort of like it. But, even then, those sports are designed to highlight individual greatness in those positions. Football differs. The quarterback is the most important guy on the field, certainly, but he still needs to manage the other guys on the field, while taking over the game, while making all of throws that he needs to make, while serving as the emotional leader of the offense.

Nothing like it, IMHO.

Do you have The NFL Sunday Ticket? If so, I'd recommend you try to watch as many Lions games as possible. This happens with quite some regularity in their games. They tend to make even pedestrian quaterbacks look like great quaterbacks taking over a game like that. It's impressive.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #822
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Erin Andrews is out for the year...looks like Rupaul will be back with ESPN soon.

Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #823
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Hey Vince, Pt. II.

Heya, Ronnie Dobbs2.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #824
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*sigh* this is uncalled for

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn

HAMBURG, N.Y. -- The front lawn of a home belonging to Bills cornerback Leodis McKelvin was vandalized following Buffalo's season-opening loss to New England.

Hamburg police on Tuesday confirmed the home of a Bills player was vandalized, but declined to release details of their investigation after an obscenity and the score of Monday night's game -- a 25-24 loss to the Patriots -- were painted in white on the player's lawn in suburban Buffalo.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #825
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That's a bummer. The decision wasn't as bad with all the room he had, and the desire to get it to the two-minute warning, but he really does have to protect that football at all costs. But this sort of reaction is totally uncalled for.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #826
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
OMFG ONLY THE BENGALS!!!!

Haven't been around due to a trip, but I just wanted to say if that does not seal the Bengals spot as the most snake bitten, nothing will. Funny thing is, I was ready for it to happen. I was waiting to see how the Broncos would win the game.

I was hoping it would be due to prevent defense and giving denver too much room to move into FG territory for a guy that had already hit from 50 and 48.. Was happy to see we didn't fall into the prevent, and I love what Zimmer is doing with the defense, but..

Typical Bengals though. One phase plays great. the other is seemingly lost. Then when things look up, they find a way to lose still, despite not allowing Denver inside their 30 until there were 11 seconds left.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #827
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
That's a bummer. The decision wasn't as bad with all the room he had, and the desire to get it to the two-minute warning, but he really does have to protect that football at all costs. But this sort of reaction is totally uncalled for.

It a bad decision because the Bills did not have a return formation out on the field. They had the hands team playing up front. Of course, Dick Jauron's post-game comments had me just hating Jauron more.

"Following the game, McKelvin said he was disappointed that he fumbled but noted he would run the ball out of the end zone again if given the same opportunity.

"Next time I get the opportunity, I am going to hold on and make a better decision," he said.

Coach Dick Jauron defended McKelvin.

"He's a dynamic runner and he was trying to win a football game, ice a football game," Jauron said, adding that McKelvin attempted to protect the ball with two hands. "It's just one of those things that happens, but I don't have any problems with Leodis. He plays the game hard."

However, it's no excuse for the idiot vandalizing his home.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-16-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #828
RendeR
Coordinator

As much as I can understand wanting to run the time down to teh 2 minute warning and even if he DID see a ton of space out there, he was 3 yards deep in the ends zone with 2 minutes to play.

Sit the fuck down and take the ball at the 20. His decision was gutsy, gritty and frankly, Stupid. You just cannot take chances with the ball when you're up and time is on your side.

The Bengals lost on a freak accident of a play, the Bills lost because one of their best players made a really bone headed decision.

And no, it still does not give any excuse for vandalizing someone's home. I hope they find the fucker that did it and prosecute his lame ass.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #829
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Coach Dick Jauron defended McKelvin.

"He's a dynamic runner and he was trying to win a football game, ice a football game," Jauron said, adding that McKelvin attempted to protect the ball with two hands. "It's just one of those things that happens, but I don't have any problems with Leodis. He plays the game hard."

Maybe he's just protecting the player but it sounds like the coaching staff is who blew it here. If they instructed him not to return the kick before the play, they would have won the game.

I mean, it seems obvious - you don't have your normal return team, so don't go crazy on the return. Don't give your player the choice.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #830
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
*sigh* this is uncalled for

Reminds me of Tommy Maddox. Fucker through a walkoff interception vs the Jags, and someone supposedly through shit all over his yard. While it really depends what the actual was, I get the level of frustration, but don't condone the actions of the guys who did it.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #831
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The only time I can remember waking up my wife with yelling was a MNF game 4-5 seasons back where Dallas had shut out Washington for three and a half quarters until they inexplicably allowed Santana Moss to catch two long TD bombs (partially by involving Roy Williams the safety in the coverage) and blow the game (the waking her up was me yelling "Shit!" after the second one).

Admittedly she was sleeping on the couch next to me, so it's not like I had to be that loud
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #832
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Reminds me of Tommy Maddox. Fucker through a walkoff interception vs the Jags, and someone supposedly through shit all over his yard. While it really depends what the actual was, I get the level of frustration, but don't condone the actions of the guys who did it.

I don't.

I think we all know I am an idiot fan, but when the game ends even I let it go.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 AM   #833
Danny
Head Coach

Raiders loss had me riled up a bit until I went to bed. But to carry it into future days is a bit much.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #834
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I spend about six hours in my car every night doing my delivery thing. So I guess I don't really do anything important at work, and my mind wonders and stuff. I'd probably care less about sports if I had important things to do at work.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:56 AM   #835
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

See, I think that even with the hands team out there, it's not that bad a decision. If you take a knee, you have to run at least one play before the two minute warning. The Patriots then get the ball back with about 1:40 to play, pretty good field position, and one timeout - unless you can get a first down. With all the space McKelvin had, I think it would have been perfect for him to run it up and slide before he got to contact.

While I think the decision to run it out was merely questionable, taking that hit was horrible, and staying on your feet after the first hit was utterly atrocious. Get the hell down.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 09-16-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #836
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't.

I think we all know I am an idiot fan, but when the game ends even I let it go.

See, I typically am a pretty cool guy about it...but stuff like this - losing a game that you really, really should have won to a boneheaded play/decision - can sometimes tick me off for days.

When it comes to the World Series in 2002, I don't think I'll ever let it go. I'll check back with you when the Giants win their next World Series and let you know. I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 AM   #837
Epi_862
Mascot

Quote:
See, I think that even with the hands team out there, it's not that bad a decision. If you take a knee, you have to run at least one play before the two minute warning. The Patriots then get the ball back with about 1:40 to play, pretty good field position, and one timeout - unless you can get a first down. With all the space McKelvin had, I think it would have been perfect for him to run it up and slide before he got to contact.

While I think the decision to run it out was merely questionable, taking that hit was horrible, and staying on your feet after the first hit was utterly atrocious. Get the hell down.

Man... This is one of those things where hindsight is 20/20. Fumbles happen, and i just think, in the sport of football, you cannot let the worst possible outcome dictate your actions. If it makes any sense.

What i dont understand is why are you (not YOU Vince II, but people in general) focusing on the hands team being out there? They are still football players. He would've gotten tackled with ANY special teams unit in there. And he might have fumbled still. You have to trust your special teamers to make the plays.

Dont let the broadcasters/radio hacks opinions influence your own, it seems these hindsight-wise-ass remarks always spread like wildfire. Fumbles happen. Interceptions happen. We can always say, "he shouldnt have done that", but the reality is that you play the game a certain way, you play to win, like he did on that return, and it just so happens that this time it ended up badly. Sure, it cost the game, but the decision itself was not bad. The outcome was.

EDIT:

Just to clarify what im getting at: When, say, Reggie Bush does some dumb-ass dance in the backfield and takes a loss of 8 yards, everyone in the booth is shitting on him. When another guy does the exact same dumb-ass shit, but by sheer luck and bad tackling turns it up for a plus 5, the guys in the booth are calling him a genius. And this hindsighted, "we gotta keep talking for 3 hours so just say whatever" mentality has spread to the fans too - or maybe it has always been there.

Now, for a running back, dancing in the backfield is a dumb ass decision 100% of the time. Sure, while the game is going, our emotions might say otherwise, but after the fact - lets look at it objectively. You should never do it.

And, again, the point being: Go back to the spot where he fielded the kick, pause the video, and look at the situation in front of him objectively. You really think he should've kneeled? I certainly dont. He played to win, had some bad luck. 9 times out of ten thats a good play. This was 10 of 10.

Last edited by Epi_862 : 09-16-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Grammar
Epi_862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #838
boberot
High School Varsity

I agree with the decision to run it out. Getting the clock to the 2-minute warning could be very influential in the outcome of the game. Wrap it up like a fullback who's gonna run it up the gut and just go down after first contact.

Better yet, run it up the sideline and step out of bounds if somebody's gonna tackle you. Isn't that why we have a guy whose whole job is coaching special teams?
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #839
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Isn't that why we have a guy whose whole job is coaching special teams?

Not only do they have one, they have Bobby April, the reigning special teams coach of the year.

Then again, he's not the guy who fumbled the football.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-16-2009 at 06:58 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #840
Logan
Head Coach

One other point about him running it out is that he was very close to catching it in front of the goal line, with his momentum taking him back further into the end zone. If he wasn't sure if he was 100% in the end zone when he caught it, it's dangerous to take a knee there and hope that the ref rules that to be a touchback.

Yes, he should have protected the ball though...not disputing that. But as Brandon Stokley has been praised for endlessly, getting time off the clock at a crucial point is pretty important too.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #841
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

I get the two minute warning thing. Run for 5 seconds and then dive to the ground.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #842
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the problem wasn't the decision per se, it was the execution of the decision
Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #843
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The problem was his indecision on whether to down it or run it out. Hesitation on a kick return almost always leads to trouble. If you almost touch your knee, you should have downed it every time.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #844
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
just go down after first contact.

This.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #845
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
One other point about him running it out is that he was very close to catching it in front of the goal line, with his momentum taking him back further into the end zone. If he wasn't sure if he was 100% in the end zone when he caught it, it's dangerous to take a knee there and hope that the ref rules that to be a touchback.

This was my thinking too. When he looked up to catch the ball, he was still in front of the goalline. He catches it as he's moving backwards, takes another step, then looks down. Yes, he's in the endzone, but how does he know exactly where he was as the ball came in his hands? It's easy for us to decide on TV, but for him, as it happened, it's borderline and he has to make a split-second decision. I'd have run it out too - you don't want to take a safety at that point in the game.

Also, criticisms of him not going down on the contact... he was being held up by the defenders. He was trying to go down, but they were purposely holding him up (specifically one guy, can't recall his name). So once contact came, it was too late for him to "just get down".

Now, with all that said in his defence... his poor decision was to run into the contact. At that time, in that game situation, he needs to know to just hit the turf as soon as he is approached by defenders. Unfortunately these kick-returner guys are trained to dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge their way through defenders, so its probably pretty close to instinct at that point for him to try his best to gain more yardage.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #846
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Now, with all that said in his defence... his poor decision was to run into the contact. At that time, in that game situation, he needs to know to just hit the turf as soon as he is approached by defenders.

I think this is the point most of us who say "get down" are trying to make. Sure, once he was in contact it may be too late, although he was still trying to churn the legs. Ideal would have been to slide when someone got near, second best to work to get down on contact while holding the ball. It's pretty clear from the replay he's trying to get as much yardage as he can out of the return which is the worst goal for him to have in that situation.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #847
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Also, criticisms of him not going down on the contact... he was being held up by the defenders. He was trying to go down, but they were purposely holding him up (specifically one guy, can't recall his name). So once contact came, it was too late for him to "just get down".

Pretty sure that was Brandon Merriweather, who ultimately got the ball out and really grabbed for it immediately.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #848
boberot
High School Varsity

Like I said, taking it down the sideline removes so much of the risk. In fact, you can avoid contact altogether that way.

[I understand that the guys were trying to hold him up to strip the ball -- that's why his coach should instruct him to cover up and hit the deck once he came upon the throng of tacklers.]
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #849
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I think there's three things we can reasonably conclude from McKelvin's unfortunate mistake:

1. NFL players are relentlessly drilled to do specific things in specific situations and it's difficult to operate against that training (i.e. he's drilled to fight for yards, not hit the deck upon first contact).

2. Having said that, the ability of the average NFL player to adapt to new information and new situations isn't all that great (potentially what makes a great NFL player?)

3. The Patriots have found yet another sneaky way to induce other teams into imploding.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #850
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
3. The Patriots have found yet another sneaky way to induce other teams into imploding.

To continue the earlier hypotheses on the Monday night games, this was clearly the NFL's catchup code at work...