Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #801
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Well, if Favre is crap and gets benched midway through the season, I contend that getting a 4th for him (and a high one at that) is a steal for GB. If he plays most of the season and they get a 3rd, that would be even better. Anyway you slice, GB made out pretty well in this.

Go back and read the past 6-7 pages to see the "GB won't get anything for Brett, they should just release him" comments. Looks like GB might have come out OK in the end, we just need Rodgers to have a solid season at this point to make it a slam dunk.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #802
Hurst2112
College Starter

I'm headin' back to NE Wisconsin this weekend. It will be very interesting to hear what the locals have to say.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #803
molson
General Manager

The real winner in all this is the NFL, and the fans. It'll be overdone in the media, but also legitimately compelling to see how Favre and Rodgers do.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #804
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Yeah, I'm with Blitz on this one. I see Favre playing like his usual self, throwing for 3,800 yards, 30 TDs, and 17 INTs, having a 60% completion percentage, and getting his team into the playoffs.

Fixed that for you so it reflects reality.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #805
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
What happens if the Jets trade Favre to the Bengals who then trade Favre to the Vikings?

Goddell would probably step in and veto the trade.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #806
Izulde
Head Coach

Okay I'm pissed at this trade.

Not only does it make the Jets better, but a buddy of mine called to rub it in that the Dolphins are apparently thinking about getting Chad "No-Fucking-Arm-Left" Pennington.

WTF?!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #807
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

Not only does it make the Jets better, but a buddy of mine called to rub it in that the Dolphins are apparently thinking about getting Chad "No-Fucking-Arm-Left" Pennington.

WTF?!

Yes, what's a QB with a career rating of 90 thinking wanting to join the Dolphins. They apparently would rather have Ray Lucas back.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #808
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

WTF?!

If it helps, he never really had an arm to begin with.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #809
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Miami would be good for Pennington. If he goes anywhere where the fans clap and cheer, those stadiums create subtle air currents that cause Pennington's passes to hang in the air.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #810
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Favre traded to the Jets?

The Madden Curse LIVES!!!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #811
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I would think Pennington would go to KC to rejoin Herm. There's a good chance he would beat out Croyle for the starting spot.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #812
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Yes, what's a QB with a career rating of 90 thinking wanting to join the Dolphins. They apparently would rather have Ray Lucas back.

Yeah, but Ray had an arm!!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #813
Brett_Favre
n00b

I knew I shouldn't have OK'ed that Madden image. Is Da'Brick really that good? These are things I need to know.
Brett_Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #814
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, but Ray had an arm!!

He did? Well, okay, he had an arm like you and I have an arm. We all have two (most of us).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #815
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The real winner in all this is the NFL, and the fans. It'll be overdone in the media, but also legitimately compelling to see how Favre and Rodgers do.

The real winner in this is Frank Caliendo
Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #816
SFL Cat
College Starter

*prognosticator mode* I think Rodgers royally sucks, and the cheesehead legions start calling for the heads of Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers...not necessarily in that order. Green Bay finishes sub .500 (6-10 or 7-9) and out of the playoffs.

Favre has a decent year, but nothing like 2007. The Jets either sniff the playoffs or sneak in, but don't go far. Favre retires ... again complete with tears ... this time for good.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #817
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
He did? Well, okay, he had an arm like you and I have an arm. We all have two (most of us).

We are comparing him to Pennington, if you've forgotten .
Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #818
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
*prognosticator mode* I think Rodgers royally sucks, and the cheesehead legions start calling for the heads of Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers...not necessarily in that order. Green Bay finishes sub .500 (6-10 or 7-9) and out of the playoffs.

Favre has a decent year, but nothing like 2007. The Jets either sniff the playoffs or sneak in, but don't go far. Favre retires ... again complete with tears ... this time for good.

I was watching ESPN last night, and they showed a bunch of clips of Rodgers. Without warning, I immediately thought: no way this guy will make it in the NFL. You ever have those flashes about a player? I've got nothing to base it on, except maybe a look at the way he carries himself and the way he projects a certain lack of confidence.

I have no idea if I'm going to be right or wrong, and maybe I'll have a completely different impression in a few months, but some part of my subconscious is screaming at me that this guy will never be a good quarterback in the NFL.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #819
Richards
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
I was watching ESPN last night, and they showed a bunch of clips of Rodgers. Without warning, I immediately thought: no way this guy will make it in the NFL. You ever have those flashes about a player? I've got nothing to base it on, except maybe a look at the way he carries himself and the way he projects a certain lack of confidence.

I guess I can't say if he will "make it" or not, but I get the impression that he seems to have great amount of confidence, maybe more than he should at this point....

Anyway, anyone who saw Rodgers rally the packers last year in Dallas after Favre buried them in a deep hole and then was promptly injured, saw some flashes of very good play.

I'm not saying this means he will be the next great QB, but I have to disagree with "no way will this guy make it." He has potential.
Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #820
Jas_lov
College Starter

I agree, Richard! Thompson and McCarthy have done excellent building up talent and depth on this young team. They turned a 4-12 team into a 13-3 team in 2 years so they're not idiots and they have a lot at stake here.

Last year Rodgers came in vs Dallas and did great, and so far he's handled this Brett Favre situation as well as he could. I'm rooting hard for Rodgers to succeed because he's done nothing wrong in all of this. Their 1st preseason game is Aug 11 on MNF so I'm curious to see how he does.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #821
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think Rodgers confidence is incredible, considering his whackass moustache/beard. I'd like to see Aaron Rodgers and Craig Whelihan in some sort of police buddy drama.

"You're a loose cannon Whelihan! Those damages are coming out of your check. Now get your ass out of this office, and take Rodgers here with you!"

"But, chief!"

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-08-2008 at 10:24 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #822
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards View Post
Anyway, anyone who saw Rodgers rally the packers last year in Dallas after Favre buried them in a deep hole and then was promptly injured, saw some flashes of very good play.

I heard in an interview, I think with Chris Mortensen, where he said that Wade Phillips told him they "called off the dogs" when Rodgers went into the game. I think his point was that people can't assume Rodgers is going to be a good QB based on that performance.

Anyway, we'll soon see how good of a QB he's going to be.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #823
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Pennington is a Dolphin. Bye Bye John Beck.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #824
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
I heard in an interview, I think with Chris Mortensen, where he said that Wade Phillips told him they "called off the dogs" when Rodgers went into the game. I think his point was that people can't assume Rodgers is going to be a good QB based on that performance.
Hmm, must have been the same way they "called off the dogs" against NY in the playoffs

I don't know of too many teams that would quit playing with a 17-point 2nd quarter lead. And, you would think Dallas would have come out firing in the second half when it was just a 10 point lead after halftime (Rodgers was 6-6 for 61 yards in the 3rd).

Quote:
Anyway, we'll soon see how good of a QB he's going to be.
Agreed, should be interesting.

Last edited by Arles : 08-08-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 AM   #825
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Pennington is a Dolphin. Bye Bye John Beck.

Not that Beck being gone would be a bad thing, but Pennington is going to be the starting QB this year.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 08-09-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #826
Richards
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post

It seems lots of times when a starting QB is injured the defense switches to a much more vanilla scheme. I would expect this is part of what happened, but with it only being the 2nd quarter, I don't think they were exactly in "prevent."

Dallas did start celebrating a bit early and almost got beat because of it, but as Arles said, by the 2nd half, they were "back in the game."

Anyway, I don't think anyone is assuming Rodgers will be good based on that performance, only what I originally said, that he showed potential there. Potential to play at a high level in an important game (on the road).

I admit, this doesn't mean he will, consistently, or even at all.
Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #827
Jas_lov
College Starter

Did anyone see Rodgers last night? He looked great! More importantly, the fans gave Rodgers and the offense a standing ovation as they took the field. It was a very successful night for the Packers as they move forward. Rodgers said of the fans who are still clamoring for Brett Favre, "I just have to win them over." So far so good.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #828
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Did anyone see Rodgers last night? He looked great! More importantly, the fans gave Rodgers and the offense a standing ovation as they took the field. It was a very successful night for the Packers as they move forward. Rodgers said of the fans who are still clamoring for Brett Favre, "I just have to win them over." So far so good.

Ummm let's not go too far okay? The ovation was nice and it said a lot for Packer fans. At least the majority of Packer fans are willing to give him a chance. That being said, he was good not great. He almost got his receiver killed on that TD pass. He had some other accuracy issues. I would not suit him up for one of those awful Pro Bowl unis yet. At the very least, I think he proved that he is at least worthy of another preseason start
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #829
mckerney
Coordinator

Aaron Rodgers looking good in preseason.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #830
Jas_lov
College Starter

I never said he was going to the probowl. I said so far so good. This was a good first step for the Packers. Rodgers is looking good in preseason. I just wish jb, god rest his soul, was here to see it.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #831
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Rodgers was throwing some pretty high balls last night. Other then that I liked the way he looked. Sounds/looks like he needs to not gun every pass. It is great he does seem to throw as hard as Favre, but some of those he could back off of a little. He was pretty close to getting a WR killed a couple of times that I remember with some of the high ones. I understand putting it high so only your WR can get to it, but he did it a few times when the WR was wide open as well.

Still, good start.

RB Brandon Jackson had some nice runs as well. He seems to have an ability to bust out of tackles sometimes which is nice.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #832
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

The WR that caught the TD (Jones), looks pretty darn good. I looked him up, 600 yards in your rookie season is nothing to sneeze at.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #833
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
The WR that caught the TD (Jones), looks pretty darn good. I looked him up, 600 yards in your rookie season is nothing to sneeze at.

Jones was damn good last year. Last year was the second year the Packers have had a rookie WR make an impact, following Greg Jennings the year before. From what they said last night it sounds like those two are challenging 2nd round pick Jordy Nelson to do well also, saying he needs to lead the league in preseason receiving yards as they did the last two years. Nelson may not pull that off, but he showed some good stuff last night when he got the ball.

On a side not, Brohm did not look too good.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #834
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I am hoping it was just nerves for Brohm. As a WV fan, I dreaded when we went against him in college.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #835
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am hoping it was just nerves for Brohm. As a WV fan, I dreaded when we went against him in college.

I was not impressed with his arm strength, that is for sure. On an end of half hail mary from the 50, only got it to around the 5 or 10 plus, a few other thrown balls seemed to float even on 10 yard patterns.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 08-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #836
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

They were saying on the radio that Brohm looked a lot like Rodgers did in his first preseason game. Scared shitless and not sure what to do. I imagine it will get better with time, but the announcers on Monday weren't putting it lightly when they said GB has the worst QB situation in the league. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we did pick up someone with experience just to be on the roster - just in case.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #837
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I was not impressed with his arm strength, that is for sure. On an end of half hail mary from the 50, only got it to around the 5 or 10 plus, a few other thrown balls seemed to float even on 10 yard patterns.

Wait til you get a better look at his happy feet.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #838
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've thought all along that Brohm was overrated. I imagine he'll be a flop if he ever gets the PT. JDB has more tools and would have been the better pick for them, but I'm glad he went to Minnesota instead.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #839
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

New Jets QB Brett Favre says arm is 'fatigued' - Yahoo! News

lol...
Old 08-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #840
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post

Quote:
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – Brett Favre said his rocket right arm felt "fatigued" — but not sore — during a break from his fifth day of practice with the New York Jets.
"My arm's kind of dragging a little bit today," the quarterback said Wednesday after the Jets' morning session. "It's not really sore, but just fatigued. To be honest with you, I'm surprised that, I don't want to say I feel good, that I've been able to make it through every practice so far."

I would expect his arm to be a little tired after practicing for a week for the first time in 8 months.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #841
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would expect his arm to be a little tired after practicing for a week for the first time in 8 months.

But I thought he was coaching and teaching kids and working out as part of it?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #842
wade moore
lolzcat

Brett Favre was teaching kids just a few miles from me at William and Mary this summer for a camp.

Just thought I'd share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 AM   #843
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Not good

from fanball.com

Jets: Coles... not digging Favre The News
While the fans in New York are slobbering to get in line for 4 jerseys and the rest of the world seems happy to have Brett Favre with the Jets, it appears top wideout Laveranues Coles doesn't share the sentiment, according to Pro Football Talk. Sources indicate the two veterans got off on the wrong foot, believing Coles was close to Pennington and felt Favre had manipulated his way into the new digs. The two met to talk behind closed doors and, when asked, Coles refused comment, prefering to deal with it internally. Apparently Favre didn't agreed and aired the full context of the discussion and his perception of the situation to the press, and now PFT reports team sources believe this decision will make things worse.

Our View
The report from PFT suggests Coles’ silence isn’t about the fact that the team traded for Favre. It’s about the fact that the team rewarded Pennington’s loyalty and service by throwing him out the door. Thus it would seem Coles views Favre as an egomaniac and a force out of control, and his attempt to clear the air found nothing but further reports to the public by Favre. PFT reports unnamed team sources are now worried that the relationship is strained beyond repair and could have negative effects moving forward. We'll track the situation, but needless to say these two are having trouble finding common ground.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #844
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Favre didn't agreed and aired the full context of the discussion and his perception of the situation to the press, and now PFT reports team sources believe this decision will make things worse.

I'm surprised Favre didn't send out his brother or Mom to give their perception of the situation. So, in that regards, he is improving I guess.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #845
miami_fan
Coordinator

Coles will be fine once the first TD pass from Brett hits his hands. He needs to learn the same lesson that Favre learned. It is not personal, just business. His loyalty to Penninngton is cute though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #846
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Kind of a nice role reversal where the WR is the team guy and the QB is the me-first egomaniac.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #847
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Coles should be happy for Pennington. At least he gets a shot at a starting job now.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #848
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
the announcers on Monday weren't putting it lightly when they said GB has the worst QB situation in the league.

Miami's QB situation isn't much better. Maybe Quincy Carter can be the answer.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #849
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Kind of a nice role reversal where the WR is the team guy and the QB is the me-first egomaniac.

Coles is blaming Favre for Pennington being gone and how the Jets treated him. I didn't realize Favre had a front office position, so now that I know that Coles is 100% right in this situation.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #850
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Coles is blaming Favre for Pennington being gone and how the Jets treated him. I didn't realize Favre had a front office position, so now that I know that Coles is 100% right in this situation.

Yes, Favre doesn't make the decisions for the Jets, but he has played the part of whiny malcontent in getting himself out of Green Bay, something he has criticized his own teammates of in the past (Javon Walker for one). I can understand where Coles is coming from in resenting Favre a bit (as well as the organization), and then who knows what was said when the two met? I can see Favre being a bit of an ass and Coles not appreciating it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote