Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #801
lungs
Pro Rookie

Why the hell wouldn't Showalter use Britton?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #802
Zinto
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

I thought for sure he was unavailable. Just an awful decision to save him for a situation that never happened.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #803
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Saving the closer to get the bottom of the inning out once you take the lead. Difficult situation for the road manager. If he used him too early he is second guessed if he doesnt use him at all he is second guessed. The odds of it working out perfectly for the manager are slim.

I dont think I could have trusted Jimenez no matter how well he had been pitching however. For the majority of the past 4 seasons he has been awful.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-04-2016 at 11:08 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #804
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Saving the closer to get the bottom of the inning out once you take the lead. Difficult situation for the road manager. If he used him too early he is second guessed if he doesnt use him at all he is second guessed. The odds of it working out perfectly for the manager are slim.

I'd use him after a runner got on in the 11th and the middle of the order coming up.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #805
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'd use him after a runner got on in the 11th and the middle of the order coming up.

The only problem with that is Donaldson absolutely crushes leftys. I know he is your best bullpen option but still had to be tough trying to validate bringing in a lefty to face Donaldson, E5, and Bautista.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #806
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'd have used him at the latest in the 10th. Probably the 9th. Especially in an elimination game.

Leaving him sit was pure insanity.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #807
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Yeah was wondering the same thing. I know it's hard to put yourself up for second guessing by using the closer early. But he absolutely should have gotten off the bench at some point.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:33 PM   #808
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Id have used him 1 batter before the game winning hit whenever that may be.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #809
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Givens was dealing, kinda felt like the hook was early there.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:03 AM   #810
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The only problem with that is Donaldson absolutely crushes leftys. I know he is your best bullpen option but still had to be tough trying to validate bringing in a lefty to face Donaldson, E5, and Bautista.

Britton was better against righties than lefties this year.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #811
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Britton was better against righties than lefties this year.

And over his career(much larger sample he isnt). Really wasnt even my point. Putting any lefty out there against the trio of Donaldson, E5, and Bautista has to be difficult.

Could have should have would have I guess. Probably could have used him and still lost. Tough situation being a road manager in games like this. I dont question his decision to not use Britton I question his decision to use Ubaldo.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-05-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #812
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Tough choice. The Jays burned through all their relievers early. Thankfully they had Liriano who has really turned around his season after joining the Jays.

If the relievers had performed as expected, Baltimore would have eventually scored, Britton would have closed it and it's a different story.

That's why playoffs should be best of 7 series if you're truly trying to find the best team.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #813
Jas_lov
College Starter

The notion that you can't use your closer in a tie game on the road is antiquated and I'm surprised Buck fell into that conventional trap. Britton has a sub 1 ERA. You want him extending the game. No one would have criticized Buck had he used all his best relievers and then lost with a lesser reliever later in extra innings. Maybe the O's score 5 in the next inning, or maybe they still lose. The point is you want to ensure your best relievers pitch instead of losing with Ubaldo.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #814
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The notion that you can't use your closer in a tie game on the road is antiquated and I'm surprised Buck fell into that conventional trap. Britton has a sub 1 ERA. You want him extending the game. No one would have criticized Buck had he used all his best relievers and then lost with a lesser reliever later in extra innings. Maybe the O's score 5 in the next inning, or maybe they still lose. The point is you want to ensure your best relievers pitch instead of losing with Ubaldo.

Yep. Look at Terry Francona in Cleveland - he uses his best reliever (Andrew Miller) whenever he's needed, even in the 6th inning if need be. Showalter screwed himself over big time by keeping Britton on the bench.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #815
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
What an idiot fan throwing that water bottle at the Baltimore outfielder.

I was a beer can, with beer still in it.

I thought Toronto banned beer cans from the seating area, after last seasons postseason incident.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #816
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Tough choice. The Jays burned through all their relievers early. Thankfully they had Liriano who has really turned around his season after joining the Jays.

If the relievers had performed as expected, Baltimore would have eventually scored, Britton would have closed it and it's a different story.

That's why playoffs should be best of 7 series if you're truly trying to find the best team.

Why should the wild card be 7 games?
1 and done is fine.
Longer wild card series would put the 2 teams on bye in each league, in a stagnant mode.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #817
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Or no wild card since they couldn't win their division.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #818
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Why should the wild card be 7 games?
1 and done is fine.
Longer wild card series would put the 2 teams on bye in each league, in a stagnant mode.

Not saying the wild card should be best of 7, but if you're trying to truly find the best team, that's the only way. I would say the division series should definitely be best of 7. The wild card really is a gimmick game though, so that would be good enough.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #819
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Not saying the wild card should be best of 7, but if you're trying to truly find the best team, that's the only way. I would say the division series should definitely be best of 7. The wild card really is a gimmick game though, so that would be good enough.

Why not best of 9? Or 11? 7 games is just as arbitrary as 1 game. If anything, it should be best of 3 at a single site since that's how regular season series work.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #820
rowech
Pro Starter

Or realize that the reason they play so many regular season games is to make sure that the best teams make the playoffs and letting in four teams for baseball is much better than ten.

The baseball post-season has nice drama but I rarely believe the best team wins anymore.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #821
Jas_lov
College Starter

Expand or contract 2 teams, scrap interleague, play a balanced schedule within each league and just have the top team in each league go to the World Series. That would determine the best team. The 2009 Yankees were the last team that won the WS that was clearly the best team.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #822
RainMaker
General Manager

I like the drama of the Wild Card game but I think it's unfair. The 2nd best team in the league could be forced to play in that game if they happen to be in a division with the best team.

I'd rather the regular season be shortened to 146 games. Expand the Wild Card to a 3 game series (all 3 played at team with best records park). Expand the NLDS to 7 games. This also allows the league to shorten the season by a week or two so WS games aren't being played in November in cities like Chicago and New York.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #823
molson
General Manager

Quote:

If the only goal was to find the best team, the only way to do that is is get rid of the playoffs and give the championship to the team that had the best record over the entire season.

I like the 1 game wild card because it was the first playoff change in U.S. team sports that actually made the regular season a little more important. You win your division, you're in the real playoffs, if you get close, you have a 2nd coin-flip chance. And ya, there's definitely some luck of the draw in terms of how strong your division is, but that's something we've accepted in U.S. sports for a long time - splitting leagues into divisions to give the leagues a little more structure, make them easier to follow, and to try to promote rivalries within the division. It annoys me that the NBA has the division setup, but it doesn't really matter when it comes to playoff seedings. The NBA should just get rid of divisions and rank teams in the conference 1-8 if that's how they're going to do it. For baseball though, the divisions have some character, and a little history, so I think it works from a storyline/narrative/entertainment perspective that the best of Sox-Yankees-Blue Jays-Orioles-Rays is guaranteed to be in the real playoffs, every year. The NFL also highly rewards division championships, and those divisions also have some character and history behind them.

Last edited by molson : 10-05-2016 at 07:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #824
kingfc22
Head Coach

Damn. Hell of a play by Granderson
Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #825
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I swear MLB uses different balls for post season. That ball was out of here during the regular season. Seemed like he squared up and hit it perfectly. It has also strikes me as odd that it seems pitchers step up their game in the post season more so than the hitters. With all of the pressure on the pitchers during these games I would think their performance would drop a bit rather than get batters.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-05-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #826
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Colder weather = ball doesn't travel as far.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #827
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Colder weather = ball doesn't travel as far.

It was 70 degrees earlier. Not like it was 45 degrees.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #828
kingfc22
Head Coach

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #829
kingfc22
Head Coach

Buck Showalter feeling a bit better now.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #830
MrBug708
Head Coach

Fucking Giants
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #831
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

And it was in the 90s and above when the bulk of the HRs happened this year. Announcers talk about it every year as the weather cools back down. This isn't new.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #832
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

About the only pitch Gillespie has any success against is a sinking fastball.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #833
MrBug708
Head Coach

Even year magic
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #834
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
And it was in the 90s and above when the bulk of the HRs happened this year. Announcers talk about it every year as the weather cools back down. This isn't new.

Where the hell are you from? The Equator?

Most Northern US climates are 75-85 most of the summer. The West Coast games usually play in the mid 60s at night. I suppose Arlington and Arizona can heat up at times but Arizona domes it up when it gets too hot and Arlington has some gusty wind keeping temps down a bit. Miami is in a dome as well so probably Atlanta is the only place other than Arizona or Arlington that can get above the 90 degree mark consistently.

Announcers dont need to talk about it. Everyone knows the ball doesnt travel as well in the cold. Compare post season games to games in April(when it is colder) and you will see post season games are generally lower scoring. The 70 degree weather tonight was very little change from the normal Shea Stadium weather.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-05-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #835
kingfc22
Head Coach

MadBum. Incredible
Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #836
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

1 more inning and they could have gotten into the Giants shaky bullpen.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #837
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Collins may want to rethink the approach of swinging early in the count against Bumgarner. Work the count, drive up the pitch count, and get him out of there regardless of how well he's pitching so you can get a shot at that bullpen. Can't believe that wasn't the gameplan.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #838
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Most Northern US climates are 75-85 most of the summer. The West Coast games usually play in the mid 60s at night. I suppose Arlington and Arizona can heat up at times but Arizona domes it up when it gets too hot and Arlington has some gusty wind keeping temps down a bit. Miami is in a dome as well so probably Atlanta is the only place other than Arizona or Arlington that can get above the 90 degree mark consistently.

Announcers dont need to talk about it. Everyone knows the ball doesnt travel as well in the cold. Compare post season games to games in April(when it is colder) and you will see post season games are generally lower scoring. The 70 degree weather tonight was very little change from the normal Shea Stadium weather.

You may be overstating the coolness a bit. Fairly detailed info from this article covering a decade or more for a number of stadiums.

2nd hottest ballpark? Camden Yards, which I sure wouldn't have guessed. Over half the games there (1992-2013) were at 90 degrees or more. (Nationals only around 1/4th). Texas, Atlanta, KC, St Louis, even San Diego all play a significant number at that temp or more.

Overall, roughly 1/3rd of games are played at temps of 80 or more.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 PM   #839
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Most Northern US climates are 75-85 most of the summer.

22 days of 90+ in DC in August alone this year. 45 in July and August combined, breaking the record from 1988.

NYC had 22 days over 90 this summer.

8pm temp in NYC was 66 today, temp at the time of the homer was 61. Even if you're going by the 75-85 norm, 10-15° makes a significant difference in how far a ball is going to travel, especially with no appreciable wind.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:44 AM   #840
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I guess each person has their own numbers.

Summer Temperature Averages for Each USA State - Current Results

I check daily baseball data daily to get detailed weather forecasts before my wagers, draftkings, fanduel and rarely do I see these extreme weather variances that I am looking for(90+ degree weather, 15+ mph winds). In Wrigley with the wind blowing to the South at 10+ mph is usually means about 3-4 more runs on average.

http://dailybaseballdata.com/cgi-bin/weather.pl

Maybe the DBD website is getting incorrect info. Going to have a few 90+ days in each city but I didnt see a lot of 90+ weather when the games were actually played.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-06-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:56 AM   #841
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You may be overstating the coolness a bit. Fairly detailed info from this article covering a decade or more for a number of stadiums.

2nd hottest ballpark? Camden Yards, which I sure wouldn't have guessed. Over half the games there (1992-2013) were at 90 degrees or more. (Nationals only around 1/4th). Texas, Atlanta, KC, St Louis, even San Diego all play a significant number at that temp or more.

Overall, roughly 1/3rd of games are played at temps of 80 or more.

Yes would have never guess Camden Yards being #2 but the 1/3 of 80+ Id believe. Something about Maryland apparently.

1/3 of 80 plus however is a far cry from "And it was in the 90s and above when the bulk of the HRs happened this year"
Old 10-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #842
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post

8pm temp in NYC was 66 today, temp at the time of the homer was 61. Even if you're going by the 75-85 norm, 10-15° makes a significant difference in how far a ball is going to travel, especially with no appreciable wind.

“Suppose the average MLB game-time temperature were 10F higher (than 72.7F). Fly balls on a typical home run trajectory would travel about 2.5 ft farther (about 0.6%), leading to 6% more home runs. As a more dramatic example, consider games played at the two extreme temperatures of MLB, 30F and 110F. The home run probability would be about 50% greater at the high end (110F) than at the low end (30F). This result simply confirms what everyone already qualitatively knows: balls carry better at higher temperatures, leading to more home runs.”
Old 10-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #843
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Buck Showalter feeling a bit better now.

This X 1000. Wonder if all the next day managers will grip about Collins using his closer in a tie game?
Old 10-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #844
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
This X 1000. Wonder if all the next day managers will grip about Collins using his closer in a tie game?

Why would they? He used his best available reliever at the right time. Familia has unbelievable stuff but when he leaves balls up, he gets beat. Happened during the WS last year, happened during one particular stretch around the midway point this season, happened last night. If he keeps the ball down he doesn't give up runs, and he's had the biggest issue with that during these two playoff seasons.

How confident was I that this was going to happen? I had to be in Boston yesterday and landed around 9p last night. Saw a few innings on the plane. Got home and needed to take care of a few things before firing up the DVR. When I got to the 9th,I fast forwarded through the inning. Just watched the score graphic pop from 0 to 3 and I didn't even bat an eye.

Congrats to the Giants fans.

Last edited by Logan : 10-06-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #845
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
70 is still cooler than 90+.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #846
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

Interestingly enough, just about no one has criticized Collins for using Familia in that situation.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #847
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
70 is still cooler than 90+.

You made it sound like the weather killed the ball Belt hit because it gets so cold in the post season. Weather conditions at this point are comparable to most of the Mets games this season without the slight wind out to right center.

How many 0-0 after 8 inning games were the Mets involved in this year? IMO MLB uses different balls in the post season. Every single year we see unusually low scoring games in the postseason where weather effects are minimal(games on the West Coast and games in domes). There is something more going on than just weather in keeping scores down.

I think it was the 2001 postseason when there was a lot of very low scoring games where it became a talk show topics about needing to create more entertainment. The following year(Angels vs Giants world series matchup) the post season was extremely high scoring almost like watching a bunch of games at Coors Field. I would not put it past MLB to change the balls up during postseason play. I have no proof other than certain matchups(Blue Jays vs Rangers) becoming a game with very little hitting at a common rate in the post season.

FYI if you bet on baseball. You kill it in the postseason if you just take unders every game.

Today's Rangers/Blue Jays game in Arlington is an optimal game for a lot of runs so we shall see what happens. 90 degree weather and the opposite wind effect in Arlington where if it is blowing in it causes wind tunnel out to right center field. Two of the better offenses in baseball. The total is 9 in which seems low to me.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-06-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #848
bhlloy
Coordinator

Why on earth would MLB, an organization that values offense as something the fans want to see to the point they have a Home Run derby as the main thing they promote during the All-Star weekend, want to limit scoring during the postseason?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #849
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Why on earth would MLB, an organization that values offense as something the fans want to see to the point they have a Home Run derby as the main thing they promote during the All-Star weekend, want to limit scoring during the postseason?

Keep the games close and dramatic so every pitch is important. Sponsors dont like a bunch of 9-1 games.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #850
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
You made it sound like the weather killed the ball Belt hit because it gets so cold in the post season. Weather conditions at this point are comparable to most of the Mets games this season without the slight wind out to right center.

As recently as September 23 the high in NYC was 86 with a low that night of 73. The temp at 6pm was 79. We're talking about a full 10°+ difference in temperature. September in NYC had 18 of the first 23 days over 80, with only 2 of those nights having an overnight (12-6am) low that was lower than the starting temp last night.

This happens every year. Temperatures drop and so do home runs. There's no conspiracy. There aren't different baseballs being used. Last night was two great starting pitchers in cooler weather that makes hitting HR more difficult.