Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2016, 05:53 AM   #751
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am sure I am the first Marlins fan to say this about anything involving that organization since Charlie Hough pitched on Opening Day 1993. I am really proud of how the organization has handled this whole ordeal. Top marks across the board.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #752
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It got dusty in Miami when Dee Gordon led off the game with a home run.

Right out of the Vin Scully School of Broadcast Journalism, too. Shut up and let the moment speak for itself. Props, Fish broadcasters.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #753
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Wilson out with a torn ACL, probably cost him about 40M. crushing for the NATS.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #754
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Tebow homers on the first pitch he sees as a pro, opposite field off a LHP.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #755
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Epstein re-ups for 5 more years.

Yay.

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/2...-theo-epstein/
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 09-28-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #756
Logan
Head Coach

Bruce and Granderson are getting hot at the right time.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #757
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

and Freddie Freeman...oh wait
Old 09-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #758
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The Mariners remain a giant tease. Just close enough that they still have a shot at a wildcard, but unrealistic enough that they'll break our hearts. It's been sad to see the team finally putting together a decent roster around Felix right as he's hitting a serious decline.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #759
tarcone
Coordinator

Crazy ending in the Cards/Reds game.
Runner on 1st, 2 outs. 3-3 tie. Bottom 9th. Molina up. He rips on out to left. It bounces and hits above the wall on the wall of ads. Over the HR line. LFer plays it and Carpenter scores.
LFer doesnt put hands up. And plays the ball. Umps wait a second, then leave. Reds manager comes out of the dugout and looks for the U,ps after Cards have celebrated. No umps.
Clearly a ground rule 2B. But it stands. And the Cards win

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #760
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Pirates/Cubs game was officially declared a tie. The score was 1-1 in the sixth, and after a lengthy rain delay was suspended with no make-up scheduled.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #761
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

I *think* the Rangers magic number for best overall record in the AL is 1, as they hold the tiebreaker over both Cleveland and Boston.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #762
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Crazy ending in the Cards/Reds game.
Runner on 1st, 2 outs. 3-3 tie. Bottom 9th. Molina up. He rips on out to left. It bounces and hits above the wall on the wall of ads. Over the HR line. LFer plays it and Carpenter scores.
LFer doesnt put hands up. And plays the ball. Umps wait a second, then leave. Reds manager comes out of the dugout and looks for the U,ps after Cards have celebrated. No umps.
Clearly a ground rule 2B. But it stands. And the Cards win

I'm split on this. For one, requiring managers to challenge plays "immediately" in game ending situations is a very tough standard when a) they get 30 seconds in all other situations and even that clock gets extended pretty liberally and b) in any game-ending situation, there's a lot of things going on, players celebrating and "immediate" can go very quickly. Not to mention that there's no particular reason why any walk-off situation couldn't just be centrally reviewed by MLB, but that's a whole different story.

I think Price also made a good point that 4 umpires on the field didn't have a good enough view to catch the mistake, but he and his coaches were expected to spot it from a sunken dugout into a corner they may have had no vantage point of. But that's why they have their own video reviewer and to miss the indication just because they couldn't hear the phone ring in a stadium celebrating a win is kind of bullshit.

Part of me wonders though if they either didn't know the ground rule or just forgot about it, and that's why they didn't think to challenge it. That's probably what happened with the LFer...but maybe the umps forgot as well and that's why they didn't call it initially.

I don't know. Just seems like there could be a better system. And maybe this will lead to managers challenging walk-offs automatically because there's no downside at all (YOU HEAR THAT TERRY COLLINS?! THERE'S NO DOWNSIDE AT ALL!) And when that happens and the umps time is wasted, maybe they change it.

But I'm just a Mets fan who was hoping the Cards would have lost last night (and they likely would have won even if the play was overturned).
Old 09-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #763
Easy Mac

The Braves have the 4th best record in baseball this month.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:53 PM   #764
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What an AMAZING moment. The Cardinals activated Holliday for the game tonight.. he comes up for what could be his last at bat in a Cardinal uniform, tears in his eyes and hits his first pinch hit HR of his career!

Had me teared up as well...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #765
tarcone
Coordinator

RE: Cards win over Reds

Our local talk show was talking to Amzinger from MLB network. They timed the umps leaving the field. Normally they leave immediately in a walk off situation. These umps waited 21 seconds before leaving. They must of known something was wrong, but left anyway.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:33 AM   #766
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
RE: Cards win over Reds

Our local talk show was talking to Amzinger from MLB network. They timed the umps leaving the field. Normally they leave immediately in a walk off situation. These umps waited 21 seconds before leaving. They must of known something was wrong, but left anyway.

Which, to me, makes them horrible umpires because they had every right to call for a review themselves because it was a scoring play.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #767
Butter
Coordinator

If the Reds want to go ahead and lose out to clinch the number 2 pick rather than winning a game or two and finishing sixth worst, I'm OK with it.

The way the Cubs have made us their bitch this year, I absolutely expect it.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #768
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

no strassburg for at least the first round, ramos is out for a year, murphy is not playing at least till the playoffs, ross is still working back.

the nats are doing everything possible to crap away home field advantage, to a team we were 1-5 against in the regular season, this could be ugly.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #769
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
no strassburg for at least the first round, ramos is out for a year, murphy is not playing at least till the playoffs, ross is still working back.

the nats are doing everything possible to crap away home field advantage, to a team we were 1-5 against in the regular season, this could be ugly.

Dodgers have lost 3 of 4, 2 against the woeful Padres, and are doing nothing to take advantage of the opportunity. It's going to be a matchup of teams with 2 SP they can trust and offenses that are very hot and cold.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #770
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Reds losing the last game of the season due to a ninth inning bullpen collapse is a fitting way to end.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #771
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Scherzer gets win 20 on a day where he goes 5 and gives up 5 ER. He helped himself by driving in 4.

Trea Turner played 73 games. He had 13 HR, 14 2B, 8 3B, 33 SB, .937 OPS. He's basically Paul Goldschmidt playing in the middle of the field.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #772
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

If you could just declare the Mets done on April 1st next year that'd be great.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #773
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals are out.. now I root for Washington.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #774
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Scherzer gets win 20 on a day where he goes 5 and gives up 5 ER. He helped himself by driving in 4.

Trea Turner played 73 games. He had 13 HR, 14 2B, 8 3B, 33 SB, .937 OPS. He's basically Paul Goldschmidt playing in the middle of the field.

goldsmidt didnt steal 100.....

FWIW, there is nothing indicating Turner is this good (I have a jersey and a shirt as well).

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 10-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #775
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

also, we are picking playoff tickets....and MLB wont say when games are, assholes.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 10-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #776
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Since my team is out, I feel compelled to root for the Cubbies. It's been long enough...
Old 10-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #777
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers allowing the Giants to make the playoffs feels a lot like the US letting Mexico qualify
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #778
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Since my team is out, I feel compelled to root for the Cubbies. It's been long enough...

+1

Maybe the 1 time in history the World Series favs will get the underdog support.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #779
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

So torn on this. If we lose the Cubbies, we lose one of the best stories in all of sports. I think I want them to keep losing just because I want that mystique to stay there.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #780
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If you could just declare the Mets done on April 1st next year that'd be great.

His in game moves will always drive me crazy but I have to give Collins so much credit. Him and whoever else was in the clubhouse keeping this together as players were dropping. Once you get guys named Gsellman and Lugo taking the place in the rotation of guys named Harvey and deGrom, I probably would have shut it down if I was on that team. Not to mention having 4 legitimate MLers in the lineup as this last run got started.

Syndergaard vs Bumgarner will be fun to watch.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #781
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So torn on this. If we lose the Cubbies, we lose one of the best stories in all of sports. I think I want them to keep losing just because I want that mystique to stay there.

I think you should root for the Dodgers, just so Vin gets one last ring
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #782
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I hear you, and the way the Red Sox very quickly turned into the Yankees Part 2 is a warning about the dangers of changing a long-held narrative.

Still, I imagine young Cubs fans out there and how unfair it is to have to carry the burden of having your team never win it all. Those of us in Seattle want through a really long dry period in major professional sports championships, and that was nothing compared to what Cubs fans have been through.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #783
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
His in game moves will always drive me crazy but I have to give Collins so much credit. Him and whoever else was in the clubhouse keeping this together as players were dropping. Once you get guys named Gsellman and Lugo taking the place in the rotation of guys named Harvey and deGrom, I probably would have shut it down if I was on that team. Not to mention having 4 legitimate MLers in the lineup as this last run got started.

Seriously. Going to be hard to criticize Collins that much again (I'm sure it'll happen ). But this was some amazing managing. I'm still uncertain how he was able to do it.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #784
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Syndergaard vs Bumgarner will be fun to watch.

I think you were just voicing what every Mets fan was thinking at the time. The job Collins and Alderson have done the past two years is remarkable.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #785
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Reds had the first negative WAR for a pitching staff maybe ever!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...tually-did-it/
Old 10-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #786
Butter
Coordinator

The Reds were not terrible after the All-Star break, and the Pitching WAR definitely supports that. But yeah, those first two months were BRUTAL.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #787
Arles
Grey Dog Software

So my wife's cousin plays for the Scottsdale Scorpions in the AZ fall league (he's in AAA for the Giants). He found out today that his teammate will be Tim Tebow

Last edited by Arles : 10-04-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #788
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hear you, and the way the Red Sox very quickly turned into the Yankees Part 2 is a warning about the dangers of changing a long-held narrative.

Still, I imagine young Cubs fans out there and how unfair it is to have to carry the burden of having your team never win it all. Those of us in Seattle want through a really long dry period in major professional sports championships, and that was nothing compared to what Cubs fans have been through.

As a Giants fan, it's not hard to remember how terrible it felt, so I can definitely sympathize with that (while having the 49ers softened the blow, I have been, and always will be, a baseball first sports fan). Still...
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #789
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As a Giants fan, it's not hard to remember how terrible it felt, so I can definitely sympathize with that (while having the 49ers softened the blow, I have been, and always will be, a baseball first sports fan). Still...
Seahawks have definitely taken the edge off around here, but as an equally rabid Mariners fan, it sucks to be a fan of a team that has never been to a World Series (let alone won one) and is now going on 15 years not making the post-season. My son is young enough that he doesn't really have any sense of that, and hopefully DiPoto has the org going in the right direction, but I wonder if continued futility will impact his fandom with the team.

I'm sure there are plenty of NL Central fans that want nothing to do with the Cubs being good.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #790
Butter
Coordinator

Since the Cardinals aren't in it, AFAIC the Cubs can pretty much go fuck themselves.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #791
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Cubs need to win it.

I have World Series tickets if they make it.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #792
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Stay classy Toronto.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #793
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What an idiot fan throwing that water bottle at the Baltimore outfielder.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-04-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #794
kingfc22
Head Coach

Geez. what a busch move. Kick out that whole section.

Make a fucking example.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #795
kingfc22
Head Coach

Hopefully the O's put up a crooked number this inning.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #796
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Why is there a 3rd out bubble under the count? Are people confused after that second out?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #799
kingfc22
Head Coach

Now we get the idiot behind the plate acting like a tool on each pitch.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #800
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Now we get the idiot behind the plate acting like a tool on each pitch.

I though AJ Pierzynski retired...