Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #751
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tell you what. If the jills win a playoff game I'll buy you a beer and beef on weck the next time I visit the buffalo area.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #752
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tell you what. If the jills win a playoff game I'll buy you a beer and beef on weck the next time I visit the buffalo area.

I never said they would "win" a playoff game.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #753
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
BTW...haven't been keeping up with it lately, but is the Canadian Gov't still trying to block the Bills from playing in Toronto?

I don't think so (I never heard that report). The Bills signed a deal to play 8 games (5 regular season and 3 pre-season games) over the next 5 years.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:46 PM   #754
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Conditional pick:

4th round pick

Goes to 3rd if Favre plays 50% or more of offensive plays

Goes to 2nd if Favre plays 70% or more of offensive plays + Jets make playoffs

Goes to 1st if Favre plays 80% or more of offensive plays + Jets Superbowl appearance. And Favre has to play in 50% of the plays in playoffs.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #755
SFL Cat
College Starter

I know a bill was introduced.

Protecting Canadian Football

Just don't know if it will go anywhere.

Back in the 70s when the WFL tried to put a team in Toronto, the liberals in Parliament proposed a similar bill, forcing John Bassett (owner of the team) to move to Memphis, TN prior to that league's first season. I know the NFL's World League had a team in Montreal, but that was a spring league and not in direct competition with the CFL season.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #756
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I wish Brett the best of luck along with the Jets as well. Unlike some of the people on this board who seem to have tunnel vision, I understand Favre is an impact player even at this age. That is why he was 2nd in MVP votes last year.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #757
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

D-A-M-N!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #758
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I wish Brett the best of luck along with the Jets as well. Unlike some of the people on this board who seem to have tunnel vision, I understand Favre is an impact player even at this age. That is why he was 2nd in MVP votes last year.

You're the man, Cringer.

I'm so happy.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #759
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

You know, I guess I still had a glimmer of hope left in me somewhere, because this is kind of bumming me out a little. I think having it happen days after thinking Favre would be winning his starting job back over the next couple of weeks in Green Bay was a pretty shitty teaser. Oh well, life goes on.

I am guessing Favre's jersey won't be retired in week 1 now eh? I hope when Favre does retire for good and the Packers want to retire his jersey that it has to get put off because he won't come up there until Thompson is gone. I would laugh at that, and be on his side. Thompson screwed the pooch on this one.

One more thing, is EA airbrushing the cover of Madden as quickly as possible now? Maybe Favre being in a different uni then he is on Madden actually prevents the curse from grabbing hold of him? So many questions.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #760
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola- Serious question here, the Jets don't have #4 retired do they? A new number for him would be extra odd. I mean he will still be in Green, so that helps a little.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #761
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Maybe Favre being in a different uni then he is on Madden actually prevents the curse from grabbing hold of him? So many questions.

He's going to the Jets. I think it's pretty clear the curse is already working its magic.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #762
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola- Serious question here, the Jets don't have #4 retired do they? A new number for him would be extra odd. I mean he will still be in Green, so that helps a little.

His jersey is up on their site for ordering.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:40 AM   #763
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Already kind of answered but no, he'll be in #4.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 AM   #764
thesloppy
Pro Starter

---snip---

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that, if the Jets were to trade Favre to the Vikings, the Jets would owe the Packers three first-round picks.

---snip---
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #765
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
---snip---

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that, if the Jets were to trade Favre to the Vikings, the Jets would owe the Packers three first-round picks.

---snip---

WOW. Well, Jets, please don't do that.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #766
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
WOW. Well, Jets, please don't do that.

Ordinarily, that would be a thoroughly obvious "duh" situation. But, we are talking about the Jets here, so you may want to email the front office with your view.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:03 AM   #767
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Ordinarily, that would be a thoroughly obvious "duh" situation. But, we are talking about the Jets here, so you may want to email the front office with your view.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #768
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
His jersey is up on their site for ordering.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #769
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Even with Favre, I don't see the Jets having a serious shot at contending for a title.

I don't either. The Packers probably won't get better than a 2nd rounder, but trading him to the Jets was their best option. The Jets have a good schedule, but they won't win the division and Jacksonville or Indy are a good bet for one of the wildcards. The 6th seed is up for grabs though. NE, Jacksonville, Indy, Pittsburgh, SD are better. I'm just glad this is all over.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:40 AM   #770
Logan
Head Coach

I might have to move out of NYC and to Bolivia or something. Having to see this guy all over the media is gonna kill the next 4 months for me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #771
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Conditional pick:

4th round pick

Goes to 1st if Favre plays 80% or more of offensive plays + Jets Superbowl appearance. And Favre has to play in 50% of the plays in playoffs.

good deal for the jets.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #772
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... Favre to the Jets. Well, I'm glad I drafted Coles in my fantasy league. He may actually have some deep balls to catch.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #773
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
---snip---

---snip---

What happens if they release him?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #774
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What happens if they release him?

I doubt anything, but why would the Jets do that? They would lose a 4th round pick just to make Favre happy, piss off the Packers, and make the Vikings better?

That sounds like a pretty raw deal for the Jets.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #775
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

*Strong Bad voice* It's over!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #776
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
The Fins will be much improved.

Kinda of hard to go any further down than rock bottom, no?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #777
Kodos
Resident Alien

I dunno. Look at the Lions.

Glad at least this part of the Favre circus is over.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #778
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, if he'd just been willing to talk to the Jets and Bucs a couple of weeks ago, we could have avoided all this drama.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #779
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd have rather seen him go to Tampa. Favre + Gruden = Entertainment
Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #780
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Now ESPN can get on to more important things...like will Manny cut his hair!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #781
miami_fan
Coordinator

I think it was a good deal for the Jets and the Packers. They traded him out of the division and even out of the conference. Based on history, the Packers will get at least a 3rd rounder for a player they did not want. Not too bad.

Of course if the Aaron Rodgers thing does not work out, there might be a new GM and coach enjoying that pick
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #782
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh yeah, Jeff Garcia. Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden were just fooling with ya. They had no intentions of letting Brett just come in and take your job away.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #783
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I dunno. Look at the Lions.

7-9, bitch! 7-9!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #784
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Looking at the Jets' schedule, the only nationally televised game they have is their 3rd pre-season game against the Chargers.

They also have a game against the Patroits on the NFL network in November. I wonder if Congress will get involved again, demanding that the NFL Network make that game available to all the good people of our country so that they can watch "Their Favre."
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #785
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Now ESPN can get on to more important things...like will Manny cut his hair!

Or who's more... NOW!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #786
Jas_lov
College Starter

What happens if the Jets trade Favre to the Bengals who then trade Favre to the Vikings?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #787
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
What happens if the Jets trade Favre to the Bengals who then trade Favre to the Vikings?

Dunno.

It would totally depend on the wording of the clause in the agreement. It could be a direct "if you trade him to Minnesota then 3 first round picks", or it could be something more general like "If Favre plays more than X games in Minnesota" or "Favre is a member of the Vikings" or something like that, then 3 first round picks.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #788
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Looks like I'll be rooting for the Jets and Packers this season. I hope Brett does well and am glad he went to the AFC. Now, let's play some fooball!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #789
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Looks like I'll be rooting for the Jets and Packers this season. I hope Brett does well and am glad he went to the AFC. Now, let's play some fooball!

Agreed!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #790
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Maybe they should just clone him and everyone gets a Favre.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #791
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I doubt anything, but why would the Jets do that? They would lose a 4th round pick just to make Favre happy, piss off the Packers, and make the Vikings better?

It's unlikely, but I can at least imagine a scenario where Favre bitches and moans about his plight until the Jets cut him some time during the season.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #792
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I thought that's what Tom Brady has been trying to do by impregnating a bunch of different women.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #793
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well that's just unrealistic.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #794
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

It seems to me that the part of this equation that the media isn't talking about is Favre's poor seasons in 2005 and 2006. He had ratings of 70.9 and 72.7 those years, which were two of the three worst years of his career. In 2005 he threw 29 interceptions.

Yes, he had a great year last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he reverted to the 2005/2006 Favre, or even worse. New offense, new teammates, new coach, new media, new city, and one year older.

Based on the performance criteria in the trade it's still a good gamble for the Jets, but I think there is a very good chance his rating ends up in the high 60's or low 70's.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #795
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'm with Blitz on this one. I see Favre playing like his usual self, dropping stink bombs all over the place and retiring for good with another 50 or so INT's on his permanent record.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #796
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Conditional pick:

4th round pick

It will be interesting to see how quick the Jets bench Favre if their season starts to go into the tank.

Likewise if there are blow outs how quick they bench him.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #797
Jas_lov
College Starter

Stop hating on Favre and America. Favre will have a great year and lead the Jets back to the promised land. Why? Because he's Brett Favre! Brett Favre is Brett Favre! Seriously, I really hope he gets booed out of NY and retires after taking enough snaps to get up over 50% of the total snaps. I've never rooted more for a player than I am for Aaron Rodgers this season. He's the real victim in all of this.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #798
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Perhaps if the Vikings really wanted Favre and the Jets were willing to deal they would trade a conditional pick of a 4th rounder if they cut Favre, a 3rd if they cut him and he signs with the Vikings, a 2nd if he signs with the Vikings and they make the playoffs...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #799
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It will be interesting to see how quick the Jets bench Favre if their season starts to go into the tank.

Likewise if there are blow outs how quick they bench him.

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that. But if the Jets are 3-6 and playing poorly, it's in their best interests to sit Favre and let Clemens play, isn't it.

I'd like to see Favre do well, but I have to admit that benching Favre could provide some solid entertainment.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-07-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #800
gkb
High School Varsity

For the first time ever I'll be interested in watching some J-E-T-S games this year...I hate their uniforms though. Mortensen is calling the Jets one of his dark-horse teams...he said that he expects them to make the playoffs and he claims that he thought that before they traded for Favre.