Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #751
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Are you guys trying to lose, or is this a desperate "pick against Maple Leafs because it's the only way to win" sort of strategy?

I didn't play in the first round, but my picks (made amongst friends) were Buffalo v Anaheim in the cup, with Anaheim winning. At this point, I had to stick with that, even though I think Ottawa has had a better playoff run to this point.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #752
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While you may not be rooting for Detroit, you have to be rooting against the Ducks (Pronger).

Actually, I hate to say this, but my hatred for Bertuzzi and Chelios over rides the Pronger emotions. That said, I'll be rooting for either team out of the East in the Finals.

And as a note on Pronger, as is the case with Ryan Smyth, I *really* like the pieces we got in return for them and provided the fans around here don't run any of them out of town (which could be the case next year with Lupul) coupled with smart spending (through free agency or via trade), we might end up coming out ahead in that deal pretty soon.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #753
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Anaheim in 6.
Ottawa in 7.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #754
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Are you guys trying to lose, or is this a desperate "pick against Maple Leafs because it's the only way to win" sort of strategy?

I wish I was in Vegas, I'd be making some money on this series.

No, I'm taking the "choose the best team in the series" strategy.

Buffalo may lose a few, but overall the Sabres are the best team in the NHL right now. I wouldn't pick against them even if I weren't a fan. Miller is a top flight goaltender, they have 4 full lines of scoring threats, and while ottowa matches up well with them, the senators do not have that much offense by comparison and their defense is very suspect at times.

Emery CAN be a stone cold block of glass in front of his net, he can also be a total seive. he's been hot thus far, I'm expecting the law of averages to bring him down to earth against Buffalo.

Ottowa as a team is on a savage hot streak, something I also think will flatten out. While Buffalo has played very average thus far with only 1 game in each series so far showing their real scoring ability.

The Sabres are due for a hot streak, the Senators are due for a slide.

Sabres take this one. Could go 7, could be over in 4. Only time will tell =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #755
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

RendeR's post makes me wish I'd gone Sens :P
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #756
Karim
College Starter

Anaheim in 7
Ottawa in 7

That'll have Bettman jumping for joy...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #757
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Detroit in 1
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #758
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Detroit in 1

Seems unlikely.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #759
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Buffalo vs Ottawa - Ottawa 4-3
Detroit vs Anaheim - Anaheim 4-2
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #760
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I love everyone picking Ottawa.

The Rangers hot streak sure did wonders for them in their series...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #761
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Anaheim in 5
Buffalo in 6, once again ending the series on the road.

I agree with Chubby - all Buffalo has done for two years is win games but they continue to get little respect when a hot team comes calling.

That being said, Buffalo always has difficulty with the Sens, except in the playoffs. It should be a great series regardless.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:34 AM   #762
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
The Rangers hot streak sure did wonders for them in their series...

The Rangers were 7 seconds away from going up 3-2 on Buffalo and I believe they below a hefty 2nd period lead in either games 1 or 2. Also they did look shaky in the 3rd period of game 6 as they blew that 4-1 lead. The series was not as clear cut as Saber fans are leading on.

The Rangers made the Sabers look very ordinary at times but could not sustain it for long enough periods of time to over come their clear lack in talent. Ottawa has impressed me with the way they have been protecting Emery using their defense to lock down low.

That being said it wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo won. They have an advatnage with Miller being better than Emery over the long run. I think it'll be a really close series and one of the reasons I am picking Ottawa is that I cannot bring myself to root for the Sabers. I hate listening to that jackass you guys call a play by play announcer. I hope everytime he screams that some object might fly into his mouth and he chokes and I love to hear the excuses he makes when the Sabers don't have things going their way.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #763
st.cronin
General Manager

I think Buffalo wins. I'm surprised anybody thinks different.

knives out
Old 05-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #764
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I think Buffalo wins. I'm surprised anybody thinks different.

If Buffalo wins it will be because of the Emery/Miller match-up.Miller is by far the better goalie.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #765
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Miller is by far the better goalie.

Yeah, its just impossible for me to imagine RAY EMORY playing in the Stanley Cup finals.

knives out
Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #766
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
The Rangers were 7 seconds away from going up 3-2 on Buffalo and I believe they below a hefty 2nd period lead in either games 1 or 2. Also they did look shaky in the 3rd period of game 6 as they blew that 4-1 lead. The series was not as clear cut as Saber fans are leading on.

The Rangers made the Sabers look very ordinary at times but could not sustain it for long enough periods of time to over come their clear lack in talent. Ottawa has impressed me with the way they have been protecting Emery using their defense to lock down low.

That being said it wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo won. They have an advatnage with Miller being better than Emery over the long run. I think it'll be a really close series and one of the reasons I am picking Ottawa is that I cannot bring myself to root for the Sabers. I hate listening to that jackass you guys call a play by play announcer. I hope everytime he screams that some object might fly into his mouth and he chokes and I love to hear the excuses he makes when the Sabers don't have things going their way.

That's exactly our (Sabres fans) point tho...

The Rangers played their A+ game, the Sabres played their C game and the Sabres still won in 6.

For those FOFCers in Buffalo: The Boulevard Delta Sonic (I work at the Syracuse Delta) replaced their giant "CAR WASH" sign with a "GO SABRES" sign. They are putting something underneath (were taking suggestions yesterday), I sent in "One Goal, One City" but we will see what they put up
Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #767
st.cronin
General Manager

I also like Detroit, too - assuming Hasek can stay healthy. Guess I'm in the minority on that one as well.

Detroit vs. Buffalo would be an epic final.

knives out
Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #768
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I also like Detroit, too - assuming Hasek can stay healthy. Guess I'm in the minority on that one as well.

Detroit vs. Buffalo would be an epic final.

Hasek would actually have to dress for a game in Buffalo
Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #769
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, its just impossible for me to imagine RAY EMORY playing in the Stanley Cup finals.

It's a race thing, isn't it!??!

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #770
bbor
Pro Starter

Klima is an ASSHAT!

Hi H.B

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #771
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hasek would actually have to dress for a game in Buffalo
I know you're kidding, but I'm not -- with Buffalo or Ottawa waiting in the finals, I think there's a significant chance that Hasek pulls the chute at some point in the next few weeks. The Wings better hope that Osgood or Cheveldae or whoever their backup is is ready to go.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #772
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Klima is an ASSHAT!

Hi H.B

What the? Why'd Petr Klima get pulled into this dicussion? I mean, first Kilma, then Cheveldae? There must be some sort of Canadian conspiracy going on.

Speaking of Kilma, he was at Joe Louis Arena a couple weeks ago when Dan Cleary scored that beauty penalty shot goal on Kiprusoff. It was nice that he was there, since he was the last Red Wing to score on a penalty shot in the play offs. I just figured you'd want to know that, bbor.

Oh, and today is Steve Yzerman's birthday. Wish him well.

Petr Klima is the bomb, yo!

Sup, bbor!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #773
bbor
Pro Starter

Actually...i think the Red wings back-up is Corrado Micalef.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #774
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
It's a race thing, isn't it!??!

You look out your window and count how many Stanley Cup Champions have had an "athletic" goalie. When you get to one I'll believe you know the first thing about hockey. Welcome to hollywood.

knives out
Old 05-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #775
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
You look out your window and count how many Stanley Cup Champions have had an "athletic" goalie. When you get to one I'll believe you know the first thing about hockey. Welcome to hollywood.

Grant Fuhr?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #776
MikeVic
Head Coach

dola

I don't believe Pokey Reddick won any. And I give 10 points to Maple Leafs for bringing up Cheveldae.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #777
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Grant Fuhr?

I never thought he was that athletic.

knives out
Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #778
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't believe Pokey Reddick won any.
My ex-roommates favorite trivia question:

Name the only team to have three brothers all play goal at some point for the franchise? Answer, Edmonton - Fuhr, Reddick and Brathwaite.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-09-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #779
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's exactly our (Sabres fans) point tho...

The Rangers played their A+ game, the Sabres played their C game and the Sabres still won in 6.

For those FOFCers in Buffalo: The Boulevard Delta Sonic (I work at the Syracuse Delta) replaced their giant "CAR WASH" sign with a "GO SABRES" sign. They are putting something underneath (were taking suggestions yesterday), I sent in "One Goal, One City" but we will see what they put up

One Goal, One City

--endorsed by Brett Hull

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-09-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #780
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
One Goal, One City

--endorsed by Brett Hull

That was also the Eagles' motto the year they lost to New England in the Super Bowl.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #781
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
dola

I don't believe Pokey Reddick won any. And I give 10 points to Maple Leafs for bringing up Cheveldae.

I have an autographed photo of Tim Cheveldae. He was signing them at the local Little Ceasars.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:50 AM   #782
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I have an autographed photo of Tim Cheveldae. He was signing them at the local Little Ceasars.
At what point did his manager tell him to get back to work?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #783
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
If Buffalo wins it will be because of the Emery/Miller match-up.Miller is by far the better goalie.

Miller

GAA-2.73
SV%.911

Emery
GAA-2.47
SV% .918
Old 05-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #784
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think what bbor means is that we all know Emery will go back to his old self...it is just a matter of when.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #785
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I think what bbor means is that we all know Emery will go back to his old self...it is just a matter of when.

Emery has never had a save percentage below .900 in any regular season or postseason of his professional career.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 AM   #786
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
At what point did his manager tell him to get back to work?
Good Lord, this cracked me up more than you know.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #787
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Emery has never had a save percentage below .900 in any regular season or postseason of his professional career.

I was all set to come back with Roman Cechmanic in this arguement but the son of a bitch had 1 playoff at 89.1%. Either way if I had a choice between Emery or Miller in goal, I'm taking Miller. If I am talking about a fight, I am taking Emery. So Game 1 Emery should go beat the shit out of Miller so Ty Conklin has to come in.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #788
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Either way if I had a choice between Emery or Miller in goal, I'm taking Miller.
Based on what? Seriously, why is Miller suddenly an elite goalie? Is it a rebound effect from his being under-rated last year? Does he get bonus points for being American? He's a very good goalie and you can definitely win a Cup with him, but I've never watched him and thought "man, this guy is amazing". If Emery can outplay Brodeur (by a mile) he can definitely keep up with Ryan Miller.

That said, Emery has one glaring weakness. Watch his rebound control on shots from the faceoff circle, especially off the rush. He's awful. He consistently kicks the puck right out to the slot. It doesn't hurt him as much as it should, partly because he's also one of the best in the league at recovering and stopping the second shot. But it's also because teams have a maddening refusal to go to the net against Ottawa.

I've watched enough Ottawa games this year, this is the ticket to beating them. On any rush situation, even a three-on-three, have a guy shoot from the wing (especially the right side) and send someone hard to the net. That rebound is coming right out to him. Yes, it will sometimes hop over his stick or bounce away from him and Emery will make a highlight save on some others, but if a team ever did this for a whole series they'd light the Senators up. But they never do.

Trust me, you Sabres fans will be quoting this post in a week or two. The question is, will you be saying "Dammit, he was right, look at those rebounds, why didn't we ever have a guy there" or will it be "Yep, that's what we did, Cup finals here we come"?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #789
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Trust me, you Sabres fans will be quoting this post in a week or two. The question is, will you be saying "Dammit, he was right, look at those rebounds, why didn't we ever have a guy there" or will it be "Yep, that's what we did, Cup finals here we come"?
I would agree with this. The Devils could have had a dozen more goals in their series with Ottawa. Ray Emery's tendency to kick out rebounds would normally be a godsend for guys like Gomez, Brylin, and even Pandolfo or Zajac. They didn't get to the net, and they lost. The Sabres would be wise to learn that lesson, because the Devils sure didn't.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #790
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Based on what? Seriously, why is Miller suddenly an elite goalie? Is it a rebound effect from his being under-rated last year? Does he get bonus points for being American? He's a very good goalie and you can definitely win a Cup with him, but I've never watched him and thought "man, this guy is amazing". If Emery can outplay Brodeur (by a mile) he can definitely keep up with Ryan Miller.

That said, Emery has one glaring weakness. Watch his rebound control on shots from the faceoff circle, especially off the rush. He's awful. He consistently kicks the puck right out to the slot. It doesn't hurt him as much as it should, partly because he's also one of the best in the league at recovering and stopping the second shot. But it's also because teams have a maddening refusal to go to the net against Ottawa.

I've watched enough Ottawa games this year, this is the ticket to beating them. On any rush situation, even a three-on-three, have a guy shoot from the wing (especially the right side) and send someone hard to the net. That rebound is coming right out to him. Yes, it will sometimes hop over his stick or bounce away from him and Emery will make a highlight save on some others, but if a team ever did this for a whole series they'd light the Senators up. But they never do.

Alanis Morrisette would find it ironic that the Senators most ardent supporter on these boards is named Maple Leafs.

Don't ya think?
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #791
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If Emery can outplay Brodeur (by a mile) he can definitely keep up with Ryan Miller.

The only reason Emery outplayed Brodeur is because Brodeur played his worst playoff season ever. There was something missing with Marty in the playoffs. For the most part I thought it was goal support, but was it fatigue from playing so many games? Could be. But that was no where near the Marty Brodeur of the past.

What the fuck is the world coming to? A Maple Leaf fan sticking up for the Sens...and a Flyer fan sticking up for the Devils. I am going to go bathe in holy water.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-10-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #792
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hahaha. I like that brothers trivia thing.

I don't know if I have any Jets autographs?!?! How did that happen.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #793
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This sucks.

I am flying to Kansas City for work tonight, so I'll miss Game 1 of Buff-Sens.

I am flying out of Kansas City tomrrow night, so I'll miss Game 1 of the Wings-Ducks.

I am flying back to Kansas City Sunday night, so I'll miss Game 2 of the Wings-Ducks.

And, I am flying back from Kansas City Monday night, so I'll miss Game 3 of Buff-Sens.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #794
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Alanis Morrisette would find it ironic that the Senators most ardent supporter on these boards is named Maple Leafs.
I'm not supporting them, I hope they lose. I'm just looking at the series without any homer goggles on.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #795
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I would agree with this. The Devils could have had a dozen more goals in their series with Ottawa. Ray Emery's tendency to kick out rebounds would normally be a godsend for guys like Gomez, Brylin, and even Pandolfo or Zajac. They didn't get to the net, and they lost. The Sabres would be wise to learn that lesson, because the Devils sure didn't.
The Sabres were awful at this during their regular season matchups against Ottawa. They're one of the few teams with enough speed to get some good shots off the rush against the Sens, but they never went to the net (well, Drury did a few times before they almost killed him). So few teams do it that I'm going to assume Ottawa is especially good at diverting traffic to the net, but that can't be the whole story.

Believe me, once you notice this about Emery you'll be screaming at your TV every time you see him play.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #796
bbor
Pro Starter

M.L.....I'm not making out that Miller is the god of goaltending.......but i would feel much more comfortable with Miller in net than Emery.Emery has played well in these play-off...but you just know that he could blow up at any time,we have seen that before....until he proves otherwise(and he might in these play-offs) i just like Miller better.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #797
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
The only reason Emery outplayed Brodeur is because Brodeur played his worst playoff season ever. There was something missing with Marty in the playoffs. For the most part I thought it was goal support, but was it fatigue from playing so many games? Could be. But that was no where near the Marty Brodeur of the past.

What the fuck is the world coming to? A Maple Leaf fan sticking up for the Sens...and a Flyer fan sticking up for the Devils. I am going to go bathe in holy water.
Brodeur did appear to be fatigued, yes. That's a big reason for the Devils' loss. This leads me to a tangent about something that irked me.

In Game 5 against Ottawa, the color commentator for Versus (I forget who it was, maybe Vanbiesbrouck or Olczyk?) kept talking about how many consecutive playoff starts Brodeur has made. It was something like 150 consecutive starts. Whoever this clown was on the commentary, he kept saying that maybe that's why Brodeur was so tired. Uh, here's a memo: Marty didn't start 150 consecutive games this year! If they want to say he's tired after playing 78 regular season games and 10 playoff games this year, fine. He played 4700 minutes this year at age 34, and then he put in another 600+ minutes in the playoffs. Understandable. I don't think that the 140 starts over the past 13 years had a significant effect on his play in the Ottawa series, though.

Anyway, I had just gotten really, really tired of the commentator connecting all the playoff starts with Brodeur's apparent fatigue in that series. I'd think that the 78 regular season games had a much stronger correlation to his fatigue than the 140 consecutive playoff starts that go back into the '90s.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #798
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'd think that the 78 regular season games had a much stronger correlation to his fatigue than the 140 consecutive playoff starts that go back into the '90s.
So you're saying it wouldn't really have mattered if he had just started that last f--king game of the season?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #799
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If any Sabres fans want to throw $50 on the series, let me know.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #800
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
So you're saying it wouldn't really have mattered if he had just started that last f--king game of the season?
Scott Clemmensen gotta get his groove on. You better recognize.