Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #751
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

ESPN2 has an excellent game on right now that I don't want to say anything else about for fear of jynxing.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:45 PM   #752
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
ESPN2 has an excellent game on right now that I don't want to say anything else about for fear of jynxing.

SI

Jeremy would admire your integrity.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #753
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I did all I could

SI

Old 09-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #754
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I fucking hate the Royals. 1-0 lead in the top of the 9th, bases loaded and no outs, they get zippo. Two outs, bottom of the 9th, Mauer goes deep.

Suck my left nut, Royals.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #755
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hey, c'mon, the Royals all but had the game won but snagging defeat from the jaws of victory is what this team does best sometimes. To be fair, it was Nelson's first blown save out of 10 shots.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-28-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #756
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Nice start for the Pads in Arizona.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #757
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, I blame Royals announcer Ryan Lefebvre. "The good news is that so far tonight, Mauer is 0 for 3. The bad news is that Mauer is 0 for 3"

SI

Old 09-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #758
Ksyrup

And done. Not that it means that much to Detroit, but I've got to have something to root against until the playoffs start.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #759
Ksyrup

Interesting issue that might come into play with the Cardinals' swoon. By Sunday, they will have only played 161 games due to an earlier rainout with the Giants. If the teams end up within a 1/2 game of each other, the Cards and Giants will have to play on Monday. And if they end up tied after that, I assume they'll have to have a 1-game playoff on Tuesday.

Of course, the way the Cards are going, the 'Stros will be 2 1/2 up by Sunday night...
Old 09-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #760
Ksyrup

So I guess the Phillies game was rained out tonight? They can't still be trying to get it in, can they? ESPN doesn't show it as PPD yet. If so, this means we could have 2 games on Monday.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #761
Ksyrup

Looks like the Philles/Nats game just started a little while ago. I guess DC doesn't have one of those curfew issues?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 PM   #762
SackAttack
Head Coach

1-0 Nats in the second, so they're trying to get it in.

I wonder if this could be a darkness-called 5-inning game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 PM   #763
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Looks like the Philles/Nats game just started a little while ago. I guess DC doesn't have one of those curfew issues?

It's not like Washington is known as a violent place or anything

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-28-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:41 AM   #764
Terps
College Prospect

Wish DCab could've gotten the no-no against the MFY's tonight. Still a great start for a man who didn't even have his good stuff tonight, and he may have gotten the no-no if not for some bad defense.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:56 AM   #765
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
Wish DCab could've gotten the no-no against the MFY's tonight. Still a great start for a man who didn't even have his good stuff tonight, and he may have gotten the no-no if not for some bad defense.

Nah. He'd have had a shutout if not for the bad defense, but the errors didn't cause him to give up the hit.

Give Cano credit. He walloped it, and the left fielder wasn't quite in position to chase it down.

Although in a postgame interview, Cabrera said he was feeling great pre-game, that he liked his stuff, but wasn't thinking about a no-hitter. So take that for what you will.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:03 AM   #766
SackAttack
Head Coach

Oh, and that 14-inning exercise in leaving runners on base combined with a 4 1/2 hour rain delay for tonight's game might have sunk the Phils. Two out with three to play, and the game tonight didn't end 'til 2 a.m. local time.

Now, they gotta get to Dulles (or whichever D.C. airport they're flying out of), catch their plane, and fly down to Florida for a 7:10 Friday start, knowing that if they don't win at least two of three from the Fish, their season is over.

Can't imagine morale is terribly high in the Philly clubhouse right now.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:35 AM   #767
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Nah. He'd have had a shutout if not for the bad defense, but the errors didn't cause him to give up the hit.

Give Cano credit. He walloped it, and the left fielder wasn't quite in position to chase it down.

Although in a postgame interview, Cabrera said he was feeling great pre-game, that he liked his stuff, but wasn't thinking about a no-hitter. So take that for what you will.

The errors didn't cause the hit, I know, and it's hard to say what would have happened without them but he had 27 outs recorded before Cano came up. Just a what if moment.

It was a good hit by Cano though (he almost had a hit to left in the 7th too, but lined it right at Mora), and I knew as soon as it left the bat that Screech wasn't gonna catch up to it.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:40 AM   #768
Terps
College Prospect

Dola,

And it would've been nice to have something to cheer about for a day after 9 consecutive losing seasons.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #769
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hang this one on Chris Berman. I think I counted the words 'no-hitter' escaping his lips about 47 times after the fifth inning.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #770
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hang this one on Chris Berman. I think I counted the words 'no-hitter' escaping his lips about 47 times after the fifth inning.

Really? I turned it on the 7th, and he and Hershiser were trying to see how many ways they couldn't actually say no hitter while referencing it.

SI

Old 09-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #771
Ksyrup

So with the Yankees taking the "Sheffield Experiment" at 1B into the playoffs, he has the opportunity to surpass Ryan Klesko as the worst-fielding playoff 1B of all-time, right? I haven't seen him in his trial run, but the comments have not been kind. Not that I blame him, I can't believe they are putting him in that position.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #772
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So with the Yankees taking the "Sheffield Experiment" at 1B into the playoffs, he has the opportunity to surpass Ryan Klesko as the worst-fielding playoff 1B of all-time, right? I haven't seen him in his trial run, but the comments have not been kind. Not that I blame him, I can't believe they are putting him in that position.

Why on earth are they not DHing Sheffield and playing Giambi at first? Giambi has only played there most of his career and Sheffield has never played the position.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #773
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

As a Twins fan, this has been the most fun season I have ever experienced. And seeing Radke come back last night to throw 5 strong innings makes me feel much better about their chances in the playoffs.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #774
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Why on earth are they not DHing Sheffield and playing Giambi at first? Giambi has only played there most of his career and Sheffield has never played the position.

Giambi has a wrist problem that isn't aggravated when he swings the bat, but IS aggravated when he puts on the first baseman's mitt.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #775
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Looks like the only way the Pads would be out of the playoffs would be if they lost the next 4 games (3 against Arizona and a Monday playoffs with Phillies - assuming the Phils win the last 3).

cbs.sportline has Pads' Kevin Towers as the GM of the Year. I find that amusing since the Pads message board has been dominated all year by posters with names like firetowers, killtowers, ktsucks and so on. Here was a poll posted by somebody and I would like to hear what you think was KT's best move?

Acquiring Mike Cameron from the Mets
Acquiring Adrian Gonzalez, Terrmel Sledge and Chris Young from the Rangers
Acquiring Josh Bard and Cla Meredith from the Red Sox
Signing Mike Piazza as a free agent
Old 09-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #776
Ksyrup

All I can say is, I'm sick to my stomach. But I have to admit that the Twins deserve the division title.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #777
Ksyrup

Holy shit, the back and forth going on right now is amazing, and the playoffs haven't even started. Twins look dead all game, then fall just short against the WS. Tigers take a 5-0 lead, let KC tie it, KC takes a 9-5 lead in the 11th, and now the Tigers have the bases loaded with 1 out.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 PM   #778
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Looks like the only way the Pads would be out of the playoffs would be if they lost the next 4 games (3 against Arizona and a Monday playoffs with Phillies - assuming the Phils win the last 3).

cbs.sportline has Pads' Kevin Towers as the GM of the Year. I find that amusing since the Pads message board has been dominated all year by posters with names like firetowers, killtowers, ktsucks and so on. Here was a poll posted by somebody and I would like to hear what you think was KT's best move?

Acquiring Mike Cameron from the Mets
Acquiring Adrian Gonzalez, Terrmel Sledge and Chris Young from the Rangers
Acquiring Josh Bard and Cla Meredith from the Red Sox
Signing Mike Piazza as a free agent

Great moves by Smith. I like Gonzo and Chris Young alot.

FYI, Giants 3, Dodgers 0 after 5.

Edit: I said Smith (Randy), but I meant Towers.

Last edited by Fouts : 09-29-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #779
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Drew homers, top 7th, cuts the lead to 3-2.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #780
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Drew homers, top 7th, cuts the lead to 3-2.

2 more in the 9th, Dodgers clinch a tie for the wild card, move into a first place tie with two to go.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:31 AM   #781
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Phils won tonight, Padres lost, Dodgers won.

Dodgers and Padres have each clinched no worse than a tie for the wild card, although there's still the potential for a wacky three-way tie among those three teams.

If that happens, Dodgers host the Padres in Los Angeles to determine the division champion. Loser faces Philadelphia for the wild card. LA would travel to Philly for that game; I'm not sure whether or not San Diego won the coin flip to host a potential playoff game with Philly.

This is gonna be a wild weekend.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #782
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm really hoping that the Pads and Dodgers make it in. The Pads can handle the Dodgers if it comes to that. Either team can beat the Cards but the Mets are an unknown.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #783
SackAttack
Head Coach

Padres beat the Snakes 3-1, Dodgers 4-2 winners over the Giants, NL playoff picture is all but complete.

Maddux's 15th win of the year marks the 18th time in his career with at least 15 wins. Unreal.

Mets, Dodgers and Padres are in. Cardinals are in with an Astros loss tonight or a Cardinals win tomorrow, or a Cardinals win over the Giants on Monday (if necessary).

National League West champion has clinched the #2 seed, meaning that the NL West picture looks like this:

Mets host Padres/Dodgers
Dodgers/Padres host Cardinals/Astros

Over in the American League, the Yankees have clinched the #1 seed, and the Tigers can clinch the Central with a win tonight. Their picture looks like this:

Yankees host Tigers/Twins
Tigers/Twins host Athletics

Also, nifty sidenote - the Dodgers become the first visiting team to celebrate a clinching victory in the history of Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T park. Fitting, I think, given the rivalry.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #784
dervack
College Prospect

Pedro is out till June with Torn rotator cuff.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #785
SackAttack
Head Coach

Houston edges Atlanta to remain 1.5 behind the Cardinals with one to play.

Cardinals have a game tomorrow against Milwaukee. Win, and they take the Central crown. Lose, and they still win the Central if Atlanta beats Houston.

A Cardinal loss and an Astros win would require the Cardinals to play their makeup game with the Giants on Monday. A win in that game secures the Central for the Cardinals. A loss in that game would necessitate a one-game playoff with Houston for the NL Central crown, presumably on Tuesday.

That's got implications for the NL West winner, since they would either get an extra day of rest while their opponent is sorted out, or would give them a more favorable pitching matchup in the NLDS.

Needless to say, I'm rooting for the Diamondbacks tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #786
JeeberD
General Manager

We need a fuckin' miracle...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #787
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'll stay away from the Astros tomorrow, Jeebs. I want you guys to push StL to the limit. Right now, it looks unlikely that I can go to an LDS game unless the Dodgers win the West, and an extra day in the regular season might help my schedule line up.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #788
JeeberD
General Manager

I appreciate it, Josh...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:06 PM   #789
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, I'm altrustic as all get-out today.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #790
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Houston edges Atlanta to remain 1.5 behind the Cardinals with one to play.

Cardinals have a game tomorrow against Milwaukee. Win, and they take the Central crown. Lose, and they still win the Central if Atlanta beats Houston.

A Cardinal loss and an Astros win would require the Cardinals to play their makeup game with the Giants on Monday. A win in that game secures the Central for the Cardinals. A loss in that game would necessitate a one-game playoff with Houston for the NL Central crown, presumably on Tuesday.

That's got implications for the NL West winner, since they would either get an extra day of rest while their opponent is sorted out, or would give them a more favorable pitching matchup in the NLDS.

Needless to say, I'm rooting for the Diamondbacks tomorrow.

You sure about the one game playoff if Houston and St Louis are tie for the division?

Because If the Dodgers and San Diego are tie for first place, there will not be a tie breaker. It wil be based on head to head and San Diego will get the west title because they have the beaten up on the Dodgers this season.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:04 AM   #791
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post

Because If the Dodgers and San Diego are tie for first place, there will not be a tie breaker. It wil be based on head to head and San Diego will get the west title because they have the beaten up on the Dodgers this season.

The difference is that the Padres and Dodgers are both in the playoffs no matter what. The tiebreaker game is only played if a playoff spot is in doubt - ala Cardinals/Astros, if they were tied.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:08 AM   #792
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The difference is that the Padres and Dodgers are both in the playoffs no matter what. The tiebreaker game is only played if a playoff spot is in doubt - ala Cardinals/Astros, if they were tied.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2006, 02:11 AM   #793
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
You sure about the one game playoff if Houston and St Louis are tie for the division?

jb, two things here.

1) Learn to read. Or at least speak English. I've been over just about every possible playoff scenario involving the NL in the last couple of days. Before you ask me if I'm "sure about" something, why don't you go look and make sure I haven't already covered that?

2) I know the damn MLB rulebook. Go read that if my posts are too confusing for you. MLB even has it helpfully posted online.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 AM   #794
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
jb, two things here.

1) Learn to read. Or at least speak English. I've been over just about every possible playoff scenario involving the NL in the last couple of days. Before you ask me if I'm "sure about" something, why don't you go look and make sure I haven't already covered that?

2) I know the damn MLB rulebook. Go read that if my posts are too confusing for you. MLB even has it helpfully posted online.

Calm down.

I didn't mean to upset you.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:39 AM   #795
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
jb, two things here.

Damn, Josh. Gotta agree with jb here. A little over the top/aggressive here, don't you think?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #796
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Damn, Josh. Gotta agree with jb here. A little over the top/aggressive here, don't you think?

I broke my toe last night, and it has been hurting like hell since.

I have no tolerance for deliberate ignorance in the best of times, but don't ask me to be sugar-sweet when my foot feels like it's on fire.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #797
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. Thus ends the Astros season. It was like they were just waiting around for Berkman to get a big hit all day but he can only do so much with not much on base in front of him

SI

Old 10-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #798
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Ugh. Thus ends the Astros season. It was like they were just waiting around for Berkman to get a big hit all day but he can only do so much with not much on base in front of him

SI

That and the fact that Houston knocked Atlanta out of the playoffs 2 years in a row is what came back to bite Houston this weekend.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #799
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Argh, and now the Royals are mounting a comeback to get that all important 62nd win of the season for that great moral victory Because, really, that's more important than having the #1 pick next year.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-01-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #800
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's not like the Royals will really pick the best player if they had #1 anyway, beacuse they won't want to pay him the big bucks.