Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #751
watravaler
High School JV

What is the deal with the third post-season tourney? I've read that they will take teams that finish below .500?
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #752
MrBug708
Head Coach

Welcome to the #2 seed in the West Texas
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #753
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Welcome to the #2 seed in the West Texas

eh, if they win out and win the Big 12 tourney I think they will still get a #1 seed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #754
st.cronin
General Manager

Is Michael Beasley a pothead?

Apparently he's a HUGE Spongebob Squarepants fan. Experience tells me that adults who like Spongebob are either stay-at-home parents of small children, or stoners.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #755
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I was thinking the same thing as I watching that piece.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #756
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Anyone hear about the Seton Hall/St. Joe's game?

Basically, Seton Hall is down by 2 or 3 with 2 or 3 seconds left. Seton Hall inbounds the ball, and the guy who gets it throws up a 3/4 court shot and makes it, but right before he shot it, the Seton Hall coach called time out so the shot didn't count.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 03-01-2008 at 11:05 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #757
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
eh, if they win out and win the Big 12 tourney I think they will still get a #1 seed.

Hmm, a five loss Texas team getting a #1 would have to hope that one loss Kansas gets costs them a #1 (which I don't see, unless they lose in the first round of the B12 tourney to some awful team like Texas Tech), and that only one of UNC or Duke get a #1 after one of them will have to lose in the ACC tourney.

Frankly, I don't see it. I think Kansas still gets a #1 even if Texas wins out, and I'm certain at least one of UNC and Duke will get one. Memphis is pretty much a lock for a #1. So that's three #1 spots Texas won't get.

Which means that fourth spot goes to either the other big time ACC squad, UCLA (which if it wins out will be extremely hard to not put at #1 in the West), Tennessee (which if it wins out in the SEC will also be tough to leave out of a #1, at least on par with Texas), Georgetown or Stanford, as well as Texas in the mix.

And not too many of those run contrary to each other--they don't all meet (KU and Texas in the B12 tourney, Duke-UNC play each other again and in the ACC tourney, Stanford-UCLA play each other and in the Pac 10 tourney). So they could all end the year great.

So I can't see figuring even a win out for Texas assures them of a #1.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:58 AM   #758
Radii
Head Coach

I think Cartman is right. 4 loss Kansas isn't getting a 1 seed over 5 loss Texas(which would be the case if Texas wins the Big 12 tourney). Plus, conference tournament wins are often the final deciding factor in seeding when there are two top quality teams in the conference tournament(without going back and looking at seedings, I would bet that UNC and Duke have played the ACC Championship for a 1 seed/2 seed or for the right for the 1 seed in the East at least 5 times in the last 25 years). If Duke beats UNC to sweep them in the regular season, but UNC beats Duke in the ACC final, I think UNC is the more likely 1 seed despite getting swept by Duke in the regular season... same thing goes between KU/Texas this year IMO.

Also despite the 5 losses, Texas has by far the best "Good wins" resume in the nation, with wins vs THREE of the #1 seed contenders.

According to collegerpi.com, Kansas has only the 60th best SOS, and UCLA the 38th, and they are 8th and 9th in the RPI respectively. Of course, UCLA may well have two shots left against Stanford to bump that up

Memphis is still the biggest lock IMO. Tennessee I think has to get a #1 if they win the SEC Tournament, even after the Vandy loss. I think the ACC Tournament winner gets in as long as that is Duke or UNC, even if they don't play each other in the ACC Finals. And I think Texas would trump UCLA if Texas wins out because of the quality of their biggest wins.

Most likely someone chokes their conference tourney, it could be anyone. But if they don't, and there is an ACC Champ, Big 12 champ, Memphis, Tennessee, and UCLA, it'll be real interesting.

And on a personal note I still would rather have UNC the #2 seed in the East to Tennessee's #1, than a #1 anywhere else. I want them playing in Raleigh and then Charlotte to try to get to the Final Four regardless of seeds :P

Prediction: We'll argue about this for the next week and Maryland, Baylor,and USC will win the conference tournaments :P
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #759
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I think Cartman is right. 4 loss Kansas isn't getting a 1 seed over 5 loss Texas(which would be the case if Texas wins the Big 12 tourney). Plus, conference tournament wins are often the final deciding factor in seeding when there are two top quality teams in the conference tournament(without going back and looking at seedings, I would bet that UNC and Duke have played the ACC Championship for a 1 seed/2 seed or for the right for the 1 seed in the East at least 5 times in the last 25 years). If Duke beats UNC to sweep them in the regular season, but UNC beats Duke in the ACC final, I think UNC is the more likely 1 seed despite getting swept by Duke in the regular season... same thing goes between KU/Texas this year IMO.

Also despite the 5 losses, Texas has by far the best "Good wins" resume in the nation, with wins vs THREE of the #1 seed contenders.

According to collegerpi.com, Kansas has only the 60th best SOS, and UCLA the 38th, and they are 8th and 9th in the RPI respectively. Of course, UCLA may well have two shots left against Stanford to bump that up

Memphis is still the biggest lock IMO. Tennessee I think has to get a #1 if they win the SEC Tournament, even after the Vandy loss. I think the ACC Tournament winner gets in as long as that is Duke or UNC, even if they don't play each other in the ACC Finals. And I think Texas would trump UCLA if Texas wins out because of the quality of their biggest wins.

Most likely someone chokes their conference tourney, it could be anyone. But if they don't, and there is an ACC Champ, Big 12 champ, Memphis, Tennessee, and UCLA, it'll be real interesting.

And on a personal note I still would rather have UNC the #2 seed in the East to Tennessee's #1, than a #1 anywhere else. I want them playing in Raleigh and then Charlotte to try to get to the Final Four regardless of seeds :P

Prediction: We'll argue about this for the next week and Maryland, Baylor,and USC will win the conference tournaments :P

Some good points, there, radii, but they are all trumped by that fact your numbers don't take into account yet that Texas just got bum rushed by a mediocre Texas Tech team. collegerpi only updates every Monday and hasn't taken into consideration this week yet.

That is going to be a hit to Texas's RPI and SOS. And that also ignores the subjective impact. After all, the selection committee is human and makes the selections on numerous factors, and Texas is going to drop to maybe #10 in the polls this week with a loss like that. It's polls, so maybe means not much, but it's going to take more rollercoaster moves from others teams to remove that impression and put Texas back in the driver's seat. Not to mention, this loss will be in Texas's last 10 games, which we all know the selection committee looks at.

Then you toss in the natural "fit" of other candidates to regions. Tennessee or Memphis to the South. Duke/UNC to the East. UCLA to the West. Historically, the selection committee tends not to ignroe those affiliations in their seedings. Even if Texas gets a #1, perhaps in the West, or in the East, what favors does that do them, with UCLA #2 or Duke #2 in their own areas?

It would be better for Texas to grab a #2 in the South, where their fans can get to them easier, and hope to be playing Memphis or Tennessee down the line, rather than playing the Bruins in Arizona or the Blue Devils in North Carolina.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:58 AM   #760
Radii
Head Coach

Yeah Chief you are probably right w/ most of that. I still think both Texas and Kansas are pretty much in the drivers seat as to who would get a #1 seed between the two of them if they can win the Big 12 Tournament, but you've sold me on Texas being behind UCLA. Of course all those scenarios assume everyone wins out. But if they do Texas beating Kansas again might not be enough.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #761
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I swear, it seems like there is a regional in Charlotte or Raleigh every year to send either UNC or Duke to.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #762
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee survives Kentucky 63-60 in Knoxville.

If UK had any depth they would have won the game but they simply ran out of gas down the stretch.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #763
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Yeah.

These last few games don't give me much faith in UT, it seems they wilt under the preassure of expectations.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #764
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Yeah.

These last few games don't give me much faith in UT, it seems they wilt under the preassure of expectations.

The Vandy game doesn't concern me too much, that was a perfect storm situation where the loss was pretty predictable IMO.

Kentucky OTOH, to some extent has UT's number. Part of that seems to be psychological, and part of it is that Kentucky does some things that give the Vols trouble. They handle the press reasonably well, they've got several athletic players with solid enough skills that they aren't blown away by the energy UT gets from being able to go so deep on the bench.

I'm not overly optimistic for anything beyond a Sweet 16 berth. The shooters are streaky, they don't defend the penetration & kick very well at times, they struggle to defend big men at times, and they don't protect leads well.

Then again, I'm a nervous wreck about the possibility of seeing a disaster in person tonight as the Lady Vols visit Athens. I'm from the Larry Munson & Vince Dooley School of Pessimism
Old 03-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #765
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I swear, it seems like there is a regional in Charlotte or Raleigh every year to send either UNC or Duke to.

This is the first time I can ever remember the chance to play all the way to the final four in the state of North Carolina. I checked back to 1990 and its definitely not happened since then.

Charlotte has hosted a regional final in 1991, 2005, and 2008. Greensboro hosted a regional in 1998. Charlotte got the final four in 1994.

Its the first and second rounds where there's an edge, but really there's an edge for any regional power that is consistently being sent to the most advantageous region. If Tennessee or Memphis were consistently 1/2 seeds they'd be playing in their home state almost every year. Texas could be playing Regionals in San Antonio every 3rd year it seems if they made it that far as often as Duke/UNC Or Indiana in Indianapolis.

First/Second Round games have been played in North Carolina in 11 years since 1990. Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston Salem, and more recently Raleigh.

The one team that seems to really potentially get screwed is Georgia Tech. Atlanta is a massively popular hosting site, and even though they play in the Georgia Dome and not Tech's home court, Georgia Tech is deemed the host school and therefore can't play there in the first round or the regional.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #766
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Indiana should ask for a running clock in this game against Michigan State.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #767
Radii
Head Coach

Arizona is trying to hang in there vs UCLA but seems to be fading away, down 6 w/ 2 minutes left. Love is having a huge game, 24 pts/14 boards, over 1/3 of UCLA's points. Zona just got a bucket and trails by 4 w/ 1:30ish to go.

Last edited by Radii : 03-02-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #768
Radii
Head Coach

I'm not sure I understand Arizona's strategy on that last play... down 3 with 12 seconds to go, they take about 6 seconds to get the ball up the court and drive to the basket instead of taking a 3?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #769
Radii
Head Coach

Oh, never mind. The strategy was to make one free throw, miss the second and have UCLA knock it out of bounds going for the rebound. Perfect.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #770
Radii
Head Coach

Christ Arizona looked like dogshit those last two plays. That was pretty horrible.

So this weekend:

Memphis struggles some but puts away their opponent.
Duke has to stage a massive comeback to beat NC State by 1
UNC also has to go on a huge run to beat Boston College
Tennessee barely beats Kentucky
UCLA barely beats Arizona
Texas loses.

GOGO #1 seeds!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #771
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

UCLA should have been called for an intentional foul with something like 5 minutes left in the game, as a UCLA player stuck out his foot to trip Budinger near the free throw line.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #772
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Christ Arizona looked like dogshit those last two plays. That was pretty horrible.

So this weekend:

Memphis struggles some but puts away their opponent.
Duke has to stage a massive comeback to beat NC State by 1
UNC also has to go on a huge run to beat Boston College
Tennessee barely beats Kentucky
UCLA barely beats Arizona
Texas loses.

GOGO #1 seeds!

Heh...yeah, #1 seeds don't look too great. In UCLA's defense, that was in McKale. Not exactly an easy trip.

Arizona did look like shit at the end with their decision making. Just odd.

That said, if they don't get in to the tourney, that would suck. They have tons more talent than a lot of teams who will go (if they don't).

Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #773
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
UCLA should have been called for an intentional foul with something like 5 minutes left in the game, as a UCLA player stuck out his foot to trip Budinger near the free throw line.

Aboya went for the steal on a Budinger fake, and Budinger passed too close to Aboya as he tried to recover. Nothing intentional there. Right call on the straight up foul. Oh, and it was out past the three point line.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #774
Radii
Head Coach

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

looks like Lunardi and Chief Rum are on the same page. At first glance, there are some really dangerous teams in the 7-10 seed range. Baylor has played some incredible games this year, Kansas State, Arizona, Mississippi State, Davidson, etc. Hell if that were the actual bracket I would probably fill out my sheet with Tennessee going down in the 2nd round.

On the ACC front, Clemson has finally played their way in. Miami, Virginia Tech, and Maryland are all very, very shaky, but all have winnable games to close out their seasons
Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #775
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
These last few games don't give me much faith in UT, it seems they wilt under the pressure of expectations.

Vols trail Florida by 16 midway through the first half in Gainesville.
UT shooting 50% from the floor, Gators shooting 75%.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #776
MrBug708
Head Coach

Navy went down on a last second long distance three point shot
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #777
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

55-42 Florida at the half, Gators still shooting 68% from the floor after hitting their first 9 in a row.

edit to add: 10 minutes left to play, Florida by 4.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-05-2008 at 09:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #778
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

70-69 Tennessee with 7:39 to go.
edit to add: 79-69 UT with 5:29 to go.
edit: 83-82 UT with 2:39 left.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-05-2008 at 10:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #779
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee hangs on 89-86 and clinches the regular season SEC title.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #780
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Stanford off to a hot start against UCLA.. I don't watch much Pac-10 basketball, but I really enjoy watching the Cardinal. The Lopez brothers are just fun to watch. They cause so many problems around the basket, which I think makes them really tough in the NCAA tournament.

Also, not a huge fan of Kevin Love.. He just looks like trailer trash and reminds me too much of Hansbrough. I know I am going to get killed for this because it seems like lots of UCLA and UNC fans frequent this thread. I realize they are both (Love and Hansbrough) players I would love if they were on the team I followed, but they aren't so that's how I feel.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #781
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Love is a phenominal player. He's an extremely talented and fundamental big man. Too many big men try to get by on size/ability alone, Love is a great passer, good shooter and has outstanding footwork. Essentially, he's like a Euro in the body of an american (ie, tough) big man.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #782
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA lost their ability to shoot and shoot FT's
Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #783
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Never doubted his skills. He doesn't look nor play like a freshman out there. I think part of my dislike (along with Hansbrough) is the talking heads constantly throwing these guys in my face, talking about how great they are. I realize Love doesn't get half the attention that Hansbrough gets, but he is in the same boat in my opinion. They both are great college basketball players, but something about the way they play isn't what I like in a player.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #784
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Come, Cardinal! Hang tough!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #785
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Come on, I mean! Come on, Cardinal. Gonna need Finger to hold it down against Love with Robin Lopez having picked up his 3rd.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #786
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Can you say travel?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #787
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

That missed dunk was caused by the terrible non call when he traveled like crazy.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #788
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Alright, Stanford up 7 with the ball. Lopez boys taking over, as is Collison. Collison is a lottery pick. He can hit every thing, and he's super quick. Mitch Johnson has done a hell of a job tonight, though. Gonna be a good last 7 minutes here.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #789
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Coming down to the wire. My guess is Love makes these FTs and we're in a one possession game. Stanford has been terrific tonight.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #790
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

We're missing opportunities here. Glad we got that last one. Can't give Stanford another chance to move back to 7 up.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #791
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Did he call that?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #792
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

How is Stanford going to blow this? I just have a bad feeling.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #793
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And one! even as I speak. Sheesh, where is everyone?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #794
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
How is Stanford going to blow this? I just have a bad feeling.

Why can't it be UCLA taking it? They have been doing it all year. The announcers have it right--this Bruins team knows how to come back. They have done it a lot.

That said, I don't think we have tried to come back against anywhere near as good a team as we're playing tonight.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #795
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
And one! even as I speak. Sheesh, where is everyone?
I'm from Indiana and I'm here!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #796
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Dola..

It just seems like Stanford is scared and not playing smart late in this game. That is why I said that.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #797
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Bad foul. Surprised Lopez missed the second free, too.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #798
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Dola..

It just seems like Stanford is scared and not playing smart late in this game. That is why I said that.

Well, think about it. They're beating UCLA in Pauley, one of UCLA's best teams. I would think they might have some nerves, too. Imagine a very good but relatively less tradition-rich team like Wisconsin going into Indiana on their home court with the conference title on the line and winning?

Two very good teams here. Neither should be disappointed. There should be a #1 seed and a #2 seed here.

TIE BALL GAME!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #799
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

That was a horrible call.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #800
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, STanford almost doesn't get it across the timeline. Then Hill scores. Then Collison goes one on five and gets fouled!