Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #701
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You guys suck. I don't know when I will have time to play. Maybe in a week.

Same here. I've been too busy to get in any PS3 time and won't be able to for another week or two. But, today was a GREAT Father's day and I'll wait until I have some time to play

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-16-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #702
Radii
Head Coach

I've been playing The Last of Us on hard difficulty, I've been in the habit of starting games on hard for awhile now to see how I hold up, too many games get too easy as your power creeps up later. I don't think this is going to be one of those games. I don't really know exactly what the difference is between normal and hard, but holy shit this is hard. I'm struggling through what looks like a museum on the way to the capitol now. I've thought about dropping the difficulty a few times, but have resisted thus far. What I've seen so far is really fun and really challenging.

Last edited by Radii : 06-17-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #703
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I've been playing The Last of Us on hard difficulty, I've been in the habit of starting games on hard for awhile now to see how I hold up, too many games get too easy as your power creeps up later. I don't think this is going to be one of those games. I don't really know exactly what the difference is between normal and hard, but holy shit this is hard. I'm struggling through what looks like a museum on the way to the capitol now. I've thought about dropping the difficulty a few times, but have resisted thus far. What I've seen so far is really fun and really challenging.

Despite my 34+ years of playing video games I've never been great at them. I am better at some games than others and in my youth I was pretty good at some. That time has passed. I am a bit of a spastic button-masher at times. I am playing this on normal and find it plenty challenging. Then again, I fear I am becoming too reliant on the shotgun and molotovs. This could present problems in the future, but I've been very good about scrounging around everywhere.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #704
Kodos
Resident Alien

Is this basically a stealth game, like Metal Gear Solid? I tend not to have the patience for stealth games, even if Last Of Us sounds very interesting.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #705
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Despite my 34+ years of playing video games I've never been great at them. I am better at some games than others and in my youth I was pretty good at some. That time has passed. I am a bit of a spastic button-masher at times.

This is probably why I prefer platformers, adventure type games, and RPG's. Until they through stupid gimmicks (like motion control) into it. I'm stoked the PS4 doesn't require or bundle-in the motion control crap.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #706
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Despite my 34+ years of playing video games I've never been great at them. I am better at some games than others and in my youth I was pretty good at some. That time has passed. I am a bit of a spastic button-masher at times. I am playing this on normal and find it plenty challenging. Then again, I fear I am becoming too reliant on the shotgun and molotovs. This could present problems in the future, but I've been very good about scrounging around everywhere.

I missed a couple scrounging locations, which has me disappointed, and somewhat considering starting over. Would be nice to pickup that training manual I missed that helps with health.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #707
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Is this basically a stealth game, like Metal Gear Solid? I tend not to have the patience for stealth games, even if Last Of Us sounds very interesting.

There are definitely stealth aspects to it, but it's not 100% stealth. The environment really gets you too. Playing in the subway station with the lights off in my apartment late at night was fucking...creepy man. I literally tensed up like I was there.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #708
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kinda like Silent Hill in that aspect?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #709
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Kinda like Silent Hill in that aspect?

Never played Silent Hill so idk.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #710
korme
Go Reds

Don't understand why this game isn't available as a demo?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #711
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm about 9 or 10 hours in playing on hard and
Spoiler
There have been a few areas that I've had to retry a number of times. It really has made me think about how to use/conserve my ammo and resources more than any game since System Shock 2.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-18-2013 at 10:56 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #712
Radii
Head Coach

You're further along than I.

Spoiler

I'm having to retry a lot but its rarely frustrating, most times I die and have to retry I feel like I could have played it smarter, which makes it feel rewarding when I get through it. There have been a couple spots where I've just felt overwhelmed and feel like I'm retrying til I get a lucky break, but eventually get through them.

There have been some sections that have been really difficult and intense and I feel exhausted when I'm done and have to take a break, or else I probably would have gotten a lot further by now
Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #713
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're further along than I.

Spoiler

I'm having to retry a lot but its rarely frustrating, most times I die and have to retry I feel like I could have played it smarter, which makes it feel rewarding when I get through it. There have been a couple spots where I've just felt overwhelmed and feel like I'm retrying til I get a lucky break, but eventually get through them.

There have been some sections that have been really difficult and intense and I feel exhausted when I'm done and have to take a break, or else I probably would have gotten a lot further by now

Bloater?

Use Molatov's to set him on fire and just run away from him. Bill will help you kill him if you stay out of his reach.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #714
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I can't seem to save this game to save my life. Everytime I try to manual save it gets overwritten. Grrr.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #715
mckerney
Coordinator

It looks like anyone with a PS3 should hold off on running the system update. It sounds like it's mostly on systems with upgraded hard drives or the 500 GB stock drive, but some have had issues with the system not booting after an upgrade.

If you've already run it and had no issue you should be fine though.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #716
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I can't seem to save this game to save my life. Everytime I try to manual save it gets overwritten. Grrr.

I think it autosaves whichever save file was used last, if you want to keep a save at a certain part I think you'd have to create a second save file and then save over the on that you had previously used.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #717
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I think it autosaves whichever save file was used last, if you want to keep a save at a certain part I think you'd have to create a second save file and then save over the on that you had previously used.

Good thinking. Just trying to avoid having to do repetitive stuff when I foul up (going upstairs to get the keycard in the hotel basement mostly).
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #718
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Good thinking. Just trying to avoid having to do repetitive stuff when I foul up (going upstairs to get the keycard in the hotel basement mostly).

Ah. Not sure if you're able to do that. It might have a system where when it saves it sets it at the last checkpoint you crossed rather than exactly at the spot where you saved. Haven't checked though.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #719
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Phew...outran the bloater there to the security door. Was surprised and killed there once last night and then killed my first time trying it just now...thought I could run upstairs and escape him and he surprised me. This time I booked it and only had to kill one in the upstairs hallway.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-18-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #720
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

This, I have been bitten by this a couple times where I wanted to retry an area and wasn't able to b/c I hadn't jumped through the hoops to get a save set aside properly.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #721
SackAttack
Head Coach

PS3 users, beware the 4.45 firmware update if your hard drive is over 500 GB in size.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #722
mckerney
Coordinator

Rumor - Steam to Allow Game Borrowing - NeoGAF

From a recent beta update, it looks like Steam may be implementing a borrowing system. No details on how it works, but I'd have to imagine it wouldn't be something available for all games and the developer would have to opt in.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #723
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

So EA announced that going forward they won't be optimizing their games for NVIDIA GPU's?

Is this basically another finger being given by EA to their customers? I don't really know the full details, anyone that can explain it to me? My first inclination is that I should be pissed off.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #724
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
So EA announced that going forward they won't be optimizing their games for NVIDIA GPU's?

Is this basically another finger being given by EA to their customers? I don't really know the full details, anyone that can explain it to me? My first inclination is that I should be pissed off.

Sony and Microsoft are both using AMD in the next generation, and EA Sports games typically don't make it to PC these days.

Which means there's kind of a limited subset of games affected - non-sports titles which get published on PC (not all of the non-sports games they make even get that far).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #725
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Don't understand why this game isn't available as a demo?

Because the number of people who were not convinced to buy the game by excellent word of mouth and a Metacritic score of 95 but would be willing to shell out $60+ after a demo is financially negligible.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #726
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Because the number of people who were not convinced to buy the game by excellent word of mouth and a Metacritic score of 95 but would be willing to shell out $60+ after a demo is financially negligible.

This. Just go ahead and buy it Shorty - it's excellent.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #727
korme
Go Reds

I may begrudingly do so. I just prefer to get my own feel for it, regardless of critics or others' taste.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #728
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I may begrudingly do so. I just prefer to get my own feel for it, regardless of critics or others' taste.

I'm with you 99.9% of the time. Totally.

I took somewhat of a flier on this game based on the setting and what I'd seen/heard of it, and it hasn't disappointed me yet.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #729
mckerney
Coordinator

The Last of Us demo is still only available with the God of War: Ascension disc for some reason.

I do agree with DaddyTorgo, the game hasn't disappointed me as far as living up to the prerelease reviews and hype, something Bioshock Infinite didn't do earlier in the year with similar reviews.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #730
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I do agree with DaddyTorgo, the game hasn't disappointed me as far as living up to the prerelease reviews and hype

big +1
Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #731
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I am shocked - but apparently Microsoft has buckled:

Quote:
Microsoft made the following changes:

* No more always online requirement
* The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
* All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
* Authentication is no longer necessary
* An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
* All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
* No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
* Region locks have been dropped

Microsoft has stated that they listened to gamer feedback very carefully, and were appreciative of fan concerns and responded to them.

In a long letter to fans, Microsoft wrote:

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #732
mckerney
Coordinator

Finished The Last of Us, did not let down at any point an is an incredible experience throughout. At this point I'd put it alongside the first two episodes of Kentucky Route Zero as far as my game of the year contenders go.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #733
korme
Go Reds

You beat the game already? How many hours is that?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #734
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I am shocked - but apparently Microsoft has buckled:

Plus, they're renaming it. It's now the XBox 180.

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #735
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
You beat the game already? How many hours is that?

It was around 15 hours on hard difficulty. Tried to find as much as I could though there were some collectibles and conversations I missed. Might have finished a day or two earlier but there were a few points in the story where I just just had to take a break afterwards.

I didn't notice it while playing, but the game does follow the Nolan North Must be in Every Video Game rule. I didn't recognize him at all and he does a great job with the role, even better than his Spec Ops: The Line role.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #736
korme
Go Reds

That doesn't seem like a lot of hours.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #737
korme
Go Reds

Well holy shit. I just watched a gameplay video and it looks awesome. I think I'm gonna dive in.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #738
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
It was around 15 hours on hard difficulty. Tried to find as much as I could though there were some collectibles and conversations I missed. Might have finished a day or two earlier but there were a few points in the story where I just just had to take a break afterwards.

are you going to play through it again on survival mode?

I'd be done with the game now if not for taking unexpected breaks as well. A couple times because I was in a difficult fight and dying a lot and taking a break and coming back later with fresh eyes helped me figure out how to get past it. But a few times I'd get through an area and want to keep playing but I felt exhausted because its so intense and I'm so focused the entire time I'm playing.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #739
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
That doesn't seem like a lot of hours.

It feels like a good length after playing through it, there's good pacing to the story and I'm not sure adding more on just to lengthen the game would've been good.

As far as whether or not a 15 hour game is worth $60 that's entirely a matter of personal preference. It is for me though could see where someone else might disagree. I don't think it's out of line with the cost of other forms of entertainment. I've read good things about the multiplayer, though I don't think I'll end up touching it. I will probably give New Game+ or Survivor difficulty a go at some point though as it really is one of the best single player games I've played. The only word of warning I'd give is if you really want a game where you can make choices in the story you'll be disappointed. It's very much like Uncharted in that it's like you're playing through a movie, though in terms of gameplay and tone I think it's quite different from the Uncharted series.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #740
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
are you going to play through it again on survival mode?

I'd be done with the game now if not for taking unexpected breaks as well. A couple times because I was in a difficult fight and dying a lot and taking a break and coming back later with fresh eyes helped me figure out how to get past it. But a few times I'd get through an area and want to keep playing but I felt exhausted because its so intense and I'm so focused the entire time I'm playing.

I probably will at some point but I'm not going to replay it right away. I'm gonna finish a few other games right now, starting with the last couple chapters of Hotline Miami and getting back into The Valkyria Chronicles after I stopped that to play The Last of Us.

There were several places I had to try a bunch of times, but it was always the, "holy fucking shit," moments in the story that lead to me needing to take a break.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #741
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I really like the idea that all PS4 games can be played on the Vita as well. I wonder if there are any interested integration features people will try to take advantage of.

Either the power on the Vita is off the charts expensive to be that small or the PS4 isn't a huge jump forward. Something has to give there, right?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #742
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Either the power on the Vita is off the charts expensive to be that small or the PS4 isn't a huge jump forward. Something has to give there, right?

SI

Neither of those things, you can stream games from a PS4 to a Vita over a local network. All the processing and rendering is done by the PS4 while the Vita only serves as a screen and controller.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #743
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

This story warms the cockles of my video gaming heart

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #744
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 06-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #745
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
It was around 15 hours on hard difficulty.

This is why sucking at video games can be a blessing as far as longevity of games go. I have put in 9 hours spread over the past 3 nights, and am still in "Summer"... With three seasons to go I am assuming the game is going to take me nearly 40 hours to finish...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #746
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

da fuq!??!!?

I JUST got to fall. Like Just. And the end of Summer...whoa. Didn't see that coming.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #747
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
da fuq!??!!?

I JUST got to fall. Like Just. And the end of Summer...whoa. Didn't see that coming.

Just got there myself. I had planned to play for a good long while, but yeah... I gotta take a break and do something else for a bit, fuck.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #748
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
da fuq!??!!?

Were you expecting a different season after Summer?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #749
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Thanks ...'cause that's pretty much where I went too
Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #750
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Trying not to spoil things for anyone who wasn't there.