Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #701
Jas_lov
College Starter

That was FSU who wasted all that time and then Miami called the TO. Horrible clock management by FSU, horrible pooch kick by Miami, great game though.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #702
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That drop/uncatch is going to hurt that guy for years.

Great Game, instant classic.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #703
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Then wasting all that time only to call a time out.

Miami called the timeout, not FSU. However, that was some bad clock management that cost FSU at the end.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #704
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
That was FSU who wasted all that time and then Miami called the TO. Horrible clock management by FSU, horrible pooch kick by Miami, great game though.

Miami started to sub players after (or was late too get all of its players on the field) FSU did (hence why Miami called the TO).

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-07-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #705
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
That drop/uncatch is going to hurt that guy for years.

Great Game, instant classic.

To be fair, it was a terrible throw by Ponder to a guy who was wide open.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #706
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah WTF was FSU doing letting 30+ seconds run off the clock? Too cocky, and it killed them.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #707
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I know the officials like to run the clock and not put time back on the clock, but it sure looked like that pass was incomplete with 1 second left on the replay. Seems like FSU should have had another down with 1 second left on the clock.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #708
miami_fan
Coordinator

Very proud of the Canes tonight. We still have some things to work on though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #709
tarcone
Coordinator

Great game
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #710
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I know the officials like to run the clock and not put time back on the clock, but it sure looked like that pass was incomplete with 1 second left on the replay. Seems like FSU should have had another down with 1 second left on the clock.

I thought more time ran off the clock when FSU called their last TO. The home clock operator slipped on that one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #711
Galaxy
Coordinator

All I can is that I'm so glad it's September. Football is back with hockey just around the corner.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #712
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:

Possible. I know that in basketball a violation doesn't occur until the whistle blows (so they guy could have taken five steps, but until the ref stops the play, the clock still rolls). I don't know how it works with football replay. But, it was apparent that the refs took a second or two to rule the incompletion (they had to see the ball on the turf).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #713
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It seems really stupid to have Bobby Bowden out there pretending to be a head coach just so he can rack up more wins for his total. Everyone can tell he's not "coaching" a damn thing.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #714
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It seems really stupid to have Bobby Bowden out there pretending to be a head coach just so he can rack up more wins for his total. Everyone can tell he's not "coaching" a damn thing.

At this point he wont catch JoePa. Maybe this is his ride into the sunset.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #715
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
At this point he wont catch JoePa. Maybe this is his ride into the sunset.

Yeap. If they take away those 14 wins, he will have a lot of ground to make up.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #716
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Very disappointed by this game. I am convince Florida State is cursed against Miami and until Bobby along with his defensive staff leave we will not be elite ever again. That defensive performance was down right disgracefully and Mickey Andrews should be ashamed considering he use to be one of the best in the business.

I take nothing away from Miami because they went up to Tallahassee and won the game. Harris is cool, calm and collected just the way I remember him when he played at Miami Northwestern. They made the plays they had to make and won.

I am not even angry or sad, I am just disappointed but not surprised because Florida State always finds a way to blow it against Miami.(As well as other good teams, Wake especially)

Great Game Canes. My phone is officially off because it has not stopped ringing or buzzing from the texts.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #717
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Great Game Canes. My phone is officially off because it has not stopped ringing or buzzing from the texts.

are all your Buffalo honies blowin it up?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #718
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
are all your Buffalo honies blowin it up?

I don't understand this unnecessary swipe.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #719
cyril
Mascot

Quote:
I am convince Florida State is cursed against Miami .

ever since i witnessed the wide right and wide left, I do feel that FSU is cursed. Miami often seems to find a way to win vs the Noles (esp. when the Noles were ranked higher) and the way they won are always just by the edge and funky, though I have nothing to complain since I wear orange and green

but UM-FSU games have always been exciting and close, whether they were in top 10 or not.
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #720
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BTW, the ESPN Clock is UNOFFICIAL and not tied into the game clock etcetera, so claims that there should still have been a second left on the clock are.. misguided.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #721
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm really impressed with Jacory so far.
I was really impressed with him last year and coming out of HS. Despite actually having decent measurables (speed, height, arm strength) I feel like he was underrated and just one of those QB's that wins ballgames. Having Mark Whipple as OC appeared to help immeasurably as well. That guy knows what he's doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Ouch...his balls!
That was a hilarious injury. Get some better fitting pants.
Quote:
I don't think there should have 1 second left, but I think FSU should have run a faster ending play (basically a quick slant, but even that previous fade took 4 seconds) so they had 2 shots instead of 1. The announcers were idiots talking about 5 seconds meaing 1 play, and then once FSU rolled Ponder out they proved them right.

Great finish to Week 1. Next week doesn't have a ton of great matchups on paper, but enough to keep my attention. Clemson-GT to start on Thursday, 2 intriguing 3:30 matchups in rejuvenated teams ND-Michigan and a possible offensive showcase in Houston-OK St, and nightcaps of SC-Georgia and USC-Ohio St.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 AM   #722
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My phone is officially off because it has not stopped ringing or buzzing from the texts.
Including some from your brother?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #723
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The CFN rankings are out after the first week of games. BYU and Mizzou have the biggest jumps.

Scout.com: CFN Rankings Of Every Team - Week 1
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #724
Logan
Head Coach

Not much to say about the shit effort Rutgers put up yesterday. To see the defense get completely dominated was a disgrace. I have no idea why we were playing so far off the LOS, leaving guys open for 7 yards in the middle of the field before even trying to cover. Same for why we tried matching their no-huddle offense, when that's not our style and our defense was getting pushed around. You really want to get a beaten D back out there quicker?

Nothing was thrown downfield on offense, it was all curls with the occassional crossing route by Tim Brown. And a talented couple of RBs with a good blocking line saw pretty much all their opportunities come out of the shotgun. Just a complete, complete disaster.

That being said, despite being hungover, tired, and just sick of college football after coming back from the stadium...I still stayed up and watched the end of the FSU-Miami game. It didn't take long for me to get over being sick of it.

Greg Reid was just ridiculous. I'm trying to think of a more impressive debut by a true defensive freshman.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #725
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:

I like the kid they have following him around at all times. From what I could tell his entire job is to keep Bobby from wandering out onto the field, I doubt that headset is even plug in.

But hey, if Jimbo Fisher is okay with all the work but no title then more power to him.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #726
timmynausea
College Starter

That was the most entertaining ACC game I've watched in a long time. I know the conference struggled over the first weekened pretty horribly, but maybe that FSU-Miami game is kind of a sign of the "dead QB" era in the ACC is ending. It seems like all of the ACC games over the past few years have been 13-10 type games with a lot of horrible execution on offense. The only decent QB I can think of in the last 3 or 4 years was Matt Ryan at BC, and truthfully, he didn't have much at WR.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #727
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New AP poll is out. Mizzou into the top 25. BYU with a big jump. OU falls 10 spots.

2009 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 2 - ESPN
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #728
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
I like the kid they have following him around at all times. From what I could tell his entire job is to keep Bobby from wandering out onto the field, I doubt that headset is even plug in.

This is comedy gold.

And the game was great, Cameron outcoached Fisher by a hair. Well played by both sides, and the QB's looked great. I am excited to see the U slowly rise back to the forefront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #729
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Glad to see Ohio state drop after that pitiful display. Also glad to see Cincinnati, they played great yesterday and deserved it.

How on earth does Oregeon still get 47 votes?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #730
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Glad to see Ohio state drop after that pitiful display.

I am not an Ohio State fan by any means, but I still think they are the team to beat in the Big Ten. The Buckeye team you saw last Saturday will be totally different than the one you see this Saturday. They didn't want to show anything, plus defending Navy's unorthodox offense isn't simple, especially when the Midshipmen had all spring/summer to gameplan.

Typically the Buckeyes start out slow. Now i must go vomit for defending them
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #731
Tigercat
College Starter

LSU should have dropped in the polls after that anemic performance against Washington, but I guess the game was so late that many missed it. Tigers have a chance to prove they are a top 10 team with an improved performance against Vandy this weekend.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #732
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I am not an Ohio State fan by any means, but I still think they are the team to beat in the Big Ten. The Buckeye team you saw last Saturday will be totally different than the one you see this Saturday. They didn't want to show anything, plus defending Navy's unorthodox offense isn't simple, especially when the Midshipmen had all spring/summer to gameplan.

Typically the Buckeyes start out slow. Now i must go vomit for defending them

Wow, I guess I can look forward to your passionate defense of Sidney Crosby and the Penguins in the NHL thread. Awesome!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #733
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wow, I am shocked of the big jump for BYU...

I didn't expect it...I was thinking if we could win Tulane and FSU we would get to where we are now in the AP.

Not complaining...but hate having that bullseye on our back for the rest of the season.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #734
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wow, I guess I can look forward to your passionate defense of Sidney Crosby and the Penguins in the NHL thread. Awesome!

I won't do it again.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #735
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Just wanted to echo what a great game the Miami-FSU game was. It's nice to see both schools (especially the U) back in relevance!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #736
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Wow, I am shocked of the big jump for BYU...

I didn't expect it...I was thinking if we could win Tulane and FSU we would get to where we are now in the AP.

Not complaining...but hate having that bullseye on our back for the rest of the season.
Wouldn't BYU have that bullseye on them as long as they were undefeated? It's a great thing for them that now they can win out and be assured of a BCS bowl, and might even have an outside chance with 1 loss. (Or, assuming perfect disaster strikes, a very outside shot at the title game now.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #737
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Just wanted to echo what a great game the Miami-FSU game was. It's nice to see both schools (especially the U) back in relevance!

No it wasn't.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #738
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
LSU should have dropped in the polls after that anemic performance against Washington, but I guess the game was so late that many missed it. Tigers have a chance to prove they are a top 10 team with an improved performance against Vandy this weekend.
I'm looking forward to the UW proving over the course of the season that LSU's effort against them wasn't anemic...

Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #739
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm looking forward to the UW proving over the course of the season that LSU's effort against them wasn't anemic...

I think UW right now looks like ~.500 team, with the possibility of being a little bit better or worse. But LSU should look much better against a .500 team than that, based on the talent levels. Too many mis-tackles, poor blocking on offense, ect ect.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #740
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I think UW right now looks like ~.500 team, with the possibility of being a little bit better or worse. But LSU should look much better against a .500 team than that, based on the talent levels. Too many mis-tackles, poor blocking on offense, ect ect.
Yeah, probably true. I think there's no question LSU got UW's best effort. As much as you guys were disappointed with last years' 8-5, I don't think LSU's motivation level could've been as high as the UW's, and that, plus the home atmosphere help explain the closeness of the game.

Last edited by dawgfan : 09-08-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #741
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Wouldn't BYU have that bullseye on them as long as they were undefeated? It's a great thing for them that now they can win out and be assured of a BCS bowl, and might even have an outside chance with 1 loss. (Or, assuming perfect disaster strikes, a very outside shot at the title game now.)

Yeah, but with the MWC when the top 3 play the other teams it is basically their bowl game and then you add in the rankings and it turns into a tougher game than it usually is.

But they can win out, with FSU, Utah and TCU all at home it helps a lot.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #742
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Yeah, but with the MWC when the top 3 play the other teams it is basically their bowl game and then you add in the rankings and it turns into a tougher game than it usually is.

But they can win out, with FSU, Utah and TCU all at home it helps a lot.

I wonder what would happen if BYU and Boise State both won out.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #743
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I wonder what would happen if BYU and Boise State both won out.
BYU would probably be in the BCS title game, but I have my doubts BSU would - I don't think their SOS will be good enough to boost them past a BCS conference 1-loss team, especially if it's a traditional power like Florida or USC.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #744
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'd think BYU would have the edge. Especially since they took down Oklahoma while Boise took down Oregon.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #745
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

BYU vs. BSU would be excellent. Too bad college football is so fucked up that it won't happen.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #746
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
BYU vs. BSU would be excellent. Too bad college football is so fucked up that it won't happen.

Jut the opposite. A title game like that would confirm that college football is all fucked up. I'm all for letting the smaller conference schools into the picture via a playoff, but determining that those two teams were #1 and #2 would be a disaster for college football. The only good part would be that it would likely mean the end of the BCS.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #747
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, I'd think BYU would have the edge. Especially since they took down Oklahoma while Boise took down Oregon.

Plus BYU still has Florida State to play and plays in the Mountain West Conference with quality teams like TCU and Utah. Looking at the remaining schedule for Boise State their best team remaining is...Nevada? Fresno State? I would say BYU has a huge edge here, plus I'm guessing that Oregon win isn't going to look so good at the end of the season.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #748
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Jut the opposite. A title game like that would confirm that college football is all fucked up. I'm all for letting the smaller conference schools into the picture via a playoff, but determining that those two teams were #1 and #2 would be a disaster for college football. The only good part would be that it would likely mean the end of the BCS.

Two things:

1) I never said these two teams were/are #1 and #2
2) College football is fucked up because of many reasons, including the greed of the big conferences and the good 'ol boys in power. I completely understand why this is so, and have no real problems with it except that I think programs like BSU, TCU, BYU, and others should have a chance at proving themselves against other top programs. On the other hand, the BCS is a complete joke.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #749
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Two things:

1) I never said these two teams were/are #1 and #2
2) College football is fucked up because of many reasons, including the greed of the big conferences and the good 'ol boys in power. I completely understand why this is so, and have no real problems with it except that I think programs like BSU, TCU, BYU, and others should have a chance at proving themselves against other top programs. On the other hand, the BCS is a complete joke.

I agree. They should have a playoff of some sort to give those teams a shot to prove they deserve it.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #750
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I completely understand why this is so, and have no real problems with it except that I think programs like BSU, TCU, BYU, and others should have a chance at proving themselves against other top programs.
They do - it's called "out of conference scheduling". Credit to BYU for scheduling Oklahoma, and as a result of that decision, they are now in the hunt for a BCS title game spot.

Credit to Boise as well for scheduling Oregon, but that's not quite as impressive as Oklahoma, and given they are in the WAC, they could use as many impressive OOC opponents as they can get.

Strength of schedule matters.