Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #701
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Spleen is on the clock, followed by BK with 10.12 and 11.1
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #702
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
Racer's Pick:

10.10 Jim Henson (1980s-1990s) – cultural icon

Creator of both Sesame Street and the Muppets, he revolutionized childhood programming by creating characters young children could relate to.

I really wanted to use the 1980s-1990s for my military leader since I would have preferred using the renaissance and the classic age on the cultural icon and women categories. However, since this was time of peace and prosperity for the industrialized world, there aren't any big name generals and therefore I have decide to place it "safe" and use one of the other two eras for my military leader.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #703
spleen1015
Coordinator

10.11 Norman Rockwell - Artist (WWII)

His works enjoy a broad popular appeal in the United States, where Rockwell is most famous for the cover illustrations of everyday life scenarios he created for The Saturday Evening Post magazine over more than four decades. Among the best-known of Rockwell's works are the Willie Gillis series, Rosie the Riveter (although his Rosie was reproduced less than others of the day), Saying Grace (1951), and the Four Freedoms series.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #704
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Just peeking in before heading out again. I should be home for good by 8. Love a lot of these picks, Vlad the Impaler is a good one. I was thinking of him as my evil person. Can't go wrong with the inspiration for Dracula.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #705
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I like Norman Rockwell quite a bit.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #706
Barkeep49
Coordinator

10.12 Queen Isabella of Spain - Woman (Renaissance)

She was the prototype of the strong ruling Queen that Elizabeth would take to a new effect later on. Through her co-rule of Spain with Ferdinand, Spain became united under Christian rule for the first time since the Romans, thanks to her sponsorship of exploration the foundation for Spanish dominance for the next 100+ years went into effect. She brought peace and prosperity to Spain, and that is what all good rulers should do.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 06-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #707
Barkeep49
Coordinator

11.1 - Antonio Vivaldi Musician (1600s)

A fine composer, best known for his 4 seasons compositions. To hear my favorite two movements see these links:
Winter Movement 2
Spring Movement 1
Old 06-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #708
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Izulde, GRrrrrr!

I figured that was the pick you were going to make, so needless to say I breathed a -huge- sigh of relief when spleen passed on him, because the three of us were the only ones who could make that selection. I was absolutely screwed for Ancient if Zoraster (who I knew of before) would've been taken.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #709
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
10.1 Niccolò Machiavelli, Scribe, Renaissance (1400-1600)

I was wondering when he'd go off the board.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #710
Izulde
Head Coach

trola,

The Uematsu pick was a bit of a gamble, I know, but I really think he was an extremely important figure in the world of music and a pioneer in the ways I mentioned.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #711
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
10.8 Maximilian Robespierre Evil person, 1700's

Robespierre was a key leader of the French revolution and while this might seem to make him a decent person he is also a key figure in what is known as "The Terror" an 18 month period of killing and cleansing of the French nation in which nearly 40,000 people are believed to have been murdered or executed. In the last days of the Terror more than 1900 people were guillotined.

In a bit of irony about a year later Robespierre himself was imprisoned and executed by Guillotine for his role in the Terror.

Nice value pick.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #712
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
10.12 Queen Isabella of Spain - Woman (Renaissance)

She was the prototype of the strong ruling Queen that Elizabeth would take to a new effect later on. Through her co-rule of Spain with Ferdinand, Spain became united under Christian rule for the first time since the Romans, thanks to her sponsorship of exploration the foundation for Spanish dominance for the next 100+ years went into effect. She brought peace and prosperity to Spain, and that is what all good rulers should do.

Spain wasn't actually united. Castile and Aragon were still separate kingdoms, a fact which pissed Ferdinand off to no end, because he never did succeed in getting his hands on Castile.

I do agree that Isabella was the much stronger monarch of the two, however and the real driving force behind the Spanish age of glory that followed.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #713
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Come on, 10 more picks. Come back to me baby!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #714
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Spain wasn't actually united. Castile and Aragon were still separate kingdoms, a fact which pissed Ferdinand off to no end, because he never did succeed in getting his hands on Castile.

I do agree that Isabella was the much stronger monarch of the two, however and the real driving force behind the Spanish age of glory that followed.
I understand it was this technicality which allowed her to rule, however, the country was, for practical reasons, united under their rule even if it was formally so.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #715
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
Izulde's Pick:

6.5 King Louis XIV of France - Ruler/Diplomat (1600s)

Solidified the power of the monarchy in France and created a strong centralized government in a nation that had previously been prone to intrigues, plotting by the Dukes and other high-ranking officials, some very high ranking.

Called the Sun King, his court was a magnificient and splendid one, in keeping with the growing majesty of France as during Louis's reign, the dominant power in Europe shifted from Spain to France as a result of the Thirty Years' War and a subsequent war against the Spanish that saw the French take significant territory from the Spanish.

He was also a great patron of the arts, much as Catherine the Great was, and one of the most notable periods of the rich French literary tradition occurred during his rule.

Legal and economic reforms, some carried out by Louis himself, others by his wisely chosen officials, led to greater prosperity for France and the Code Louis was to have a direct influence on the later, more famous Napoleonic Code.

French colonization also skyrocketed during the 1600s as England and France replaced Spain and Portugal as the dominant colonial powers.

Louis XIV's influence was so great that other monarchs began patterning themselves and their courts after him and his palace of Versailles, with its famed Hall of Mirrors, was one of the most highly regarded estates in all of Europe, the court culture, as previously noted, of such acclaim that others copied it.

I think Louis XIV would have been a very strong pick for the military/ruler category. As a diplomat/ruler I am not so sure.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he say "I am the state."? Also isn't he the European ruler most strongly associated with absolute monarchy? Also, since I was unsure I looked up how many years he was at war during his rule. To be as fair to Louis as possible, I didn't include his years of reign when Mazarin was calling the shots.

However, in the 54 years he ruled alone, he was at war for approximately 29 of them. On his deathbed he famously warned his heir not to imitate his love of buildings or his liking for war.

According to Philippe de Courcillon, marquis de Dangeau in his memoirs Louis said,"Do not follow the bad example which I have set you; I have often undertaken war too lightly and have sustained it for vanity. Do not imitate me, but be a peaceful prince, and may you apply yourself principally to the alleviation of the burdens of your subjects".

Again, I would have taken this as a military pick, but I can see how you could stretch it to fit this category.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #716
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
I think Louis XIV would have been a very strong pick for the military/ruler category. As a diplomat/ruler I am not so sure.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he say "I am the state."? Also isn't he the European ruler most strongly associated with absolute monarchy? Also, since I was unsure I looked up how many years he was at war during his rule. To be as fair to Louis as possible, I didn't include his years of reign when Mazarin was calling the shots.

However, in the 54 years he ruled alone, he was at war for approximately 29 of them. On his deathbed he famously warned his heir not to imitate his love of buildings or his liking for war.

According to Philippe de Courcillon, marquis de Dangeau in his memoirs Louis said,"Do not follow the bad example which I have set you; I have often undertaken war too lightly and have sustained it for vanity. Do not imitate me, but be a peaceful prince, and may you apply yourself principally to the alleviation of the burdens of your subjects".

Again, I would have taken this as a military pick, but I can see how you could stretch it to fit this category.

I was looking more at his creation of a very strong centralization of the monarchy, his skillful manipulation of court and courtiers, his construction of Versailles and other works, his patronage of the arts, and the influence of his court's culture on the other courts of Europe and so on.

I think he's strongest overall in this category, but I see what you're saying.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #717
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
I was looking more at his creation of a very strong centralization of the monarchy, his skillful manipulation of court and courtiers, his construction of Versailles and other works, his patronage of the arts, and the influence of his court's culture on the other courts of Europe and so on.

I think he's strongest overall in this category, but I see what you're saying.

This minor disagreement is a mere trifle compared to the titanic struggle going on in Chicago. One down two to go!

Best of luck with your finals picks.

Go White Sox!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #718
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
This minor disagreement is a mere trifle compared to the titanic struggle going on in Chicago. One down two to go!

Best of luck with your finals picks.

Go White Sox!

Indeed. You as well!

Buddy of mine whose a Cubs fan called me to congratulate on today's win and specifically mentioned Swisher's grand slam, probably cuz Swish is my second fave player on the team next to Jenks.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #719
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Indeed. You as well!

Buddy of mine whose a Cubs fan called me to congratulate on today's win and specifically mentioned Swisher's grand slam, probably cuz Swish is my second fave player on the team next to Jenks.

I can't resist the opportunity to turn this into a White Sox thread

How in the world did Swisher turn into one of your favorite players? The team just got him. He is finally starting to heat up, but boy did he get off to a rough start.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #720
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I can't resist the opportunity to turn this into a White Sox thread

How in the world did Swisher turn into one of your favorite players? The team just got him. He is finally starting to heat up, but boy did he get off to a rough start.

I liked watching him play for the Athletics in a couple games and got the impression he was a really good player.

I love his plate patience and he just seems like a great player to have in the lineup. Not sure about his defense, though.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #721
spleen1015
Coordinator

11.2 - King James I of England - Religious (1600s)

The man responsible for the King James version of the Bible. I don't think there is a more widely used version of the Bible.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #722
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I'll have my pick here in a a few minutes. I just need to do a write up.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #723
Racer
College Benchwarmer

11.3 Suleiman the Magnificent (Renaissance) – military leader

Suleiman the Magnificent ruled Ottoman empire from 1520-1566. Known for his military expertise, the Ottoman empire greatly under his reign. He didn't just sit on the side and watch either. He would accompany his men into battle. He conquered Belgrade, Rhodes, most of Hungary, and also was able to annex most of the Middle East while he ruled. His likeness was also represented in the recent Civilization IV expansion pack "Beyond the Sword" as a leader for the Ottoman empire.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #724
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
11.2 - King James I of England - Religious (1600s)

The man responsible for the King James version of the Bible. I don't think there is a more widely used version of the Bible.

I was going to chose him for scribe but decided against it.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #725
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

11.4 Hatshepsut (Ancient Times)-Woman
One of the most powerful women in history and the only woman to be taken in this draft for the Ancient Times range. She showed the world that a woman could rule just as well as a man.

In all, Hatshepsut accomplished what no woman had before her. She ruled the most powerful, advanced civilization in the world, successfully, for twenty years.

She is generally regarded by Egyptologists as one of the most successful pharaohs in the history of Egypt.

She ruled during the New Kingdom from around 1479 BC-1458 BC. Hatshepsut's reign was long and prosperous. She was successful in warfare early in her reign, but is generally considered to be a pharaoh who inaugurated a long peaceful era. She re-established trading relationships lost during a foreign occupation and brought great wealth to Egypt. That wealth enabled Hatshepsut to initiate building projects that raised the caliber of Ancient Egyptian architecture to a standard, comparable to classical architecture, that would not be rivaled by any other culture for a thousand years.

Interestingly, in most if not all portraits and sculptures of her at the time show her with a beard because she wanted to portray herself as being just as tough and powerful as any other pharaoh.

Her death is still a mystery. It has not been proven, but there is a possibility that her stepson Thutmose III killed her because he was upset that she had taken her job as regent too far. She was only supposed to rule for Thutmose until he was old enough to rule on his own. It took him over 20 years, but he finally got his wish of Hatshepsut's death.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #726
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
11.4 Hatshepsut (Ancient Times)-Woman
One of the most powerful women in history and the only woman to be taken in this draft for the Ancient Times range. She showed the world that a woman could rule just as well as a man.

In all, Hatshepsut accomplished what no woman had before her. She ruled the most powerful, advanced civilization in the world, successfully, for twenty years.

She is generally regarded by Egyptologists as one of the most successful pharaohs in the history of Egypt.

She ruled during the New Kingdom from around 1479 BC-1458 BC. Hatshepsut's reign was long and prosperous. She was successful in warfare early in her reign, but is generally considered to be a pharaoh who inaugurated a long peaceful era. She re-established trading relationships lost during a foreign occupation and brought great wealth to Egypt. That wealth enabled Hatshepsut to initiate building projects that raised the caliber of Ancient Egyptian architecture to a standard, comparable to classical architecture, that would not be rivaled by any other culture for a thousand years.

Interestingly, in most if not all portraits and sculptures of her at the time show her with a beard because she wanted to portray herself as being just as tough and powerful as any other pharaoh.

Her death is still a mystery. It has not been proven, but there is a possibility that her stepson Thutmose III killed her because he was upset that she had taken her job as regent too far. She was only supposed to rule for Thutmose until he was old enough to rule on his own. It took him over 20 years, but he finally got his wish of Hatshepsut's death.

Great pick. She was my ancient times backup for Homer.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #727
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I was going to chose him for scribe but decided against it.
I think he's a weak choice as a scribe good choice as a religious figure. In other words good decisions all around.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #728
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Reserved For Official Draft Board

ROUND ONE

1. Barkeep-- Jesus of Nazareth - Religious Figure (Classical Age)
2. spleen-- Alexander the Great - Military Leader (Classical Age)
3. Racer-- Muhammad - Religious Figure (Middle Ages)
4. LWSFS-- William Shakespeare - Scribe (1600s)
5. Render-- Leonardo Da Vinci - Intellectual (Renaissance)
6. AENeuman-- St. Nicholas - Cultural Icon (Classical Age)
7. Buccaneer-- Albert Einstein - Intellectual (Pre-WWII 20th century)
8. Izulde-- Adolf Hitler - Evil Historical Person (WWII - 1950s)
9. Danny-- Augustus Caesar - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (Classical Age)
10. ColtCrazy-- Benjamin Franklin - Intellectual (1700s)
11. larrymcg-- Isaac Newton - Intellectual (1600s)
12. Noop-- Siddhārtha Gautama aka Buddha - Religious Figure (Classical Age)

ROUND TWO

1. Noop-- Imhotep - Intellectual (Ancient Times)
2. larrymcg-- Abraham Lincoln - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (1800s)
3. ColtCrazy-- Mahatma Gandhi - Good Historical Person (Pre-WWII 20th century)
4. Danny-- George Washington- Good Historical Person (1700's)
5. Izulde-- Catherine the Great - Woman (1700s)
6. Buccaneer-- Michael Jordan - Sportsman (1980-1999)
7. AENEuman-- Queen Elizabeth - Woman (Renaissance)
8. Render-- Mother Theresa - Good Historical Person (1960-1979)
9. LWSFS-- Michelangelo - Artist (Renaissance)
10. Racer-- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Musician (1700’s)
11. spleen-- Walt Disney - Cultural Icon (Pre-WWII 20th century)
12. Barkeep-- Hammurabi - Intellectual (Ancient Times)

THIRD ROUND

1. Barkeep-- Ghenghis Khan - Millitary Leader (Middle Ages)
2. spleen-- Tutankhamun - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (Ancient Times)
3. Racer-- Homer (Ancient Times) - Scribe
4. LWSFS-- Julius Caesar - Military Leader (Classical Age)
5. Render-- Abraham - Religious Figure (Ancient Times)
6. AENeuman-- Moses - Religious Figure (Ancient Times)
7. Buccaneer-- Napoleon Bonaparte - Military Leader (1800s)
8. Izulde-- Martin Luther King, Jr. - Good Historical Person (1960s-1970s)
9. Danny-- Oprah Winfrey - Cultural Icon (2000s-Present Day)
10. ColtCrazy-- Rameses II - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (Ancient Times)
11. larrymcg-- Joan of Arc - Woman (Renaissance)
12. Noop-- Joseph Stalin - Evil Historical Person (WWII-1950s)

FOURTH ROUND

1. Noop-- Saladin - Military Leader (Middle Ages)
2. larrymcg-- Hannibal - Military Leader (Classical Age)
3. ColtCrazy-- Charlemagne - Military Leader (Middle Ages)
4. Danny-- Ludwig van Beethoven - Musical (1800's)
5. Izulde-- Babe Ruth - Sportsman (Pre-WWII 20th century)
6. Buccaneer-- Cleopatra - Woman (Classical Age)
7. AENEuman-- Barry Bonds - Sportsman (2000s-Present Day)
8. Render-- Aristotle - Scribe (Classical Age)
9. LWSFS-- Elvis Presley - Musician (1960'-1970's)
10. Racer-- Pablo Picasso - Artist (Pre-WWII 20th century)
11. spleen-- Lisa del Giocondo - Woman (Renaissance)
12. Barkeep-- Theodore Roosevelt - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (Pre-WWII 20th century)

FIFTH ROUND

1. Barkeep-- Nelson Mandela - Good Historical Person (1980's-1990's)
2. spleen-- Jack the Ripper - Evil Historical Person (1800s)
3. Racer-- Harriet Tubman - Good Historical Person (1800s)
4. LWSFS-- Josef Mengele - Evil Historical Person (WWII-1950's)
5. Render-- Diana, Princess of Wales - Woman (1980's-1990's)
6. AENeuman-- "Duke" Ellington - Musician (WWII-1950's)
7. Buccaneer-- John Lennon - Musician (1960's-1970's)
8. Izulde-- King Arthur - Cultural Icon (Middle Ages)
9. Danny-- Muhammad Ali - Sportsman (1960's-1970's)
10. ColtCrazy-- J.K. Rowling - Woman (2000's-Present Day)
11. larrymcg-- Charles Manson, Evil Historical Person (1960's-1970's)
12. Noop-- Thomas Jefferson - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (1700's)

SIXTH ROUND

1. Noop-- Marilyn Monroe - Woman (1960's-1970's)
2. larrymcg-- Tiger Woods - Sportsman (2000-Present Day)
3. ColtCrazy-- Judas Iscariot - Evil Historical Person (Classical Age)
4. Danny-- George S. Patton - Military Leader (WWII-1950's)
5. Izulde-- King Louis XIV of France - Ruler/Diplomat (1600's)
6. Buccaneer-- Blackbeard (Edward Teach) - Evil Historical Person (1700's)
7. AENeuman-- St. Francis Assissi - Good Historical Person (Middle Ages)
8. Render-- Bill Gates - Cultural Icon (2000-Present Day)
9. LWSFS-- Robin Hood - Cultural Icon (Middle Ages)
10. Racer-- Galileo Galilei – Intellectual (1600's)
11. spleen-- Geoffrey Chaucer - Scribe (Middle Ages)
12. Barkeep-- Mark Twain - Scribe (1800s)

ROUND SEVEN

1. Barkeep-- Pol Pot - Evil Historical Person (1960's & 1970's)
2. spleen-- Stephen Hawking - Intellectual (1980s-1990s)
3. Racer-- Pelé - Sportsman (1960's-1970's)
4. LWSFS-- Dalai Lama - Religious Figure (2000's-Present Day)
5. Render-- Oliver Cromwell - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (1600's)
6. AENeuman-- Robert E. Lee - Military Leader (1800's)
7. Buccaneer-- Ansel Adams - Artist (WWII-Present Day)
8. Izulde-- Vincent Van Gogh - Artist (1800s)
9. Danny-- Rembrandt - Artist (1600's)
10. ColtCrazy-- Martin Luther - Religious Figure (Renaissance)
11. larrymcg-- Johann Sebastian Bach - Musician (1700's)
12. Noop-- Hugh Hefner - Cultural Icon (2000s-Present Day)

ROUND EIGHT

1. Noop-- Joe Louis - Sportsman (1980's-1990's)
2. larrymcg-- Gilgamesh - Cultural Icon (Ancient Times)
3. ColtCrazy-- Charles Dickens - Scribe (1800's)
4. Danny-- Nikola Tesla- Intellectual (Pre-WWII 20th century)
5. Izulde-- Confucius - Intellectual (Classical Age)
6. Buccaneer-- King David of Israel - Cultural Icon (Ancient Age)
7. AENeuman-- Frank Lloyd Wright - Artist (Pre-WWII 20th century)
8. Render-- Frank Sinatra - Musician (WWII-1950's)
9. LWSFS-- Jessie Owens - Sportsman (Pre-WWII 20th century)
10. Racer-- Franklin D Roosevelt - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (WWII-1950's)
11. spleen-- Michael Jackson - Musician (1960's-1970's)
12. Barkeep-- Salvador Dali - Artist (WWII-1950's)

ROUND NINE

1. Barkeep-- Paul Revere - Cultural Icon (1700s)
2. spleen-- Lance Armstrong - Sportsman (2000-Present Day)
3. Racer-- Osama Bin Ladin – Historical Evil Person (2000-Present)
4. LWSFS-- Charles Darwin - Intellectual (1800's)
5. Render-- Ty Cobb - Sportsman (Pre-WWII 20th century)
6. AENeuman-- Mao Ze-Dong - Evil Historical Person (1960's-1970's)
7. Buccaneer-- King Henry VIII of England - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (1400's/1500's)
8. Izulde-- Zoroaster - Religious Figure (Ancient Times)
9. Danny-- Stephen King - Scribe (1980's-1990's)
10. ColtCrazy-- Jackie Robinson - Sportsman (WWII-1950's)
11. larrymcg-- St. Thomas Aquinas - Religious Figure (Middle Ages)
12. Noop-- Winston Churchill - Good Historical Person (Pre-WWII 20th century)

ROUND TEN

1. Noop-- Niccolò Machiavelli - Scribe (Renaissance)
2. larrymcg-- Oskar Schindler - Good Historical Person (WWII-1950's)
3. ColtCrazy-- Jimi Hendrix - Cultural Icon (1960's-1970's)
4. Danny-- Vlad the Impaler - Evil Historical Person (Renaissance)
5. Izulde-- Nobuo Uematsu - Musician (1980's-1990's)
6. Buccaneer-- John Winthrop - Religious Figure (1600's)
7. AENeuman-- Miguel de Cervantes - Scribe (1600's)
8. Render-- Maximilian Robespierre - Evil Historical Person (1700's)
9. LWSFS-- Ronald Reagan - Ruler/Diplomatic Leader (1980's 1990's)
10. Racer-- Jim Henson - Cultural Icon (1980s-1990s)
11. spleen-- Norman Rockwell - Artist (WWII-1950's)
12. Barkeep-- Queen Isabella of Spain - Woman (Renaissance)

ROUND ELEVEN

1. Barkeep-- Antonio Vivaldi - Musician (1600's)
2. spleen-- King James I of England - Religious Figure (1600's)
3. Racer-- Suleiman the Magnificent - Military Leader (Renaissance)
4. LWSFS-- Hatshepsut - Woman (Ancient Times)
5. Render-- CURRENTLY DRAFTING

Doing great guys. Not sure what the weekend will do to this, but hopefully everyone gets a chance to check in on Saturday, and we can wrap this one up.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #729
RendeR
Coordinator

Sorry guys, Was winging and dining Telle tonight. Grandma's got the kids for a change =)

11.5 William I of England, Military Leader, Middle Ages

One of only 2 Military commanders to lead a successful invasion of England from abroad(the other being Caesar). Also the last, no Enemy of England has done so since William the Conquorer's Norman forces invaded lower England, defeated the anglo Saxon's in power at the time at the Battle of hastings and held off the subsequent revolts from approximately 1066 until his death in 1087.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #730
Danny
Head Coach

Winging? Next time plan ahead
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #731
Danny
Head Coach

He's a good choice btw, was on my list after Patton.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:17 AM   #732
Danny
Head Coach

Hopefully we can finish this up. At this point no one is eligible to take the two people I am going to pick in round 11 and 12, so I will send in my list to Chief and Olie. Feel free to use this list right away if you guys are on if. my pick comes up.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #733
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Hopefully we can finish this up. At this point no one is eligible to take the two people I am going to pick in round 11 and 12, so I will send in my list to Chief and Olie. Feel free to use this list right away if you guys are on if. my pick comes up.

No one is eligible to take the person I am picking in the 12th round either.

Last edited by Racer : 06-28-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #734
Buccaneer
Head Coach

AENeuman is currently on a plane flying into Colorado. I'll be picking him up around noon and then we'll work on making our picks. Sorry for the delay.

But since I follow him and he has already picked 2000s, I'll go ahead with my pick:

11.7 Al Gore - 2000s (Good) - Nobel Peace Prize winner and most famous environmental activist to promoto change.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #735
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I have to threadjack here, because I keep hearing this local radio bit playing over and over in my head.

One of the local newpaper writers tells a story from the 1982 NFL draft, when it was not always held in NY. It was in Philly in 1982.

He says it was in like the 11th round or so, and a group of guys covering the draft for their respective papers decide to hold their own draft, which will include anyone from history. They have to stand up at their own homemade podium and announce their picks.

So since it is in Philly, the wrtier from Philly gets the first pick.

Philadelphia Eagles select, from Univ of Penn, left tackle, Ben Franklin.
"Big guy, quick, and you can build a nation around him" the scouting report reads.

Next up is Baltimore (or insert some city, I can't remember the specifics).
Baltimore is proud to select, LB, Mongolia State, Ghengis Khan.

I know I am forgetting some of the "scouting reports" and selections...haven't heard the bit in awhile. DE Attila the Hun is selected in their somewhere.

Gets to about the 6th pick, and the Steelers are on the clock.
The writer (Gene Collier) is ecstatic.

The Steelers pick, with the 6th pick, QB from Nazareth Univ, Jesus.
"The kid is a miracle worker. He can literally walk on water"
Collier says "we are really happy he was still on the board at our pick"

After that, they decide no one can out do choosing Jesus and the draft ends.

Wish I could find a clip of this somewhere to post.

ETA-- not THE story I was looking for, but based off the original-
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/o...mock0426p5.asp

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-28-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #736
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

a bigger surprise pick would be the Chicago Bears picking any quaterback real or mythological who could throw a completion...
Old 06-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #737
Buccaneer
Head Coach

AENeuman's pick

11.6 George Lucas - 1980s/1990s (Intellectual)

Lucasfilms, Lucasarts, Pixar, THX, Skywalkersound, ILM, some space cowboy stuff...

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #738
RendeR
Coordinator

Hrm, gotta say that one seems like the first true "flop" pick of the draft. I could see Lucas as a Cultural Icon or even an Artist, but as an intellectual?

Might work for the judges, but for me it seems like a real reach.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #739
Izulde
Head Coach

Making pick now.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #740
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Hrm, gotta say that one seems like the first true "flop" pick of the draft. I could see Lucas as a Cultural Icon or even an Artist, but as an intellectual?

Might work for the judges, but for me it seems like a real reach.

Considering the last draft had a flop at 1(1), I don't think this is so bad.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #741
Izulde
Head Coach

1. Mehmet the Conqueror - Military Leader (Renaissance)

1453. A date that virtually every student is required to know, for that is the year in which Constantinople fell and the final death knell of the last vestiges of the Byzantine Empire, and with it, the final strands of the Roman Empire, sounded.

The man responsible for it? A 21 year old by the name of Mehmet II, who would go on to be known as Mehmet the Conqueror. He, like his sobriquet implies, was a fantastic military leader, not only destroying the Byzantine Empire by capturing Constantinople, but took most of Anatolia and significant territory in Asia and added most of Serbia to the Ottoman Empire.

He restored and expanded the Ottoman Empire's territory and powerbase greatly, to such degree that Suleyman would not have been to do the things he did without the groundwork Mehmet the Conqueror laid.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #742
Danny
Head Coach

11.9 Umar ibn al-Khattab (Omar the Great)- Religion, Middle Ages

Other than Muhammed, no person has had a bigger impact on the spread of Islam. As Caliph and companion to Muhammed, Omar was responsible for taking Mesopotamia and parts of Persia from the Sassanids (effectively ending that empire), and taking Egypt, Palestine, Syria, North Africa and Armenia from the Byzantines. He was also responsible for the treaty of Umar, which established peace with the Christian churches and Muslim empire. This treaty and his religious conquests of the non Christian territories is hugely responsible for not only the Islamic, but the Christian empires we have today.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:44 PM   #743
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My pick in a moment...
Old 06-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #744
ColtCrazy
College Starter

11.10 Kurt Cobain - Musician - 1980s/90s

Cobain's influence on the "grunge" scene spawned an entire alternative music movement in the early 90s.

Last edited by ColtCrazy : 06-28-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #745
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
11.10 Kurt Cobain - Musician - 1980s/90s

Cobain's influence on the "grunge" scene spawned an entire alternative music movement in the early 90s.

Excellent pick and one I would've made instead of Uematsu if I didn't have such an intense hatred of that tool and his clones.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #746
larrymcg421
Head Coach

11.11 - Ernest Hemingway, Scribe, Pre-WW2

Old 06-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #747
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Thanks Izulde! He wasn't really on my radar initially until I had made 3 or 4 picks and planned out what eras I needed. Cobain's influence in music, especially the music I listened to in the 90s, is pretty strong. I choose him over someone else from this era, known more for their soundtracks.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #748
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Thanks Izulde! He wasn't really on my radar initially until I had made 3 or 4 picks and planned out what eras I needed. Cobain's influence in music, especially the music I listened to in the 90s, is pretty strong. I choose him over someone else from this era, known more for their soundtracks.

I'm not sure if anyone else has that category/era combo left, but that's a pretty big hint if they do.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #749
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

11.12 - Frédéric Chopin, Musician, 1800s
Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #750
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan