Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #702
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Because they're not?????????

So what.

When you got to buy a car, you don't tell the seller, "dude, I HAVE to buy this car. I need a car TODAY, because I need to get to work".

You tell him you're OK with your current car but you're looking around.

It's like the Red Sox and the Manny trade. Theo makes it clear to the media that they want him out. What the hell's the point of that? Why will teams be willing to give up anything substantial when they know you HAVE to make a deal?

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2008 at 10:24 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #703
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

As long as there are more than 1 interested party to do a trade, doesn't matter much especially when both teams are not the preferred destination if he is released. So, if Tampa or the Jets really want him, they still have to bid against each other knowing that if he is released he will go to Minnesota. Granted if the Jets back out then they will get much less in the way of any draft picks, but more than if they just release him.

Plus, even if there was an airtight media lockdown of information, if they call Favre and he says there is no way in hell he is playing for the Packers, it has the same affect.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #704
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So what.

When you got to buy a car, you don't tell the seller, "dude, I HAVE to buy this car. I need a car TODAY, because I need to get to work".

It's like the Red Sox and the Manny trade. Theo makes it clear to the media that they want him out. What the hell's the point of that? Why will teams be willing to give up anything substantial when they know you HAVE to make a deal?

Yeah and if I KNOW you're full of shit I'll go buy my car elsewhere.

How many times have the Packers said they don't want to trade Favre to a division rival?

Being honest and upfront with people doesn't mean sacrificing value or getting ripped off.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #705
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
So what.

Favre nor the Packers would not be fooling anyone if they tried. That is why they are at the point they are now. The Vikings have already proclaimed themselves as not being interested. The Packers have said they are not trading him to the Vikings. To use your analogy, the Packers and Favre are pushing a totaled car into the dealership and trying to make the best deal possible.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-06-2008 at 10:45 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #706
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Favre nor the Packers would not be fooling anyone if they tried. That is why they are at the point they are now. The Vikings have already proclaimed themselves as not being interested. The Packers have said they are not trading him to the Vikings. To use your analogy, the Packers and Favre are pushing a totaled car into the dealership and trying to make the best deal possible.

I hadn't heard the Vikings "proclaim themselves at not interested", but that makes sense if they did.

But why proclaim an "open QB competition" on Monday, and then state that "Rodgers is our QB" on Tuesday? Why not keep up the pretense that you COULD keep Favre around? The Packers are a mess.

If the Buccs are so sure that the Packers are full of shit (about the possibility of him staying in GB, and that the Jets are actually a possibility), why not just wait until they release him? Sure, maybe they want to get him into camp quicker, but the Packers don't want to wait that long either.

If the Buccs were offering anything of value Favre would be there by now. They know they don't have to give up anything.

The Packers were in a tough situation, sure, but they have no strategy, are constantly contradicting themselves, and are going to be the losers when this is all over, when it didn't have to be that way. Favre under contract is an asset over no Favre under contract. The Packers haven't figured out how to make this anything other than a huge detriment.

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #707
MikeVic
Head Coach

If the Bucs waited until Favre is released, Favre would not be a Bucc (he'd go to the Vikings or Bears). So they have to at least offer enough to make the Packers want to trade him there.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #708
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I hadn't heard the Vikings "proclaim themselves at not interested", but that makes sense if they did.

But why proclaim an "open QB competition" on Monday, and then state that "Rodgers is our QB" on Tuesday? Why not keep up the pretense that you COULD keep Favre around? The Packers are a mess.

The Buccs are so sure that the Packers are full of shit, why not just wait until they release him? Sure, maybe they want to get him into camp quicker, but the Packers don't want to wait that long either.

If the Buccs were offering anything of value Favre would be there by now. They know they don't have to give up anything.

The one statement that I agreed wholeheartedly with Mike McCarthy in his press conference yesterday was that he is no longer doing the public relations thing. The Packers and Favre have shown they both suck at it. Did you believe that there was going to be a "open competition"? Brett Favre competing for the QB job in Green Bay? Neither does anyone else. All the proclamations from both sides of peace and love were attempted smoke screens. They did not work. Now the serious talks on a deal with teams can be hammered out. All sides need this to happen. The Bucs need to get Brett in camp quickly. The Packers need to get rid of him. Finally, remember Brett WANTS to play and be successful. The sooner he gets to wherever he ends up, the better for him.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #709
molson
General Manager

The Packers would have done well if they just decided what they wanted to do from the beginning. They're as wishy-washy as Favre.

Really any of these decisions, if made a month ago, would put the Packers in a better spot than they are now:

1. Announce that Favre is the starter. (Can probably get trade value for Rodgers if he's beyond pissed off).
2. Announce that Rodgers is the starter, and that Favre can come to camp and compete for the backup spot.
3. Announce an "open competition" for the job
(I realize that I'm the only one that thinks that 2 & 3 wouldn't have been ridiculous. Like I said earlier, many QBs have lost jobs to younger QBs and ended their careers as backups. Even HOF QBs. I LIKE the fact that fans would be chanting for Favre to come in the game, and I'd be happy to have that option if Rodgers sucks. And if Rodgers outplays Favre, great)
4. Trade him to the AFC team who makes the best offer. (If Favre blocks detail, resort to #2 or #3).
5. Trade him to the best NFC non-division team that makes the best offer
6. Trade him to the team that makes the best offer.
7. Release him.

In a situation like this, being decisive is so important. The media feeds on indecisiveness and chaos.

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #710
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The problem is:

They tried #2 and Favre grumped
They tried #4 & #5 and Favre REFUSED to talk to the Jets and Bucs

Favre has finally relented on talking to a non-NFC North team, and now there is movement.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #711
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The problem is:

They tried #2 and Favre grumped
They tried #4 & #5 and Favre REFUSED to talk to the Jets and Bucs

Favre has finally relented on talking to a non-NFC North team, and now there is movement.

Agreed, but that's how the Packers smurfed this up, they caved on everything.

They didn't really mean #2, they just hoped that it would keep Favre retired. They could have just decided on #2, and fined him if he reinstated and didn't show up.

They didn't really mean #4. Not if he ends up with the Buccs.

They MIGHT really mean #5, we don't know yet. But they didn't decide this until this all got completely out of hand.

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #712
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Kinda hard to trade him when he says he doesn't want to go anywhere else other than Green Bay or Minnesota and Favre has the ability to block trades it kind of hinders you. Not sure how you could say they didn't mean #4. If the Jets are offering a 1st and Tampa a 3rd and Favre refuses to go to the Jets, how is that their fault? They have had a list of things that was their preference. Favre retiring was at the top and releasing at the bottom.

If Favre himself said fine to TB or the Jets a month ago, we wouldn't be in this position so, to say that the Packers have sole ownership in screwing this up isn't completely accurate.
They said they wouldn't trade him in the division nor would they release him. They never moved from that point. (Sure, they contacted the Vikings supposedly, but like I said before, that is just doing your homework). To date they have held fast on alot of items.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 08-06-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #713
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
In a situation like this, being decisive is so important. The media feeds on indecisiveness and chaos.

And NO ONE in recent sports history has been more indecisive than Brett Favre. Again, this mess is Favre's making, not the Packers.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #714
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, some things I have not seen mentioned here that may clear up a couple things for some guys.....

1) Brett Favre is now on the Non-football Injury List. This means the Packers do NOT have to pay him. His salary counts towards the cap, but they don't actually hand the money to him. The Packers can keep him there from what I understand, and trade him whenever they want. They told him flat out he is not going to a North team, so that is why he is now willing to talk with other teams. Advantage: Packers

2) McCarthy and the Packers did mean they would have an open competition, it wasn't BS like some people are acting like. Favre came in and from what McCarthy said it sounds like Favre couldn't get past the last month or so of crap going on (I say he hates Thompson basically, and not real thrilled with McCarthy). Because of this they never even talked about a QB competition because McCarthy felt Favre was too pissed to let go of the last month and be a positive part of the team. Makes sense to me to call the whole thing off if that was going to happen.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #715
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure this was mentioned but I heard this on a local ESPN station here. June 1st the Packers called Favre and asked him if he was still staying retired. Farve said yes he was done playing football. The Packers said they just wanted to make sure so that they can go on with Aaron Rodgers as their QB.

3 weeks later Farve changed his mind.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #716
MikeVic
Head Coach

Douuuuuche.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #717
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

So what happens if he does by chance become a NY Jet? Do they release or trade Pennington? Clemens has not proven to be a reliable option. I am assuming that if Favre does play this year, it will only be for this year and then he will retire again.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #718
Brownkeg8
Mascot

I've been thinking how funny if this all came full circle. This rarely happens, but wouldnt it be great if Tampa Bay or the Jets acquired Favre & then took a better offer from the Bears or Vikings. The Packers would take the cap hit & I truly believe the Vikings would give up a very good package if he was available.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #719
Jas_lov
College Starter

They would have to get rid of Pennington for cap reasons.

I just looked at the Jets schedule and it's pretty easy. 2 games vs the Patriots and 1 against the Chargers, but other than that it's not too bad. With Favre they have a good shot at one of the wildcards. But is it worth it for them to give up a high draft pick for 1 year of Favre?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #720
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
I've been thinking how funny if this all came full circle. This rarely happens, but wouldnt it be great if Tampa Bay or the Jets acquired Favre & then took a better offer from the Bears or Vikings. The Packers would take the cap hit & I truly believe the Vikings would give up a very good package if he was available.

From what I understand it is possible (although this has not been confirmed as permissible by the commissioner's office) for the Packers to insert conditional language into the trade that would dramatically increase their compensation if Favre is subsequently traded by whoever lands him.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #721
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
They would have to get rid of Pennington for cap reasons.

I just looked at the Jets schedule and it's pretty easy. 2 games vs the Patriots and 1 against the Chargers, but other than that it's not too bad. With Favre they have a good shot at one of the wildcards. But is it worth it for them to give up a high draft pick for 1 year of Favre?

As a Packer fan, yes it is. As a Jets fan? I have no idea.

I say the Jets go for it.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #722
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

As a Jet fan, I just have no idea. It would fill a need, but it would probably mean the end of the Pennington era with the Jets. The more I write, the more I am liking the idea of this trade. It would also give Clemens another year to sit down and figure out if he any ability.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #723
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'd love to see him go to the Jets. I mean, why not? But to want to go to a rival team is just unrealistic.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #724
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
As a Jet fan, I just have no idea. It would fill a need, but it would probably mean the end of the Pennington era with the Jets. The more I write, the more I am liking the idea of this trade. It would also give Clemens another year to sit down and figure out if he any ability.

So...

...you really think you would be missing much there?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #725
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So...

...you really think you would be missing much there?

Yeah, as soon as I typed it out, I realized that it wasn't such a bad idea
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #726
miami_fan
Coordinator

All the questions about GB not wanting can be debated forever and you can at least see both sides of the equation.

I am listening to the podcast of Mike and Mike from this morning and Jay Glazer just said that the Bears have NO interest in Favre? Let me say that again, the Bears, who have Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton at QB, have no interest at all in Brett Favre.

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-06-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #727
Jas_lov
College Starter

Jets are offering a 4th rounder that would become a 2nd rounder based on performance. The Packers have asked the Bucs for a 3rd rounder that could become a 1st and Brian Griese or another player. I really hope this gets done tomorrow.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 08-06-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #728
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

As a side note, when Ron Wolf was with the Jets, he liked Brett Favre. Unfortunately Atlanta took him ahead of the Jets pick so, they selected Browning Nagle instead.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #729
Jas_lov
College Starter

It was Paolantonio reporting the Jets offered a 4th rounder that could be a 2nd. Peter King reported that the Jets are offering a 3rd rounder that could be a 1st based on Favre's performance.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #730
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Over 8 or 10 starts and playoffs for that team should equal a high pick. Performance adjustable trade is the way to go, I would take either of those deals.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #731
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I guess it's done:

Favre a Jet
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #732
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

FUCKING WOWOWOWOW
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #733
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

DOLA

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #734
spleen1015
Coordinator

Poor, poor Jets fans. Prepare to have a disappointing season. Don't get your hopes up!

Last edited by spleen1015 : 08-06-2008 at 10:59 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #735
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I'm officially rooting for this scenerio, and can't wait to see what headline the NY Post comes up with after his first 4-interception game.

If he goes to the Jets, both Rodgers and the Packers will have a better season than the Favre and the Jets.

Quoting myself here, but ya, this is awesome.

Favre and NYC are a match made in heaven (if you like entertaining chaos).
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 PM   #736
SFL Cat
College Starter

Even with Favre, I don't see the Jets having a serious shot at contending for a title.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #737
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Maybe....it's better than watching Clemens throw INT's or Pennington throw 4 yard passes all game. If he sucks we give up a 3rd rounder. Big whoop.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #738
SFL Cat
College Starter

Dola...course, I said the same thing about the G-Men last season.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #739
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Poor, poor Jets fans. Prepare to have a disappointing season. Don't get your hopes up!

Hopes up? You're talking to Jets fans. At least with Brett it'll be entertaining and the J-E-T-S will be relevant, even if we're just losing colorfully.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #740
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Best wishes, Brett.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #741
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Maybe....it's better than watching Clemens throw INT's

You have seen Favre play right??

Should be interesting. Enjoy.. I have no idea how he will perform.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #742
SFL Cat
College Starter

^^^When Favre presses, he has the tendency to make poor choices and force the ball...and his mechanics have never been great, even in his prime.

I hope he has a good season, but I could also see him throwing tons of picks.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 08-06-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #743
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Meh.

We'll see how well he does now that he's playing in a real conference.

He'll probably fatten the stats vs the lolphins and bills this year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #744
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Quoting myself here, but ya, this is awesome.

Favre and NYC are a match made in heaven (if you like entertaining chaos).

Favre better be on the top of his game and stop being a douche. If not, he'll be eaten alive by the NY media.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #745
SFL Cat
College Starter

The Fins will be much improved.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #746
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Meh.

We'll see how well he does now that he's playing in a real conference.

He'll probably fatten the stats vs the lolphins and bills this year.

Don't underestimate the Bills. They are young, but talented. They almost made the playoffs last year. If Edwards can take the next step, I don't see why they couldn't get in this year.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-06-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #747
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola.

He should have a pretty damn good line to protect him
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #748
Galaxy
Coordinator

I like ESPN's headline: Broadway Brett.

As a Bills fan, I'm rooting for him to fall flat on his face.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #749
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Don't underestimate the Bills. They are young, but talented. They almost made the playoffs last year. If Edwards can take the next step, I don't see why they couldn't get in this year.

I don't think they are eligible for the Grey Cup playoffs
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #750
SFL Cat
College Starter

BTW...haven't been keeping up with it lately, but is the Canadian Gov't still trying to block the Bills from playing in Toronto?