Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #701
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's still available on 2 of the 3 systems, so it's not being dropped. You can still get it if you want it.

I'm not sure anyone knows the exact cost savings that Sony is getting from the dropped BC in the 40 GB box. My guess is that the money they saved would have been better spent by just leaving it in the 40 GB box and avoiding the negative response it's receiving from the hardcore gaming group. They certainly aren't saving anywhere near the $100 that is the price difference between the 40 GB and 60 GB machines.

I don't play BC games much at all, but I'm glad I have the 60 GB machine to give me that option. I honestly think that the 60 GB machine has been the best value from the start and is still the best PS3 machine available if you evaluate both price and value.

According to analysts, the combined Emotion Engine & Graphics Synthesizer chip for BC costs $27. Again, assinine move by Sony.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #702
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New game announcements coming from Capcom.

--Lost Planet in development for PS3.
--Street Fighter 4 currently in development.
--New IP (Dark Void) being developed.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/gam...14115917309058

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163721
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #703
MikeVic
Head Coach

You know, it's funny that with as many Street Fighter releases as there have been... and with it starting so early on the SNES... they're technically only on Street Fighter 4. Giving the franchise so many named (Turbo, Super, Alpha, etc.) really makes it seem like this one should be called Street Figher 20 or something.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #704
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It could be a big month for the 360 going by the Canadian numbers:

(Multiply by 10 to get a decent estimate of USA totals, the two countries share similar tastes although Canada is normally a little more pro-Nintendo and obviously they love hockey games like nowhere else)

Xbox 360 = 51.2K
Nintendo DS = 45K
Wii = 42.9K
PSP = 22K
PS2 = 16.5K
PS3 = 15.6K
GBA = 8.6K

Software:

360 HALO 3 = 187K (135k, 27k, 25k for normal, legendary, collector's editions respectively)
360 NHL 08 = 54.5K
PS2 NHL 08 = 41.7K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE = 25K
PS3 NHL 08 = 20.8K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2 = 20.8K
WII METROID PRIME 3 = 16.4K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR = 15K

Wii sales were up 25% from last month, 360 sales up 92%, PS3 sales up 22% (remember five weeks this month v. four last month)

If you were to apply this increases to US numbers, tomorrow we could see something like this:

360 = 531k
Wii = 505k
PS3 = 160k

Wii and 360 passing the half-million mark in a non-holiday month would be really impressive.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #705
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
"pretty infrequent" my fat, hairy ass.

No pix plz, k, thx

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #706
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The PS3 is a lot like a luxury automobile. The quality is very good, but then you see the price and think, "Do I really want to pay that much for 4 wheels when I could get a Ford or Chevy that could do the same thing for a lot cheaper?"

The 360 is a lot like Kia. It's an affordable machine that has some quality issues, so they resolve that problem by offering a much longer warranty to cover any problems down the road.

Nintendo would end up being the Toyota of the bunch. Reliable car at an affordable price to the masses.
The PS3 is a "luxury automobile" while the 360 is a Kia?

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #707
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

I actually had a smile on my face when I had read that. That's awesome.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #708
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The PS3 is a lot like a luxury automobile. The quality is very good, but then you see the price and think, "Do I really want to pay that much for 4 wheels when I could get a Ford or Chevy that could do the same thing for a lot cheaper?"

The 360 is a lot like Kia. It's an affordable machine that has some quality issues, so they resolve that problem by offering a much longer warranty to cover any problems down the road.

Nintendo would end up being the Toyota of the bunch. Reliable car at an affordable price to the masses.

This is just dumb.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #709
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
No pix plz, k, thx

SI

I have enough trouble taking pictures of something I can properly SEE.

I think you're safe.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #710
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

This is quite possibly the worst post you've made in any of these threads.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 AM   #711
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is quite possibly the worst post you've made in any of these threads.

I have to agree with you, Atocep. I'd compare the PS3 to a luxury van with a working bakery inside. It's nice-- but not what most of the customers want.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #712
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
I have to agree with you, Atocep. I'd compare the PS3 to a luxury van with a working bakery inside. It's nice-- but not what most of the customers want.

My point was that it definitely has some niche features that everyone doesn't want and that is one of their problems until the price comes down.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #713
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

You disagree with my point that the PS3 has stuff that is a niche product or is not wanted by all consumers especially at the high price, while the 360 has some major quality issues? I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that. My automobile comparisons may not be to your liking, but that shouldn't distract from what the situations currently is in the market.

I should mention that my opinion of luxury automobiles may not be the same as yours. They're nice, but I'd never drop a dime on one as they are severely overpriced and not worth it IMO.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-18-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #714
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony cuts price of the 80 GB machine to $499 effective immediately. 40 GB PS3 to be sold for $399 starting Nov. 2nd...........

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aDU0grCHGfa0

Quote:
Oct. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's biggest maker of video-game consoles, cut the U.S. price of a PlayStation 3 model by 17 percent and introduced a less-expensive version to spur holiday sales.

The PlayStation 3 with an 80-gigabyte hard drive was cut to $499 from $599, Jack Tretton, head of Tokyo-based Sony's U.S. video-game unit, said in an interview. The reduced price is effective immediately, Sony said in a statement today. The company also introduced a $399 model with 40 gigabytes of storage that goes on sale Nov. 2.

Sony is taking the steps to narrow the price gap with Nintendo Co.'s Wii and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360. PlayStation 3, which includes a high-definition Blu-ray movie player, is the most expensive game console. Wii sales in the U.S. have more than doubled those of PlayStation 3 since the two machines were introduced last November. Sales also trail Xbox 360, which got a boost this month from the release of the ``Halo 3'' video game.

``Without this, it wasn't looking like there would be much action for PlayStation 3 this holiday,'' Billy Pidgeon, an analyst at research firm IDC in Framingham, Massachusetts, said in an interview. ``This is going to make retailers very happy.''

Lower prices may lift holiday PlayStation 3 sales as much as 50 percent by attracting avid game players and consumers shopping for a high-definition DVD player, said Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles.

Sony shares rose 0.6 percent to 5,430 yen at the close on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The stock climbed 6.5 percent this year, compared with a 0.7 percent decline in the benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average.

The $399 model comes with a Blu-ray DVD of ``Spider-Man,'' highlighting the console's movie-playing abilities.

``Putting a movie inside the box is very smart,'' Pachter said in an interview.

Sony may sell as many as 450,000 PlayStation 3 consoles in November and almost 1 million in December, Pachter said. Consumers have purchased 6.3 million Xbox 360s, introduced a year earlier, according to NPD Group Inc., a Port Washington, New York-based researcher.

Tretton said Sony's holiday marketing will stress the Blu-ray player in addition to game play. He declined to say how much the company will spend.

Sony's American depositary receipts rose 57 cents to $46.60 yesterday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The ADRs, each worth one ordinary share, have gained 8.8 percent this year.

The price cuts follow similar moves in Japan and Europe. Sony said on Oct. 9 it would reduce prices in Japan and begin selling the 40-gigabyte model there on Nov. 11. The model went on sale in Europe Oct. 10.

The cheapest Xbox costs $280. The most expensive model, the Elite, goes for $479. The Wii sells for $249.

Sony may need to cut prices further to come close to matching the more than 120 million PlayStation 2s sold worldwide, Pachter said.

About 90 percent of PS2 consoles were sold after prices fell to $199 or less, Pachter said. The PlayStation 2, priced at about $129, still outsells PlayStation 3. In August, consumers purchased 202,000 of the consoles, compared with 130,600 PlayStation 3s, according to NPD.

Tretton said the older console's popularity is one of Sony's strengths.

``The PlayStation 3 is gravy,'' he said.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 AM   #715
CraigSca
Pro Starter

If we're going to use analogies that irritate, you're going to have to add one thing to your original post. The PS3 is a luxury car, however, it was just announced that the width of the car is too wide for existing roads (no BC) and future roads will be wide enough but not built with any regularity.
how do you know?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #716
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Two more games announced by Capcom............

Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice - New rookie lawyer series with a cameo appearance from Phoenix Wright.

Wii Love Golf - Game much like Hot Shots Golf with motion control swing. Player can twist controller left or right to slice or fade.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #717
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
If we're going to use analogies that irritate, you're going to have to add one thing to your original post. The PS3 is a luxury car, however, it was just announced that the width of the car is too wide for existing roads (no BC) and future roads will be wide enough but not built with any regularity.

You're making it blatently obvious that I should just make my point instead of shooting for comparisons. The branches of this tree could go on forever (and most likely will knowing the characters that haunt this board).
Old 10-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #718
Bee
Pro Starter

Based on sales, The Wii is like a Toyota Camry, the 360 is like a Honda Accord and the PS3 is like the Hyundai Veracruz.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #719
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Based on sales, The Wii is like a Toyota Camry, the 360 is like a Honda Accord and the PS3 is like the Hyundai Veracruz.

The 360 and PS3 sales were identical worldwide after one year on the market, so I'm not sure the Accord comparison is valid. Perhaps the 360 is a Veracruz fully loaded (due to the amount of games available, while the PS3 is a Veracruz with standard options.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #720
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
The 360 and PS3 sales were identical worldwide after one year on the market, so I'm not sure the Accord comparison is valid. Perhaps the 360 is a Veracruz fully loaded (due to the amount of games available, while the PS3 is a Veracruz with standard options.
I dipped out of this thread for awhile, but is this even true? I don't remember the 360 sales being as low in the first year as the PS3 sales are right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #721
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I dipped out of this thread for awhile, but is this even true? I don't remember the 360 sales being as low in the first year as the PS3 sales are right now.

Yes, it is absolutely true. Both the PS3 and the 360 had roughly 5.5M in sales worldwide after one year on the market (Even more interesting is that the Gamecube also had similar numbers after one year). There was just as many complaints about the lack of quality 360 games after 10-12 months as well. Obviously, the 360 saw a tremendous list of quality games come out in its second year and it has improved the image of that console from that standpoint. The PS3 is likely to see a similar boost with all of the major franchises due to be released next year.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #722
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yes, it is absolutely true. Both the PS3 and the 360 had roughly 5.5M in sales worldwide after one year on the market (Even more interesting is that the Gamecube also had similar numbers after one year). There was just as many complaints about the lack of quality 360 games after 10-12 months as well. Obviously, the 360 saw a tremendous list of quality games come out in its second year and it has improved the image of that console from that standpoint. The PS3 is likely to see a similar boost with all of the major franchises due to be released next year.

Although, with the 360 it was the first of it's generation rather than the PS3 which is behind and many people have already made their "next generation" purchase..

*shrug*... I know I LOVE my PS2, but for christmas I'm planning on getting a 360. Sony has given me too many reasons not to buy the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #723
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Although, with the 360 it was the first of it's generation rather than the PS3 which is behind and many people have already made their "next generation" purchase.

But it should also be noted that the 360 was $100-200 lower in price than the PS3 when it was first released, yet they still sold at the same rate over the first year. Now that the price has dropped, it will be interesting to see how the second year booms compare.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #724
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Now that the price has dropped, it will be interesting to see how the second year booms compare.

Quote:
...and many people have already made their "next generation" purchase..

I kind of agree with wade here.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #725
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I kind of agree with wade here.

Same here. Also, If they hadn't neutered the 40 GB version I would have asked the wife for it for Christmas, but 499 for the version that still supports BC is still 100 dollars more than I want to spend on any system and 100 more than I spent on a launch 360. I think some Sony apologists are underestimating how much removing BC will deter the big boom of sales on the 399 model.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #726
Kodos
Resident Alien

Removing BC is like adding the price of a PS2 to the cost, if you don't want to render your games library obsolete.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #727
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Removing BC is like adding the price of a PS2 to the cost, if you don't want to render your games library obsolete.

Disagree with that. There's PS2's everywhere. Most will just keep their PS2 to play the games. I don't disagree that the removal of BC in the 40 GB wasn't a move I would have made, but stating that it will render your library obsolete is being over-dramatic.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #728
Kodos
Resident Alien

If my PS2 breaks, it's not being overdramatic. Then my only remedy is to buy a PS2.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #729
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It's going to be interesting to see how the release of all the major PS3 franchise games next year is going to affect sales. They have been beaten to the punch by the 360 almost every step of the way, and it will take a monumental effort to get the PS3 into competitive shape.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #730
Daimyo
College Starter

$400 PS3 with BC would be tempting... without... blah
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #731
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
It's going to be interesting to see how the release of all the major PS3 franchise games next year is going to affect sales. They have been beaten to the punch by the 360 almost every step of the way, and it will take a monumental effort to get the PS3 into competitive shape.

I do think that Metal Gear, GT5, and Final Fantasy will boost sales quite nicely. Metal Gear and FF have loyal fan bases that are all about gaming. With GT5, I'm not so sure. I don't know much about it, but I know that I stopped playing the series midway through the second game. No damage and the music was making me sleepy.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #732
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
With GT5, I'm not so sure. I don't know much about it, but I know that I stopped playing the series midway through the second game. No damage and the music was making me sleepy.

Agree about the old GT games. I'm glad that they're finally putting damage modelling into this version of the game. It's long overdue.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #733
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If my PS2 breaks, it's not being overdramatic. Then my only remedy is to buy a PS2.

Then you can pick up a 60 GB used system for $450 and split the difference. A used 20 GB system is also still available as an option. You don't have much of a choice if you want to keep playing the PS2 games. A 360 does not have PS1/PS2 BC and has spotty Xbox BC.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #734
MJ4H
Coordinator

that damn ps3 wont play xbox games either. the nerve
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #735
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New info out from Famitsu. Report shows that 7 in 10 Wii owners in Japan are no longer playing their Wii. The delay of Super Smash Bros. Brawl likely won't help any.

http://games.ign.com/articles/827/827313p1.html
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #736
SackAttack
Head Coach

So what about all the 60's still in circulation? We had like 75 of 'em the last I checked at work. We're gonna sell those for the same price as the 80? Hm.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #737
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
that damn ps3 wont play xbox games either. the nerve

Yeah, but the Wii plays Turbo-Grafx!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #738
MJ4H
Coordinator

the wii has perfect backwards compatibility with gamecube.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #739
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
the wii has perfect backwards compatibility with gamecube.

LOL.......somebody got all serious. I'm well aware of the Wii BC function. I own one, though I haven't played it in 3 months.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #740
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Price cuts in Canada for the PS3 announced. 80 GB machine gets a 24% price cut to 499CDN. 40 GB machine has already been announced and will be 399 CDN.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #741
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
A 360 does not have PS1/PS2 BC and has spotty Xbox BC.

Right, and therefore Sony should be taking ADVANTAGE of this, rather than throwing it by the wayside. They have a huge core of PS2 fanboys out there (heck, I was one of them). Make it EASY for them to get a PS3 - you'd have the console wars won before it even started.

I have a dead PS2 sitting around the house. I'd love to have access to the PS2 games for my kids, but I find it hard to justify the $399 or $499 (with so many SKUs, I've completely lost track of how much this dang thing even costs). Strip out BC, and it's a complete lost cause.
how do you know?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #742
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. My PS2 broke this past year, so my new PS2 will probably last for years, but I still want BC in case my PS2 does break sooner than expected and that was a lot of value they took out to save 27 dollars. If they hadn't removed that from the 399 40 GB version, I'd almost certainly have one in the next few months. From reading the message board chatter, it doesn't sound like I'm alone in the view of holding off because of the lack of BC and not wanting to pay 500 for the 80 GB version.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #743
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I have a dead PS2 sitting around the house. I'd love to have access to the PS2 games for my kids, but I find it hard to justify the $399 or $499 (with so many SKUs, I've completely lost track of how much this dang thing even costs). Strip out BC, and it's a complete lost cause.

Not wanting to spend the money is a perfectly legit reason not to buy yet. If you use PS2 games that much, you can get a new one for $99 or a used one for $70. Play that for another year and then revisit when the HD consoles are at a cheaper price point. You wouldn't be the only one doing that.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #744
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Exactly. My PS2 broke this past year, so my new PS2 will probably last for years, but I still want BC in case my PS2 does break sooner than expected and that was a lot of value they took out to save 27 dollars. If they hadn't removed that from the 399 40 GB version, I'd almost certainly have one in the next few months. From reading the message board chatter, it doesn't sound like I'm alone in the view of holding off because of the lack of BC and not wanting to pay 500 for the 80 GB version.

The main thing the BC removal has caused is increased demand for the 60 and 80 GB machines in the short term. Both are selling well in Europe and will likely do the same later this month in Japan and the U.S. Long term, we'll have to see what the new SKU will have built in it that will likely debut late this year or early next year to figure out what Sony will be doing next. Larger or smaller HDD? BC? USB ports available? Who knows.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #745
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
...figure out what Sony will be doing next. Larger or smaller HDD? BC? USB ports available? Who knows.

And that's kind of a problem for me right now. With the 360, I can maybe expect a price cut, or different HDD sizes in the different SKUs. But with the PS3, I have no idea what they'll do for future SKUs, or if they'll change current SKUs, or if they'll drop them all and release another one with completely different options. I'm edging towards buying a 360 (if I do get another console at all), and the PS3 is just making me more uneasy to buy it.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #746
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And that's kind of a problem for me right now. With the 360, I can maybe expect a price cut, or different HDD sizes in the different SKUs. But with the PS3, I have no idea what they'll do for future SKUs, or if they'll change current SKUs, or if they'll drop them all and release another one with completely different options. I'm edging towards buying a 360 (if I do get another console at all), and the PS3 is just making me more uneasy to buy it.

Yeah, I think the days of one console are over, as much as I dislike it. Sony has 1 new model currently going through the FCC. The 360 has two new models currently in development. Reportedly, one of them may have a Wifi built into the system amongst other new features. Purchasers of either system run the risk of missing out on better packages down the road at this point. That's a given.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Wii, which may have a larger storage space built into future models according to recent reports. So they may have two SKU's as well.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-18-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #747
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony enters agreement with Toshiba to manufacture Cell and graphics chips. Should save Sony quite a bit of money........

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29719

Quote:
Sale of chip business to net Sony USD 858 million

Following rumours last month that Sony would sell its processor chip manufacturing facilities to Toshiba, the company has announced that it will enter into a joint venture instead.

The agreement, which should be completed by the end of March according to a report by Bloomberg, will see the transfer of manufacturing facilities to Toshiba, while manufacturing will come under the control of the Sony-Toshiba joint venture.

Sale of the facilities to Toshiba is expected to raise JPY 100 billion (USD 858 million), and the Sony share price had climbed 0.6 per cent by the close of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
The move also follows Sony's announcement earlier in the month about its partnership with Infineon Technologies on the production of DRAM chips.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #748
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Purchasers of either system run the risk of missing out on better packages down the road at this point. That's a given.

Actually, that wasn't the point. Microsoft is ADDING features to its new consoles and getting savings by cost reduction on existing parts. Sony is REMOVING features to reduce cost. Purchasers of a PS3 run the risk of missing out on important features unless they buy right now.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #749
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
LOL.......somebody got all serious. I'm well aware of the Wii BC function. I own one, though I haven't played it in 3 months.

I agree. I haven't played mine except when I have people over for two months.

But you have to remember that people in japan rarely have people over to their places. So it's not surprising that Japanese people have a bigger abandon rate.

But the families in houses will keep the wii going strong.

Also, Nintendo's making money on each one sold-- unlike M$ and $ony.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #750
MJ4H
Coordinator

I haven't played my Wii in about 30 minutes. I love several of the games I have. I didn't waste my money buying a PS3 (or 360 yet) because I knew I didn't like the type of games it has to offer.