Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #701
Groundhog
Coordinator

Oh dear, the Hitchens-Hannity "talk" on Rev Falwell is even better/worse (depending on which side of the fence you are on). This is hilarious.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #702
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ge_tab_newstab

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/06/07

Federal and county investigators are looking into the death of another professional wrestler who was the patient of Dr. Phil Astin, the Carrollton doctor who prescribed steroids to wrestler Chris Benoit, who authorities said killed his wife and 7-year-old son and then committed suicide.

Dr. Astin was indicted this week by federal authorities on seven counts of distributing excessive amounts of pain and anxiety medicine and amphetamines to two people in Carrollton. He has not been charged in the Benoit case. But he is now being investigated for his role in writing prescriptions for wrestler Michael Durham, who died in February 2006, said Capt. Mike Pruitt of the Fayette County Sheriff's Office drug task force.

"We were just pulled into the investigation today [Friday]," Pruitt said late Friday night. "We still have to look at the toxicology reports and autopsy reports on his death, and that won't be before Monday."

Pruitt said that, as in the previous case, Dr. Astin is suspected of overprescribing drugs to Durham, whose stage name was Johnny Grunge.

Pruitt said his office is working with federal Drug Enforcement Administration investigators, who took over the investigation last week. He said the DEA had served additional search warrants Friday, but he had no more details. The DEA could not be reached for comment late Friday night.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #703
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Penny Durham was on Nancy Grace, Johnny Grunge's widow. Close friend of Nancy Benoit. She says that Nancy didn't really want a divorce in 2003 and that she and Chris merely had issues that happen to married couples everywhere, there was no abuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83u0PULb2C4

That's probably the reason why nobody really saw this coming. And it blows the "he beat up his wife, domestic abuse etc. etc. people should have known this was going to happen" argument out of the scene.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 07-15-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #704
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Updated AP Story: Toxicology report: Steroids found in Benoit
Posted by Ashish on 07.17.2007

Updated AP report plays up steroid angle...

Toxicology report: Steroids found in Benoit

DECATUR, Ga. (AP) — Pro wrestler Chris Benoit had a steroid and other drugs in his system when he killed his wife and young son last month and hanged himself in the family's home, investigators said Tuesday.

Benoit's body contained 10 times the normal level of testosterone, as well as amounts of the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, authorities said.

The testosterone, a synthetic version of the primary male sex hormone, is considered an anabolic steroid. The state's top medical examiner said it appeared to have been injected shortly before Benoit died.

Dr. Kris Sperry said there was no evidence of any other steroids in the wrestler's body, and nothing to show that steroids played a role in the death of Nancy and Daniel Benoit. He also said the boy appeared to have been sedated when he was asphyxiated, and Benoit's wife had a "therapeutic" level of sedatives in her body.

Sperry said there is no consensus that the use of testosterone can contribute to paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

"This a question that basically no one knows the answer to," Sperry said. "There is conflicting scientific data as to whether or not testosterone creates mental disorders or leads to outbursts of rage," he said. "There's data that suggests it and other data that refute it."

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Chris Benoit tested negative for alcohol. Investigators had been eager to determine whether alcohol was a factor in the killings after 10 empty beer cans were found in the home, as well as an empty wine bottle a few feet from where Benoit hanged himself.

Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son, placed Bibles next to their bodies and then hanged himself on the cable of a weight machine. After the slayings, prescription anabolic steroids were found in the family's home, raising questions about whether the drugs played a role in the killings.

Benoit's wife, Nancy, tested positive for Xanax, hydrocodone and the painkiller hydromorphone. Daniel Benoit had Xanax in his system, authorities said. The GBI said it could not perform tests for steroids or human growth hormones on the boy because of a lack of urine.

Nancy Benoit's body had a blood-alcohol level of 0.184%, more than twice the level at which Georgia law considers a driver intoxicated. But, Sperry said, that level may have been affected by decomposition.

Federal authorities have charged Chris Benoit's personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin, with improperly prescribing painkillers and other drugs to two patients other than Benoit. He has pleaded not guilty.

Investigators have also raided Astin's office several times since the deaths, seizing prescription records and other documents.

Before he was charged, Astin told the AP he prescribed testosterone for Benoit, a longtime friend, in the past. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed when Benoit visited his office June 22, the day authorities believe Benoit killed his wife.

World Wrestling Entertainment last screened Benoit for steroids in April. It said the results released Tuesday were proof Benoit did not test positive for illegal substances.

"All it means is that scientifically, it's now known that sometime between April 10 and when he died, he had treatment with testosterone," said Jerry McDevitt, a WWE attorney. "That's all it establishes."
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #705
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Aside from the incredibly sloppy headline, I thought this was an interesting practicality that I hadn't thought of.

First my mini-bitch about the headline on the web version of the story
It reads: "Who died first: Benoit or wife?"
Once you read the article, it becomes clear that the question is whether son Daniel or wife Nancy died first (indeed, under state law, Chris is ruled to have died first so that his estate flows into theirs instead of the other way around). Still, I'm amazed at the ambiguity of the headline which could easily be read as casting doubt about which adult killed the other.

The focus of the article itself is on how the order of death will determine where the money goes. If young Daniel was killed first, then his inheritance from his father's death would roll to Nancy and then on to her parents/family. If, on the other hand, Nancy died first, then everything rolls to Daniel and would then go to his half-brothers. The amount doesn't appear to be insubstantial either, described as including "two lavish homes, several bank accounts and lucrative investments".

Just something that I'd never really thought about before. The whole article is at:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ge_tab_newstab
Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #706
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like they cleaned up the headline. Interesting article, thanks. Didn't realize that was how it worked.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #707
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Looks like they cleaned up the headline.

Actually, they haven't yet. My link went to the actual article. The "headline" I mentioned earlier is the link from the main front page of their site.
http://www.ajc.com

Center-left, under "More headlines", currently it's the second item, still phrased as oddly as it was before.

MARTA buses go high-tech in '08-09

These babies can control traffic lights. Look for them in DeKalb.
Suburban pot ring busted

11,000 pounds of potent weed grown in upscale homes.
Vick reportedly in plea talks

2 may testify against QB. | POLL
• Poll: Vick treatment fair | Video
• Bradley: How must it feel?
MORE HEADLINES

* Another record high | Forecast
* Benoit's wife or son die first?
* Piedmont car deck clears hurdle
* AirTran renews Midwest bid
* Forsyth looks into housing limit

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-14-2007 at 09:09 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote