Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #701
Logan
Head Coach

Less than 2 mins left, and while I'm dying for the tying goal, there's no way I can fault the way this team has played.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #702
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As someone with no rooting interest at all, a fun game to watch, that's for sure.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #703
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

WOOHOO!!!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #704
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
And an unreal play to stop an empty net goal!

I had about 3 heart attacks during that 4 on 4.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #705
Pyser
Pro Rookie

good series

buff-ott should be fantastic
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #706
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
ill believe it when i see it, but this would certainly be a welcome sight:

Empty seats will be scarce -- perhaps non-existent -- when the New Jersey Devils debut at the Prudential Center in Newark this fall, Devils principal owner Jeffrey Vanderbeek said Wednesday.

"Based on the response that I've been seeing, there's a decent chance that we sell out every game," said Vanderbeek, whose team is battling the Ottawa Senators in the Stanley Cup playoffs. "Even my optimistic self has been overwhelmed by the demand for the premium seats."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
No. Not even the slightest chance of this happening.

It is possible the new Prudential Center will be sold out for every Devils game next season because all 2,114 club seats are sold and there is a waiting list for 500 tickets. The new arena will hold 17,500, with 1,100 of those seats in suites. Continental Airlines Arena holds 19,040 with about 300 in suites. Vanderbeek said the lower bowl is "basically sold out in the new arena."
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #707
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Red Wings will win through it all
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #708
Milton
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
It will happen. People who have NEVER been to New Jersey LOOOVE to criticize fans who didn't make it out to the Continental Airlines Arena. What these goofballs fail to understand -- and those of us in the known have been saying it FOREVER -- that arena and all of that stuff was built where it was to be close to NEW YORK. For Giants and Jets games that only happen on Sundays or maybe random days for a few months out of the year, it's no biggie.

But for basketball and hockey?

You need to be centrally located. The Rock is the first arena to be built in the NY Metro area in over a quarter century. It's located less than 5 minutes away from a major transit hub.

If minor league baseball, pro soccer (Red Bull New York's new stadium is right across the river in Harrison, you can see the baseball stadium from it in Newark) and a major performing arts center that wasn't built to cater to "locals" can survive in Newark, I have no doubt this arena will do well.

And best believe, the Nets will move there once that debacle in Brooklyn finally gets squashed once and for all.

Besides, if the MCI Center could succeed given where they put it, this arena will do even better. Because before, it wasn't a possibility that you could go see a Devils or Nets game randomly on your way home commuting if you wanted to.

But now? It'll be ridiculously easy to do. It's just logical.

I drive through Newark every single day to and from work. The place completely empties out at night, save for a very small pocket around the PAC. Not a very inviting place to be walking around with your family on a cold night in February. That baseball stadium where the Bears play barely draws flies. And the Brooklyn arena will be built. The Nets want no part of Newark.

The bottom line is this: 1. Hockey is the least popular of the four major team sports in the NY metro area. 2. The Devils are the least popular of the three local hockey teams. Yes, all things considered, they are even less popular than the Islanders. I'm not an Isles fan, but if they had the recent success that the Devils have had, they would have far more support.

Putting the arena in Newark will not change it. If I was a fan, who cares? If I was the owner, I'd be concerned. We can revisit this subject in October. Should be interesting.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #709
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Just to stoke some more excitement for the Sens-Sabres series, I couldn't help but watch this again:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPhqXj_24I
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #710
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Oh that is so awesome! I'd forgotten about that! If Ottawa falls behind by more than a couple goals in any of the games, Murray should send Emery out as a d-man for the third period and let him hunt down Peters for some vengence!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #711
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
If Ottawa falls behind by more than a couple goals in any of the games, Murray should send Emery out as an usher in the press box and let him hunt down Peters for some vengence!
Fixed.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #712
RendeR
Coordinator

Yeah, because Peters probably won't ever see ice time in this series. We have too many better quality forwards as it is.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #713
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Despite the good win on Saturday, the Wings are up against it now. Losing Schneider really hurts. He plays a ton of minutes in all situations. He's great on the powerplay and is key to making that first pass out of the zone.

Lebda's back, but Lebda's no Schneider. The Wings have lost 2 of their top 4 defensemen. It's getting to be like Buffalo was last year. It's tough when the war of attrition starts claiming players of that caliber.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #714
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Fixed.

beautifully, I might add
Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #715
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Detroit in 5.

I could not care less about the other series's's's's's's, so I won't give any other predictions.

Off by one, but I was still right.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #716
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Off by one, but I was still right.
I'm not really sure what happened this series. The Sharks basically controlled all of the first three games, and dropped the second one horribly. I think that might have just been a sort of a shot to the psychological groin, and it just took us out of it.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #717
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
The Sharks basically controlled all of the first three games, and dropped the second one horribly. I think that might have just been a sort of a shot to the psychological groin, and it just took us out of it.

I agree with that, although I think all of the first 3 games were very close. That game 4 destroyed the Sharks emotionally though.

Anyway, the loss of Schneider is going to really, really going hurt the Wings in the next round(s). The only thing that can help is if they can keep their defensive efforts up, and guys like Lilja can keep raising their game. Yes, I know that that's cliche'.

My next prediction:

Wings in 6.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #718
Hurst2112
College Starter

Hey, Patrick Marleau, the Children's Television Workshop called. They want the letter C back.

effin awesome!

Hasek is in rare form.

What's the status on Kronwall? Was he hurt that bad? I thought 6-8 weeks.

Schneider is going to be a big void to fill.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 PM   #719
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
sorry, sorry sorry...

bsak, if you could, I posted these on another forum. Could you add me?

For the semis:

Det / San Jose------- Detroit in 6

Anaheim / Vancouver-------- Vancouver in 7

Buffalo / Rangers----------- Buffalo in 5

Devils / Ottawa------------- Devils in 6

2 outta 4 aint bad. And, I DID pick the Wings right.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #720
Hurst2112
College Starter

dola...

That Lidstrom 'save' tonight reminded me of that one he got against the (I think) Flyers in 97. Maybe it was the Caps in 98. If the ballotting for the Norris included the post season, he would have the trophy with that play this evening.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #721
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think Wings-Ducks has the makings of a terrific series. In fact, I love the look and feel of both finals series.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:47 AM   #722
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I will update the standings when I get to work.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 AM   #723
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Round 2 Results

1. Bsak16 4-0-3
2. Maple Leafs 4-0-2
3. Fidateo 4-0-1
4. Honolulu_Blue 3-1-2
5t. Travis 3-1-1
5t. DetoxRox 3-1-1
5t. NoSkillz 3-1-1
8t. Karim 2-2-1
8t. Hurst2122 2-2-1
10t. Draft Dodger 1-3-0
10t. RendeR 1-3-0
12. General Mike 0-4
Old 05-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #724
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

For those who have entered in Round 1 and 2...

Total Standings
1. Maple Leafs 12-0-3
2. Bsak16 11-1-7
3. Karim 9-3-5
4. Travis 9-3-2
5. Hurst2122 8-4-4
6. Honolulu_Blue 8-4-2
7. DetoxRox 7-5-2
8. Draft Dodger 6-6-2
9. RendeR 5-7-1
10. General Mike 5-7-0
Old 05-08-2007, 06:31 AM   #725
bob
College Starter

Quote:
dola...

That Lidstrom 'save' tonight reminded me of that one he got against the (I think) Flyers in 97. Maybe it was the Caps in 98. If the ballotting for the Norris included the post season, he would have the trophy with that play this evening.

Would that wrap around have gone in without Lidstrom there? From the overhead view, it looked like it was going parallel with the goal line and would have missed unless it hit Hasek and went in.

Still a great play by Lidstrom.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 AM   #726
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Hey, Patrick Marleau, the Children's Television Workshop called. They want the letter C back.
Good one. This made me laugh.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:52 AM   #727
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
dola...

It was against Colorado in the 1998 Western Conference Finals, Game 2. That's still one of my favorite games of all time. I remember jumping up and down on the couch and punching the ceiling in excitement. I caused only minor damage.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #728
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's hard to believe that the Sharks were one Robert Lang goal away from being up 3-1 in this series. Stunning.

Hasek was great last night. Other than that fluky Grier play (he's good for about one of those every two games) where Lidstrom bailed him out, he was incredibly solid. I started to get that feeling that he wasn't going to let anything by him after the first period. As much as I like Manny Legace, there's really no comparison.

The Wings are going to have a very rough go of it against Anaheim. Losing Schneider is really going to hurt. Their power play looked very disorganized last night. Chelios hasn't really been able to play the point on the power play in 12-15 years. Lebda is fast, but doesn't have much of a shot. The Wings actually had Markov and Lilja on the point for a little bit there. Not good.

Kronwall broke a bone in his hip, so it was that bad. Apparently he just recently resumed skating. I don't think the Wings can count on him to be ready for this series.

The Wings depleted defense will have their hands full with the forwards Anaheim can put out there.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #729
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Total Standings
1. Maple Leafs 12-0
Oh snap!

And I don't even need to make any more predictions, since I had the correct Stanley Cup result (Ducks over Senators) in my first post.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #730
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Buffalo in 7
Anaheim in 6
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #731
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Buffalo in 7
Anaheim in 6
Dude, I know it's a long thread, but the correct answers have already been posted just one post above yours!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #732
RendeR
Coordinator

Buffalo in 7
Wings in 7

Buffalo Takes the cup over the dead-wings in 6.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #733
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I love watching Buffalo play.

..and I'd admit, watching Detroit last night and the passion they play with.. wow.. good for you Schmidty
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #734
st.cronin
General Manager

I like Detroit, assuming Hasek stays healthy. I like the way that team plays.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #735
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Even though Detroit is going to lose to the Ducks, part of me hopes they win. Against either East opponent, the Hasek sub-plot will be fantastic.

(P.S. Sens in six, Ducks in five.)
Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #736
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
(P.S. Sens in six, Ducks in five.)

Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #737
Travis
Pro Rookie

Sabres in 6
Ducks in 5
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #738
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

hey i've been busy the past couple of days. can someone tell me how the devils/lightning series is going. i dont see either mentioned in the recent predictions.

thanks.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #739
kingfc22
Head Coach

Sharks folded their tents just like last season:
Win Rd. 1. (CHECK)
Dominate beginning of Rd. 2 (CHECK)
Blow lead in middle of series (CHECK)
Roll over and get eliminated (CHECK)

P.S.
Ensure power play is non-existent in postseason (CHECK)

Old 05-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #740
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Buffalo in 7
Wings in 7

Buffalo Takes the cup over the dead-wings in 6.

considering you are 2nd to last, and I'm a wings fan, your picks make me uneasy.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #741
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:

Anyway, the loss of Schneider is going to really, really going hurt the Wings in the next round(s). The only thing that can help is if they can keep their defensive efforts up, and guys like Lilja can keep raising their game. Yes, I know that that's cliche'.

Maybe they can put Fedorov on D again. That worked against the Hurricanes.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #742
Hurst2112
College Starter

picks for conf. finals

Wings in 7
Sabres in 5
Old 05-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #743
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm going to go with Chief Rum here and root for the Ducks.
And I'm rooting against the Sabres because of lifetime achievement.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #744
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Buffalo in 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Buffalo in 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Sabres in 6
Quote:
Sabres in 5

Are you guys trying to lose, or is this a desperate "pick against Maple Leafs because it's the only way to win" sort of strategy?

I wish I was in Vegas, I'd be making some money on this series.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #745
Hurst2112
College Starter

it's a pick against the leader sort of thing for me.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #746
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Two people that have no rooting interest in these playoffs at all are 1-2 in the overall standings.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #747
bbor
Pro Starter

Ottawa in 6

Ducks in 4 maybe 5

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #748
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I really have no clue on the East. I'll say Buffalo in 7.

I've gone against Detroit twice now, and won't make that mistake again. Detroit in 6
Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #749
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Two people that have no rooting interest in these playoffs at all are 1-2 in the overall standings.

And while I am losing the tie breaker, I'm tied for third while rooting for a team that is well represented at the international tourney.

Stupid Oilers.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #750
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
And while I am losing the tie breaker, I'm tied for third while rooting for a team that is well represented at the international tourney.

Stupid Oilers.

While you may not be rooting for Detroit, you have to be rooting against the Ducks (Pronger).