Jeez Sabres,
Stop turning the fricken puck over.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #703
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
But it wasn't a "spilt second". It was 4.4 seconds.

I thought your question about how late might not always equal dirty, and was answering in a general sense.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #704
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Nice comeback by the Sabres given how short-handed they were. But in terms of the physical stuff... yikes. Ruff at home, Lindy on the road indeed.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #705
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I thought your question about how late might not always equal dirty, and was answering in a general sense.

Sorry, misunderstood your response.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #706
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Nice comeback by the Sabres given how short-handed they were. But in terms of the physical stuff... yikes. Ruff at home, Lindy on the road indeed.

It's almost as the Sens focused too much on trying to be physical and try to get back the Sabres. However, the Sabres are the one team that you can never let your guard against. Depsite the lost, the Sabres have to come away with a great feeling the way they came back (and losing on a poorly handled goal).

It's very possible that this could be a second-round playoff series with these two teams.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-24-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #707
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Atlanta Thrashers have made a move to bolster their blueline for a playoff run, acquiring veteran Alexei Zhitnik from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for top defence prospect Braydon Coburn.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197567&hubname=
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:08 PM   #708
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
The Atlanta Thrashers have made a move to bolster their blueline for a playoff run, acquiring veteran Alexei Zhitnik from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for top defence prospect Braydon Coburn.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197567&hubname=

Too little, too late I'm afraid
Old 02-24-2007, 10:11 PM   #709
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Alexei Zhitnik? They still make that?

What's next? They're gonna bring Richard Smehlik out of retirement to play alongside him?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #710
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
What's next? They're gonna bring Richard Smehlik out of retirement to play alongside him?

Sadly, he'd be an upgrade over Sutton, DeVries, and (of late) Havelid. When Exelby is rapidly becoming your most consistent & maybe best defenseman, there's serious issues.

The one thing I don't like about this trade is that Zhitnik has another year or two left at $3.5m after this one.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:03 AM   #711
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
btw, just happened to be half-watching the Isles-Canadians today. Some Bergeron guy for the Isles just saved a certain goal by blocking a shot in the goal crease to preserve a 3-2 lead.

Was that right after he gave the puck away that led to the opportunity?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #712
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING-Acquired D Shane O'Brien and a 2007 third-round draft pick from Anaheim for G Gerald Coleman and a 2007 first-round draft pick.

I like Shane O'Brien, but Burke is a genius. The Canucks were idiots to force him out.

Do you know something I don't about Coleman that makes this move make more sense? Because as a Ducks fan, I am confused. I do agree Burke is a genius at putting teams together, and for that reason alone, I will give him the benefit of the doubt until I know more.

But what I am seeing here is us trading away a good young defenseman with potential when we're not deep on the blue line at all, and getting a questionably talented goalie (perhaps our strongest organizational position) and a midlevel first rounder at best.

While turning O'Brien into a first rounder is a decent move, it makes no sense at all for where this team is now. Unless this is a prelude to a move for offense (like a veteran second line sniper wing), where we finally have a first rounder to deal (we dealt our next two in the Pronger deal), I don't see how this helps us now at all, and it's questionable how much it will help us anywhere in the next three years at least.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #713
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

No, Coleman is nothing. He means nothing to the deal. O'Brien is good, but he is certainly not worth a first rounder. This first rounder will be used to bring in something better. I think it is a prelude to a bigger deal. I like Shane a lot. Might be the only player I actually like on that team. I should say liked, since he's gone. Still, I think this was all about getting the first round pick and Coleman will serve as depth when at least one of the minor league goalies walks away via free agency this summer.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-25-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #714
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Alexei Zhitnik? They still make that?

They did have Smehlik in his final season, does that count?

This does reveal how low Coburn's stock dropped, IMO. He has all the physical skills but apparently doesn't have the brain to go with it. This kid was a 8th overall pick but has been slow to grasp the mental side of the pro game. Lots of people have talked about how many times Bob Hartley had to go over fundamentals with him during practices.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-25-2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 AM   #715
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Nothing will happen. League brass will be in attendance. The game will be called tight and it will be really boring. At least that's my take on it. I'd like to be surprised, but it usually goes the boring route.

Glad I was wrong about the game. It was a very good one.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #716
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
Was that right after he gave the puck away that led to the opportunity?

like I said, half-watching.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #717
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

sounds like Keith Tkachuk is going to Atlanta for a boatload
Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #718
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
sounds like Keith Tkachuk is going to Atlanta for a boatload

Hopefully that boatload will at least include dead weight Niko Kapanen.

I think the phrase "panic move" that's being tossed around is pretty appropriate, but I'm not at all sure that panic isn't appropriate for the team at this point. Missing the playoffs after leading the division for most of the season is a very real possibility, and that would be the end of both Waddell & Hartley, not to mention the damage it would do to an still fragile fanbase (of course, being 0-7 for home sellouts & an abysmal record for Saturday home games isn't helping matters there either).

Giving up a first round pick doesn't really bother me much. While they aren't the Detroit Lions (yet), the team hasn't exactly been stellar with their picks either. Odds are, they'll get as much or more out of an aging Tkachuk as they would have gotten out of the pick anyway.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #719
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

word is 1st and 2nd in 07, 3rd in 08 and Metropolit.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #720
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

dola, I would LOVE to have Hartley back in Colorado. Atlanta should fire him.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #721
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Unofficially, the deal is...

The Atlanta Thrashers have traded for Keith Tkachuk in exchange for Glen Metropolit, Atlanta's 2007 1st round pick, 3rd round pick, a 2nd rounder in 2008. There is also a conditional pick based upon whether Tkachuk resigns in Atlanta or not.

Metro is one of the favorite players of my wife and I, so we hate to see him go (she knows him from more than 10 years ago). Even worse that he is leaving so that some douchebag like Tkachuk can come here. I care very little for Tkachuk and Guerin so, since they appeared to be determined to land one of those two, I was going to be unhappy with the move either way.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-25-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #722
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've been a steady supporter of Hartley since he was hired, but there have been some chinks in that armor this year, most notably his curious handling of the rotation of Lehtonen & Hedberg in goal. Or more specifically the lack of rotation.

Waddell, on the other hand ... good grief. How on earth this guy still has a job confounds me, either he's one of the worst judges of ability ever or he takes advice from horrible judges of ability. In either case, he can't get out of town fast enough to suit me at this point.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #723
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Metro is one of the favorite players of my wife and I, so we hate to see him go (she knows him from more than 10 years ago).

I'm sorry to see him go too, not for any personal/personality reasons, but rather simply because he's been productive here. And losing his contributions reduces the value of Tkachuk for me.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #724
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm sorry to see him go too, not for any personal/personality reasons, but rather simply because he's been productive here. And losing his contributions reduces the value of Tkachuk for me.

Indeed. I think he accomplished what he wanted to, though. He wanted to prove he could hang in the NHL and get it done, and despite Hartley's attempts to hold him down I think he did it. I know lots of people were wondering why he wasn't getting more ice time. He seemed to be the most effective centerman night after night, yet Hartley would juggle his ice time, linemates, and everything from period to period.

One thing is clear about Hartley: He has no system or philosophy at all.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-25-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #725
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Wait. You said you were going to take MacTavish, and now you want Hartley back. I thought we were friends.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #726
Pyser
Pro Rookie

The Montreal Canadiens traded defenceman Craig Rivet and a future fifth-round pick to the San Jose Sharks for defenceman Josh Gorges and a first-round pick in this year's draft.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #727
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
The Montreal Canadiens traded defenceman Craig Rivet and a future fifth-round pick to the San Jose Sharks for defenceman Josh Gorges and a first-round pick in this year's draft.

Craig Rivet for a first round pick?

Oh my...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #728
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Craig Rivet for a first round pick?

Oh my...

yeah. do GMs know that the draft is more than 1 round long?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #729
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Do you know something I don't about Coleman that makes this move make more sense? Because as a Ducks fan, I am confused. I do agree Burke is a genius at putting teams together, and for that reason alone, I will give him the benefit of the doubt until I know more.

But what I am seeing here is us trading away a good young defenseman with potential when we're not deep on the blue line at all, and getting a questionably talented goalie (perhaps our strongest organizational position) and a midlevel first rounder at best.

While turning O'Brien into a first rounder is a decent move, it makes no sense at all for where this team is now. Unless this is a prelude to a move for offense (like a veteran second line sniper wing), where we finally have a first rounder to deal (we dealt our next two in the Pronger deal), I don't see how this helps us now at all, and it's questionable how much it will help us anywhere in the next three years at least.

I 100% agree with this post. Sure a first round pick for O'Brien is an OK return, but this is supposed to be a team with Stanley Cup aspirations. Kent Huskins is now starting on the blueline, and it doesn't look like we are going to bring in another defensemen.

We also have no need for Coleman unless both Caron and Bryzgalov are both gone at the end of the year.

O'Brien was my favorite player, and it's a horrible deal for a team whose window really isn't that big (assuming this is Selanne's last good year and Niedermayer won't be around for ever) I don't see anyone still on the market who would have been better for us this year than O'Brien. If Niedermayer or Pronger go down, the season is now pretty much done and all we got was a mid-first rounder at best.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #730
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
yeah. do GMs know that the draft is more than 1 round long?
There's a line of thought that mid-to-late first rounders are worth less these days thanks to liberalized free agency. Early picks who are going to contribute right away are still gold, but if a guy is going to need years to devlop, you may only get a couple of years out of him before he hits UFA. And that's if he makes it at all... Some GMs apparently figure that they'll deal a short-term unknown for a very short-term known.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #731
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
There's a line of thought that mid-to-late first rounders are worth less these days thanks to liberalized free agency. Early picks who are going to contribute right away are still gold, but if a guy is going to need years to devlop, you may only get a couple of years out of him before he hits UFA. And that's if he makes it at all... Some GMs apparently figure that they'll deal a short-term unknown for a very short-term known.

I don't necessarily disagree with this line of thinking...but fucking Rivet?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #732
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Between that and the new rule that you have to sign all of your prospects within 2 years of drafting them a lot of people think the value of draft picks is not what it once was. This discussion came up with regards to making offering sheets to other team's RFA's, the thought being that the cost of a handful of picks, even first rounders, may actually be worth the price of a top-end talent guy under the new rules. That view didn't seem to catch on last year.

If Rivet, an expiring UFA, goes for a first rounder and Tkachuk is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a roster player, Guerin's price will be very steep indeed.

I guess Braydon Coburn just hasn't developed like Atlanta thought he would. Coming out of the draft everyone thought he'd be the next big thing. Big, strong, some offensive upside.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #733
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I guess Braydon Coburn just hasn't developed like Atlanta thought he would. Coming out of the draft everyone thought he'd be the next big thing. Big, strong, some offensive upside.

Somewhere or another (one of the ESPN columnists maybe) there was a comment that summed it up pretty well, to the effect that "if he learns how to skate or how to hit, he might be okay".

I know it can be hit or miss when trying to identify prospects vs suspects, but it seems that the odds of Coburn developing into what the Thrashers hoped were pretty slim.

Of the 16 defensement drafted by the team prior to Coburn, only one (Exelby) has ever gotten any real time in the NHL (one other, Luke Sellars, technically made it, playing in one NHL game, he's now in the UHL), and four of those were in the top 100 of their draft class. Meanwhile, the team drafted four defensemen with their first six picks in the two drafts after Coburn was selected, so in theory there might be as much help coming as Coburn was providing anyway.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #734
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Somewhere or another (one of the ESPN columnists maybe) there was a comment that summed it up pretty well, to the effect that "if he learns how to skate or how to hit, he might be okay".

I know it can be hit or miss when trying to identify prospects vs suspects, but it seems that the odds of Coburn developing into what the Thrashers hoped were pretty slim.

Of the 16 defensement drafted by the team prior to Coburn, only one (Exelby) has ever gotten any real time in the NHL (one other, Luke Sellars, technically made it, playing in one NHL game, he's now in the UHL), and four of those were in the top 100 of their draft class. Meanwhile, the team drafted four defensemen with their first six picks in the two drafts after Coburn was selected, so in theory there might be as much help coming as Coburn was providing anyway.

I know one would Boris Valabik, who was a top 10 pick in 2004. But isn't he, possibly like Coburn, less effective in the new NHL? I think he was drafted to be a big, mean, ugly guy in the defensive zone and not much more, like a Hatcher or Hall Gill type. He can no longer (within the rules) do what he does best.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #735
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

He sounds like he's on the verge of becomming a poorman's Cory Cross.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #736
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Sources tell TSN the Florida Panthers have agreed to a trade involving Gary Roberts and have asked him to waive his no trade clause. But sources say the deal is not with Toronto or Ottawa, the only two teams Roberts has said he will go to.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #737
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I know one would Boris Valabik, who was a top 10 pick in 2004. But isn't he, possibly like Coburn, less effective in the new NHL? I think he was drafted to be a big, mean, ugly guy in the defensive zone and not much more, like a Hatcher or Hall Gill type. He can no longer (within the rules) do what he does best.

Valabik is one of the four, the others are Grant Lewis (40th in 2004, still at Dartmouth), Scott Lehman (76th in '04, now at ECHL/Gwinnett), and Chad Denny (49th in '05, still at Lewiston/QMJHL).

If the most Coburn was providing was a 6th or 7th defensman with maybe an (reassessed) upside of being a 4th or 5th guy, then I imagine the thinking is/was that older guys like Popovic could fill the current role in a pinch & that the younger prospects have at least that much future.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #738
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
Sources tell TSN the Florida Panthers have agreed to a trade involving Gary Roberts and have asked him to waive his no trade clause. But sources say the deal is not with Toronto or Ottawa, the only two teams Roberts has said he will go to.

The Post-Gazette is reporting that the Pens are trying to land Roberts. No idea on what they'll give up for him, though.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07057/765150-100.stm
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #739
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Crosby and a first, no doubt
Old 02-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #740
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
The Post-Gazette is reporting that the Pens are trying to land Roberts. No idea on what they'll give up for him, though.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07057/765150-100.stm

Malone or Ouellett-- God bless Ray Shero!
If it takes Colby Armstrong or Erik Christiansen, not worth it.

I believe they originally asked Ottawa for A Vermette and a pick...in which case it would take Armstrong or Christiansen, unless Florida severely lowered their price.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 02-26-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #741
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Smolinksi to Vancouver for a 2nd rounder.

Zednik to the Islanders for a 2nd rounder.

Both deals are fine by me. I've never liked either player.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #742
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings trade Jason Williams to Philly for Kyle Calder

Calder is an expiring contract who at this point is about as useful as Williams, so its probably a trade that opens the doors to something bigger.

Thank God though, Williams is awful.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #743
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola looks like it was a three team deal

Calder has been acquired by the Detroit Red Wings in a three-way trade involving the Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks.

After being obtained by the Blackhawks from the Flyers for defenseman Lasse Kukkonen and a third-round pick, Calder was sent to the Red Wings for center Jason Williams.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #744
DeToxRox
Head Coach

also

LA sends Sopel to the Canucks for a 2nd/4th
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #745
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
Wings trade Jason Williams to Philly for Kyle Calder

Calder is an expiring contract who at this point is about as useful as Williams, so its probably a trade that opens the doors to something bigger.

Thank God though, Williams is awful.

I kind of like Kyle Calder. He's shown some flashes. Jason Williams never did much for me. It really seems like a bit of a lateral move at the moment...
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #746
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It should be noted it is actually Williams to Chicago.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #747
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rumor is Guerin to Detroit according to local radio.

Trying to find anything concrete but throwing it out there.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #748
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cant confirm it so for now I'd say its just more speculation.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:25 AM   #749
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Malone or Ouellett-- God bless Ray Shero!
If it takes Colby Armstrong or Erik Christiansen, not worth it.

I believe they originally asked Ottawa for A Vermette and a pick...in which case it would take Armstrong or Christiansen, unless Florida severely lowered their price.

I've heard that it could be Noah Welch. I personally think this is a terrible move by the Pens. Roberts will be an UFA in July. Is this guy going to win them a cup, no. A lot has been said about the Pens' toughness and them needing an enforcer but I don't think they should be giving up on Welch so soon for a rental like this.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-27-2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Elaboration
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:18 AM   #750
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, Coleman is nothing. He means nothing to the deal. O'Brien is good, but he is certainly not worth a first rounder. This first rounder will be used to bring in something better. I think it is a prelude to a bigger deal. I like Shane a lot. Might be the only player I actually like on that team. I should say liked, since he's gone. Still, I think this was all about getting the first round pick and Coleman will serve as depth when at least one of the minor league goalies walks away via free agency this summer.

Oh come on, surely you like Teemu. Everyone likes Teemu.

Other than that, generally agree with your points. This has to be a move to try to bring someone in tomorrow (I hope). It's possible (and Burke suggested as much to the local papers) that he sees soem value if a deal doesn't get done (a first rounder is a first rounder, and as you note, getting Coleman helps us if we allow Caron to leave from Portland, or if we finally decide to move either Bryz or allow Jiggy to leave). But I am hoping we get a deal done, and just resign Jiggy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote