Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #651
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think this draft is going to be won in the later rounds. There are some very strong teams so far, wade's included.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #652
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
He misunderstood something, and changed his pick right away. Once he did that, there's no reason the guy couldn't be picked again.

I guess I'm missing the problem here.

Right, but my point is that I have no problem with someone being able to change their pick if they misunderstood the draft. But that means Fielding isn't an eligible pick for him. I wasn't going to pick Fielding anyways, so I don't really care that much. I'm probably more disappointed he didn't stick with the family only theme.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #653
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I'm reading along with interest.

Crim's front runners so far:
1t Danny
1t larry
3 Maple

There's a pick still out there that would be huge, if someone will just make it. She'd be my third round pick easy, and I can't believe she's on the board...

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #654
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'd just like to call a bit of shennigans on the fact that RendeR picked him in the 1st round, some people called him out, so he retracted and picked someone else, and he gets him in the 5th? That's quite a bit of BS.

Anyway, I know this is not serious enough a thing that we should do anything about it, but that's pretty lame in my opinion.

I see no problem with his pick in this regard. I don't think it's a real strong one, but the voters will sort that out.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #655
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

From his list

Tasan Picks 6.3 Dino-Flintstones - Pet
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #656
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm here Sak, so disregard my list.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #657
RendeR
Coordinator

Guess I'm up now then.....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #658
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, so was it established if people should be taking the "Family" part of the draft seriously, or was it left up to the voters?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #659
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Ok, so was it established if people should be taking the "Family" part of the draft seriously, or was it left up to the voters?

It was established that this was a sitcom draft, and the categories that were selected included family members.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #660
Danny
Head Coach

Just leave it up to the voters I think.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #661
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm taking it seriously, though I think the wild card spot has flexibility and I was thrilled to have Kramer as my families neighbor
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #662
RendeR
Coordinator

6.4 Alan Harper, 2 and a half Men, Jon Cryer: Brother

This was a tough choice, My take on tihngs was more along the lines of "brother OF the lead character" so i went with Alan here instead of Charlie.

Last edited by RendeR : 01-17-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #663
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
5.11 Fred G. Sanford - Sanford and Son - Dad - Oh, this is the big one!

Great pick, particularly at this stage.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #664
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

After re-reading everything my opinion has become "You're drafting your own sitcom from characters in sitcoms. Your sitcom is a family based idea with the following roles to fill:

but again thats just my take. the voters will decide later.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #665
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Great pick, particularly at this stage.

Yeah I thought of him yesterday and went "DOH!!!" he is a great pick especially this far down.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #666
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
It was established that this was a sitcom draft, and the categories that were selected included family members.

It was established that this was a TV Family draft, and the categories that were selected included family members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #667
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
No, it wasn't. That's how you've interpreted it.
The thread title was specifically changed because of this change.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #668
wade moore
lolzcat

I mean, it's not a HUGE deal to my team as outside of Lassie I expect for my entire family to be from what are clearly sitcoms.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #669
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Now I see that it was changed. I thought the discussion around this ended back on pages 6,7 and 8, but I guess not.

Last edited by cartman : 01-17-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #670
wade moore
lolzcat

FWIW..

My personal view at this point (not necessarily Dr. Sak's goal) is I'm making the best Sitcom Family from TV Show Characters. If I think someone from a non-sitcom works for my sitcom family, so be it.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #671
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

6,5- Sam Malone- Cheers- Wildcars

the ultimate ladies man
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #672
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
6.4 Alan Harper, 2 and a half Men, Jon Cryer: Brother

This was a tough choice, My take on tihngs was more along the lines of "brother OF the lead character" so i went with Alan here instead of Charlie.

I interpreted the brother category more along the lines of the son in the family as opposed to this. Having different interpretations is part of the game though
Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #673
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW..

My personal view at this point (not necessarily Dr. Sak's goal) is I'm making the best Sitcom Family from TV Show Characters. If I think someone from a non-sitcom works for my sitcom family, so be it.

This is what I've come to do as well.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #674
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I interpreted the brother category more along the lines of the son in the family as opposed to this. Having different interpretations is part of the game though

yeha I thought along that line too, but that appears to be where everyone was going with that pick which is why I wanted to be a little different while still fitting the position. Its all good =)
Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #675
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
5.8- Fran Fine ( Drescher)- The nanny- Nanny

Her voice is annoying as hell but millions of jewish women cant be wrong. can they?

FINALLY! I can't believe that she lasted this long. I mean, the show was named after her, so that's gotta count for something.

Quote:
5.9 Dan Fielding , Night Court, bad guy This role launched John larroquete's career as his self absorbed prosecutor became the defacto funny man of the show.

Not sure about the controversy over this, all I know is it's a weak pick. Tough category, but not someone I would've chosen to fill it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Well I can pick now, I guess.

5.10 Steve Urkel-Family Matters - Wildcard

Love him, hate him, he single handedly kept a mediocre sitcom afloat, more than that, gave it success. He's not a family member, not a best friend, but hands down the star of the show. Mr Wildcard.

!!! He wasn't even on my radar, but I think this is as good a wildcard as Balki. I love to see the strategy here and I'm curious if anyone will pick who I had as my wildcard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
5.12 - Basil Fawlty (Wildcard), Fawlty Towers. I'll probably get a who or what the f, but just trust me on this one.

I was wondering if anyone would pick old Basil. Great character, great show, but I think that "who or what the f" factor might hurt you with the voters.

My number 3 dad is still out there, as is his entire show. Huh.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #676
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Because Homer and Tony need somebody to drink with, and Mike needs somebody to teach him how to woo the ladies...

6.6 - Best Friend - Larry Dallas
Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #677
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
My number 3 dad is still out there, as is his entire show. Huh.

I have a hunch for some reason that you and I are thinking of the same show, and for me it's not the dad who's the strongest pick on there. Although he's a real steal at this point too.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #678
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Right, but my point is that I have no problem with someone being able to change their pick if they misunderstood the draft. But that means Fielding isn't an eligible pick for him. I wasn't going to pick Fielding anyways, so I don't really care that much. I'm probably more disappointed he didn't stick with the family only theme.

WTF do you and Wade want me to do? I screwed that pick, realized I screwed it up and changed it to FIT THE RULES AT THE TIME. Then everyone whines and bitches that the rules aren't clear enough or open enough to let them do whatever the fuck they want and the rules get CHANGED to allow the pick I initially made.

So you tell me, WTF is wrong with picking him now after ALL of you have had more than enough chance to take him IF you actually wanted him?

HRM?

Whatever your fucking problems are with me or my picks I think perhaps you ought to shove them up your ass with your heads and leave me the fuck alone for a while. get over yourselves. its a fucking fantasy draft.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #679
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Note to self: Don't participate with RendeR in future drafts.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #680
wade moore
lolzcat

Just a note: no rules have changed since the draft started.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #681
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
So you tell me, WTF is wrong with picking him now after ALL of you have had more than enough chance to take him IF you actually wanted him?

While the rest of the post is classic RendeR cringeworthy massive overreaction, I pretty much agree with this sentiment.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #682
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
While the rest of the post is classic RendeR cringeworthy massive overreaction, I pretty much agree with this sentiment.
*shurg*

I said I don't think we should do anythign about it, but like I said at that point hte pick is "tainted".

In all honesty I don't think it's a good pick so it's really not that big of a deal...

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #683
wade moore
lolzcat

Anyway - sorry for unnecessary drama. I woke up, saw the pick of someone he backed out on after posting previously and it rubbed me the wrong way. If others dont' care, then it's nto that important to me.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #684
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Just a note: no rules have changed since the draft started.

Wrong. The change from sitcoms to all TV shows happened after the draft got underway. That is why most of us are sticking to only picking characters from sitcoms, since that was the criteria when we started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I was told that sitcoms are 30 minutes...and that Dramas are 60 minutes. As I said above I didn't want to have an argument if a show is sometimes 60 minutes. So it is my fault, I apologize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I agree, I thought that was exactly what were doing, a sitcom draft. I didn't care about run time etc...

I became confused just recently when I saw that the draft was changed away from a sitcom draft to a television draft.

Last edited by cartman : 01-17-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #685
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Wrong. The change from sitcoms to all TV shows happened after the draft got underway. That is why most of us are sticking to only picking characters from sitcoms, since that was the criteria when we started.

No, you are wrong.

It happened after the thread was started, but before 1.1 was made. The thread title changed before a single pick was made, in fact I believe before we had 12 participants named.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #686
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yessir...i'll update the first post with the picks. I changed the thread title.

This was post #68.

Pick 1.1 was post #77.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #687
cartman
Death Herald

And the kicker is, the changes that were made were mainly due to your misunderstanding of the original ground rules, Wade.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #688
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I wanna get it on this action --

Logan fucking sucks. Asshole.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #689
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
And the kicker is, the changes that were made were mainly due to your misunderstanding of the original ground rules, Wade.

I gotta agree with this one.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #690
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
WTF do you and Wade want me to do? I screwed that pick, realized I screwed it up and changed it to FIT THE RULES AT THE TIME. Then everyone whines and bitches that the rules aren't clear enough or open enough to let them do whatever the fuck they want and the rules get CHANGED to allow the pick I initially made.

HRM?

Whatever your fucking problems are with me or my picks I think perhaps you ought to shove them up your ass with your heads and leave me the fuck alone for a while. get over yourselves. its a fucking fantasy draft.

A little over the top, but that's par for course.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #691
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I understood the ground rules just fine. I wanted it to be sitcoms only. People were throwing around things that were not sitcoms, so I asked for clarification on what we were doing.

For the record, I wasn't the only one. I'm not sure why I was singled out. I let it be and Maple Leafs at least also wanted clarification. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. To remove confusion, Dr. Sak broadened the wording of the draft. I was fine with that, and moved on. Then at some point people wanted to redefine back to the original intention, after that restriction was removed.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #692
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
*shurg*

I said I don't think we should do anythign about it, but like I said at that point hte pick is "tainted".

In all honesty I don't think it's a good pick so it's really not that big of a deal...

If this is true then perhaps you just ought to shut the fuck up about it instead of continuing to stick your personal bitchiness into an open wound. You don't want the pick, everyone else had 5 rounds to take him so obviously they didn't want him, shut the fuck UP already.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #693
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Is it Raiders pick?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #694
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
If this is true then perhaps you just ought to shut the fuck up about it instead of continuing to stick your personal bitchiness into an open wound. You don't want the pick, everyone else had 5 rounds to take him so obviously they didn't want him, shut the fuck UP already.

If someone asks me a question or makes a claim that is not true (like that the rules changed after you made the initial swap), I'm going to answer and/or correct.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #695
RendeR
Coordinator

And Bucc, if you actually think *I* am the real issue here perhaps you ought to just put me on ignore and be done with it. otherwise you can join wade in the shut-the-fuck-up-o-family.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #696
wade moore
lolzcat

RendeR - fwiw I think the problem for some with you is the overreaction, not the point you are trying make. It seems that most disagree with me, but everyone disagrees with your level of venom.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #697
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
If someone asks me a question or makes a claim that is not true (like that the rules changed after you made the initial swap), I'm going to answer and/or correct.

nice job responding to something other than what I was talking about. You have every right to respond to cartman, I was answering your continue sniping at me for no good reason. You beat a dead fucking horse for all its worth and then wonder why people get annoyed about it? You've been riding me since that initial pick, when by your own statement you don;t care, so I can only assume that you have a stick up your ass about me and just want to be an asshole. Let IT Go.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #698
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
RendeR - fwiw I think the problem for some with you is the overreaction, not the point you are trying make. It seems that most disagree with me, but everyone disagrees with your level of venom.

I've been posting here for almost 9 years, if people haven't figured out what I'm going to react to and how I will react by now thats not my problem.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #699
Tasan
College Starter

Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #700
cartman
Death Herald

My case:

Quote:
Hour long shows are dramas, not sitcoms imo. I just think that in the TV World there is a very clear distinction between the two.

Quote:
I dont agree. I should've went with my gut and left the word Sitcom out of the title...and just left it as TV Family Draft. But I"m willing to go with the majority here...if they want it to be limited to 30 minute shows then so be it.

Quote:
I wouldn't be argueing if you had said TV Family Draft, but that's an ENTIRELY different game than the TV Sitcom Family Draft. ENTIRELY different.

There is a HUGE difference between a 1-hour family related drama and a 1/2 hour family-related sitcom.

Quote:
How about we agree to disagree?

Quote:
The definition completely changes the way this game is played, so I'm not sure that I like that option.

Quote:
I am trying to be the better one here and not start a fight with you like the last time we were in a draft together. Sometimes you nitpick drafts and read into things so seriously that it takes the fun out of it. I understand the point about no reality shows but by taking someone from a "TV Family" that was on an hour long show that bad? Again, it is up to the voters to decide.

As I said a few posts up, I am willing to let it up to you guys. I WANT it to include hour long shows, but if people joined thinking it was only the 30 minute ones, I will just go with that.

Quote:
Don't remember a previous fight. *shurg*

I'll just shutup and hope the voters understand what a sitcom is.