Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Huh?

There are several solo modes.

Oh? It seems when I try to, it says I need to be hooked up to xbox live
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #652
Kodos
Resident Alien

Michelle sure gets pissy if you have a major crash with her on a motorcycle. My cousin took flying off a cliff and drowning in the ocean much better.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #653
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
This game is like crack... I'm just now getting into the multiplayer so we will see how that goes. Money well spent.

No kidding. I have a nasty cold - the upside is that I will be playing this when I'm not in bed today.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #654
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I've been playing for like a week now on and off and am only 20% through. This game is ridiculously deep. I've just started some pigeon killing of late too.

I'm having a hell of a time finding those damn pigeons. Are you going around with the specific purpose of finding one, or just happen to see them while you're doing other stuff?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #655
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've never seen one.

I tried to jack the tanker that is docked in the harbor, but alas couldn't find a way to the control room.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-05-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #656
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I'm having a hell of a time finding those damn pigeons. Are you going around with the specific purpose of finding one, or just happen to see them while you're doing other stuff?

I'm having a hard time finding them as well. I've only found 2 so far, and it was by accident.

Edit: I've gone looking for them at "likely" places, and I haven't found any where I'd expect them to be.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-05-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #657
wade moore
lolzcat

I haven't paid any attention to the damn pigeons - guess I should start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #658
Phototropic
Mascot

Regarding pigeon locations:

Spoiler
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #659
spleen1015
Coordinator

I've only gotten 5 of them.

There is actually an in game map of where they are....

Spoiler
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #660
Kodos
Resident Alien

Outside of the fuzzy feeling of completion, is there any reason to bother looking for the pigeons? Seems like it may just be a pointless way to extend gametime...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #661
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Outside of the fuzzy feeling of completion, is there any reason to bother looking for the pigeons? Seems like it may just be a pointless way to extend gametime...

Past versions also gave you access to a fun weapon or other item when you collected enough packages. I think there will probably be bonuses for killing pigeons, but they aren't essential.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #662
Anthony
Banned

the pigeons thing seems more like something to do after completing the game. i wouldn't necessarily take time out of completing the storyline to go hunting down pigeons for what would probably be a different weapon. i just started using the cop car to hunt down the wanted criminals. that's fun, you're like a bounty hunter. i want to steal a cop car and park it in front of my safehouse so that i always have a cop car to use. the last one i had was put through as much hell as the car in the Blue Brothers movie, as i was going to locate this one guy it went on fire and blew up.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #663
spleen1015
Coordinator

Pigeon rewards

Spoiler
Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #664
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
the pigeons thing seems more like something to do after completing the game. i wouldn't necessarily take time out of completing the storyline to go hunting down pigeons for what would probably be a different weapon. i just started using the cop car to hunt down the wanted criminals. that's fun, you're like a bounty hunter. i want to steal a cop car and park it in front of my safehouse so that i always have a cop car to use. the last one i had was put through as much hell as the car in the Blue Brothers movie, as i was going to locate this one guy it went on fire and blew up.

This is what I did. Sadly, you must be in a cop car to hunt them down.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 AM   #665
Anthony
Banned

Secrets

Easy Money: Go to an ATM, then cause a traffic jam to the area. Wait for someone to take money from the ATM, then kill him or her. Block any nearby roads so the ambulance cannot get to the murdered victim. Take the money they dropped on the ground. Run a short distance and then go back. The money should have respawned on the ground. You can repeat this as many times as desired. You can also kill more people taking their money from the ATM to increase the amount of money that respawns.

Repairing Engine: If the vehicle you are driving breaks down and the engine will not start, call 911, and your engine should start again.

Last edited by Anthony : 05-05-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #666
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I thought about trying a car, but I had to go work a ballgame. I'll give that a try tonight.

Yeah, it was the 'driving at high speed' part that was getting me. Trying to stay close enough not to get the 'he got away' message, I was running into lampposts and stuff. Problem is, I don't think there are any cars REAL close to Firefly Island, so I'm wondering if I can even jack one before he gets too much of a lead on me for me to close it.
I just use the car I take from Faustin's place. Usually a high powered sports car.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #667
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Got my 360 back from being repaired today. I woke up a couple of hours ago and the DHL guy had just pulled into the driveway. Packed up the 'rented' one and tested out mine. Works great.

So now I have slapped my GTA IV skins on the 360 and have started the whole game over since my save was on the 'rented' hard drive and I don't have a memory card to transfer it over. The lovely wife even said, now you can play all day to catch back up to where you were, I'll go get pizza and everything (not sure if that last part was a joke or not, but I will find out later I guess). Nice to start the game knowing my way around a little.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #668
Logan
Head Coach

Maybe someone can give me a pointer or two, somewhat GTA related but more XBox Live...

When I got my 360 in August for NCAA, I got a year of XBL Gold with it. When I set up the system, I set up a standard profile for myself which is basically just my name (like here). I then tried to set up XBL a couple days later, entered my profile name, and it said it was already in use (by me) so I had to create another, which I did. I then played some NCAA online under that name for a week or so, at which point I moved in with some friends and all my head to head games were with them. Haven't even logged on to XBL since.

Fast forward to now...I'd like to give GTA's multiplayer a shot. Problem is I've always used that original profile name (my name) as the basic profile when playing games. So my "Logan" profile is what is automatically loaded for GTA. When I go to the cell phone and click multiplayer, I can't get in because that profile isn't set up for XBL. I then have to restart the 360 (with the tray open so it will go to the setup screen) and choose my XBL profile.

Honestly, I can get past this pain in the ass if I have to, but since one of the cool things about the game is being able to join a multiplayer game in the middle of a single-player mission once a friend jumps on, it would be cool to do this. Is there any way for me to switch my account to the other user name? Maybe if I go through Microsoft? Thanks for any help, especially when a simple question took 3 paragraphs to explain.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #669
billethius
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Maybe someone can give me a pointer or two, somewhat GTA related but more XBox Live...

When I got my 360 in August for NCAA, I got a year of XBL Gold with it. When I set up the system, I set up a standard profile for myself which is basically just my name (like here). I then tried to set up XBL a couple days later, entered my profile name, and it said it was already in use (by me) so I had to create another, which I did. I then played some NCAA online under that name for a week or so, at which point I moved in with some friends and all my head to head games were with them. Haven't even logged on to XBL since.

Fast forward to now...I'd like to give GTA's multiplayer a shot. Problem is I've always used that original profile name (my name) as the basic profile when playing games. So my "Logan" profile is what is automatically loaded for GTA. When I go to the cell phone and click multiplayer, I can't get in because that profile isn't set up for XBL. I then have to restart the 360 (with the tray open so it will go to the setup screen) and choose my XBL profile.

Honestly, I can get past this pain in the ass if I have to, but since one of the cool things about the game is being able to join a multiplayer game in the middle of a single-player mission once a friend jumps on, it would be cool to do this. Is there any way for me to switch my account to the other user name? Maybe if I go through Microsoft? Thanks for any help, especially when a simple question took 3 paragraphs to explain.

I haven't tried to do this in GTA, but you should be able to switch profiles by hitting the xbox guide button (big X right in the center of the controller) and then hitting the appropriate buttons (there should be a legend on the bottom of the screen that comes up).
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #670
Logan
Head Coach

That's a great point...totally forgot about that. I wonder if it will then reload a new game (since there's nothing on that profile). I'll give it a shot, thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #671
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I have a couple of questions about multiplayer on the 360.

1) Is there a site that would tell me how many people are currently playing a particular mode?

2) Can I join a game in progress? Freemode seems to be the only mode that doesn't have me in a lobby waiting for people to join.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #672
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I swear to fucking god that this game is affecting me mentally. I told a family at El Taco Tote: "You keep fucking eyeballing me, I will FUCK YOU UP."

Longer story, mostly dealing with them being idiots, but you get the jist of it.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #673
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I swear to fucking god that this game is affecting me mentally. I told a family at El Taco Tote: "You keep fucking eyeballing me, I will FUCK YOU UP."

Longer story, mostly dealing with them being idiots, but you get the jist of it.

You think you have it bad? I know HA and other NYC people can attest to this...it is impossible to walk/drive around the city right now and not have the urge to carjack people or run over pedestrians. I realized it when I was in a cab Saturday night and saw a cop car slowly crawling down the FDR approach at GTA-cop-speed.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #674
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You think you have it bad? I know HA and other NYC people can attest to this...it is impossible to walk/drive around the city right now and not have the urge to carjack people or run over pedestrians. I realized it when I was in a cab Saturday night and saw a cop car slowly crawling down the FDR approach at GTA-cop-speed.

So true.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #675
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Oh? It seems when I try to, it says I need to be hooked up to xbox live

Kinda confused. I don't really know what you're trying to do. You definitely need to have and be connected to XBL to play with other people online. But there are a lot of modes (if not all?) that allow you to go on if your playing alone (meaning you don't need to be with a buddy.)
Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #676
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Patch 1.01 is available. Supposed to fix freezing problems on both consoles.

Edit: Fix is for PS3 only. No 360 fix is available yet.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-07-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #677
Flasch186
Coordinator

any other changes?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #678
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
any other changes?

Actually, it appears that this fix only addresses the PS3 issue. No patch is available for 360 version yet...........

Quote:
Rockstar Games has released a GTA IV patch for Playstation 3 today that prevents Gamespy’s servers from being overloaded and therefore reduces the impact on those servers that were causing the game to stutter and lock up. We continue to monitor the performance of the game both on and offline and will provide further updates as necessary. We want to assure everyone that, together with our hardware partners, we continue to strive to give our fans the best possible interactive entertainment experiences possible. This update will ensure that everyone will experience Grand Theft Auto IV the way it was intended. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #679
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I've never seen one.

I tried to jack the tanker that is docked in the harbor, but alas couldn't find a way to the control room.

I spent 3 hours last night with the sole purpose of trying to find a great place to snipe people. I found a pinch on the highway and if you only take one shot you could wait a few minutes for the ambulance to leave with your gun pointed at the next victim!!!

I will say this is my first shooter type game and I am having way too much fun. I thought about running an old woman off the road today on my to work today.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #680
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Kinda confused. I don't really know what you're trying to do. You definitely need to have and be connected to XBL to play with other people online. But there are a lot of modes (if not all?) that allow you to go on if your playing alone (meaning you don't need to be with a buddy.)

I dont have it connected to xbl. When I go to select multiplayer, I'm not allowed into it at all. Obviously I wouldn't be playing online with anyone else, but it would be nice to play in a free stand alone game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #681
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
I spent 3 hours last night with the sole purpose of trying to find a great place to snipe people. I found a pinch on the highway and if you only take one shot you could wait a few minutes for the ambulance to leave with your gun pointed at the next victim!!!

I will say this is my first shooter type game and I am having way too much fun. I thought about running an old woman off the road today on my to work today.

Oh no my friend. You need to get a helicopter and all the sniper rounds you can. You then land on a building with no access from the ground and go nuts. Grenades help too.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #682
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Posted this in the other thread, but it belongs in here as well. GTA IV has sold over 6 million copies in the first week for over 500 million dollars:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190520...stnews;title;0

Also, the PS3 patch apparently "reduces server loads and prevents Gamespy's servers from being overloaded" which is being blamed for the freezing problems in the game:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190539...stnews;title;3
Old 05-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #683
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Damn you now I have to say my line about Maximum Football again!

Here it goes...

The largest ever? Clearly they left out Maximum Football to be able to claim that.

Just isn't funny the second time............
Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #684
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Damn you now I have to say my line about Maximum Football again!

Here it goes...

The largest ever? Clearly they left out Maximum Football to be able to claim that.

Just isn't funny the second time............

Or the first.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #685
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I dont have it connected to xbl. When I go to select multiplayer, I'm not allowed into it at all. Obviously I wouldn't be playing online with anyone else, but it would be nice to play in a free stand alone game

Ahhh okay I gotcha. I'm with ya there...right now I save and then go on rampages and revert back, but it would be nice to have a free mode to just go crazy by yourself.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #686
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Or the first.

It was, but then it got ruined. Trust me, it was.

And if you believe that you will believe this, it was an original joke as well.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #687
Radii
Head Coach

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOo. YOU WON. Well, I won. Single player story completed. This is by far my favorite GTA ever.

The storyline may not be oscar worthy, but there are some decisions later in the game where I get asked to make a decision and I pause the game and actually think about what I want to do and reason out my decision based on the game story and my thoughts about each character. That's an excellent level of immersion to reach in a game like this.

Stat spoilers, not any specific mission/storyline spoilers:

Spoiler
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #688
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Oh no my friend. You need to get a helicopter and all the sniper rounds you can. You then land on a building with no access from the ground and go nuts. Grenades help too.

Thanks that was a blast!!! The clean head shot is a thing of beauty!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #689
hawk4669
High School JV

I just finished "Three Leaf Clover" today. What a bitch of a mission, but how much fun was that? lol

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #690
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
I just finished "Three Leaf Clover" today. What a bitch of a mission, but how much fun was that? lol

Cheers!

This mission is absolutely killing me. I can get to the train station and that's it. Jeez!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #691
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post

Cheers!

Loved that mission. Just finished the story about an hour ago. 67% completed.

Also, I ran into a pretty significant glitch. The spoiler only reveals an event that one of the characters goes though (not a death or a shocking moment).

Spoiler
Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #692
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Loved that mission. Just finished the story about an hour ago. 67% completed.

Also, I ran into a pretty significant glitch. The spoiler only reveals an event that one of the characters goes though (not a death or a shocking moment).

Spoiler

I was really worried about something like that, I was super anal about it in my game.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #693
hawk4669
High School JV

Spoiler

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #694
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Somebody in this thread made a post (that I can't find via search) about the cell phone being impossible to read because it was so dark. Was there a fix to that issue? Mrs. Leafs is having the exact same problem, even with all the display options turned up as bright as they can go.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #695
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Somebody in this thread made a post (that I can't find via search) about the cell phone being impossible to read because it was so dark. Was there a fix to that issue? Mrs. Leafs is having the exact same problem, even with all the display options turned up as bright as they can go.

You can change the text to a bigger size, not sure if that will help or not.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #696
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there a site out there that will tell you what the alternative to the options you made are? For instance in the missions where you have to choose who to kill, I'm wondering what would have happened if I killed the other guy.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #697
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Just google the options and you will be sure to find the results for each choice. That or the board for GTA IV at gamefaqs.com will probably have what you are looking for.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #698
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is there a site out there that will tell you what the alternative to the options you made are? For instance in the missions where you have to choose who to kill, I'm wondering what would have happened if I killed the other guy.

I know the answer to a few of them if you want to PM me the ones you're on or curious about and don't want to see any other decision spoilers by accident.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #699
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Has anyone tried the multiplayer mode "Deathmatch"?

From what I've seen, this is some funny stuff.

The ragdoll physics, to the phrases to let you know how your player was
"eliminated".

I'm on the Xbox site as "Todd51071"
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #700
Eilim
High School Varsity

Just starting to explore the second island at the moment. Keep getting sidetracked from the storyline due to the fun of random acts of violence and carnage.

If anyone is ever up for causing carnage as an FOFC crew in free for all, feel free to look me up. Gamertag is "Uafasach420"
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote