Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #651
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Roy O going yard!

Yeah, it's a good thing we got Chacon from the Yanks for Craig Wilson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
"Very little to say," manager Jim Tracy offered in opening his postgame comments. "We didn't pitch well, obviously, and the game got away early."

He paused.

"How many home runs did they hit?"

Six, he was reminded.

"Six," he repeated with a sigh. "It was one of those nights."

Are you kidding me? Jim, your team just got embarrassed, and this is all you have to say? How about a little passion, Jim? How about showing us that you care how well your team performs? You spout all sorts of nonsense about how this team needs to develop a winning attitude, but where's the leadership for that since it's obviously not coming from you.

I hate Jim Tracy.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #652
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
Yeah, it's a good thing we got Chacon from the Yanks for Craig Wilson.

Are you kidding me? Jim, your team just got embarrassed, and this is all you have to say? How about a little passion, Jim? How about showing us that you care how well your team performs? You spout all sorts of nonsense about how this team needs to develop a winning attitude, but where's the leadership for that since it's obviously not coming from you.

I hate Jim Tracy.

You want him to go all Hal McRae don't ya?

I just saw that rant again recently and it is still a classic
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-10-2006 at 05:31 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #653
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Hey, if your team can't be entertaining at least do something that is.

Seriously, though, I don't want Tracy to go crazy and get thrown out of games left and right. But I would love to see some emotion from him. Anything. You should be chewing some ass after you lose 14-1 and give up six home runs, including a two run shot by the opposing pitcher, not sitting around sounding like you've given up on the season.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #654
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

WOO!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-10-2006 at 10:04 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:59 AM   #655
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

WOO!

SI
""

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #656
Butter
Coordinator

Jeebs, I hate to tell you this, but your Astros just aren't going to make it this year. Frankly, I don't think my Reds are either, as they've been fading for over a month now.

I think it's going to be the top 2 from the West to make it to the playoffs.

Last edited by Butter : 08-11-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #657
JeeberD
General Manager

Blasphemy!

First of all, I could see us catching up to the Cards. We still have like eight games coming up against them, so there's still plenty to be decided there.

Second, the offense is finally starting to click. We've won three series in a row...two of those against the contenders from the NL West. Huff has broken out of his slump, Ensberg is healthy again, and Berkman is almost 100% again. The only thing I see that could potentially hold us back is the bullpen. Lidge is a mystery...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #658
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Will this Cubs/Astros game ever end?

17th inning.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #659
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Will this Cubs/Astros game ever end?

17th inning.
Neq, how 'bout the Cubs showing a little life?? Ryan O'Malley dominated today. All these young pitchers are making me forget about Prior and Wood!
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #660
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

It's nice to see them salvage what has been an easily forgettable season. It's annoying though to see the guys suck it up once it counts, and then when the pressure is off to start playing well (ie Pierre.)

I do enjoy watching the young guys though, it is about that time to give up on the Prior/Wood combination and get some fresh new blood in there.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #661
kingfc22
Head Coach

Bonds loves Chan Ho Park.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:03 AM   #662
kingfc22
Head Coach

F U Armando. F U!

I can't believe we keep putting this guy out there.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #663
Butter
Coordinator

The Reds picked up Scott Schoeneweis yesterday, giving them 62 left handers in the bullpen.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #664
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Who dug Fernando Tatis up? He just homered for the Orioles against the Yankees!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #665
molson
General Manager

Red Sox acquire Eric Hinske - who I haven't really noticed in 5 years. What happened to him?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #666
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
Red Sox acquire Eric Hinske - who I haven't really noticed in 5 years. What happened to him?
Here was never that impressive in the RWBL http://knad.dangarion.com/players/h/hinskeeric497.html
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #667
Ksyrup

When I looked at the in-game box score of the Yankees game and noticed they had 2 errors, I figured 1 of them must have been A-Rod's. And sure enough, it was. Now I see that they changed the error to Jeter. Apparently he and A-Rod collided. I haven't seen the play - was this legitimately Jeter's error, or did he take one for the team to spare A-Rod yet another error?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #668
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ok after 2.5 games this weekend, it's clear that neither the Yankees or Red Sox can pitch so can we please stop hearing about the Yankees/Sox series already because either team will flame out in the postseason.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #669
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Ok after 2.5 games this weekend, it's clear that neither the Yankees or Red Sox can pitch so can we please stop hearing about the Yankees/Sox series already because either team will flame out in the postseason.

Yep, plus I really think these two teams are overdue for a good fight or something. Anything to make this series interesting again. It seems like they could play 100 times without finishing a game in less than 3 1/2 hours. Last night was an absolute abomination of a "baseball" game. Twins/Sox is the most compelling series of the weekend.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:32 AM   #670
Terps
College Prospect

Mariners traded Jamie Moyer to Philly for a couple of minor leaguers.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:36 AM   #671
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
Mariners traded Jamie Moyer to Philly for a couple of minor leaguers.

Gotta love it, as Philly realizes "hmm, maybe we shouldn't have thrown Lidle into the Abreu trade so it didn't appear to be the salary dump it was."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #672
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs
Yep, plus I really think these two teams are overdue for a good fight or something. Anything to make this series interesting again. It seems like they could play 100 times without finishing a game in less than 3 1/2 hours. Last night was an absolute abomination of a "baseball" game. Twins/Sox is the most compelling series of the weekend.

Even if it were a 1-0 game, it would take 3 1/2 hours to get through. It's a pair of teams who sit there and preen each time they get into the batter's box. Half of those guys take 30 seconds just to get set for each pitch while they're showing off how important they are.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-20-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #673
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
When I looked at the in-game box score of the Yankees game and noticed they had 2 errors, I figured 1 of them must have been A-Rod's. And sure enough, it was. Now I see that they changed the error to Jeter. Apparently he and A-Rod collided. I haven't seen the play - was this legitimately Jeter's error, or did he take one for the team to spare A-Rod yet another error?

I saw this a couple of days ago... it seemed like ARod called for it, and Jeter ran into him.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:36 AM   #674
Butter
Coordinator

The Reds with an impressive comeback, and Scott "lefty #8" Schoeneweis whiffs Berkman and some other schlub to slam the door.

Playoff-bound or not, the Reds have had some exciting comebacks this year.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #675
Ksyrup

Nice bounce-back for the Tigers, now they just need to sustain it for a few games in a row. If they can keep their lead at 6-8 games after the stretch they've gone through, it'll pretty much be over. I think their September schedule is much easier.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-22-2006 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #676
Ksyrup

What is it about Neifi Perez that blinds baseball people to what an awful player he really is? I just don't get it!

Tigers managed Jim Leyland said he plans to use Neifi Perez over Omar Infante at second base for now.

"I loved him in 1999 (with the Colorado Rockies) and I still love him," Leyland said. "He's got energy." If that's all it takes, maybe Richard Simmons can be signed to take over in left field. Even as a regular, Perez would have little value in AL-only leagues.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #677
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

To be fair, Infante is no Rey Sanchez with the bat.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #678
korme
Go Reds

Watch out St. Louis!

CIN 2ND - Brandon Phillips homers (13) on a fly ball to center field. CIN 1-0

CIN 2ND - Scott Hatteberg homers (13) on a fly ball to center field. Kyle Lohse scores. Ryan Freel scores. CIN 4-0

CIN 3RD - David Ross doubles (12) on a line drive to center fielder Willy Taveras. Adam Dunn scores. Rich Aurilia to 3rd. CIN 5-0

CIN 3RD - Brandon Phillips singles on a fly ball to right fielder Lance Berkman. Rich Aurilia scores. David Ross to 3rd. CIN 6-0

CIN 3RD - Kyle Lohse singles on a bunt ground ball to second baseman Craig Biggio. David Ross scores. Brandon Phillips out at 3rd, shortstop Chris Burke to third baseman Aubrey Huff. CIN 7-0

CIN 3RD - Edwin Encarnacion singles on a ground ball to left fielder Luke Scott. Kyle Lohse scores. Scott Hatteberg scores. Ken GriffeyJr. to 2nd. CIN 9-0

CIN 3RD - Adam Dunn homers (38) on a fly ball to right field. Ken GriffeyJr. scores. Edwin Encarnacion scores. CIN 12-0

12-0 Reds over Stros after 3.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #679
JS19
College Prospect

Pujols is just amazing. 2 HR's already against the Mets for 7 RBI. This guy really deserves the Bonds treatment of a few yrs ago.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:28 PM   #680
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is it about Neifi Perez that blinds baseball people to what an awful player he really is? I just don't get it!

Tigers managed Jim Leyland said he plans to use Neifi Perez over Omar Infante at second base for now.

"I loved him in 1999 (with the Colorado Rockies) and I still love him," Leyland said. "He's got energy." If that's all it takes, maybe Richard Simmons can be signed to take over in left field. Even as a regular, Perez would have little value in AL-only leagues.

If you ask anyone in KC, they hate him, so at least we have that going for us

SI

Old 08-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #681
Butter
Coordinator

And the Cards still lose 8-7, putting me to bed happy. 1 game back, and the pitching seems to be turning a corner... I'm getting excited about the Reds. Somebody bring me back to Earth.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #682
Butter
Coordinator

Freakin' bullpen!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #683
Ksyrup

Headline for ESPN's preview of tonight's Sox/Tigers game:

Tigers can complete series sweep of White Sox

Does that mean if Detroit wins tonight, the Sox are going to forfeit tomorrow's game?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #684
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Headline for ESPN's preview of tonight's Sox/Tigers game:

Tigers can complete series sweep of White Sox

Does that mean if Detroit wins tonight, the Sox are going to forfeit tomorrow's game?

Ozzie won't take a loss standing down.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #685
Ksyrup

Regarding the Royals' collapse last night:

"It was only the second time in major league history that a team scored 10 runs in the first inning and lost; the other time came in 1989, when the Pirates blew a lead against the Phillies."

IIRC, that Phillies/Pirates game is the one where Jim Rooker said he'd walk back to Pittsburgh is the Pirates lost, which they did. I think he ended up doing the walk for charity that off-season.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #686
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Regarding the Royals' collapse last night:

"It was only the second time in major league history that a team scored 10 runs in the first inning and lost; the other time came in 1989, when the Pirates blew a lead against the Phillies."

IIRC, that Phillies/Pirates game is the one where Jim Rooker said he'd walk back to Pittsburgh is the Pirates lost, which they did. I think he ended up doing the walk for charity that off-season.
I was living in Philly at the time, and remember that quite well.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #687
watravaler
High School JV

Jermaine Dye and Joe Crede have been amazing this season. Dye just hit his 36h and 37th homers of the season to go along with a .325 average. Crede continues to play gold-glove defense and hit for power and average. Konerko and Thome get the media praise, but these two have been carrying the Sox for a while.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #688
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Since I really didn't want to talk about the Royals game last night, I bring this gem. Tho it was so ludicrous it was kindof numbing- like a bad dream, it just didn't really happen. Say what will, it's not like it'll happen again so it just wasn't as crushing as a 4-3 loss where a closer gives up 4 in the 9th or that kind of thing.

Albert Belle gets 3 months in jail, probation
August 24, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- Former major league slugger Albert Belle was sentenced to three months in jail and five years of supervised probation Thursday for stalking his ex-girlfriend.

The 39-year-old Belle pleaded guilty in July to one felony stalking count. He had initially been arrested and charged in February, then rearrested May 17 at his Scottsdale home after he again contacted the victim. He has been jailed since the second arrest, and received credit for time served only since he entered his plea.

Superior Court Judge James Keppel warned Belle that if he contacts the victim again he will go to prison.

Belle's former girlfriend told police in January that she discovered a Global Positioning System tracking device that had fallen off her car and that Belle had threatened her.

The volatile Belle often ran into trouble on and off the field during his playing days.

A five-time All-Star outfielder, Belle hit 381 home runs in a 12-year career that began in 1989 with the Cleveland Indians.

He also played for the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore before retiring in 2000 after his second season with the Orioles.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 AM   #689
korme
Go Reds

David Ross' 8th inning homer puts us on top of the Giants and we never look back, and now we are tied for 1st in the Central!

Speaking of Ross, what an aquisition. I was never a big fan of him when he was in LA, but check this out: .284, 17 HR, 43 RBI, 1.030 OPS in just 176 AB (just recently supplanted LaRue for the starting role). Project his totals to about 500 ABs as a full-time starter for a full year, that's .284, 49 HR, 122 RBI. Pretty impressive.

Last edited by korme : 08-25-2006 at 02:04 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #690
Butter
Coordinator

The whole lineup has been good this year... Phillips has been a great pickup, Aurilia has over-performed, Hatteberg has exceeded expectations... just not an easy out in the lineup, unless Larue or Valentin is catching.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 AM   #691
Ksyrup

I am really happy to see David Ross doing well. He is from the Tallahassee area (Georgia side) and is married to the best friend of a secretary at my former firm. She and I used to talk about his bouncing around the majors all the time (she'd know 24-48 hours before it was announced, of course). I remember joking with her that last year, his big Sportscenter moment was his flyball against the Mets (he was with SD, I think) in which Mike Cameron hurt himself. Now look at him.

If they go far, I'm thinking of hitting her up for some tickets. She offered before, and now that I just happen to live an hour south of Cincy, this works out beautifully for me!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #692
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I completely missed this when it happened a few nights ago and no Brewers fans (do we have any here?) brought it up, but I'm tickled to death by Tomo Ohka's left-handed day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Tomo Ohka told Ned Yost he was planning to hit left-handed for the first time.

"I thought, `Man, as bad as you're swinging, just do whatever you want,"' the Milwaukee manager said. "Four RBIs later, he had a nice day."

Ohka drove in a career-high four runs and Prince Fielder hit a three-run homer as Milwaukee beat Colorado 12-6 Thursday and extended the Rockies' losing streak to six.

"It's just one game," Ohka said. "But I'm going to keep doing that."

Ohka (4-3), a right-handed pitcher, drove in runs in his three plate appearances. After swinging for the fences on the first pitch of his first at-bat and doing a pirouette, he hit the mitt of catcher Danny Ardoin on his next swing, and Geoff Jenkins scored on the catcher's interference.

"I was so glad he hit the catcher's glove his first time up," Yost said. "I was just hoping that he wouldn't hit the ball because I figured he'd hit into a double play, so I was just actually just hoping he would strike out there."

Ohka, who has been tinkering with swinging left-handed in batting practice, had a two-run single in the third, a slow roller on an 0-2 count that got past shortstop Clint Barmes and put the Brewers ahead 7-0. Ohka added an RBI single to center in the fifth for an 8-3 lead.

Hitting right-handed, Ohka is a .130 batter in his career (30-for-230) with 11 RBIs. He raised his batting average on the season from .087 to .160.

"I just tried to hit it up the middle," Ohka said.

Rockies manager Clint Hurdle praised Ohka's effort to make himself more comfortable at the plate.

"Give him a little credit," Hurdle said. "He's doing it for a reason: He thinks he's better."

I love that!

SI

Old 08-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #693
JS19
College Prospect

A rather bizarre play/call during the Mets game today. Runners on 1st and 3rd, David Wright hits a ground ball down the line. The ball is right next to 3rd base and all of a sudden takes an awkward bounce and shoots off to foul territory. 3rd base ump called it foul, Randolph comes out to argue that the ball hit the bag, the umps have a little conference and award Wright an RBI single. I've seen HR calls reversed before, but never have I seen a ground ball called foul be overturned.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 AM   #694
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb.com
HOUSTON -- Roy Oswalt rang in his 29th birthday on Tuesday with the best gift imaginable -- a nice fat contract that probably ensures he will end his career as a Houston Astro.

Following the right-hander's start against the Brewers, whom Houston beat, 10-3, the Astros announced they inked their ace right-hander to a five-year contract, with an option for a sixth year. The contract, unprecedented for a Houston pitcher, is worth $73 million, but Oswalt could make as much as $87 million should the club pick up the option year.

Oswalt will be paid $13 million in 2007 and '08, $14 million in '09, $15 million in 2010 and $16 million in 2011. The club can either exercise a $2 million buyout after '11, or pick up the $16 million club option for 2012.

Oswalt also received a full no-trade clause, and he'll donate $100,000 per season for the length of the contract to the Astros in Action Foundation.

I don't know about ending his career as an Astro as the article claims- it'll only put him at 36 or 37 when it's over. That said, this is about as automatic a decision as they come. $15M per for a guy who's been consistent, fairly healthy, and a good pitcher. He's the type of guy that people are talking about when they say "if only our team had a #1 starter" and now the Astros locked him up for 5, possibly 6 years at a reasonable cost for his quality.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-30-2006 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:01 AM   #695
Ksyrup

Perfect example of journalists blowing smoke up our asses about how the trade talks upset him and questioning whether he would resign.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:56 AM   #696
Ksyrup

Given the ongoing saga with Carl Pavano - frequent injuries, hasn't pitched all year, broke ribs in a car accident that he failed to disclose to the Yankees, and now he's complaining of shoulder pain - I have to wonder whether the following closing line in an SI article about his shoulder pain was purposely written this way to summarize the Yankees' feelings about him:

"Pavano has complained of a variety of ailments this year, including a pain in the buttocks."
Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 AM   #697
Ksyrup

Apparently Jon Lester is undergoing tests for an undetermined illness, and one possibility is cancer. Yikes. I hadn't heard about this at all until I saw Buster Olney's blog this morning. I knew he went on the DL, but not for something like this.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #698
kingfc22
Head Coach

No hitter in Florida. Thought the shortstop almost took too long and Byrnes almost beat out that last play.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #699
miami_fan
Coordinator

Francisco Liriano has left today's game in the third inning with arm troubles again.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #700
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Francisco Liriano has left today's game in the third inning with arm troubles again.

Can't say I'm too surprised by this - you look at his delivery and it just screams "INJURY!"...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote