Old 11-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #651
spleen1015
Coordinator

Has anyone found the No-CD exe yet?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #652
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Domination (certain % of land and population), Cultural (3 cities over 50,000 culture, I think), Diplomatic (UN Victory), and Conquest (take the whole son of a bitch), IIRC.

Of course if you have Domination AND Conquest actively, you'll never win by Conquest, as Domination victory will come sooner .
Old 11-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #653
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015

You can get in trouble talking about things like that....

None out yet. I've been looking.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #654
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
You can get in trouble talking about things like that....

None out yet. I've been looking.
Y'know, maybe I should be harder on no-CD exe's, but that's in a different category as far as I'm concerned. It annoys the living daylights out of me that I have to have the CD in to play a game. Sometimes I have evening meetings at my office, and it would be a great time to just stay here and play for a little while rather than go home, tool around for 45 minutes, and come back, but I have to have the stupid CD to play the game more and more these days. Very annoying. By NO means do I want FOFC in any, way, shape or form to be seen as condoning hacking, but, right or wrong, I have a very hard time viewing someone who has BOUGHT the game as doing anything wrong when they use a no-CD exe.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #655
KWhit
Coordinator

Maybe you should concentrate on IHOF while waiting around for your meetings.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #656
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Y'know, maybe I should be harder on no-CD exe's, but that's in a different category as far as I'm concerned. It annoys the living daylights out of me that I have to have the CD in to play a game. Sometimes I have evening meetings at my office, and it would be a great time to just stay here and play for a little while rather than go home, tool around for 45 minutes, and come back, but I have to have the stupid CD to play the game more and more these days. Very annoying. By NO means do I want FOFC in any, way, shape or form to be seen as condoning hacking, but, right or wrong, I have a very hard time viewing someone who has BOUGHT the game as doing anything wrong when they use a no-CD exe.

at the risk of sending a long thread into a longer tangent, I have a hard time seeing where there'd be an issue with no-cd patches. I use them for every game that I install, and if by some chance there is not a nocd patch out there (like for later versions of RTW), I usually wont bother playing the game.
It's not only just a matter of swapping CDs, or carting CDs to work with my laptop: CD checks can also slow down the game, which makes me insane. I bought the damn game, let me play the frigging thing the right way.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #657
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and, not really surprisingly, Outpost cancelled my Civ IV order.

oh well.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #658
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

That sucks.

They haven't gotten around to telling me yet.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #659
Radii
Head Coach

I ordered my copy from EBGames.com yesterday. A few bucks more than elsewhere probably but I had a gift certificate there that I got for my birthday last week. Thanks for Civ4 mom and dad!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #660
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

I completely agree. I can't stand having to have the disk in my computer to play a game that I've bought.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #661
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I completely agree. I can't stand having to have the disk in my computer to play a game that I've bought.
Agreed. No CD Patch isn't out yet, as far as I can tell. There is a no intro fix out right now.

Last edited by gi : 11-01-2005 at 02:05 PM.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #662
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I decided to check on my order at outpost.com; it's showing "partial backorder", but it's not canceled yet.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #663
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Eerie...my Seinfeld DVD that I bought today displayed a "failed to entertain RendeR" message when I tried to view it....
I resemble that remark....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #664
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

this guy wants to know how is AI

Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #665
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I have to express how much I am loving this game!

The Battle of Thermoplye was fought again, this time against the Huns, and it saved my empire. A single brave phalanx, backed up by a corps of longbowmen held the city againt wave after wave of hun horse archers and swordsmen. Eventually, we were able to move into their lands, destroying everything in our path. Soon they sued for peace.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #666
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Me as well. I was without my PC for most of December and January, very nice to get back in it.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #667
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Best Buy will have Civilization IV for $29.99 on April 9-April 15
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #668
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Has anyone had any luck with the Direct IP multiplayer? Me and a friend want to get a game going, but keep getting a "timed out" message. Firewalls off, got the right IP and everything.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #669
Celeval
Pro Starter

My wife and I have used Direct IP a good bit and not had too many problems.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #670
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Best Buy will have Civilization IV for $29.99 on April 9-April 15

Last day is today.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #671
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Awesome game.

I find it better not to have workers on automatic. Its always best to do it yourself. And best to control what citzen you want on your squares in your city.

If you have workers on automatic they tend to do a lot of cottage.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #672
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984
Has anyone had any luck with the Direct IP multiplayer? Me and a friend want to get a game going, but keep getting a "timed out" message. Firewalls off, got the right IP and everything.

If one of you have a router, the router can cause that problem - try having the person without a router host, or I think it's on civfanatics (link on official civ site too).. on their forums, they have a list of the ports you need to open on your router to play.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #673
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
If one of you have a router, the router can cause that problem - try having the person without a router host, or I think it's on civfanatics (link on official civ site too).. on their forums, they have a list of the ports you need to open on your router to play.

You can also setup port forwarding on the router too.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #674
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution

We both have routers- my friend looked up it, talked to some people- and found out how to open the correct ports, and set everything up. We got it running, and I must say it is a lot of fun.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #675
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, this is annoying. caught the AI cheating tonight. Was almost done The Sistine Chapel, so I traded Theology to Napoleon. The very next turn, he'd completed it.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #676
henry296
College Starter

Did he have a Great Engineer that he could use to rush the Sistine Chapel?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #677
Franklinnoble
Banned

Henry's got a point.... that sounds like something I would do.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #678
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Henry's got a point.... that sounds like something I would do.

Same here .
Old 05-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #679
Asurbanipal
n00b

Diplomatic issue...

Im not exactly a noob but ive always ignored the Diplomatic victory condition...
now im going for it BUT...

ive been elected UN Secret
How can i call for a vote on some issue?? i have to wait till the voting atomatically starts?

PLEASE some help
thx
Asurbanipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #680
Celeval
Pro Starter

Every few (3?) turns, it'll give you the option to call a vote. You can't kick it off when you want.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #681
Celeval
Pro Starter

As long as the thread is bumped... good preview for Warlords:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/707/707377p1.html
Old 05-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #682
Asurbanipal
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Every few (3?) turns, it'll give you the option to call a vote. You can't kick it off when you want.

Thx Celeval!
Asurbanipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #683
Franklinnoble
Banned

http://www.digitalstadium.org/smf/in...sg1786#msg1786

In case anyone is wondering...
Old 05-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #684
rdomico
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015

I've been using Game Jackal (hxxp://www.gamejackal.com/) to play Civ 4 without a CD. You get 250 free uses and I think it only costs like $10 to buy.
rdomico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #685
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Just put the cd in when you play. It only takes a few seconds to do it.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #686
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Just put the cd in when you play. It only takes a few seconds to do it.

It's a pain when you're playing on a laptop.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #687
Yossarian
High School Varsity

I burned a copy of mine to my hard drive and I mount it as a virtual drive using daemon tools (and hide daemon tools with sd4hide).

Takes up X mb but saves me from messing around with nocd cracks and preserves my original cd (which I needed to dig out when I deleted my iso (doh))
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:53 PM   #688
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
I burned a copy of mine to my hard drive and I mount it as a virtual drive using daemon tools (and hide daemon tools with sd4hide).

Takes up X mb but saves me from messing around with nocd cracks and preserves my original cd (which I needed to dig out when I deleted my iso (doh))

You can download the CD mini image from gameburnworld, and use daemon tools/sd4hide. Then you don't need to take up as much HD space.

Last edited by Samdari : 05-15-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #689
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
You can download the CD mini image from gameburnworld, and use daemon tools/sd4hide. Then you don't need to take up as much HD space.
Seconded - this method has worked for me for many months with no problems.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #690
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Anyway, just a reminder... Warlords is out on the 28th. Oh, and all the new Civs, their leaders (plus some for existing Civs), those leaders' traits, new gameplay 'stuff', and scenarios have been out for a quite a while.

Just a public service announcement .
Old 07-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #691
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Imran, have they started developing true (event-driven) scenarios yet? All I see in a quick glance are mods and maps but nothing like what we've seen in the Scenario League.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #692
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Imran, have they started developing true (event-driven) scenarios yet? All I see in a quick glance are mods and maps but nothing like what we've seen in the Scenario League.

Damned if I know. I like the new civs, leaders, UU's, and unique buildings. I'd like the Warlords addition, but I'm not a warmonger .

Though I think Omen scenario may be 'event driven'. I'm not sure.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:23 PM   #693
Buccaneer
Head Coach

According the previews, they mentioned such scenarios 'as only Firaxis can develop'. Maybe the SDK is too intimidating, I don't know. Python, I thought, was supposed to be the scripting language. But like you, I like the new civs, leaders, UUs and UBs.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #694
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For the Bucc man:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/719/719278p1.html

Chinese Unification, 450 BC

Quote:
If you can't win your enemies over with the sword, you can achieve victory in a number of other ways. First, you can try spreading your bloodline around the map. Using the same concepts as the core game's religious system, players can send their emissaries out to gain influence with their rivals. If you manage to get someone from your family on the throne (which works along the same lines as getting someone to adopt your religion), you'll gain lots of favor.

Making friends is just as important as smashing your enemies. When the Emperor's Council wonder is built, the warring civilizations will vote for its leader who can then call for a vote to determine the winner of the game. If you emissaries have spread far enough, if you've been fair in your trading and if you have enough vassals, you'll definitely have a shot at a relatively bloodless victory.

The Peloponnesian War, 444 BC

Quote:

The two factions have unique strengths. The Athenians, led by Pericles (Financial, Philosophical), have a mighty navy and a solid economy. Unfortunately, their empire is spread across a variety of islands, requiring them to focus on maintain control of the sea at all times. The Spartans are exactly the opposite. Led by King Archidamus II (Aggressive, Philosophical), the Spartans have a massive land army and few overseas possessions. Getting your rival to fight the war your way is one of the biggest challenges of the scenario.

Rather than giving you direct control of each alliance, the two leaders here have their own vassals. Managing their security and relations is every bit as important as creating and moving your own armies.

Alexander the Great 336 BC

Quote:
Alexander will be leading a variety of unique units, each of which serves a different purpose. The hypaspists make excellent anti-cavalry troops, the prodromoi serve as excellent scouts, and the heavy cavalry hetairoi form the main weight of any assault. Alexander has access to a wide variety of technologies that open up new promotions for your units.

You'll also need to take control of the Alexander warlord unit. After joining him to an existing unit, you'll need to take care in how you use him. He needs to be in the forefront of the battle but you'll also need to protect him from harm. Even if the unit he's attached to is destroyed, he'll merely be removed from action for a few turns before coming back into the action.

The Rise of Rome 300 BC

Quote:
Interestingly, the leaders in this scenario each have three traits instead of the usual two. This gives them a little more variety than they have in the core game. It's a nice advantage that your leader has more options but it definitely makes your enemies a little more versatile as well.

Quote:
Though you can win by eliminating your rivals or obtaining control over 75% of the world's population and land area, the real focus here is control of five separate victory locations. Each civilization begins owning one of these and they'll put up a hell of a fight before they let another civilization take it.

Age of the Vikings 800AD

Quote:
Though burning towns and making widows is all well and good, the whole point of this scenario is to make money. The amount you'll need to amass by the time the 200-turn limit expires varies according to your difficulty level. There are two main ways to make gold here. The first and most obvious route is to sack the hell out of every town within a day's rowing. The real payoff comes when you offer to ransom a city back to the nation that originally owned it. They'll pay a pretty farthing to get their towns back. The only hitch is that you can't ever repeat this stunt on the same city or no one in the game will ever trust you enough pay you one thin pfennig.

Genghis Khan 1206 AD

Quote:

Even though they begin without a city, the Mongols can continue to replenish their armies with their unique Camp unit. This unit is basically a mobile barracks that sporadically spits out new units. You can't control what units you'll get from the camp but you can influence the likelihood of certain units popping out if you place the camp in the right terrain. Putting the camp in the forest, for instance, gives you a greater chance of getting a trebuchet unit.

The type of unit also depends on the types of technologies you've acquired. Since the Mongols aren't really the scientific types, you'll need to obtain new technology from your enemies. Each civilization has one new technology to offer and you can earn them by either taking at least two of that civilization's cities or by making them your vassal. The Koreans will teach you how to build galleys, for instance, while the Russians can teach you the encirclement promotion which allows your units to cause collateral damage during combat.

Omens, 1754

Quote:
Far more serious however are the forces of Divinity. This is where the scenario starts to take a turn towards the fanciful. Without giving too much away, the forces of Divinity will appear three times during the course of the campaign to judge your progress. The team that's losing the war of religious conversion will find themselves on the receiving end of some inspired wrath. The divine forces will also appear at the very end of the scenario to declare a winner.

Barbarian Horde

Quote:
Once the autoplay is finished, you'll be taken to the barbarian horde screen where you'll purchase the army you'll use to topple civilization. The units are all Classical era types (including the new trebuchets and triremes), so you'll need to move quickly before you're outclassed by the enemy.

---

Oh, and Python is the scripting language, but the SDK is more the guts of the game. Kind of like the source code (but not exactly, of course ).
Old 07-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #695
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For example, Python can script events and change up things using the engine, while SDK can do things like:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=151787

Yes, that is ranged artillery attack and stacks fighting against each other at the same time using 'combined arms'.

Though I have not used the mod, people in the thread seem to like it.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-17-2006 at 08:05 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #696
Buccaneer
Head Coach

From CivFanatics, sorry Imran (note some of these changes were from 1.61):

Since I couldn't find one in the documentation, I have compiled a list with changed things in Warlords as compared with v1.61 (for the NEW things you can go here)

Buildings
  • Heroic Epic requires a level 5 unit (as oposed to 4 previously) and West Point level 6 (as oposed to 5)
  • Barracks provide only +3XP (instead of +4XP) but are cheaper (50 hammers instead of 60)
  • Castles provide +1 Trade route (the benefit expires with Economics)
  • The Spiral Minaret gives +2gold per building (instead of +1)
  • Obelisk is renamed a Monument (Obelisk is now a Unique Building for Egypt)
Units & Combat
  • Chariots get +100% attack vs. Axemen (only attack)
  • Chariots have +10% retreat chance (instead of +20%)
  • Pinch promotion (anti-gunpowder) is available only after researching Gunpowder
  • Drill II-IV provide collateral damage reduction also (besides the original first strikes)
  • Guerilla promotion line has III promotions now (Guerilla III adds +25 Attack (!!) to hills)
  • Redcoats reduced to 14 strength (from 16)
  • Cossacks reduced to 15 strength (from 18)
  • Siege units are immune to collateral damage (except Machine Gun)
  • Horse Archers have reduced (-10%) City Attack but get +20% retreat chance
  • Forts act as a city for combat purposes
  • Forts can be built over forests
  • Selecting large stacks displays the units on more than one row
  • The stack tooltip no longer shows all combat details for all units in a stack.. only the 'first' one in the stack is shown
  • When capturing workers they cannot move in the same turn (therefore you have to be able to defend them in order to keep them)
  • Marine & SAM Infantry no longer promote to Mech. Infantry (they are end-of-the-line unit).
  • Machine Guns promote to Mech. Infantry instead of SAM Infantry
City Management
  • Production->Science/Gold/Culture converts 100% of the production (instead of 50%) and the production bonuses are applied (like Forge, Factory etc) (they did not in vanilla civ which makes this the probably the Warlords change with the biggest effect... now the big production cities can become temporary big science/money/culture generators).
  • Science/Gold/Culture and Maintenance are now computed with 2 decimal places at the city level (and rounded only at the civ level)
  • F1 screen now allows the management of specialists.
  • After capturing a city you are prompted to build something immediately (as opposed to the end of resistance)
Game Options
  • Goodie huts can be disabled (No Tribal Villages)
  • New map options: World Wrap (Torroidal/Flat/Cylindrical), Resources (Balanced/Standard)
Other
  • Fascism gives a free Great General for the first civilization that discovers it
  • The leader dialog box no longer displays the attitude on the top of the box
  • The amount of hammers reported in the tooltips when chopping a forest is not dependent anymore on the production now but the bonuses (if any) still apply (inside the city... the chopping hammers appear in the production tooltip as a separate line).
  • The hammers that result from chopping are not added immediately but in the next turn.
  • Rivers give benefits to additional plots in some cases (eg.. river delta... give bonus to three plots instead of two)
  • Several leaders have the traits changed (complete list)
  • BUG?: City governor switches cities with negative food (even with as few as -1 food) to 'Fast Starvation Mode' (it creates the maximum number of specialists possible with the result that city population decreases much faster than 'it should')