Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #651
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The matchup in Fenway this weekend is going to be fantastic. Boston has the best offense in the American League. Over the current 15-3 run by the Royals, the starters that Boston is facing are 9-0 and have a 1.40 ERA. The Royals bullpen also currently has the longest scoreless streak in MLB in 14 years.

Something's got to give.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #652
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The matchup in Fenway this weekend is going to be fantastic. Boston has the best offense in the American League. Over the current 15-3 run by the Royals, the starters that Boston is facing are 9-0 and have a 1.40 ERA. The Royals bullpen also currently has the longest scoreless streak in MLB in 14 years.

Something's got to give.

That run was against some pretty bad teams like the Twins and White Sox. I doubt Boston has too many fears about the Royals pitching other than maybe Ventura trying to headhunt Papi.

Royals defense is keeping them in the race however playing +5 ball vs their Pythagorean W-L.

Royals arent really built to play their best ball in hitters parks. 5th highest flyball rate allowed doesnt play well in Boston

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-26-2016 at 10:28 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #653
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
That run was against some pretty bad teams like the Twins and White Sox. I doubt Boston has too many fears about the Royals pitching other than maybe Ventura trying to headhunt Papi.

Royals defense is keeping them in the race however playing +5 ball vs their Pythagorean W-L.

Royals arent really built to play their best ball in hitters parks. 5th highest flyball rate allowed doesnt play well in Boston

It was also 5-1 against the Detroit Tigers and Florida Marlins, who are both still in the playoff hunt.

For those that missed the Dyson catch last night, you should watch it. Just ridiculous. Reminded me a lot of the Griffey Jr. catch in New York.

http://m.mlb.com/kc/video/topic/7008...-perfect-form/

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-26-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #654
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gary Sanchez is good at baseball. I thought his catching skills looked dramatically improved between 2014 and 2015. This Yankees team could be really good very soon.

Greg Bird and Sanchez and Judge could be a nice combo
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #655
MrBug708
Head Coach

If the Dodgers win the West, does Corey Seager win MVP?

I'm assuming Dave Roberts wins COTY either way?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #656
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
If the Dodgers win the West, does Corey Seager win MVP?

I'm assuming Dave Roberts wins COTY either way?

Bryant is winning the MVP unless he completely tanks in September.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #657
MrBug708
Head Coach

I don't doubt it I just know if we didn't have him we'd probably be sub 500
Old 08-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #658
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Gary Sanchez is good at baseball. I thought his catching skills looked dramatically improved between 2014 and 2015. This Yankees team could be really good very soon.

Greg Bird and Sanchez and Judge could be a nice combo
Sanchez is seriously outperforming his minor league numbers - I'd guess it's more likely we're seeing a "Kevin Maas" situation than a true superstar being born.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #659
Suicane75
Coordinator

Heh, the first thing I did when I saw that post about Sanchez was look up Maas. I didn't recall him being out of the league so quickly.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:53 PM   #660
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

From watching a few Sanchez at bats(less than 10) I think he is as legit as they come. He doesnt pull off the ball on sliders away. He adjusts well during at bats and his pure power is great. He could just be very locked in at this very moment in time and not normally be that way but his plate balance, approach, and swing all look like a future star in the making.

With that said when Justin Upton is "on" he looks like a 400 hitter with 60 home run power while the 95 percent of the time he is not "on' he just stinks.(MLB terms of course)

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-26-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:15 AM   #661
Atocep
Coordinator

Nothing Sanchez is doing is even remotely sustainable. Nearly .400 Babip, 12% line drives, 42% homerun per flyballs, and 50% groundballs.

He should be hitting .250 or lower with moderate on base skills. He has a brighter future than Maas, but he's still closer to Maas than future MVP.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:32 AM   #662
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Bryant is winning the MVP unless he completely tanks in September.

Tonight helps that cause a bit.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #663
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

[IMG][/IMG]

Line Drive swing. Doesnt seem to get much loft. His exit velocity is great. Id certainly want to pitch him low in the zone. Unless he adjusts a good pitcher should be able to get him to ground out a lot.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-27-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:36 AM   #664
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sanchez is probably like a .260-.275 guy with 20+ homer potential, which in this MLB climate makes him a borderline star(from the catcher position if he's adequate or better).
Old 08-28-2016, 11:36 PM   #665
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great road trip for the Royals. Went 4-2 against two playoff contenders. Unlike some of the other teams, the Royals now have 20 of their last 32 games at home, which is a great advantage given how well they play in Kauffman Stadium.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:47 PM   #666
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers seem to have King Felix's number. They chased him after 4 innings, and he gave up 6 earned runs.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:42 PM   #667
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Rangers seem to have King Felix's number. They chased him after 4 innings, and he gave up 6 earned runs.
Felix isn't "Felix!" anymore. He's still a good pitcher, but his loss of velocity has caught up to him - his margin for error is a lot smaller than it used to be.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #668
Logan
Head Coach

Curtis Granderson has 24 HRs but only 44 RBIs. I was curious about the numbers...he has hit 20 solo including 18 consecutive between 4/22 and 8/30. He had another 10 RBIs from the other HRs. Five came on sac flies. The remainder came on one triple and six singles.

So he has seven non-HR hits this season which drove in runs. That's an impressively low number.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #669
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Royals have to keep cashing in on this ridiculously weak schedule over the next two weeks. Between 9/5 and 9/18, they play the Twins, A's, and White Sox. So far, they're 2-0. Need a big run during this stretch to finish strong.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #670
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a 9th inning comeback by the Cardinals last night!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #671
Arles
Grey Dog Software

That was crazy, 3 bombs in the 9th!
Old 09-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #672
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Strasburg just threw a pitch and winced...left game. I hope they have insurance on that contract

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #673
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Ridiculous double play by Dozier.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #674
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Strasburg just threw a pitch and winced...left game. I hope they have insurance on that contract

They should have read Passan's book. After the first TJ surgery the odds go way up for a second. And after the second TJ the odds are high that the career is over.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #675
cuervo72
Head Coach

He was just coming back from some rest for an elbow, too.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #676
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers have started 4 rookies in a row, in September, in a playoff hunt, and are gaining distance between them and second place
Old 09-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #677
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This season for the Royals is likely to be the "What if we didn't have Soria?" season. He has lost a lead or given up the winning run now in 13 games this season. That's a huge problem. Even if we have a competent pitcher who doesn't lose seven of those 13 games, we'd be a couple games clear of the next team for the wildcard and would be on the heels of Cleveland. Soria has been a nightmare.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #678
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... the Mets are tied for the 2nd WC spot? I would never have predicted this sort of run a month ago.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #679
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Cubs, and either the Cards or Giants have to feel great about potentially being in the playoffs against the Nats, Dodgers, or Mets if the current rotation problems continue.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #680
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Wow... the Mets are tied for the 2nd WC spot? I would never have predicted this sort of run a month ago.
And they have a cake walk schedule the rest of the way. Outside of Miami (3) and Washington (3), they face Atlanta (6), Philly (6) and Minnesota (3). Looks like it will be between the Giants and Cardinals for the last WC spot.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #681
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Some putz was running around here declaring them officially done back then. Eat shit, loser.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #682
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm not sure if the trade off of my schadenfreude of the Giants is worth it when the other side is the rise of the Cardinals. I feel so conflicted. But since no other team (in the race) is even over .500 I guess I better hope it's only one or the other and that the Mets keep rising.

C'mon Pirates! C'mon Marlins! Do something!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #683
lungs
Pro Rookie

The Mets should bring Tim Tebow up immediately. Nobody else would bother showing up for the playoffs.

(No knock on Tebow, I'll be genuinely interested to see how he does)
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #684
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tebow to the mets
Old 09-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #685
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

From Bob Nightingale:

Quote:
Sandy Alderson acknowledges that Tim Tebow won't be available every day in instructional league because of Tebow's ESPN broadcasting job

Good to see that everyone is taking this seriously.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #686
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Dodgers have started 4 rookies in a row, in September, in a playoff hunt, and are gaining distance between them and second place

This is less the Dodgers and more the Giants and their historically bad stretch of baseball.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #687
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
This is less the Dodgers and more the Giants and their historically bad stretch of baseball.

Can't think of a team that has ever had the best first record and then worst second half, while at the same time getting most regular players back from injury and acquiring good impact players in july.

Guess I blame Booby Evans for not taking the old bullpen problem seriously.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #688
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's literally never happened where a team with the best 1st half record had the worst 2nd half record. I think the Giants still "trail" the Twins in that department by a game or so, but this is still incredible.

It's just amazing that every single offensive player is struggling simultaneously.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #689
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
From Bob Nightingale:

Good to see that everyone is taking this seriously.

I agree with Ben. It's the instructional league - 90% of these guys never see AAA - let alone the majors. I think it would be wise for all participants to have other jobs waiting once it completes.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #690
Logan
Head Coach

It's funny...I haven't seen any real backlash on my Twitter feed, which I would expect since it's primarily Mets and NY-centric and people around here already hated him from his time with the Jets. Seems like the majority of my circle at least are just rolling with it.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #691
Logan
Head Coach

It's more about stuff like this being sold:

Old 09-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #692
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Yeah. It's also about Tebow's agent that just happens to also represent Cespedes.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #693
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah. It's also about Tebow's agent that just happens to also represent Cespedes.

So the thought is that Cespedes won't decline his option and get an enormous deal because the Mets gave a minor league deal to Tebow?

And BTW, my comment was about my Twitter feed being more about stupid/fun stuff like shirts than any backlash over him joining the time. The Mets aren't making any money off him any time soon.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #694
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not that direct, but maybe the agent gives the Mets a right to match or looks a little more favorably on a four year rather than a five year. There has to be some reason other than talent. You're right that he's never going to play for the big club.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #695
Logan
Head Coach

Apparently a bunch of teams offered him a deal, he narrowed the list to 5 teams, and the Mets were the only ones who didn't care about him skipping out on days for his TV gig. Don't think much more went into than that...maybe "NYC market" on the 0.01% chance this actually works out.

Last edited by Logan : 09-08-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #696
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not that direct, but maybe the agent gives the Mets a right to match or looks a little more favorably on a four year rather than a five year. There has to be some reason other than talent. You're right that he's never going to play for the big club.

So the agent would undermine one client for the other? Isn't it then time to get another agent?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #697
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Who is selling that? The Mets can't until he's on the 40 man roster per MLBPA rules.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #698
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

No ligament damage for Strasburg. May be back for the playoffs.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #699
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Who is selling that? The Mets can't until he's on the 40 man roster per MLBPA rules.

Barstool Sports
Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #700
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
No ligament damage for Strasburg. May be back for the playoffs.

miller for the yankees missed a month...so well see

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote