Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #601
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Can you seriously say that in real time that was a huge blown call? Give me a break here and I'm not just saying it because the Phillies benefited. From the way the umpire was positioned (behind the first baseman) that's a difficult call to make, especially when the ball hits about an inch before the glove.

Absolutely can say it was a huge blown call. This is partially because of all the other blown calls prior to this during the playoffs. I am just sick of the umpires dictating the outcome of games by either ignorance, laziness, or incompetence.

Bud Selig needs to get his head out of his ass and implement replay already.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #602
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Absolutely can say it was a huge blown call. This is partially because of all the other blown calls prior to this during the playoffs. I am just sick of the umpires dictating the outcome of games by either ignorance, laziness, or incompetence.

And yet the play you're talking about doesn't meet the definition of any of those three words.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #603
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

For all the shit Roma gets for his menagerie of teams, he is definitely a Yankees fan.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #604
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Bud Selig needs to get his head out of his ass and implement replay already.

I am not lumping this call or even Utley's safe/out play in the next half inning with the other blown calls. There's a huge difference here and it's evident that you must have an eagle eye and missed your calling in life to be a major league umpire.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #605
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
And yet the play you're talking about doesn't meet the definition of any of those three words.

Sure it does. If I can see on television that the ball bounced before going into his glove, how can the umpire, who was two feet from the play, NOT see the same thing?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #606
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I am not lumping this call or even Utley's safe/out play in the next half inning with the other blown calls. There's a huge difference here and it's evident that you must have an eagle eye and missed your calling in life to be a major league umpire.

What is this "huge" difference you are speaking of? I am positive that as a Phillies fan, you would be up in arms if this situation was reversed.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #607
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What is this "huge" difference you are speaking of? I am positive that as a Phillies fan, you would be up in arms if this situation was reversed.

Are you kidding me? You put yourself BEHIND Howard and can tell me that you would've gotten that call correct. They had to slow motion it down and play it back to see the short hop. It isn't like it was a foot in front of Howard.

I wasn't pissed about Utley getting called out (and that was a huge play cause Howard would've been up with 2nd and 3rd). It's a bang/bang play. Nothing is obvious...well except to you.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #608
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sure it does. If I can see on television that the ball bounced before going into his glove, how can the umpire, who was two feet from the play, NOT see the same thing?

He was BEHIND HOWARD! How the could he see through him?

I don't think you realize that the angle you see on TV is different than what the umpire sees.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #609
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
He was BEHIND HOWARD! How the could he see through him?

I don't think you realize that the angle you see on TV is different than what the umpire sees.

Of course I realize the angle is different. But you are telling me that the umpire didn't see the ball bounce before it went into the players glove? He can't see the play between the legs of the player, or move to a better position? Then why the fuck do we even have an umpire out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #610
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Nothing is obvious...well except to you.

Ah yes, the message board insults never end, do they.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #611
molson
General Manager

I would be a horrible umpire/ref - I can never tell at live speed even on TV, and that's without having boddies flying everywhere in front of me.

I think people, everyone, needs to relax about refs/umps. It's part of the game. Every game has missed calls, just like every game has dropped passes/errors/ect. For some reason though, people just get way more viciously upset over ump/ref calls v. player mistakes.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2009 at 09:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #612
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ah yes, the message board insults never end, do they.

Well common sense isn't one of your strong suits.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #613
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Yeah because you know me personally asshat.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #614
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Look, if you want to argue about this stuff that is fine, but the insults aren't needed. I don't do that, except for the last post because I am tired of it.

Entirely your call here.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #615
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Look, if you want to argue about this stuff that is fine, but the insults aren't needed. I don't do that, except for the last post because I am tired of it.

Entirely your call here.

You were the one throwing them out there. I just made observations but again you only see what you want.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #616
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
You were the one throwing them out there. I just made observations but again you only see what you want.

Show me where I insulted you and I will gladly apologize. It just doesn't seem like a realistic conversation can take place on this board anymore without someone being insulted because they have a different viewpoint.

Too bad really.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #617
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Of course I realize the angle is different. But you are telling me that the umpire didn't see the ball bounce before it went into the players glove? He can't see the play between the legs of the player, or move to a better position?

If said umpire saw the ball bounce then he wouldn't have called the batter out now would he?

Also, if you watch some of these other games you would notice that line drives come off the bat quite quickly, especially ones to the corners which are pulled, and sometimes the base coaches and umpires can barely get out of the way of the ball. So to have them move "a few feet" to see the ball is tough.

Let's just say it was an 88 MPH fast ball. Physics will tell you that someone swinging a bat and one who got good wood on the ball will have the ball traveling pretty fast. The umpire is positioned behind the first base bag and to the right (as we look from home plate) and the play happened in front of the bag and to the left.

So not only was Howard's body in the way but as replays showed, the ball hit inches from the glove before it bounced. The webbing of the glove was around the ball too. But we'll ignore those facts because umpires have to make that call right?

Anyway, let's just say the ball coming off the bat was 75 MPH, which isn't a stretch because one of the home runs, the ball came off the bat at over 100 MPH. The 75 MPH also factors in air resistance that could slow the ball down.

So a 75 MPH ball going 90 feet. Doing some math that's about 110 feet per second. So in less than a second you want the umpire the realize the following: the ball is coming at me, the ball could be caught at a place where I am blocked in view, therefore I have to move 2 to 3 feet to get a better view. You want all that done in 0.81 seconds? Good luck buddy.

Quote:
Show me where I insulted you and I will gladly apologize. It just doesn't seem like a realistic conversation can take place on this board anymore without someone being insulted because they have a different viewpoint.

Too bad really.

I don't really care if you apologize or not.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 10-30-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #618
Logan
Head Coach

Not seeing the ball bounce into Howard's glove on a rocket when you are in the correct position behind the play = understandable missed call.

Not seeing Joe Mauer's ball land in fair play by a foot when you have a perfect angle at the play in front of you = horrible, inexcusable missed call.

And it's not a "different viewpoint" when you say something ridiculous like "He should have put himself in a better position because I was able to see that he missed it on TV." You are wrong, plain and simple. But anyway...

Quote:
Looks like Girardi is gift-wrapping this series for the Phillies, not that they need any help winning it.

Fucking Molina in for Posada because of Sir-Walks-A-Lot Burnett, and apparently Jerry Hairston Jr. is a better option than Nick Swisher.

Whether we win or lose this series, I want Girardi gone. He sucks ballz as a manager.

How's that for being insulting because of a viewpoint? A CORRECT viewpoint by Girardi, as noted by people on this board.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #619
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Not seeing the ball bounce into Howard's glove on a rocket when you are in the correct position behind the play = understandable missed call.

Not seeing Joe Mauer's ball land in fair play by a foot when you have a perfect angle at the play in front of you = horrible, inexcusable missed call.

And it's not a "different viewpoint" when you say something ridiculous like "He should have put himself in a better position because I was able to see that he missed it on TV." You are wrong, plain and simple. But anyway...

How's that for being insulting because of a viewpoint? A CORRECT viewpoint by Girardi, as noted by people on this board.

Well obviously I can't win so I will just bow out of this thread and leave the debates to the message board experts.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #620
Logan
Head Coach

No, you can't win with a hypocritical argument. Thanks for playing.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #621
RedKingGold
College Starter

Man, and I thought irrational Phillies fans were bad. Yowza.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #622
Jon
High School Varsity

Charlie Manuel announced today that Joe Blanton gets the nod in Game 4 against C.C.

Last edited by Jon : 10-30-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #623
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Charlie Manuel announced today that Joe Blanton gets the nod in Game 4 against C.C.

No surprise there (as I suggested earlier in this thread).

...but then I saw Blanton's numbers against the Yankees (0-3, 8.0+ ERA).

Well, in Charlie we trust!

Last edited by RedKingGold : 10-30-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #624
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
No surprise there (as I suggested earlier in this thread).

...but then I saw Blanton's numbers against the Yankees (0-3, 8.0+ ERA).

Well, in Charlie we trust!

I wouldn't be too worried about this. Happ will be right there waiting if Blanton gets into any trouble.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #625
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Giants re-sign 2B Freddy Sanchez to a 2 year, $12M deal. No word on details (and the price number is just a rumor to this point) other than that.

Very meh about this signing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 PM   #626
JS19
College Prospect

I hate McCarver.... "Question is, did it hit the camera on its way down"... as opposed to hitting it on its way up?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #627
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

BS, that hits the fence if the camera is not there!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #628
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
BS, that hits the fence if the camera is not there!!!

It hits the top of the fence, which would make it a homerun. It hit the front of the lens, which wasn't hanging over the wall.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #629
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A-Rod does it again... I hope this postseason shuts up all the morons.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #630
miked
College Starter

Wouldn't saving/starting Happ in game 4 make better sense than letting Blanton throw BP?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #631
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Wouldn't saving/starting Happ in game 4 make better sense than letting Blanton throw BP?

It does--just like it makes more sense to feed Chad Gaudin to the wolves in Game 5, saving Burnett for Game 6 at Yankee Stadium.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #632
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Giants re-sign 2B Freddy Sanchez to a 2 year, $12M deal. No word on details (and the price number is just a rumor to this point) other than that.

wow, that's bad.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #633
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That game 4 preview/movie promo combo was pretty awful, c'mon Fox.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #634
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Not bad. It was obvious he was returning after the Giants gave up a significant prospect to acquire him. 2 years at 6m seems pretty reasonable. Not a bargain but also not very risky or extravagant.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #635
miked
College Starter

Funny...Blanton hits A-Roid with his top 75 mph heater and both sides are warned. I can't understand why they warn both sides when one team has done the beaning.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #636
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Crappy start to the game. I have no problem with them plunking A-Roid every chance they get.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #637
RedKingGold
College Starter

Moneyball reunion: Blanton pitching to Nick Swisher.

Somewhere, Billy Beane is running on a treadmill and swearing (not because he's unhappy but just because he's Billy Beane).
Old 11-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #638
spleen1015
Coordinator

Howard missed the plate.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #639
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Howard manufacturing a run with his running - who would have thunk it?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-01-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #640
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Pedro!!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #641
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

amazing that Rivera isn't in the game there
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #642
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Pedro!!

Okay, lemme lay the groundwork for you. When your team employs Pedro Martinez, simply exclaiming "Pedro!" is no good. The automatic assumption any sane spectator would make is that you are referring to one of the true pitching greats of all time, who happens to be on your team, not some after thought free agent 3B with some power.

The correct exclamation is "Feliz!" Say it with me. It even sounds better than "Pedro!", and without the inherent confusion as well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-01-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #643
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Lidge :/

C'mon some kind of miracle in the bottom of the 9th off Rivera.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #644
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
amazing that Rivera isn't in the game there

I dunno, I'm probably not bringing out Mariano to pitch to Pedro Feliz with 2 outs and nobody on either.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #645
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I dunno, I'm probably not bringing out Mariano to pitch to Pedro Feliz with 2 outs and nobody on either.

I am.

With Cliff Lee going tomorrow this is pretty much a must win, why bring Joba in who has been inconsistent at best.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #646
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They'd have had to double switch as well. I'm guessing Girardi didn't want to burn up another player?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #647
Jas_lov
College Starter

Also, Joba had just blown away Werth and Ibanez. He was looking pretty good until that 1 pitch so I don't know why you'd take him out at that point against a scrub like Feliz.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 11-01-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #648
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Hey, Jas love sighting. GO PACK GO
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #649
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm thinking that the whole "A-Rod isn't a 'true' Yankee" crowd is ready to hang themselves... or have conveniently forgotten they ever said that.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #650
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Leaving for Philly now! Wooo
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote