Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #601
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
It was definitely nice to see the Vols with good offensive production, WKU or not. Last season's offense was horrible, regardless of who we were playing.

I really liked seeing the amount of playing time the freshmen got. Kiffin certainly lived up to his side of the bargain in that regard.

Crompton still concerns me with the amount of batted balls.

My assumption is, going into Neyland Stadium, in front of your rabid fanbase, and going up against a team that probably still has more talent, despite last year's problems, that UCLA's going to lose next Saturday, and Tennessee will get its revenge.

All that said, I really don't even begin to know what to expect next Saturday. Both teams are really sorta unknowns. I'm not even sure what parallels can be drawn from last year.

I am guessing it will be fun to see Monte Kiffin versus Norm Chow.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #602
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
It was definitely nice to see the Vols with good offensive production, WKU or not. Last season's offense was horrible, regardless of who we were playing.

I really liked seeing the amount of playing time the freshmen got. Kiffin certainly lived up to his side of the bargain in that regard.

Crompton still concerns me with the amount of batted balls.

Yeah, I'll give him the thing on the freshmen p.t. And I'll even give him some credit for resurrecting guys previously buried on the depth chart for whatever reason & turning them into at least reasonably productive players, they certainly weren't any worse than what was thrown out there at times (repeatedly) last season.

That said however, while Crompton gaudy stats were cute against WKU, if he throws those same balls against Florida, Alabama, & Georgia, and possibly against Auburn, Ole Miss, and South Carolina, their defenses will end up scoring more than the UT offense. There'll be plenty of picks to go around too, with both D'linemen getting a chance on the low balls and LB's & CB's getting their chances on that little quick route they used to get him in a rhythm in the first half.

The play was improved over last year, hard to even question that. But I saw very little Saturday that changed much about my expectations for the season, which is about 4-5 wins.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #603
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, I'll give him the thing on the freshmen p.t. And I'll even give him some credit for resurrecting guys previously buried on the depth chart for whatever reason & turning them into at least reasonably productive players, they certainly weren't any worse than what was thrown out there at times (repeatedly) last season.

That said however, while Crompton gaudy stats were cute against WKU, if he throws those same balls against Florida, Alabama, & Georgia, and possibly against Auburn, Ole Miss, and South Carolina, their defenses will end up scoring more than the UT offense. There'll be plenty of picks to go around too, with both D'linemen getting a chance on the low balls and LB's & CB's getting their chances on that little quick route they used to get him in a rhythm in the first half.

The play was improved over last year, hard to even question that. But I saw very little Saturday that changed much about my expectations for the season, which is about 4-5 wins.

If UCLA loses next Saturday, it won't be because of their defense. If you're right about Crompton's pickable throws, UCLA's D will be a dangerous matchup for him as well.

That said, I still think it's going to be hard to go to Knoxville with a redshirt freshman QB, a true freshman left tackle, and a redshirt freshman tailback and expect to pull out a win. I think it's going to be an interesting game, at the very least.

UT did catch a break when Hester broke his leg Saturday. We drop from the very athletic and tall Hester to a mighty mite corner in Courtney Viney, and I have to think UT will have the receivers to exploit that matchup.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 AM   #604
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
If UCLA loses next Saturday, it won't be because of their defense. If you're right about Crompton's pickable throws, UCLA's D will be a dangerous matchup for him as well.

I omitted them from the list of team's I'm pretty sure will have a field day with Crompton simply because I'm not familiar enough with their defensive personnel to know how it would match up.

Quote:
That said, I still think it's going to be hard to go to Knoxville with a redshirt freshman QB, a true freshman left tackle, and a redshirt freshman tailback and expect to pull out a win. I think it's going to be an interesting game, at the very least.

From the looks of things Saturday, it'll depend on how well you deal with defensive speed. They aren't the biggest defense you'll see this year but they looked quicker than last year's model, or at least they played quicker just as you might expect with a Monte defense. Whether they revert to their arm tackling style of the past several seasons (which even showed up at times Saturday but WKU didn't have the horses to take advantage of it) will go a long way in determining whether they're for real or vulnerable defensively.

Quote:
I have to think UT will have the receivers to exploit that matchup.

Actually, your guess is probably as good as anybody's. Tennessee receivers caught 23 balls saturday, 11 of those went to 4 receivers making their first receptions in a UT uniform. And of the 8 WR/TE who caught passes, only one has ever averaged 2 rpg in a previous season and that's junior Brandon Warren who caught 28 as a TE back in '06 for Florida State, went JUCO in '07, and transferred to UT & caught only 10 last year. He's probably the guy that could take advantage of a smaller secondary but it's still early to be sure he'll do so (and with Crompton throwing it's hard to be sure that even Calvin Johnson could take advantage of it).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-07-2009 at 02:08 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #605
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Awesome. My team (ND) isn't a laughingstock anymore! Although the praise for Clausen is getting a little overblown - that last TD was underthrown by 15 yards, and the first TD to Rudolph was also a poor throw that relied on the superior athleticism of the receiver. Still, ND does have 3 of those guys catching passes now (Tate, Floyd, Rudolph) - the running game might take a little longer (and giving more carries to Gray and Riddick.) Definitely an encouraging week one.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-07-2009 at 02:18 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #606
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Just a few more hours then I can finally settle in and watch the game. I am not sure what I want to eat for the game wings, nachos, or maybe get my roommates girlfriend to make patties.

Let's Go Noles!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #607
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Just a few more hours then I can finally settle in and watch the game. I am not sure what I want to eat for the game wings, nachos, or maybe get my roommates girlfriend to make patties.

Let's Go Noles!

Why not have her make all of the above?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #608
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Why not have her make all of the above?

Well I don't think we're going to have a lot of people over maybe 4 so making all of that would be too much.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #609
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
There is a rumor out there that Bradford actually tore his rotator cuff. Any one else heard that? I hope it isn't true. I wanted Oklahoma to lose a game or two this year, but I'd hate to see him miss the entire year.

This is something Pat Forde mentioned and it became a rumor. It doesn't appear he has a torn rotator cuff. According to the reports now, it's a shoulder sprain, and they're not saying whether it's a Grade 2 or a Grade 3. If it's a Grade 2, it could only be a couple of weeks. If it's Grade 3, it might take longer. Either way, I don't think he's lost for the season, but we'll see. Stoops is notorious for not exactly being truthful about the severity of injuries.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #610
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Just a few more hours then I can finally settle in and watch the game. I am not sure what I want to eat for the game wings, nachos, or maybe my roommates girlfriend.

!

fixed
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #611
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Getting ready to go to a ski expo then off to a bar to watch the Rutgers game.

Go RU!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #612
miked
College Starter

Gonna go get me to Benchwarmers for some RU action! Woot!
Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #613
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Gonna go get me to Benchwarmers for some RU action! Woot!

nice.

We are meeting a woman my wife works with and her husband. I have never met them but that are from Cincinnati. I really hope he is a UC guy, will make things so much more fun.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #614
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
This is something Pat Forde mentioned and it became a rumor. It doesn't appear he has a torn rotator cuff. According to the reports now, it's a shoulder sprain, and they're not saying whether it's a Grade 2 or a Grade 3. If it's a Grade 2, it could only be a couple of weeks. If it's Grade 3, it might take longer. Either way, I don't think he's lost for the season, but we'll see. Stoops is notorious for not exactly being truthful about the severity of injuries.

Ortho isn't my strong point, but from what I remember if he has a grade 3, that involves multiple torn ligaments and he is probably going to elect to have surgery and miss most if not all of the season.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #615
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Ortho isn't my strong point, but from what I remember if he has a grade 3, that involves multiple torn ligaments and he is probably going to elect to have surgery and miss most if not all of the season.

Well, the rumors I've heard from some people supposedly "in the know" (and take this with a grain of salt since Stoops says it'll be at least a week before a decision is made), Bradford has already decided against surgery and will rehab.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #616
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, the rumors I've heard from some people supposedly "in the know" (and take this with a grain of salt since Stoops says it'll be at least a week before a decision is made), Bradford has already decided against surgery and will rehab.

Rehab increases the risk of not fixing the problem (and potentially long-term damage), correct?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #617
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Interception # 3 thrown by the RU QB
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #618
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ouch Rutgers. Way to go, guys. Geez.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #619
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Getting Worse... Damn I really don't know what to think about RU this year now, I sure as hell didn't think they would look this awful against Cinci tho. Ugh
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #620
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

So, safe to say Brian Kelly is still a damn good coach?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #621
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Rehab increases the risk of not fixing the problem (and potentially long-term damage), correct?

Beats me. Based on what I've read, surgery isn't typical unless it's Grade 4 or worse, but obviously EF27 knows that better than I. Interestingly, BYU QB Max Hall told the local paper here that he had the exact same injury at one point and only missed a few games.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #622
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Beats me. Based on what I've read, surgery isn't typical unless it's Grade 4 or worse, but obviously EF27 knows that better than I. Interestingly, BYU QB Max Hall told the local paper here that he had the exact same injury at one point and only missed a few games.

It's been a long time since I did Ortho, but from what I've read Grade 4 is where you almost definitely need surgery. Grade 3 is where surgery is an option, particularly for high caliber athletes in order to aid in proper healing. Either way, if it is really a grade 3 which does involve multiple ligaments being torn, he'll miss significant time unless he really pushes it.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #623
Cuckoo
College Starter

Stoops and Bradford are having a press conference now. They said non-surgical and he's expected back in 2-4 weeks, though I think they said Grade 3. Interestingly, he's not wearing a sling at the conference.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #624
Galaxy
Coordinator

ESPN is really hyping the Miami-FSU game.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #625
tarcone
Coordinator

I cant believe how far Rutgers has fallen. One year and done. Its too bad, I really thought that coach could maintain something there.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #626
tarcone
Coordinator

A friend, who is a FSU fan, told me that Bowden said this is the fastest defense he has ever had. If true it should be fun to watch.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #627
tarcone
Coordinator

I had what Bradford has a couple times. Once I played softball with it. I took a couple pain killers and drank a few beers. I played 1st base, went 3-3 hitting like Rod Carew and played a good 1st base.
C'mon Bradford man up.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #628
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Why is Mark May wearing sunglasses? Douchebag!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #629
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Why is Mark May wearing sunglasses? Douchebag!

LOL. I asked my wife the same thing. Come on.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #630
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
fixed

You have to ask..."pics please thanks". Then you make the judgement.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #631
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Football is FINALLY back. Let's go Canes!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #632
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
A friend, who is a FSU fan, told me that Bowden said this is the fastest defense he has ever had. If true it should be fun to watch.

How talented are Miami and FSU (not asking how well do they play)?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #633
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I cant believe how far Rutgers has fallen. One year and done. Its too bad, I really thought that coach could maintain something there.

It's been more than a year that they've been good. That being said, when a young program loses a bunch of players in the draft (5 or 6 this last draft), it's tough to catch up in one season.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #634
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ESPN is really hyping the Miami-FSU game.

Of course they are, they are covering it. It's why we'll see the SEC get overhyped for the next however many years they are covering the conference.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #635
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
It's been more than a year that they've been good. That being said, when a young program loses a bunch of players in the draft (5 or 6 this last draft), it's tough to catch up in one season.

Schiano probably should have struck while the iron was hot and jumped to an elite program.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #636
mckerney
Coordinator

ESPN really has to stop with this horrible country music shit.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #637
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Seriously...Kenny Chesney? Have another beer in Mexico? It doesn't get me hyped up at all.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #638
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Hell yeah! Way to start!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #639
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Doesn't NBC use Faith Hill for it's NFL coverage?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #640
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Schiano probably should have struck while the iron was hot and jumped to an elite program.

Well, quite obviously. But let's face it, you don't stink for 150 years then become an elite program after 4 winning seasons. They just have to keep consistently making/winning bowl games to get the good recruits and we'll see if they can rise to the "elite" level. Even last year starting 1-5, they had a late chance to make a BCS bowl so I'm not giving up quite yet. Plus, we have a freshman QB who was recruited as one of the best QBs in the country and a good OL. I love watching Tim Brown and hope the offense can at least do something.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #641
mckerney
Coordinator

"Ponder to Hopkins, sounds like a lawfirm."

I can only assume this is announcer-talk for, "White guy threw touchdown pass to other white guy."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #642
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm really impressed with Jacory so far.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #643
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
How talented are Miami and FSU (not asking how well do they play)?

So far I love Miamis WRs. They look very talented. I would say the talent level is higher then it has been in a few years.

And the speed is incredible. These guys are flying all over the place.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #644
miami_fan
Coordinator

Did the official stand over the ball to ensure the play was reviewed or were the markers just not in place?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #645
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What's taking so long? The ball clearly did not hit the ground.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #646
larrymcg421
Head Coach

They're at the 15 yard line with a full minute left. Why are the announcers panicking about the fucking clock?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #647
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Miami OL looked real nice on that drive.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #648
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nice drive.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #649
larrymcg421
Head Coach

WTF? Why a pooch kick?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #650
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
They're at the 15 yard line with a full minute left. Why are the announcers panicking about the fucking clock?

Cause they are idiots.

This has been a very entertaining game, just what I was hoping for.