Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #601
wade moore
lolzcat

Thanks for playing with me KingNeb - I had connectivity issues unfortunately and just gave up .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #602
Calis
College Starter

I'm not sure this is the freezing issue or something else all together, but has anyone else had issues with it never loading your game?

It's been happening to me off and on the last two days, and now I've started up the game 5 times now and waited for a good 5-10 minutes a piece for it to load up and it just continuously shows the Loading screen with the mission name.

On the PS3 btw.

Frustrating.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #603
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I'm not sure this is the freezing issue or something else all together, but has anyone else had issues with it never loading your game?

It's been happening to me off and on the last two days, and now I've started up the game 5 times now and waited for a good 5-10 minutes a piece for it to load up and it just continuously shows the Loading screen with the mission name.

On the PS3 btw.

Frustrating.

Just started experiencing the same symptoms myself...

PS3 was pretty much stuck on trying to "load" something, and when I tried to "quit" the game, it ended up shutting down my system. Everything was working fine until now, can't figure out what I did - maybe shutting down after having failed a mission (probably during autosave of content?) may have affected my file or something...

Not much luck on my end. However, I just read on the Sony boards someone mentioning signing out of your PSN / disconnecting the PS3 from the internet and restarting the game...

Just gave it a shot myself - once I was signed out I managed to actually get a friggin' game going.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 05-03-2008 at 10:03 PM.
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #604
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
you don't even understand how much this game looks like NYC. i can completely spot all the real places this game is based on - remarkably on point. they got the Bohemian Beer Garden (called "Steinway Beer Garden" in the game, which is funny cuz i lived a couple blocks away from steinway street), Jackson Hole (the oldies looking diner), Long Island City...wow. great job. you start the game off basically where i was born and raised - in Queens. can only imagine what Manhattan will look like in the game.

Agreed. I used to live in LIC and it's really fun driving around the places where I used to hang out.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #605
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I hope GTA has a game set in Spokane, WA or the Rio Grande Valley of Texas sometime so I can drive around places I know. In Spokane you can battle the skinheads of northern Idaho, and down here they could have missions where you smuggle drugs and illegals across the border.

Ok, it might not happen.....
Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #606
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Thanks for playing with me KingNeb - I had connectivity issues unfortunately and just gave up .

Good times man Dunno what the problem with your connection was. Is your internet acting up? Do you have a router that doesn't like your 360? I had many issues until I got this gaming router for $100.

The multiplayer is pretty sweet overall. The controls are extremely frustrating at times to me. Because it seems like the characters take their sweet time doing things. It's like, "I hit Y 5 seconds ago and you're taking your sweet ass time getting in the car?!?" It's awful.

Also, the cover system takes some getting used to. I try to take cover and the game doesn't use any brains at all. It just ducks you next to the nearest object. I hate when I try and take cover and the game has me take cover in the open (even when I think I go in the right spot). Very frustrating.

It's still a great game, but after playing games like Call of Duty 4 where it feels like I'm in complete control, this is a rough change of pace for me.

Sometimes I just start jamming buttons out of frustration over the lack of control I have. Shrug.

We'll see how much longer I play GTA before I go back to COD.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #607
wade moore
lolzcat

MY internet connection itself can suck sometimes - so I think that may be it. I had played quite a bit before you joined without issue, I think my Cox connection just got picky.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #608
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Crap, Snow Storm mission is the hardest yet for me...

Spoiler

Spoiler
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #609
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Spoiler

This was by far the hardest mission yet. Here's what I did:
Spoiler

Out of curiousity, how do I keep from killing somebody when given the choice? Each time, I've just killed them. What do I do, just not hit any buttons? Thanks!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #610
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Has anyone been able to drive the Turismo yet? Unbelievable handling on that compared to almost every other vehicle in the game.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #611
MikeVic
Head Coach

I tried this at a buddy's house on Friday. It froze on loading a number of times, and answering a phone call froze the screen for around 15 seconds before the guy started talking and the game continued. Played Free Mode online, which was fun with two other random people that joined. We would all get into a car and go nuts.

Once my friend disconnected from the net, the game worked fine in single player though.

Overall an alright experience, but the freezing and inability to play online after a bit was very annoying.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #612
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Has anyone been able to drive the Turismo yet? Unbelievable handling on that compared to almost every other vehicle in the game.

I haven't driven the Turismo, yet. However, I found another very nice sports car that also had excellent acceleration and handling. Disappointed that I lost it on a mission.

I'm about 15-20% "complete" and the story has become very good, IMHO.

Edit to add: No freezes or other glitches here, either.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-04-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #613
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I haven't driven the Turismo, yet. However, I found another very nice sports car that also had excellent acceleration and handling. Disappointed that I lost it on a mission.

I'm about 15-20% "complete" and the story has become very good, IMHO.

Edit to add: No freezes or other glitches here, either.
I'm really enjoying the story as well, but my little venture into online yesterday has told me I might be playing less SP for awhile .

Quote:
Old 05-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #614
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Just finished the mission that unlocked the last island. Time to check it out.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #615
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Just finished the mission that unlocked the last island. Time to check it out.

spoiler about the decisions you're able to make on whether to kill a person or not

Spoiler
Old 05-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #616
wade moore
lolzcat

The MP connectivity issues are annoying. I'm not 100% sure what it is - whether it's this game, my buddies connection, my conenction, or what.

We're fine just the two of us but if a 3rd tries to get in or we go to join a game it will bomb out a LOT.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #617
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

After failing to connect with you Wade, I tried a random race. MP worked fine in that. In fact, it was a blast. We all used super cars, and one dude nudged me on a corner where there was a ramp that launched me way out into space. That ended up costing me 1st place and I finished in 6th, but it was a blast.

I don't know why we can't connect, but I'm willing to give it a go again. I just wanted to try some other MP type game, to make sure it wasn't my issue.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #618
SackAttack
Head Coach

"No Love Lost" is pissing me off. I know WHAT to do, but the bike handling just isn't there for me right now.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #619
Anthony
Banned

i did No Love Lost probably 10 times. do not try to catch him, just go fast enough to be able to follow him. the instructions are misleading, they make it seem like you need to catch up to him and kill him. you *will* have to kill him, just not while you're riding the bikes.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #620
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Re: No Love Lost

Spoiler

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-04-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #621
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
"No Love Lost" is pissing me off. I know WHAT to do, but the bike handling just isn't there for me right now.

You can pick a car instead of the bike and it works too, it's how i passed it.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #622
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
You can pick a car instead of the bike and it works too, it's how i passed it.

I failed it about 14 times because I kept crashing the bike (or I would barely nudge something and I'd lose control and then I'd go flying -- some sweet crashes btw) and it wasn't until I figured that I could grab a car that I could finally beat it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #623
Anthony
Banned

i messed up a lot cuz i was trying to drive a motorcycle at a high speed (which is damn near difficult as it is) AND shoot him with my uzi at the same time, which, as noted above, is not required.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #624
Calis
College Starter

Yeah I finally went the car route and had no issues.

Oddly enough the first time I tried with a car he actually wrecked and got stuck in a group of traffic and only made it a block away before I got to him.

Which reminds me I do miss the days were they didn't "reset" the game when you started a mission. I loved when a mission was getting frustrating coming up with crazy ways to rig it before triggering. I can understand why they changed it, but I think finding those exploits was a pretty damn enjoyable part of the game.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #625
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah I finally went the car route and had no issues.

Oddly enough the first time I tried with a car he actually wrecked and got stuck in a group of traffic and only made it a block away before I got to him.

Which reminds me I do miss the days were they didn't "reset" the game when you started a mission. I loved when a mission was getting frustrating coming up with crazy ways to rig it before triggering. I can understand why they changed it, but I think finding those exploits was a pretty damn enjoyable part of the game.

I used to love just spawning a bunch of tanks and just setting up a giant roadblock, that was always bad ass.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #626
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I was pretty pissed when I figured this out. It was one of the really early missions where you had to chase someone by car, i forget who or why, but you go in a store and he runs out the back, you follow, have to break the window of a car and hotwire it and then chase. I was struggling w/ driving and failed it a few times, so I drive seemingly halfway around the city to figure out how to get to the back of the building, park my car behind the getaway car, break the windows of both parked cars, hotwire them both so they're ready to go, put one facing out of the parking lot, put the other in front of the getaway car, run out onto the street, steal another car to get back around to the front of the store, start the mission... and get out back and the damn thing had reset. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I still haven't tried online yet but I am really loving single player. I've very recently opened up the 3rd island and done the first mission over there, and I'm still only ~30% through completion. I can't remember if that 30% includes lots of side tasks (do shooting pigeons increase the game completion % or only main storyline missions?), but it seems like I should be a bit closer to the end than I am.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #627
MrBug708
Head Coach

How do you pickup the hookers int he game? I've tried honking at them when Im close, but no luck?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #628
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

I still haven't tried online yet but I am really loving single player. I've very recently opened up the 3rd island and done the first mission over there, and I'm still only ~30% through completion. I can't remember if that 30% includes lots of side tasks (do shooting pigeons increase the game completion % or only main storyline missions?), but it seems like I should be a bit closer to the end than I am.

I *think* the overall completion percentage includes stunt jumps, pigeons, etc and not just the main quests.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-04-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #629
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
How do you pickup the hookers int he game? I've tried honking at them when Im close, but no luck?

You just get up close, honk and then press a shoulder button to get them in the car, on 360 it's LB. Make sure it's actually a hooker though, there are some scantily clad women walking around LC who are'nt hookers, just skanks.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #630
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I *think* the overall completion percentage includes stunt jumps, pigeons, etc and not just the main quests.

That sounds familiar from past games. I don't really enjoy scouring the city for those kinds of things on my own but my OCD-like desire to get 100% will lead me to print out a walkthrough with all the locations and try to get it all at some point.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #631
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
That sounds familiar from past games. I don't really enjoy scouring the city for those kinds of things on my own but my OCD-like desire to get 100% will lead me to print out a walkthrough with all the locations and try to get it all at some point.

Trying to find all of the jumps is one of my favorite parts. I'm a bit disappointed that there are apparently only 50 in this game (it tells you that you have found 1 of 50 once you find your first one.)
Old 05-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #632
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
You just get up close, honk and then press a shoulder button to get them in the car, on 360 it's LB. Make sure it's actually a hooker though, there are some scantily clad women walking around LC who are'nt hookers, just skanks.

One that I picked up was definitely a streetwalker. I think Eliot Spitzer would've kicked her out of the car.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #633
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Hmm...the garage locations...anyone know how to use them? I drove to them, and it seemed like it should have opened up a garage door or at least have a little arrow, but nothing happened. What should I be looking for?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #634
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I failed it about 14 times because I kept crashing the bike (or I would barely nudge something and I'd lose control and then I'd go flying -- some sweet crashes btw) and it wasn't until I figured that I could grab a car that I could finally beat it.

I thought about trying a car, but I had to go work a ballgame. I'll give that a try tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i messed up a lot cuz i was trying to drive a motorcycle at a high speed (which is damn near difficult as it is) AND shoot him with my uzi at the same time, which, as noted above, is not required.

Yeah, it was the 'driving at high speed' part that was getting me. Trying to stay close enough not to get the 'he got away' message, I was running into lampposts and stuff. Problem is, I don't think there are any cars REAL close to Firefly Island, so I'm wondering if I can even jack one before he gets too much of a lead on me for me to close it.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #635
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Hmm...the garage locations...anyone know how to use them? I drove to them, and it seemed like it should have opened up a garage door or at least have a little arrow, but nothing happened. What should I be looking for?

Are you talking about the old garage type locations to save your car? If so, this game just uses a reserved parking space instead.

As an aside, Brucie is great comic relief.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #636
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Are you talking about the old garage type locations to save your car? If so, this game just uses a reserved parking space instead.

THAT'S BECAUSE HE'S ALPHA, MAN!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #637
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Well, I do know about the reserved parking spaces outside of the safehouse, but there is an icon on my map called "garage".
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #638
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

My car never seems to stay in the reserved parking spot. I must not be parking it in quite the right spot.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #639
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:

....and thank you for that.

Think of it this way, if the ho doesn't get in, just be the pimp and
slap that ho.

"Pimps up, ho's down!"
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #640
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
My car never seems to stay in the reserved parking spot. I must not be parking it in quite the right spot.

I know for the first 3 hideouts, there are big yellow squares painted on the street with room for 2 cars.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #641
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Has anyone picked up the shotgun inside the Triangle Strip Club, and gone on a rampage inside?

Blew the security guys head off, and took out the bouncers, and a few of the ho's inside.
Made it back to my safe house with a 3 star wanted level, after also taking a few cops out in the process.

I'm dangerous I tell 'ya, say something wrong, and it's off with 'ya head!
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #642
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Brucie is just like "The Todd" from Scrubs. Makes me laugh a lot
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #643
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Brucie is just like "The Todd" from Scrubs. Makes me laugh a lot

Perfect analogy. He has made me laugh more than any other character. I just had a very interesting chase. I escaped running through a huge park (central park?) from a 3 star cop chase. I think I had created enough chaos that I wasn't the only criminal they were after as I had multiple other criminals shooting at me and the cops
Old 05-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #644
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A question about a hard jump to do in the southeastern section of the 1st island:

Spoiler
Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 AM   #645
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

This game is like crack... I'm just now getting into the multiplayer so we will see how that goes. Money well spent.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #646
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sucks that I cant go solo on multiplayer
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #647
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
This game is like crack...

Holy crap yes. 45% complete now. What a great game.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #648
RainMaker
General Manager

I've been playing for like a week now on and off and am only 20% through. This game is ridiculously deep. I've just started some pigeon killing of late too.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #649
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Sucks that I cant go solo on multiplayer

Huh?

There are several solo modes.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 AM   #650
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Had a great little surprise when it came to the comedian at the comedy club I wasn't aware of going in...even made the wife stop what she was doing and watch.

That was one of my favorite things in the game so far.