Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #601
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Could be. Aside from the Fragile X thing, there is also the dwarfism thing. Surely that would be detectable in a 7 year old...? Wasn't that what the DA said the needle marks on the kid's arm were most likely from - HGH injections? Her parents didn't comment on that, which is odd.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #602
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Most if not all kids who have Fragile X would not appear to be normal healthy kids to their grandparents (or anyone else.) Almost all kids with Fragile X have mental retardation and a large portion of them have physical abnormalities as well. Steroids and HGH are not a common treatment for Fragile X or the associated syndromes that occur with Fragile X. Common treatments are behavioral interventions for the aggression that often occurs in these kids, behavioral interventions to address the social oddities that these children have, and usually antipsychotics as needed if the aggression is too severe. Most kids with Fragile X tend to be overweight or even obese, therefore steroids and HGH would be contraindicated if that was the case. However, there are exceptions and anything is possible with any one individual.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #603
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The grandparents comments seem to be in line with what Bret Hart said (can't remember at the moment whether it was in a newspaper or a later TV appearance).

I've wondered for a couple of days now about the Fragile X "diagnosis" which as far as I can remember originated with a support group activist commenting to a Canadian radio station about it, saying she contacted Benoit about being a public spokesman for the group but he declined. I've (somewhat cynically I admit) wondered ever since Hart's comment to the basic effect that the child was "normal" if perhaps somebody took advantage of the opportunity to try to generate a little publicity for their cause. Maybe he had some issues but not necessarily Fragile X is what I'm trying to say.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #604
molson
General Manager

Chris Jericho also said last night on MSNBC he had no clue about the Fragile X thing, and that Benoit was the kind of guy that wouldn't tell his parents something like that.

Jericho also said that in retrospect, Daniel had all the symptoms - he was clearly under-developed socially, and showed the physical symptoms as well.

With Daniel reaching school-age, it could have been a subject of severe stress for the family that his "condition" was about to be made obvious to the outside world.

Last edited by molson : 06-29-2007 at 04:31 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #605
dime
High School JV

all of the photos I've seen of the kid would suggest that he had some sort of mental and physical disability...obviously suffering from stunted growth, and the expression of his face and eyes wasn't quite right either.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #606
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, at least that's ONE conspiracy theory shot down.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3327310&page=1

Police: Wiki Confession an 'Unbelievable Hindrance'
Computers Tied to Wikipedia Posting About Nancy Benoit Seized by Authorities

apparently the police will name the vandal next week
Old 06-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #607
molson
General Manager

It was kind of refreshing to see Chris Jericho on MSNBC last night, after the parade of bitter ex-wrestlers that have embarrassed themselves and the industry, (Chyna last night, and the Ultimate Warrior tonight, though I haven't seen the latter interview yet). I always assumed Jericho would be back sooner than later, but he does look especially thin here (maybe it's the short hair)

Part ONE: http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_1...Chris_Beno.htm

Part TWO:
http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_1...Grace_Pt_2.htm
Old 06-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #608
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
all of the photos I've seen of the kid would suggest that he had some sort of mental and physical disability...obviously suffering from stunted growth, and the expression of his face and eyes wasn't quite right either.

See that's interesting. I wasn't sure whether the kid was shown in public. So what in the hell are her parents talking about then?! Very strange.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #609
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What was the motivation? A big, tough guy like Benoit can't have a physically or mentally disabled child?

Like I said earlier, to toot my own horn, narcissism. I also presaged the doctor's office raid, btw.

Ok, maybe smileys are a little inappropriate.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 06-30-2007 at 08:15 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #611
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Just wait till that thing fully hits the fan. Benoit's doctor appears to have been the doctor for multiple, current WWE personnel, which is part of the reason for the second office raid and the raiding of the house of the doctor's mother. By the end of the week, this may no longer be the Chris Benoit story.

What new news could be broken? Most WWE stars have already been very publically connected to various doctors regarding their steroids prescriptions. And many of these prescriptions would be considered valid by any doctor (almost every major WWE wrestler I can think of, including Benoit, has had a serious injury over the last few years that would account for valid steroid prescriptions, at least for a time)
Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 AM   #612
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
What new news could be broken? Most WWE stars have already been very publically connected to various doctors regarding their steroids prescriptions. And many of these prescriptions would be considered valid by any doctor (almost every major WWE wrestler I can think of, including Benoit, has had a serious injury over the last few years that would account for valid steroid prescriptions, at least for a time)

I think if more guys are connected at this time, with this doctor, then it's a big deal because now there is a common connection. Steroids in general are something, but still vague. This would show theres a common denominator of it all.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:03 AM   #613
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

AFAIK, anabolic steroids are in no way approved for prescription to patients suffering from any sort of common injury. If indeed wrestlers have been "publically connected to various doctors in the past", that has no bearing on what prosecutions might be made now. This is a major, national story and the DAs are itching to prosecute anyone they can. Given that the media has played up the steroid angle it's certainly not going to be ignored by the DAs office.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 07-01-2007 at 05:44 AM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #614
dime
High School JV

while we're at it, let's bust whoever is letting all those high school kids buy cigarettes.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #615
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
AFAIK, anabolic steroids are in no way approved for prescription to patients suffering from any sort of common injury. If indeed wrestlers have been "publically connected to various doctors in the past", that has no bearing on what prosecutions might be made now. This is a major, national story and the DAs are itching to prosecute anyone they can. Given that the media has played up the steroid angle it's certainly not going to be ignored by the DAs office.

Makes sense, I just don't see "wrestlers are on steroids!" as a big bombshell story.

And I know absolutely nothing about when steroids are "approved for prescriptions", but many wrestlers have suffered beyond what I would call a "common injury" - Benoit himself had a spinal cord injury that kept him out of the ring for a year. It's pretty much expected that when a wrestler returns from a major injury, he's going to back huger than usual, and then gradually get smaller.

If doctors give wrestlers prescriptions when they really shouldn't (which I'm 100% sure happens), what's the legal ramifications? It would seem more like a medical licensing issue than a criminal one - and if there were criminal charges, I would think the doctors would be the ones on the hook. And I'm pretty sure we've already been down that road once or twice before.

And none of this seems like as big a deal as the Vince Steroid trial. After Vince got out of the "steroid business" by the skin of his teeth, wrestlers found this new way to get their fix.

Last edited by molson : 07-01-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #616
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Makes sense, I just don't see "wrestlers are on steroids!" as a big bombshell story.

And I know absolutely nothing about when steroids are "approved for prescriptions", but many wrestlers have suffered beyond what I would call a "common injury" - Benoit himself had a spinal cord injury that kept him out of the ring for a year. It's pretty much expected that when a wrestler returns from a major injury, he's going to back huger than usual, and then gradually get smaller.

If doctors give wrestlers prescriptions when they really shouldn't (which I'm 100% sure happens), what's the legal ramifications? It would seem more like a medical licensing issue than a criminal one - and if there were criminal charges, I would think the doctors would be the ones on the hook. And I'm pretty sure we've already been down that road once or twice before.

And none of this seems like as big a deal as the Vince Steroid trial. After Vince got out of the "steroid business" by the skin of his teeth, wrestlers found this new way to get their fix.

Wrestlers on steroids isn't a bombshell, but the Feds having been cracking down on steroid distribution for the past few years so its probably going to get a lot more federal interest this time around. I could definitely see Vince and a few current and retired wrestlers sitting in front of congress if things get particularly bad.

Distribution and posession of steroids without a legal prescription is a felony and if I'm not mistaken, the Controlled Substances Act has the same penalties for posession and distributions. However, the feds have been focused more on distribution so the doctor would probably be in a lot more trouble than any wrestlers would be in.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #617
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I could definitely see Vince and a few current and retired wrestlers sitting in front of congress if things get particularly bad.

I was pondering this possibility a little bit earlier today.

Among the things that crossed my mind were:
-- oh great, they'll call in the same motley collection that made the talk show rounds. Thought ought to be fun to watch.
-- most members of Congress don't seem to understand things they've been studying for years, there's about zero chance they'll understand this either
-- when will they start the hearings on drug use in other entertainment areas such as movies & music?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #618
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
-- oh great, they'll call in the same motley collection that made the talk show rounds. Thought ought to be fun to watch.

Jim Hellwig testifying in front of Congress would be the greatest thing in the history of our country.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #619
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jim Hellwig testifying in front of Congress would be the greatest thing in the history of our country.

Especially if he's followed by Joanie Laurer.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #620
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Especially if he's followed by Joanie Laurer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4zuI...elated&search=

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #621
spleen1015
Coordinator

Cowherd is saying Benoit killed his son using is in-ring finishing move.

What's up with that?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #622
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Cowherd is saying Benoit killed his son using is in-ring finishing move.

What's up with that?

That Cowherd is an incredible blowhard witha moronic sense of humor? Dunno, just guessing.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #623
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's the English papers that are speculating
Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #624
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It's the English papers that are speculating

That may be what's brought it back up today or something but I first saw that speculation in the Atlanta paper within a couple of days of the murders at most.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #625
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
That Cowherd is an incredible blowhard witha moronic sense of humor? Dunno, just guessing.

You're right in general, but this instance, the Cripple Crossface theory is the working theory of investigators, because the marks found (and not found) on the kid don't really support anything else.

My guess is that that's not TOO far off, that he used some kind of choke hold from behind that probably resembled a modified version of the crossfrace. I'm going to assume that he didn't actually work the kid's arm though.

Last edited by molson : 07-02-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #626
Ksyrup

Since early last week, there was speculation that he killed him with some kind of sleeper hold, since the reports were that no marks were found on his neck. This is speculation, but I believe it is based on info provided by authorities.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #627
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Congressperson 1: "So, do you want to solve the pending health care crisis in America today?"

Congressperson 2: "Nah."

Congressperson 1: "Yeah. Me neither. But we should probably do something to justify our existence."

Congressperson 2: "Meh. I guess. You wanna just get some wrestlers in here and berate them for using steroids?"

Congressperson 1: "Beats working. I'll get my secretary to draw up the subpeonas this afternoon."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #628
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
One of the texts alerted the individuals that his doors were open and his two dogs were outside
Does that seem really shady to anyone else, considering what happened? The conspiracy theorist in me says thats some sort of coded message.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #629
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eh, I dunno about shady. From what other reports seemed to indicate, he had 2 giant attack dogs. He supposedly had them penned up, and the side door open. Supposedly so whomever would discover his corpse wouldn't have to shoot the dogs if they were attacked.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #630
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Does that seem really shady to anyone else, considering what happened? The conspiracy theorist in me says thats some sort of coded message.

It sounds like what he was doing was making sure the bodies were found as quickly as possible. He's saying the doors were open, and that the (dangerous) German Shephards were enclosed in a pool area, so it's safe to just walk in the house.

Edit: Chavo Guerrero, who received the message, would have known about the dogs (and presumably, how dangerous they were) since he stayed there a day or two before this happened.

Last edited by molson : 07-02-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #631
Ksyrup

Benoit's doc has surrendered to the Feds to face a charge regarding improper dispensing of meds.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #632
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Who is Jim Helwig?

I only know Warrior Warrior.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #633
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fox News just reported that the investigation into Chris Benoit's doctor revealed that Dr. Phil Astin is accused with supplying "Benoit with a ten month supply of steroids, every three or four weeks, from May 2006 to May 2007.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #634
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
That's my bet. This is a bizarre case, and a horrible crime, and its a sensational story, but there's nothing here to drag it out for months to keep it in the media, or to keep it coming back. There will be a toxicology report in a little under 2 weeks that will make a headline, and maybe a couple reports after that about the violent, dangerous, destructive world of professional wrestling, and that will be it. If there was a murder trial, I'd suggest differently, but with this being a murder/suicide, it makes for a *very* sensational story right now but nothing to keep it in the spotlight for a long enough term to make a difference.

I disagree. The steroids problem has been simmering for a while now. Remember the last Olympics? Or the last Tour de France, where ALL of the top riders were busted? (can anyone even name the real champ?) To say nothing of baseball and football. I'm actually amazed noone has gotten busted in the NBA yet. Gruelling schedule and nagging injuries? check. Big rewards for athleticism and performance? check. In fact, just about every sport is ripe for performance enhancers. now you have a brutal murder that confirms everyone's worse fears: these superstrong athletes are not only soiling the sanctity of our games (wank), but they're a threat to society!
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #635
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Fox News just reported that the investigation into Chris Benoit's doctor revealed that Dr. Phil Astin is accused with supplying "Benoit with a ten month supply of steroids, every three or four weeks, from May 2006 to May 2007.

Assuming that is true, goodbye medical license.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #636
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Assuming that is true, goodbye medical license.

No question on that one. . . but was Benoit using all of those for himself? A ten month supply every three weeks? Could he have possibly used that much or was he dealing them on the side?

If he was using that much, I can start to understand how this happened a little better.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #637
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How much coin per year would a guy like Benoit typically make?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #638
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
No question on that one. . . but was Benoit using all of those for himself? A ten month supply every three weeks? Could he have possibly used that much or was he dealing them on the side?

If he was using that much, I can start to understand how this happened a little better.

If he was abusing steroids, he'd be taking 3-4 times the normal dosage, so thats right in line with the amounts he was given.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #639
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If he was abusing steroids, he'd be taking 3-4 times the normal dosage, so thats right in line with the amounts he was given.

OK, I'm at work here, but isn't it closer to 10 to 10.5 times? 10 months worth ever 3 weeks?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #640
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
OK, I'm at work here, but isn't it closer to 10 to 10.5 times? 10 months worth ever 3 weeks?

Yeah, I misread that. From what I've read it really depends on the steroid being abused, so its hard to judge if that amount is out of line with steroid abuse. Even 100 times the amount used for medicinal treatment isn't uncommon for some steroids.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #641
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How much coin per year would a guy like Benoit typically make?

It can vary a ton based on how many PPVs a guy is in over a year, and how good business is, but I'd guess that over the last 5 years, his range was about $125k-$250k. Probably on the lower end over the last year, and higher when he was main eventing 3-4 years ago.

Last edited by molson : 07-02-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #642
Atocep
Coordinator

Vince has to be hoping that Benoit is the only name that docor treated. If this becomes too widespread Vince will be answering some pretty tough questions. His steroid policy is laughable, the 10-1 ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone is rather pathetic. WADA recently went from 6-1 down to 4-1 and the NFL followed suit.

At 10-1 you could still abuse steroids, if careful, and never test positive. Some Olympic athletes were saying 6-1 was easy to stay under.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #643
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Before we get too carried away, I don't know what Fox knows that the AP doesn't, but the official story says this:

"The seven-count indictment said Dr. Phil Astin dispensed drugs including Percocet, Xanax, Lorcet and Vicoprofen between April 2004 and September 2005. The recipients were identified in the indictment by the initials O.G. and M.J. Benoit's initials were not listed. "

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-02-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #644
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Highest paid right now would be Cena and HHH. I'm guessing somewhere between $500k to six figures.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #645
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=25267&p=1

Scott Ballard, District Attorney of Fayette County in Georgia issued the following statement this afternoon to gossip website TMZ.com:

"There are additional reports that contradict the earlier information that suggested that Daniel Benoit may have suffered from Dwarf Syndrome or Fragile X Syndrome. Daniel's family denies that he suffered from either condition. As a result of the family's concerns, the Fayette County Sheriff's investigators and the District Attorney's Office have inquired into this matter. A source having access to certain of Daniel's medical reports reviewed those reports, and they do not mention any pre-existing mental or physical impairment. Reports from Daniel's educators likewise contradict the claims that Daniel was physically undersized. The educators report that Daniel graduated kindergarten and was prepared to enter the first grade on par with the other students."
Old 07-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #646
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. I just didn't see any reason for the child's grandparents to lie about this, and I'm quite sure they would have noticed something different about this kid if he really had Fragile X.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:49 PM   #647
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Highest paid right now would be Cena and HHH. I'm guessing somewhere between $500k to six figures.

I've heard rumors HHH and Cena are over 2 million per year, not taking in merchandise. It's safe to assume with merch and endorsements Cena is probably closer to 5 mil then 1 mil
Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #648
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
It can vary a ton based on how many PPVs a guy is in over a year, and how good business is, but I'd guess that over the last 5 years, his range was about $125k-$250k. Probably on the lower end over the last year, and higher when he was main eventing 3-4 years ago.

That seems quite low, imo. I would not be surprised if Beniot was close to $1 million per year (contract + merchandise, etc).

With that being said, they are all independent contracts, and therefore pay all their flights, hotel, car rentals, any health care, insurance, etc.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #649
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

On the Paperwork Nancy Benoit filed for divorce in 2003 it said he was making 500K a year at the time. Sure it couldn't have dropped that much since then.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #650
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think all the estimates are probably in line. I'd think since he was working about 150-200 nights a year, that he'd be making between 1000-1500 per show, and probably 3-4 times that amount per PPV. So something like 500k sounds right within a couple hundred thousand either way sounds plausible anyways.

Although with WCW out of the buisiness, I wonder if salaries have gradually moved downward.