Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 PM   #601
kingfc22
Head Coach

pass the ball Jackson!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #602
kingfc22
Head Coach

How is that a flagrant foul? A foul, hell yea. Flagrant??? Please.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #603
kingfc22
Head Coach

This is a fucking joke! How do you not give a T to Boozer?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:47 PM   #604
kingfc22
Head Coach

I love how Boozer can give a full two-handed shove under the basket every fucking time and not get a foul called on him.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #605
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate the Jazz, but the Warriors have way too many turds on their team for me to root for them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #606
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Well..that was an interesting last minute of the third quarter...the Warriors are lucky to still be down 4....They're gonna need to hit some outside shots if they want any shot of winning this game and staying alive.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:52 PM   #607
Jas_lov
College Starter

Very surprising only being down 4 after all these T's and the flagrant foul. Especially only shooting 4-20 from the 3 point line. Free throws have kept them in the game.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #608
kingfc22
Head Coach

what a game...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:14 AM   #609
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Warriors just can't get over the hump right now...can't take the lead. These playoffs are driving me to drink...in a good way, though.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 AM   #610
Jas_lov
College Starter

Doesn't look good for the Warriors. The 3s just haven't gone down all night. Derek Fisher has made a big impact here in the 4th quarter.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #611
kingfc22
Head Coach

Kirilenko flew half way across the court. Nice acting buddy.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #612
kingfc22
Head Coach

Well it was a fun ride while it lasted. Here's hoping that the Suns can somehow survive the suspensions so that we are not stuck with boring, unwatchable, foul crazy basketball
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #613
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Well..shit..looks like Utah's gonna take this game and the series. Very tough way for it to end. 3 losses that could have been wins. Well, at least I finally got to experience some playoff basketball as a fan. It's been a fun ride.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 AM   #614
Arles
Grey Dog Software

First, I don't have a major issue with the reasoning - it certainly is defensible. But, the entire argument for the rule gets lost while trying to adhere to some "precedent" from a decade ago. I think Chris Sheridan put it best:

"But just because a rule was enforced with a lack of common sense in the past does not mean it must be enforced unreasonably in perpetuity."

There have been poor rule precedents throughout the league's history, but that doesn't mean you have to continue down this road leading in the wrong direction.

David Stern could have easily said "the spirit of the rule was not to reward cheap shot attacks and therefore we need to relook at its implementation when it relates to these events. For this reason, no suspension will be levied for the Robert Horry incident."

Outside of bitter Knick fans and Spurs fans, I don't know of many NBA fans that would have felt the above response was unfair. Instead, Stern once again lacked the intestinal fortitude to do what is right. And, to make it even more laughable, he immediately cancelled his trip to Phoenix on Wednesday - instead choosing to now go to Cleveland. That's a commissioner with courage in his convictions...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #615
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
And, to make it even more laughable, he immediately cancelled his trip to Phoenix on Wednesday - instead choosing to now go to Cleveland. That's a commissioner with courage in his convictions...

LMAO.. Now that's funny.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 AM   #616
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well it was a fun ride while it lasted. Here's hoping that the Suns can somehow survive the suspensions so that we are not stuck with boring, unwatchable, foul crazy basketball

A great description of the Dallas-GS series if you ask me.

Quote:
David Stern could have easily said "the spirit of the rule was not to reward cheap shot attacks and therefore we need to relook at its implementation when it relates to these events. For this reason, no suspension will be levied for the Robert Horry incident."

Outside of bitter Knick fans and Spurs fans, I don't know of many NBA fans that would have felt the above response was unfair.

Eh, I'm a Spurs fan and I don't think it would have been unfair. Horry should be suspended, but the rest of the stuff in this series has been much ado about nothing. And Stoudemire and Diaw should play -- San Antonio blew the series by failing to finish an otherwhise excellent game 4, and Phoenix showed how good they are -- at least an equal if not the better team. They deserve an unfettered shot, and now they aren't going to get it. Now, if San Antonio wins the next two and goes on to win the title, it'll have an asterisk by it. The NBA really ticks me off sometimes.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-16-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 AM   #617
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Seriously - the only people defending those actions are Spurs fans.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:55 AM   #618
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I dunno, a lot of people are defending the worse actions by Golden State.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 AM   #619
Vince
Pro Starter

[standing ovation]

Great season, Warriors. Keep the improvement up, pick up a big man, and we'll see you in the postseason again next year.

[/standing ovation]
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #620
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am happy this did not situation did not involved a Ron Artest or Stephen Jackson personality. I don't want the player personality/reputation to cloud the debate over this ruling.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #621
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Woot! Go Jazz Go!

Warriors played hard and tough, I have to be honest, these past 2 series have had to wear on the Jazz, I don't see a good series for us against either teams.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #622
miami_fan
Coordinator

David Stern is on fire on Dan Patrick show right now. Wow.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #623
Arles
Grey Dog Software

"The Robert Horry play will not impact the outcome of the series"

Wow

Last edited by Arles : 05-16-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #624
Logan
Head Coach

Love or hate the Sports Guy, he nailed this column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...6&sportCat=nba

Last edited by Logan : 05-16-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #625
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I agree with Simmons on that. Although, I do think Stern has more leeway when it comes to suspensions than everyone seems to state.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #626
Logan
Head Coach

How? To my knowledge, there is exactly one rule on the books that lists a clear "act committed - discipline issued" guideline, and this is it. Fighting or hard fouls on the court don't have any such interpretation, and it's why we don't see suspensions for things like the Richardson and Davis plays discussed before.

Earlier in the thread, after hearing about the suspensions, someone said "The NBA is now admitting to fixing their games." But who would have a better claim of a fix? The team who now has to go up against two players who clearly violated a stupid rule, but weren't punished, or the team who loses two players who clearly violated a stupid rule, but were punished?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #627
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Well, I have to tip my hat to the Jazz, they really proved me wrong. They proved they were a more mature team than my Warriors, but for a team that shouldn't even have been there, the Warriors sure surprised alot of people. Good job this year boys.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #628
miami_fan
Coordinator

I agree with Glen Beck and Bill Simmons all in the same week. Ack!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #629
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I keep hearing that if the Nets lose this series, that the team ought to get blown up. I wonder what they'd do with it. I mean, Carter is a free agent and can't Kidd opt out? Or maybe not? I dunno. In any case....I can't see what they'd do, save for spending money to get better.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #630
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I keep hearing that if the Nets lose this series, that the team ought to get blown up. I wonder what they'd do with it. I mean, Carter is a free agent and can't Kidd opt out? Or maybe not? I dunno. In any case....I can't see what they'd do, save for spending money to get better.

The Nets' whole offseason revolves around what they can get for Jason Kidd.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #631
amdaily
College Prospect

Why is Larry Hughes still taking shots at this point??

1 for 14, fuck
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #632
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, come on Larry, you can shoot your way out of this slump! Law of averages has to work out for you sooner or later.

Just a lame ass 3rd Q, no matter how you look at it... at least score 10 points guys.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #633
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Damn. I had the game off and all of a sudden, I turn it back on and the Nets are up by 22? Shit. They could win this series. 3-1 down doesn't really mean much when the team they're playing against is younger and not necessarily better.

I'd rather them not win it, only because Deeeetroit will slash them on the way to the Finals.

But still, I appreciate the fact that they're not quite ready to go home yet.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #634
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And let me just say, I've seen probably a half dozen or so of Nets games this year. Miki Moore has impressed me.

I don't like him a starter on a team that's probably thinks of itself as a serious contender, but off the bench? He'd be a heck of a guy.

Or maybe he's one of those guys that only plays well when you let him get the rust off, meaning he needs 20 or 30 minutes a game to get going.

I dunno. But he's played well from what I can tell most of the year. Nice pickup. Too bad Kristic is out.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #635
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post
Why is Larry Hughes still taking shots at this point??

1 for 14, fuck

And Marshall catching up at 0-7! This is sickening to even watch.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #636
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
And let me just say, I've seen probably a half dozen or so of Nets games this year. Miki Moore has impressed me.

I don't like him a starter on a team that's probably thinks of itself as a serious contender, but off the bench? He'd be a heck of a guy.

Or maybe he's one of those guys that only plays well when you let him get the rust off, meaning he needs 20 or 30 minutes a game to get going.

I dunno. But he's played well from what I can tell most of the year. Nice pickup. Too bad Kristic is out.

Mikki Moore has bounced around the league for a long time now, and it's been a head scratcher for me. Whenever he gets time he seems to do well, but then he winds up forgotten come FA time.

As you say, he's not a guy I'd start on a contending team, but he's a rotation guy on most teams IMO, just solely for his ability to score.

He isn't particularily great at any one other area of the game, but he does hit the boards and challenges shots, too.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #637
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Bron Bron is young and all, but...he should have some sort of sixth gear to turn it up. If he doesn't go to New Jersey, put down 50 and will the Cavs to victory, I'll sincerely believe that Kobe is the single best player in the NBA.

Because seriously...Kobe seems to just will his team to win. Bron has more parts around him and they just languish at key moments when they need to shine.

They should've closed this Series out tonight and instead, they got smoked. J Kidd is a beast and I know he wants the playoffs BAD, because I think he feels like if he gets to the Finals, they have a shot to win it all and that if he wins the title in Jersey, that it'll cement his legacy with the all-time greats..because he knows that he's synonymous with Jersey, given how this whole stint has redefined his career.

But as bad as I want it for him -- for that reason alone -- I just can't see a starting five that includes Jason Collins and Miki Moore delivering him to the promised land.

I root for him and KG to end up somewhere together to really put it down.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:59 PM   #638
Groundhog
Coordinator

Good first half for the Suns but, man, can they really play a 6-man rotation all game? Could be an interesting 2nd half...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #639
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bron Bron is young and all, but...he should have some sort of sixth gear to turn it up. If he doesn't go to New Jersey, put down 50 and will the Cavs to victory, I'll sincerely believe that Kobe is the single best player in the NBA.

Because seriously...Kobe seems to just will his team to win. Bron has more parts around him and they just languish at key moments when they need to shine.

They should've closed this Series out tonight and instead, they got smoked. J Kidd is a beast and I know he wants the playoffs BAD, because I think he feels like if he gets to the Finals, they have a shot to win it all and that if he wins the title in Jersey, that it'll cement his legacy with the all-time greats..because he knows that he's synonymous with Jersey, given how this whole stint has redefined his career.

But as bad as I want it for him -- for that reason alone -- I just can't see a starting five that includes Jason Collins and Miki Moore delivering him to the promised land.

I root for him and KG to end up somewhere together to really put it down.

LeBron is not the type of guy who can score 50 at will. He's not a good enough of a shooter for starters. And then everyone packs it in, runs a box and one, he more or less has to pick his spots to drive, since he pretty much can't in the zone era. I wish we had Redd or Allen or Joe Johnso, as Larry Hughes is a fucking disgrace. If he can't shoot well enough to break apart the 3 guys that are guarding LeBron at any moment, they'll lose the next two games and go home for the offseason.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #640
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Good first half for the Suns but, man, can they really play a 6-man rotation all game? Could be an interesting 2nd half...

Good to see Ginobli is back to flopping...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 PM   #641
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
"". The 6-man rotation isn't exactly easy to pull of in a run-n-gun, especially when Barbosa has 5 fouls. I fear Phoenix is going to run out of gas here.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #642
JeeberD
General Manager

Jeff Van Gundy has been axed and the Rockets are going to most likely bring in *gag* Rick Adelman...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4816337.html

Van Gundy dismissed as Rockets coach

y JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Jeff Van Gundy was fired as Rockets coach on Friday, less than two weeks after the Rockets' first-round loss to the Utah Jazz.

After initial ambivalence about returning to the team as coach, Van Gundy had made his desire to be back clear. The Rockets, however, had already begun an extensive interview process with former Kings, Warriors and Trail Blazers coach Rick Adelman who is considered the only candidate to replace Van Gundy.

Van Gundy had told the Rockets that he would not object to the team looking into its coaching options.

On Thursday, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey offered Van Gundy another position with the team, expected to be in a consulting role. Van Gundy has turned down that role.

Van Gundy was 430-318 in 11 seasons as an NBA coach, 182-146 in four seasons with the Rockets. He has a 44-44 postseason record, losing in the first round to the Lakers in 2004, the Mavericks in 2005 and the Jazz this season. Their trip to the 2004 post season was their first since 1999. The Rockets' 52-win season this year was their best since 1996-97

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #643
miami_fan
Coordinator

Listening to some reports earlier today, the Rockets' owner wants the new coach to run a style similar to the system the Suns run. Yao Ming has a lot of conditioning work to do if he is suppose play Amare to.....ummmm....... who exactly would be that Steve Nash wanna be? Mike Bibby?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #644
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow, Kidd is averaging a triple-double these playoffs...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #645
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Listening to some reports earlier today, the Rockets' owner wants the new coach to run a style similar to the system the Suns run. Yao Ming has a lot of conditioning work to do if he is suppose play Amare to.....ummmm....... who exactly would be that Steve Nash wanna be? Mike Bibby?

Les Alexander is dreaming if he thinks the Rockets can be a run and gun team. the Rockets are the exact opposite of the Suns. they would have to completly rebuild to do that. what they really need is a PG, PF, and an athletic slasher
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #646
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Les Alexander is dreaming if he thinks the Rockets can be a run and gun team. the Rockets are the exact opposite of the Suns. they would have to completly rebuild to do that. what they really need is a PG, PF, and an athletic slasher

A better model would be the Trailblazers of the early 90's.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #647
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post

Hey, same as the Knicks! Both our squads must be in good shape.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #648
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Nets suck. Ugh. I hope they implode that team and do something useful. Not that it'll matter much.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #649
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Doesn't seem like Cleveland wants this Series bad enough.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #650
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
A better model would be the Trailblazers of the early 90's.

Hell, or the Houston Rockets of the mid 90s.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote